New fic: ‘Reflections’

by Sangue

Pairing: Spike/Connor

Rating: NC17

please note Connor is of college age in this WIP - I will update soon and apologies to those who have seen it pimped elsewhere - just ignore me!

Just want to wave my first fic under your slashy noses: `Reflections'. Parts 1, 2 and 3are on my website here: http://uk.geocities.com/sanguinata/fiction/fanfiction.htm

Pairing: Spike/Connor

Summary: Set some time in season 5 `Angel', Spike meets up with memory-challenged Connor whose cosy life in the bosom of his adopted family is about to be upset by revelations and reflections about his `old' one. POV alternates between Connor and Spike.

Ratings: eventually - NC17 and vague spoilers for Angel Season 5.

Thanks: to my harem of beautiful betas who have given me so much encouragement and advice. Amy, Jill and Liz, I wouldn't have got this far without you. Thanks also to the Lazuli Kat for building me a home for my stories and for advice and encouragement every step of the way.

If you want to check out my website while you're there go to main page or follow PFA link. http://uk.geocities.com/sanguinata/ or
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sangueuk/

feedback: sangueuk@yahoo.com


Reflections
by Sangue


Chapter 1: images

This wasn’t his scene – maybe he was getting old, but these coffee bars make him sick to his stomach. Full of twats spinning out each dollar before they were tossed out. Jesus, he feels old! Spike lights another cigarette and peers through the blue haze at the group of students he’s been watching for some forty minutes. What is it with these morons and their laptops and coffee? Don’t they have homes to go to?

He becomes increasingly irritable at having to take his eyes off the group each time he takes a sip of his chocolate. The mug’s an enormous mustard-coloured affair with a handle too small to slip his fingers through. The armchair makes him want to go to sleep. Seat this big, needed to put your feet up, forced to perch and leave this huge gap behind you – what if you lost your balance on the overstuffed cushions? You’d look a right prat.

Just needed a shag – that’s why he’s so uptight.

Spike stands and shakes out a leg numb from all the perching and takes a last look at the group. That was enough ‘hunting’ for one evening. Then he sees Junior rummaging in his rucksack, body hunched, nervous eyes darting. Even from here, Spike can smell how tense the boy is; mmm…nervous with a dash of cinnamon. Maybe he should stay, after all.

Spike, fortunately, glances behind him before he almost sits;

“Excuse me! You were gone.”

Spike resists the impulse to comment on the girl’s desperate need to bleach and looks her in the eye.

“Didn’t want to squeeze up, anyway…” he purrs. Dark eyebrows winch high, tugging the poor girl’s will power with them.

“…but…”

But he’s gone.

A newspaper, that’s what he needs. In his new position, closer to the group but very far from a seat and annoyingly in the no smoking section – Spike tosses his coat onto a table and leans back on a railing. He’ll have to get another drink, otherwise he’ll get thrown out, but the last one had made him sick to his stomach. Funny how his metabolism, if you could call it that, could deal with JD and pig’s blood but this stuff made him want to hurl. They must put something in the drinks so you had to leave and make room for another punter before you threw up on your trainers. Only way to prise these yuppie arses out of here. He notices Connor wears boots. Must be the Vampire genes, he thinks with a grin.

***

“Pervy Punk-Guy’s still looking over.” Stevo says.

Connor straightens, shoves his backpack under the seat with the side of his foot and slips something in his back pocket. He doesn’t glance over at Spike and finds he is surprised how not looking is harder each time.

Stevo nudges him.

“That something for me?”

“Yep. Outside. Later.” Connor turns his back to Spike and rests one buttock on the chair arm.

“What do you suppose he wants, man?” Stevo scrutinizes Spike over Connor’s shoulder. “He’s been looking over and you ain’t noticed?”

“I’ve noticed. If you keep looking back at him he’s gonna think you’re hot for him. “Connor says, “And you’re standing way too close. Back off.”

“It’s cus I’m thinking of you, Conn. Guy thinks you’re with me, he’ll back off!”

“It’s them I don’t want backing off. Move!” Connor forces a smile and nods at a group of girls partly obscured by a pile of folders and bags on a table across from them.

“Maybe the guy can tell you’re gay. They all say there’s this ‘gaydar’ thing going on. In the ‘community.’”

“Stevo. Fuck. Off.” Sometimes, this ‘after school special’ bullshit felt old.

***

Well, well, well…so Junior’s a pouf like his dad! Spike throws back his head and grins. His tongue soothes his incisors for a moment as he contemplates the pair.

Connor’s mate seems to be trying to make a move and Spike can’t tell if Junior’s interested or not. He has Darla’s eyes – always somewhere else when he’s talking to you. Not listening, hiding. Searching. Long arms twisted around his own waist. Endless legs blocking off the group. Connor turns to catch Spike’s gaze. A cat’s blink and his attention’s back with his jock pal in the Abercrombie, who has now stepped over Connor’s feet and is leaning in, whispering.

Hey, what‘s this? Why is his cock stirring? Spike lowers the newspaper to his lap just in case. Nothing to worry about, probably some woman about to ovulate, wafting past, making him stand to attention. There are more bloody hormones in this place than his vamp senses can deal with. He looks over at the pair again. Abercrombie’s a bit of a tart, anyway, making eyes at the Big Bad when he’s supposed to be chatting up Junior. And this definitely isn’t helping his cock to lie down and stay! Damn his predatory heart to pieces - the way it looks – Junior all ‘back off’ and his mate not getting anywhere…well, it’s all just plain stimulating this struggle between them. God, he hasn’t had a good…’struggle’ with anyone for ages!

He’s coming over. Spike holds his newspaper aloft, crosses his legs and lowers his eyes to the text.

***

He knew it! Fucking Vamp! And an old one.

Three evenings the punk had been somewhere in the café. Soon as he’d finished class Connor would head down with his college friends, and there he’d be, waiting - easy to spot in the crowd.

By the second day, Connor had already suspected the punk was a vamp.

Found he was searching for the hair, and when he headed for the counter, Connor saw the punk shift then tense, peroxide down framing creamy skin – the way he’d sat up, punk must have sensed him. Connor was being hunted.

Now he wonders what particular quirk this vampire has that he’s making such a game of it. Maybe he was a perv before he was turned. Maybe he liked to be let in, make friends – then move in for the kill. Sick bastard! The need to hunt and kill Connor could understand - vamps needed to eat – but these fuckers, the ones who make a long drawn out game of it – these were the ones he hated with a side-order of bile in his mouth. And it always seemed to be the old ones.

The intense smell of cut stems that Connor was beginning to associate with the vampire washes over him once again as he pushes past Stevo and pats a finger on the punk’s newspaper. Sharp blue eyes catch his.

“What do you want?” Connor hisses.

“World peace, mate. What you on about?”

“You’ve been watching me!”

The vampire hasn’t blinked once through this short exchange.

“Just keeping an eye on you.”

“What? Why would you do that? I think you’re some kind of creep, that’s what I think.”

“Is it now?” The vampire’s calm. In no hurry to explain anything.

***

He shouldn’t have said that. Light another fag, that’ll give him a second to think.

“You smoke too much.” Connor says, nodding at the ‘No Smoking’ sign. Damn! Gave away that he’d noticed details.

“I fucking hate this country sometimes.” Spike pushes his hips forward so that he can slip his Zippo into the change pocket of his jeans, a movement that makes Connor take a step back.

“Yet you smoke our cigs, wear our jeans and enjoy our freedoms!”

“And fill your bloody air ways with smoke!” Spike blows a ring that hangs before Connor’s eyes. Ah, just a year and already the all American boy is talking like a patriot. You had to hand it to Wolfram and Hart. “And want to know something? That’s the best bit.” Spike gestures towards Connor’s friend who is watching them. “You can go back to your boyfriend. You don’t want to get him all jealous, do you now?”

***

This wasn’t working. Connor needed to let him know that he knew he was a vamp. That would change the situation. He could tell the punk wasn’t scared. Well why would he be of an ‘ordinary’ human?

“I’m not what you think, you know.” Connor hisses his hair flopping forward as he leans in.

The vampire snorts.

“What? Into boys? I couldn’t give a monkey’s arse what you like to do mate. Free country – you good as said it yourself.”

“How old are you?” Connor realises how random the question sounds.

“Just a couple of years older then you, mate.”

***

Well – it was kind of true. Good thing souls didn’t kick in - like chips did - every time you lied. Fuck, he’d be covered in burns or pock marks or something.

“I think you’re a lot older than me.” Junior says.

“You saying I’m too old to be in this place - that what it is?”

“No. That’s not what I’m saying.”

“Well I didn’t see a sign on the door saying ‘If your balls have dropped – KEEP OUT!’” – Spike’s marble hands draw a rectangle in the air and then thumb dismissively over his shoulder releasing ash to his lap.

The sudden movement makes the newspaper slip to the ground. They both look down, and on the way up their eyes meet. Spike purses his lips, hoping this will work like a grip to the base of his cock and calm him down. Here’s this kid, standing nose to nose with a vamp and is he scared? Not a bit of it. Turned on - yes, but not scared. Mighty impressive. One thing Spike has learnt over a hundred plus years is that if he likes something he has to eat it or fuck it. Preferably both. Wouldn’t do to eat this one, though. Grandpa wouldn’t be at all pleased. Wasn’t why he was here.

“Look kid, I don’t know what your problem is. I like this place. It’s…” Spike chews his lip and scans the café, “…a home from home.” Well that’ll be another pock mark. “I’m keeping an eye on you. A ‘friend’ asked me to. Wasn’t gonna say anything but you’ve put me in a bit of a position. I was watching your arse, but not in the way you think, don’t worry. Sorry to disappoint.”

“I can smell you.” Connor whispers.

“It’s the fags, innit? Don’t notice it myself no more.”

“I know what you are.”

Spike mulls this over.

“Then you’ll know to watch your step.” Spike’s tone is cold as an assassin’s. He scoops up his jacket wishing he’d worn his leather duster so it would billow as he leaves, but he knows the kid’s eyes will be on the door for some seconds once he’s left.



Chapter 2: Mirror

“You’re quiet, son.”

Connor realizes his eyes have been fastened on the congealed contents of his plate for some time.

“Tired, Dad. Sorry.”

“Tough time of year.”

“Hmm…”

Connor’s dad glances at his wife.

“Kid’s working too hard.”

“Dad, I’m fine. Really...”

He finds himself irritated by their concern. Shakes away something in the far reaches of his memory…something…but all he can find to take its place is that irritating face. That smirk. He stabs the food and is suddenly aware how strange that really was. Irritating…

“Sorry about this, Mom. “

Empties the cold leftovers into the trash and now even the white plate reminds him…

Connor hugs the breakfast bar for a moment, then shaking hands scrape collar length hair into a temporary pony-tail. Why was he feeling so unsettled, hot and anxious? Why couldn’t he breathe? Why hadn’t that blond bastard been there this evening? He kicks the trash can and flinches when he realises he’s dented it. Fuck. He has to get out, has to get the image of those knowing eyes out of his head. He spends a while staring at the whitewash on the kitchen wall. They have simple tastes, his parents, he’ll give them that. Like everything to be clean, in its place. In their place. Not his. Connor lunges for his coat.

“I’ll be back late. Don’t wait up.”

“Son! It’s cold!”

More than a door divides them.

Rain. Hiding him, embracing him with wet arms, keeping him warm. He loves weather like this and rides out a surge of joy as he moves through the glistening streets. Loping strides cover the soaked pavements while eager eyes scour the shadows. Needs to kill something, anything.

And not for the first time Connor wonders at this compulsion, this drive to kill and clean the city of scum. He doesn’t doubt the desire nor shirk the pleasure. But, sometimes, he wonders, as he vaults a parked car, where this strength comes from. His body is sinewy but narrow. His hands don’t look any different from anyone else’s. His legs aren’t any bigger than all those guys who hang out at the track. Is he a demon like the bloodsuckers? Does this power come from something inside him? And why? Why? All he knows is he’s on his own and likes to kill, takes out a handful every night and kicks through their dust determined to keep going.

Since his time in the hospital, after the accident, everything felt different: he couldn’t remember things; didn’t ‘get’ his friends or the things they said and as much as he tried, he couldn’t work himself back into the group.

He jumps over the windshield of another vehicle, sniffing the air like a vulture waiting for something to die. Legs wide for balance, he shakes his head. He doesn’t understand it, but he always feels safe in the rain. A shower of droplets falls to his shoulders, and Connor leans his face into the rain taking the sky’s benediction like a whore.

He remembers that night. The first time.

He’d been home a while, went to some bar with Stevo, who felt like a stranger. His mom was anxious when he left.

“You sure you’re gonna be ok, Connor?”

“Yep.”

“Phone me.”

He was polite, he liked that his parents cared, never found it irritating or stifling. He soaked up their love. But jeez, he’d needed to get away. He dropped Stevo off and stopped for gas on the way home.

At the deserted gas station, Connor grabbed some chips and gum, went for a leak and found the freak outside, waiting for him. He remembers thinking the guy looked like he’d been in a car accident or something, that his head must have really crunched the dash. Either that or a fire, chemicals maybe, must have caused those ugly scars all over his forehead. And boy, his dentist must have been on vacation a real long time. Real ugly guy who hadn’t moved out of the way as Connor tried to walk past him to his car. The ugly had licked his lips with a growl, and Connor was damned if he was going to be some truck driver’s bitch, so he’d elbowed him hard. The guy flew something like twenty feet, landed on a fence post then just ‘disappeared’ in a horrifying hiss.

Now? This was normal. His ‘normal’.

A snarl of untapped frustration builds in his chest, and Connor glances around to check that he’s alone before he can let rip with a yell that taunts and invites.

***

Stupid wanker! Doesn’t he realise this place is crawling with vamps?

Spike huddles in a doorway, his body contorted against the elements. Wasn’t supposed to rain in L.A. ! What the fuck was going on? Twice in one week – feels like bloody home. He pulls his duster close and searches for his cigs. All out – shit!

Spike sighs when he sees Connor leap on the car and then mentally slaps himself for feeling a momentary concern that the boy will slip and hurt himself. Bloody soul! He didn’t think it would make him such a wuss. Then it catches him out again… the boy does look happy, head thrown back - too big forehead pale in the artificial light, and Spike finds his eyes sliding down Connor’s throat lingering at the straining Adam’s apple. The kid moves like a fucking cat. As Spike watches, Connor rolls his shoulders and stretches his hands palms up to catch what is now a torrent. Then the human rolls his tongue, slowly probing the corners of a wide mouth, licking at the raindrops. His hair is plastered to his head and face and the coat whips away from his chest like a bird’s wings. A beautiful sight.

The car alarm hauls both of them back.

***

Half a dozen vamps circle the car. Connor holds his vantage point, the orange strobe from the shrieking alarm painting his face a second at a time.

He pulls a stake from his back pocket, twirls it cockily, the other hand free to beckon the first loser towards him. Connor can sense their leader somewhere in the shadows, allowing his minions do the dirty work until he can work out the opposition – sacrifice a few – there was time enough for the two of them.

The first vamp advances, hands in pockets, his mullet trailing down his back.

“City’s a dangerous place at night, kid.”

“Dangerous for you, scum!”

Connor roars as he back flips off the hood to land behind the bemused vamp, the stake through his shoulder blade before an idiot brain can catch up with events – a momentary expression of understanding freezing in mid air before he’s sludge on the road.

Feels good! Feels right!

Connor spins to meet the support band, who barrel towards him. He revels in his enhanced speed as the pair become packet soup with their friends at his feet.

“Come on! Someone! Anyone! Give me a fight, already!” he whispers to himself and even as he speaks, Connor wonders at the familiarity of the words. He is learning, learning to talk like them. And there was that twitch in his head again, like he’d forgotten to do something important.

“You want someone. I’m here.” A tall figure emerges from the far end of the street. “You’re a warrior. A human, - but a warrior nevertheless.”

Connor holds his position and peers down at his enemy.

“Your gang isn’t the best I’ve come across. Hard to get staff these days. Everyone wants shit loads of money for not doing much.” Only Connor’s lips move as he speaks, as he watches his opponent. “Guess that’s what you get for cutting back.”

The vamp’s amber eyes flicker as he takes a self-assured step forward, and Connor’s knuckles tighten on the stake.

“Kid, I’ve eaten tonight. You wanna leave my ‘hood, feel free.”

“Nice place you’ve got.”

“’Nice’ before you came here an’ played. Leave! I’m feelin’ charitable.”

Connor reckons there are two other side-kicks left, the first at one o’clock, the other moving closer at six o’clock…Connor jabs his right arm back and down to demolish him even before the vamp’s arms have snaked around his ankles in an attempt to pull him to the ground. The human rises from his squatting position and dives to the ground, the stake again a baton to tease the leader with.

“Thing is, boss, I like it here. Lotta people like it here. Shame they can’t be out at night for a nice romantic walk in the rain in case some bloodsucking rat decides he needs a snack.”

“Nice people stay home on a night like this.”

The vamp takes another step forward. Connor glides to his right, not allowing himself to forget the last vamp whose scent indicates he is now somewhere behind him.

***

Spike takes in the spectacle.

Gotta admire the kid’s balls. And style – with that side-winding saunter, his head still as a cobra’s. Spike watches Connor move towards the rear end of the car, taunting the boss with every step.

“So it’s you and me. You gonna stay there? Seems like you might have met your match. Never seen a human that’s not afraid of you, have you? Or one that’s going to kill you”

“Oh, I bin killed by a human before, kid. Ain’t keen for that to happen again. You gonna talk all night or we gonna fight?”

Why doesn’t he just shut the fuck up? Cocky little sod. Doesn’t do to wind Masters up like that. Sure the vamp was a half wit, but you don’t need brains to be a ruthless killer. Just the compulsion and delight in your work. Spike wonders for the third time in five minutes whether or not he should intervene. He’s managed to hold back so far. Each time, his mind had been put to rest along with the vamps Connor had sent to Hell. Spike knew he could always jump in at the last minute and save him. He could even wait till one of the vamps started to drain him – might even teach the kid a lesson or two. Only wishes he had a smoke to pass the time. Never enjoyed a good gig much without a cig in his hand. He instinctively shoves into his pocket, just in case, cautiously avoiding the semi-hardness caused by the adrenaline coming off Angelus’ son. His jeans are sodden, fuck!

Spike pushes away from the doorway and moves behind Connor. Just in case, both hands clenching and unclenching deep in his duster pockets as he saunters in super slow mo just short of the pool of light ahead.

***

“You got a last request?”

“Cocky for a kid.” the vamp snarls as he dives but Connor’s anticipated the move and has already jumped the 15 feet upwards to the neck of the street light so he can find the momentum to swing and kick the vamp, sending him backwards across the hood of the car. Gracefully he drops, retrieving the stake from his mouth so he can…the vamp’s looking over his shoulder…what the…? Connor slams the vamp across the face with the back of his hand and spins to face his last opponent…must be losing his touch…nearly forgot this other…holy shit!

“Having fun?”

But Connor doesn’t have time to answer Spike, he’s too busy clutching at his balls and wondering how the hell he’s going to shake this son-of-a-vampire-bitch’s grip from his chest as he keels forward onto his knees.

“Knew you were a pouf.” Connor hears the punk smirk through the sound of his own grunting.

“What’s. A. Pouf?” The human pants as he elbows the master vamp repeatedly. Connor dislodges him, buying enough time to stagger to his feet. Enough time to take in the punk’s rain-soaked jeans and gleaming duster and that goddamned, sarcastic pout until another kick from his enemy sends him face down at Spike’s feet and the stake skittering under the car out of reach.

“I thought he was the leader.” Connor groans as the snarling master drags him round so they’re face to face and straddles him, pinning the human’s arms across his chest. Deadly eyes loom towards Connor’s face before they divert to his throat.

***

“You know, there are special clubs. Dry, even. Where two men can go…I mean if you two want to be alone…?”

Shit! This was a Zippo moment if ever there was one. Spike licks his lips when he sees the shiny patch of reddened flesh where the boy’s forehead must have scraped the ground.

“I might even be able to get you into some of the better ones. Just…” Spike steps aside as the pair roll a little nearer. “…say ‘Spike’ sent you.”

Was now the time? Should he step in? This vamp was strong, been around a few years. Nah…too much fun watching the kid take a beating. He needed to learn how to respect his elders and betters.

***

The master pulls back momentarily to examine the blond vampire.

“I don’t know him, man.” He explains to Connor before his jaw widens. Connor hisses in anticipation as the teeth sink into…where’d he go?

That… fucking… smirking…

***

“Didn’t look very strong to me. Bit of a let down I’d say.” Spike positions himself against the car, one leg on the bumper and arranges the leather to hide his crotch. He points at Connor with his stake before slipping it into an inside pocket. “Trouble with you, kid, is …”

Kid looks hurt. Leans up on one elbow, flinches. Blue eyes widen and look to Spike for answers as he tries to brush poultice of master vampire off soaked clothing.

“I could’ve helped you.” Spike says, nods his head to the side in a half shrug, “Figured you wouldn’t appreciate it. Kid your age needs support not help.”

“Who the fuck are you?”

“Name’s ‘Spike’”

He unwraps himself from the car and offers Connor his hand.



CHAPTER 3: Refraction

Spike curls his fingers into fists and tucks them into his pockets. Looks at Connor and decides that taking a beating suits him. Pretty lips pounded to fullness and a trace of stubble adds to the dishevelled image and Spike suddenly feels like roughing him up a little more. Connor lies there like a pile of leaves the vampire aches to wade through, regardless of the mess it would leave. He’s young, true, a little younger then when William was turned. There’s knowingness behind those scowling eyes, a suffering and determination not to be ground down. A far cry from that dead nancy-boy poet who still thought his cock was for stirring his tea. Spike examines the broad forehead and wonders what Grandpa would make of the unkempt hair. It would be a tender scene indeed – the sharing of hair gel.

“Tell me, why I shouldn’t kill you.” Connor’s voice is hoarse, as if he’s just woken up and realised where he is.

“Now that’s rich!” Spike snorts. “I’ve just saved your bleedin’ life, that’s why.” He swivels on his heel.

“Wait!”

The vampire stops too quickly, but then Connor seems in no hurry to stand.

“You’re not like those other…” when Junior searches for the right word, Spike comes to the rescue for the second time that evening.

“Girls?” the vampire offers, settling easily against the car. He crosses his ankles and looks up at the sky. It’s stopped raining. “Nice weather we’re ‘aving.”

The kid isn’t too injured to roll his eyes.

“You know – you’re just a bum. You look like a freak and…” Connor sits up and explores the damage to his face with cautious finger tips.

He catches Spike’s expression. “You’re not hungry, are you?”

“Not very, no.” Spike feels a catch in his throat when he sees the bloodied hand, and the scent reminds him who he is, who ‘they’ are. He pushes away the instinct beaten into him that bade him drop to his knees before Angelus. He covers up his feelings and shakes his dignity awake by rearranging his coat over an alert cock. Just the scent of his grandsire was enough. “Why? Want to take me to dinner, do you?” His sarcasm is ignored. “You getting up or what?”

Connor makes a show of the lack of effort, but Spike can tell – he can sense the pain.

“You hurt?”

“No. “Connor shuffles past him.

***

Why would a vampire take any interest in a human’s pleasure or pain? It had crossed his mind to stake him but…’something’ had made him hesitate. Connor drags one boot in front of the other, wondering at the strangeness of his life. He wants to talk, ask questions and at the same time wants to run away from what he might find out. Connor pauses momentarily when he hears Spike behind him. The vampire is silhouetted against the street lights, his coat tails fanning as he hops to catch up.

And that smell again now he’s closer– the scent of bleeding stems invades Connor’s nostrils suddenly like frosty air. Still isn’t sure it’s coming from the vampire so Connor inhales again deeply, aware of the need to be quiet. He knows to keep his guard up around the vamp. He holds the scent in his gut for a while…Jesus…needs to check so the human lifts his own wrist close to his mouth, touches a bruised lip, draws a short breath just to be sure…yes, it’s himself. He can smell himself. Questions…

“So, dinner then?” Spike says.

No point. This guy wouldn’t give a straight answer.

Connor sets off, wants to talk so much he’s struck dumb.

***

And this feeling was all too familiar. The lick of flames in his belly. Angelus’s brat shaking him off and here he was prancing after him like a good childe…

“You asked if I was hungry. S’pose I could eat. There’s a nice Chinky a couple of blocks that way.” Spike tries to sound friendly, but his voice is loud in the deserted streets.

Connor stops again. Ah, got him now!

The human’s eyebrows almost meet. Spike has learned to live with people not understanding a lot of what he’s saying. Most of the time he enjoys it. Good fun irritating Grandpa and his human pets that way.

“Chinese food. You must like Chinese food.” The kid’s obviously a half-wit. Nothing to do with him being English at all. The Irish - ever humourless and literal.

“I need to get home. Mom, Dad – they’ll be wondering…it’s late.”

“Ah, ‘Dad’…” Spike emphasises the word Dad deliberately.

That’s stopped him in his tracks. Wide eyes, shadow-sculpted cheek bones, long slender neck twisting to try and read Spike’s expression. But Spike was never very good at intrigue. He could have spun this out, but he fancied a bite to eat. Well, he fancied a bite but since he wasn’t going to get one of those in the foreseeable future, ribs would have to do. He loved ribs, not much meat, lots of canine action.

“You heard me right. ‘Dad’. “Spike slips into Big Bad mode. It’s easy, never forgets his lines or where to stand. He leans close, nose to nose, enough to detect a hint of Angelus in the young man’s scent, enough to stir up ancient desire and resentment. “Do you think you got that from him? That strength. Think about it!” He grabs a wet sleeve. “Your ‘Dad’ know how to fight like that? “

***

“Why are you following me? Why did you save me from that vamp tonight?” But he isn’t giving Spike time to answer; he’s too busy pounding the vampire’s face, every punch accompanied by a grunt and a sneer. “Fuck off! Keep away from me!” Spike just soaks it up, waits for him to stop as if he knows that Connor’s curiosity, his need to know, will prevent a dusting. Spike’s landed against a railing and the human’s breathing heavily, teeth bared. “Fight back, you pervert!”

This seems to hit the vampire harder than any fist. Spike appears to grow a foot taller as he lifts Connor by the shoulders and slams him against the nearest wall.

“Little shit!” He’s in game face now, deadly teeth scouring the surface of the human’s jaw, the sensation arousing Connor much to his horror. “I oughtta…”

Yellow eyes so close, drawing him in. Connor gulps, waits. Spike’s knee is between his thighs preventing escape, undead hands gripping his shoulders. No breath, just the low growl of the predator vibrating between their entwined bodies. And the human senses the hesitation, the taut leash that was somehow holding this demon.

“I thought…I thought you said you weren’t hungry?”

The vampire blinks, releases Connor’s shoulders and laughs. Laughs like a teenage boy who’s just heard a dirty story.

“Sod this.”

And he’s gone in a dash of leather and tobacco, leaving Connor a shaking mess on the sidewalk.



Part 4: Counterpart

Can’t sleep.

As the rain pounds through what’s left of the night, Connor shifts in a tangle of sheets thinking about those yellow eyes, his face fixed in a scowl as he replays each inflection in Spike’s voice from the teasing, high pitched chuckle to the deep, intimidating killer roar.

In the few hours since the vampire took off, Connor has thought of nothing else. His mind is in meltdown as he tries to examine the unfamiliar, yet curiously stimulating, powerlessness caused by the demon pressing against his thighs. Connor, who has made an art out of building barriers and hiding his needs and feelings from friends and family, is horrified to find that now he’s unable to take control - almost unwilling and he’s irritated as well as confused by – –was it ‘attraction’ to the vampire? He tries in vain to get comfortable as he’s swept by an unfamiliar tide.

‘Dad. Dad?’ What did Spike mean? Why did it mean something? It feels like everything is about to change.

Dry-mouthed, Connor explores the ceiling where rain drops reflect through the window to make patterns that remind him of the fine veins on the vampire’s hands. He’s never fought a creature so strong, never met his match, and he’s confused at the way the experience has left him hung over yet craving more.

Connor stands on the bed and reaches for the ceiling, the shapes now dancing on his bare skin.

Moving to the window, he scans the deserted street. No, not on a night like this - he wouldn’t be watching now. Connor drags cool air into his lungs and slides tender knuckles across the pane. When he blows on them, he revels in the slight chill. The blinds at half – mast heave erratically, and he allows them to drop after one last survey of the street.

Who was ‘Spike’? Beneath the vampire’s clownish, brusque exterior, the human was disconcerted when he’d sensed the presence of a calm, deadly creature – the demon which seemingly refused to surface. Where did this restraint come from? Why had Spike pulled back? And…something else continues to play at the peripheries of Connor’s mind…memories. It’s like trying to hold on to a shoal of tiny fish, flashes of colour, shapes but little else as he tries to grapple and examine elusive details and feelings which leave the alluring, familiar smell of old death and ancient, powerful blood.

The one element that stayed, concrete and real was fear. And, although he wouldn’t name it – desire.

On his belly, hands still cold from the glass, Connor splays his arms across the bed and looks down the length of bicep at his fingers. Turns on his side and shifts to hug himself, his face rolling across his hands, lips snagging as he closes his eyes and imagines those temporarily cold fingers are Spike’s lips whispering across his eyelids, fluttering across his cheeks and smothering his mouth with unbreathing kisses.

Connor thinks about the one or two girls he’d been attracted to - nothing serious. Nothing more than a kiss and a hand job in the car. The attraction had always seemed to vanish once he’d said goodnight. And guys? Some days – everything gave him a hard on, even that gay porno movie Stevo hired one time as a joke – fooling around with beer and chips. Both of them talked all the way through, and he remembered Stevo giggling,

“Can you bend yours, Man?”

The remote had almost connected with Stevo’s face – good thing the jock had hair trigger reflexes because Connor had forgotten to hold back. Would’ve been some bruise. And he was glad his Mom bought him those shapeless T’s so he could hide his cock – harder than a metal girder. But it wasn’t because he ‘liked’ guys. No way – an automatic response, sure, it made sense - to the groaning and fucking. Not the guys. Jeez, the spin cycle gave him a hard on – and he wasn’t planning on quality time in the basement.

Shit, he hadn’t thought about that in a while…pressing against his thighs… but… this was really bad, a vampire. If only Spike was just a guy! The smile that almost surfaced evaporated as a shudder of heat and want filled Connor.

How could he allow himself to even think about this? But what if he didn’t, what would he lose?

***

Can’t sleep.

It’s stopped raining at last, and Spike’s uncharacteristically still, lying fully clothed on his rented bed listening to the squawk of early rush hour traffic. He’ll have to move soon, he thinks, as he squints past his nose at the long taper of ash balanced at the end of his cigarette.

The blinds are shut tight, and he’s pinned a thick blanket over them for good measure. While in the darkness the vampire can see well enough, he can find nothing to distract him from the events of the night and nothing to delete his scent-memory which revisits the rush of Connor’s acidic adrenaline. Pre-soul, this would have filled him with the expected lust and joy. Now Spike is startled at how it arouses him.

He hasn’t turned on the TV in the week he’s been there. Hasn’t got time anymore, and an endless unlife suddenly seems too short – there aren’t the years to find answers, a purpose, a connection.

Spike draws on the cigarette then tsks when the column flutters to his chest. He’s not bothered that his clothes are still damp. None of it matters. Doesn’t feel cold, does he?

He steps off the bed elegantly and slides out of his jeans and long sleeved sweater, leaving them where they fall. He sidles to the window, stands back, wraps the edge of the blanket round his hand and peeks into the street. The vampire knows Connor’s routine only too well by now. A few early arrivals mill about, some of them stopping for coffee before class, enough for him to possibly lose sight of Junior, and he wouldn’t be able to scent him, would he? Too risky standing here - what the fuck’s the matter with him? He’s got a job to do, do it – leave!

Spike tucks the cloth around the window frame and briefly inspects the pins he’s used. Rushes everything because he doesn’t care anymore. Cloth could fall down, but he’s found that concentrating too much on anything always leads to trouble: stupid plans, even dumber infatuations and now this! He looks down at his semi-hard cock. Bugger! This was all he needed.

***

Connor’s hands aren’t listening to his mind’s protestations and won’t stop the soft passage down his neck. He tenses as they grip his throat for a moment and release a moan from him. Rolling on to his back, he pulls his feet towards his ass. Determined hands are free to snake down his belly and to his cock. Fuck! This was all he needed.

***

Yep, now he’s irritated.

The kid’s young – not too young. Same age as Dru, but the human’s not old enough for…all this ‘history’.

But, this is just a wank. Nothing wrong with a wank.

Time was a kid that age, with that attitude, he’d have hunted him down, made him beg for his cock and then come all over his pleading face before bleeding him dry. Now there was an image! Spike finds he’s vamped out, and he draws a sharp breath in response to his soul’s admonishments. Retreating to the bed, adopting a pose of mock relaxation, the vampire ignores his erection and extends lukewarm limbs, spreading pale legs wide and tucking his moist palms safely behind his head.

He wonders whether he should return to his sire. Git wouldn’t know if he made up some bull-shit.

“Yeah, yeah…doin’ fine. Needs a haircut but, you know, ‘chip off the old block’. Sends his love.”

A smirk when Spike imagines the look of despair and then panic as Angel realises Spike’s blown the whole thing. Sometimes he’s glad he doesn’t have a bloody reflection.

The vampire sighs as his hands find his cock again.

He pointedly focuses on his grandsire, casts his mind back to a week ago in the dark office as he mentally retreats from this current mess which somehow, knowing his bloody luck – was just going to get messier.

***

“You know, Spike, I miss the way you used to disappear without warning.”

“You wanted something? I was about to hit town with Lorne. Don’t s’pose it’s worth asking you to…” The moonlight caught Spike’s finger nails. They absorbed the light like rice paper as he took the glass of whiskey from his sire and draped his legs over the arms of the worn leather chair,” Yeah, thought as much.”

He didn’t press Angel. The brooding seemed to be on a different level lately, and not just as a result of the displaced path of Mr Guilt. Spike found that even he was affected by the older vampire’s mood. He waited, uncharacteristically sipping at his drink, afraid that a sudden word or movement would break the fragile sense of intimacy.

Finally,

“I’ve been thinking about Connor…”

So that was it.

“I let him go, Spike.”

There was no point in saying ‘you did what you had to do’. Spike knew Angel operated on ‘shoulds’ and ‘had to’s. His sire wasn’t the type of creature that needed reassurance - a quality that Angel shared with the far more fun Angelus. Spike still took pleasure in pointlessness and irritating those around him so,

“You did what you had to do.”

“What if…? Sometimes I…” Spike tried not to roll his eyes as he waited, “I miss him, Spike, and…”

“You need to talk?”

Angel stood, folded his arms across his chest and swung round the immense desk to Spike, who fought the impulse to drop to the floor at Angel’s feet. The mere presence and charisma of his grandsire still amazed him. Even de-fanged and in this unlikely setting, Spike never forgot his place in the pack – although he’d die before admitting to it without the promise of a good seeing-to from this diabolical beauty. And that hadn’t happened for decades.

“Surely you’ve got people on it. You must know he’s alright?”

“I know facts, like he’s at art school, hangs out, but…”

“Don’t see what it’s got to do with me, mate.”

Spike did see. He knew that humans with their spider web existences and transient family arrangements knew nothing. He understood. This wasn’t about college grades and friendship groups, it was about,

“Blood.” he said flatly.

“He’s not like other humans, Spike. He’s strong, demon strong and he probably doesn’t know what he can do… What if he hurts someone? What if he abuses that power?” Angel’s voice rose an octave, “Sometimes he used to make me so mad – arguing, sulking, questioning my every move. He never really trusted me!”

Spike watched Angel pacing about and dipped across to the drink’s cabinet as his sire passed him.

“He’s a hellava, stubborn…hey! “ Angel stopped pacing.

“What? Still counting the pennies?” Spike took a moment to smirk then gulped the JD, pouting in appreciation, “Kind of like the sound of the kid. Yep, I think I like him.” He poured another glassful and sank back into the arms of the chair.

“William…” Angel growled,

“Ooo, I always know you’re cross when you call me ‘William’.” Finally the JD was kicking in.

“You know something? It’s like having two goddamned teenagers. You can’t live with them…”

“…can’t live with them.” Spike finished pleased to see the broad forehead smooth as he was gifted a rare smile.

“And can’t help loving your children, whatever they do, however they choose to lead their lives.”

Spike peered into his drink, and the amber liquid swilled as he turned the glass, embarrassed by Angel’s rare admission, afraid to acknowledge it in case he’d misheard, but Angel was looming over him with his hand wavering above his childe’s blonde head.

“You know you really make me mad…” the hand resting gently on the stiff hair.

“I’m counting on it.” Spike bowed his head and leant against his grand sire’s thighs.

“Blood.” Angel whispered. He shook himself and pulled away, leaving Spike cold, embarrassed. “I wasn’t a good dad – I gave up too soon, too easily. He’s all alone.”

Spike shrugged.

“He’s got a new family. He doesn’t know about what you ‘had’ to do.”

“You don’t understand, Spike. This isn’t some guilt thing - I can deal with however much of that’s going around! This is about what he might do. There’s so much evil out there. What’s to say he won’t get in with the wrong crowd…” Angel slumped behind his desk again, his face dark, filled with contained despair. “And then sometimes I think, what if he hasn’t really forgotten anything…”

“Could be having bad dreams.”

Angel’s eyes were on their way to yellow.

“Not really helping, am I?” Spike said. His face softened.

“I don’t want you to talk to him, Spike. I want to know if he’s happy, if he’s got friends…”

“Friends?” The younger vampire didn’t bother trying to hide the scorn, “What’s the bloody good of friends?”

“Sometimes I wonder…”

Spike looked at him curiously. Angel’s hands, big and white against his black clothes seemed to be looking for a comfortable position.

“Family…now you’re talking!” Spike slapped his thighs and stood up with a forced sigh. “I want a car, old man.”

“Uh, that’ll be a ‘no’!”

“Well that’s bloody typical. I can be trusted – you need to keep an eye on your kid? I’m bored rigid. ‘sides, I’m kinda interested – want to see the boy for myself, want to see if there’s any family resemblance.”

“God, I hope not…” Spike heard Angel mutter as he swept out of the office, past Harmony.

“Call down stairs, will you love, I’m going on a trip!”

Part 5 - Reverie

reptilian eyes loom from gaunt features as the demon surges and tries to break through alabaster skin…

Connor really thinks about emptying his mind, aware he must be coming off as drunk or stoned each time he takes a deep breath, yet nothing seems to drive last night's smothering fantasy away for long. Closing his eyes doesn't help, nor does working tanned fingers into raw eye sockets, pulling the fast healing but still smarting skin roughly.

The bar's half-empty. It's still early, and thankfully there aren't many people to see the flush blossom around his neck when he's asked for ID. He's far enough from the university – no one he knows here to see what a jerk he is and no one else can possibly see the erotic images haunting him, sending flames of desire barreling through him. As long as he sits in this position, he'll be able to maintain some dignity.

"Cheers mate."

Is that a lurch of joy or fear that makes him sit upright? Connor blinks, tries to look unobtrusive and something like normal, squirming internally as icy eyes bore into him. He refuses to acknowledge the vamp – at least until his forming erection goes away. And shit – feels like it might be a long wait. In his peripheral vision, Spike collects change, slips it into his front pocket and lifts himself easily onto the stool. Does every movement this bastard makes originate in that undead groin? His face burns as he remembers again.

Connor's groin humps the air as he surrenders again, but this time through choice. Stronger than him, stronger…his fist pumps angrily, searching for answers, bruised knuckles tight around virgin steel, abrasive rather than soothing…

"What are you doing here? Everywhere I go, somehow we hook up. " Connor's lips clag together. Vampires can't read minds, can they?

"It's a small town." Spike looks directly at Connor causing a jolt of electricity to rekindle the almost dwindling erection. Connor scowls back "- maybe not," Spike continued, – "Truth is I just happened to be in the neighborhood. It's always nice to see a friendly face." He beckons towards the barman, "What you having? The way you dress, looks like you're not exactly rollin' in it these days…"

Maybe another drink will help. "Sure, just beer, sure…" Connor rolls the near empty bottle between his palms - the glass is cold, hard… fuck.

Transfixed, he watches Spike scan the room, sees him smile to himself at something he's noticed, someone he'd like to eat maybe.

"You're a great conversationalist, I'll give you that." Spike observes.

The vamp's mouth hovers at the neck of the bottle, and then he throws his head back to drain its contents as Connor's eyes fix on the vampire's Adam's apple. He didn't know vamps drank, other than blood that is. He'd seen the hot chocolate the vampire seemed so fond of despite the Southern California heat, but hadn't given it much thought before, hadn't been interested. Now everything Spike did hypnotized him, fascinated him.

More beautiful in profile than face on –Connor's furtive eyes hurriedly gulp the curve of shadow cast by Spike's dark eyebrow, then sweep the trough beneath the cheekbone ending in a petulant jaw like a question mark drawn in ash and tears.

"And when the hell you gonna shut up?"

Jesus, he was wrong - surely the vampire is more beautiful from this perspective with deadly, pale eyes luring you, winning you over. It takes a supreme effort to look directly into them, to see past eyelids that serve to seduce and reveal feeling. When Spike lowers those thick lashes, Connor fancies it's like a woman exposing her thigh for a hitchhiker. Stood to reason vamps needed to attract their kill, but this guy, he didn't really look hungry.

"We need to talk." Spike said, "You know, `big picture' and all that?"

"Can't see what we got to talk about." Connor leans forward all faux petulant when all he wants is to kiss that deadly mouth. "I don't have anything to say to a vamp."

"Even if I'm not like the other girls?"

Another giggle which Connor can't help thinking doesn't fit Spike's cool image. The vampire seems oblivious to his disapproving glare and pulls a cigarette from a crushed packet.

"You aren't supposed to smoke in here."

"You want to talk about my health then, `bout the lack of personal freedom in this state? Reminds me of sodding prohibition, it does. Well, you know what…?"

Somehow, Connor knows he is going to hear this anyway,

"What?"

Fuck. Spike leans a little towards him and his scent saturates him, stirring the human's cock. He shifts, wondering if the vampire can sense his arousal. If he does, he's choosing to ignore it or maybe he's confused, can smell the pheromones but can't pinpoint the origin - there are a lot of couples around them, a lot of flirting – early Friday night – everyone's got the horn. And he's missed what Spike was saying, something about rules. Some vampire hunter he is, one moment's lapse like this out there, and that'd be it.

"You want to show a bit of respect for your elders, mate. Weren't listening to a bloody word I was saying, were you."

"Elders?"

***

Missed that long coat – would have proved handy at this moment. Even thinking about Gandsod hadn't got rid of the hard-on the night before. Thinking about Angelus couldn't distract him now either. Family – the pull, the hatred, the desire…how Spike envied humans their calming breaths, their chemistry. Still, if he could breathe, he'd have a heart beat too, and it would be pounding so fucking hard he wouldn't be able to hear himself think.

Junior's a real hunter, brave, looking right at him. Yeah, he had blue eyes like his bitch of a mother, but that mouth, sneering at him…it showed he thought a lot of himself just like…a flood of resentment fills Spike at the thought of the two of them, how Darla and Angelus looked down on him. They thought he'd never cut it – sitting on the edge of the bed, another cigarette in his mouth, Spike strokes an aching hard on while his other hand lingers by his knee. He imagines Connor's hair swaying as he sucks…Umm, this helps. He's the master vampire these days. Nice fantasy this one – Angelus' son on his knees before him.

Greedy eyes hone in on Connor's hands. Spike registers a torn cuticle and a few smudges of paint; if Spike could have been bothered to concentrate he could have named the pigment but the kid keeps interrupting his train of thought.

"You aren't much older than me." Connor sips the beer, full lips pulling at the neck for a moment making Spike wince.

"Oh, I'm a lot older. I put it down to careful living and a good diet."

"You start grocery shopping in here, I'll kill you. Just so we're clear."

"And I'm supposed to be, what? Scared?" Spike beckons for more drinks. "Better steel myself, bit of Dutch courage." His hand waves across the bar, "JD, mate, two glasses and leave the bottle." He waits for the kid to produce some money but Connor doesn't move – hmm, the similarities keep on coming. "So how come you haven't dusted me yet?"

Connor shifts awkwardly, "Beats me…"

Spike places the unlit cigarette behind his ear. "I miss Mexico – you don't smoke there - it's a crime."

"How long you been a vamp? From the way you dress, the eighties, seventies? Jeez, man, before I was born!"

Small talk – the kid was being friendly – yeah awkward friendly, attitude.

"That's not so old for a vamp." Spike doesn't quite succeed in quelling his smirk. Yeah, sharp as a knife this one.

"Guess I've never had cause to talk to a vamp before. Hard to tell how old they are. What with them being so fuck ugly."

Spike's lips pull wide in amusement – wasn't finding yours truly ugly, was he?

"Kid, the clothes don't say anything. You get a really old vamp, he moves with the times."

"But not you."

"No. Not me."

"You don't think this is all kinda strange? Sitting here, talking to me - a human? Cos I gotta tell ya, I'm not comfortable with it. "

Hmm, that explained the wriggling.

"So go. Finish your drink and go."

***

"I'm not moving. I'm waiting for someone."

Connor is finding the strain in his pants too much. The more uncomfortable he feels, the more he wants to hit this vamp, and the more he wants to hit him, the more turned on he is. He leans to pick up his backpack, pulls it to his lap and pretends to search for something – needs to cover up. How can he leave? How could he walk even?

"I know your dirty little secret, mate. Know what you're hiding."

What?

Connor's hand slides guilty against the magazine he bought that morning. His voice hitches as he pulls out his cell phone.

"Vamp psychic – great."

Damn – he's forgotten to switch it on again –– what if his contact had tried to call? The guy wasn't exactly emotionally intelligent and had made it clear he didn't like making deals with "ass-wipe college kids".

The backpack keels over as Connor is momentarily distracted; it's caught by the vampire who doesn't appear to have moved from his seat. Their hands bump together for a heavy moment as Connor tries to snatch it from him.

"Let's see what you've got in here…a-ha..."

Fuck.

Connor hisses in relief when Spike doesn't pull the tiny package out. It must have slipped to the bottom of the bag.

"Spot of reading matter, eh?" They both hold fast. Spike searches with his free hand, "Hmm, Twinkies, poncey Russian book and…"

Connor examines Spike's translucent knuckles gripping the bag, so dry, still against his own clammy, shaking fingers. He softens a moment as he remembers he's in the presence of a demon and lifts his face; a little awed, he catches Spike's eyes. Another shudder runs down his thighs at the flash of tongue as if the vampire is tasting the pheromones between them, openly reveling in the human's discomfort. Connor's eyebrows knit as he tugs to release Spike's hold. The vampire has seen him – exposed, aroused.

Spike lets go and raises his hands in mock surrender.

***

Stupid twat – what's he getting into this crap for? Junior thinks he's seen the mag and not the package. That explains the hard-on - like he cares what floats the kid's boat. The drugs, well he'd have to deal with that another time.

Connor's eyes are blazing – good look – Spike likes it, likes this attitude, and his mind wanders again when he recalls a different expression he'd invented for Connor in his mind's eye the night before.

the vampire turns his attention to the space on the rug where Angelus' son `kneels'. As he rubs his cock furiously Spike imagines Connor craning to check with worried eyes, the human needs to be reassured that he's pleasing Spike yes…and the vampire would make the kid work hard, that was it, wait till he was really close before he gave Connor anything – make him appreciate who the fuck he's dealing with.

"Listen to me, you filthy demon. You come off like you're my long lost uncle or something – I don't want to talk to you, only thing I want is to..."

Hmm, seems we have what the Californians call `issues' – Spike decides this isn't the time to talk. Truth is he'd promised Angel there wouldn't be any talking at all, but the drugs—that was something that would need settling, and Grandpa wouldn't want precious hanging out with lowlifes. Spike also hadn't expected the boy would know about vampires – humans were so blind, only saw what they wanted. He scanned the bar again, raised his eyebrows at a group at a table nearby. He was used to the looks, came with the hair, sometimes he wondered if it wasn't cos he was such a babe – he smirks at the Americanism, maybe they can sense he's different – dangerous different. Bugger, the kid won't stop talking will he? "It's taken me a few months to get this but I know who I am. I kill your kind. I oughta waste you – think you're clever trying to tell me what to do".

Ah, the kid's pissed off now with nice rush of adrenaline that acts on Spike like an aphrodisiac. To his horror the buried memory of Xander Harris surfaces, how that particular human had gone through this same routine: insult, blows, bravado, more insult – till he gave it up – shit they both did. Get a fucking grip – this was business…Spike notices Connor looking over his shoulder. Someone he's expecting by the look on his face, better retreat, keep an eye on Junior from a distance. Spike stands, leans close so he can make out the slight discoloration on Connor's face where he received a blow the night before.

"I've been thinking – not so much your uncle – way I worked it out, and believe me it's complicated, more your `cousin'."

The bag slips to the floor.

Part 6 –Likeness

Less than half an hour after Spike leaves, a tipsy Connor parks his car crookedly behind the nightclub where he's arranged to meet Stevo. It's still early but the music spills through the walls at full volume. His friend stands against the fire exit nodding to the rhythm and leaps towards Connor when he spots him.

"Did you get it??"

Connor sighs at the loud question. He fights an overriding compulsion to shake Stevo and knock that centre stage confidence out of him. Instead he nods once, steps out of the Land Rover then pulls the back door open. In the semi-privacy of the back seat, Stevo grabs his friend's backpack.

"Hey! Calm the fuck down!" Connor wonders why his belongings seem to have become toys for everyone, although there's no resistance from Stevo when he reclaims his bag. He can't help comparing this to the thrill he felt when Spike taunted him by holding his ground earlier and he looks away from his friend as his cock automatically stirs.

"What? What you being so secretive about?" Stevo whispers sarcastically.

Connor roots around and tosses the baggie into Stevo's lap. He finds he's scanning the alley, tells himself he's on the look out for vampires. After all, it's been a few hours, and he really needs to kill something. He wonders whether he could use Stevo for bait when he glances at his friend, sees him rolling a pill between forefinger and thumb,

"I fucking love you, dude." Stevo's leg bounces up and down with excitement.

"Put that away, someone will see us." This was said more from a desire for privacy than any need to remain this side of the law; fear and respect for authority, demons even, had disappeared over the last few months.

A snort. "It's dark. Who's gonna see? You should try this stuff…" Stevo waggles his tongue, apparently thrilled that the pill is stuck to the tip," might make you see life ain't so bad – least for a few hours." He holds the damp pill again. "Gimme something to wash this down with."

Connor wonders if having known Stevo since kindergarten was actually a good enough reason to not break his back. He pulls himself up on the head rest and leans into the front seat to grab a bottle of water from the foot well.

He freezes as Stevo's hand snakes up his inner thigh.

"What are you doing?" Connor doesn't dare move until he's made a conscious effort to control the rage pumping him full of adrenaline. Don't overreact, friends right? He reaches round and punches Stevo's arm. The jock exclaims and watches amused when Connor settles as close to the door and as far away from him as he can.

Vampires, those Connor can handle, but this guy with his mixed messages…

"Hey, I'm just messin' around."

So, that's ok – just being a jerk. Shame the contact made Connor so hard.

"What else you got in that bag? Lemme see." Stevo lunges for the back pack again.

"You piss me off royally, you know that?" Connor peers up and down the alley again and decides he doesn't care if his friend looks through his stuff—until he hears the sound of Stevo leafing through the mag. "Will you look at that!" Stevo slides low into the seat and giggles. "Put the light on man so I can get a better look."

"Jerk." Connor's tone is flat, resigned. He folds his arms across his chest and gazes out of the window - wonders if Spike might come back – bastard cleared off the second the guy turned up with the goods.

"You offering? Cos I gotta tell you, I'm fucking hard right now. Hey, Conn…" Stevo's nodding a little as the pill starts to take effect, "I'm hard…come on…" The large hand reaches for Connor.

"You're forgettin' something." Connor's voice is low, controlled, "We're guys."

"So? I'll close my eyes, and I know you don't give a fuck. I mean, this ain't no cheerleader." Stevo presses the magazine to Connor's face, "Cheerleaders I like, but I'll make do. Come on, dude, before I split my jeans already." Connor doesn't shrug off the tightening grip around his arm and allows himself to be pulled a little closer. "We've jerked off before – what's the diff?"

The difference was that before he'd held his own cock – they were like two kids in a sandbox playing, ok jerking off, alongside each other. In the darkness, if Connor half closes his eyes, if he squints at Stevo's albeit natural blond hair – well it could be him. Him. A wave of lust forces Connor to fumble at Stevo's groin as the magazine slides to their feet. Stevo moans, parts his legs and relaxes as Connor furtively pulls at the fly zip.

"Hey, take it easy…" Stevo gasps as unnaturally strong fingers grip him. Spike wouldn't want him to be gentle – he wouldn't need to hold back like this with him. Connor's eyelids fall shut, and he imagines the vampire's eyes, causing him to moan despite himself and shift so he can get a better angle. Stevo bucks against the sudden increase in momentum, "Fuck, fuck, that's… keep going…fuck, fuck…" Connor shuts out the voice, inhales deep and brings back the scent of the vampire so unlike the trace of sweat and locker room squirming against him. Adrift in the memory, Connor finds his lips parting - so close to kissing, breathing in the undead stillness. Would it be like this? Would he know what to do? Would Spike breathe this heavily? Connor is startled when he feels Stevo still for a moment, "I ain't kissing you, man, no fucking way." Suddenly the heat from the other man's all too human cock seems to burn Connor's hand, and it's all he can do to keep the rhythm.

"You going to come or what?" Connor grumbles.

"Not if you keep talking." Stevo pushes into Connor's fist, frustrated by the friction in the wrong place, wrong tempo, "You haven't done this before? But you've thought about doing this to… fuck yeah… me, right?"

"No and no." Connor says truthfully. Wearily, he pulls one last time, and Stevo hisses as he comes, lifting his ass off the seat, covering Connor's hand and sleeve with a flood of semen.

"Man that's gross!" Stevo chuckles, pushing Connor away unceremoniously, in a rush to zip himself. "But, thank you…I guess."

"Sensitive lover." Connor's disappointed cock throbs still as he uses his left hand to pull out a Kleenex before he tosses the evidence through the window.

"Hey!" A dark figure leans against the car, "Yours I believe." Black varnished nails hold the soggy tissue aloft. Connor swears his heart is pounding so hard now that Stevo must be able to hear it. He has no doubt that the vampire can.

"Pervy Punk Guy." Stevo says behind him, "Take a hike, creep!"

"Shut the fuck up, Stevo. This guy's a friend of mine."

"Hey, creep! That true, you two widdle fwends?" Stevo's giggling, nodding in self appreciation.

Spike glances at Stevo, who is well and truly stoned, and raises an eyebrow. The vampire straightens, and Connor can hear the faint click of the Zippo "You should know - my friend has a hell of a temper…" Connor tells an unconcerned Stevo.

"What? That little guy?"

Connor smirks, half hoping that Spike's hungry – this would satisfy two cravings – to get rid of his friend and then his need to kill. But when he turns to look, Spike's vanished, the sweet smell the tobacco dissipating in his wake. Had he been he waiting for him? He winds down the window some more and cranes to search for the vampire.

"Where's your car? And you owe me cash, man…"

Stevo waves wearily, "Somewhere…"

Connor gets out and walks round the back of the car. He pulls Stevo's door open. "You need to go – I got stuff to do." Not caring that Stevo's probably not fit to drive. "Come on, get the fuck out of here!"

***

A few yards away, Spike grinds his cigarette into a wall and slams his fist hard into the brick. Fucking kid! What was he playing at hanging out with that tosser? And the drugs – was he taking them too or was this just a little work to help through college? Fuck what would Angel say?

He searches in his back pocket for the vibrating cell phone. Great.

"What?"

"Spike?"

"Who else is it going to be, you wanker?"

"I haven't heard from you…"

"Well, I got nothing to say." Spike pouts.

"You've seen Connor? How is he? Did you talk to him?"

"I recall something about not talking to him…"

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Spike…"

Spike always felt warm inside when the Irish brogue resurfaced – meant he was rankling Granpa.

"Spike- answer me!"

"Wasn't aware there was a question, mate."

Spike hears Stevo's car pulling away. Guy looked stoned – hope he ends up in ER. Oo, phantom-chip moment. Spike touches his temple automatically and grins when he remembers. No harm in wishing ill on a twat like that – why should humans get all the fun? He's zoned out, and Angel's voice filters back to him.

"Spike if everything's ok, come back. You're needed here."

Spike frowns. "Sire, I need to stay a few more days."

A long pause while Angel considers the change of tone, the reference to family. Spike takes this time to consider his hand. For now Angel knew nothing and no damage had been done. Spike knew very little about the circumstances that led to the memory-wipe, and he hadn't bothered to ask – he'd never been able to get close to the souled version of his grandsire. but his need to protect his own was reason enough to wait. If the spell was unravelling, if Connor had even a hint of his past, he would have to prevent…

"Tell me, Spike…"

"There's not much to tell. See there's this hot chambermaid at the place I'm staying. I fancy my chances, and I could do with a bit of fun. God knows there isn't any to be had at Wolfram and Tart." Yes, continue with the snark, deflect the older vampire.

"Spike, I can't deal with him remembering. Whatever it is you have to do, do it and come home. I need you here."

"He doesn't remember a thing."

"What? Have you talked with him, I expressly said…"

"I know what you said, Angelus. I haven't talked to him. He's a regular kid, and he doesn't know anything about his family, who he is." Maybe the snark was ill-advised, after all. Spike grits his teeth. But the kid knows about vampires, feels he has a mission to kill them – where does that come from? How long before one of them tells him something about Angelus? How long before he meets an old one who recognises the Master Vampire's scent?

"And that's good. It's what I wanted…"

"It is. The kid's happy, nothing like his Dad, nothing like his Mum. I mean, if he had anything of you in him, he'd be able to sniff out a vampire if he got close and I've been close, I stood right by him at a coffee house and he didn't so much as look over. I want to keep an eye on this kid he hangs out with; you know the type, big fucking shoulders, thinks the world revolves around his dick. I got a feeling he might be getting Junior into the wrong crowd is all, want to satisfy myself."

"But he's ok, not getting into trouble?" Angel's voice is thick with emotion. Spike realises he needs to appease his sire before he decides to find out for himself.

"Trust me, you don't have a thing to worry about. He's a normal kid, Angelus." Bugger it, he couldn't resist, "He bought a magazine today, you know the kind I mean…?" Spike giggles helplessly and switches his phone off; the delightful sound of his Sire's swearing music to his ears.

***

Spike appears from the shadows of the alley behind the bar as Connor expects.

"You alright, kid? Row with your boyfriend?"

Was he being nice? No he wasn't being nice, head thrown back, tongue nestling for a split second near his deadly incisors.

Connor watches the vampire saunter towards him each step along an invisible tightrope between their groins. Then he's close – really close so he can smell blood on him. He's fed recently. Connor starts back and reaches for the stake wedged in the side pocket of his khakis. He hesitates – something odd – the blood doesn't smell right.

"You gonna do it now, Junior? Do I need to have a last smoke?"

"You've fed."

Spike frowns. "Connor…" his voice a warning.

"How do you know my name? Why are you stalking me? What the fuck is this?" Connor's hand scissors around Spike's throat, and he holds him against a wall. Spike doesn't struggle. Instead he places his hands slowly, deliberately on the human's shoulders. Connor frowns, inspects the diaphanous skin and turns towards the teal eyes. "Do I know you?"

Spike's fingers loosen their grip as Connor relaxes his hold on the vampire's cool throat. He watches Spike's lips part, and Connor fancies the vampire's eyes flicker to amber for a moment as he waits. Connor's fingers take on a life of their own as they move slowly towards the dip at the vampire's throat. Any moment now the vampire will stop him – he seems to consider it for a moment, but now his groin is pressing into Connor's thigh making the human's back arch.

Lips so close now. "I can smell the blood. " Hard when he thinks of it, furious too. He wants to kill this bastard. Gentle finger tips find the neck of Spike's t-shirt. The vampire looks like he's sunk into a warm bath, shocked yet soothed he raises his mouth, parts his lips, daring Connor to move. Unafraid, Connor tugs at the cloth and brings his lips close to Spike's, so close to the mouth of a killer…

***

Spike forces his eyes to stay open, quashes the fear reflex that wells up in his throat as he locks eyes with Angelus' son. He flinches as Connor's hand releases its grip on his throat and guides him closer. Maybe not such a good idea, maybe he should stop now before…and as his eyes close, he feels the warm lips, tentatively touch his own. So long since he's been with family, so long since Drusilla, and the irresistible scent, the sense of who he is and where he belongs forces his hips to meet Connor's, to come home, as the human's warm tongue breaks through the last vestige of common sense and connects with his own, and like Narcissus, the glimpse of his own distorted reflection, the pull of family, lures the vampire into the depths. Spike finds his hands have slid under Connor's sweater, and he marvels at the fine muscles under the surface. Aware this boy could snap his head off with one movement if he only knew he could, Spike draws the eager tongue further inside him. His eyes start open when it brushes against his incisors for a second, as sensitive as the tip of his cock. He gasps in surprise. Forgotten this – forgotten the feel of a man. So long, so good, this heat, this strength. Connor's arm is crushed between them still at the neck of his T, and Spike pushes him away for a second then guides Connor's fingers towards his belly.

end chapter 6