Title: Sugar Rush

By Shelly

E-Mail: thebogarts@sprintmail.com

Rating: R for now, slash later.

Feedback: If you wanna

Archive: If you want it, its yours

Pairing: Spike/Xander eventually

Summary: Spike helps Xander deal with a fear of needles and diabetes.

A/N: The idea is my own but Sarah talked me into writing it. I apologize in advance for all the medical details. The website I took these symptoms from stresses you may have SOME or NONE. To make it easier on myself Xander has the stereotypical, easily recognized ones. Xander is 18, graduated, and working in construction. Spike is already chipped but it only works with intent to harm. No intent, no zap. The Magic Box does not belong to Giles yet. Willow and Buffy are in college.

Disclaimers: The only thing that is mine is the concept of what to do with the boys.

 

Sugar Rush

By Shelly

The hand saw buzzes along the wood stretched across the two saw horses. Xander wipes his sweaty forehead with the back of a very grimy arm. He turns the saw off and is briefly mesmerized by the glitter of a slowing blade. He blinks away the perspiration streaming into his eyes and shakes his head to clear it. He momentarily wonders what made him stop when the horn signaling the end of the workday sounds again. He looks up and shrugs at his own intense concentration. He waves and smiles at the other men as he gathers up his water jug, cooler, and backpack. He gives one last admiring glance at the cabinet door he just finished cutting before heading towards his car. He tosses everything in the back seat and gets in. Feeling thirsty, he reaches for his water jug, flips up the spout, and takes a big swig of-nothing. Despite filling his jug numerous times today, it is once again empty. He sure is thirsty lately. He returns the jug to the back seat and drives off. He checks his watch at the first red light and realizes he's going to be late, again, for Scooby meeting night. He groans as he pulls into his usual parking spot at the Watcher's house. He looks down ruefully at the dirt covering his clothing and futilely tries to dust himself off. With a sigh he gives in and starts up the walk to the front door. It opens before he can knock and he suddenly has his arms full of hugging redhead.

"Willow! When did you get back from your trip?" he asks with real happiness. He thought she was going to be gone until next week. He hugs her hard one last time then sets her on her feet. Normally he can hold the petite girl much longer but he's been exceptionally tired as of late.

"I got back just now. Well not just now, I got back earlier today. I think it was about one o'clock. But it could have been two... Oh Xander, I’m so happy so see you! I’ve missed everyone. How was your day? Are you still building the same house?"

"Willow, breathe!"

She stops immediately and blushes, " Sorry."

"Its okay. You’re just being my Wills, " he says with a grin as the two finally enter Giles' home. He doesn't see the older man and guesses he is in the kitchen making snacks.

"Xand-Man needs a drink, Wills. Need something?" he remembers to add as he heads for the kitchen.

"No, I'm good."

"Oi! Didn't ask me, Whelp!" the vampire tied-up in the corner comments.

Xander ignores Spike and enters the other room. Giles is at the sink filling his favorite teapot.

*****

Back in the living room the vampire is grumbling about the youth of today and their lack of manners. Buffy and Willow both ignore him.

*****

"G-Man! How's my favorite Watcher?" he asks as he spies the pitcher of ice water on the counter. He looks at the glass he's holding then picks up the pitcher and starts draining it instead.

"I have repeatedly asked you not to call me that Alexander, " Giles turns around, stressing the Alexander, only to stop the chastisement in surprise. "My word! You are certainly thirsty, " he says in concern.

"Yeah, hauling lumber and swinging hammers is hard work!" Xander wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and sees the other man smile.

"Something funny, G-Man?"
"Do stop calling me-Oh never mind. Perhaps you should borrow the shower, Xander. You look as if you’ve been rolling around on the ground, " Giles says with amusement.

"Sounds good G-Man. Tell the girls I'll be back down soon. Could you make some more water? I'm still thirsty, " he tosses back as he heads up the stairs to the guest bath.

He opens the curtain and turns the hot water on to warm the shower. While the water heats up, he sits down on the toilet seat to unlace his work boots. The dirt and general grime have created knots and he is ready to cut the laces with his pocketknife when they finally give. He eases the boots off then looks in amazement at his black socks. You would think the boots would protect them but enough dust sifted down to turn white socks, black. He peels them off with disgust and drops them on Giles shiny bathroom floor. He wiggles his toes with delight then pulls his blue t-shirt over his head. Flecks of dried paint and other construction debris drift down from his ruffled hair. Shirt off, he relaxes back against the toilet tank for a minute, letting the cool porcelain soothe his sunburned skin. He looks down at this chest and looks ruefully at this dirt-encrusted torso. Streaks outline his developing muscles. He reaches into the shower and turns the cold water on to adjust the temperature. When the water is perfect for his aching muscles, he stands up to peel his jeans off. Tired fingers fumble open his button fly and he vows to buy more jeans with snaps. Dried cement from brushing against the mixer is making it difficult to unzip his fly. He finally tugs hard enough to break the zipper and sheds both boxers and jeans with one move. He tiredly steps into the stream of water and immediately ducks under the spray. The water turns black before swirling down the drain. He pours out a small puddle of shampoo and massages it into his filthy dark locks. He grabs the shower gel and squirts some on the loofah. Scrubbing every inch of his skin, he finally feels that he might be clean again. He looks down at his limp penis and realizes he’s too exhausted to really enjoy this shower. He never thought he would bee too tired for THAT! He rinses out the shampoo as quickly as possible, turns off the water, and climbs out of the shower even more tiredly than he entered. Grabbing a couple of towels he wraps one around his waist and uses another to scrub his hair. Then he realizes he doesn’t have a change of clothes, and after glancing at the mess on the floor he refuses to put those gross things on his now clean body. He shrugs and making sure his towel is tight, he heads back down the stairs. He hopes Giles made that water he asked for. Buffy and Willow don’t notice anything strange and don’t comment as Xander walks behind the couch they are sitting on. He hears a wolf whistle and looks up with a grin, blushing. To his disgust, Spike is leering at him. He yanks the towel tighter and races into the kitchen.

*****

Spike is tied so tightly he can’t even twiddle his thumbs and is bored. The girls and the Watcher have long since stopped paying attention to his taunts and threats. The boy is still fun to wind up but he’s upstairs right now. He hears a creak and whips his head to the top of the stairs. It should be a crime to cover up the body he sees. The kid is starting to bulk up from all that nail pounding and his soft curls are tossed from the shower. He notes Xander is still hunched and can’t believe that the teen can look that fuckable and still lack confidence. He sees the non-reaction of the girls and snorts in disbelief. His wolf whistle causes a lovely flush to cover every square inch of Xander he can see. With a smallish towel, that’s a lot. He licks his lips as the dash for the kitchen shifts the fabric enough he catches a glimpse of the kid’s arse. He groans softly as his treat enters the kitchen and moves out of sight.

"Ropes too tight, Fangless?" Buffy asks sweetly.

"What are you talking about you bloody bint?" Spike snarls.

"The groan, Blondie?" Buffy asks in a ‘Duh’ tone.

*****

Willow is accustomed to ignoring the two and works on her Calculus.

*****

"You tellin me you didn’t notice that?!" the vampire asks, bewildered.

"Only thing I saw was Xander and a neutered vampire, " taunts Buffy. "Now shut up, homework girl here."

Spike growls, he can’t believe they take their friend for granted. He continues to watch the kitchen door in the hopes of catching another glimpse of minimal towel boy.

*****

An out of breath Xander peeks out a partially open door and Eeps as Spike sees him and smirks.

"Xander?" Giles questions in a shocked tone. He doesn't understand why the teen ran into the kitchen as if the Hounds of Hell are chasing him. And why is he wearing-er not wearing-a towel?

Xander gives another undignified squeak as he whirls to face the Watcher. "Er, uh, hi G-Man, " he smiles weakly then spies the pitcher of ice water on the counter.

"Would you care to explain to me why-Oh dear me, " he exclaims as Xander starts draining another pitcher.

Xander is drinking so quickly he ends up pouring quite a bit on his bare chest. He doesn't even pause as the icy water raises goose bumps. He drinks half the contents before glancing sheepishly at Giles.

"Um, thanks for the water, " he ducks his head. Then he glances down and realizes he walked through the house, passing Willow and Buffy, in a towel.

With no small amount of amusement, the older man watches understanding reach Xander. "Please stay here Xander while I get you something more substantial than that towel, " he smiles gently as he heads out for clothes.

Xander groans and sits down in a kitchen chair. His surrogate Dad saw him a towel. The obnoxious undead saw him in a towel. Oh God, the GIRLS saw him! He looks down at his full body flush. And to top it all off he's still thirsty! Shrugging, he up-ends the pitcher and finishes the water. Thirst finally manageable, he really needs to pee! He hopes Giles hurries up before he has to dash through the living room again. With a shudder, he remembers the wolf whistle and leers. When the kitchen door creaks open he starts to panic but the Watcher steps through. He hands the teen a faded pair of sweatpants and a white T-Shirt. The empty pitcher earns a concerned glance.

"What G-Man, no tweed?" Xander grins, hiding embarrassment with humor.

Giles just gives him a dry look, "I regret to say my tweeds are all in the wash. I dearly hope these will suffice. I must say, ALEXander, you certainly are drinking a great deal of water, " he adds with concern. He turns around so Xander can dress.

"Well, yeah, construction y'know. Thanks for the clothes..." he adds as he quickly pulls the pants on under the towel. With a sigh of relief he releases his death grip on the towel and shrugs the shirt over his head. He feels more secure properly dressed.

"Guess I should go out to the girls. Sorry I was late. I, uh, hope the meeting is short, feeling tired, " he says as he starts for the door.

"Xander?"

The soft questions halts him with one hand on the door.

"Yeah?"

"I do own bigger towels. Before you dash through my home in nothing but, you should find out if it covers your bum. Although from what I have seen it is a nice one. Its just doesn't so to stir up our vampire houseguest, " he finishes.

Xander blushes and creeps out into the living room. Spying the downstairs bathroom, he dashes in and closes the door.

*****

"What's his problem?" Buffy asks Willow.

"Maybe he had to go really bad, Buffy. Now pay attention, you have this problem all wrong, " Willow sighs, sometimes she hates helping the other girl with her schoolwork.

"Slayergirl here, why do I need math for dusting vamps?" she whines.

"Quit your whinging Slayer, making my soddin ears ring!" Spike gripes.

"Don't make me dust you!"

"Would rather be dust than listen to you whinge!"

"Stop it please. This is due tomorrow, Buffy. Ignore him, " Willow finally pleads. These two are giving her a headache.

Grumbling, Buffy goes back to her Calculus. Spike can't flip her off with his hands tied down so he goes back to Whelp-Watching. He may be dressed now but the thin material of the sweatpants nicely outline his arse.

*****

Xander gives a sigh of relief that he finally can pee. He can hear the voices beyond the door but can't make out the words. After flushing the toilet he washes his hands and looks in the mirror. Frowning at the dark circles around his eyes, he exits the room.

"Ah, its my girls! How goes college life?" Xander pulls his mask into place and sits on the couch between Buffy and Willow. Putting an arm around each set of shoulders he pulls them closer and places a kiss on both heads.

"I got a B on my last Calculus test thanks to Willow, " Buffy beams.

"All right Buff! And you, Wills?"

"This is sickening! If you lot were any sweeter me fangs would rot from cavities, " Spike sneers.

"Ah, the dead guy in the corner speaks, Xander replies. "Feeling left out, Fangless? How was your day?" he asks with false sincerity.

"When I get this chip out-" Spike growls. 'I'm gonna shag that tight arse raw, brat!' he thinks.

"Turn the channel, Spike. Seen this show before, " he dismisses the vampire from his thoughts.

*****

Giles finishes with the drinks and walks carefully into the living room. He's re-filled the water pitcher and wonders if he should bother to bring Xander a glass. He sets the tray down and sits in his favorite chair.

"So G-Man, what's the meeting about?"

As the older man needs Xander's help, he'll ignore the nickname for now.

"Buffy, aren't you late for patrol?"

"Oh no!" she gathers up her work and slings on her backpack.

"Thanks again Willow!" she yells as she slams the front door.

"Do you really need me here Mr. Giles? I mean I can stay as long as you need. Oz asked me to watch him play at the Bronze but I don't have to go-"

"Willow, have fun. We shall see you tomorrow evening, " Giles interrupts before the redhead can babble anymore.

"Thank you Mr. Giles! I haven't got to see him all week but I didn't want to ditch the meeting-"

"Yes, thank you for coming, now go, " the Watcher hands her her backpack with a smile.

"Bye Xander!" she calls as she heads out the door.

"Tell Oz hi for me Wills!" Xander says with a grin. Then he turns a suspicious look on the Watcher.

"Okay G-Man, why am I still here?"

The Ex-Librarian unties Spike from the chair. The vampire is still secure, he's just not attached to the chair. As he pulls the vampire up, a long piece of rope dangles down. Without a word, Giles hands the end of the rope to Xander.

"It is your turn to vampire-sit. Between him and Buffy's bickering, I am feeling quite ill. Nothing that a Spike-free week can't cure, I assure you, " he adds as he pushes both men out the door.

"A week?!" Xander stares at the pet vampire-complete with leash-in horror. This is just not happening.

(3)

Three

"Come along, Fangless. Its been a long day and I'm tired, " he sighs with a tug on the rope. He groans when the vampire plants his feet and smirks. "You are so not doing this to me Spike!" he shouts with frustration.

"Not doing anything, Whelp, " Spike says mock-innocently.

"That's the problem, Blondie. Look, if you want your blood we have to go home."

"Well why didn't you say so! Run along now, don't want to be late, " the vampire says and starts for Xander's car.

Xander opens the door for Spike and distractedly buckles him in. Closing the door, he tiredly gets in the driver's seat and starts the engine. During the short ride he glances often at Spike and is disquieted when the vampire leers.

"Hidin a tight arse under yer goofy clothes, Pet, " he is practically drooling.

"Uh, thanks... Oh look, there's the house, " Xander says with relief. He yanks his keys out of the ignition and drags the vampire across the seat, taking him out on the driver's side. His embarrassment causes him to pull Spike so quickly the vampire is having trouble keeping his feet.

"Anxious to be alone with me, Pet?"

"Ew! Shut up Spike, you are sooooooo disgusting, " he growls as he locks the door behind them. "I'm too tired to take care of your undead ass so try to behave, " he comments as he unties the rope and escapes into the bathroom. Once inside he pees again and drinks running water from the faucet until the thirst abates again. He feels so ill and tired he really doesn't care if the vampire leaves.

*****

Spike prepares his dinner and sits down in the chair to drink it. The teen sure has been in the bathroom a long time. Something about him smells off but he shrugs it off in favor of replaying his sight of that arse. Yes he can leave but then he would miss the opportunity to annoy Xander and maybe see that bum again. Thoughts of what he would like to do to the Slayerette keep him amused until Xander creeps out of the bathroom.

*****

Xander grabs his pair of Spongebob Squarepants boxers off the towel rack as he shucks Giles' sweatpants. He pulls up the boxers and reluctantly opens the door, slinking out.

"Nice shorts, Luv. Better with none but those frame your backside nicely."

Xander gives an undignified squeal, " You so need to stop talking about my butt!" he shudders.

"Not the one that flashed all in the Watcher's house, " the vampire grins.

"Wasn't on purpose, " Xander mumbles. He glares when the vampire continues to stare. "What?!"

"Gettin awful thin, Ducks, " Spike comments.

"Been working hard at my job. I'm thrashed, good night!"

Xander stomps over to his bed and gets in, pulling the covers up to his shoulders. His shoulder blades itch and he knows Spike is still watching. "I can't sleep with you looking at me. Go watch TV or something, " Xander hisses.

"Oi! Where'm I sleepin? Vamps need rest too, Watcher's snoring kept me up, " Spike sulks.

"Argh! I don't need this! If you will shut up you can sleep in my bed. Just bring me some water first. And no groping! Keep your undead hands to yourself, " he snarls.

Spike is so surprised Xander's letting him sleep in the bed, he fetches the water without arguing.

"Right thirsty lately, Whelp, " he says with concern.

"Almost forgot, NO TALKING. Flattered you are worried about little ol' me, now shut up and sleep, " Xander moans. He looks longingly at the glass but decides to save it for later. He hears the soft sounds of Spike getting undressed, then the bed dips. He shivers at the chill from the vampire's skin.

Spike tucks the blankets closer around Xander. Then he sniffs, "Still think yer sick, smell off, " he says softly.

Xander pulls the pillow over his head.

Spike shrugs and settles down to get comfortable. Soon after, both males are asleep.

*****

A few hours later Spike is woke up when his bedmate uses the restroom and fixes another glass of water. "Two, " he comments quietly as the human returns to bed.

"Two what, Fangless?" Xander says sleepily.

"Glasses of water, Pet. 'M counting."

The teen snorts, " Think you need a new hobby, " and soon he is back asleep.

Throughout the night, many trips are made to the bathroom and the faucet. Spike continues the count in his head. Finally morning comes and the vampire glances at the still sleeping human. Xander's dark circles are even more prominent after his restless night. His dark hair is limp and dry. The vampire continues to observe the pasty face until his roommate wakes up.

(4)

Xander's mouth and tongue feel like he grew a layer of fuzz overnight. He groans as he peels open his eyelids. His vision is a little blurry this morning. He rolls his head toward his bedmate and blinks owlishly at the out of focus vampire.

"Morning, Pet."

The teen yawns, "Time is it?"

Spike glances quickly at the brightly lit numbers of the boy's digital clock. "Says ten, slept in, " the vampire states.

"Oh shit!" Xander attempts to leap out of bed but has to settle for crawling. His body is too tired to allow quick movements.

Spike leans over the side of the bed, "Where ya goin?"

"Work, I'm late. Need food, need money, ugh, need more sleep, " Xander slumps to the floor halfway to the bathroom. "Need painkillers, lots and lots and lots..." his voice trails off.

Spike waits three impatient minutes while there is no sign of movement. "Back to bed, Luv, 's Saturday. No sleeping on floors, " he coaxes.

"Hard floor, soft bed, floor closer, Xander stay, " the Slayerette mutters.

"Floor hard, bad for sick, sleepy human, " the vampire replies in the same childish speech as he gets off the bed, crosses the room, and carefully scoops the human into his arms.

"Not sick, need to pee, head splitting open, thirsty, tired, but not sick, " the youth insists.

"Right then, bathroom first, Ducks, " and Spike carries him over to the bathroom, tugs down his boxers, then positions him in front of the toilet.

"Can't watch, " Xander says petulantly.

Spike snorts but turns his head to the side. 'Boy's got his bare arse plastered to my groin and he's worried bout me watching.' Finally he hears the toilet flush and pulls the boxers back up.

"Can walk, Fangless, " the teen mumbles.

Spike peers over Xander's shoulder, waits until the bleary eyes focus on him and raises a scarred eyebrow.

"Fine, crawl, can crawl, " Xander amends.

Another snort later he's cradled in the vampire's arms as Spike walks back to the bed. He lays him down and covers him back up. "Stay, " he commands sternly.

Xander barks, flashing a tired grin, " Thirsty."

Spike fixes a glass of ice water and watches Xander drain the contents without taking a breath. He takes the empty glass back then sees the human cover his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Head hurts, need some painkillers."

The vampire watches in amusement as Xander crawls to the edge of the bed.

Xander looks down-from up here the floor seems so far away. With a sigh, he slithers off the bed.

Spike pushes him back down. "Not crawling around on the bloody floor. Look like a right good victim an I can't even bite ya. I'll get the soddin pills, " he snarls.

Xander glares at him as the vampire stomps to the bathroom.

"Sodding, stubborn, sick human. Makin me want ta take him, claim him. Big Bad I am, stupid Pillock. Should be drainin 'im dry, not carin for 'im, " he scowls as he shakes out a handful of pills. Then he stalks back to the teen. "Not doin this again, make 'em last."

Xander grabs four of them and chokes them down before the vampire can stop him.

"S'posed to take two, Whelp! Not watchin yer arse if ya OD. Give me an opportunity to get some fresh human blood fore your body cools."

"Ew! You Spike, are disgusting, " Xander sits up, he's feeling a little less tired. Hopefully the headache leaves soon as well.

Spike leans in close and snuffles Xander's neck. What is that smell?!

"Ew, gross!!!!!!! What the FUCK are you doing?! Get away from me you bleached menace!" Xander backs away from Spike before the wall stops his flight.

The vampire follows him and continues to sniff the youth's skin. When he licks Xander's cheek he is startled to find he tastes just as sweet as he smells.

"Gah! Softening me up for a taste? You have sooooooo lost it! I'm calling G-Man!" the teen screams as he grabs the bedside phone. He's rather surprised when Spike doesn't try to stop him. Shrugging it off, he dials Giles' number.

Spike sits calmly as the boy calls the Watcher. Git won't listen to the chipped vampire, maybe he'll listen to 'Dad'. He barely resists the urge to lick that literally tasty body all over.

#"Hello, Rupert Giles speaking."

#"G-Man, its Xander. Need your help. Spike's giving me the wiggins, " he says with an audible shudder.

#"I see... Did he bite you?"

#"Worse!"

#"Xander, he is not able to torture you, " Giles says with exasperation.

#"Way, way, worse!"

#"Oh dear, he did not try to have sexual intercourse with you?" he says with alarm.

#"Oh, ew, scrubbing brain out from that last image. G-Man, he, he-"

#"Yes??!" Giles says with growing impatience.

#"He LICKED me!" Xander shouts.

#"I see...Is he still there? If so, do hand him the phone."

Xander tosses the phone at Spike with a look of disgust. He thinks the Watcher doesn't care. On the contrary, Giles is just confused.

#"Yeah, Rupes? Whelp said you wanted to talk to me?"

Xander crawls over to the other side of the bed and warily watches the vampire.

#"Am I to understand you licked Xander?"

#"Yep, " Spike answers

#"Why?!"

#"Wanted to see wot he tasted like, " Spike says calmly.

#"Spike, you had better explain before I drive over there and stake you personally, " Giles growls.

#"Kid smells sweet, wanted to see if he tasted good too. Wasn't gonna bite 'im. Think e's sick but he says no, " Spike says with a glare at Xander.

"I'm not sick G-Man!" he shouts to be heard on the phone by the Watcher, " He says I taste good G-Man, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!" Xander grabs his under the bed stake. "Just don't come any closer, pervert."

Spike snorts then tosses the phone back to the teen.

#"Xander? Listen carefully. I shall be right over. Spike still cannot harm you. We shall talk more when I arrive."

#"I know he can't hurt me but he LICKED ME!"

#"Soon Xander, now give Spike the phone."

#"Yeah Rupes?"

#"I need to hear more about Xander's symptoms. I shall be there soon. He seems a bit agitated, try to stay away from him for now, " and the Watcher hangs up.

Spike hangs up the phone then carefully gets off the bed and slowly sits in the chair by the door.

Xander clutches his stake and continues to warily eye the vampire.

(5)

"You-You, just stay over there!"

"Not movin, Whelp."

*****

'Where the bloody Hell is it?' Giles rummages through a very dusty box. He's searching through trunks in the attic carefully. Xander's symptoms have pulled an old memory to the front of his mind.

*-Begin Flashback.

Jenny's face is flushed with happiness. She is dining at the most exclusive restaurant in Sunnydale with the most handsome catch at Sunnydale High School-Rupert Giles. At least on the faculty side.

"How did I get to be so lucky, Jenny?" Rupert asks with a gentle smile.

"I was just asking myself the same question, Rupert, " Jenny says with delight. Then she frowns, keeping this secret is becoming more and more difficult. Surely he can be trusted now?

"Rupert, I have something I need to tell you about Angel..." she begins, feeling the weight of her words. She cuts off at the beep of her wrist watch. "But we'll talk about it after dinner, at your house, " she finishes with a simmering grin.

Giles clears his throat and cleans his glasses. Forget Angel.

"Ah, yes, well, I look forward to it, " Rupert stammers.

Jenny reaches into her handbag and pulls out a small pouch.

The Watcher sees her take a little canister out and open the cap with a 'pop'. She shakes a few small plastic sticks into her hand and chooses one.

"If you will excuse me for just a minute, Rupert, " she comments as she puts the container back and removes what almost looks like a Palm Pilot. The window is quite small for that though. He watches in fascination as she picks up a fat pen and looks into the barrel.

"Used the last one and forgot to refill, " she mutters with a sigh as she shakes out the contents of a small box. In her hand are small, colorful plastic objects, each one only about an inch long with a rounded top.

Although they look like they are one piece, she twists the rounded part and it snaps off to reveal a sharp metal tip. Pushing the plastic end in, she hears a small click.

"I didn't know you were a diabetic, Jenny. I do hope you take good care of yourself, " Giles says with concern.

"Oh, you recognize these things?" she questions, using the lancet device to point out the items on the table.

"I don't know anyone personally with diabetes, but Watchers do know more than just demons, " he chides her with mock-seriousness.

Jenny blushes and goes back to her preparations. Steeling herself, she rests the lancet device above a finger and presses the trigger.

Giles gives a soft hiss at the sharp, 'spang!' and the involuntary flinch of Jenny's body. She drops the blood on the strip, wipes the excess and inserts the test strip in her Glucometer-the device that measures her blood sugar levels. She notes the result, 100, then pulls another pen-like object out of the soft maroon pouch. *-End Flashback.

Under a picture of the Scooby Gang, Giles hand closes on a familiar cloth case. He pulls out a dusty maroon cloth pouch. Opening the zipper with care, he notes the tools within have been protected from contamination. He closes the zipper and directs a glance at the wooden beams of the ceiling or perhaps at something a little further beyond.

'Oh Jenny, if only we'd had that discussion that night... Our minds were occupied with other things, ' he says with a secret smile. He holds the pouch up, 'Thank you. Perhaps you should watch over me and make sure I handle this right, " he says ruefully. Keeping ahold of the case, he carefully descends the ladder. He pushes the trapdoor up and the ladder folds automatically with the closing of the door. Then he takes a moment to brush the attic dust and memories off his clothes. He sees his jacket draped over the banister where he tossed it before his search through the attic.

Grabbing his jacket, he searches for his car keys. He finds them and with a jingle, hurries down the stairs. He opens the garage door, unlocks the Citroen, gets in and starts the engine, then hits the automatic door opener. As the door lumbers open, he leaves the garage, hitting the opener again to close the doors. With a tap of the gas pedal, he's off to Xander's house.

*****

Xander is feeling sleepy again and Spike watches with amusement as the teen's eyes slide slowly shut then abruptly open again, focusing on the vampire. Its too bad he's not trying to terrify the kid because this is fun. The human's eyes drift slowly down again until there is a sudden clatter at the top of the stairs.

*****

"Alexander, your teacher is here! You better not be in trouble or you're grounded!" comes a strident female voice.

"I've told you Mrs. Harris, I simply need to discuss an assignment with him. He's not in trouble," a flustered Giles replies as the basement door slams shut.

"G-Man!" a relieved Xander shouts.

"Yes, yes, Xander, calm down, " the amused Watcher says as he walks carefully down the steep stairs. He raises an eyebrow at Spike's positioning. Nobody would be able to leave without being in grabbing distance of the vampire.

"Didn't want the whelp escapin, " Spike growls. He gets up and stalks over to the bed behind Giles.

"Escaping? Geez, you really have lost it, Blondie, " Xander smirks.

"That's quite enough you two. Spike, sit down in the other chair please, don't crowd Xander, " the Watcher say with irritation as he takes a seat. "Now, tell me more about Xander's symptoms."

"Kid tastes sweet, like a vampire dream come true, " Spike comments.

"Yes, you have mentioned that-several times, " Giles says with a glare.

Spike shrugs.

"Shut up Fangless, I can talk for myself, " Xander scowls. "I woke up this morning a little tired-"

"A little tired?? Whelp was crawlin on the bloody floor!"

"Shut UP, Spike! As I was saying, I was a little tired, " he glares at the sneer from Spike, "And I had a headache. Oh yeah, and I was thirsty, again. I really don't see what the Bleached Wonder here is going on about, " Xander finishes.

Giles hmms, then turns to Spike.

"Okay Spike, now you can tell me what you observed."

"Right, won't lie like the git, " Spike's eyes flash yellow at a snicker from the bed.

"Ignore him William, do go on, " the older man sighs. Its like refereeing two bloody children!

"Git here CRAWLED out of bed. Drank six glasses of water last night, I counted. An he smells funny, " the vampire finishes and fishes his cigarettes and lighter out of his duster.

"No smoking, Spike, " comes at him from two different directions and he replaces both items with a snarl.

"Xander, is that true?"

"Well, okay, yeah, except the smell part. I showered!" the teen says petulantly.

"Smell like a soddin candy store, Pillock. S'not a dirty smell, " Spike growls.

"Shall I put you two in separate corners?" Giles comments dryly.

Xander and Spike stop giving each other the evil eye and look at the Watcher.

"Now then. Xander, taking all your symptoms into account I've a suspicion. May I perform a quick test?" Giles asks as he pulls the pouch out of his jacket.

"What kind of a test, G-Man?" asks Xander suspiciously. "I so don't like needles. No needles, right?"

"Whelp's scared of soddin needles, " Spike snorts.

"Shut up, Spike!" an embarrassed Xander comments.

"There is no needle, " the Watcher assures the youth. He's telling the truth, lancets are more like tiny razor blades than needles. He opens the case and looks at Xander, " Give me your hand please."

A confused Xander complies reluctantly.

"Would wonder why he needs it, Pet, " Spike smirks.

"Shut up, Spike!" the older man hisses. He removes the lancet device, makes sure its loaded, positions it above the teen's finger then presses the trigger before the vampire can alarm Xander further.

"OW! You so lied about the needle thing, " the teen yanks his hand back and starts to stick the punctured finger in his mouth to suck on it.

"Soddin baby, " Spike mutters.

"I'd advise you not suck on your finger yet or I'll have to do this again, " Giles advises.

"Better yet, Ducks, let me suck on it, " Spike says with a growl and a playful flash of fang.

"Eep!" Xander scrambles back into the corner of the bed.

"William!" Giles says with pure menace in his tone.

"Just funnin 'im, " Spike sulks.

"Come back here please, Xander, " the Watcher sighs. He waits until the youth comes close again and takes the finger. One quick squeeze and drop of blood later, the machine is ready.

Now that nobody is poking him, Xander is curious.

"What's that gadget for G-Man?"

"This machine is a Glucometer, Xander. It measures the level of sugar in your blood."

"Kid eats enough Hostess his blood ought to be all sugar, " Spike says under his breath.

Both of the humans in the room ignore the vampire.

"So what does my sugar level have to do with how I have felt lately?"

"High or low levels can be caused by an illness. I got this kit from someone I once knew. That's not my point however, she was diabetic. In the course of our relationship she made me more knowledgeable about what this means to her as well as things to watch for." The meter beeps and he notes the 165 with a sigh.

Xander reads the screen over his shoulder, "165. Huh, so what's that mean G-Man?"

"I really do wish you would stop calling me that ridiculous nickname."

"Sorry Giles, so's what's that mean?"

"The number tells me you should consult your doctor about further testing, Xander. The sooner the better."

"Um, does that mean needles? I really don't like needles."

"Let me bite him, Watcher, can pierce his skin almost painlessly, " Spike smirks.

"Shut up Spike, you and I both know that's a lie, " Giles says with irritation.

"I don't have a doctor. When the gang get hurt you take us to the hospital. Mom and Dad do the same."

"How odd... Nevertheless, I do know someone that you can see. I'll call him when I get home."

"Okay, thanks G-Man. Are you-Well, can you come with me?" Xander says quietly.

"I would assume your parents would wish to know, " Giles says, shocked.

"Its okay if you don't want to..."

"Its not that Xander. I already have plans I'm afraid, " the older man says with real regret.

Xander is upset Giles can't come but he's thrilled he would like to.

"Guess I could go with the silly git, " Spike's comments startles the father/son moment.

"I don't want Spike to go, he might lick me again!"

"Xander, while I do question his motives, he is still chipped. You two argue amongst yourselves, I need to go home." The Watcher lets himself out and he is gone. Once again, Spike and Xander are alone.

Xander eyes the chipped vampire with trepidation then slumps.

"Fine, not facing needles alone even if it means I have to drag along my pet vampire."

"Gonna take me for walkies?" Spike tone screams sarcasm.

"Huh? Oh yeah, the pet thing. Sorry Blondie. Tired now, Xander sleeps, vampire hushes, " the teen yawns.

"Naptime, Ducks?"

"Sleepy Spike, no biting, " he frowns as he curls up on his pillow. The vampire waits until the human is asleep before laying down with him. He is almost asleep himself when an impulse hits and he inches carefully out of the bed. Pouring Xander a quick glass of water and placing it on the table by his head, he resumes his spot on the other pillow.

END PART 5