Title: Weekly Ritual

Author: meagan

nutmeg@serv.net

Summary: Too short for a real summary. Phone calls are made. Comes after "Reversal," "The Morning After," and "Departure Point." Just read it.

Spoilers: Too short for spoilers, but let's just say everything.

Disclaimer: Of *course* they belong to someone else. I could never some up with characters like this. Specifically, they belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, WB, and anyone else I forgot.

Rating: G, I think.

Distribution: Please ask. I'm not too sure anyone would really want it, though.

Feedback: Yes, please. I'm finding that I have no desire to continue this stuff without it.

 

Reversal 4: Weekly Ritual

by Meagan

 

"Hello?"

"Hey, Will." Xander. "Have you talked to Angel?"

"No, Xander, he's probably still busy getting settled. Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Heavy sigh. "Will, you won't tell him I called and asked about him, will you?"

"Do I ever?"

"Thanks."

~~~

"Hello?"

"Hi."

"Hey, Angel, how's it going? Did you catch that demon you were asking about last week?"

"Yeah. Thanks for the information." Uncomfortable silence. "Have you talked to Xander?"

"Nope. I got a postcard yesterday, though. From the Corn Palace. That's in South Dakota." Xander never asked to keep the postcards secret.

A chuckle. Finally. It only took two and a half months. "Yeah, Whistler dragged me through it on our way out to California a few years ago." Before he saw Buffy, before he met Willow and Xander. Xander. "How's he doing?"

"He's actually getting sick of the junk food he's lived on ever since I've known him."

Another chuckle. A good sign. "Willow, can you do me a favor? Don't tell him I called?"

"Do I ever?"

"Thanks."

~~~

"Morrison's Mortuary. You stab 'em, we slab 'em. You slay 'em, we lay 'em. What can I do ya for?"

Silence on the other end, then a small voice. "Cordelia?"

"Willow, hi!" Genuine affection.

Another pause. Then , "I needed to talk to Angel. I can call back if this isn't a good time."

A sigh. "Don't be silly. Look, I'm past all that Xander stuff. Really. After all, he's the one who got me started on this whole Angel thing." More silence on the other end. "Okay, that came out wrong. I'm really enjoying what I'm doing here with Angel. The work, I mean. I'm good at it, and it's actually kind of fun. He's too busy mooning over some lost love to even *consider* chasing or lusting after."

'Lost love.' Not 'Buffy.' "Is Angel there? I need to talk to him." As if she would be calling him to just listen to him breathe, to make sure he hadn't dusted himself.

"Nope, sorry. He's out chasing some lowlife who tried to cross Whistler's group." Now why on earth would Willow need to talk to Angel? "Can I take a message?"

"Xander wants to visit." Now it was Cordelia's turn to be silent. "You know, don't you?"

Which option? Play dumb and avoid this discussion, lie about what she did know, acknowledge but gloss over the truth. Quietly, as if to avoid breaking a spell, a fourth choice. "Yeah. I do." A sad smile that could be heard across the phone line. "Now we just have to convince those two."

~~~~ the end ~~~~