I Love you Dead Boy part 14 - The Prophecy

Author: Belynda

Fandom: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Pairing: Xander/Spike/Angelus

Rating: NC-17

Series: I Love You Dead Boy

Feedback: belindat@ihug.co.nz

Web site: http://slasharchive.simplenet.com/belynda.htm

Archive: Deadboy and Xander, Buffy Angst archive, anywhere else, ASK first. I have forgotten where they are all located.

Disclaimer: Not mine, Mutant Enemy owns all but my ideas.

Summary: The Prophecy is about to come true. Can anyone stop it in time?

Notes: I am at my worst in this one. It is dark, violent, sad, very angst filled. There is a death in the story, but this is fiction. You know, were the dead will rise again? And of course this is about vampires so don't go thinking it is a "dead" death. Unbeta'd as usual.

Personal note: Thanks to everyone who sent me notes of encouragement during my time away from the net. Things are looking up. Oh, and my server deleted all my e-mail that I hadn't had a chance to down load. So if anyone sent me anything in the last two months, I didn't get it. Sorry. I am now able to check my e-mail more regularly now. And know that I always do respond to feedback. So if I didn't respond, I didn't get it.

Thanks: B.J. thank you so much for taking over CKoS, and being a friend when ever I need it. I couldn't have gotten through the last few months without you.


I Love you Dead Boy part 14 - The Prophecy
By Belynda



Xander woke to the sound of his watch alarm going off in his ear. *Not a good way to be woken up in the morning*, Xander thought and stretched. At least he tried to. Taking a bearing of the situation, he smiled. Spike was pressed up against his front, his undead arm wrapped around Xander’s waist. Angelus was cuddled against his back, his arm tucked under Xander’s, and gently stroking the teenagers nipple with his thumb in his sleep.

It was very nice to wake up and know that you were loved. It had never happened to him before meeting Spike and Angelus, and he sure as hell wanted to feel this way again. Slowly he relaxed back into the bodies of his lovers. Just when he was about to fall asleep again, his watch went off again reminding him that he had school today. Sighing, he gave up on sleep, and spent the next several minutes trying to extract himself from the bed. Finally he made his escape by pushing a pillow between the two vampires.

Grabbing some clothes, he then set about getting ready for the day. His alarm went off once again just as he was about to raise the razor to his face, nine minutes after he had turned it off the first time. He always left the alarm on until he was out of the door. It helped him to keep on track.

Standing in front of the mirror, about to raise the razor again for it’s twice a week job, he stilled. Eyes locked on his mirror image, he stared deep into his eyes.

The beeping of the alarm going off again, broke Xander away from his reflection. Glancing down at his watch, he saw that he had been staring into the mirror for the last nine minutes. Turning away, he rushed out of the room, his shaving forgotten, eager to feel the touch of his lovers upon his skin. He was scared. Scared because he knew without a doubt that he was going to die that day. And there was nothing he could do but wait.

***

Giles looked up as his computer beeped, informing him of new mail. Sighing, he put aside his book on Blood Demons, and opened the mail. It was from the Watchers Council. The message was brief. But was enough to make his blood run cold.

((It is time. The Prophecy will occur shortly. Be prepared.

The Chosen One
Will be downed at the hands of a foe
And as his blood runs clear
The tears of evil will soak his skin
And their blood will merge
They will become one
He will die to rise again
Reborn
And he shall be feared
For he is the master of Death
The True Master
And he can not be stopped
And so it will be
That Death can not be stopped))

Every Watcher was taught the verse from the very first day as a Watcher. It was one of the oldest written texts in existence, and the most feared. It had been found in the nest of one very powerful and very old Vampire once he had been slayed. At the time, the Council as it was then, had scoffed at the Prophecy. But as other prophecies from the same nest came true they had no choice but to believe in it.

They had searched for hundred of years trying to find ways to stop the Prophecy from coming true. But they had only succeeded in finding more reverences to the Prophecy. All began with "The Chosen One" and although the words in between changed slightly, they had always ended the same, "And so it will be, That Death can not be stopped."

And now it looked as if the Council knew that the Prophecy was about to come true. As Giles moved into the library and looked out the window, to the gray clouded sky, he knew that they might just be right. He had felt uneasy lately, and as had Buffy. Her senses where giving her strong "vibes" as she put it, and after reading the Prophecy, maybe her vibes weren't to far off.

Shivering as the hair on the back of his neck stood on end, he realised he had better get the Scooby Gang in as soon as possible. They had a lot of work to do.

***

Angelus woke to the sound of someone making love beside him. Opening his eyes, he saw his childe Spike laying flat on his back with Xander rocking up and down on the vampires hard cock.

Instantly he was hard and aching. Moving so fast that neither lover saw him move, he straddled Spike's legs and leaned into Xander. With his weight pushing Xander down, he looked deep into his childe's eyes, as Xander threw his head back with a loud moan at the touch of Angelus on his back.

Sharing one meaningful look with Spike, Angelus raked his fangs down the side of Xander's neck, while Spike did the same on the other side. Instantly Xander moaned in pleasure, a newly awakened pleasure of his being bitten and fed upon by his lovers coming to life. They never went to far, and never too often, but it was something they couldn't resist. It took their love making to a new level and made them closer. And sometimes Xander took their blood too. Not enough to turn him, but enough to forge a connection between them.

It was through their connection, that Angelus picked up on Xander's feelings. Desperation, fear, hope, love, all ran through the teenager as he thrust back onto Spike's cock, and forward into the master vampires hand.

Sharing one last look with Spike, Angelus sunk his fangs into the pale neck in front of him and fed, as Spike did the same. Between them Xander howled in pleasure.

***

Buffy looked at the grave and deadly serious Giles standing before her. She had never seen him like this before. It was kind of wigging her out. As well as the whole Prophecy thingy he had told them about. If the Council had sent the verse to all Watchers, they must know something they didn't and were sending everyone a warning.

"So, they have no idea how to stop this from happening? Or who or what it could be?" Willow asked.

"No. Unfortunately, the Council have never be able to find anything in regards to stopping this from happening. We do know that whoever or whatever it is, will be killed first and then he or it will come to life again as a Master. The True Master."

"What is with that? "The True Master"? I thought that anyone could be a Master if they were old enough. Angelus is, was, er... you know what I mean. Isn't he a Master?"

"Yes, Buffy he is. But I don't think it has as much to do with age as with power. And "The True Master"? I think that means he will be one of the most powerful vampires there will ever be. But I doubt he will already be a Master."

"Okay. So lets go with what we know. He or she will be killed. Or most likely slayed, which means he may already be a vampire. Which means I can't really go around killing any mad guys in case they are the one. So, if I'm not killing anyone, then we should be looking for someone who is about to die or be killed. Right?" Buffy looked at Giles and Willow to confirm what she was saying wasn't totally wrong.

"That's a good start. But we can't be every where. I suggest we stick to the hospitals and see if anyone turns up there who may be our guy. Or girl."

"Wait. There's a concert on at the Mall. There's going to be hundreds of people there. It's bound to draw a lot of bad guys who would want a easy meal. I think Buffy and I should go there and keep an eye out. If we don't find anything, we can always head for the cemetery or hospital." Willow suggested.

"Hmm. That might actually be a good idea. Thanks Willow. I'll head to the hospital, and you two head to the mall. And see if you can find Xander. We could need his help with this." Giles said just as the bell for end of lunch went. "I'll see you two later."

"See ya Giles. Don't worry, we'll find this person and make sure the Prophecy doesn't come true."

Nodding, Giles watched them leave the Library. No matter what Buffy had said, he knew only a matter of time would tell if the Prophecy would come true or not.

***

"Don't you have to go to school, pet?" Spike asked as he lay back against the pillows on the bed.

"Yeah. But I really didn't feel up to it today. I wanted to spend some time with you two. School will still be there tomorrow. And it's not as if I have a chance of graduating anyway, with the amount of time I've had off lately."

"School's over rated. What'd you need it for anyway?"

"Getting a job. Having some money. Little things like that."

"Pish posh. I never went to school and I've got money. Same with Angelus 'er. School's a bleedin' waste of time."

"Yeah, but you get your money off your dinner. I might not approve of you doing that, but I understand why you do and I know there is no way I would scoop to doing that. It's just not me. Hence the going to school deal."

"I have money. What money I do have, I invest. That way I will always have a income, and don't have to worry if I have to get some supplies in a hurry." Angelus shrugged, indifferent to the whole conversation. He was more concerned with Xander's avoidance of his not going to school. And his lack of excuse of why he wasn't going. He did know that Xander did want to spend time with them, but why? It was a puzzle.

"Hey, there's a concert on at the mall tonight. How about we all go? It'll be fun, the three of us." Spike asked, trying to cheer Xander up. He hated it when the boy was sad. Put a right downer on his mood it did.

Even Angelus felt the tensing of Xander's back where it lay pressed against his chest. Something was going on with Xander, and he wasn't giving anything away. "That sounds like a good idea Spike. I'm up for it."

Xander twisted in the vampires arms to look into his face. It was the first time Angelus had suggested or even appeared interested in going out in public with either him or Spike. "Are you sure? I mean, we don't have to go if you don't want to." As much as Xander wanted to stay in side with both Angelus and Spike, he would truly love to go out with them together just once.

With hope shinning bright in the teenagers eyes, Angelus smiled. He couldn't deny the boy anything. Xander had been a bit off for a few days now, and both of the vampires missed seeing a honest smile on the teenagers face. If going out with him in public was going to make the boy happy, then it would make Angelus happy. "I'm sure."

Grinning, Xander latched onto the vampires lips for a deep, intense kiss. Pulling back, he looked from Angelus to Spike. "Thank you."

"No problem, pet. No prob." As Xander settled down between them, Spike gave his sire a smile of thanks. Xander was happier than he had been in days. And for that he was glad.

***

Buffy and Willow stood at the back of the yelling crowd. So far they hadn't been able to see anything that could bea part of the Prophecy. Then again they couldn't see much of anything, what with everyone jumping up and down in front of them. Pointing to the stairs, Buffy grabbed Willow's hand and lead them to the possibility of a better view.

Once up on the first floor, the girls looked down onto the crowds of screaming girls and boys as the band up on the stage sang their latest song. Looking around neither girl could see anything that could be part of the Prophecy. Just as Buffy was about to turn to Willow and suggest they leave, her Vamp senses switched on full blast.

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out Mr. Pointy. Looking around she couldn't see any Vamps, but as it was so loud and crowded it wasn't surprising. Knowing Willow was following, Buffy lead the way to where her senses were telling her a vampire was.

The crowd of peoples thinned and disappeared the closer she got to the vampire.

Then she saw him. Spike. Relaxing slightly, she looked around and saw Him. Angelus. Approaching from behind, and heading straight for Spike. Going on instinct, she spotting the cross bow on display in the sport shop she stood next to. Smashing the window, she reached in and grabbed the cross bow and primed it to fire. Then moving away from the broken glass and closer to the vampire, she moved it up to her shoulder and took aim.

Willow stood by in shock as Buffy got Angelus in her sight to fire. She knew that Buffy possessed a hatred for the Vampire, he had replaced and taken away her lover Angel after all. But she didn't know that it ran this deep.

"Buffy, what are you doing? You can't kill Angelus, no matter how much he deserves it. Come on, lets go and talk." She pleaded, knowing the look on Buffy's face well enough to be worried.

"No. This ends here and now. I'm not about to let Angelus kill Spike. Spike is all that Xander has left. And as much as I hate that, I don't want to hurt Xander by letting Spike die when I had a chance to do something about it." Placing her finger on the trigger, the teenager took aim and fired before Willow could say anything to stop her.

***

Xander watched as Angelus walked ahead as he waited for the money machine to give him some money. He wanted to pay a part of the way tonight. He was relaying too much on his lovers to give him things. And even as much as he liked the thought of their caring for him, he still wanted to be independent.

Finally, the machine spat out a twenty dollar note, and Xander sighed as he looked at the balance left in his account. His parents house had been heavily mortgaged, and he had only received a few thousand after the house had been sold and all debts had been paid off. But the cost of living was high, and he knew he would have to get a job very soon.

A wave of doom flooded through him, almost bringing him to his knees. Frightened and dizzy, he steadied himself and looked toward Angelus who had almost reached Spike, who had been impatient to party and had gone on ahead of him. And then he saw her.

Buffy. Cross bow aimed and read to fire. At Angelus. His heart jumping up in his throat, Xander ran towards his lover, trying to get the words of warning out passed his heart. As he got closer to them, Angelus and Spike turned at the sound of his running feet.

Now Buffy, not seeing her friend running towards Angelus, had a clear view of the vampires chest, and fired...

...Just as Xander skidded to a stop in front of Angelus.

Silence descend. The music and screams of the teenagers faded into the back ground, as they all looked down at the bolt that was sticking out of the middle of Xander's chest.

((The Chosen One
Will be downed at the hands of a foe))

Then Xander wobbled, and both vampires rushed to gentle lower him to the ground. Buffy and Willow stepped closer, until Angelus growled at them. They paused not knowing what to do. They stared in shock at Xander. With a arrow bolt sticking out of his chest.

Spike shakily reached out and gentle took hold of the bolt intending to pull it out. But when he touched it Xander let out a cry of pain. He jerked his hand away and looked at his sire, not knowing what to do. Angelus was looking just as lost.

((And as his blood runs clear))

Both vampires knew how to kill in hundreds of different way, but neither of them knew anything of healing. They didn't know what to do. Spike looked towards Willow, desperation in his voice and eyes. "Help him. Help us."

Willow blinked hard as tears spilled over. Holding back the sobs that threatened to overwhelm her, she started to inch closer.

"No."

Everyone looked down at Xander. He was pale, blood pooling around the bolt and running down to the floor, but there was no pain in his eyes. Only determination. "No. This is supposed to happen. I knew I was going to die today. I just didn't know how."

"Why? Why?" Angelus whispered raggedly.

Xander knew what he was asking. Wetting his lips, he told the truth. "I love you. I didn't want to see you die. Not when I had a chance to stop it."

"I'm a vampire. I live every day knowing I could die at any time. But you.... You are so young Xander. You had so much to live for." Both the vampires when Xander was dying. They could both hear his heart beat slow down. And their connection weaken and begin to break.

"No! I won't let you die. Angelus, please. Do somethin'. Anythin'." Spike pleaded.

"No. Don't. Spike, this is the way it was meant to be. Deep down you know that. Please let me go." Xander whispered, tears in his eyes as he looked upon his lover.

"I can't. I luv you. I only just found you. Angelus. Angelus, can turn you. Or I could. Please let us turn you." Spike pleaded.

Xander used what strength he could to shake his head. "no... I wouldn't be me... I don't want that... please, just let me die..."

Hearing the breath falter in Xander's chest, both vampires knew that Xander would die shortly.

"... could you take the ... out..." Xander whispered.

((The tears of evil will soak his skin
And their blood will merge))

Nodding, both vampires reached out and gently took hold of the bolt. One of the edges was razor sharp and sliced into their skin. Mindless of the pain, and of the blood that ran down the bolt and into Xander's chest wound, they slowly began to pull.

They stopped immediately stopped when Xander screamed in pain. Letting go of the bolt, they bent over Xander, tears running unchecked down their cheeks and splashing onto their lover's face below. Only they heard the final words of Xander Harris.

"... i love you dead boys... forever..."

((They will become one
He will die to rise again
Reborn))

Then Xander was dead.

Spike reared back and howled his pain as the two girls sobbed uncontrollable. And Angelus gathered the dead boy into his arms to sob into his hair.

***

None of them knew how long they stayed like that, each locked within their own grieve.

But eventually Buffy got up and moved closer to the vampires. She stopped still when both vampires growled and hissed at her. "I didn't mean to kill him. I only wanted to kill Angelus..."

"Why? Because he was mean to you? He's a vampire, couldn't you live with that and let things lie?" Spike asked bitterly.

"I thought he was going to kill you. I know-"

"You know nothing!" Angelus spat at her, not caring when she flinched. "We are lovers. Xander was *our* lover. And you killed him because of what you thought you knew. You know nothing."

"What - what do you mean, you were lovers? Xander hated you. He would have never-"

"Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Angel was seeing Xander the same time he was seeing you. They had been lovers for months. Then Spike joined us. Angel was turned into Angelus and ... and... We loved each other. And nothing was stopping us from being together. But now... We have lost him forever. You killed him." Angelus whispered, as he tenderly pushed a stray hair off Xander's peaceful face.

"I didn't know. My god. I never knew."

"You weren't supposed to. He wanted to protect your feelings. And this is how you repaid him." Spike said, gazing down into his lover's face for the last time.

Buffy opened her mouth to say something, when Angelus leaned down and pressed one last kiss to Xander's unmoving lips. Then Spike did the same. She barely heard their whispered words, but her eyes teared up again when their feelings came through in their voices.

"I love you, my love. Forever." They both said, and stood.

Before Buffy could say anything, a shout came from behind them. It was a security officer making the rounds, and he had just spotted Xander laying on the floor with the bolt sticking out of his chest.

Instantly both vampires were gone. Buffy had enough sense to know that she and Willow had to get out of there quickly or they would end up arrested. Quickly she grabbed Willow and the cross bow and got out of there before they were discovered.

***

Giles started as his cell phone rang. It had been a Christmas present from Buffy, her way of saying she understood that Giles should be kept up to date with her slaying. Seeing that the caller ID showed it was Buffy, he quickly flipped opened the phone.

"Buffy, I take it you've got something."

"Giles..." The sound of her tear filled voice filled his ears as he listened.

"Buffy, what is it? Are you alright? Where are you?"

"We've at your place. Please come. Something horrible has happened..."

Hearing her sobbing now, Giles was truly worried. Buffy never liked to show her feelings, what ever it was, it must really be bad. "Buffy. Tell me what happened. Buffy!"

"Giles. Angelus was there. At the mall. I tried to kill him..."

The librarian, strained to hear what she said next, sure that the connection of the phone was playing tricked on him. "What did you say? Angelus was there?"

"Yes! He was there. I grabbed a cross bow and fired it. He would be dead now but for... but for..."

Her sobbing was making him panic, Buffy had never been like this before. Rushing out of the hospital, he didn't pay any attention to the area around him. If he had he would have seen something rather startling by the ambulance bay. But as it was he was focused only on Buffy.

"Buffy. Please, tell me what happened? Is it Willow? Is she all right?"

"Yes. We're both all right. Giles, Xander was there. He... He.. He stepped in front of Angelus as I fired!"

Shocked Giles dropped his car keys just as he was about to open the door. "...What did you say?"

"Giles. I shot Xander. Xander is dead!"

Giles was aware of nothing but the sound of sobbing in his ear, and his own disbelieve. "Xander couldn't be dead. He hadn't even turned up at school today." He whispered not knowing what he was saying.

"Giles please. Come home. We don't know what to do." Buffy rasped, her voice husky from her crying.

"Yes. I'll be home shortly." Giles said and snapped the phone shut. Slowly he bent and picked up his keys. He opened the door and slid into the car. He sat there for a moment in silence, and then bent his head over the steering wheel as the tears spilled over for a boy who was like a son to him.

***

The ancient vampire watched as the gurney was wheeled into the room, carrying a black body bag. Within the bag was the Chosen One. Taking a deep breath, he walked over to the vampire who had wheeled the gurney in. "Did everything go as planned?"

"Yes. The ambulance driver won't even remember what happened tomorrow and I removed all traces of anyone knowing what happened. His friends and the vampires don't know he never made it to the hospital either." The young vampire said as he stood in front of his master.

The master, licked his lips nervously as he looked down at the bag. "Is he alright? How was he killed?"

"The slayer killed him. He stepped in front of a cross bow bolt. He saved his lover which she was aiming at."

"Which one?"

"Angelus."

He sighed. "No surprises there. She really doesn't understand that Angelus and Angel are one and the same person. She will learn." He looked at the clock on the far wall. "It's almost time. Lets do this."

"Yes sire." The vampire said and turned around to prepare when he was spun back around and crushed against his master chest as the vampire took his mouth in a ravishing kiss.

They slowly parted, panting in the cool night. Then the master pulled back. "It's time."

***

Giles softly closed the door behind himself and weakly leaned against it for strength. Then taking a deep breath, he walked into the room, where Buffy and Willow sat crying on the couch.

Willow saw him first and with a cry jumped up and hugged him, crying into his shoulder. "Giles. Xander's dead. Xander's dead."

Blinking back the fresh wave of tears, he hugged her close. "I know. I know." He looked over her shoulder, where Buffy stood wringing her hands in her shirt. "Buffy." He whispered, and then she was there, pressed against himself and Willow, as she finally broke down and cried for her best friend whom she had killed.

It was a long time before he finally pulled away and steered the two girls to the couch. Once seated, he took several deep breaths and gathered up his courage to ask what he had to ask. "How,,, How did it happen? Tell me everything."

***

Angelus threw the chair into the wall with a roar. It shattered into bits, falling loudly onto the concert floor. But the vampire didn't care as he picked up another chair and threw that one after it.

Spike watched from the steps as his sire took out his grieve on the furniture. He had seen this before, but never to this extent. Then again, Angelus had never loved another person like he had loved Xander. What the master vampire had felt for Xander was in a league of it's own. Letting his own grieve overwhelm him, he bowed his head and left Angelus do as he must.

The roaring stopped and the crashing quieted down. Then Angelus pained moans rose into the air. Spike jerked his head up. The noises weren't of grieve, but of pain. Intense pain. Shocked into action, Spike rushed across the room and knelt down beside the withering vampire. "Angelus?" he whispered.

Angelus rolled over on to his back, and it was then that Spike realised what was happening. Angel and Angelus were fight against one another to gain control. Not knowing what to do, Spike sat back and watched as the two battled it out within the same body.

Angel had loved Xander just as much as Angelus, and both were caught up within their grieve, each trying to win. Spike didn't know what was going to happen. He just felt an overwhelming sadness that it took Xander's death for this to happen and Xander wasn't here to see it.

Knowing that this could take a while, Spike bowed his head and let his own grieve take control, knowing that this could be his only chance.

***

The dead boy lay on the marble table, directly under the beam of the moons beams. He was naked and clean, his blood stained cloths disposed of earlier. The master vampire leaned over Xander's chest and took at deep smell of the wound area were the bolt had once stood. "Yes. Their blood is here." He moved up the unmoving body and sniffed at the peaceful face. "And their tears. He is the *One*. Nothing can go wrong." He stepped back and let the moon bathe the boy in it's beams.

"Hand me the potion. It is time." He held out his had and the cup was placed there. Carefully he raised the cup to the moon, and then lowered it to the young mans mouth. His head was titled and raised, thanks to a satin red pillow. Gently he opened the lips and poured the dark fluid in, a bit at a time. He stroked the unmoving throat, and the fluid flowed through.

Bit by bit, until all of the potion was gone, and he set aside the cup. He took a step back and looked at the boy who had been Chosen. He was young, but strong, pale but glowing. And to a vampire's eyes, he was beautiful.

The master moved back to stand next to his childe and lover of a thousand years. "Now we wait." Without taking his eyes off the Chosen One, he took his childe into his arms and let his gaze take in the one who would fill the Prophecy and be their Master. Hugging his childe, the vampire watched. And waited.

***

Giles put aside his glasses, and looked at the picture that stood on his desk. It was a picture of the Scooby Gang and himself. Buffy's mother had taken it of them. Gazing at the photo, he couldn't help noticing how Xander stood off to the side. A part of the gang, and yet not.

Everyone was devastated by Xander's death. Buffy more so than the rest. Guilt was a powerful companion. And one that would be around for a while.

He had seen both Willow and Buffy home and had returned to think of the lose of Xander. Always one to please, Xander had never turned down a request asked of him. He had always been there to support them in what ever way he could. From researching to donut runs. And Giles knew that they had taken him for granted.

Maybe Spike, and Angelus were the only ones who hadn't expect anything of him. All the vampires had appeared to want was to be able to love Xander. They weren't the ones to judge who Xander should be allowed to love, and humans had. They weren't the ones to stand by Xander as he got on with his life after his parents deaths. Spike and Angelus had been there for him. And they had had just a few months with him.

And now he was gone. Only regrets were left to keep them company. The Scooby Gang was now one less, and he didn't know if they would ever be the same again. He only hoped that Angelus and Spike wouldn't seek out revenge against Buffy. If what Willow had said was true, and the Vampires had wept over Xander's death, then they had truly loved him. And a lover wronged was a lover you didn't want to cross.

Something niggled at the back of his mind, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He thought over what Willow had said.

Sobbing softly, she had whispered all that she had seen. "They were so tender with him. Like they were really, really in love with him, and they couldn't do anything to stop it. Spike wanted to turn Xander, but Xander said no. He knew he wouldn't be the same. Said he knew he was going to die that day. And he was glad because he had saved Angelus. He knew he was dying. They knew too. They cried Giles. They cried like their hearts breaking, their tears running down their faces onto Xander. Then he said how he loved them. Both of them. It was so hard to watch them. The pain, Giles. Such pain. The tears. It was awful and beautiful." Here both Buffy and Giles had stared at her in disbelief.

"Beautiful because just before he died, Xander knew he was loved. And he had died saving Angelus life. That has to count for something. Doesn't it?"

Thinking over what she had said, Giles knew that there was something he was supposed to have picked up. Then it clicked. Swearing for the first time in years, Giles ran over to his book case looking for a book. Finding the right one, he flipped it open to the Prophecy.

Shaking, he ran his hand over the text, and began to read.


"The Chosen One
Will be downed at the hands of a foe
And as his blood runs clear
The tears of evil will soak his skin
And their blood will merge
They will become one
He will die to rise again
Reborn
And he shall be feared
For he is the master of Death
The True Master
And he can not be stopped
And so it will be
That Death can not be stopped"


"Oh. Dear. God. Buffy was a foe of Angelus, and therefore one of Xander's. He bleed. They *cried* over him. He died. He will rise again. Oh, dear god. No. Xander..." Slamming the book shut, he rushed out of his front door, knowing he had to get to Buffy and Willow.

***

The Master tenderly cradled his childe against his chest as they watched the last of the moon's ray's leave Xander's skin. But Xander's skin still glowed in the darkness. It was working. Now he just had to survive a day under the sun. As the Prophecy stated, he would rise again. For he was the Chosen One. The One blessed with kindness and evil. Two side of the same coin.

Soon, he would rise again. And they would be waiting. To teach him. Guide him. Love him. For he *would* be the True Master.

For two thousand years, he had waited for this moment, searching for the Chosen One. Having hope and losing it again and again when the Chosen One turned out to not be the *One* they seeked.

Xander was different. His life had been a horror story. From the neglect and abuse from his parents. To the way his friends forgot he was there. Their puppy dog. Eager for the slightest show of attention.

Then he had found love for the first time in the arms of a vampire. That in it's self was a miracle. For humans very rarely received the attention, loving or not from a vampire. Xander had been blessed with the love of two vampires. And not just any vampires.

Angelus and Spike. Both master vampires in their own right. Angelus himself having been brought over by the childe of one of the most powerful vampires that had lived. Spike had been brought over by Angelus. Both had powerful blood within them. And they had shared their blood with Xander. One sniff at Xander's skin had told him that they had shared blood before.

Now Xander would wake to being the most powerful vampire alive. For all time. People who knew of the Prophecy thought they knew what that would mean. But only a few vampires knew of the true power that being the True Master would entail. All vampires knew of the Prophecy. But most scoffed at the possibility. The Prophecy was thousands of years old after all.

But when Xander woke to being the True Master, they would learn. All those who had doubted would learn their mistake. And those who served the True Master would bask in his favor.

Xander just had to survive a day under the harsh beams of the sun, and then as he rise again reborn.

They would be waiting.

Seeing the sky lighten above them through the glass ceiling, the master moved himself and his childe into the confines of darkness. It wouldn't do for them to burn in the suns beams. That wouldn't do any good.

They would wait.

***

"If what you are saying is true, then there is no stopping the Prophecy. I've already started it."

Sighing, Giles rubbed his glasses. "Yes. We might still have a chance though. We just need to find the body and destroy it."

"Find the body? Hello? This is Xander we are talking about here. You want to destroy his body? Xander being the one in the Prophecy? No, not Xander. You have the wrong dead guy." Willow stated looking from Giles to Buffy.

"I admit that it would seem extreme. And that Xander wouldn't fit the profile of a vampire. But his death does fit the Prophecy. And he is the only one who fits the who has died by a ... a foe." Giles uncomfortably looked at Buffy. "I know we don't want to think of Xander that way. But we must. Even if we are wrong, at least we tried."

"He's right Willow. We have to try. Xander's death is the only one similar to the Prophecy. It's the only lead we have."

"Okay. But I don't want to be there when... I don't want to be there." Willow said, her eyes filling with tears again.

"We understand Willow."

Half an hour later, they were walking into the hospital. Or more correctly, the morgue. Giles walked first into the administration room. He knew Willow and Buffy didn't want to see any more than they had too. Heck, he didn't want to see any more than he had to.

The staff person looked up from a report she was filling in. "Yes?"

"Hello. We were called by the police to come and ID a person that had been brought in a few hours ago."

"Okay. Who was it you had to ID?" She asked, signing a file and closing it.

"Ah, a young man. 18 years old. Pale skin, dark brown hair." Giles stopped, not knowing Xander's height.

"Hmm. I've had no one come in fitting that description. How did he pass away?" She ask and pulled a flip chart closer to her and casting her eyes down the list.

"He ... ah... was killed by a cross bow. The bolt, that is. In the middle of his chest." He cast Willow a sad look when she whimpered.

"Hmm. Nope, no one came in with that description. It isn't uncommon, but no one like that in today, and we are the only morgue in town. Who did you say called you?" She asked.

Sharing a look with Willow, and Buffy, Giles decided it would be best to get out of the quickly. "Obviously there has been a mistake. A practical joke. I'm sorry for taking up your time."

"Some joke. If you ever find out who made the call, tell the police and they will follow it up."

"Yes. We will. Thanks." Departing the room, they quickly made their way to Giles car.

"What are we going to do now?" Buffy asked, getting into the car.

"I don't know. We have to find out what happened to Xander's body. Could Angelus or Spike have gone back?"

"I don't think so. They said their goodbyes to Xander at the Mall. Do you think they could have come back and taken him?" Willow asked.

"I honestly don't know. I haven't read anything about what a vampires does if his human lover dies. It is very rare and not well documented."

"The human dying or having a human lover?" Buffy asked.

"Eh, both. Some vampires have taken consorts before. Human lovers." He explained. "But it is rare. Vampires prefer to think of humans as food rather than as a possible love interest. I've only come across two references on a human and vampire romance before. The first one ended badly, when the human girl took another lover. The vampire killed them both. The second instance was of a vampire who took a male human lover. They lived together for 30 years I believe."

"How did it end?" Willow asked, always the romance.

"Um... I think the human died of natural causes. He was already in his thirties when they meet. So he was in his sixties when he died."

"Okay. So you had a higher survival rate if you were male and old." Buffy stated.

"Thirty isn't old Buffy." Giles winced at the reference.

"Hello? 18 here. Thirty is old. Especially if we are talking love interests."

"I don't mean to butt in, but what are we going to do about Xander?" Willow pointed out.

"Right. Xander. Let's go back to my house, and brain storm. See if we can come up with anything."

Looking out the window, Willow couldn't help wonder where Xander was. What was happening to him and what was going to happen when the Prophecy came to it's conclusion? Yawning, she realised that the sun had been up a few hours already. She hadn't been able to get any sleep last night. How could she with her best friend dead? Feeling tears gather in her eyes again, she ran a hand across her face. Life would never be the same again.

***

To be continued
Feedback
belindat@ihug.co.nz I always respond.