Title: Key Protector

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: not mine, never will be. Those honors go to Joss and Davis/Panzer.

Rating: PG-13 to R, Slash

Pairings: Read and find out.

Summary: The Key is threatened and things are revealed.

Notes: Crossover with Highlander: The Series.


Key Protector
By Kate R.


"GILES!" Dawn screamed as she saw the spear go through him. "Nooo!"

Her scream of fear echoed over the overturned motor home and she screamed as she saw the knights approaching. She screamed loud and long and something happened. Something very strange and intriguing:

Electricity seemed to arc off of Dawn, a storm seemed to be building and a wind picked up. Storm of lightening and finally, those watching began to hear that Dawn was screaming a name. Her scream of the name was loud and held out until the lightening began to pound out and cyclone down, seeming to build something as it went. One word, one name: Darius.

And in the blast of power Dawn's scream had released, a man appeared. He was tall and pale and shirtless but he was armed. And as soon as he processed what was going on, he swung the sword at his side up and around, blocking the thrust of a knight and whirling it over his head to cut the edged whip of another knight.

"I'm pretty sure I warned you all about this the last time you tried to take the Key from me," he said as he swung the sword again.

"D-D-Darius?" one of the knights squeaked.

The man was poetry in motion and he soon had all the knights that had been stupid enough to attack them dead or on the run. He stopped and looked down at Giles who he knew the children surrounding his Key could tell had died.

"Come on, Ripper, wake up. I don't have time for this shit. I need to know what's gone on since I died."

Giles came back with the sharp gasp of pain and the inhalation as his body healed and he looked up at Darius. "You died," he said to Darius.

"Yes, I dare say I did," Darius replied. "And while we're on the subject, my I juts say 'Ow! Sonuvabitch! Shit, dying hurts'?"

"Well, you're back now. So....what do we do?" Giles asked. Darius looked at Dawn and sighed.

"We go to Seacouver, Washington," Darius said. "We get in contact with The Old Man, and then we deal with Glorificus. Afterwards, I find any member of my former order still alive and I beat them bloody for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty." Lets get to shelter. I'll send for a car later."

"That works," Ripper told him. He saw the others staring and he sighed.

"Can I explain after we get someplace Spike wont combust into flame?" he asked tiredly. The Scoobies nodded so Darius picked Dawn up easily. She let him because she was tired and she trusted him.

"Woah re you?" Buffy asked.

Darius chuckled as they walked. "I am Darius," he told her. "I am the Key Protector."

"Holy Shit," Xander said as he recalled a prophecy he'd skimmed in one of Giles' books. "Holy shit."

And they decided to wait for that story too. For now they had to get to shelter. For now.



Seacouver, Washington

Adam Pierson, A.K.A. Methos, the oldest immortal, was drinking a free beer Joe had given him. It had been really quiet and he was in a "Not talking to MacLeod" phase and so was not concerned about anything in particular when there was a shockwave of power released somewhere that he felt.

"Oh, my Gods," Methos said as he got to his feet after being thrown across the bar. 'Darius." And then he grinned and looked up at Joe. "Can you hold on to this for me? I have to take a trip."

"Where are we going?" Joe asked emphasizing the we.

"Sunnydale," Methos said as he got up. "We're going to get Darius from where he just reappeared. Go pack."

Joe left and when he came back found Methos pacing and muttering.

"I should have known," the Ancient said. "He always kept The Key with him. No Quickening. Means The Key absorbed him. Damn that had to be hefty magic. Off we go, Joe," Methos said as he sensed him. "We have to race against the idiot knights now. It's down to you and me getting there in time to get Darius."

Joe nodded and they went out to the car and got in. Methos began, riving them South and hoping they got there in time. Time had to be on their side. If he knew where Jenny was he might just call her. If he knew where she was.

______________

Driving up a road in California, a lone Motorcyclist stops as she feels the power surge of a Quickening. Turning, she heads her bike in the direction of the power. Not sure why it feels familiar, but it does. How remains to be seen, but she knows the power. Somehow.


END PART 1