Title: Brother War

Author: Kate R

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein. The Gods belong to themselves and Buffy et al belongs to Joss

Rating: PG-13 to R I think to be safe

Summary: The Scoobies meet Xander's Big Brother

 

Brother War
by Kate R


"If you need me, Xan, just call me and I'll come. You know that, right?"

"I know, Res," Xander said as his brother got on the bus that would take him to his new school, the Olympus Academy in Colorado. Xander hugged his brother goodbye and watched him get on the bus. Res would be better there, in the mountains. Res needed mountains it seemed and their parents didn't care enough about him to give him that so when he was chosen for this school
he was going.

"I'll miss you bro," Xander said. "But you need to be there."

The bus pulled out and Xander watched it go. He would miss Res but Res needed to go. "Bye Res," he said quietly.

His older brother would be gone for a while but it was better than being here.


Sunnydale High, ten years later

Xander was sitting outside the high school waiting for Buffy and Willow. It was the first day of junior year and he was edgy. He wanted to go in and see Giles. He didn't see much of the G-man over the summer and add to that his brother had left yesterday and he was miserable. He hated it when Res left. He really did. Willow had noticed his mood shift but Res had had to leave last night because he had classes this morning. He was going to be really tired when he got back to school though. Colorado was a pretty fair piece of distance away. Even someone as bad in math as he was knew that.

"Who said anything about Colorado?" A voice asked as someone sat down next to him.

Xander's head turned and he found himself looking at his brother. "RES!" He yelled hugging him. "But I thought---."

"I decided to go to public high school for the next two years. Besides, I promised we'd graduate together, remember?"

Xander nodded as he remembered that talk when he had been 4 and Res had been five.

"I always try to keep my promises, Xander. So, what's our first class? Oh, some of the other people from my school decided to come to Sunnydale as well. They want to know why I chose this place. I figure why not let them come. That's Cupid there and next to him is Strife. That's Dite and Heph and over there are Dis and Pol. So, what's our first class?"

"History," Xander said. "History in room 321. Here comes Buffy and Willow. Hey, guys."

"Hi, Xander," Willow said. "Res! You're still here."

"Finishing high school here. How are you, Willow? And who is this?"

"This is Buffy. Buffy, this is Xander's older brother, Res. You're in our year?"

"Yeah, promised Xander something and besides I went to a private academy. Thought I should not start senior year. So, Xander said he wanted me to meet someone and he was sad I wouldn't be able to. Wanna introduce me now?"

"Yeah!" Xander yelled as he dragged his brother to his feet and led him into the school and to the library. "You'll love the G-Man."

"Xander, please do not call me that," Giles' voice said as they entered the library.

Xander grinned unrepentantly and pulled Res forward.

"G-man, this is my brother. Res, this is the G-man," he said.

"Pleasure to meet you sir," Res said. "Could I ask what your name is?"

"Giles," he said. "My name is Giles."

"Xander, call him by his name. He doesn't like the nickname so please stop it."

Xander looked into his brother's eyes and saw something that Res was obviously trying not to let him see so he nodded. "Okay, Res," Xander said hearing how serious Res was. "Sorry, Giles. Come on Res, we gotta go to class."

And out the door they went with Res laughing as Xander pulled him along. Giles stood in the library for a moment and then shook his head chuckling. Who knew Xander had a brother? It looked to be a most interesting school year, that was for sure.

Giles could not wait.

 

Part 2

"Come on, Res," Xander said as they walked into the library after the school that day. "Scooby Meeting. You have to be introduced to everyone as a Scooby because I know you can and will help. You kick ass in fighting."

"Sure Xander," Res said as they approached.

The group that had come here with Res was all around. Xander had a feeling they would all be joining in the fight. He'd seen Dis in particular looking around as if thinking about something. Xander didn't know why that name meant something to him but it did. He led Res into the library and then froze as he watched Buffy kick Giles in the back and send him careening into the book cage. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion as Xander realized what was going to happen.

Giles hit the steel book cage so hard Xander heard the crunching noise of his wrist shattering. Stop

He hit the cage so hard he bounced off of it and seemed to fly backwards and skid across the room. Stop.

He skidded into the research table and his head hit it with a resounding crack. Stop.

Buffy was approaching Giles ordering him to get up. Stop.

She drew the quarterstaff up and sent it down towards Giles and Xander saw him cringe. Stop.

The staff was flying towards Giles' back in a painful looking speed. Stop.

Res was suddenly just there. Stop.

Xander felt his jaw drop as Res caught the staff in its downward arc and reversed the force sending Buffy flying backwards. Stop and Time resumed its normal flow.

"Enough!" Res barked as he blocked Buffy swinging the staff at him.

Xander watched Res as he effortlessly repelled all of her attacks and then swept her feet out from under her. She was staring up at him less than a minute after starting her attack.

"Not so easy against someone who can match you is it?" Res asked her as she lay there panting. "Get up and Spar with me. Xander, run and get Pol. He's on the Quad with Dis. He knows medicine."

Xander took off and Buffy got to her feet again. Less than ten seconds later, Res had her on her ass again. She was just staring at him when the library doors opened again and Xander came in with a blond boy who was by Giles' side in an instant and gently touching the shattered wrist. Giles yelped slightly and Pol looked at Ares who nodded.

"I'm going to mend this for you, Mr. Giles," Pol said.

Giles nodded gritting his teeth and Pol looked at Res wondering why he was doing that and Res shrugged.

"Our Academy taught us to use Energy, Mr. Giles. Pol is a healer. Let him help you. Miss Buffy and I will get back to her training today."

"I can finish," Giles whispered as pain rocketed through his arm.

Ares shook his head. "You will be back to being her mentor. I will spar with her and I will teach her a few lessons. No, get up, Buffy. You will Spar with me and I will kick your ass."

She got up again and Res again slammed her to the floor in less than a minute. Xander was watching, as Res seemed to be being very hard.

"Come on, little girl," Res taunted. "What's wrong? Never faced someone who can meet you blow for blow? Yeah, you like beating the hell out of your watcher/librarian/supposed friend. Yes, I know all about Watchers and Slayers. The Council security on computers sucks. My friend Herm hacked them years ago. He was 6. So, you think you have the right to hit him?

"Tell you what, when you can last five minutes against me you can go to any damn dance you want because by the time you can do that you will be able to take down anything in front of you."

"Arrogant," Buffy hissed.

"Nah, I'm just that good," Res retorted as he slammed her to the floor.

Thirty seconds this time. Better than 5. Xander was impressed. He saw two of the others come into the room and just watch as Res sparred with Buffy. She didn't get past the thirty-second mark and he could have sworn those two were talking even if they didn't speak. He was right of course, they were.

OO

"Damn, Strife," Cupid said mentally to his mate. "Dad looks major league Pissed with that girl."

"I'd have to say he is, Cupe," Strife returned. "Didn't you hear what Pol said she did to Mr. Giles while training with him? Unc didn't make Slayers to beat on people like that. Once he was down she should have backed off but she didn't. I think Unc is going to teach her a real lesson about this. I mean we all felt when he got pissed before he intervened. Xander is thinking about how he stopped her from hitting Mr. Giles again. He caught the staff thing and reversed the arc on it. It had to hurt when she landed against those steps."

"Yeah," Aphrodite added a she joined them. "Oh, Cupe, look. Your dad just knocked her on her ass in less than ten seconds again. Applaud. I get the feeling that doesn't happen to her often. Let alone ten times in a row."

"Go, Res!" Strife yelled aloud as Ares stopped the sparring and placed a staff against her throat marking the end of the session because if he were a real enemy she would have been dead.

"Game," he said as he pulled her to her feet. "Tomorrow, same time, same place. You do not spar with him anymore. The fact that Pol is still working tells me there is a lot of damage to heal. Now, excuse me, I have homework to do before we go to The Bronze tonight. You can come there. Go
home, get showered. Pol?"

"He needs some rest but otherwise he's going to be fine," Pol answered as he got Giles back on his feet. "I'll drive him home. You got her training from now on?"

"You know it," Res said as he watched Buffy leave and looked at Xander. "You wanted me to fix that didn't you?" he asked.

Xander nodded having wanted to tell Res he needed his help before his brother had left the night before. "It's fixed now, little brother," he said. "Lets go home and get ready for tonight. See you guys at the house later. Have to get Xan here packed up to move in with us."

"Kay, Res," Dite said.

Res chuckled and led Xander out to where his motorcycle was parked and got him on it behind him with a helmet.

"Wagons, ho," Res said.

Xander laughed as he started the bike and they headed out.

 

END PART 2