Title: For The Asking

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: not mine. I have never owned Barnabas Collins or Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. Those honors go to Dan Curtis and joss Whedon. I'm not going to hurt either one either. I'll give them back when I finish relatively unharmed.

Rating: PG this is Schmoop I think is the words or is it Shmaltz?

Pairing: Wesley/Barnabas (Duh)

Series: This is Barnabas reflecting like Wesley was in the Ficlet Hurt so part of the You Can't Change Who You Are universe Lyrics belong to Sarah Evans


For The Asking
By Kate R.


"Lying here with you
Listening to the rain.
Smiling just to see
A Smile upon your face."

He lay in bed with Wes pressed against his side. Wes liked to be held it seemed and he really had no problem doing this for him. He had no problem with any of the things he did for Wes like smiling just so Wes could have an excuse to smile back. It was something they did for each other. Wes was tenetive about this but he'd slowly reached out and he had initiated this so Barnabas was willing to give as much as Wes would take. Of course, these musing had been begun by his "Cousin" David asking him what he wanted for Christmas. How could he tell the by what he wanted was right here in his arms? Right here, next to him.

"These are the moments
I thank God that I'm alive.
These are the moments
I'll remember all my life.
I've found all I've waited for.
And I could not ask for more."

He reflected on Wesley and the way he just fit. These moments, these quiet moments were the best for the two of them. These were the moments that made him give thanks to a god he was certain had long ago turned his back on him. These moments made him glad he still existed and lived even though he had been tired at times. He smiled as Wesley shifted and he thought idly to what he'd been waiting for all his life and unlife. Thinking about it, it hadn't been Angelique or Josette and it hadn't been Maggie or Vicki or Julia. It was the man lying against him. It was Wesley. What more did he need if he had Wesley?

"Looking in your eyes
Seeing all I need.
Everything you are
Is everything in me.
These are the moments
I know Heaven must exist
These are the moments I know I all I need is this.
I've found all I've waited for
And I could not ask for more."

He thought as he held Wes about the feelings when he looked into his eyes. Wesley's eyes were like a perfect mirror for him even if he had no reflection in any other surface. He saw himself clearly in Wes' eyes. And Wes showed him he was not a monster.

Wes often said if Barnabas was a monster than so was he because everything in Wes was everything in Barnabas. They almost seemed to share a soul. He had everything he needed in Wes. Everything. These moments, these hours and these times were everything he had ever needed and they told him that heaven existed even for one such as him. It had to exist for it had seen fit to give him Wesley. He looked down at the sleeping man and smiled to himself. Wesley was all he needed in life and all he would ever need. There was nothing else he would need to ask for. Nothing else he even wanted.

"I could not ask for more than this time together
I could not ask for more than this time with you.
Every prayer has been answered
Every dream has come true.
Yea, right here in this moment
Is right where I'm meant to be.
Here with you
Here with me."

He smiled as Wesley shifted and tightened the grip around his waist and just held him. Wes did this a lot and Barnabas had gotten used to it.

He knew Wes was making sure he was still there but it made him glad to know that Wes needed him. He smiled thinking that these times together were the best to him and it seemed to Wes who often asked if it could just be them. Willie would smile good-naturedly, start the fires in the fireplaces and leave them alone for the night. He said he was glad Barnabas was happy and that Wes was healing in Barnabas' arms. To be honest so was Barnabas himself. Wes had been so broken when he first arrived that he was glad his simple act of love was enough to heal him. He was also glad for other things. Things like the fact that Wes was not afraid of him if his fangs extended or anything. Simple things.

"No, I could not ask for more
Than this love you give me
Cuz it's all I've waited for…"

Things that spoke of love that was enough to warm even his cold heart. Of course Wes said his heart had never been cold, just sleeping. And Wes was glad his love was waking it up. He said he was glad his simple acceptance and love was enough to make Barnabas reciprocate. As if that was even needed? How Wes thought he had to give everything to get even a little Barnabas did not understand but he promised a slow and bloody end to the person or persons who had done it. Wes was all he'd waited for and he wanted nothing else in the world. Not even for Christmas.

"And I could not ask for more."


END