Title: Glory Be To The Father

Author: Kate R.

Rating: PG-13 to R

Summary: Suppose hank wasn't Buffy and Dawn's father?

Notes: CSI Crossover

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein. CSI and Buffy belong to their creators

 

Glory Be To The Father
By Kate R


Prologue: Letter to the Past


"Is Grissom in yet?" Sara asked as she arrived at CSI that morning.

"He's in his office," Catherine answered. "He said not to disturb him right now. He said he had something important to do."

"Really? Wonder what it is?"

"No idea," Greg said. "He just said to leave him alone right now and he'd be with us---."

"I have to go," Grissom said from the doorway of the conference room. "I'm sorry but I'll be away for awhile."

"What? Where are you going? Why?" Was the general barrage of questions thrown at him as he stood there looking a bit on the pale, shocky side.

"California," he answered. "And it's personal. Nothing you all can do to help except stay here and keep this place running. I’ll---I’ll call when I get there."

He turned and walked out of the room seeming to be in a shock and Greg got up to follow him.

Something was wrong. Something was really, really wrong. "Grissom?" he called as he entered the office. "You okay, boss?"

He touched his superior's shoulder and froze when he realized Grissom was shaking as he turned to look at him.

Greg, I---." Grissom said just before he seemed to fold in on himself. He looked so totally lost as he just broke down and cried.

Greg had no idea what to do or what needed to be done beyond getting Grissom into a chair because regardless of being the same height, Grissom was heavier. "Boss, what's wrong?" Greg asked. He saw the letter and he scanned it choking when he read what it said:


"Dearest Gil,
By the time you read this I will most likely be dead or very close to it. I'm writing now because I need your help. I need you for this hardest thing. You, not Hank because we both know Hank is the worst in situations where things are serious. I've written you about Buffy and her destiny, I wrote you about Dawn and where she really came from and why. Now, I need you to do this one last thing for me. I need you to guard Dawn. It’s something the monks put in my head about her. Something You can do to help keep her safe. I know I likely have no right to ask you to do anything for me, Gil. I know I hurt you when I forced you to have to choose between me and something that was a part of you. All I can say is I am sorry and I hope you won't sacrifice our daughter if you are angry with me. She needs you, Gil. You can keep her safe, the same as I could, from this thing that wants her blood.

You are her Father, her Daddy and she will need that tie, that strength to be protected. Buffy doesn't know Dawn's Parents were given the ability to protect her. Buffy doesn’t know a lot but she and Dawn both know about you. They both know I am the reason we aren't together and they both know you love them. I beg you, Gil, don't let Dawn die. She is your daughter and she needs you now. I never stopped loving you Gil, Joyce"

Greg set the letter down and looked at Grissom who seemed to be calming down finally. "When do we leave, boss?" Greg asked.

Grissom started to argue but Greg just looked at him. "You can't even pack for yourself right now, boss. You have to let me help you. So, I ask again; when do we leave?"

Grissom opened his mouth, closed it, and then released his breath in a sigh. "As soon as possible," he answered. "We leave as soon as possible."

 

Chapter 1: Remember, Travers

"So, this is why we’re here, boss?" Greg asked as Grissom knelt by the fresh grave and laid flowers on it. He shook his head.

"Only part of the reason. I have something else to do here. Something that requires I stay here until an event has passed. Something more important even then work."

"Like what?" Greg asked.

"Daddy!" A voice cried.

Grissom turned and caught the dark haired blur that jumped into his arms. "Hi sweetheart," he said to her. "Where’s your sister?"

"At the Magic Box. I came with Spike because Buffy doesn’t want me to see her knock Mr. Travers’ teeth down his throat."

"That asshole is back?" Grissom asked.

The girl nodded and he released her to look down at her scared face.

"He’s going to make Giles jump through hoops for the information he has on Glory. Buffy doesn’t like that idea."

"I don’t like that idea either, Dawn," Grissom said. "I thought he’d remember what I said the last time he bothered my family. Oh, Greg, this is my younger daughter, Dawn. Dawn, this is Greg."

"Hi," Greg said to her.

Dawn grinned shyly and nodded.

Grissom took her hand and they joined the bleached blond waiting for Dawn.

"Can you take me to The Magic Box?" Grissom asked.

Dawn nodded and led them through the cemetery with the vampire acting as guard and to a store on the main street of Sunnydale.

"This the place?" Grissom asked.

Dawn nodded and so they simply walked in the door. The man Gil Grissom hated the most was seated being
lordly to the others in the shop.

"If you want this information, Miss Summers," he said. "You will do exactly what I want, when I want."

"I seriously doubt that," Grissom said.

And Greg found himself staring.

The Boss’ face was ice cold as he walked into the room.

Dawn was standing behind him looking scared and the man being a jerk suddenly paled.

"Hello, Mr. Travers."

"G-Grissom," the man squeaked.

And the squeak had Buffy and an older man both grinning.

"I thought we had this conversation once about you trying to blackmail, badger and otherwise Bully my family? Do we need another lesson?" Grissom asked.

Greg snerked. He’d seen Grissom do this once before and that experience led him to hope and pray Grissom never got that mad at him. The Second time around was proving to be just as educational.

"Now, here’s how this is going to go, Mr. Travers," Grissom said. "You are going to tell my daughter and her chosen Watcher whatever you can about Glory. You will tell them now and you will stop this stupid little intimidation game of yours. In case you don’t realize, you do not intimidate me. I never have been as you remember, and I never will be. You are nothing but a self-important idiot who thinks you can bully anyone into doing what you want. I know I warned you once: Not. My. Family."

"Daddy?" Dawn asked.

Grissom smiled and brushed her hair back gently before he moved and backed the man against the wall.

"Buffy and Dawn buried their mother today. I have to tell you, pissing me off on this day of all days was the absolute worst thing you could have done. And badgering my daughter today was the way to go about doing it. Try it, Nigel and I will not Miss as Buffy chose to. I’m not in the mood, I’m not playing and I’m not tolerating. Start Talking."

Travers, the Jerk, Greg had christened him, took one look at Grissom’s face and started talking.

This Glory thing was a Goddess? OH, shit. And Grissom was going to stay and help deal with it? Double Shit. And, what the hell was a Slayer anyway?

"Daddy," Buffy said once everyone from the Council was gone.

Grissom hugged her much as he had Dawn in the cemetery, and then looked at the group surrounding them.

"The orb thing," he said. "Where is it?"

"Here," the red head known as Willow said.

Grissom took it and it flared as soon as it touched his hand. "Dawn, so long as I have this, Glory
cannot hurt you. Okay?"

"Okay, daddy," Dawn said. She knew he was her father, the same as he was Buffy’s. She knew he loved her and she knew he could and would protect her.

"Excuse me," Giles, the chosen Watcher said, "But, how did you know about that?"

"Yeah," the dark haired young man said. "And, uhm, who are you?"

"My name is Gil Grissom," Grissom said. "I’m Buffy and Dawn’s real father. And as for how I know about this? I know the same way Joyce knew. The monks had a protection in mind for Dawn in blood of her parents. That would be Joyce and I. So long as one of us is with her, she is safe. Joyce---Joyce can’t be here anymore. But I can and I am. And I’m here for you too, Buffy. If you want me."

"Please?" Buffy asked.

Grissom nodded and hugged her again.

"Now, Greg and I need to find a place to sleep tonight so---."

"The House," Buffy said firmly. "No member of my family or their friends sleeps in the hotels in this town. It’s entirely too dangerous."

Grissom nodded and Greg followed him as he trailed her to the house. Greg drove the car but Grissom seemed to want to walk with his daughters. Greg figured they were discussing things and they both seemed to want to hold on to him. Greg figured he’d be filled in on more in the morning. At least, he hoped.

 

Chapter 2: Explaining to CSI

"GRISSOM IS WHERE!?!?" Brass screamed from the conference room where he had met with CSI to discuss why Grissom had not called in if he was leaving. "Why didn't you all call me and tell me?!?!"

"He said there was nothing we could do but to stay and keep the ship running," Nick said. "Why? Why does him being in California bother you?"

"None of you know? He didn't tell you?" Brass asked

"Tell us about what?" Catherine asked.

"About what he had to go to California for." Brass said.

"No," Nick answered. "He just said it was personal and he'd be in touch. Of course, that was three days ago."

Brass sighed and sat down. He knew he had to tell them and he damned Gil silently for leaving this to him.

"Okay, first and this goes no further than this room, understand? Go get Doc."

"Sure Brass," Warrick said. He went and brought Al back to the conference room and sat. Brass looked them all over.

"Not a word of this goes past these doors," he said. "Not even a syllable."

Everyone nodded so Brass took a breath.

"Grissom has two daughters," he said. "If he got a letter from their mother, that is the Only reason he'd go to California. Something must be wrong with Joyce."

"He looked like he was in shock," Nick said. "I mean he looked upset. Greg went with him because he was that much in shock."

"Damn," Brass muttered. "When did he call in last?"

"The day he left. He called from the hotel he and Greg stayed at that night," Sara said. "Why?"

"That leaves 2 days unaccounted for. Nick, Go find them. I know he said Joyce lived in a small town called Sunnydale. I'm worried, Warrick. Before you even say a word, do you know how bad things have to be for Joyce to send for Grissom? Something is wrong. Something is very, very wrong."

 

Sunnydale

"Dammit," Grissom muttered as his hearing cut out. But, this was a good thing. He knew the minions that looked like diseased rat people were suing sound to hurt people. Good, he could move then while the others could not. He moved suddenly, running at the rat guy holding the statue and slammed into him, knocking the statue to the floor and the high, agonizing sound simply cut out much as his hearing had. His hearing came back then and he looked down at it and the statue it ahd been using.

"Damn Hellmouth," he muttered. He knew Greg was getting more confused by the minute but there had been no time in between the idiots wanting Dawn dead and Glory's minions to explain to his young friend about the Hellmouth and the supernatural/mystical side of his children's lives. The fact that he knew about it was confusing Greg. He knew the younger man was seeing a new side of him that scared and confused him but Gil Grissom did not really have the energy to spare in explanation right now.

"Greg," he said. "I promise you when we have time to breathe, I will explain all about Slayers, Hell Mouths and Demons, Vampires and everything else that is not supposed to exist. But, right now, I have things I have to deal with."

"Okay," Greg said. He'd gotten handy with a stake and cross real quick since the first night they'd been here but Grissom knew it was going to take more than that to stop Glory. He knew it was going to take him willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for her girls.

He had not told anyone about the vial of Joyce's blood that was on a chain around his neck. He did not tell them about the last plan he would enact if worse came to worse. He did not tell them he had already figured out how to stop a portal should glory open one. He knew it would just upset them and right now they all had to stay focused on the matter at hand.

"Give us the Key," a knight of Byzantium yelled.

"Burn in hell, Grissom retorted. He was wearing scary guy face and since thee was only one he decided to leave and come back with others. Discretion being the better part of valor and all.

"Lets go home, girls," he said to his daughters. The other Scoobies and Greg followed. Dawn knew what she was now but Grissom refused to let her think less of herself. She was his daughter and that was the only thing that mattered. Everything else was just labels and window dressing. Grissom had made Dawn see it and had threatened Anya, the bigmouthed ex-vengeance demon if she made one crack about Dawn. The girl obviously realized Grissom wasn't kidding because she'd kept her mouth shut.

Grissom sighed as he lay down on the bed in Joyce's room.

"I'll take care of them Joyce," he promised before he fell asleep. "I'll protect them no matter what the cost. I swear." He kissed the vial of blood and lay down. He was tired and they had much to do tomorrow. Tomorrow, come hell or high water, they stopped Glory. Tomorrow.

 

Chapter 3: The End Of The World

"It's the End of the World as we know it," Grissom muttered to himself as he made his way up the scaffolding to the top of the tower where his daughter was. Buffy was fighting Glory to give him time to get up there. He knew. Something told him it was all down to him. He moved as fast as he could trusting Greg to take care of himself. Trusting Greg to do what he'd told him to do.

Grissom got to the top of the tower and froze as he saw the knife cut Dawn. He roared and threw Doc off the tower. He was between Dawn and the portal. The things coming through it made Tiamat look nice.

As he looked at what was coming through and preparing to do one last thing for Joyce, he thought about how this had happened.

Damn those knights! If they had't attacked none of this would be happening.

The knights had injured Giles as they tried to escape Glory. They had been heading to LA because it was easier to hide people in a big city. If need be they would have gone to Las Vegas where Grissom had the home field advantage.

Of course, Buffy had had to call a doctor and Ben was the only one she knew.

Dammit if only it had been anyone Not Ben. Ben was Glory they'd learned. Ben was the on who had to die.

"Dawn!" He heard Buffy call as she got up there.

Grissom turned and looked at his daughters and then at the portal that was open. He looked down to the ground and saw Nick and Warrick and Brass as well as Greg. He knew Sarah and Catherine had to be there as well.

No time, he knew. No time for any of it.

He looked at his daughters and smiled, stopping Buffy with a hand on her shoulder.

"This isn't for you, Buffy," he said. He looked over the edge and then back to his girls and smiled. "This isn't something you have to do or need to do. Not when there is someone else. Come here, one more time."

"Daddy, no," Dawn whispered as she hugged him. She was in tears but Grissom knew it had to be him.

"Baby, you have a family now. You don't need me. Travers won't bother you again. You have Buffy and Giles and Xander and Spike. You have Willow and Tara and Anya even and your friends in LA. You have them all, baby. You don't need me."

"B-but," Dawn sobbed. A blast came from something and Grissom shook his head.

"I have to go now, baby. You'll always be my Girls and I am your father. I have to do this for you. I love you both. Take of each other and your family. You wont find anything more precious than that which you've made. I love you."

He turned then and walked to the platform taking the vial of blood out of his shirt. He looked down at the mass of swirling light and swallowed. He knew his team was likely shouting but he couldn't see or hear them over the light and the noise. He trend and looked one last time at his daughters standing hugging each other and then....He stepped off the platform.

Chapter 4: I Feel Fine

"GRISSOM!!!" Nick yelled as he saw Grissom step off the platform into the mass of swirling light that things were coming out of. He heard the others all yelling as they saw what Grissom had done as well. Brass stood his jaw working as he saw Gil fall into the light. No, not fall. Grissom hadn't fallen. He'd stepped into it. He stepped into it to protect those two girls who were staring.

"DAMMIT! GIL! You idiot!" Brass screamed finally. He knew though it wasn't stupidity. It was a father's love for his children. He stared as Grissom fell out of the other side of the portal. It looked like he was unconscious though so at least he wouldn't feel when he splattered himself all over the ground.

"Grissom," he heard Warrick whisper next to him.

He looked and saw Catherine was in tears and Sara was trying to fight them. Greg was staring with his jaw hanging as Grissom plummeted towards the ground.

Then, there was a rush of air as someone ran past them. Someone in a long black coat was heading as fast as he could. He moved faster than humanly possible. He ran and they all stared, as he seemed to run up the side of the tower and then jump. He seemed to hover and then he wrapped his arms around Grissom and then rolled so Grissom was on top of him and used his body to cradle the body he was shielding as they slammed into the ground together.

"ANGEL!" Brass heard the girl he knew to be Buffy yell.

"I'm still undead," the man groaned. "Someone better get over here though, this guy ain't breathing and I can't do mouth to mouth."

Nick was there in an instant doing mouth to mouth with Greg helping to do chest compressions. They worked with Warrick calling the rhythm and then Grissom took a breath as his body responded to the efforts to revive it.

"Gris?" Warrick asked. "Can you hear me? How do you feel?"

"Hear you, Warrick," Grissom said weakly. "And I feel.....I feel fine."

Then he passed out.

OOO

He drifted in darkness thinking. Silence was good for finding the answers to questions. He'd done it, he knew. He'd closed the portal. He was tired but he knew it was okay to rest. He'd let the darkness take him as the pain from the portal ripping through him had become too much. It was okay because his girls were safe. They had each other and they were safe. He'd done his job and done it right. He'd kept his promise.

"Gil," he heard as he drifted there in the darkness as his body plummeted towards the ground. "Gil, it isn't time for you to die."

"Joyce?" he'd whispered.

She was there with him floating in front of him in the darkness.

"Gil, they still need you. Your team and our daughters, they need you. It isn't time, Gil. Someday but not yet. Live, Gil. Live for our daughters."

She'd kissed him then, one last embrace and them he was gasping and choking on air that was being forced into his lungs and there was Warrick's face and voice asking him if he could hear them and how he felt.

"I feel, fine," he'd answered a he thought of the last touch of Joyce's hand on his cheek. A promise for someday. He could live with that. He could hold on until Someday.

"I feel fine."


Epilogue?

abelard950@aol.com