Title: Death Ascendant

Author: Kate R.

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein. Xander, Spike Et. Al. belong to Joss. The gods are anybody's game; the Heroes belong to Ren Pics

Rating: PG-13 to R+ (maybe)

Summary: Death Ascends the Hellmouth

A.N. Playing with the gods a bit here. Thanks all

Archive: Asphodel if you like. My site, AJCS if I can work it right. Anyone else, let me know and sure.

 

 

Death Ascendant
By Kate R


Roaring, howling winds for hell blew through him as he fought. It was nearly done. Just this last one and---There! A voice behind him and he turned. Standing in front of him was his brother.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "Shouldn't you be running the Mountain? What are you---" the words cut off with a gasp of pained surprise and then agony as the sword was twisted into him. He screamed in agony. "Why?" was the only word he could say as the sword was twisted again and again until his guts were a mess. Then the chains as he was chained to the very portal stone and the energy began to burn through him.

"Goodbye, Brother," was said as the man left. He would have said something but then there was a rush of power as the portal seal was cracked and the dark energy began to tear through him. His screams echoed down through time until there were blue eyes.

Bright blue eyes that held both death and compassion and he was suddenly with that being. Spike he was called. Spike was of the children of Lust. Yet not. Something was different about him but what he could not say. Who was this creature that had pulled him to himself? Who was this 'Spike'? He would find out soon he supposed. None of his family could hear him, at the base of the portal stone his dog, Cerberus, stood guard. Protecting him from any who would hurt him to release more power.

And so his body rested. His mind seemed to be in two places. With Spike and here. Wherever here was. Wherever Spike was. He no longer really remembered. His world had been pared down to his dog, his pain and Spike. Spike who asked the oddest things of the power that flowed through him.

"Protect the Slayer, let her win," was one. "Let her mother always have good health until she's old and ready to die," was another.

He chuckled at a few other requests, allowing the power to grant them. The Soul of his Sire was made permanent for him. He was tired now so he rested, waiting until he was needed again. Waiting until the power was called on again. It took energy to do this from this far from Asphodel but he would do his best.

The soul had been easy. As had preventing a few death. Now he was tired. He just wanted to rest for a while. Just rest. For a while.



Chapter 1: Summoning

The dream came again that night. What the hell was he seeing?


Spike staggered out of the bed he shared with Dru gasping. Sire, Dead. Slayer, Dead. Watcher, Dead. Joyce, Dead. Witch, Dead. Sorcerer, Dead. Werewolf, Dead. Cheerleader, Dead. Hell on Earth. Stop it. Move.

Spike gathered his clothes, looking one last time at Dru before leaving knowing he would not be back. "Have a nice life, baby," he said as he walked out to his car and drove off. He was being called back to the Hellmouth by that voice. He knew that voice. It had been with him in times of trouble since they had gone to Sunnyhell originally. It called him now and he did not refuse to answer. For all it had done for him, he knew it was time to do for it.

"I'm coming, mate," Spike said as he drove like a mad man up the highway and back to Sunnydale. "I hear you and I'm coming."

In all the time the voice had been there, all the things he'd done for Spike like restoring Angelus' soul before the Acathala mess got out of hand, to summoning the Sorcerer to come and get the Watcher, never had the voice asked for anything in return. If the voice wanted him to come help in Sunnydale, help fight whatever this was, so be it. Spike would come and they would fight.

Spike would not see his Sire or any of them dead. Especially not the Whelp---The Whelp? Where had that come from? Spike pushed it to the side, as he was just about to hit Interstate 95. Almost there now.

Three days on the road but almost there. He would have to eat soon. He was hungry. He drove like crazy into the town, through the welcome sign and to the High School.

Nearly there.

Spike slipped into the library through the stacks and once he was sure everyone was gone, he walked to the center of the floor where he knew the Hellmouth was.

"I'm here, Hades," he said. He’d put a name to the voice by one of the titles that went through with the power. "I'm here."


OOO

"---Here, he's here. Thank the fates," he thought.

He wasn't sure if Spike could hear him from that far away. And Spike knew his name. Thank all the gods; Spike had answered him. He reached through the link he had with this special creature and touched his mind. He shared what he knew to be coming and Spike nodded. Spike knew him; he knew Hades would not have called him without good reason.

"Ill be waitin', mate," echoed along the link. "I'll be in my place and waitin'. Reach for me when the time comes."

Hades released the bond to begin gathering strength. Gods willing, the plan would not be needed. Gods willing, he and Spike would be enough to stop this creature. "Gods---"

OOO

"Willing," Spike finished the thought as he turned to go. He walked right into his Sire, a tall young man he didn't know and the Watcher. "Buggering Hell," he muttered as he saw the crossbows aimed at him.



Chapter 2: Explaining

"Bloody hell, Peaches," Spike growled. "Can you please get that thing out of my face? I ain't here to hurt anything. 'Smatter of fact, I'm here to help."

"You? Help us? Right," Giles said sardonically.

Whoa, Ripper was out Spike thought.

Angel lowered his crossbow though. "He's right," Angel said. "The Mayor hates Spike. He’d see him dead in an instant. If Spike is here, he’s here to help."

"Himself?" Giles demanded.

Spike turned then, suddenly angry. "What of it if I am? I don't fancy the end of the world. I like this world. People and music and things. I like onion blooms and such. Don't think I'll be finding those if whatever happens, happens. Besides, I ain't here strictly for myself. I'm here for a friend."

"You don't have any friends," Angel said icily.

"Ain't that what you said to the Sorcerer when he came for Rupert, Peaches?" Spike asked. "It ain't any of your business who I'm here to help but if you need a name and face, say Joyce I'm here to help. Whatever you need me to do, just bloody well tell me!'

"Fine," Angel growled. "Don't make me regret this Childe. You're with Wesley and I and the students until the eclipse. Then we all fight to destroy the mayor and army of vamps he has. All right? I'll give you a weapon to use when it's time."

"Yes sire," Spike said bowing his head in respect of the elder vampire.

Angel nodded. Spike had acknowledged him as Sire; the younger vampire would not betray them. Giles nodded to himself as he and Wesley went back into his office where they had been when Spike came in. They and Ethan were going over spells. Giles had asked Ethan to make Chaos for the Mayor's minions tomorrow and after the sacrifice being children, Ethan was more than ready for a little payback. He loved babies and children. They were Natures' Chaos makers. He would be damned before he saw them fed to any demon. That included the one the Mayor wanted to become.

Outside the office, Angel was sitting facing his Childe. "What's going on, Spike?" he asked. "You were speaking to the Hellmouth."

"No, Sire," Spike said. "I was speaking to someone trapped in the Hellmouth. Who isn't important right now, just know this: He’s on our side and he wants the mayor stopped. No matter what it takes. He called me back here."

"He did something for you, didn't he, Childe?" Angel asked.

Spike nodded as he sat swinging his legs on the table. "He gave me your soul, free and clear. No clause, no fear of the nutter getting out again. Just you, forever," Spike told him softly. "This was the first time n all the time he’s been tied to me that he’s asked for something back. I came b'cause he asked me to and I'm here b'cause he said he needed me to be here in order for his plan to work. Gods Willing, blowing up the school wont be necessary."

"What is his plan?" Angel asked.

Spike sighed. "I don't know, exactly. Just that he needs me to be as close to the Mayor as possible for it to work. He’s sure it'll work Sire. He’s sure. I had t' come."


"I understand, William," Angel said as they stood to spar a bit.

Angel stopped suddenly. "My soul is permanent? Free and clear, never to be taken again?"

"Yep," Spike said as he saw the joy on his Sire's face.

He watched as Angel turned and ran into the office. He blinked when he saw him kiss the younger, thin, dark-haired man full on the lips after telling him something. Spike smiled as Angel told the Sorcerer and the Watcher the same thing and saw the smiles on all their faces. This was good. This was what had to happen. Everything was back on an even keel now.

/Very Good, William, / echoed in his thoughts. /Very good indeed. Everything is indeed back on an even keel now. Excellent/

Spike chuckled. He suspected the closer he was to the Hellmouth, the easier it was for Hades to speak with him.

"Spike!" An angry voice shouted.

Spike sighed again as he saw the Slayer coming after him.

"Oh, Bugger," he muttered.

"Buffy, No!" Angel roared form the office.

She stopped and looked at him with Wesley leaning against him looking as stunned as she felt. "Why not?" she almost whined.

Angel sighed and grabbed her arm. "He's here to help us. You told me yourself why he helped you stop insane-o me."

"Fine," Buffy sighed angrily.

First she loses Angel to Wesley of all people and now Spike was back. Speaking of Angel and Wesley---

"You can't make him happy, Wesley," she said. "If you do, psycho vamp will return and you'll be the first person he kills."

"Actually," Spike said easily, "IF that could happen, you would be for insulting his mate. His soul is permanent. It was bound by a power stronger than your witch or any Gypsy Curse."

"How would you know?" Buffy demanded.

Spike simply looked at her and smirked before going and picking himself out an ax. "That's my secret to keep, Poodle," he said as he picked up a whetstone and sharpened it finer. He repeated the process with a railroad spike and then chuckled when Willow, the Witch, and Xander, his Whelp, came in.

Angel and Giles explained everything and while they were going over last minute plans, Spike waked to he center of the floor and knelt down again laying his hand over the center of the Hellmouth. "Everything is ready, Hades," he said. "Everything is---"

OOO

"---Ready. Excellent, William," Hades said as he gathered more power, now pulling from Asphodel itself. He looked down at Cerberus and for the first time in 2,000 years, he spoke aloud. "Go to he who is of my power. Help him when the time comes. Then return to me," Hades told the dog.

Cerberus nodded and waited. When the time came, the dog would do his job as well as Hades and Spike would do theirs.

Hades was hoping to fulfill two goals. One was to destroy the Mayor and the other was to recharge Olympus. He knew it would not be enough to free him this time. But there would be enough to save his family from dying of power drain. That he would gladly give.

One last thing and then he could sleep. Reaching with a little of his power, he sought one mind he knew was still on earth. One mind that he could call through blood but not with his voice. Hercules could not hear his voice, he did not have the 'Bit of the dark and sinister' that Spike did to allow the connection of the Dark God of the Underworld to his mind.

"Hercules, Come!" he called, pulling on the line of blood. "Come now! I know you are in the town. Be ready and be watchful. Evil comes to claim the world again. A hero is needed. Be ready!"

He knew Hercules would only have a feeling of being needed but right now, that was good enough. Hercules would be where he was needed to be. Hades then pulled into himself and focused only on his connection to Spike. That needed to be built upon. Soon, they would battle. For now, they would both rest.


Chapter 3: Graduation Day


It was early and Spike paced the library. Always coming to rest in the same place. Waiting to be told by whomever he was speaking to where to go. Angel watched his wayward child from the shadows. Every so often, he would stop and smile at something, or nod or snicker. Angel would have given his eyeteeth to know what was amusing his childe so much. Oh, well, it was keeping him from tensing up which was good.

"Dead boy," Xander said from beside him. "Whom is he talking to?"

"His friend," Angel replied. "He's talking to his friend. Not a word, Xander, if it weren't for this friend he wouldn't be here and we'd be short some muscle. Is everything ready?"

"Yeah," Xander said as Angel went to the shadows after touching Spike’s shoulder to bring him along.

"Everything's ready I hope you guys are too."

Xander got his robe on and went out to wait with the rest of the class. The Mayor spoke and then his ascension started.

"Be ready, William," Spike heard in his mind. The energy began to build and swirl around him and suddenly he was running into the fray killing vampires as he went, catching Larry before he hit the ground and broke his neck.

"Live," Spike said in a voice not quite his own. The teen looked at him confused as he sat up healed. Spike shrugged and waded into the fight, saving those he could, blessing those he could not, until he came face to face with the Mayor. He shoved Buffy to the side and stood facing the Mayor even as the blond stranger he saw pick up and throw a huge piece of metal made his way over to help. Spike chuckled and he suddenly had an eerie feeling of a double exposed negative as a huge torrent of black energy swirled up and around him. Then there was blackness after a brief touch of reassurance from Hades. This was the plan and Spike suddenly understood. Hades was going to face him, through Spike, yes but Hades would face him nonetheless.

OOO

He was waiting for the time to be right. When it was, he threw his power up through the earth and had it seek Spike. When it found him, Hades sent his consciousness with it. When the two collided with Spike, he touched Spike’s mind and asked his permission for what he was going to do. Permission was granted and suddenly, it appeared to be Lord Hades standing in front of the giant, demon, Mayor/Snake.

"Hello, Richard," Hades said as he summoned his own sword to his hand. He saw the look on the mayor's face and so did all those who saw the Mayor. Those who saw him just stared in shock as he raised his hand and pulled power into it. A deadly, black charge filled his hands and Hades released it at the Mayor. It struck the demon in the form of fifty gigantic black lightening bolts leaving the Mayor/Snake on it's back staring at him.

"I am the Lord of Death!!" Hades shouted. "As I say, will it be done. I have judged you, as your humanity is dead. I judge thee TARTARUS!"

There was a thunderclap of power and the Mayor was simply gone.

Angel stared at him slack jawed for a minute and Hades chuckled.

"Be at ease," Hades said. "I am only borrowing his body. He will be returned to you presently. I just wish to be sure there are none left here who can be saved"

Angel nodded and Hades walked through the rubble. He found a few and granted them life. Children had a lot of life left to live. Then, he turned and walked about making sure the Mayor was truly gone. Finally he looked up and extended his right hand. He made eye contact with the blond stranger and smiled at him.

"AWAKEN!" He cried to the heavens.

OOO

There was a humongous shockwave of power that knocked everyone to the ground and when it cleared, Hades was gone. Spike lay on the ground in the shadows where he ahd been thrown by the power surge. Giles and Ethan stood with Angel looking at the charred ground where the Mayor had stood in his demon form.

"Oh---" Angel began.

"My---" Giles continued.

"Gods," Ethan finished.

"What the hell was that?" Buffy exclaimed as she stalked over to them.

Angel helped his mate sit up and stared at her.

"It was Uncle Hades," the blond stranger said. "Saving your Asses and a lot more people than would have been otherwise. You should be really thankful he’s here--- somewhere."

"Why are you here?" Giles asked.

"I think he called me," the hero replied. "Not in words like he did his vessel over there, he called me through blood. My name is Hercules and he wants me to stay and help you as much as I can. Until we can find him and get him free of where ever he is, I will."

"He means that much to you? And what did he mean 'Awaken'?"

"You'll know soon enough, Mr. Giles," Hercules said as he began to move rubble. "Hades knew what he was doing when he did it so you'll know soon enough."

"Thank you for helping us," Xander said. "And thank him too. Spike? You Okay?"

"I'm fine, whelp," Spike replied. "Just a bit tired. Just like he is. Just a Bit---"

0OO

"---Tired," Hades completed as he hung once again in his prison.

But it was done. His family would live and he had stopped something bad. He was tired now. He needed a rest. Just for a while. A rest.


Segment 2: Glory and Freedom

Chapter 4: Dream Summoning---Again


Blond hair, slut looking, terrible imitation Aphrodite, death, pin, death, pain, Death!

/William! / Called into his being and Spike sat up confused. He felt the pull and after a moment, he recognized. He sighed looking down at his Xander in the bed next to him, and slowly got out of bead and dressed. He slipped out of the apartment not seeing Xander get up and follow him. Spike made his way to the Library and to the center of the room where the Hellmouth was. He knelt down and placed his hand in the center of the design, palm flat.

"I'm here, mate," Spike said softy. "I'm---"

OOO

"---Here. Thank you for answering," he said to the vampire.

Spike chuckled along their link and waited. "I'm guessin' you called me for a reason?" Spike asked Hades.

The Dark Lord of the Underworld chuckled and waited for Spike to settle. "Something is coming. Something that feels like a tainted Olympian. Something very bad. She seeks something she must not be allowed to have, William."

"Will we have to do what we did last time?" Spike asked.

"I do not know," Hades, answered him as he shifted in his bonds. "Perhaps I may be freed after this. I do not know. It all depends. I will be with you though. I will call you when I have learned anything else. Warn Giles. Tell him to call the Sorcerer, your sire and his mate and if at all possible, Ask Hercules to summon Ares. You will need War in this. What she wants, the Key, only War can see it before she does."

"All right," Spike answered him as he pulled back. "All---"

OOO

"---Right."

"Spike?" Xander asked from the shadows.

Spike turned to look at his mate and sighed. "We gotta call sire, mate," Spike told him. "And get Rupes and the Sorcerer. Something is coming. Something bad."

 


Chapter 5: Explaining---Again.

Xander and Spike were sitting in the Magic Box talking a few hours later. It was just the shock Xander had had seeing Spike talking to the Hellmouth and knowing the reason was going to be bad.

"So, how do we tell Giles?" Xander asked.

"Tell Giles what?" came a voice from behind them.

Xander looked at Spike. "Oh, shit," the dark haired youth said.

"Tell Giles What?" he asked again.

Xander looked at Spike who sighed.

"He called me last night. Something worse than the Mayor is coming. He said to call Ethan, Angelus and Wesley back. We'll need them," The bleached blond said.

Giles simply stared for a moment before he slowly walked to the phone in his office and called Angel and Wesley and then called another number. He got Ethan who appeared in the shop a moment later.

By that evening, everyone was there. Buffy stared at the group suspiciously. Anytime Spike wanted everyone together, she didn't get to be the hero. Hercules stood off to the side watching. Something told him he had been called for a reason.

"He spoke to me again," Spike said as he looked at Hercules, Angel and Giles. "He said something that feels like a tainted Olympian is coming. He said for Hercules to Summon Ares to find the Key. He said something about only War being able to see the Key before Glory does. It's real important that War be here."

"Okay," Hercules said as he closed his eyes and called with all his soul.

There was a deep blue flash and Ares was just there. Dressed head to toe in black leather and carrying the great sword of War. He looked at Hercules, reading his thoughts on all that had lead to his summoning. He says one word that sums it up and Hercules pales and everyone else stares.

"Glory."

"Glory," Spike thinks. "Who is---"

OOO

"---Glory?"

"She is evil," Hades thinks as he rests, beginning to gather strength. "Evil, William. Find the key. Only you all can keep her from getting it. I am with you. Do not forget that. I am---"

OOO

"---With Me," Spike finishes with a smile. "He says Glory is Evil and we'll need War and Herc here to stop her."

"Then we will," Ares says with a smile for his half brother.

Hercules smiles back and they get books down to begin researching.

"We ain't tellin' the council about Hades, Ripper," Spike says suddenly. "I won't allow them to hurt him. And you know they'll want to."

 


Chapter 6: the Key and the Hell Goddess

Dawn Summers looked up as she walked into the Magic Box. Giles had three jobs as well as being Buffy’s Watcher. Dawn knew he sang nights in a club. He owned the Magic Box and he was still the school Librarian. But only in the morning. In the afternoon he was here. On the Weekends he was at the club singing. Dawn was humming as she made her way into the Magic Box and just stopped. There, standing before her, was one of The Most Gorgeous men she'd ever seen. Course, he was way old for her but damn, the man was H-O-T-T Hot.

"Hello," he said as he looked at her. He leaned down and touched her forehead and Dawn just stopped.

Suddenly, she knew things. Knew everything about herself and who she was and everything.

"Whoa," then she looked at him and grinned as she launched herself into his arms. "Ares!" She cried happily. "You found me!"

"Indeed I did," the big man said. "Now we have to keep you from Glory."

"Okay," Dawn said softly.

Ares smiled as he looked down at her. "Call your mum here okay?" he said.

Dawn nodded and called home. Joyce arrived a few minutes later. She had known something was up for awhile and she liked to know what so she could help. The assortment standing waiting was a shock to her but she sat and listened as Giles patiently explained everything to her. She sat and listened as everything was explained and then looked at Spike.

"Thank you," she said hugging him. She understood what his wish for health was. He had saved her from the brain tumor she had. Spike gave a bashful smile. They were sitting around talking when a blond crashed into the store. Ares was on his feet and holding her by the throat in an instant.

"Not in this lifetime, bitch," he hissed as he tossed her across the room and back out the window. "You will not win."

"Yes, I will," she hissed. "I'll win and I'll destroy Olympus. You won't stop me this time, Ares."

"I don't think it's me you need to worry about Zeus," he said knowing as he had for centuries exactly what Hades' plan to stop Zeus bend to insanity had been. "If I were you, I'd be a tad more worried about someone else slamming your ass. You might want to go now. This is going to get ugly in another second and I will hurt you if you don't leave now."

Glory left and Ares sighed as he leaned against the wall.

Hercules touched his shoulder gently.

"He will be freed, Ares," Hercules said. "I don't know how but we will free your father from the Hellmouth."

Ares nodded, trusting his brother now as he could not while Zeus was influencing Hercules. Somehow, they would find away to free him. Somehow.


Chapter 7: Death Ascendant

The tower and Dawn was terrified. They hadn't been expecting her to let the knights hurt Giles. They should have known. Of course, they hadn't expected for Glory to be Ben either but that had happened as well. Dawn was scared. She was terrified and she knew no one would come for her. Dawn was crying when faced with Doc when Spike was suddenly there. Fighting with Doc but he was different. He was glowing with power and there seemed to be more than Spike there.

Doc stabbed Spike in the back and started to throw him off the tower.

"NO!" Spike yelled as he was shoved. "NOOO!!!"

OOO

"NOOO!!!" Spike screamed as he fell. His scream of denial surged through Hades snapping the chains that held him bound to the Hellmouth and his power surged up, through the Hellmouth, through the floor of the high school library and then out to the tower. The explosion of power froze everyone.

He grabbed Spike before he hit the ground and then he appeared in front of Doc. The lizard tongued demon stared at Hades and paled. He shot his tongue out at the Dark lord of death and then began to scream as Hades caught and then pulled his tongue right out of his mouth. Blood fountained and Hades stood there. Striking Doc dead with a thought and then gathering Dawn and Spike to him and transporting them all down to where Buffy was fighting Glory.

XXX

"ZEUS!" Hades bellowed as they landed.

Buffy rolled away from Glory and he/she/it stared at Hades standing there in the full King of the Underworld regalia. Hades' hand shot out and wrapped around his brother/sister/thing's throat and squeezed.

"Did you think I would allow this, Brother?" Hades hissed angrily. "I had no choice in how you treated my children. I was not strong enough then to stop you. However, you sealed your own fate the day you locked me in the Hellmouth. A place of Death, you stupid bastard. I am the God of the Dead. That place fueled me. Are you really that stupid? No, wait, of course you are. Why else would you try to take a Key when the door you needed was trapped in the Hellmouth? Yes, Zeus, I exiled you from Olympus. Even trapped I had the power to do that. Even had you succeeded in cutting Dawn all it would have done was brought you to me. Fool."

"H-Hades, brother---." The Glory/Zeus said.

Hades did not relax his grip. Instead, he summoned to his hand a dagger that Zeus fair near screamed like a woman when he saw.

"Burn in hell, Zeus," Hades said as he stabbed him with the dagger. "Burn in hell and stay there. You lose."

Once Zeus fell to the ground, Hades destroyed his body. Then, he leaned against the wall and took a deep breath. That had been taxing. But it was done now. Done and gone and Dawn was safe. That was all that mattered. He was free now, Dawn was safe and Zeus was dead. He could rest now. Yes. He could rest.

Finally.

It had come to pass. Death was Ascendant. The True King of Olympus was going to return to the throne. And the world breathed a sigh of relief.

 


Fin?