Title: Professor Giles

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: Joss and JKR own them.

Rating: PG-13 to R

Pairings: Giles/Ethan, mostly

Summary: It's time for Buffy and Willow to find out about Giles' life before



Professor Giles
by Kate R.


Sunnydale.

It was two months after Xander had gone with Giles to the St. Mungo's place. They were having a picnic to celebrate the end of the school year and it was a beautiful day. Giles had told Xander that Ethan's son Percy was coming to spend the summer here with him, well, part of it anyway, and then they would reopen Rayne House. Ethan said it was time someone lived there again and it would be better if he lived there with his son. Giles knew he'd be visiting often as well. He and Ethan being a couple and everything, they would need time together.

"Hey, G-man," Xander said, "Can you pass the soda?"

"Haven't you had enough caffeine?" Giles asked gently.

"Never Skeletor!" Xander cackled evilly as he grabbed the Mountain Dew and downed it.

Giles shook his head and sighed. It was so much easier when the children were raised to behave. So much...

"Hey!" A voice bellowed across the park, "Professor Giles!"

Giles turned around quickly and just felt his jaw dropping. He had been expecting Percy, yes and maybe even one of the oldest boys, but not both the oldest boys and the girl. What was going on?

"Professor Giles?" Willow asked.

"I'll tell you later," he said. He smiled then and got to his feet. "Hallo William. Charles. Good to see you again Percy. And who is this?"

"This is Ginny," William said. He had long red hair pulled into a ponytail. He wore clothes that swung more to Muggle standards but Xander knew that wasn't leather he was wearing in boots and vest, it was dragon hide.

"Uh, we sort of need your help, Prof. Something happened to Ginny at school this year. Something bad."

"How bad?" Giles asked as he looked down at the girl and her haunted face.

"The guy who hurt Ethan?" Charles said.

And Giles cut him off. "His name, Charles, say his name. Do not give him power of you. Use his name and take power from him."

"Voldemort then," Charles said. His diary...We're sure it was Malfoy that put it in Ginny's books and he possessed her, a curse on his diary that help his 16-year-old self and Ginny got snared by it. We don't know how to help her. We thought you, being the greatest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we ever had...well, we were hoping you could do something...anything...to help her. It's like he still has a part of her and we don't know how to get her back."

"I will try to help her, Charles," Giles said as he looked down at the girl.

"Cool. Is professor Rayne around?" William asked.

"In his shop on Main Street," Giles said. "You can find him there. Take Percy over, alright, Charles?"

"Charlie," he said. "Gads, only my mother ever refers to me as Charles. Same as Bill there."

"As you wish," Giles said. "Here is Ethan's store address. I need to talk to Bill and Virginia…Ginny I believe you like?"

The girl nodded and Giles watched Charlie and Percy head off.

Then, he got to his feet.

"Come on, library and research time," he said a he started off.

Xander cleaned up his mess and followed, same as Buffy and Willow did when they realized Giles was heading off someplace without them.

"Giles!" Buffy whined. "Who are they and why are they calling you professor anything? You're a librarian."

"Actually, he's the best defense against the dark arts teacher we ever had," Bill said as he dropped back a few steps. "No one is better than Professor Giles at DADA. I mean it took Professor Rayne to fight him to a draw in our dueling classes and stuff."

"Only because Ethan knows me, Bill," Giles said. "Ethan can anticipate my every move, every attack and plan. That's just the way he is."

And Giles said nothing else as they headed into the school.

Nothing else at all. Buffy was irritated.


END PART 1