Title: Sharp Curves and Dangerous Intersections

Author: BuffyAngel68

buffyangel68@yahoo.com

Rating: PG (far as I know. I'll update the rating at the beginning of any chapter that might not be. This first one, for example, has one bad word and a naughty act is referenced, but not performed or described.)

Summary: X-over, but not telling. That would be a spoiler. Sorry! hehe.... Continuation of the adventures in "If That's Destiny on the Phone, I'm Not Home!" Alex and Wesley's lives both take interesting and surprising turns. One gets two distinguished visitors who offer him what he wants most, but only if he proves himself yet again. The other is faced with a desperate need to heal mind and soul, but realizes that healing will be impossible if he stays where he is.

Notes: FEEDBACK, FEEDBACK, FEEDBACK! I've gotten some response to these stories, but the trickle is just a tiny bit discouraging. If you like this, pass the word, wouldja? Thanks!


Sharp Curves and Dangerous Intersections
By BuffyAngel68



PROLOGUE: THREE MONTHS LATER

"Come, now Joseph. Do be reasonable."

"When have you ever known me to be reasonable? I refuse."

"It's not such a large imposition on your time as you're making it out to be...."

"I'm supposed to be retired! Anything you ask me to do is a *huge* imposition! In the first place, I don't work for their side of the Council.... or yours, for that matter! In the second place I have a business to run and in the third place... I don't wanna."

"Joseph. You're acting like a child. You know perfectly well that the other half of the Council is in chaos at the moment. What with the death of the Summers girl this past spring, the rumors that are floating about concerning what bizarre romantic entanglements the girl's former Watcher has gotten himself into.... I'm amazed that any order whatsoever exists over there. Eventually, someone will throw oil on the waters and calm things down, but until then it's up to us to lend assistance where it's needed."

"Up to *you*! Why me? Why drag me back into the center ring?"

"You're close to the event site, you're available and you forgot to change your phone number so we couldn't find you."

"Ha, ha, ha. Funnnny. Fine. When is the old man showin' up?"

"He's catching a flight in from Budapest this morning. He should be there to pick you up by late this afternoon."

"Great. Three hundred and something miles in a car with *him* three weeks before Christmas. If he starts singing Jingle Bells in Norwegian only one of us will see the end of this trip.... I won't guarantee which one, either. And what exactly is my role is this again?"

"What it always was: observe and report. You'll also be part of the evaluation, of course. I'll be most anxious to hear what you have to say about this young man. Watchers on both sides of the Council have been buzzing about him for months."

"It's been tricklin' down to me a little at a time through friends who're still with the Council. If what I've been hearin' is accurate... this is gonna knock the Watcher's old boy network on its ass and give 'The Book is God' Travers a fatal stroke."

"Now, now, Joseph. Respect."

"From me? Never. And after this, I am changing my number. Bye, Pooh Bear."

"How many times must I tell you, my name is not Winnie, it's Winston...."



Chapter 1
FRIDAY AFTERNOON

"Michael, c'mon man. No, I'm sure it'll be okay, but you should talk to him. I understand how hard it is to... No, the new house is plenty big enough.... That won't be a problem. You're already part of the family. So? So the thing is you're putting me in kind of a... difficult place. Yeah. You've got my consent.... Will won't mind, either. I'm saying two out of three isn't enough. It wouldn't be fair to just.... Alright, alright. I'll ask him for you. Yeah. Okay. Bye, Michael."

Will, who had been standing at a discreet distance so as not to appear to be listening, now strolled to Alex's side, dropped an arm over the younger man's shoulders and questioned him.

"I wouldn't mind what?"

"Michael's having a really hard time down in L.A. Something about Angel and the portals.... He wants to come stay with us for a while, but he's afraid to ask Rupert directly. I... kinda said I'd do it for him."

"That all? Rupe'll say yes without a second thought. You know that. We got Mikey's problem solved. Now.... how's about you give with what's had you draggin' arse around here for the past week an' walkin' out the room when I walk in."

"I told you nothing's wrong, Will. Why won't you just believe me?"

"Gimme a break, Alex. I can do a lotta things, yeah, but mind readin' ain't one of `em. I ain't Dru, for Lord's sake. If ya want an answer, ask the question."

"I'm trying. I've been trying, but I can't make the words come out the way I want them to... Okay. That night after the three of us got back from the Bronze... I would have... but you didn't... Since then, I get kisses on the cheek and hi and goodbye hugs, but nothing anywhere near an.... invitation. Why? It makes me wonder how stupid I must have looked in your eyes that first night, how much I did wrong..."

"Hey! Any more a'that an' I'll bust your tight little ass for ya!" Will exclaimed, shoving Alex lightly in the side of the head as he released him. "You did nothin' wrong that evenin' an' you looked anythin' but stupid. Young an' inexperienced is all ya were.... dealin' with a private nightmare to boot! Ya did fine, considerin'. Don't ever let me hear you talkin' yourself down that way again. Got it?"

"The question has yet to be answered. Why?"

"Don't look at me or Rupe to solve this one for ya, sticky-buns. Personally, I've been dyin' to see what you're made of, but.... I mean, that night had a bigger purpose for you than a roll in the hay an' a kiss good night. You shifted your whole life around after that. You got into the trainin', that quest thingie tossed you an' Mikey and Rupe around like a damn Caesar salad.... didn't wanna put more on your plate than was already there. Just hasn't been a really opportune moment to whisper `Shag me, stud-muffin' in your ear an' drag ya upstairs."

"Nice excuses, but they don't wash. It's just like I thought. Neither of you want me busting into the middle of your relationship. I understand...."

"No, ya don't, an' I said quit with the negative stuff! There ain't a person in the world with eyes that wouldn't want you! Criminy, ya practically had the body of a god *before* ya started workin out regular. Now that the trainin' has leaned you out some.... you are perfection itself, Alex, an' don't ever let anybody say different, `specially you."

"How do you know what I looked like... You didn't! Tell me you didn't..."

"Spy? Damn right. Not on you an' little miss egocentric, but at the construction site.... yeah I did sneak a peek once or twice. Buffy may've had a strangle hold on my heart an' soul, but you.... you made my body cry uncle, man. Ya know, Red told me a long time ago about when you went undercover on the swimmin' team in high school. She was laughin' fit to choke, without the slightest idea what she was doin' to me. I took every word she said about you in that skimpy Speedo back to my crypt an' got nearly six weeks of lovely, satisfyin' self-gratification out of it."

"Will.... look, I'm...."

"Okay, so now you know. Don't ever think I don't want you, Alex. Don't ever even say the words in my presence again. I thought I was doin' the right thing, ya know? I was bein' patient, waitin' on you to push through all the mental crud an figure out who Alex is... an' whether *he* wanted *me*."

"William. Please... I do want.... It's just so frustrating. Alex... he's like a baby. He's still growing, developing. I'm trying to be true to him, to what he could be...."

"An' he's comin' along just fine. Don't you think Rupe and I can see that? I keep hopin' you'll elevate the poor thing, though."

"Elevate him? I don't understand."

"Outta third person status is what I mean. You already respond when we call ya Alex. Now we just gotta get you believin' that Alex is you an' that everythin' you've been wishin' for him to be.... you already are. Take all the negative shit from the past, throw it in a duffel an' toss it off a bridge for God's sake. It's about time, don'tcha think?"

"Yeah. Maybe. It's still so hard. I've been messed up ten ways from Sunday for so many years. I don't know..."

"I do, sweetcakes. You're so strong, boy. Ya always were strong, but with so many people sittin' on your back, whisperin' in your ear how useless ya were, anybody'd be scared to try their wings, yeah? Now ya got space to fly, baby. Take the chance. Rupert an' I are right here underneath in the extremely unlikely event you should fall... an' we always will be."

Out of the blue, Alex chuckled softly. "What? Wasn't tryin' ta be funny."

"I know. I was just wondering if you're hungry. You've called me sticky-buns, stud-muffin, and now sweetcakes. Did you skip breakfast this morning or something?"

"Now that I think on it, yeah I did. Soulmate was demandin' attention first thing we woke up an' I never got around to it. Think I'll go hunt up some leftovers in the fridge. Join me?"

"Nah. I ate." Alex replied, turning away then looking back over his shoulder. "Hey, Will. Thanks. I know my insecurities drive you up a wall, but to hear you say those things.... it meant a lot to me."

"They don't. Glad to help. Ain't you got trainin' this weekend with Peaches?"

"Oh yeah. My favorite two days out of the whole month. I'm so psyched."

"Yeah, well it's gettin' on two o'clock already. Best get movin'. Long drive to L.A."

"Right. Thanks again. Maybe when I get home Sunday night I'll be ready to talk about this bathing suit fantasy of yours."

"T'would be nice, pet. Go on, now. Get your stuff packed."

William returned Alex's grin, then watched him jog upstairs.

{We're definitely doin' some evenin' swims at the beach this summer. Most definitely.}



FRIDAY NIGHT

"Slow it down, Alex. Better. Much better. You're thinking again, though. Stop it."

"How do you always know?" Alex asked Angel as he moved into the next movement of the Tai-Chi form that his instructor was teaching him.

"Your forehead wrinkles up and any flow you'd achieved goes out the window. We might as well stop for tonight. Your mind's about a million miles away."

Straightening out of a crouching posture, Alex grabbed a towel to wipe his face and tossed Angel a chagrinned smile.

"I'm really sorry. Guess I am a little distracted."

"That's okay. You're doing well in spite of the mental vacation. Anything you want to talk about?"

"Nah. I'll work it out. It's nothing major. Hey, is Mich.... I mean Wes still around or has he gone home already?"

"He was still in the office reading as of an hour ago. He answers to either one these days, by the way. I called him Stephan the other day, just to see what he'd do? He threw me this look of complete terror and took off as if Angelus were after him."

This comment inspired a question in Alex's mind, but he gave it a tour of his head and a bit of serious consideration before he voiced it.

"You talk like Angelus is a separate person.... someone who has nothing to do with you. But.... he does. How do you deal with the duality? Do you have to incorporate this... other part into the new person.... when there's almost nothing from the other part you want to keep? I mean... Will says I don't really believe Alex is who I am yet. Maybe I don't. You both make it seem so easy, though.... Was Spike, now Will. Was Angelus, now Angel."

"You really think it was simple for either of us?"

"I didn't say that. I said you make it *look* that way." Alex chuckled.

"I don't think of it in those terms, Alex. I was this, now I'm this.... You'll drive yourself crazy trying to sort it out. I can only deal with who and what I am in this moment. There's too much pain in the past. You'll never get anywhere living in your pain. The future is always shifting. You'll never pin it down. You have to live in the present. Focus on what you can do today, right now. It's not easy.... but it's all any of us can do."

"You make a lot of sense, master. Thanks for answering honestly. I'm gonna go find Michael.... see if he's up for goin' out to eat... maybe a beer."

"Shower first or only the dives will let you get anywhere close to the front door."

"Oh. Right. See you in the morning for edged weapons training?"

"Eight a.m. sharp."

"Sharp. Cute pun, there, teach. Broody boy made a funny. Will wonders never cease?" Alex teased as he backed out of the room, ducking to avoid the towel that Angel launched at his head.



SATURDAY MORNING

"I know I should have said something before I left, sen-sei and I'm sorry, but I was rushed. I had to pack for L.A. and everything... Don't be mad."

"I'm not angry, Alex. I'm confused, that's all. I wish I knew what's behind Michael asking this of you... of us, I should say."

"All he'd say is that he's having a really difficult time getting over something that happened while the PTB's had him by the short hairs, something to do with Angel. He says he just needs to get away from the city for a while. If you give the all clear, he wants to follow me back when I head home. We've got more than enough room now...." Alex reminded Giles as he cradled the phone between his ear and his shoulder in order to free both hands for sliding his omelet out of the frying pan and shutting off the heat

"Whether there's room isn't my biggest concern, Alex. It sounds like Michael is running away from something he should be facing up to. I'm not sure giving him an easy out and a place to run *to* is such a wonderful idea."

"He's going to leave L.A. regardless of what your decision is, Rupert. As his friend, wouldn't you rather know where he is.... and that he's okay? When he's ready to talk about whatever's messing up his head, he should be around people he trusts...."

"Alright. I surrender. Michael is welcome to come and stay as long as he needs to. On one condition." Giles told him, stating what the condition would be.

"I don't know, sen-sei. He won't like it...."

"He doesn't have to. If he wants a place with us, he'll accept it. Agreed?"

"I'll let him know. I just hope your little "condition" doesn't make Michael think sleeping on the street in a refrigerator box is a better option than our place."

"Yes, well.... You will be home at the same time Sunday evening?"

"Should. Michael will have all today and tomorrow to pack so I have no reason to think we won't get off on time."

"Good. I'll have a meal ready for both of you. Goodbye, Alex."

"Sounds great. See you then, sen-sei." Alex told him fondly, hanging up the phone just as Angel strolled into the kitchen behind him. "Morning, master. Sleep well?"

"As well as I ever do."

"Can I make you an omelet or some toast or something?"

"No. I ate." Angel responded, joining Alex at the table. "Listen. Cordy's going to be going out of town for a couple days starting tonight, so I offered to let her share your weapons practice this morning instead of missing out completely this week."

"Fine with me. That mean we'll be sparring against each other?"

"Absolutely. It'll be a good chance to see how much you've both learned."

"One question. How much longer have you been working with her?"

"She started six months ago."

"Great. I'm only here one weekend a month. She's gonna make me look like a complete idiot."

"No. I don't think so." Angel commented dryly, standing again. "Just a rank amateur.... which you are."

"Thanks for the big vote of confidence, master." Alex laughed.

"You don't need me to boost your self-esteem anymore, Alex. Maybe once, but not now. I'll praise you when you earn it. We'll see how you do against Cordy today. If you hold your own like I think you will.... then you'll get an atta-boy and not before."

"Oh, I'll get it. I'll shock Cordy out of her sneakers."

"I hope so." Angel replied as he left the kitchen. "One hour, downstairs."

"One hour. Got it."



THREE HOURS LATER

"Good work, both of you. Your arm strength is really getting better, Cordy. You've been working on your footwork too. It shows. Alex."

"Yeah?"

"Atta-boy."

Alex grinned, pumped his fist slightly and silently rejoiced. "Go hit the showers, guys. Feel like joining me for some meditation tonight, Alex?"

"Really? Sure. That'd be fantastic. When?"

"About nine in the ballroom."

"Okay. Sounds good." Alex said, grabbing a clean towel from the pile that sat against a wall and following Angel out of the room. Breathing deeply, Cordy dropped to the floor and buried her face in the towel she'd been using through the whole session. Alex had given her much more of a challenge than she had believed he was capable of and she needed a moment to recover before she headed off for her own shower and out to a late lunch.

"You can come in now, Doyle." she mumbled through the terry cloth, responding to the presence she had sensed lurking close by for the last two hours.

"Ah'm sorry, princess. I was tryin' not to disturb ya."

"It's okay." Cordy told him, gesturing to the spot on the floor beside her. "Come and sit down. I have a favor to ask you."

As Doyle settled in, she turned a little and grabbed his hands. "You won't like this. I know you won't understand why I'm asking, but.... please stop calling me that."

"What? Princess?"

"Exactly. Since you've been gone.... a lot has happened. I'm not who I was when you knew me, Doyle. We've all been through so many changes.... the nickname doesn't fit me anymore. It didn't even fit me then."

"It... I only... ya are my princess. Ya always will be. Beautiful an' sweet.... The name is just my way of... honorin' ya. I never intended to hurt ya...."

"I know. You never did, not really.... I know you cared about me, Doyle. I know you still do, but you've put me up on a pedestal so high, all you see is what you want to see. You can't see *me*. There's no room for mistakes or wrong choices up there. I'm human, Doyle. I'm gonna do something, someday, that doesn't fit the image of your "princess" that you hold to so tight.... and that'll bring me and the pedestal crashing down. A fall from that high wouldn't just hurt.... it would leave scars. I don't need anymore scars."

Though she hadn't meant to remind her friend about the visions, her words brought all Doyle's deeply felt guilt and remorse bubbling to the surface and tears to his eyes. He stretched out one shaky hand and cupped Cordelia's face.

"Ah God, pr... Cordy. I'm so sorry. I didn't know what happened. Ya have to believe me.... the Powers didn't tell me what they'd done 'till after we kissed an' I'd given up everythin'.... When I found out, I was so mad.... I tried to get 'em to take it back.... give it to anyone else.... but you know how they are, clueless about human sufferin'. If it suits their purpose, they don't give a damn who gets hurt... mindless, heartless creatures, that's all they are...."

"Doyle, stop... please. Angel still had a mission.... the PTB's couldn't just let that mission stop, could they? People in this city needed a hero, he needed someone to carry the visions for him. I handled it and I'm alright now. They're not so heartless. They took the pain away, remember?" she reminded him, enfolding him in her arms.

"Only 'cause you passed their stupid test...."

"That wasn't so bad either. Not compared to what Giles and Wesley went through. Those two? They have a right to file a protest if anyone does. It's over, Doyle. You have to let it go. It's over, we're home and everything's gonna be fine. Just.... let it go, okay?"

"I'll try, luv. I'll try... uh, Cordy? You were workin' out pretty hard...."

"Is that supposed to be a subtle hint that I need a shower?"

" 'Twas meant to be subtle, yeh, but I've never been real good at that..."



SATURDAY NIGHT

"Relax. Drop everything.... all stray thoughts, all your fears and concerns. The body goes still... and the mind follows...."

As Alex listened and tried to follow Angel's instruction, the vampire's voice began to fade into the background. Slowly, he felt all the tension draining out of his limbs and his mind drifted into a null zone where none of his everyday worries could intrude. When he reached his point of deepest meditation, however, something else did.

Just as softly as they had while he had been trapped inside their world, forced to walk through their trials, the Powers That Be spoke to Alex again and gave him what they considered to be a reward. His opinion of their present was expressed with anything but the graciousness and appreciation they might have been expecting.

///.... receive our gift, young warrior. we honor your courage...\\\

With shocking suddenness, Alex was shoved out of his calm, gray, carefree state and into a repeat of the memory Giles had helped him recover that long ago summer night. No longer were the images mere still pictures. Now they flowed like film through a projector, all the breaks and gaps filled in with appalling clarity. Where he'd once only been aware that someone had been holding his tiny hand, guiding him away from the playground, away from safety, he had never known, or desired to know, who the stranger was. The stranger was now revealed not as an unknown, but as someone he once trusted. Alex suddenly found himself scrambling to find a corner to hide in but Angel caught him before he could get too far away and held him securely even as the young man fought to escape.

"Alex? Alex, what is it? Talk to me.... damn it, what happened? C'mon, Alex...."

"No.... God no.... why? Why would you show me... I didn't want that... I didn't wanna know! Damn you.... I didn't wanna know.... I can't.... No.... God make it go away...."Alex pleaded, his breathing growing harsher as he tried to force the knowledge from his mind. Angel knew Alex wasn't talking to him, so he continued his attempts to reach his friend.

"Alex, what happened to you? Look at me, Alex." Angel said, gently turning the other's face so that they were eye to eye. After a long moment of concern on Angel's part, his student finally recognized his master's presence.

"Angel.... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for freaking out like that.... Damn, stupid PTB's.... don't they understand anything...."

"Tell me what happened?"

"I...I can't. You can let me go, now. I'm better. I'm back in control."

"What did the Powers do, Alex? Just tell me...."

"I said I can't. Please... just let me go."

Though he was intensely worried for the younger man, Angel released Alex. "Thanks."

Standing, Alex walked back to the mats on which they'd both been sitting and dropped easily back into lotus position.

"That's not such a good idea...."

"I have to. This... thing I can't talk about? I have to get it out of my mind or I'll never sleep. Help me?"

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure. Please show me again how to do it."

Frowning, Angel conceded and sat back down beside his student to begin the process all over again.



SUNDAY AFTERNOON

"You're sure, Mikey? I mean.... big step is an understatement. You might want to take a little more time to think this through...."

"I've thought about it enough, Alex. This is what I need at the moment. As long as the offer hasn't been rescinded?"

"No. No way. Rupert says you're welcome as long as you want to stay. The condition...."

"I already said I accept it. Go on, then. I'll meet you out at the car once I've talked to Angel."

"He won't understand. He'll fight you fang and nail, man..."

"Perhaps at first. It isn't as if... He knows I'll be back. He'll simply have to accept my decision. Go ahead. I'd rather do this privately."

"I understand."

Though his expression showed his clear concern for his friend, Alex acceded to Michael's request.

"Wes. Cordy said you wanted to... see me. What's with the suitcases?"

"I.... I'm going away for a while. I'll be staying in Sunnydale with Rupert, William and Alex."

"What? I don't understand. Have I done something? Did I hurt you again? If I did..."

"No, it isn't you at all. Please believe that, Angel. It isn't you. It's me."

"You... does this have something to do with that idiotic stuff the PTB's put you through?"

"Yes, actually. Look, this isn't easy for me to do, Angel. I'm very happy here, now. You've been immeasurably kind to me and I'll never be able to fully repay you for all you done. This is something.... I must do. What the Powers forced me to confront was so devastating.... it's going to take a long while and be terribly difficult for me to process. It may take months, even.... I feel very strongly that being with Rupert and Alex will help us all to heal. I don't *want* to leave my home... to leave all of you. I would never walk away from what's become a safe haven for me if I felt I had any choice."

"And you can't work through any of your feelings here."

"No."

"You will be coming back?"

"Angel, I'm not trekking to the bloody North Pole, for heaven's sake! I'll just be down in Sunnydale. You can phone, e-mail, even come to visit.... just not right away. Give me about a week to decompress and settle in...."

"You didn't answer the question."

"Of course I'm coming back! You and the others mean the world to me. Right now.... I just need to be with people who have been.... people who understand what I'm struggling with."

"Which is what exactly? You haven't said two syllables about what the Powers did to you... Last night, Alex had a.... vision, something and started cursing the PTB's..."

"Yes, I know. He came to my room last night after the... event. We spent most of the night talking."

"But neither one of you can talk to me?"

"No. This.... I'm not saying this to hurt you, Angel.... You've had a great deal of experience at being the betrayer, the one who inflicts the pain, but not enough at being the betrayed. You don't have a right to our secrets just yet. Please.... let this go. Let *me* go. You can't help this time and, champion though you may be, you can't save me. I'm not even sure I can save myself. I only know I have to try.... and that I must go away to do that. I'm sorry if this pains you, but at this moment my focus has to be my needs."

"I can accept that.... I guess I'll have to."

"That's right. I've made sure Gunn has my files and is up to date on all the cases I was working on, so... I suppose this is farewell."

"Cordy..."

"We've said our goodbyes and shed our tears."

"You'll be taking the bike."

"Yes. What wouldn't go in the saddle bags, Alex has agreed to take in his car. I'm not taking all that much right now. Some things I'm having shipped... most I left here. You see? I have to come back to visit my collection of dusty Egyptian artifacts and my collection of worn out unwashed socks one could easily mistake for dusty Egyptian artifacts."

"Wes.... Michael...."

"Please.... I swear this isn't forever. I need time away... that's all. Best you go find some small task to do; help avoid any of those unnecessary displays of emotion you hate so."

"Yeah. Guess I should. Hey... you take care of yourself, Michael and don't even think about breaking your promise."

"I will.... and I won't. Goodbye, my friend."

"Journey safely."

Fighting against the anguish that was resounding in his heart, Michael turned away, lifted his suitcases and strode out of the lobby. As he placed his bags in Alex's trunk, tears flowed unchecked down his cheeks. Three attempts to start his motorcycle failed and eventually he was forced forward over his handlebars, forced to allow his sadness to run its course while Alex's comforting hand ran up and down over his neck and back and forth across his shoulders.

Eventually, he found enough focus to start the bike properly. Alex gave him a questioning look and Michael nodded. A few minutes later, the car pulled away from the curb and the bike followed, riding off, strangely enough, directly into the fading light of a typical, fantastic, California sunset.



EARLY MONDAY MORNING

Alex awoke on the couch to the sound of the alarm clock he'd transported down to the living room the night before. Slightly stiff and sore, but knowing his rapid healing would put any pain to rout fairly soon, he rose slowly and moved down a short flight of stairs into the kitchen to get the tea on. Since he was almost always the first one up and around, providing his housemates with vital caffeine had become his permanent job, but it wasn't something he objected to, despite the necessity of fixing a separate pot of coffee for Will. The extra half hour or forty-five minutes of peace and solitude in the morning did wonders for his emotional endurance and mental performance on the job.

By the time Rupert and Will were beginning to stir he usually had just enough time to kiss them both goodbye and hustle out the door to whatever job site he and his crew were working that day. The lack of time together he minded a great deal, but he knew there was nothing to be done. Rupert's retirement checks and whatever Will managed to bring in would not keep the house running. He had to work.

Just as Alex was pouring himself a cup of his usual ginseng tea, he was surprised by light footsteps on the stairs behind him and turned to find Rupert padding down to greet him in bare feet. Setting his tea on the counter, the young man moved to embrace his mentor.

"Hey. What are you doing up this early?"

"What were you doing sleeping on the couch last night instead of in your room?"

Alex pulled away, touched Rupert's face and walked back to retrieve his tea.

"Come sit down. I'll make you some breakfast."

"Alex."

"I.... I wasn't doing much sleeping. Something happened.... at Angel's."

"You weren't hurt?" Rupert questioned, moving forward to comfort an obviously shaken Alex, who stepped away, maintaining the distance between them.

"You want just toast? I could do more if you're really hungry...."

"I thought we got past this issue of running from a discussion long ago."

"I'm not. I'm just asking what you want for breakfast."

Sensing something horrendous was weighing on Alex's heart, Rupert quickly moved in front of his student, forcing the other to face him. He realized then that Alex was still a master at hiding his distress from the world. The younger man had been weeping since he'd turned away, but had shown no sign in his body language, allowed no trace to distort his voice.

"My God, Alex. What is it, love? What's happened?" he pleaded, drawing Alex into his arms and leading him to the table. The young man dropped bonelessly into a chair and Rupert pulled another one close to him.

"The damn PTB's.... they won't leave me alone..... After all the crap with the portals, I thought.... it's over, for a while at least.... a while isn't near as long as I wanted it to be...."

"What have they done, Alex? I'm here. You're safe.... just say it...."

"I was... doing some meditation with Angel. It was fine. I know I was doing really well..... until they interfered. That memory, the one you helped me recover that first night? I... I never did see who was holding my hand.... who took me off the playground. I didn't wanna know that. Every time I even thought about it.... wondered who would've done that, it felt like all the muscles in my body just... knotted up..... I got sick to my stomach..... couldn't breathe right. I shoved it to the back of my mind..... tried not to let it bug me."

"Oh... oh, Alex.... they didn't. They wouldn't...."

"A gift they said.... they actually called it an honor...." Alex spat, his bitterness and anger now on full display. "That's a hell of an honor alright.... finally knowing that my father... my own father took money from some pervert.... so the guy could...."

Head bent and pressed into his chest as far as his neck would allow, hands gripping the edges of the chair so hard his knuckles were stained blue-white, Alex abandoned speech and simply began to rock back and forth. Moments later, William, who had been listening from the doorway, rushed into the room and fell to his knees by Alex. Close to tears himself, he gently released first the fingers of Alex's left hand then his right from the wooden seat. Cradling his housemate's fingers, he began to massage feeling back into them, talking softly.

"Will..."

"I know, luv. I heard most a'that. Heard enough anyway.... it's gonna be alright, boy. You'll see. Rupe, you go call work for him, yeh? Tell 'em.... tell 'em he got real bad news about somebody in his family."

"Excellent idea." Giles agreed, rising to make the call. Halfway there, Michael stopped him.

"You go stay with him. I'll call. The number is by the phone is it?"

"Yes. There's a... a list. Alex's employer is second from the top. What got you up?"

"Not certain. The sense that everyone was somewhere else, I suppose. I felt a bit too... alone. Sleep just went away."

"You know about..."

Michael nodded.

"We talked about it at length Saturday night. Tears were shed, bloody wounds unbandaged....."

"Yours as well?"

"Not as such, no."

"There will be time for that. Thank you for making the call. Tragedy in the immediate family... you know how it goes."

"Yes, of course."

Just as Micheal reached for the phone, it rang, startling him slightly. After a brief glance at Rupert for permission, Michael lifted the receiver.

"Hello? Angel. I asked you not to.... Alex is upset, but Rupert and William are here with him. He'll be fine, now, please do as I asked and maintain distance for a week or two? I must rest and think and I.... No. I know you're having trouble understanding what I've done, but I don't have the energy to devote to you and your issues right now. I need all the strength I have just to keep myself moving forward.... Say? I want you to say that you will respect me and our friendship and give me the space I need. Thank you. Yes. Good-bye, Angel."

Pressing down the cut-off switch for a moment, Michael found the correct number on the list and made the call for Alex. "It's done." he announced softly, returning to where Alex's housemates sat comforting him. Giles rose and drew Michael further into the kitchen, pouring tea and coffee as they talked.

"What did Tom say?" Rupert asked.

"That three days off was standard in these cases and if it were up to him he'd see that Alex had a week, but it just isn't possible. I believe the word indispensable was used. He also expressed his condolences."

"Tom Brighton is a good man. Alex adores working for him."

"He sounded quite enamored of Alex as well. The carpenter formerly known as Xander has finally found his place in the world it seems."

"In more ways than one. Instead of every night, we only do group patrols once or twice a week now."

"Has the demon activity dropped that much?"

"Not at all. Alex simply doesn't need us. When we do go out together, he routinely leads and the others accept it as if it's always been. On Friday and Saturday nights, he spends two, sometimes three hours on nothing but research. Anyone who knew him before Buffy's death..... would never believe it was the same young man."

"Yes.... Watching him train with Angel this past month or two has been quite an eye-opener. The transformation.... it's quite remarkable."

"I can't stand to see him in pain like this. He'd managed to put all the unpleasantness with the portals behind him.... why couldn't the thrice damned Powers leave him alone?" Giles said angrily.

"He has become the de facto Slayer, Rupert."

"And? What of it?"

"Especially when it comes to Slayers, the Powers are notorious for messing in where they're not wanted. Evidence Buffy.... many times over, if I recall correctly."

"Unfortunately, you do. What am I to do, Michael? I don't have any better way of helping him survive their intrusions than I did of helping her. This time.... it's much more urgent. I can't.... I *won't* let them destroy him. Even if it means my life, I won't."

"It isn't in your hands, my friend. He chose to do this.... to become the protector that Sunnydale needs. He'll have to take the bad with the good, just as Buffy did."

"I didn't love her the way I love him. She was my daughter. Alex....."

"I know and he's lucky to have both of you. You make each other stronger than any of you would be alone. He'll be alright, Rupert. As long as you and William continue to love him, he *will* be alright."

"Yes. Even if I don't have the words, perhaps.... well, we better get these cups to the table. If William doesn't have his morning jolt, he can get quite cranky and that you don't want to see."

"Speaking of the Slayer, have you been contacted by the Council yet?"

This thought seemed to shock Giles. His face went white as chalk and he nearly dropped the cup of tea he was carrying.

"The Council? No.... not in months. Why?"

"I still have one or two contacts who keep my stash of gossip and scandal up to date. Apparently, our side is mired in a fairly deep layer of pandemonium at the moment. The Immortal's half of the Council has stepped in to help."

"That's.... unprecedented. They've always kept themselves scrupulously separate...."

"Until now. That's how much of a tizzy our people are in. The most recent rumor is that they've recruited a pair of legends from the other side, one not so gently coaxed out of retirement.... and sent them here."

"Here? Why?"

"Titillating rumors about you and Will have been drifting around from member to member for weeks. Good things are being tossed about concerning Alex. It all finally reached the inner sanctum, but between the whispers and the misheard repeats of whispers the Council might as well be playing blind man's bluff. All they have now is stories and half-truths. They want to know what's really going on. Can't really blame them...."

"Yes, I bloody well can! They have no right to.... and this is absolutely the worst time! You said legends. Any clue as to who's going to be showing up on my doorstep?"

"More than a clue."

"Well?"

"As agitated as you are? Not in a million years. Take Alex his tea. I'll warm up the coffee and bring it along in a bit."

"Michael...."

"Go. Alex needs you. We'll talk later."

"Yes we will."




LATER THAT MORNING:

"Dear Lord, Michael... you can't be serious. Tell me this is just supposition on your part."

"Of course it is, but it's backed up by reliable sources. Why else would one have been coaxed out of a comfortable life in Budapest and the other dragged kicking and screaming out of retirement?"

"I wouldn't call most of the tongue-waggers on the Council reliable. Heaven knows what I'd call them if I weren't a gentleman...."

Michael smirked briefly, hiding it in his coffee mug.

"You're not, not all the time anyway, and Winston Kelleher is not like the rest of them. You know that as well as I do."

"Winston.... oh damn."

"Yes, to say the least."

"If it comes from him... you did get this from him directly?"

"As good as. From his youngest, Bradley. We talk regularly."

"Good head on his shoulders that boy. Following in his father's footsteps. He'll be a fine Watcher soon."

"He knows what's what on the Council as well. If anyone could be considered a reliable source..."

".... he's it." Giles finished. "God... how am I supposed to prepare Alex? He.... they all know what I did to Buffy..."

Michael reached out and touched Rupert's arm gently.

"You know damn well she forgave you that lapse in judgment. You were still under Travers' thrall and the thumb of the bloody Council then..."

"Yes, that's a marvelous excuse isn't it? The Council made me do it.... might as well blame it on junk food as on them. They're both equally legitimate as a defense for my idiocy."

"Can't hold junk-food responsible either. You've used that up already." Michael chuckled, rising to his feet and giving his friend a quick hug.

"What?"

"Alex told me about the chocolate bar incident and the Slayer's mother. I'm really sorry I missed that transformation. The way Alex tells it.... Ripper is quite something to see."

Rupert blushed to the roots of his hair and hid his face in his coffee.

"Really?"

"Oh, yes. To paraphrase, 'I'd never choose him over the real Giles, but Ripper is dead sexy and a great deal of fun on the rare occasions when I can get Rupert to let him out of his cage.' "

Startled, Giles looked up and froze Michael in the kitchen doorway with a piercing look.

"Dead.... he did not say that."

"I did say it was a paraphrase. Close enough, though." Michael replied lightly, pausing with one foot on the bottom stair when Giles spoke again.

"Michael. Just for the sake of... setting the record straight, I'm not sure she ever did... forgive me, I mean. She got past it.... moved forward.... but it wasn't her way to just... forgive. If I had ever again shown the slightest sign of betraying her..."

"You didn't and, hopefully, Buffy's Cruciamentum taught you a valuable lesson."

"Burned it into my soul. If it even begins to look as if Alex will be in any danger whatsoever from this so-called evaluation.... I will toss both of those Council bastards into the ocean personally."

"Don't judge these two so quickly, Rupert. Everything I've heard about them has been positive. They aren't like the idiots on our side or on theirs. Get to know them a little before you automatically assume they deserve a saltwater constitutional."

"Yes... perhaps."

"One other bit of advice if I might? Alex deserves a reasonable chance to stand up for himself before you leap in front of him and become his protector again. He's come quite a long way in a very short time. He knows how much you trust him. Prove it."

"You're right of course. I'm sorry. Some mistakes we make seem to stay with us eternally."

"Only if we refuse to let them go. I was thinking about taking a ride on the bike. Come along?"

"No. Alex may need me... I should be here in case..."

"Alex is in the best of care right now. William won't leave his side for anything. Come with me, Rupert, please. You need some air and a change of scenery before the stress of this evaluation lands solidly on your neck. We can pick up some beer and food.... find a quiet place to relax and talk."

"Breaker's woods is beautiful at this time of year...." Giles murmured absently, his expression lightening just the tiniest bit.

"There you are then. We absolutely need to go. Say yes."

Giles debated silently for several minutes before he finally surrendered.

"Alright. You've convinced me. Let me collect a few things and we'll leave." He said, standing and moving to the sink to dump his coffee.

"All you'll need is your wallet and a heavy jacket. I'll take care of the rest. Oh, and you'll need to borrow jeans from William or Alex."

"I do own a pair or two myself, you know. I did grow up in the twentieth century." Giles countered, bristling slightly.

"Rupert. I'm truly sorry. I know you aren't in the least fogeyish and I never meant to imply anything of the sort." Michael chuckled, moving swiftly to his friend's side and throwing an arm around his shoulders. "I keep discovering new sides to you. Forgive me if I've neglected to update my mental image. I promise to do so immediately." he concluded, dropping a quick kiss on Giles' cheek. The recipient smiled thinly and produced a low laugh.

"No... no, it's alright. I haven't been hip or-or current since somewhere around 1973. I accepted my un-cool status long ago."

"I wouldn't espouse that particular theory around Will or Alex." Michael warned, breathing damply into Rupert's ear. "They'd likely slap you silly then drag you to bed just to show you how cool you really are. Or should that be how hot..."

"Michael, that tickles! Stop this instant!" Giles ordered, firmly pushing his friend away, even while his muffled laughter utterly belied his attempt to be intimidating.

"Spoilsport. I'll go get the bike ready, then shall I?"

"Yes. Do that. I'll change, grab my coat and let Alex and Will know we're leaving."

"Make it your leather jacket."

"How did you...."

"Alex, of course. Again I paraphrase, 'He has this leather jacket that makes him look like a cross between James Dean and Johnny Rotten. Good thing he doesn't wear it too often because my self-control takes a permanent vacation in the presence of that jacket.' "

"You're making that up."

"Oh? A fibber am I? We'll see. Meet me outside in twenty minutes and have a sincere apology ready."

"I won't need one. The Alex I know would never tell tales out of school that way."

"Let's make a bet out of it, hmm? Loser buys the beer." Michael offered.

"You're on."

"Good. You watch him carefully when you walk through the living room with the jacket on. We'll see who's telling tales. And don't forget your wallet. Thanks to Angel, I've developed expensive taste in beer."

Michael jogged up the short flight of stairs laughing to himself. Giles set his mouth in a tight line and headed for the back steps that led directly from the kitchen into the master bedroom.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

In the living room, Will and Alex sat on the couch together, tightly entwined, creating an exquisite tableau of comfort and encouragement. Until a few minutes before, the younger man had been sleeping in relative peace, but a sudden nightmare had shaken him to his core, jolting him awake. Will now rocked him slowly back and forth, murmuring softly.

"Alex..... it's okay now. Just go back to sleep, luv. Nobody's gonna get to ya here. I'd tear apart any wanker who tried, ya know that. Settle down, alright?"

"I'm sorry.... I can't. I don't dare...." Alex responded, burrowing deeper into Will's arms.

"Was it the same thing, hmm? Was it the playground scene again?"

Alex could only nod and breathe deeply, trying to hold off another round of tears. "Tell ya what. You close your eyes, pet. I'm gonna show you somethin' I ain't never shown to nobody... Not even Drusilla knew I could do this."

"What?"

"Shhh. Close your eyes, I said. You relax an' let your mind drift.... breathe slow an' easy.... that's right. Good. I'm right here. Safe as houses you are. Here we go, pet. Lemme in.... show me the dream, baby.... show me. Take me in with ya...."

Alex allowed his eyes to slip closed again and, gradually, Will followed suit.

#### Large hands tug insistently on a smaller hand. Greater strength unrelentingly overcomes lesser. Small sneakers reluctantly make long, broken, irregular trails in the dirt instead of evenly spaced, willing footprints. Uncertain, almost frightened words plead for a return to familiar territory and perceived safety.

'daddy? where we goin' daddy? i wanna play some more.'

'just over here, kiddo. daddy's got a new game to play. you'll like it, i promise...'

Small body leans backward, pulling with all its strength, barely beginning to fear.

'no, daddy... san'box.... i wan' go san'box... truck in the san'box daddy...'

'i said you can go back after. now, c'mon. I don't have a whole lotta time...'

Bright spirit suddenly darkens with a flash of childish anger, knowing that daddy's game could not possibly compare with the joy of a few moments before.

'daddy! san'box! truck, daddy!'

Large hands lift small sneakers free of the ground for a terrifying stretch of seconds. Smaller heart beats frantically. Anger is blasted away by fear. In the face of implicit threat and unadulterated rage, all else but obedience is forgotten.

'shut up you brat! you'll do what I tell you to or that stupid little truck will stay in the sandbox forever, you understand?! do you?!' ####

At this moment, Alex's dream deviated radically from its usual course. Typically, the nightmare/memory progressed through the aborted rape attempt and ended in his mother's arms. This time, a powerful, intensely angry voice from behind his father intruded on the scene. Despite tones that said non-compliance would result in pain and possibly bloodshed, the dream image of Alex's father did not respond immediately as the newcomer expected.

#### 'put... the boy... down.'

'who the hell are you?! get outta here before I beat your head in!'

'put the boy down and step away.'

'what, you gonna tell me you're about to do somethin' you'll regret? cut the crap asshole...'

'oh, i'm about to do somethin' to you... but nothin' i'll regret. let him go... now.'

With a simple twist of the head, a normal face is utterly transformed into a horror beyond imagining. A shaken child is dropped to the ground as his tormentor scurries away, fearing his life is about to be ripped from him. The half-man that preserved the child's innocence resumes its normal appearance before the young one can emerge from his shock and think to gaze at the creature that has liberated him. When his plaintive voice does rise, it is not his rescuer the child asks for, but the other man expects nothing less.

'daddy?'

'he's gone little one. come to me. i'll be taking you home to your mum.'

A quiet sniff, a final search to be sure his father is nowhere to be seen and the child rises clumsily to his feet. A quizzical look at the other man is followed by a question that surprises his champion. The being grins and stares curiously down at what would, not so long ago, have been mere prey, and an easy meal at that.

'san'box?'

'wha? you wanna go play in the sandbox?'

A vigorous nod.

'truck in san'box. play.'

' i ain't never played in a sandbox mate, but i'll take you if that's what you want.'

A tiny, fragile hand is thrust out and up, pointedly requesting that it be grasped. All fear has been folded and placed back in its proper compartment, replaced by the unwavering trust of the young and under-informed. This faith is soon joined by the complete delight of discovering he possesses knowledge that an adult doesn't.

'you come to san'box. I show how to play wif truck.'

The proffered hand is accepted and the child leads his new friend and protector back toward the playground, eager to pass on the sacred ritual of combining toy cars and copious amounts of dirt. ####

(((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Will? Wh.... what the hell was that?"

"A gift. Nothin' more. I can slip inside dreams... turn 'em around, change how they go. Sometimes."

"Could you always... or only since..." Alex asked, gazing up and back at his housemate.

"Only since. It ain't too reliable an' it depends on whether the one who's dreamin' wants to let me in, but... Peaches don't know, you understand. You're not to tell him, now." Will demanded, but gently. "He wouldn't understand me never sayin' anything to him about it."

"Okay. Mum's the word. Will... you... you saved me. In the dream I didn't... he didn't.... What does this mean.... exactly?"

"Could be a couple different things happen. You might never have that nightmare again, or if ya do it won't ever go the way it did at first. Ya won't forget the way things really happened.... but either way, you'll be able to sleep without fearin' now. That's what counts. 'T's why I did it."

"God, Will... how do I say thank you? Do you even know what you've given me?"

" 'Course I know. Said it was a gift, din't I? Given freely, outta love. Been too long since I did good with that particular... talent. Thought it was about time. You go back to sleep, Alex boy. Nothin' to be afraid of anymore."

"Will..."

"No. Hush an' close your eyes, I said."

"In a minute, okay?" Alex told him, sitting up a bit straighter as he watched Giles move quickly down the front staircase into the living room. The older man stopped close to the couch, fastening his leather jacket as he spoke and watching Alex intently.

"Michael and I are going on for a short trip on the bike. He suggested spending some quiet time in Breaker's woods. We both need to indulge in a little relaxation. We'll probably be back by late this afternoon. Alex, is something wrong?" Giles asked his protégé, who was biting his bottom lip and slowly surveying his mentor head to toe then reversing direction.

"Huh? Oh... oh, no way Rupe. It's just... you've never worn that jacket with... jeans before have you?"

"Not in a long while. What is it? The jeans aren't torn or damaged..."

Alex grinned suddenly and limited the focus of his study to the item of clothing in question.

"No. They're.... just fine. No rips... tight in all the right places. Just... fine. You better go, G-man. I don't think the blonde bombshell over here will appreciate it much if I start drooling on him when said drool isn't *about* him."

Grimacing, Giles pulled out his wallet and checked on his cash reserves.

"You need a couple bucks, luv?" Will inquired.

"No. No, I'm fine. I'm just making sure I have enough to buy the beer. Michael will never cease gloating about this..." he mumbled under his breath as he stowed his wallet again.

"About what?"

"An ill-advised bet. I'll tell you about it when we get back. Behave you two."

"Wha' fun is that?" Will commented dryly.

"I just mean that I expect the building and its contents to be intact when I return."

"Ah. That I think we can manage." Alex reassured him.

"See that you do." Giles told the pair lovingly, trading his usual eye wear for prescription sun glasses as he stepped out of the house, closed the door behind him and strolled down the steps.

"So?" Michael pressed the minute his friend appeared.

Rupert settled in on the seat behind the other man and tugged on the helmet he'd been provided.

"What kind of beer was it you said you wanted?"

Michael's answering roar of laughter was swallowed by the rumble of the engine as he started the motorcycle and guided the machine out into the flow of traffic.

THREE HOURS LATER: BREAKER'S WOODS

"Don't be ridiculous. You've only had one beer, Rupert, you're allowed to have another if you want it. It isn't as if you're drunk off your ass...."

"It isn't ridiculous. I... I'm a great deal more careful with alcohol these days. I have to be...."

"Not today, you don't."

"Yes, today. Every day, in fact, since William became the center of my world. Loving him has exposed a few vital flaws in my character... the illumination was far too harsh for my comfort, but there it is."

"Self-examination is rarely a pleasant experience, Rupert."

"Of course not. I've learned that first hand. The point I was trying to make was that I've come to terms with my tendency to cower behind narcotics when my life gets difficult or painful. Buffy died and instead of facing what had happened, I slid less than gracefully into the bottom of a bottle and stayed there until the pain was so unbearable I was willing to take any route to be rid of it, even if it meant swallowing something far more deadly...."

"Rupert, no. It isn't always that way. You told me yourself that you didn't just collapse after Jennifer's death...."

"Oh, but I tried... I tried very hard. I took one night...twelve of the longest hours of my life, and I drank myself sick. Then I got back on my feet and turned back to the children who depended on me for guidance."

"I see. After Buffy, there was noone to need you... noone to pull out of the nose-dive for."

"Or so I'd convinced myself. Then William strolled blithely into the middle of my guilt and fear... and he shattered them both with a touch. Between the drunken stupor and the resulting hangover, you'd think I wouldn't remember much about those first hours with him... but I remember that. His touch should have been cold... but it burned. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. Everywhere his hands fell it seemed I'd been set aflame...."

As Giles fell deeper into the memory, his voice grew husky and tight and his eyes drifted half closed. Michael watched and listened raptly, entranced by the joy on his friend's face. Soon, the passion and power of the other man's recitation overwhelmed him and Michael reached out to cover Rupert's hand with his own. The move slightly surprised Giles and he paused, gazing curiously down at where their fingers intertwined.

"Michael?"

Jolted, the other man pulled his hand back, flushing and laughing uneasily.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't mean... I was so caught up in what you were saying, I suppose..."

"It's alright, Michael. I'm not angry. Be honest with me, please."

"Don't be so sure about that. Honesty is the cause of more so- called accidents in the home than the bath tub and the stove combined..."

"Michael."

"Alright. In all honesty.... I'm debating whether I want you to stop the story or go on. If you stop right now, I won't have to... excuse myself, but I'll probably strangle you. If you don't stop... I'm afraid I'll end up holding far more than your hand, leading to William strangling *me* when he finds out. Hmm. Perhaps stopping is the better option after all."

"He wouldn't object, I assure you."

"What? Of course he would, Giles, he's your lover.... your soul-mate. Not to mention a vampire in full control of his teeth. If he knew how I'm feeling right now.... he'd rip me to shreds."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Then it might surprise you to know that for the past month, he's been dunning me about inviting you back for an encore performance of our lost weekend."

Michael's jaw dropped open in shock.

"He hasn't."

"He damn well has. At least three times a week. Sometimes four or five. Been driving me bananas."

"He... he wants..."

"... to make love to you again. He also knows I've been wondering... fantasizing. Don't look so stunned, man. William and I are soul- mates, yes. First and foremost, that means our greatest desire is each other's happiness. If you in our bed happens to fulfill that desire for both of us simultaneously... so much the better."

"Me... all of us... together?" Michael squeaked. He cleared his throat nervously, then tried again. "You can't mean..."

Giles leaned in close and whispered softly into Michael's ear.

"I mean precisely what I said. Now, why don't you go dig out that blanket you told me you keep in the bike's saddlebags... and when you get back, I'll finish the story...."

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Mmmm. Hey."

Eyes and voice still fuzzy from sleep, Alex smiled up at his protector as he waited for his vision to focus.

"Go back to sleep. You've only been down a couple hours." Will admonished him tenderly.

"Nah. I'm good. Wanna look at you."

Grinning foolishly, Alex pulled away from Will's embrace slightly and maneuvered his body around until he was lying face up across the other man's lap with his head pillowed on the vampire's thigh. The blonde stroked a hand through Alex's dark hair and returned the smile.

"Better?"

"Much. Total comfyness. I like this angle. The way the light through the window hits your face... did anybody ever tell you how beautiful you are?"

"Peaches used to say that... only when I was in a snit about somethin', though. It was his way a'coolin' me off so I wouldn't get all uppity about goin' to his bed later that night."

"Oh. Will, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like.... I'd never..."

"Hush. I know that. You're a sweet lad.... my sweet Alex. I don't have to ask you the same question, do I?"

Alex sobered abruptly.

"I never thought about it. It's always been... what's the word... a moot point. That's it. My life's been anarchy practically from birth. In the middle of all that, who has time to think about their looks?"

"Noone ever noticed? Not a single female ever said anything to ya?"

Alex shrugged indifferently.

"Not while I was around, anyway."

"Can't be. They couldn't just... walk by this face... an' not see it. I won't believe that." Will protested, running a finger along Alex's cheekbone and down his jawline. The younger man closed his eyes and pressed his face into the touch.

"Feels so good.... Seriously, though, why would they notice me? I'm nothing special."

"Lord... a world full a'women... an they're all friggin' blind. No other way to explain it, is there?" Will breathed softly. His wonder didn't last long. His next words to Alex were a clear command and the other man obeyed instantly. "Alexander Summers. You open your eyes and look at me right this minute."

"Will? What's up?"

"You ain't been listenin' to me when I talk. This time, you damn well open your ears. Get it?" he ordered, a hand on either side of Alex's face, holding him still.

"I get it. Just tell me what I said wrong...."

"Ah-ah, you hush. Hush and listen. I see your beauty. Rupert sees your beauty. The rest of the world, especially the bloody women, can take a long run off a short pier an' drown. They.. don't... count. The only ones who matter are the ones who love you, an' I just told ya what we think. Is that clear, now? Hmmm?"

"Will..."

"No. Is it clear?"

"It's clear. Will.... you said you were holding back... waiting on me to get my head straight. You've been patient long enough."

"Have I?"

"Yeah.... If you're ready, so am I."

"Well.... shall we take this little convo upstairs an' see what it devolves into?"

"I'd love that."

Alex flowed gracefully onto his feet, followed by Will. Both men made their way up to the second floor, one slightly behind the other due only to the narrowness of the staircase. When they reached the top, Will hesitated.

"Everything okay? You still want to, don't you?"

" 'Course I do. I was just thinkin'..."

"Oh. Your place or mine." Alex chuckled softly. "Can it be mine? I'd feel less like a... space invader, you know? Plus, you and sen-sei have too many memories there. The first time I'm with you, I don't wanna have to fight that. When you make love to me, I'm not sharing you with anyone or anything... Damn. No sharing. What am I three years old? I'm sorry, Will. I'm excited and nervous and I tend to make no sense whatsoever in that state..."

"Alex, stop. It made perfect sense."

"It did? I mean.... you understand?"

"Yeah. It's alright, luv. Your room's fine. Move your sweet ass in there an' get them clothes off, will ya? "

Alex grinned wickedly and began backing away.

"Sweet is it? And how would you know?"

"Don't... but I'm about to find out...." Will growled sensually, matching the younger man's grin and stalking after Alex, who laughed, spun on his heel and took off down the hall toward his room.

"Will. Before we go much further, I need you to promise me something." Alex said quietly, staring up at the lithe form braced over him as he lay on his back on the bed.

"Yeah. What?"

"Leave him alone. Please."

Explanations were unnecessary for Will. He knew precisely what "him" they were about to discuss. As much as he feared it might ruin the moment they both wanted so badly, Will was honest with Alex.

"Tell you what, luv. I'll promise not to go after him direct, yeah? Best I can do."

"Not good enough."

"What he tried to do to you won't go unpunished, Alex. I won't let it. Long as he an' I don't cross paths, he won't get hurt, but we meet in public.... all bets are off."

"Will, no. You have to let it go for my sake. Anything you do, I'll feel responsible for..." Alex countered, sitting up.

"You? How the hell are you responsible?"

"I told. I showed you what happened. If I hadn't...."

".... I woulda pressed ya 'till ya did. You had to lay that shit to rest, baby." Will soothed, drawing Alex into his arms.

"But... I should've known it'd just make you mad...."

"Shhh. Stop it, now. I'm more sad than mad. That bastard still controls you.... still got his dirty fingers in your mind, don't he? Breaks my heart...." the older man growled, heated moisture slipping down his face.

"You sound like Dru..." Alex chuckled against Will's neck, even as he wiped away his own tears.

"Sometimes. Sneaks up on me. I've had a few unhealthy attachments myself, ya know. Dru, Angelus... Anya, your so-called family. They screwed with us 'cause we didn't care enough about ourselves to make 'em stop. What say... we make all the blighters take off runnin'?" the vamp asked, nuzzling Alex's collarbone as he laid him down again and covered the younger man's body with his own.

"Can we make them run far enough so they can't ever come back?"

"Damn sure try, pet...."

"That's all I'm asking for." Alex replied, lifting his hips up to press hungrily against Will's. "Man, all the nookie sen-sei gives you and you're still horny as a Texas toad at a moment's notice... how do you do that?"

"I don't. It's you, sweetness... been wantin' to touch you...feel you movin' inside me... been drivin' me batshit waitin' for you to be ready... 'sides, I told ya anybody'd be randy lookin' at your body day after day..."

"You wanna see my body... make a move." Alex teased, sliding his hands around the vamp's lower back.

One by one, the buttons on Alex's shirt were carefully bitten off while deft hands worked his pants open. Grinning, the younger man shifted his grip down to Will's taut ass and squeezed encouragingly.

"Message received, pretty. Hang on..."

"I am." Alex responded with a laugh as he gave Will another goose then sought out his lips for a sustained, crushing kiss.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

As he returned with the blanket, Michael had to fight the urge to run full speed back to where Giles waited for him. His eagerness for human contact worried him at times. He held no illusions concerning his own culpability when it came to reaching out and giving others the opportunity to reach back. Cordelia had tossed out several clear invitations in the past few months, but he'd acted oblivious to her signals. Occasionally, he'd even gotten the impression that if he turned to Angel, under the guise of giving and receiving simple relief, his offer would have been accepted. He'd eventually decided that he valued friendship, and a strong working relationship, far too much to muddy the waters on either count.

{Giles, William... it's a different situation entirely. The silt's already been stirred up, hasn't it? The water can't very well get any cloudier. I'm sweating, and trembling and aching all over... I need someone to touch me, damn it, and for the moment, I don't care why. Whatever he's willing to give, I'll take. To hell with reasoning and logic..... they can wait until I'm no longer able to drive nails with my cock....}

As Michael approached, Rupert rose to his feet and brushed his clothes, scattering blades of grass and other debris. Together, the two men spread the blanket out then resettled themselves, Michael stretched on his side and supported on one elbow, Giles on his back, hands behind his neck and eyes closed.

"Now... where was I?" Giles teased.

"Don't be unkind, Rupert. You know perfectly well you where you were." His companion responded, his voice tight and strained.

"Oh, yes. That.... William had just suggested that perhaps it was time he truly got down to business.... down to my business specifically. I was terrified, but willing... at least at first. When I felt his breath against my thigh....the sensation of moving air so close to my erection shocked me and I just clamped my legs together. The fear wanted to take charge, but he wouldn't let it. He reassured me that he could make it alright. He massaged my feet... then my ankles.... he moved up to my calves.... By the time he reached my inner thighs, I was completely relaxed. He moved so quickly I didn't have time to even think about being afraid. He just swept in and began tonguing me.... I think I fell in love right then and there. I should have known that after a hundred and some years the boy would have acquired skills, but... he was incredible."

Giles stopped at that point, his expression soft and dreamy as if he'd lost himself in the memory of that day. He remained silent for nearly three minutes before Michael protested, nearly managing not to make it a whine.

"Rupert.... please. You did say you'd finish the story...."

"Hmmm. I did indeed, but... do you really want me to keep talking, Michael? I could... if that's what you *really* want me to do."

It took a few seconds for the younger man to get the point, but when he did a wavering, hopeful smile broke out on his face.

"Please tell me you're offering a hands-on demonstration?"

"Hands, lips, tongue.... any combination of the three. Shall I take it you're interested?"

"God, yes!" Michael shouted, hiding his face in embarrassment immediately afterward. Giles laughed gently, rolled toward the other man and guided him down onto his back, nudging his hands out of the way so he could kiss him briefly.

"It's alright, love. Enthusiastic is much better than apathetic when it comes to this.... Oooh. And we are ready, aren't we?" Giles commented dryly, sliding one hand back and forth over the damp patch at the junction of Michael's thighs.

"Must I repeat... God, yes...."

"Wouldn't exactly turn me off if you did...." Rupert replied as he worked his lover's zipper down and efficiently released the straining cylinder of flesh from its dual prisons.

"Rupert... ohhh.... lovely... k.. keep touching me.... just that way...."

"Since you ask so nicely...."

Fingers gripping gently, Rupert began slow strokes, which Michael responded to with breathy moans and rolling hips. "Mmmm.... heavenly....ahhhh..... that feels so good.... Rupert.... can I.... can I touch you.... please..."

"In a bit. This moment is yours. Enjoy it."

"Moment... yes... that's about... how long I'm going to last...."

"We'll see." The other replied, slowing his movements.

"Oh... oh, no... that wasn't exactly... what I meant..."

"We've a long way to go yet, Michael. I know you need relief, but I want this to be memorable."

"I'm being expertly fondled.... in a public park.... in the middle of the day.... How much more memorable can it get?"

"Oh.... quite a lot." Rupert answered, drawing back Michael's foreskin and darting his tongue directly into the slit to collect a drop or two of the fluid that was leaking out. Michael arched his back and stuffed a hand into his mouth to prevent his joyous crow from resounding through the park. Rupert smirked triumphantly before beginning to work his friend's cock in earnest. Several minutes of expert technique later, Michael produced a body-length twitch and began to pour his come down his lover's throat. Rupert accepted it with delight and abandon, licking his lips like a satiated cat when he finally pulled away.

"Mmmm. Lovely.... a much better dessert than those chocolate bars you insisted on buying."

"I... it isn't my fault.... I've become addicted.... to Snicker's..." Michael replied between deep, shuddering breaths. "Bloody confection companies.... they put more in those things than they're telling...."

"Personally... I prefer Tootsie Pops. They've got that sweet.... hard shell outside.... and you have to lick... and lick to get to the treasure in the middle."

Michael laughed, shook his head and drew Rupert slowly up his body until he could plant a grateful kiss on the other man's lips.

"You are incorrigible, Rupert Giles. I simply don't know how William puts up with you."

"He loves me."

"Yes, and I'm beginning to see why. I needed this very badly.... thank you."

"My pleasure. Literally."

"Speaking of which, do you need... I mean I can feel...."

"Soon, but not now. Let's just rest quietly for a while first, hmmm? Soak up a little more of this glorious sun."

"Yes. Marvelous idea."

Tucking himself close to Rupert's side, Michael closed his eyes, threw one arm over his lover's ribcage and let his thoughts drift, carrying his mind away from worries about the past or uncertainty about his future.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Will...."

"C'mon, Alex. Ya can't hurt me, you know that. I want you. I want that monster thrustin' inside me.... an' I want it without anythin' between us."

"No protection.... I don't know, Will."

"We're both immortal, boy. We can't get sick or knocked up, an' if you get.... excited, I'll heal in a couple minutes. You remember, don't ya? How it felt when Rupe let go inside you... the heat an' the power when he filled ya up...."

Alex shivered and closed his eyes briefly as he relived the memory of his first time. When he looked at Will again, he was smiling.

"Can you... show me? I mean, I've been on the other side of this, but...."

"Yeah. Kneel over me... that's right. Here, grease that beauty real good...." He instructed, handing Alex the bottle of lubricant. Alex, however, decided to prepare Will first, as a means to increasing his own arousal. Slipping his fingers beneath and behind the vamp's balls, the younger man massaged and caressed the slick fluid into Will's entrance until it was relaxed enough for him to slide a finger inside.

"Remember? Oh, yeah... I remember. Feel good? Not too much, is it?"

"Not enough. Do another...."

Alex added a second finger, then a third and a fourth, twisting and stretching his lover gradually. By this point, both men were more than ready to move on. Will lubed Alex's cock for him, grinning wildly, then guided the other man forward and wrapped his ankles around Alex's lower back.

"Do it, sweet boy.... put it in me now...."

Slowly, Alex drove his ass down, pushing steadily until he had buried half of his cock inside Will. The vampire moaned deeply, clenching and unclenching his hands in the skin over Alex's spine.

"Don't stop there, damn you... shove in... fill me."

"S... sorry.... this just feels... incredible.... beyond words...."

"Me as well, luv... me as well.... but I need more...."

"Yeah... okay.... I love you, Will... take it all, baby...." Alex murmured as he moved the rest of the way into Will's body with one powerful thrust. Will shouted and laughed, reveling in the strength and control of the man making love to him.

"Yeah! That's the way! So good.... pull out.... not too far.... that's right.... now come back to me, sweetness.... find the rhythm.... there it is.... gonna be there with ya when ya come.... gonna be there, Alex...."

Alex sped up and slowed down, sped up and slowed down, keeping both of them in a state of near-bliss for almost fifteen minutes before he thrust one last time and achieved his release. As he'd promised, Will's orgasm hit only a moment behind Alex's. Neither man was able to speak for several minutes. Will recovered his voice only when Alex began to slowly retreat. "Hey.... no. Stay for a while...."

Nuzzling Will's neck like a colt seeking sustenance from its mother, Alex murmured something unintelligible and settled back down. Despite the lack of actual syllables, the vamp got the message. "Love you too, pet. Sleep, now. Yeah... that's the way. Sleep. You'll only have good dreams, I swear...."

TWO HOURS LATER:

As Rupert maneuvered Michael's motorcycle carefully back into its space in front of the house, snugging it expertly against the curb, the younger man finally released his hold on his companion's waist. His tired, though blissful, sigh didn't escape Giles' notice.

"I thought as much."

"What?" Michael asked, fighting down a yawn.

"You've been sleeping about as well as I have, that's what. Let's get you inside."

"It's your fault. You did your level best to completely wear me out."

"I suppose I did." Rupert responded easily as he swung off the bike and stood, stretching mildly stiff muscles. "C'mon. Up you get. Just time for a nap before dinner."

Michael threw one leg over the motorcycle, resulting in him sitting side-saddle, but he didn't get to his feet. Instead he sat staring up at the house with a concerned expression clouding his features.

"You're certain?"

"About William? Yes, very certain. I told you he won't be jealous. He's been looking forward to having you in the house on a more permanent basis. Says he wants to really get to know you. Beyond the biblical sense, I mean."

"Yes.... I'd be interested in talking to him as well. I've read the chronicles, of course, but we both know the best stories are often the ones left out."

Smiling, Giles held out his hand. Michael gripped it firmly, used it to lever himself up and the pair strolled inside together.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Will.... Hey, wake up. I think the wanderers are home from their trip to the woods."

"Huh.... oh. They're back are they?" Will replied sleepily. "Wonder if they had as good a time as we did?"

"Throw something on and let's go find out."

"I'm not ashamed of my body..."

"Will. House rule number five is no displaying our assets in front of guests. It frightens them."

A'right, a'right. Where'd my jeans get to?"

"I vaguely remember you throwing them in the direction of the window. Ooops. The... open window." Alex chuckled.

Will grimaced and slid out of bed to have a look. Indeed, his jeans were in a heap on the back lawn several feet below.

"Damn... You go on. I'll go find somethin' else to wear in my room an' be right down."

"Okay. Don't take too long. You might miss the juicy parts of the story."

"Yeah, well, you don't let either of 'em talk 'till I get there, right?"

"I'll try to keep the conversation neutral. Just hurry!" Alex admonished, tugging Will's t-shirt on instead of his own.

"Hey...."

"Just for a little while, please? It makes me happy.... it smells like you...." the younger man murmured, nuzzling into the vamp's shoulder. "Smoky like cigarettes... and spicy like your...." Will grinned and cut him off before his words enticed both of them back to bed.

"God a'mighty, you are a wicked tease.... keep the bloody shirt.... looks better on you anyhow. Shows off that glorious chest a'yours...."

"If I take it off again you could get a better look..."

"Bad Alex! You need to get downstairs, boy, before they start wonderin' what's goin' on up here..."

"Let them wonder. Though I have a feeling their imaginations don't need any help right now..."

"Alexxx....."

"Okay, okay. I'm going. We're finishing this later...."

"No doubt about that. No doubt at all...." Will mumbled as he followed Alex out of the room.

Michael and Rupert were curled up on the couch with cups of tea when Alex came bounding down the stairs a few minutes later.

"Welcome back guys. Have a... relaxing day?" Alex asked, smiling brightly.

"Absolutely. It appears you did as well. Isn't that one of William's shirts?" Rupert countered, adding a wry smile.

"I didn't steal it, I swear. He said I could keep it."

"Where is he, by the way?"

"Finding something else to put on."

"Else? What in the world is that supposed to mean?" Michael inquired, his concept of the household dynamic shifting radically.

"The window was open, we were both kinda eager to get on with things.... and he didn't look where he was throwing his pants. He'll be down as soon as he grabs another pair."

Just then, Will came jogging down to join the group in the living room. Giving everyone an embarrassed grin in lieu of an explanation, he continued on through the kitchen and into the back yard. Once he'd collected his jeans, he re-entered the house, dropped them in the laundry room that lay just inside the back door and quickly returned to the others. Giles grinned softly as Will dropped next to him on the couch and placed a gentle kiss on his temple.

"Soulmate. How'd the jaunt to the woods go, eh?"

"Very well. Quite tiring....."

"Thought it might be. When Mikey gets goin' he's a wild one, he is. Hey, we gonna do the circle tonight or wait? I mean... wanna ease him into the house routine, right?"

"It's up to him. Are you ready to make a start on your commitment to us, Michael? There isn't any pressure, really. If you like you're perfectly welcome to hold off until next week."

"No, no. I... I agreed that being a part of this household meant taking part in the... the group therapy sessions. I'm ready."

"Good. William, love, get the pillows would you?"

"Sure." Will replied, rising and heading for the closet after another quick kiss.

"Alex...."

"The books. I'm on it. Is there one for Michael, or am I sharing?" Alex asked over his shoulder as he headed for the small set of bookshelves tucked in the back corner of the living room.

"After you called Sunday I went out and picked up an extra one. They said if I bring it back tomorrow, they could have the embossing done by Wednesday afternoon."

"Awesome." Alex commented as he returned with four journal- sized books in his hands. As Will arranged the pillows on the floor, Alex passed two of the small volumes to their owners, gave the new one to Michael and dropped on a cushion clutching his own.

"What is this, Alex?"

"It's a lot of things. Here in the circle it's a.... well sort of like a bible and a hymnal in one. The words we say every week to strengthen our bond and to open and close the circle are in here. There's poetry, pieces of song lyrics.... Mostly though, it's a journal. You'll see. Here." he offered, holding his book where Michael could see it. "You can copy everything down later. For tonight just follow along, okay?"

Michael smiled gratefully, put aside his confusion and uncertainty and focused on the page Alex was showing him, which held a short responsive reading. Once all four were seated and had taken a moment to relax and slow their breathing, Giles began:

"We come to this circle of our own free will."

" " "We come seeking support and strength." " "

"We come to this circle with open hearts and minds."

" " "We come seeking honesty and truth. " " "

"We come to this circle bearing our needs, our sorrows and our burdens."

" " " We come seeking peace. " " "

"I, Rupert, hereby open this circle. May all within its protection find what they seek this night."

Stretching out his right hand, Rupert grasped William's left tightly and the blonde took his turn to speak.

"I, William, extend the circle."

Alex accepted Will's hand then repeated the phrase.

"I, Alexander, extend the circle."

By the time Alex reached out for his hand, Michael had gotten the idea and was ready. He tentatively gripped Rupert's left hand and spoke the phrase that had been Alex's when it was just the three of them, but would now be his for as long as he chose to stay.

"I, Michael, complete the circle."

To his surprise, Michael felt a tiny rill of magic flow over and through him, but it was gone so quickly that he wasn't sure he'd ever really felt it. He opened his mouth to ask about it, but Rupert was already getting started, so he tabled his question for later.

"Okay," Giles began, "I believe it's Alex's turn to go first this week."

Will turned to Alex and touched his cheek briefly.

"No pressure, boy. You know that. If you ain't ready..."

"No, I am. Thanks to you. Am I allowed to tell them about..."

"Yeah? Well, go on. Tell 'em about..."

"What you did for me. I promised not to tell Angel, and I won't, but...."

"Oh. Yeah, well, that's different, ain't it? He made me. Childer tell their Sires every tiny little thing. If he knew I'd held somethin' this major back from him... he'd be furious, I expect. These two can be told, though. They don't know me well enough yet to get brassed off."

"Thank you, Will." Alex acknowledged with a quick squeeze of his friend's hand as he turned back to face the center of the circle. "After that weekend the four of us spent together in Rupert's old place, I thought my nightmares were gone forever. As far as I was concerned, that part of my life was over and I could look to the future. The damn Powers changed all that when they... when they showed me who led me off the playground.... who betrayed me. You know.... I've faced so much real evil in my life that wasn't of this world. I didn't think it could possibly be harder to face it in human form.... in the human form of someone I used to trust. Man, was I wrong. Today, after I woke up from a new, much more detailed nightmare, Will held me for a while, told me I was safe 'till I calmed down some. Then he said if I was brave enough to close my eyes again, he'd show me something. Boy, did he ever. It turns out that if the person wants to let him in, Will can get inside people's dreams and change them. He turned my nightmare completely around. He saved me... ran my father off and made it like the... the attack never happened. It doesn't change reality, of course. I was... attacked and my father's still a drunken bastard who never should have had kids, but.... Will made it so I don't have to be afraid to go to sleep. I'll never be able to pay back the debt I owe you for your gift, Will, but I'm damn sure gonna try."

"I did it 'cause I could, Alex. And 'cause I couldn't stand to see you hurtin' like that. As for payin' me back, ya did that a couple times over up in your room, luv..."

Alex didn't argue right then, but he locked gazes with Will for a fleeting moment and the vamp knew the debate over repayment was far from finished.

Giles swiped away an errant tear before he spoke again.

"Well done, Alex. Well done, William."

Will grinned at the simple words of praise, then looked confused.

"Hang on. Why do I get a well done?"

"You let Alex tell your secret. That couldn't have been easy. You also committed an utterly selfless act in using your gift to offer healing to someone else. If anything deserves a reward, that does. Michael. It's your turn."

"I.. I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to say."

"Why don't you start with what you hope to achieve through the circle?"

"Huh. More than anything, I think I need to come to terms with what the Powers revealed about me. To say the least... it was devastating. Just before they sent me back, they.... what they did to me may destroy my friendship with Angel. If I can get over the trauma, I at least have a chance of preventing that destruction."

"But you ain't ready to talk about what they did yet." Will reasoned, gazing sympathetically at Michael.

"No. It... it was so frightening, so painful.... I don't know how I'll ever be able to speak of it. I must try, though. I know I must try."

"Don't think you gotta push yourself any faster than yer ready to go, Mikey. Rupe had just as rough a time of it, an' it's taken him this long to get to where he can even let go of bits an' pieces. Give yourself some time, man."

"Yes.... thank you for that. I understand what you're saying and I know you're right. It's.... I just feel as if I don't have a great deal of time to get this off my heart. It's eating at me... turning me into someone I don't want to be."

"Who is that?" Giles asked gently.

"Someone who's reticent, fearful, suspicious. I'd gotten beyond all that in my time with Angel and Cordy and Gunn. Now... it's begun to feel as if I've regressed. I've become the man who deserved to be called Wesley the Weakling.... Wesley the Worthless. I've retreated into a frame of mind I hate and... that makes me very angry."

"Michael...." Alex gasped in disbelief. "Who called you those sickening names?"

The other man dropped his chin into his chest and responded very quietly.

"Knowing would do noone any good now. Let it be."

"No way. You're family now. Nobody talks like that about my family." Alex insisted, turning Michael on the pillow until they faced each other. "I wanna know who hurt you like that. Please...."

"She's dead, Alex! I won't desecrate her memory by dragging up sordid tales out of the past."

"Oh my God. Buffy? I didn't think she was capable of being that cruel...."

"They didn't know what they were saying. Teenage girls rarely do. Besides it was something I overheard completely by accident. They had no idea I was in the stacks looking for a book...."

"They, huh? Willow... I will so slap her down for that.... She thought she had a beef with me over Anya? Damn that girl..."

"No, don't. It.. it wasn't Willow. She's a sweet child. She would never say something so intentionally malicious. It was... Faith actually."

"Buffy started it though?"

Michael nodded slowly. Alex looked to Giles briefly, received a look of confirmation then turned back. "Find page five in my journal." He said gently, handing his book to the other man. "I want you to read what's written in at the top."

"Alex...."

"Just do it, okay?"

Grudgingly, Michael found the correct page and quietly recited the short bit of original verse Alex had penned in his small, neat cursive.

"Sticks and stones will break men's bones, but words hurt worst of all. They cause the hearer to doubt himself, and no longer stand so tall. Unlike a bruise, the pain persists, and the words themselves do too. Sometimes they last forever, though the words were never true."

His voice cracking on the last word or two, Michael looked up at Alex with tears shining in his eyes, but found he could not speak any further. Alex gathered the smaller man into his arms easily.

"I'm proud of you for telling us about that awful day, Mikey. Now put it behind you. You'll never get treated that way in this house.... and if anybody *outside* the four of us does it, I'll stomp on their heads, okay? We know what you're worth. The rest of the world's gonna learn damn fast."

Alex murmured and consoled Michael for a few more minutes before the former watcher pulled away, swiping at his eyes and solemnly thanking both his comforter and the group.

"No thanks necessary." Rupert reassured him. "I do love that poem, Alex. It speaks to the core of what we've all been through, I think. Well.... William, love? I think it's your turn."

Sharp Curves..... 7

Giles' reference to World War II comes from a novel about Spike and Dru, called "Pretty Maids All In a Row" The book is by Christopher Golden and I highly, highly recommend it for fans of the gruesome twosome. It's a fascinating pre-Buffy glimpse into the life of these two at the height of their strength and power. A fantastic read. (It was so intriguing and well written, I practically consider it canon. Rupert's mother even puts in an appearance at the end! How cool is that!)

FOUR DAYS LATER: FRIDAY, EARLY MORNING

"No, I don't want you to call them either, Michael. I don't want to talk to them at all."

"I know you don't, but that's not the point. You're going to have to have contact with the Council at some point, even if it's only to confirm or refute whether they are indeed sending someone, or more than one someone, to irritate the living hell out of you for a few days. You can call them, and keep the conversation short and on point, thereby ensuring your blood pressure stays at non-cardiac arrest levels or...."

"I know, I know. Alex is doing so well without their interference and judgment. I don't want him to have to waste precious energy and time on one of the Council's fruitless jaunts into the land of sheer stupidity."

Michael glanced up reproachfully at Giles.

"Rupert Anthony Giles. You haven't even told him they *might* be coming, have you?"

"Not as yet, no...."

"He's going to be furious with you when he finds out! If Watchers just show up on the doorstep and he's had no advanced warning....."

"He'll likely declare his love, then disembowel me. I'm quite aware of the potential consequences of my inaction." Giles countered with a heavy sigh. "Fine, damn it. But let it be known that I only do this under duress." He announced, heading for the phone. "Yes. I'd like to speak to Winston Kelleher, if he's about. Oh? Good. Yes, please. Rupert Giles. Hold? Yes, of course. Hello, Winston! Good to hear your voice as well. Yes, it has been far too long. No, well... I actually.... No, I'm doing marvelously.... Winston, if I could.... it is the truth, actually. You can be as appalled as you care to. It is my life, after all... I do recall what occurred during WW II. My family was involved in the rebuilding in case you've forgotten....."

Fearing sensitive subjects were about to be raised, Michael slipped out and up the stairs to join the others in the living room. Alex moved to meet Michael and embraced him quickly.

"Glad you could tear yourself away, Mikey. I wanted to say good-bye before I left for work.."

"Well... thank you. I wasn't expecting.... I mean...."

"You're family. I wouldn't dare leave you out of the morning routine."

"Family.... yes." Michael murmured, pulling away. Alex smiled and touched his face.

"I know. Believe me I know. That word doesn't exactly bring up happy memories for me either, but we're here to change that for each other. Family will come to mean something really good, I promise. We'll talk when I get home, okay?" Alex vowed, dropping a swift kiss on Michael's cheek.

"Alright. Thank you, Alex."

Grabbing his tools, Alex smiled broadly at Michael, gave Will his kiss, hug and a sweet word or two and strode out the door. The former Watcher gazed after him with admiration and a bit of envy. "Xander truly is gone for good, isn't he?"

"Not by a long shot." Will corrected. "Not until he deals with that human filth that calls himself his father. He's doin' real well, though. He's walked a long way. The tyke that slept on the lawn at Christmas to get away from the booze an' the battles is miles behind him, but the journey's not done yet."

Michael turned to look at Will, not bothering to hide his surprise.

"He's not the only one who's done some traveling."

To his relief, the comment earned him a smile instead of a prickly or outright hostile reaction.

" 'T's true. I've put some distance 'tween me an' Spike. Gonna take me a lot longer than it will Alex, but I'm movin' at least. That's somethin', ain't it?"

"Yes. It is indeed."

When Will patted the cushion beside him on the couch, Michael, after a minute or two of consideration, complied and took a seat. It was only when Will tried to turn the other man away, so that they'd be back to chest, that Michael balked.

"What do you... I mean, what are you planning?"

"Nothin' sinister. I'm outta that game, remember? Won't hurt ya, pet. Just wanna take a crack at these shoulders a'yours, alright? Keep all your stress up here, you do. I could see that from across the bloody room. Go on. Turn a bit...."

Slightly reassured, Michael did as Will had asked and was soon in figurative heaven.

"Hmmm.... oh.... oh my.... Ouch!"

"Sorry 'bout that. You're all knotted up, mate. It's gonna hurt a little 'till they start untyin'. I'll go a mite easier...."

"Yes... no problem, really.... marvelous.... ahhh...."

"There goes some a'that tension. Better, yeah?"

"Mmmm.... very much so...."

"How in hell do you sleep at night, luv? All these words locked up in here...."

"Words? I'm.... ohhh... I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Accordin' to Rupe, you're one a'those that don't do well at standin' up an' speakin' your mind. All the words ya don't know how to say.... they turn into stress.... the stress ends up in your shoulders. You must get blindin' headaches sometimes.... an' stiff necks as well."

"Actually... yes. Occasionally.... it does get so bad I... I can't sleep."

"No more a'that. Not while I'm around. You get feelin' like that.... you come to me. I'll see you sleep sound, pet, that's a pledge. Matter a'fact... why don't we make this a regular thing? Least 'till you're strong enough to stop tuckin' the words away and let 'em come out your mouth. How's that sound, hmmm?"

"Making such an imposition on your time.... I couldn't ask you to do that."

"Good thing you don't have to, then."

"Spike...."

"Ah-ah. You been adopted, Mikey. You get to call me Will, just like Rupe and Alex do. So. Two or three nights a week do ya for now? We can make it more than that if the headaches and neck pain hit real hard...."

"No.... I mean, three nights a week would be wonderful. Thank you... Will."

"Welcome."

Will continued the gentle, calming massage for a few more minutes, halting only when he noticed his subject's head drooping. Slowly, Will rose to his feet and softly laid Michael down, sliding a pillow under his head. Pulling an afghan from the back of the couch, he covered the sleeping man and crept down to the kitchen.

"Did Alex get off alright?" Giles asked. Will hushed him and pulled him toward the back stairs.

"Just fine, baby. Keep it down, though, okay? I gave Mikey one a'my no-fail neck an' shoulder rubs an' he's sleepin' on the couch."

"Oh? Then we shouldn't disturb him by hanging about down here, should we?" Giles replied more quietly, his eyes gleaming with mischievous ideas.

"Just what I was thinkin', lover mine. Just what I was thinkin'...."

SIX HOURS NORTH: TEN A.M.

"We are stopping for breakfast at some point, I hope?"

"Soon, okay? I wanna get a few more miles in."

"You're an obsessive driver, Joseph, do you know that?"

"Am not."

"Please! You spent nearly an hour yesterday playing with the cruise control because it wasn't set precisely at sixty."

"Don't exaggerate. It was more like forty minutes."

"Okay. How about stopping every hundred miles to check the air in the spare tire?"

"Do you *wanna* be caught without the spare if we get a flat?"

"If I drop a gum wrapper on the floor, the top of your head blows off...."

"I like a clean car! What is this, torture the poor, retired Watcher day?"

The man in the passenger's seat sulked prettily for a moment before he responded.

"I suppose so.... if I can't have my music."

"Not that again!"

"I enjoy jazz and blues, Joe, just not for three days straight. All I'm asking is that you let me play my CD once. I'd like a little Christmas music, that's all."

"But.... alright, alright. One run-through. Then we switch to something we both agree on, deal?"

"Deal." the other agreed, now smiling brightly. Digging the CD out of the bag at his feet, he handed it to the driver, who scowled as he extracted the disc and fed it into the player. Soon, cheerful saxophone and drum filled the small space.

*Okay, boys. Are you ready to start? Simon? Ready! Theodore? Ready, Dave. Alvin? Alvin? Alvin!*

SUNNYDALE: LATE THAT AFTERNOON

Slowly opening his eyes, Michael finally stirred as the smell of broiling steak and simmering sauces glided by his nose. Producing a jaw-cracking yawn, he pushed himself up to a sitting position and stretched then rose and stumbled his sleepy way down into the kitchen. He found Giles at the stove tending two saucepans from which some of the wonderful aromas were emanating.

"Welcome back to the world, Michael. I thought you might sleep through the night." Rupert kidded, lowering the heat under his creations. "Have a seat. Dinner will be just a little while longer."

"God... what time is it?"

"Nearly five-thirty."

"No.... that... that isn't possible."

"Of course it is." Rupert said, wiping his hands on a tea towel as he sat down next to his new housemate. "Ten hours of sleep isn't unusual after one of William's massages. Still, you must have needed it very badly."

"Yes. I suppose I did. He has the hands of a master masseuse, no question. Though I don't think the massage would have been so effective if it weren't for his voice. The things he said..."

"Mmm. Go on."

"Well... I'm not sure why, knowing what I do of his past, but he made me feel so safe. I felt safe and accepted and.... cared for."

Giles grinned softly.

"He's a master at that as well."

"Quite. He's offered to continue the massages two or three nights a week as long as I need them to be able to sleep."

"You've had a sample of how effective they can be. I'd suggest you take him up on the offer."

"I... already did."

Just then, Will came in from the backyard carrying a tray loaded with meat and grilled vegetables. He and Giles fell into conversation about whose turn it was to set the table and a few moments later, Alex arrived home and jogged down the stairs into the blissful warmth of the kitchen and the loving arms of his new family. Somewhere in the midst of friendly arguments about washing one's hands before even looking at the food, Michael decided he would be the one to put out the dishes. In the process of performing the simple task, he came to realize that, as difficult as his transition back to Sunnydale might be, he had a real home, and friends and lovers to guide him through it. For the first time since his arrival, thoughts of the life he'd left behind in L.A. didn't hurt quite so much.

Sharp Curves.... INTERLUDE AND EXPOSITION

MONDAY:

"We have to let him know how close we are, Joe. It's not only polite, there's a good chance we'll be shot at if we don't."

"Maybe, but after what Winnie said last night...."

"None of us have any choice in this, you know that. The boy has to be looked at by *someone*. We got elected."

"More like shanghaied. The Watchers on their side screwed 'em over more than once. We know that, even if we don't have details. They don't have the slightest reason to trust us. I hate this...."

"Do you see me jumping up and down in excitement? Doesn't matter. I'm making the call."

"I'm goin' out to find a six-pack and dinner."

"Bring me back something greasy and full of fat and calories."

"Yeah... be a little crueler why don't ya. Bugger won't gain an ounce." Joe muttered as he headed out the door, then turned and yelled over his shoulder, "Some of us are old and have low metabolism, you know!"

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Rupert Giles."

"Mister Giles. This is Adam Pierson. You were told to expect my call?"

"I was hoping to avoid it, actually. This is the first time all day I haven't let the blasted machine pick up."

"So that's why I haven't been able to reach you. After Winston called us last evening, I suspected as much."

"If you've spoken to him then you know my position. I won't allow Alex to be subjected to whatever.... barbaric show of power the bloody Council has cooked up, and I will not be coerced into betraying another young person I care for. We all bear scars from the last time and..."

"Mr. Giles, if you'll just listen for a moment, I'm sure you'll see that..."

"I don't want to listen. Please, don't do this. Alex doesn't deserve it. Turn around and go back to whatever it is Winston Kelleher dragged you away from."

"I'm very sorry. We can't do that. You must understand that the boy has to be evaluated and his environment examined. Rumors about you and your charge are causing dissension and agitation and the Council demands facts...."

"The Council can demand any damn thing they want, they're not getting it. I won't help them hurt Alex. Go home, Mr. Pierson." Giles stated firmly, slamming the receiver back into its cradle.

Adam pulled the phone away from his ear, wincing at the volume at which Giles had chosen to cut off their conversation. A moment later, he was dialing again.

"Winston? Adam. I want those records faxed to me immediately. No, I won't listen to reason. Bull! Something went very wrong during Buffy Summers' Cruciamentum and.... It has nothing to do with confidentiality, damn it, the Council is covering its lily-white ass. I want those records or I won't go through with this. I'll head straight for the airport and take Joe with me. No, I want everything. Especially a copy of her Watcher's notes. Very good. I have the fax number right here.... What? Of course I know this is a breach of protocol. I don't much care. You're not sending me into the lion's den with only half a sword and a rusty shield...."

Sharp Curves..... 8

Because of word selection at the end, this piece is a hard R, okay? I use the f-word so rarely in my work it's like I don't use it at all, but as Dee Snider once sang so succinctly:

"I don't swear. Well, just a bit. Sometimes gee-whiz and golly don't make it."

THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAY: LATE AFTERNOON

"Is that the house?"

Joe Dawson peered out the driver's side window, squinting slightly against the sun.

"The address is right... this time. Why don't they ever give us up-to-date intel?"

"They do it deliberately so they can feel as if they're being sneaky. Gives them a sense of being in control." his companion replied tiredly. "They all aspire to James Bond and act like Inspector Clouseau..... Lovely place. Larger than I expected."

Emerging from the car, Joe stretched his achy back and rubbed his eyes.

"From what I read in the file they sent, this first meeting is gonna be pure hell. You know that, don't ya?"

"Not if we handle it properly."

"And just how are we supposed to handle the fact that they both hate the Watchers, with good reason?"

"First, we explain the division of labor on the council. Second we keep our eyes on the floor and our cute pink tongues firmly on their insteps of their Doc Marten's."

"Disassociate from the enemy, minimal eye contact an' lick their boots every chance we get. Got it. Anything else?"

"That should get us safe passage through the door and a seat on the couch. Beyond that.... we go with the flow."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"Alex! I'm up to my elbows in dinner. Can you get the door?"

"Yeah, sure, sen-sei. No problem." The young man answered. Reluctantly laying aside his dog-eared, well loved copy of 'The Art of War', Alex uncurled from his cozy spot at the end of the sofa, rose and strode to the door. As he swung it open, he carefully tempered his mild irritation from face and voice before he greeted the two strangers waiting on the steps.

"Hi. Can I help you?"

The younger looking of the two men immediately retreated one step, raising a hand to his forehead. His partner glanced briefly in his direction, to assure himself his friend was alright, then refocused on his objective.

"You can if you're Xander Harris."

"I don't use that name any more. Is he okay?"

"He'll be fine. If that's not your name, can I ask what you *are* calling yourself?"

"Can I ask why you think you have any right to know?"

Recovering his composure, Adam stepped forward again and held out his hand.

"They warned me you were quick witted. Adam Pierson. This is my colleague Joseph Dawson. Didn't your mentor tell you we'd be arriving today?"

"No." Alex replied simply. Though the others waited patiently, he said nothing further and refused, as well, to step out of the doorway.

"It's rather chilly out here. Are we to be allowed in?" Pierson asked finally.

"That depends on how you answer my next question."

"Which is?"

"Who's "they" ?"

"Pardon me?"

"You said "they" warned you I was quick witted. Tell me who "they" are."

"Ah. I see. "They" are the Watcher's Council of England."

"Uh-hmm. I thought I recognized the unpleasant aroma. Come in, but you should know you won't be staying long."

Alex moved aside, allowing the pair to enter, and shut the door behind them, watching their every move with intense focus and wariness. "Sit." He ordered when they reached the couch. They dutifully obeyed. "I'll be right back. I have to go smack my trainer unconscious. Don't touch my book.... or anything else."

As Alex strode angrily across the room and down the short flight of stairs into the kitchen, Adam gazed curiously down at the volume beside him, but followed orders and kept his hands to himself. Reading the title sent one eyebrow arcing upward and he turned back to speak to Joe.

"Sun-Tzu. He can't be more than... what, twenty?"

"Twenty-one according to his file. 'Art of War', huh? Impressive if he gets what he's reading, which there's no guarantee he does. The kid's got a strong presence though, I'll say that for him."

"Absolutely. Not at all what an examination of his background would lead one to expect. Then there's the added factor."

"And that is?"

"He's immortal."

"What?! No way! They would have told us!"

"I've been sensing my own kind for most of history, Joseph and I'm telling you he is one. The signal.... it's off somehow, though. It has this warp and a high pitched whine.... before it finally backed off, I thought I might have a stroke. He's not the only infant Immortal, either. There are at least two more in the house."

"But... the Council's alerted whenever a new Immortal suffers first death. How the hell could they miss not one, but three?!"

"That's the question, isn't it? Suppose you ring up Winston Kelleher and see if he has an answer?" he responded crossly, handing Joe his cell phone.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

In the kitchen, Giles, under the guise of making tea for their guests, toyed with the lid of the pot, acting as if it was stuck, and pretended he couldn't find the canister of loose tea, all so he could avoid Alex's furious, accusing gaze. Alex allowed the pretense to continue for a minute or two, but eventually he became frustrated, stalked to the cabinet where tea and coffee were kept and grabbed the correct container, shoving it into his teacher's hands.

"Play time is over, Rupert. I want answers now."

{Oh, God. He used my first name. He's deadly serious...}

"Alex.... I don't know what you want me to say...."

"Start by telling me why you lied."

"I didn't!"

"Yeah, you did. I had a right to know about this."

"I agree, but I thought I had aborted this monumental catastrophe before it could ever get started. When they called I told them not to...."

Giles suddenly halted mid-sentence, realizing the admission he'd just made. Flushing he turned away to begin making the tea again, but Alex grasped his arm and spun the other man back to face him.

"So you've been in contact with the Watchers. Another lie."

"No! I would never do that to you...."

"Lie of omission. Same result."

"You're royally pissed?"

"Got it in one. I trust you with my heart, my soul... with everything. You should have trusted me enough to tell me, damn it!"

"Hell... you're right, I admit that..... you see, all I could think about was the days and weeks after Buffy's Cruciamentum. You all flocked to comfort her, and that was only right. I betrayed her in the most fundamental way possible. But... it meant I was left virtually alone and none of you saw my devastation, my regret.... emotions I carry to this day. When I was informed that the Council was sending Watchers to Sunnydale, I feared you'd automatically assume *I'd* called *them*, and you'd be afraid to come near me.... afraid I'd poison you as I'd done to Buffy."

Alex's tense expression softened and the hand on Giles' arm loosened and slid up to touch his face.

"What? God, no.... sen-sei, I saw. Maybe I was the only one, but I saw. I watched you beat yourself half to death and do back-flips to regain Buffy's trust. I know you'd never make a mistake like that again. I forgive you. I'm still a little mad, though and we're not done talking about this. You could have told me about the Council and you should have trusted me with your feelings. I would've understood."

"I know. I.... I was so frightened of losing you and the fear muddled my thinking.... I was an idiot."

"Not the first time for either of us, won't be the last." Alex chuckled, dropping a light kiss on Giles' forehead. "Let's get this tea out to our guests and hear what they have to say. Maybe I'll get lucky and all they wanna tell me is I'll never be the Slayer for real. That I can handle. Old news."

"They'll want a good bit more than that, I'm afraid, but it shouldn't be half as nasty as I'm dreading. Hopefully, accommodating their presence will be mere inconvenience instead of an excuse to throw them into a vampire nest, bar the door from the outside and say good riddance...."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

"I hear whistling... and I smell Earl Grey. That has to be a good sign." Adam announced hopefully.

"For you, maybe. I could really use an ice-cold...."

Joe paused, a smile tugging at his lips when he saw Alex returning to the living room, followed by Giles with a heavily laden tray. The older man set his burden down on the coffee table and handed Dawson an open bottle and a tall, slim glass coated with a thin layer of ice.

"I do hope you were about to express a desire for a beer? I have several other cold drinks if you'd rather...."

"No. No a beer will be just fine. Thanks."

"No trouble. I'm very careful about alcohol these days, but the other members of the household enjoy an occasional beer, so we always keep one or two glasses in the freezer."

Joe absorbed Giles' seemingly casual statement about his drinking without comment. Once everyone had been served their beverage of choice and he and Giles had taken seats, Alex cleared his throat and spoke up.

"Gentlemen. I need to apologize. I made some nasty comments and unwarranted assumptions earlier without having facts to back them up. I'm sorry. To answer your question Mister Dawson, a few months back I legally changed my name to Alex Summers."

"Nice tribute to your friend." Joe said, sipping his drink. "Think you can live up to her rep as the Slayer?"

"Not a chance and I don't plan to try. She was born to do what she did. I wasn't."

"Why even bother taking over for her then?" Pierson asked. "Why not let the Watchers handle it by sending in the next girl in line?"

Alex smiled tightly.

"First off, the Council and me... not the best of buddies by a long-shot. Second, after we lost Buffy, the Watchers could have come in and blown up the town for all we were aware. We were too lost in our grief to know or care what they were doing. When I recovered enough to realize that what they were doing was pretty much nothing, I asked Giles to start training me. It turned out I had some ability, I picked up the slack the Council dropped. It's that simple."

"And when they decide it's time to reclaim their interest in Sunnydale?"

"Like I said, they had their chance. Sunnydale is under new management. It belongs to the ones who live in it and the ones that protect it and the Watchers Council doesn't fall into either category."

Impressed with the utter confidence Alex exuded, Pierson smiled and accepted his declaration without challenge.

"Hmm. Mind if I clear up a few misconceptions you seem to be harboring?"

"I'm listening."

"The Watcher's Council is actually made up of two halves and we're not from the half you're familiar with. They watch over Slayers and keep track of Demons. We deal with the other immortals. The human ones. Which reminds me; how long have you two been members of that fraternity?"

Startled and suddenly fearful, Giles shot a quick glance at Alex and found the same emotions written clearly on his student's face.

"I'm sure I don't know..."

"Relax, Mr. Giles." Joe soothed. "We're not out to hurt you or anyone you care for. We just need to know how this happened. Our side usually learns of new immortals within twenty-four hours, and yet there are three living here in this house that we were totally unaware of."

"Yes... you see, it didn't happen in the accepted manner, so I'm not surprised you lot weren't alerted."

"There's only one way it *can* happen."

"Apparently you've never had cause to deal with the Powers That Be, or you wouldn't say that about anything.... ever again." Giles retorted bitterly, his anger rising as the memories of what they'd been subjected to filled his head. Stunned, Pierson sat forward, his eyes open wide.

"Good Lord... you don't mean to say.... you've seen the oracles? Dealt with them directly?"

"Unfortunately, yes, but not by choice."

"And.... that was how the three of you became immortal?"

"Four." Alex corrected. "Cordy doesn't live here in town anymore. She came down to join the rest of us for the PTB's semi-annual clam bake and life shattering mind-fuck festival. Once we all stopped wanting to die she went back to L.A."

Turning to his partner, Joe began to massage his temples, as if he were developing a migraine.

"What'd I say? Pure hell...."

Sharp Curves.... 9

(I probably got the chem. reference wrong. I was going for hydrochloric acid, but.... Please don't yell.)

Once he'd reassured himself that Joe wasn't the one about to have a stroke, Adam turned back to the other two, smiling thinly. Before he could continue the conversation, Alex spoke up. Noting that the young man had relaxed a good deal, Adam was more than willing to let him.

"Knowing who *didn't* send you is worth a little piece of trust, I guess. What I've seen from our side of the Council hasn't exactly inspired confidence. Not being directly connected with that bunch of out-of-touch, know-it-all assholes means I'm willing to listen. You've got a limited amount of my attention. If you make me regret giving it to you, I won't be responsible for who gets thrown across the room and, subsequently, out the front door. Are we clear?"

"Perfectly.... Joseph, get a grip, would you? You're embarrassing me!" Pierson admonished his colleague, who had succumbed to a sudden fit of giggles on hearing Alex's description.

"Sorry, but.... ah, man! Know-it-all assholes.... it's like he's been sittin' in on the monthly meetings...."

"Joe, stop it right this minute! Please excuse my partner. He's easily amused."

"Obviously he's also had to sit in on too many official Council gatherings. Hell, even *one* would drive Carrie Nation straight into the nearest pub." Giles commented wryly, sending Joe into another fit of helpless laughter. Seeing Adam about to apologize a second time, Alex cut him off.

"Don't bother. A sense of humor isn't something I expect to see in a Watcher. Proving he has one is a point in Mister Dawson's favor."

"I hope we can garner a few more of those before we're done."

"I'm still sitting here and so are you. Talk."

"Firstly, let me say that when it comes to certain members on your side of our organization, I'm in complete agreement. I had to fight 'till my fingers were bloody, but they finally gave up the records of what happened at Miss Summers' Cruciamentum. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to fly into a rage or throw up. As far as I'm concerned the exercise is archaic, barbaric and unnecessary and Quentin Travers is arrogant, stupid, dangerous and a full fledged jackass."

"We're on the same page there. One more point for you. Can I assume that means whatever you were sent here to do, it isn't gonna be like before?"

"Not at all." Joe assured him. "You have to understand that you've pretty much become the Slayer for Sunnydale. That threw a lotta the Council mucky-mucks when they found out. They wanna know how good you are, what you can really do, what your situation is....."

"Situation. Meaning?" Alex cut in, suddenly tensing back up a little.

"Chill, kid. I just meant they want a report on where and how you live and work. That's all I was sayin'...."

"No that's not all, but don't worry, I pick up on subtext really well. Where I live and *who* I live with is none of their damned business and if you call me kid again you're going through a window head first."

"C'mon k... Alex. You were there through most of her so-called relationship with Angelus. It was an unqualified disaster when they jumped in bed and worse when they didn't. What makes either of you think shacking up with Spike will be any more of a success?"

Alex's anger went from simmer to near boil at this point, but neither of their guests were cognizant enough to see it. Giles, too, was becoming increasingly angry, but he held his indignance in check just enough to respond.

"His name.... is William... and if you'd bothered to ask instead of speaking from reputation and unfounded rumor, I'd have told you that he has become like Angel and that we are Khean 'nar Viroque. We are not "shacking up" as you so crudely put it.... and I will thank you not to mention our love in such a manner again."

"Love?! You think you're soul-mates with William the Bloody? You do know how close he and his.... bitch came to nearly destroying the Watchers and Slayers for good and all?"

"I'm fully aware of his past. It has no relevance to who he is now."

"Now or then makes no difference. He's a cold, calculating serial killer and you're obviously insane!"

Giles finally rose to his feet, his fury barely contained. Adam stood as well, training and instinct kicking in automatically to put him on a level field with a potential opponent.

"How dare you? You have no real idea.... *my* William saved my life by keeping me from perpetrating a tragically stupid act on myself and on those who cared for me! He is my lover and my soul-mate, *not* the man Angelus and Drusilla molded, and I *will* not stand for *anyone* saying such things about him in my presence!"

"Damn it, will you use the brain God gave you, man?! Spike never does anything without an agenda or an ulterior motive! He can't be trusted..."

Adam's tirade was abruptly cut off by a new voice breaking into the argument. While the two Watchers had been berating each other, Will had descended the stairs from the second floor and now stood on the bottom step, glaring at the man who had so enraged the love of his un-life.

"That so? An' who might you be, mate, the bloody king a'the universe? Know everything do ya?"

Pierson whirled toward the sound and in a flash of motion produced a sword seemingly from nowhere. Unruffled, but slightly wary, Will turned to speak to his lover. "Rupert, luv... who is this idiot, an' can I do somethin' about him?"

"You move from that spot, *mate*.... and they'll have to break out the dust-buster."

"He's from the council. Ignore him and come here, dearest."

"I'm not gettin' anywhere him an' his cheese knife."

"Cheese knife is it? Care to see me demonstrate how it makes nice even slices?"

Alex had finally reached breaking strain and he took control of the situation. He stood, faced Adam and spoke quietly, but with such a tone of command that Giles dropped back into his seat, though the words weren't addressed to him.

"Mr. Pierson. That's enough. Put your weapon away, sit down and shut up or this evaluation is ended and noone from either side of the Council will ever be welcome in my home again. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly." Adam intoned darkly as he concealed his sword again. He remained on his feet, however, staring intently at Spike. "We'll be back tomorrow morning to begin the evaluation, Mr. Giles. Despite your current opinion of me or the Council, I've been sent to fulfill an obligation and I intend to do just that. When you began training the boy without informing anyone, you had to know what you were letting yourself in for. Joe? We need to get to our hotel, but I need to make a stop at the garden store first... see if they have some nice, solid ash stakes for sale...."

Sparks leaping from his eyes, Alex responded to this veiled threat immediately, grasping both of Pierson's shoulders in his powerful hands and whipping the smaller man back into a face to face position, confronting him with a grim smile.

"Okay, you're just not getting the point, so I'll drive it home for you. I am not a boy, I'm a man; a man who, on top of being trained to fight by a master six hours a week, has also been working construction for a year and a half. Add to that one weekend a month of weapons training with Angel. We were talking about him earlier. You do remember Angel, right? Used to be Angelus? Lost the evil killer fetish, kept the attitude?"

Adam paled. Alex's grin got wider. "I see you do recall that part of our conversation. Good. Now... here's my last word on this subject, so you need to listen very carefully. If Rupert tells you to go back to the Washed up-Council and politely request that they go to hell, that's what you'll do. Whether or not you or anybody else gives a damn, I will continue to protect this town and I will *damn* sure protect the ones I love, so if I ever so much as see you run with *scissors* in Will's direction again, I will slowly and painfully remove a few sensitive parts of your body and kick your scrawny ass back to wherever it is you came from. Are we clear on that?"

Adam stepped back once and dropped onto the couch.

"Absolutely. Seems as though you've picked a good one, Mr. Giles."

"He chose me."

"Smart bo... pardon me, smart man. So. Do we continue this tomorrow morning, or do we deliver your protégé's message to the Council?"

"Ten a.m. if you want to speak to me. Alex won't be home until a little after five."

Adam opened his mouth to protest, but a look from Joe made him close it again. The older man then took the opportunity to turn a confrontation back into a conversation.

"Look, Alex... I'm sorry. This isn't the way we wanted things to go. My associate has a habit a'lettin' his brain run ahead of his mouth. He was wrong and you had a right to say everything you did. Truce?"

Reluctantly, Alex shook Joe's hand and returned to his chair. When the tension bubble finally broke, Will, who was still hanging back, cautiously made his way into the circle and perched on the arm of Rupert's chair, slipping his hand into the Watcher's for comforting caresses.

"Thanks." Joe acknowledged. "Look, if you think you can beg off work tomorrow, that's great, but if you can't, I understand. We'll work around your schedule."

"Forget it. I'm in charge of a whole crew and we've got a major project underway right now. It's important we stay on track."

"I see your point, but this is important too. You're acting as the Slayer, but you're not female, you weren't chosen and you report to a former Watcher who doesn't report to anybody. That adds up to a Watcher's Council with their shorts in a bunch, which could mean a lotta problems for you and the others. All we're asking is that you show us what you've got. If I'm as impressed as I expect to be, we'll go back to the higher-ups an' tell them everything here's in good hands an' they can quit worryin' their pointed heads about it."

"And how do you plan on answering their questions when they get personal?"

"I'll channel my inner mime. If you guys are happy, those pinheads have no business makin' a stink about it."

Alex reflected on Joe's words for almost a minute before responding.

"I'm not skipping work. Giles is the one who taught me what principles mean. If I just blow off a day's pay, I'm betraying everybody who lives in this house including myself. If you want, you're welcome to come and watch me train tonight and we'll talk after. Just leave him at the hotel." Alex acceded, nodding towards Pierson. "You can bring him with you tomorrow afternoon. I should be over wanting to dunk him in a vat of HCL by then."

Joe's eyebrow went up a bit at Alex's use of the chemical terminology. The younger man responded simply to the look. "I'm studying chemistry on my own time. It could help with spell-casting and killing certain demons."

"Spell-casting? Now I *know* you're pullin' my leg."

"You plan on interviewing my friends like last time?"

"Most likely."

"A word of advice: don't take that attitude with Willow and Tara. They get carried away showing off for disbelievers."

"Uh-huh...."

"No lie. The pet rat in her room? It used to be one of our classmates in high school. She was another witch who got caught in her own magical back-draft, if you know what I mean. Willow's almost to the point where she can turn her back into a human, but the spell's not ready yet. If you're lucky maybe she'll perfect it while you're here."

"Right. Okay.... I'll see you tonight." Joe chuckled uneasily, standing and dragging Adam up with him. "Where and when am I meeting you?"

"The Magic Box. That's Giles' store downtown. Be there a little before seven. The door'll be unlocked, training room is in the back. Oh, and try not to touch anything on your way through. You knock over the wrong bottle or brush by the wrong object.... wham, you're a gila monster or something. Willow, she's barely up to rats. Giant lizards might take her a few more years...."

"Good. Okay... see you both then." Joe agreed and swiftly tugged his partner out of the house before the evening could get any weirder. Once both were gone, Alex's housemates turned on him, scolding and smothering laughter at the same time.

"Alexander Summers. That wasn't at all polite."

"Yeah, Alex. No fair scarin' the poor Watcher into soilin' himself. Bad boy."

"Never would have been necessary if Pierson had kept his sword where it belonged and a civil tongue in his head." Alex explained, accepting a warm embrace from Will as the vamp slid onto his lap.

"I'm okay, sweet. Not a scratch."

"I know. Lucky for him."

"No, lucky for me. You can't just play pretend an' wish my past away, Alex. I was playin' a wicked, nasty game back in the forties.... 'tween Dru an' I we came close to pullin' down the Watchers. Lotta innocents died for nothin'. Things might be so different now if..."

"If what?"

"Nah. Don't like to think about that time. Makes me sick, to tell ya the truth. What I was tryin to get across was that I love you defendin' me an' I'll never stop you doin' it, long as you keep in mind who it is you're standin' up for. I weren't always a saint, baby boy. Nowhere near."

Alex, suddenly looking wrung out, gazed at Will and grinned.

"I know. I was defending who you are right now.... the man you're trying to be. I was defending Will, the man I love, but I haven't forgotten Spike. Like you said, I just don't like thinking about him. I'd rather focus on today. Will... I know you had plans tonight, but.... can you stay here for a while? I like this.... just holding you, being close."

Will grinned at Giles.

"Got ourselves a puzzle here, Rupe. He's Atilla the Hun one minute, cuddle-puppy the next. What're we gonna do with this little brainteaser, hmmm?"

"I don't know...." Rupert mused, a loving smile gracing his features as he rose to head down and finish dinner. "Spend the rest of our immortal lives sorting him out?" he suggested, gently ruffling Alex's hair.

"Yeah." Will agreed happily. "That oughta do just fine...."

Sharp Curves 10

THE MAGIC BOX : 8:45 THAT NIGHT

"He's been doin' this for how long? I mean... I've got notes, but they have to be completely off."

The young brunette seated beside Joe Dawson tossed a shy smile up at him and tucked her hair behind her ear as she responded.

"He's been training since... July, I think. So that makes it sixteen.... no seventeen weeks."

"You mean months, right? You've gotta mean months." Joe said, watching Alex with increasing amazement.

"Weeks." the teenager insisted. "He only started after my sister died."

Joe grimaced over bringing up a painful memory unintentionally then refocused on the new routine Giles was leading Alex through.

"Seventeen weeks? But... he's incredible. He said he had *some* ability. I never expected this...."

"Alex is cool like that. He doesn't waste time telling you what he can do. He just does it."

"Obviously."

"He's like... the world's greatest big brother, you know? He's so much better than the other adults in my life. At least Alex treats me like I have a working brain. He knows I understand way more than everybody thinks I do."

"How did the others react when he started training, leading patrols.... kinda taking over for your sister?"

"Everybody was great with it. Mostly...."

"Who was the hold out?"

"Anya."

"That's his fiancée, right?"

"Ex. It didn't work out."

"She's still ticked off?"

"Totally. If it were me who'd broken up with somebody who used to be a vengeance demon, I'd be in, like, Alaska or something by now, but Alex isn't scared."

"Demon? You're not serious..."

Her face becoming animated as she warmed to a good gossip session, Dawn turned to face Joe and began dishing in earnest.

"Former. She's been out of the business for a while but she's so mad she's trying to get back in. Willow and Tara are good at calming her down, but last night, Anya started yelling that she was gonna trash Alex like he trashed their engagement and her life, and it took almost two hours before they thought it was safe to let her out of the handcuffs and shackles..."

"Dawn."

Engrossed in the spilling of what, to a fifteen year old, was very juicy news, Dawn had not heard Alex walk up behind her. Blushing, she turned and looked up at him. "I thought we talked about this last week."

"I know but...."

"Gossiping is the same as trash talking someone behind their back...." he paused deliberately, waiting for her to finish.

"... and if I don't quit I'll get a reputation, noone will ever invite me to a party and I'll spend my life alone and friendless living in a cave on the edge of town." Dawn groaned, rolling her eyes for emphasis.

"Alone, friendless and smelly. Don't forget smelly." he corrected, laughing as he ruffled her hair. "You gotta cool it with the nasty chat, Dawnie. Trust me, ' Large Mouth Bass' is not a nick- name you want following you to college. Go on out front, okay? Will should be here soon to take you home."

"On the bike?" she asked excitedly.

"That's what he was planning."

Dawn squealed, leapt up and ran out to the front of the shop to wait for her ride. Alex dropped into the chair she'd vacated, mopping his sticky, heated face with a ragged chunk of what had once been a much larger towel before it had been banished from the house and cut up for use in the training room. After cleaning and replacing the equipment they'd used, Giles joined the other two men, bringing a third chair for himself and placing it close to Alex.

"So." Rupert began. "Are you willing to share your impressions, Mister Dawson?"

"Please. I feel old enough without the formal title. It's Joe. Yeah, absolutely I'll share. To tell the truth.... I'm blown away. You fibbed to me this afternoon, Alex."

"I did? When?" Alex replied, tossing down his towel and pushing up out of his slumped position. He moved easily, but a slight tension was evident in his muscles and in his expression.

"You said when you first started training you realized you had 'some ability'. I think those were your exact words. What I saw tonight wasn't a young man with 'some ability. You're a freakin' natural. If your performance in the field is even half of what you showed me here tonight, I'll not only recommend your appointment, I'll stand up and sing your praises in the middle of a damn Council session!"

"Appointment? As what?"

"Slayer."

"I already am."

"Un-officially. Don't you get what's happening? You have a chance to make history. Hell, you've got a chance to *become* history! Hundreds of years of tradition.... dust in the wind. The only Slayer ever to choose the job instead of being chosen. The only male Slayer ever. My God, there'll be no rules for you. You could demand to be paid an' they'd have no basis to refuse. You could have the Council you hate so much begging at your feet. "

Alex's spine straightened abruptly. After a minute or so of glaring at the floor, he rose, turned and faced Joe and Rupert.

"I don't *do* it for money and I don't give a damn about embarrassing the Council. I took over the job because it needed to done and I did it to honor Buffy's sacrifice, which, by the way, she might not have had to make if the idiot Watchers had stepped up the minute they realized what we were all facing. Instead they hung back and kept their mouths shut. Even when they finally *did* pull their heads out of the sand or their asses or wherever they keep them, they wasted precious time looking down their noses at Buffy's friends and finding out that she didn't speak Japanese. It was their fault she died, so you'll excuse me if I hawk a gigantic loogey and spit it all over history and the Watchers."

On that dramatic note, Alex stalked off towards the showers. Joe, his jaw scraping the ground, took a minute to recover then glanced at Giles and finally spoke.

"Can't say anything right with him can we?"

"That's not it at all. For approximately a month after Buffy's death, Alex was the only support William and Dawn had. Now he's being forced to deal with a very personal and painful trauma. He's had very little time or opportunity to fully grieve. He's working through that process now and I'm afraid you and your companion make brightly colored, very convenient targets for his expression of the first stage."

"Anger."

"That easy to see was it?" Giles snarked faintly. He was finding he liked Joe Dawson and wasn't eager to antagonize him, but he wanted to be sure the man understood that Alex wasn't the only one feeling animosity toward the Watcher's Council.

"Like a lighthouse on a clear night. You know, they sent us the file on his family, his schooling..... the paper and the reality just don't add up."

"And they won't. Alex has placed his genetic donors far behind him, with more than sufficient reason. As for school, when one is provided no real purpose for learning and almost nothing of any interest to study, school becomes merely a place to waste one's day."

"Genetic donors." Joe snorted softly, turning pages in his notes. "Between the alcoholism and the physical and emotional abuse, that sounds about right. I disagree about his education, though." He said, doodling idly in the margin of one sheet while his mind began to shift into high gear. "The Council didn't give us much info on Sunnydale, but what I did read.... it told me this town is one huge distraction. Maybe without that, he would've been able to figure out what he really liked... what he wanted. Alex is smart enough that he could have gotten into any college he applied to. He still could...."

"What are you proposing?"

"Not sure yet. I just put the seed in the dirt. Gotta give it a little time, some water... and eight hours of sleep. I'm gonna head back to my hotel. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon, Mister Giles."

"Alex will be out in just a moment...."

"I know. That's why I'm goin' now. He'll sleep better if he doesn't have to see me again. Night." Joe offered, strolling out into the shop. Giles heard the bell jingle quietly just before Alex emerged from the shower area, his expression anxious and mildly contrite. When he didn't see Dawson, he looked to Giles.

"He's gone back to his hotel room."

"Damn.... I wanted... I need to say something to him. I was an ass...."

"Not at all. He simply wanted to ease the strain. It was the right thing to do."

Head drooping, Alex plopped into a chair and ran a hand through his dark locks.

"This isn't me, sen-sei. Telling strangers where to get off.... making threats....."

"I'll present you the same hypothesis I gave Joe earlier. What you do with it is up to you of course...."

"Go ahead."

"You've been a powerful support system for the rest of us for months. Now that you're finding the time and freedom to seek support for yourself, you're at last beginning to grieve Buffy's loss.... and your own loss of innocence. You do know the seven stages, I assume?"

"Yeah.... the first one's anger. So that's why I'm turning into the Incredible Sunnydale Hulk."

"Precisely. You'll move past it, I promise."

"Yeah, and on to fun stuff like denial and bargaining."

"But acceptance waits at the end. Acceptance and peace."

"Peace.... that sounds so good. Is that where you and Will are? You must be, the way you both are helping me through this thing with my dad."

"I haven't given it much thought. Perhaps.... it's something to discuss in the circle."

"No chance I can skip all the hard stuff and go straight to acceptance, is there?"

Giles laughed gently and pulled Alex to him as they both rose to their feet.

"If only there were, dear boy. No being strong tonight, hmmm? Come and be with Will and I. Just to sleep... let us give you the rest and comfort and warmth and love you so deserve...."

"That sounds really good too...." Alex murmured into Giles shoulder.

THURSDAY MORNING

"You come to me in grace,
Steps slow and measured,
Body flowing like the spill of shallow water over smooth stones.
Your movements are designed to pacify and gentle me;
In drawing near to me, indeed you ease my mind and soul.

You come to me in beauty,
Skin softer than silk,
Voice like strong, warm tea laced with whiskey and honey.
Your eyes are the most perfect shade I've ever known;
Grey of an ocean in storm surge, blue of the Caribbean sky

You come to me in power,
Aura that pulses, calls my name,
Strength that I feed on, drawing inside me all of it I can take.
Your energy uplifts and sustains my life, now and forever;
Grant me only this and I will drink until I drown.

You are the potency of spirit that resurrects me.
You are the deluge of passion that overwhelms me.
You are mine and I am yours.
Together we are love."

For several seconds, it was all Michael could do to breathe, never mind continue speaking. The impact of the words on the paper in his hand was far stronger than he'd been expecting.

"Well? Say what ya think, would ya? I'm gettin' nervous.... an' I hit things when I'm nervous."
"Oh, yes! I'm sorry. It's just so..."

"Insipid? Moronic? What? C'mon, will you say somethin'? God's sake, I'm gonna slit my wrists in a minute...."

"No... dear Lord, no. I truly am sorry. This.... I simply don't know what to say. How anyone could ever have labeled you a bad poet is far beyond me. Beautifully done, Will."

"Yeah, well...." Will said, lowering his eyes slightly. "had a hundred an' somethin' years to practice haven't I? Big question is.... will *he* like it? He reads Keats, Shakespeare, all those. Knows what he's lookin' at...."

"You wrote this out of your love for Rupert. Trust me, no other poem in the world could compare."

"Yeah, but...."

"But nothing. He'll adore it. You won't make it out of bed for a solid week."

"You think?" Will asked, finally producing a hint of a smile.

"I'm positive. When did you plan to give it to him?"

"Was gonna read it in group Monday."

"Will.... how utterly brave. Wait... was? Have you changed your mind?"

"Don't know if I can manage it. If he don't react well...."

"He loves you."

Will waited for Michael to say something more, but the other man remained silent.

"That all?"

"What more needs to be said?"

"Nothin'... I guess. Listen, I'm gonna make a call to Peaches. I know you ain't ready to talk to him yet, so you might wanna... be elsewhere. That way I ain't really lyin' when I tell him you ain't around, right?" Will explained with a tight smile.

"Of course." Michael agreed, rising to go out and take some sun in the backyard. "Um.... Will?"

"Yeah."

"If he does ask after me, please tell him.... tell him I'm doing very well and I'm nearly settled in. I'll call him soon."

"Right. I can do that."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

"No problem. Hell, if anyone knows what he's like when he goes all barnacle, it's me. He didn't make it easy for ya to leave an' move down here, did he?" Will inquired gently.

"No, but I didn't really give him any warning that I was going. I cheated him of his adjustment time."

"Years wouldn't a'been long enough, Mikey. Just how he is. When he was first turned, he destroyed all the family he had. Now when he gets somethin'.... or somebody, he sticks like super-glue. Ya get used to it."

"Yes. Well... I'll leave you to your phone call. I'll be back in an hour or so. Shall I make lunch?"

"That'd be fine. After we eat, I'll give ya another massage an' you can get some more sleep, hmmm?"

"It's tempting, but I should be doing something more than sleeping. I don't want to get accustomed to laziness." Michael laughed.

"Ya said you'd make lunch. That's a contribution, ain't it?"

"Hmm. I suppose so. Alright. A nap it is... if you'll join me?" Michael added suddenly, feeling a new boldness rear its head and deciding to delay the question of whether it was a good thing.

"Could do. Go on. Lemme get this call over with."

Michael smiled and moved down the steps into the kitchen as Will was lifting the receiver and dialing.

"Wyndham-Angel investigations. Can I help you?"

"Always, luv."

"Spike! Hi! Good to hear from you."

"You too, Cordy. The boss man around?"

"Yeah, sure. Hang on a minute."

"Hello, Spike."

"Grand-sire."

"Uh-oh. Official family business is never good news. What is it?"

"Nothin' like what you're thinkin'. I just.... need to talk. Has to do with me an' Rupert.... me an' you as well."

"Dredging up the past never does anybody any good, Spike....."

"It will for me, alright? I gotta tell you somethin'.... I don't expect nothin' outta you in return, understand. Just gotta... get it off my chest, yeah?"

"Something. Like what?"

"Not on the phone. Meet me tonight.... somewhere half-way 'tween here an' L.A."

Angel paused for a long time, considering and rejecting myriad possibilities for what Spike might want to hash out. Finally he decided it couldn't hurt to spend a few hours letting his newly souled Grand-childe vent.

"You remember Lake Elsinore?"

"Course. About nine?"

"I'll be there."

"Angel... thanks. This'll help.... a lot."

"I hope so. See you then. Spike.... is he alright?"

'Who're we talkin' about?"

"I'm not in the mood for games."

"Are you ever? He says to tell ya he's doin' real good, he's just about settled in an' he'll call you in a bit. Prob'ly in a day or two, I'd wager."

"Is he really? Doing well, I mean."

"Yeah. We're takin' good care of him. I've been givin' him my special neck rubs. Every day he relaxes a little more. Mikey'll be lookin' downright peaceful in another week."

"Uh-huh. That's.... great."

"What, you wanted to hear he's slumpin' around cryin' over you an' your crew in the city?"

"Of course not."

"Yeah you did, but I get why. We'll talk about it when I see you, maybe."

"Maybe. Good-bye, Spike."

"Bye, Gran-dad."

"Don't call me that."

Spike laughed and hung up.

TARA AND WILLOW'S DORM ROOM:
A FEW MINUTES LATER

"So you both really enjoy your classes here?" Joe asked, furiously scribbling notes on a pad and ignoring the confused looks Adam was shooting him.

"Yes. They're fun and... interesting. It's been a really wonderful experience." Tara affirmed.

"And the tuition is reasonable?"

"As much as any other school.... um, weren't we talking about Alex?" Willow ventured.

"Oh... right. Sorry. I got off track. I just have one or two more questions. How do you feel about Alex leading patrols? Honestly, now. Miss McClay?"

"I was happy for him. Noone ever really took him seriously.... especially not Alex himself. I could tell there was... more to him. He just needed someone to help him see it and... and learn how to use it."

"So you don't have any reservations about his relationship with Rupert Giles and Sp... I mean William?"

"Not anymore." Willow responded guiltily. "At first I was scared and worried, but when I saw how happy he is... and how strong being there has made him, I turned into full-support girl."

"You trust him, then."

"With my life. Always have, always will."

"And you?" Joe asked, turning back to Tara.

"He's saved my life.... saved all our lives so many times. Of course I trust him."

"Well... thank you for your time ladies. We appreciate you being willing to talk to us."

"Hey, I trust Giles, too." Willow replied with a wicked smile. "It was his word that got you in the door."

Adam laughed nervously.

"And he said... what exactly?"

"That you weren't complete jerks like the other Watchers. Just a little rude.... and insensitive."

Tara leaned in and whispered in Willow's ear, then giggled. Willow laughed in response and blushed.

"What?"

"Nothing, really. Just typical Will. You must've pissed him off something major. You tell them, baby. I couldn't do it without cracking up...."

"Well.... Will just said that one of you obviously had PMS... and we should break out the Midol... just in case you were still having.... mood swings."

"Uh-hmm. Is that what he said...." Adam responded, his eyes narrowing and his back suddenly stiffening. Joe took the cue and intervened.

"Okay, let's go. Thank you again, ladies."

Joe dragged his furious partner out into the hall, leaving a pair of whispering, chuckling witches behind. "How many more times am I gonna have to pull your bacon outta the fire, my man? Not that I believe in the witch thing, but a ticked off woman is still nothing to mess with...."

Joe's tirade was interrupted by Tara's reappearance at the door.

"Mister Dawson? I wanted to give you something.... for being so nice. Hold out your hands."

Joe complied and was bewildered and slightly amused when Tara pressed a magazine picture of a rose bud into his palms.

"Uhh... thanks."

"Wait. I'm not done."

Placing her hands over his, the bashful blonde murmured a few words, then pulled back. Joe was stunned to see the image had become real. He held an actual flower, wet with actual drops of moisture. Tara smiled, turned and re-entered the room, closing the door quietly behind her. Adam reached out and cautiously stroked a finger over the petals.

"It's real. Dear God... I haven't seen anyone perform genuine magic in centuries.... but she did it."

"Genuine... you don't mean.... you can't...."

"Later, Joseph. When all this is finally over and done, I'll sit you down and tell you some stories I guaran*tee* don't appear in any Watcher's journal anywhere....."

LATE THAT
AFTERNOON:

When Adam and Joe arrived at the house for their initial interview with Alex, they found another surprise or two waiting for them. The resident that opened the door wasn't any of the faces they expected to see, but Joe, at least, was pleasantly amazed to see an old friend.

"Wes? Wesley?! Damn, is it good to see you!" Joe shouted as he grasped the former watcher's hand.

"Joseph. Do come in." Michael replied coolly.

"Oh dear. Someone's been telling tales." Adam commented dryly as he entered behind Joe.

"Did you expect I *wouldn't* hear of your abominable behavior yesterday? It's utterly inexcusable for a veteran Watcher to lose his temper and abandon his objectivity in such a manner."

"He's under nobody's control, Wes, not the Council's and especially not mine. What are you doin' here, anyway.... oh. Oh shit."

Revelation striking suddenly, Joe turned to his companion. "You said there was one more newbie in the house. You can't mean...."

"I'm afraid so. Wesley is the other new immortal I sensed."

"Wes... what's goin' on here? Last I heard you'd hooked up with Angel's crew in L.A."

"I had, but the Powers That Be gave some of us a rather... rough ride through the looking glass a few months ago, myself included. I needed a change of scene." Michael explained as they all took seats. "I'm living here at the moment. I'm also going by my true name; Michael. I'd prefer that you use it. No nicknames or diminutives please."

"True name? What true name?" Joe questioned. "I've known you since you started training...."

"Joseph, please. We'll catch up later, alright? For the moment, it's imperative that we set a few ground rules for your being here today."

"Is it?"

"Unfortunately, yes. We all understand the necessity of this interview with Rupert and Alex, but if Methos is unable to be civil and conduct himself in an appropriate manner, you'll both have to leave. Understood?"

Adam's eyes widened and he sat forward abruptly.

"How do you... where did you pull that name from?"

"The Horseman have long been an obsession of mine. I possess a good mind for faces and I knew I'd seen yours somewhere. Being an inveterate researcher, I worked on the puzzle over several years. I was at a complete loss until one day I caught a glimpse of you at a joint summit of both sides of the Council. It all... fell into place. I've never spoken of my discovery to anyone and I won't. You have my vow."

"Hmm. But..."

"Another time, okay?" Joe interjected. "Any other rules, W... Michael?"

"Only one. Try to stick to the subject at hand and avoid insults and threats of bodily harm. Any such tangential slips will result in being summarily ejected. Agreed?"

"Agreed. So... Alex is running late?" Joe asked, sliding his hand unobtrusively over to Adam's elbow and squeezing gently as a signal that he needed to relax. The smaller man shot an irritated glance at his friend, but he did respond, sitting back and deliberately slowing his breathing.

"Just a bit. He should be here any moment." Rupert announced, moving up the stairs from the kitchen with a dish towel, briskly drying his hands.

"Rupert." Michael greeted his housemate joyfully, standing and moving to his side. "If you don't mind, I think this might be an opportune time for Will and I to make our escape."

"Escape?"

"Yes, I promised him a chance to drive my bike and he offered to treat me to a night at the Bronze in return. I'm quite looking forward to it."

"So you should. You never got much chance to go when you were here last."

"Wouldn't have gone if I could. In case you're forgetting, my middle name in the late nineties was "large stick up his ass and proud of it." I wouldn't have appreciated the Bronze back then."

"Perhaps not. Well, have a marvelous time and see that my soul-mate gets home at a reasonable hour." Giles told him, pressing his lips to Michael's briefly.

"As designated driver, that's part of my job description." Michael replied lightly. "Will? Time to go!"

As Will emerged from the partitioned off TV area in the front corner of the living room, Joe squeezed Adam's elbow once more in warning. The other tensed, but made no overt moves and kept any comments to himself.

"Now? BBC America's got a smashin' history program on. Can it wait, like, half an hour.... oh. I see." He said, on seeing the Watchers. "Second thought, you're right. Let's go give that lovely machine a'yours a good run, eh?"

"Excellent idea."

As Will and Michael were leaving, Alex finally arrived home. The trio exchanged swift pecks and embraces as they passed, but Rupert was treated to a much more in-depth and enthusiastic reception. It ended only when Giles whispered in Alex's ear that the Watchers were doing just that.

"Pardon. It's been a really long day." He commented tiredly, shifting the plastic grocery bags in his hands so that the weight was more evenly distributed.

"So you two are..." Joe asked, hesitating to say the word.

"Lovers? Occasionally."

"But yesterday... the way he stood up for the vampire..."

"You don't live here, so I don't expect you to understand. What Rupert and I are to each other depends on the situation. In the training room or in the field, we're teacher and student. Here at home we're father and son, best friends and, yeah, we've been lovers once or twice. I've made love to Will, he's made love to Michael.... the relationship the four of us have is complex, but we're happy and noone has the right to judge us. Especially you."

"Got it. Subject closed."

"Good. Hope you two don't mind conducting this interview over dinner."

"No. Not at all." Adam replied.

"What's on the menu?"

"Home-made Mexican. Enchiladas, tamales and my famous "keep the fire extinguisher handy" spicy rice."

"Sounds fantastic."

"It should be ready around six-thirty. Can you keep these two busy, sen-sei?" Alex requested, giving Giles another lingering kiss that had the older man sighing with quiet joy.

"If it means one of your exquisite meals... of course I can."

"Great. I missed you today. Lots. Thanks again for last night. It was just what I needed."

"Us as well, sweetheart. Go get cooking."

"Right." Alex replied, heading down into the kitchen. The others settled in the living room to the faint accompaniment of pots clanking and water running.

"His food's good?"

"Oh, yes. A miracle considering his background. Once he moved in with us, Alex felt free enough to experiment with cooking and he's discovered quite a talent for international cuisine."

"He does more than Mexican?"

"Good Lord, yes. His sushi is amazing and his baklava... not to be missed. I personally think his real gift lies in French cuisine."

Joe chuckled.

"Is there anything that young man *can't* do?"

"As far as we've been able to determine.... only what he hasn't yet tried."

"Has he been tested?" Adam asked, his expression full of curiosity. Giles, however, interpreted the inquiry as a reference to the Cruciamentum and he had to suppress a rill of fear that gripped his heart.

"I thought I made my views on that clear. He won't be subjected to...."

"I'm so sorry. I should have been more precise. I meant to ask if his IQ score is known."

"Oh... of course. I-I apologize as well." Rupert said, visibly relaxing. "Since Buffy's ordeal, the mere word 'test' spoken by another Watcher causes an... unpleasant reaction. IQ.... well, I suppose he must have done in school, but I'd have no way of knowing the result."

"I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's over 150. He's adaptable, he learns quickly, retains information well.... You wouldn't mind us asking him about it over dinner, would you?"

Giles drew a deep breath before he responded. His voice was soft, but such strength underlay his words that both of the others could almost feel it physically.

"I'd rather you ask him about that than continue to question him about our relationship. He's found his feet here.... and he's found a true home. If either of you make him doubt that and that doubt causes him pain.... let's just say that there's a much less civilized side to my personality. I keep him in trim and I won't hesitate to call on his skills."

Joe paled slightly, knowing exactly what Rupert was talking about. Adam threw him a probing look.

"I'll explain back at the hotel, okay? For now... just don't ask."

THE BRONZE

As he slipped off the motorcycle and watched Will hitch himself forward, settling into the operator's position, Michael frowned slightly. Always observant, the vamp picked up on the other man's mood.

"You're sure you don't mind doin' this for me, Mikey? I never woulda asked, but with my bike in for repairs..."

"Of course I don't mind. I dislike lying to Alex and Rupert, but that won't stop me from doing you a kindness."

"You didn't lie, son. You're at the Bronze, ain't ya?"

"Yes, but without you as chaperone." Michael responded, grinning.

"You're a lot stronger than when you came to us, Mikey. I think I can trust ya to look after yourself." Will reassured him, smiling tensely as he readied the bike for take off once again. His expression darkened just a bit as he glanced at his housemate. "Thanks again for the loan. I swear I won't tell him nothin' about you..."

"I know." Michael replied softly, shocked at his own courage when he leaned over and dropped a soft kiss on Will's temple. "Just do me one favor?"

"Yeah?" the vamp prompted, sliding on the helmet Michael handed him.

"Count to ten before you punch him?"

Will produced a short laugh and a genuine smile.

"Don't think there'll be much fisticuffs, but with Peaches.... you never know how irritatin' he's gonna be 'till you start talkin' to him. By then..."

"It's too late. I understand. Please..."

"I promise, Mikey. I'll hold my temper 'till my fingers are numb. If he comes away from our little meetin' tonight with bruises, they won't be my doin'."

"Thank you."

"Qualche cosa per voi, quello il più dolce." (Anything for you, sweetest one.)

Will murmured the gentle, lilting words close to Michael's ear then picked up his feet and maneuvered the grumbling machine back onto the road. The younger man was left behind and left with his stunned thoughts.

{Italian.... dear God, if he had the slightest clue what he just did to me... come to think of it, he probably does. Lord, the man's more dangerous with a soul than he was without one...}

Michael blushed furiously as he watched the taillights on his bike disappear in the twilight. He remained outside for a few minutes, letting the night air cool his heated face and his sudden arousal, before venturing inside the club.

1 HOUR LATER: LAKE ELSINORE

"Spike."

"Grand-sire."

"Oh, God. Twice in one night.... did you stake her or is she still alive somewhere?"

"Who?"

"Drusilla."

"Didn't do nothin' to her. Haven't even seen her. Last I heard she was still down in South America.... round the Cape, was the rumor I picked up on."

"Then... what's this all about? Only family business could ever make you call me by my title."

" 'Tis about family. Not you and the girls, mind, but... my new one. I... I need to... damn. You know what I'm askin', Peaches. Will ya do it for me?"

Angel suddenly felt nausea swirl in his stomach as he realized what Will was requesting.

"Spike... what you want... you do know it hasn't been performed by or on a member of the House of Aurelius in nearly a millennium?"

"I know."

"I... don't know if..."

"You know how it's done, don't ya?"

"Yes, of course. It's just.... this is a really radical step, Spike...."

"Will."

"What?"

"My name. It's Will. If I'm gonna do this.... make a fresh start and choose my own road this time, I'm gonna give it all up. I don't wanna be Spike anymore, anyway. Name's got too much... bad blood draggin' behind it, so to speak."

"Bad pun."

Both men smiled tensely, then turned their attention back to their shoes. "Okay. Will it is. The ceremony won't make you mortal again and it won't erase your memory. Tell me you understand that."

"Hell..... Don't you get it, Peaches? When you left Sunnydale.... you got your new family an' your second chance. All I'm askin' for is mine. I've been doin' a lotta good lately. I deserve this. Need it..."

"Is there a cemetery near here?"

"Passed one about a mile back."

"You checked it out?"

"Freshly filled in gravesite a couple hundred yards in."

"One that fits the requirements?"

"Far as I could tell. I didn't dig her up or nothin, fer Lord's sake. Gimme a little credit...."

"As little as possible." Angel joked, mussing Spike's soft curls. As he pulled away, he noticed something strange that he never thought he'd see. "Oh my God. You're letting the color come back. The bleach job is growing out."

Will pulled away defensively.

"Yeah, so? Soulmate said the other night he wondered what color I was born with. Decided to show him."

"Making major changes on a partner's slightest whim.... God, you are in love, aren't you?"

"After you... never thought I'd ever be able to say the words again, but.... I am. I'm in love. More than love. We got this.... connection that's like nothin' I've ever known. Can't do without it."

"Sounds... amazing." Angel replied, unable to keep the barest touch of jealousy from coloring his words. Will picked up on the trace and tried to explain, but words failed him in the end.

"C'mon now, man. It isn't what we had, okay, but ya gotta admit we were intense for a whole different reason, yeah? Neither of us got sired 'cause we wanted to.... it made for some major brat an' grand-sire tension, didn't it? I mean.... Rupe an' me.... we came together outta grief at first, but then we realized we fit so perfect.... like... like a broken piece a'china that finally finds the cup it belongs to, ya know? God, I don't know how to.... Dru picked me, Angel. Rupert an' I chose each other.... we were meant to be.... the bloody oracles even said so...."

"Will.... Will, stop... please. It's okay. Yeah, I'm a little jealous of the love you've found, and... I'm sure, in a few days, when what we're about to do really hits me, I'll grieve, but.... I can handle it. You'll always be my grand-childe. I want you to be happy. Let's get going, okay? I'll follow you."

Will choked back the emotion Angel's unanticipated confession had evoked in him, nodded and climbed back on the bike, leading the way back out to the road.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Kneeling on either side of the new grave Will had found, the two men found themselves unable to look at each other. Both sets of eyes remained on the freshly turned earth before them as their thoughts raced.

"Huh."

"What?" Will asked, hoping the answer would be something designed to relieve the taut atmosphere that surrounded him and his soon to be former grand-sire.

"I was just wondering why I always breathe faster at moments like this. Why do I forget I don't have to breathe at all?"

"Don't know. That's one a'them.... existential questions no vamp or Watcher'll ever figure out, I guess."

"That's because most vampires are too busy killing and most Watchers are too busy training. Hang on.... since when do you know how to *pronounce* existential, never mind use it correctly?" Angel asked curiously, his eyes finally lifting to meet Will's.

"Kirkegard, a'course."

"Kirkegard?! You read Kirkegard?!"

"Yeah, an' why not? I don't get everything he's sayin' yet, but I'm workin' on it. You tryin' to say I shouldn't improve myself, eh? Is that it?" Will responded hotly, his defensive mask swiftly falling into place again.

"No, no! I didn't mean.... give me time to adjust to the changes, Will. I'll catch up eventually. I keep seeing the Will I knew... a sweet, vulnerable young boy who hid his best qualities behind the violence and rage and lust he thought was expected of him. I... I'm not used to the man you're becoming now that...."

"That what?" Will replied, much more calmly and gently. "Now that I got someone who treats me kind; who loves me and don't show it with bloodlettin' an' a nice rape once in a while? Get over it, man. You were what you were, Peaches. So was I, so was Dru an' so was Darla. We did what we did. Can't change it now. Nothin' left to do but... move on, right?"

"Kirkegard?"

"Nah. I think Batman said it on a cartoon..... maybe it was Superman. Always liked him. Nauseatin' color scheme he picked, though. I woulda gone with white an' gold.... or gray and blue, somethin' classic like that."

Angel chuckled quietly, glad the ice was finally broken, but sobered instantly when his gaze fell on the wickedly sharp knife lying on the damp soil between them. Trembling just the slightest bit, he picked it up, glanced at Will and spoke.

"Well... let's do this and get you home, huh?"

"Yeah. Angel... thanks."

The older vamp grinned tightly, but did not respond other than to draw the blade firmly across his palm and begin the spell.

"I, Angelus, son of Aurelius, offer here my blood. With it I open the gates of my House; let this sacrifice act as my invitation and my call."

Angel handed the knife to Will, who also made a similar cut and held his hand above the grave, allowing the dark fluid to drip down and soak into the soil.

"I, William the Bloody, son of Aurelius, offer here my blood, that I may enter through the open gates; let this sacrifice act as my invitation and my call."

"A childe of my lineage wishes to be released from his obligation; let my blood act as a sign of my acceptance."

"I , the childe, demand this release; let my blood act as the blade that severs my bond to my former house."

"What once was mingled, now let it be separated."

"What once was forged, now let it be broken."

Moments later, a high pitched screech and a powerful wind erupted from the space between the two vampires. Both were knocked backwards by the force of the concluding spell. Angel was the first to regain his composure.

"Did... did it work?"

"How the bleedin' hell am I supposed to know?"

"For one thing... my mark should be gone."

Will felt for the familiar deformity, but it had vanished.

"Yeah... yeah it's gone."

"Well, then.... you're free." Angel said, rising to his feet and holding out a hand to Will. The other accepted it and was tugged into a standing position.

"Don't feel free. Feel... empty. Like somebody scooped out my insides."

"You'll get used to it. Once you're home, with Rupert and the others, it'll be better."

"Yeah. Hope so, 'cause this feels like Grade A shit." Will replied, climbing back on the bike. "Hey... you say hi to Cordy for me. Tell her the rest a'the immortal goon squad misses her."

"I will. Good-night, William."

"Night, gran.... Night, Angel."

THE BRONZE: ONE HOUR LATER:

"Hullo, Will." Michael said, greeting his friend with a warm embrace and a gentle smile. After a minute, he pulled back to appraise Will's condition. "I don't see any bruises or serious wounds. I take it everything went well?"

"Better than I was hopin' for. We was actually civil to each other. More than that... it was good. A bit edgy, yeah.... but good. Maybe someday..."

"Yes. Perhaps. What you wanted to ask him... did he agree?"

"Yeah. It's done."

"And you're still not ready to say exactly *what* got accomplished?"

"Not yet. It needs to... sink in, like. One a'these days I'll let the cat outta the bag in group, but not now."

"I understand. Ready to head for home?"

"Nah. You mind if we just cruise for a while? I need to unwind a bit."

"Of course not. Do you want to keep control?"

"Yeah, if you ain't opposed to ridin' back there."

Slipping his helmet back on, Michael grinned, climbed onto the bike behind Will and shyly settled his hands around the vamp's waist, locking his fingers together.

"Not at all. In fact, I think I could easily learn to like this position."

Realizing his unintentional double-entendre, Michael blushed furiously. Will laughed wildly, twisted around and kissed the younger man quickly.

"We'll see, Mikey. You need a spot more time to relax an' adjust."

"Really, I'm fully comfortable in the house now..."

"Know you are. Just don't want you rushin' into things. Let it happen natural, yeah? We got time. I'm not goin' anywhere, boy, an' you still got stuff to work through."

"I understand that, but...."

"Hush. Right now.... we're gonna cruise.... let the wind take care a'the shit we don't need."

Eventually, Michael nodded and tightened his grip in preparation for take-off. Smiling lightly, Will returned his gaze to the front, lifted his feet and the pair roared away into the darkness.

THE HOUSE: 45 MINUTES LATER

"Come now, Alex. No need to be mysterious. If you don't know or don't wish to reveal the result, just say so."

"That's not it."

Thinking he knew the problem, Adam spoke up, but Alex soon showed him his error.

"Average intelligence is nothing to be embarrassed about, Alex. Genius level minds only make up about two percent of the world's population. The rest of us have to get by on what we have."

The young man laughed sourly and pushed away his nearly empty dessert plate.

"Us? Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm firmly in the 'them' camp"

"Then you do know your IQ score."

"One of the few things I wish I *didn't* know."

"And?"

"Meet one of the unlucky two percent. I was tested at 195. That was in junior high, but I don't think it's changed much since."

"195... my God, you call that unlucky?"

"It was when my parents found out. Turned out my dad's IQ is somewhere around 100 and my mom is more like 90. When she called us all in for a conference, the school counselor was clueless.... she thought they'd be ecstatic. They were closer to royally pissed and insanely jealous. Between the concussion and the pain from the bruised ribs, the next three days of class were pretty much a blur. Still are. My memory of that week goes Monday, mostly cloudy, Friday."

"They forced you to go to school with a concussion?!" Joe exclaimed.

"My other option was to stay home. No force necessary. Sen-sei, you want help with the dishes?" Alex asked, rising and gathering his plates and utensils. Reeling from the revelation the young man had just dropped on all of them, Adam stared into his coffee mug. Joe, however, was unwilling to let the subject drop completely and swiftly devised a segue.

"Mind if I help? After yesterday, it's the least I can do."

Rising, Joe made his way to stand beside Alex at the sink. After a long moment of hesitation, he handed the older man a dish towel.

"You dry. I'm the only one who touches my pans."

"I'd expect nothing less from a real chef."

"Mr. Giles. Shall we get out of the way of the cleanup crew?"

After a thoughtful glance at Alex, Rupert nodded and the pair moved up the stairs. Joe waited until they were out of ear-shot to speak again.

"So... can I ask one more question? It's not about your background, I promise."

"Go ahead."

"With a mind like yours.... have you considered college?"

"Not for a second. Between patrol, training and work I don't have the time."

"And if you did?"

"With four of us in the house and only two incomes, the money isn't there."

"If it was?"

"No. I saw what it did to Buffy and I won't make that mistake."

"Mistake? I don't understand."

"She had a calling, but that wasn't enough for her. She couldn't stop wanting what the rest of the world seemed to have.... a so-called 'normal life'. That wanting distracted her.... sometimes it even made her stupid and blind. I won't let that happen to me."

"I can't believe it will. You aren't her, Alex. You seem to have an incredible support system here and you aren't too proud to take advantage of it when necessary. You know when to reach out for help and you understand that you can't take on this job alone. Buffy.... from what I've read she had a massive Lone Ranger complex that noone ever called her on."

Outside of a low grunt that could have meant anything from 'I agree' to 'Go away, you idiot', Alex chose not to respond. For a few minutes they worked in silence while Joe re-designed his strategy. Eventually, he tried again.

"Okay. Can I ask you.... well, a kinda personal question?"

"You can try. I may not answer, but you can try."

"True. I hope you will, though. Besides Rupert, William and Wes...I mean Michael, is there anything else you can really say you love? Anything you'd move heaven, earth and Bill Gates to get?"

"That wasn't what I was expecting."

"You don't look mad."

"I'm not. Confused... but not mad. Can I think for a minute?"

"Of course. Take all the time you need."

For a long silent stretch, the two men washed and dried plates, glasses and utensils in silence. Alex finally spoke up as he handed the last dessert plate to Joe. The older man dried the dish slowly as he listened.

"Are two answers okay?"

"Yeah, sure."

"First, I love training with Rupert. I've never thought I was anything close to coordinated. I've been known as a grade A klutz pretty much all my life, in fact. Not long after I started working out with Giles, though, I realized it wasn't true. He made me see that I was walking through the world with my eyes on my shoe-laces. Once I really took notice of what was around me.... I started to understand that I had a right to be there. Everything just clicked after that. The result is what you saw last night."

Joe swallowed hard to shift the lump in his throat and moved back to the table. Sitting down he grabbed his cooling coffee and sipped it before speaking up again. After seeing that the final dish was in its proper place, Alex joined him.

"So... what's your second choice?"

"My carpentry job."

"That sigh sounds like it's not quite love."

"It is. It used to be.... I'm good at what I do and working with my hands makes me unbelievably happy."

"But...."

"I'm finding myself drawn to the other end of the business lately."

"Architecture?"

"Yeah. Architecture." Alex responded, his voice suddenly filled with growing excitement and interest. "I've always loved to draw, but... I never got juiced about it 'till I started working with blueprints every day. The more I learn about drafting and design, the more I wanna experiment and... and the more I feel like I could be amazing at it. I mean... I'm a pretty good carpenter, but sometimes I think I could be a hundred times better as an architect."

"Wow. There's some real passion there. If I make you a proposal... will you promise to hear me out before you accept or reject it?"

Alex hesitated, but eventually agreed.

"I'm listening. Talk."

"If you had a full four year scholarship guaranteed, and I could convince the Council that there was no chance of the Faith disaster happening again, what would you say to another Slayer being around, just to cover the hours you're in class?"

Alex fixed Joe with a look that made the older man momentarily question whether he had a future outside an ICU. Joe swallowed hard, but he stood firm. "It's a good idea and you know it. You deserve your dream."

"I didn't say it was a *bad* idea. Don't get too worried. I was just testing you on my DEFCON 1 glare to see if you'd defend your thoughts."

"And?"

"You're not backing off and doing a mea culpa this time. It's a start."

"The proposal..."

"I'll think about it."

Methos re-entered the kitchen just then and any further persuasion on Joe's part had to be curtailed.

"We need to go get some rest, Joe, if we're planning on joining Alex on patrol."

"Yeah, you're right. Alex..."

"If I figure out an answer, I'll be in touch."

"Okay. We'll meet you back here around seven tomorrow night. Anything we need to know?"

"I only have two rules for civilians. If I tell you to do something, do it fast and don't ask stupid questions. If I say run, you take off like your pants are on fire and your ass is catching. If I say stand still, you hold your breath 'till I tell you to relax. Got it?"

"Got it. And number two?" Methos asked.

"No talking to me while I'm fighting. I get distracted at the wrong moment, we could all end up as an all-you-can-eat demon buffet. By the way, you both have strong hearts and stomachs, right?"

"Uhhh.... yeah, pretty much."

"Good. You might need them. Night, gentlemen."

As the Watchers were leaving, Will and Michael were arriving home. Tension flared briefly as the two pairs passed each other, but it faded and dissipated once Joe and Methos were out of the house. Rupert lovingly embraced his soul-mate, lifting the slight form off his feet and drawing deep breaths against his neck and hair as he set him down again.

"Mmmm.... I love it when you come back after a long ride. You smell like fresh air.... and the road."

"Always come back to you, baby.... moon to the tide...."

"I need you. Come upstairs?"

"Yeah...."

The two lovers moved away, leaving Alex and Michael alone. They strolled to the couch and flopped down close together.

"So... how was the interview? Any further disgraceful behavior?"

"No, actually. They were both fine. We got into a subject I wasn't comfortable with, but.... they took the hint when I changed tacks."

"Do you want to vent a bit? I'm all ears, as they say."

"Not really. They asked about my I.Q., that's all. It brought up.... painful memories. Look, Mikey.... sen-sei and Will made it kinda obvious they need to be alone tonight, but...."

"What?"

"Would you be willing to stay with me.... in the same bed? I swear, there'll be absolutely no sexual contact. I just can't stand waking up from nightmares all by myself, and.... the conversation we had tonight is gonna bring out some whoppers, I know it. All I'm looking for is comfort, I promise..."

"Alex, don't worry. I understand. Of course I'll do it. You're ready to sleep now, I hope? I discovered I quite like the Bronze, but between that and an hour or two on the motorcycle, I'm completely exhausted."

"They're doing a "Straight From the Eighties" weekend starting Friday night. Feel like going?"

"I'd love it, but if I don't get some rest soon, I won't be awake before dinner tomorrow."

Chuckling, the pair rose and headed upstairs to prepare for bed.

END PART 13