Title: Seeking help

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: HP belongs to JKR and Buffy belongs to Joss. I make no money here.

Rating: PG?

Pairings: none

Summary: Response to 20 minutes with Ethan. Ethan asks for help.


Seeking Help
by Kate R
.

Start 2:02 PM

Ethan Rayne paced outside of the corridor, waiting for the decision of those who taught here. This place had once been the closest thing he had to home. Still was he amended to himself. This place was still the closest place he'd ever had to a home. Now he was back, not to ask for a job but to ask for help. He'd arrived for his appointment at noon and had stated his case. Now he was out here, waiting for their decision. He hoped for help. He
needed help.

Ethan had never been a stupid man; he knew when he needed help. He was just too stubborn and afraid to ask for it. Now though, he had no choice. The Chaos had been getting out of even his ability to control. It had started when the red headed witch had nearly destroyed the world. It was like all the magic to those who did not or, as in his case thanks to Sirius Black's joke, Could not use wands had blown beyond even the ability of even the most powerful mages, like him, to control completely. He was working on it but he did not want to use his power again until he had it under control. He did not, could not, risk hurting people he was not aiming for. That was not how he worked. And his magic was bleeding out and he was losing things that were happening so he'd come here. He'd come back to this place that had been the only real home he'd ever had, and he'd asked for help. Now, he was waiting.

Waiting for their decision. Waiting...

The door opened and Ethan looked up. Professor Flitwick was standing looking at him gravely.

"Come in, Ethan," he said. "We're ready for you again."

Ethan swallowed and nodded. He did not think this could go well for him, no matter what the past was. His name was not Potter or Black so he was not a golden boy. But he hoped…he hoped maybe they had compassion.

Because if they did not, he was dead soon. The magic was would burn through him and then Chaos would ride unchecked.

"Ethan Rayne," Albus Dumbledore said. "We have heard your petition to return to Hogwarts and relearn the control you need to safely handle the element you were given charge of. It is the decision of the staff and myself to grant your petition and bring you back. However, we need something from you as well."

"Yes Headmaster?" Ethan asked his old teacher.

"We need you to teach, Ethan," Albus said. "You, as well as Ripper Giles and Remus Lupin were the best of your year in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Therefore, I would ask you to fill that blank spot. We need you, Ethan, as you need us. What say you? Are you amenable to teaching?"

"I will teach for you," Ethan whispered amazed. They...trusted him? To teach children? But he knew the trust was never given carelessly. Ethan knew this was a gift, an honor, and he would take it as such.

"Very well, Ethan," Albus Dumbledore said. "Why don't you get your things and then, we will show you to your quarters. Term starts in three weeks. We look forward to you teaching here this year. And this will give you something to do besides take jobs you do not really want to earn money."

"Thank you, headmaster," Ethan said. "Thank you so much."

Ethan turned to leave and was halfway out the door when a voice called him back. He saw the Headmaster looking at him and there was a warm twinkle in his eye.

"Ethan," he said making the sorcerer turn to face him.

"Headmaster?" Ethan questioned.

"Welcome home, son."

And Ethan smiled, as he felt warmed through his supposedly cold heart. Home. He was home. And if felt wonderful.



Fin: 2:22 PM