Title: Memories Are Made

Author: Kate R.

Disclaimer: not mine and they never will be. That honor belongs to Joss

Rating: PG-13 to R with some NC-17 Flashbacks.

Pairings: Giles/Ethan

Summary: Giles helps someone, remembers something and corrects something.


Memories Are Made
by Kate R.


She was running, trying to keep distance from them. She didn't want to go back. It hurt too much. She couldn't find Willow to ask for help she couldn't find anyone and then she had remembered the nice man, Mr. Giles. He could help her...maybe.

"H-hello?" she called entering the shop he owned.

He came out of the back and looked at her and she was suddenly over come by fear as she sensed them.

"Tara?" he asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Dddon't llet them tttake me bback. Please? I'm ssso scscared," she whispered as he she fell to her knees in front of him.

"Who?" he asked as the door was smacked open.

"Get out here, devil child!" An older man bellowed. A younger man with him came in and tried to grab Tara.

"She's my daughter, Mister," the man said to Giles. "She belongs to me."

"She's 18 and can make her own decisions," Giles retorted. He didn't know everything that was going on but something about this was setting off an alarm in his head. Something familiar.

"She belongs to me!" the man yelled. He went to grab Tara and Giles reacted catching his hand and twisting it.

"She belongs to herself," he growled. "You can take yourselves off my property and get out of this town. Tara is 18 years old. She can decide for herself where she wants to live and with whom."

"She belongs to me!" The man roared and Giles saw Tara crying and he snapped as what was niggling in his mind suddenly exploded into the front
and he remembered.

"Never Again!" He roared throwing the man away form Tara. "You will not touch her again! She is Mine now! I will protect her from any and all who would harm her. Even her own bastard of a father! I won't Fail again. Never Again!"

Tara watched in shock as her father and brother tried to rush the gentleman that he knew as Buffy's Watcher and then she found her mouth dropping open as he single-handedly beat the shit out of both her father and her brother. For her. He was doing this for her.

"Now," he said ten minutes later after beating them both bloody. "You can leave. An' if I ever, EVER, see you near Tara again I'll sodding kill you both! Now, get out!"

Once they were gone, he got Tara to her feet and gave her a hug and she realized he was a good man. A bit tough and somewhat distant, but a
good man all the same.

"M-Mr. G-Giles?" she asked. "N-never a-again? Fail again?"

"I failed someone," he said after a moment of silence. "I failed him so badly it isn't funny. I'll find him after we get you settled in my guest room. It's not safe for you to go back to your campus yet."

Tara nodded and followed him out of the shop, which he closed up, and to his apartment. He led her in to a guest room where there was a single bed, made up as if expecting guests.

"This room is yours for as long as you like," he said. "You can shut the door and no one will come in unless you say they can. Now, I have to go get someone so I'll leave you to settle in."

He turned to leave and she grabbed his arm.

"No!" She cried. 'I want.... that is....Please, let me g-go with y-you? I w-want to h-help."

Giles considered for a moment and then nodded. She got into his car with him and they drove. The entire time he only had one thought going
through his head: "I'm coming, Ethan."



abelard950@aol.com