Title: Brother My Brother

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: JKR Owns Harry and Co. Joss owns Giles and Co. I do not own anyone. I make no money. All I get are comments on my writing.

Rating: PG-13

Summary: AN Old Family Quarrel has to be settled in order to defeat Voldemort

Notes: I had this idea long before book 5 so I don't know if it counts as

Spoilers. IN case it does, don't read any further but like I said, I had the idea long before I read book 5. Sirius' parents the half bloods but they need and want the power Ethan has.


Brother My Brother
by Kate R.


Prologue: What Was

"He's MY Brother," one voice yelled. Sirius, Ethan suspected.

The fight had been going on for a few hours now. Why did they keep this up? "He's MY Brother as well," Rupert's voice, cold and angry, now joining the crescendo of anger. Why did they do this to him? He sensed what Rupert would say next as he always did. The argument was so old he'd memorized most of it.

"Your family doesn't even like his kind. They just want his power. Just like they wanted mine. I'll be damned before I let them have him."

"STOP IT!" Ethan yelled finally. "Stop it! Leave me alone!"

He turned and ran then, blinded by his own tears, he didn't see the car that hit him. He heard his brothers, both of them; shout his name but then there was only darkness and the arguments running through his head. Louder and louder becoming a chaotic stream of anger and Ethan screamed inside as he woke up.

He was in bed, in the house since both families were magic but only Ethan it seemed had been claimed by both. He felt more confused then ever when he heard the screaming still going on, now with both sets of parents as well as his brothers. Ethan felt like screaming until he was deaf just so he didn't have to listen to it anymore.

"He belongs in our world," Father Black said.

He heard a snort.

"Your World? Ethan's power will destroy your world. He has to be taught to control it with his mind before he has a wand," Father Giles then. Ethan slid to the floor of his room, tears falling like rain as he listened to the yelling and screaming and then it hit him.

Chaos, Rain. No, Rayne. It was evident neither family wanted him for Ethan. So, he wasn't a Giles or a Black then. So, he'd make himself a new name. He got up and took a picture of him with his two brothers. One on each side, close up of their faces. Ethan was in the middle. The tore the picture in half at his face. On the side with Rupert, he wrote Giles. On the side with Sirius, he wrote Black. Across his face he wrote Ethan. Then he
set the two halves in his pillow, grabbed a bag, stuffed it with clothes, and climbed out his window. 13 years old and he would never come to either home again. Not until they stopped fighting over him.

An hour or so later, Rupert and Sirius came up to check on him. The picture was the only note he left. Ethan was gone. The two elder boys looked at each other and though both felt regret over fighting over Ethan, they began to hate each other more. Each blaming the other for the boy leaving. On and on for 22 years. Fighting even when Sirius was imprisoned. Ethan would occasionally come to Giles but not if he wasn't alone.

When Sirius escaped and his innocence was reported, Ethan spent some time with him as well. But not together. Never together. He didn't think he could deal with it. Unfortunately, Voldemort's return to power had other ideas. He three had to come back together. Or the world would fall to darkness.



Chapter 1: The Call

Giles sighed as he stocked the shelves in his store. Ethan was sleeping in the loft. Giles has asked him to come to the store with him today and he had agreed as long as he could go somewhere and be by himself. Giles allowed it. When Ethan had turned up and stopped them from doing something terrible, he'd gained friends in Xander and Tara. Spike had been willing to give him a chance and had liked the sorcerer.

Dawn thought he was cool. Willow however, was very angry. Ethan had stopped one of her spells and had proved she knew practically nothing about what she was doing. Ethan had also cut her power off to do it, which made him stronger than she was.

Giles looked up as the door to the shop opened and Dawn came in from school. It was the last day of classes so she was happy. Giles chuckled as he received his hug and Dawn then ran up to the loft to give 'Uncle Ethan' a hug as well. The ache from Buffy's death had faded finally. It would never be completely gone but they were learning to live with it.

Giles had two things to focus on now. Ethan and Dawn. Xander had Spike as kind of brother so they had each other and now it was as if they had become a family.

Giles was thinking on that when there was a pop behind him and Dawn screamed. Giles brought his hand up, the hand already glowing with power, only to stop when he saw the person before him.

"Dumbledore," he said. The name itself a confirmation of his worst fear.

Ethan came down the steps then to join them and he saw the same thing. Voldemort had returned.

"I'm sorry to have to come and get you," the old wizard said. "It seems we need you two as well as Sirius. There is a prophecy that says you three together can destroy Voldemort. He doesn't know about it."

"When do we leave?" Ethan asked in a resigned fashion.

Giles looked at him, 22 years had shown him why Ethan ran.

"I'll try not to fight with him, Eth," Giles said. "I can only say that."

Ethan nodded and sighed. He had to deal with the other world now. Oh, Joy.

"We have to stop in Los Angeles," Dumbledore said.

Giles raised a curious eyebrow.

"We need to pull an undercover Aurorer off the job he's on now. He's needed as well. He is the Premiere Aurorer of his generation."

"An American?" Giles asked.

Dumbledore chuckled. "No, he's actually quite British. As a matter of fact, he worked with you during the Ascension. His persona was just as it needed to be. I think he was going by Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. His name is actually Merlin Weasley."

"That little fool was a Weasley?" Giles asked

"It was an act Rupert," Dumbledore said as Giles called Spike, Xander and Tara. Willow would have to be brought along but her magic was still bound so that would be no trouble. "We needed someone to make the Slayer discredit the Council and you needed someone no one would suspect of throwing powerful magic. Did you not notice your Slayer ran faster than any human, even one with her powers, should have been able to? He moved her with magic."

"Oh," Giles said softly. He knew he would owe the younger man an apology when he saw Wesley, er, Merlin, again.

Dumbledore chuckled as Dawn came down from the loft with her book bag stuffed full of Giles' magic books.

Giles laughed and nodded. She had heard everything they'd said.

"Are we driving or Apparating?" Giles asked as Spike and Xander arrived with bags for all of them and Willow and Tara came in next. Willow sulking and Tara looking somewhat happy.

"I believe we shall Drive to LA and portkey from there to the base of the Order. Is that agreeable?" Dumbledore asked.

Giles nodded and everyone went out and got into cars. Ethan drove a Black Jaguar, Giles had his convertible and Xander had an SUV with darkly tinted windows in the back for Spike. Dawn rode with Giles and Dumbledore. Willow rode with Xander and Tara rode with Ethan. She liked to sorcerer and he seemed so sad. And he made her feel things without touching her that Willow had never been able to make her feel. Also, Mr. Giles said Ethan needed someone to love him.

Two hours later, they were in LA heading for Angel's hotel. They arrived to see a fight going on. It looked bad until someone they recognized as Wesley got to his feet, holding what Giles knew to be a wand, and pointed it at the bad guys.

"STUPEFY!" He shouted loudly. He stunned four bad guys with one shot and turned to the apparent leaders. "PETRIFICUS PARAPALEGIA!"

They fell, unable to walk and that gave Angel the time to kill them. Their minions took off running and Angel looked at Wesley in shock. No less so than Cordelia and a black man Giles didn't know.

"Merlin," Dumbledore said.

Wesley turned to the Headmaster and froze. He knew what the headmaster's presence meant.

"I'll go pack," he said. "I should have known it would be now. Something's felt off for awhile now."

"Wesley, where are you going?" Angel asked.

"Home," he answered. "Home to a much larger War against Evil."

"Then I'm coming too," Angel said. He looked at Cordy and Gunn who nodded they could handle LA for a while. Wesley walked up the steps to the room in the Hyperion he had been using and came back down a few moments later with a bag. Giles chuckled and led him out to the SUV. His bag was deposited there, along with Angel who grabbed several weapons as well as clothes, and Wesley got into the Jaguar with Ethan and Tara. They drove to a secluded park and all disembarked from the cars. Wesley and Dumbledore shrank the cars then and pocketed them. Finally, Dumbledore pulled a large, brass ring from his robes and looked at them all.

"Everyone touch the ring," he said.

They all did and there was a yanking sensation and then they all appeared in the kitchen of a large house. Wesley managed to stay on his feet, as did Giles and Ethan and Dumbledore.

Surprisingly, so did Spike and Angel. Everyone else landed on their duffs.

"You are a surprise for your parents, Merlin," Dumbledore said. "I did not tell anyone I was getting you. I need your help actually. Unless I can get a signed DADA Teacher before the 5th of August, Fudge will send one of his people. I know they will have to accept Merlin Weasley as a teacher."

"I can do that, headmaster," Wesley said as he followed Dumbledore into the living room. They walked in on a meeting and Wesley heard Ethan
groan as Sirius black saw him. Wesley moved between them.

"Not now," he told Sirius. "Ethan and Rupert are tired from their journey. Give them a few hours before the argument starts again."

Sirius actually backed off which shocked them all. Then, Merlin Weasley, also known as Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, walked over to an over stuffed chair and sat down. Angel followed him as if he was Wesley's bodyguard and Dumbledore couldn't help chuckling.

"He's one of mine," Angel said. "I protect what is mine."

"I see that. However, his parents will be here shortly. As a matter of fact, that will be them, now. Could you wait a moment before biting anyone?"

Angel shrugged. He and Spike were both protective of their families. Especially since Buffy's death. Angel knew he would be calling Cordy, Gunn and Lorne before the year was over.

Ethan and Rupert went upstairs to lay down while Wesley was brought up to date on what was happening by Remus Lupin. Dumbledore's quiet
voice was heard talking to Arthur and Molly and Wesley stood up slowly as he led them into the room.

"---Brought someone to see you," he was saying as they cleared the doorway and saw him.

"Hi Mum, Da," he said.




Chapter 2: Merlin and Homecomings

"Merlin!" Molly cried happily as she ran over and hugged him tightly. Wesley smiled as he held her. Oh, how he had missed her. His father hugged him as well and he saw over her shoulder, Fred, George, Ron and Bill and the girl just had to be little Ginny. He noticed Charlie was absent as was Percy and he suspected he knew why Percy was absent and he knew what Charlie did.

"Hey, all," he said softly.

"Merlin!" Bill cried happily.

"Think I'd miss this?" Wes asked.

Angel chuckle from the shadows and Wes stopped the automatic move to kill him.

"No hurting him," he said. "Angel is my friend. And he and his childe Spike have come to help us."

"Are you really Merlin?" Ginny asked nervously.

Wesley looked at her and nodded, chuckling softly. "Yes," he told her, "I am. I think the last time I saw you and Ron, you were 6 and he was seven and I was only home during holidays because of my training. You've certainly grown quite a bit."

"You're Merlin?" Ron asked.

Merlin, Wesley, chuckled and nodded again. Both his younger siblings were suddenly hugging him.

"It's good to really see you again," Ron said as he touched his brother's face. "I mean, in person as opposed to pictures."

"It's good to see you two again too. It's good to see all of you. You, Mr. Black, will give your brothers time to adjust before you start playing tug of war with Ethan again. He doesn't need it now. Neither of them does. Ripper's Slayer was killed so he is likely to go off easier."

Sirius nodded, shocked by Wesley's command and walked to a chair and sat. Something about him was familiar and it wasn't just the Weasley-ness. It was something else. Something about him that Sirius didn't quite understand.

"Why did you bring him, headmaster?"

Sirius heard Remus ask.

"Because we need a DADA Teacher and Merlin Weasley is one not even Fudge can argue against," Dumbledore replied.

Sirius watched as Merlin suddenly got up and left the room just before Snape apparated in. He wondered why until he saw Snape's posture. Merlin stood that way. He choked as he understood and watched as Snape suddenly stalked into the kitchen. He heard angry voices then, Harry and Ron it sounded like. He wondered what was going on when what was being said reached his ears.

"Merlin doesn't have red hair, Ron," Harry said.

"I know Harry. Just drop it, alright?" Ron asked. He sounded like he was tense about it.

"But Ron," Harry almost whined.

Sirius cringed expecting what Ron would say once Harry finished the statement, "Why doesn't he have red hair?"

"I said Leave It!" Ron snapped and stalked down the steps. "It isn't your business, Harry. Why Merlin looks the way he does isn't really your business at all."

Ron was almost in tears as he stormed into the kitchen. He stormed out again a moment later and that confirmed what Sirius thought.

Unfortunately, there was no time to wonder about it as Snape and Merlin would be leaving for the school in a few hours as well as Ripper, Ethan, the four children and the 2 vampires. Sirius decided to talk this over with Ripper and Ethan to see what they thought. He knew this, what he was figuring out, was going to get ugly, very ugly, before it was finished.

After Snape, Merlin and the others left, planning to stop in Diagon Alley on the way, Sirius noticed the Weasley children surrounding their mother and their father standing behind her, offering support. He knew, he just Knew, that whatever had happened to make Merlin Weasley, it was painful for Molly to think of it and remember it. However, she was a rare woman, she loved her son, no matter what, she loved her son. Charlie apparated in a moment later and just hugged his mother.

"He's your son, Mum," Charlie said. "He chose you. He chose us."

Sirius caught Harry's arm when he went to ask. Harry looked at him and Sirius shook his head, one of the rare times he looked his name. Serious.

"Let. It. Go," he told Harry firmly. "When and if Ron is ready for you to know, he'll tell you, but for now, let it go."




Chapter 3: the DADA Teacher and Snape's Regret

Hermoine whistled as they arrived at Hogwarts a month later. She was picking up their bad habits and Harry smiled. Ron still hadn't told him about Merlin but he was beginning to suspect it was personal, why Ron said nothing. They got to the school and seated and watched the sorting. Ron glanced at the teachers' table and choked. Rupert Giles, Ethan Rayne, Spike and Angel were there as well as Tara and the red head. But the shock was who was sitting as far away from Snape as he could.

"Wonder why Merlin is here," Ron muttered to himself.

The sorting was over quickly and Ron watched as Dumbledore stood up. "Welcome back, to another year," he said. "I'm sure you've noticed the new faces up here. Mr. Alexander Harris will be assisting with care of Magical Creatures; Mr. Ethan Rayne will be helping with Charms and some divination. Mr. Rupert Giles will help in transfiguration. Mssrs. Angel and Spike will be helping in Defense Against the Dark Arts. And finally, Professor Merlin Weasley will be your instructor in Defense Against The Dark Arts this year. Mr. Weasley has come from LA in California where he has been actively fighting evil for the past several years."

"Merlin Weasley?" Harry heard several whispers around the hall.

Apparently he would have to see what he could find on Merlin Weasley. And why did Snape keep looking at him with almost regret? Didn't matter, Merlin was ignoring him anyhow. Harry looked over at the Slytherin Table where he saw most of them looking a tad nervous. Merlin looked at that table and the smile he gave was frightening. It was a shark's smile. Harry was glad he wasn't on the receiving end of that smile. He looked up as something occurred to him.

His scar wasn't hurting. He realized, as he looked around, that Angel was watching him almost protectively and he wondered what that was all about. He looked to Ron and saw him watching Merlin with concern and then at Snape with outright hatred. Harry wasn't sure he wanted to know what that look was for but he saw Hermione's thinking face as she considered her clues. She was working out who Merlin Weasley was and it confused her but he had a feeling all the clues were there for her to put together and the picture, when it was seen, would make some kind of sense.

The feast ended and he went up to the Gryffindor Common Room and then to his dorm room and went to bed. Tomorrow would be time enough to work out this mystery. Tomorrow.

OOOOOOO

In his rooms, Severus Snape looked at a photo of a smiling redheaded woman and he felt tears sting his eyes as he remembered his betrayal of her trust. A betrayal that had resulted in a son that hated him, or at least did not care over much for him. Damn Voldemort and Lucius. Damn them to eternal hell for what they'd done---what they'd made him do to sweet Molly.

Merlin: A Changeling name for a changeling child. Merlin. Made in one of the foulest acts but such a beautiful child. His baby. His Merlin. And the child hated him. Damn---Damn--- "DAMN!" he screamed throwing the picture across the room. "DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!"

Alone in his dungeon room, Severus Snape began to do something no one ever thought he could. He began to weep. His tears fell. His regret and Dumbledore had brought the one thing he regretted the most as a Death Eater here. He had done the one thing Severus had never thought he would. He had brought him to teach the children to defend themselves and to see what had the appearance of darkness and to tell that from what was actually dark. He had brought Merlin here. He had brought his son.

And Snape knew he would have to face it before this year was over. This was going to hurt.



Chapter 4: Ron's Rage

In the end, it only took a week before the past came back to bite Snape. He'd been harsher with the Gryffindors because again, they liked the DADA Teacher more than they liked him. Perhaps, he mused as Ronald was choking the life out of him, he should not have been so harsh.

"Can you do nothing right, Mr. Weasley?" he'd asked.

And Ron's answer had frozen him. "I can not rape someone," Ron said softly and coldly.

Snape felt his face blanch of all color as Ronald's words struck home.

Ron looked at him with absolute hatred then.

"Did you think we didn't know what happened to make Merlin's hair dark brown? Did you think Mum and Dad didn't tell us? Didn't explain why Merlin was so good in potions when the rest of us suck at them?"

"It was the Imperious Curse," Snape whispered in shock. "I didn't have a choice."

"Did you ever say you were sorry?" Ron hissed as Harry was now trying to stop him from lunging at Snape. "Did you ever come to see your son? Because Dad said you didn't seem to care about the hurt. Merlin didn't have any blame but some of the people in town acted like he did. Some of the people in town were down right rude to him. And it was your fault. Your. Fault!"

Ron lunged then as his shaking with rage stage passed and was choking Snape when he was suddenly pulled off of him.

"Lemme Go!" Ron screamed. "I'm gonna kill him! I swear I'm gonna Kill him!"

"No, you will not," Merlin's voice said to him. "You will not hurt him. It wasn't his fault either."

"But---but Mer---"

"Stop it Ron," Merlin said as he held Ron off the ground. "It doesn't help Mum or I heal as long as you continue this hate. Let. It. Go. It isn't your fight."

"But Merlin," Ron said as he began to cry. "It hurts you. It made you leave."

"Is that what you think?" Merlin asked him.

Ron nodded so Merlin looked at Snape and the rest of the class. "Dismiss the class. There are things to talk about that wont wait anymore."

Snape nodded and dismissed the class. For once not even saying anything to Neville.

Merlin then led Ron, Harry and Hermoine up to the Headmaster's office with Snape trailing them. Professor McGonnogall was there, speaking with him and when she saw Merlin and Snape standing together, her face blanched of all color.

"Albus," she began. She stared at him and Merlin stared back as he got everyone seated and then asked the headmaster to call the group he had arrived with as well as his siblings who were in school at the time. Once everyone had arrived, he saw Dumbledore staring at him.

"I'm going to say this once," Merlin told everyone. "My conception was not his fault any more than it was mom's. There was something called the Imperious Curse on him. I don't care about your personal feeling for him---for my father--- but this hatred stops now. Is that clear?"

"How can you not hate him, Merlin? He ignored you," Fred said.

Merlin looked at him and sighed. "I have talents from him that allowed me to save my friends a thousand times. Because of the Imperious Curse being used, I have the power of both of my families. Because of the imperious curse I have blue eyes. Neither of my parents had blue eyes. Now. Let. It. Go."

"We'll try," George said.

Merlin nodded and looked at Snape.

He saw Giles and Ethan as well as Sirius? Why the hell was he here? He saw the way Ethan was looking and he growled as well.

"Don't make me hurt you, Black," he said. "They don't need this right now."

"What did you want to discuss?" Snape asked, bringing attention off Black. Merlin looked at him.

"My conception not being your fault and the reason I left. Ron, Fred, George, Ginny, it had nothing to do with my parentage. It had everything to do with the rise of darkness over the Hellmouth. I was needed there so I went there. I was the only one strong enough to go there and not be corrupted. Never think my parentage made me go anywhere, alright?"

"Yes, Merlin," they all said quietly.

Merlin nodded and turned to Snape then. "I wont say it doesn't hurt that you refused to see me. I will say I can understand why. But don't you ever, EVER forget what your choices led you to. Never forget that it was your choices that led to the imperious curse that led to me. It was those choices you made that made me. It was my choices that make me who I am. I chose Weasley over you because you did not want me. I reminded you of your shame. I chose Aurorer over Potions' Master because I wanted to be on the front lines. I chose to live in the now as opposed to in the past because to live in the past would surely kill me. Stop living there. Live here. Live now. Get over your damn prejudices. Remus had nothing to do with Sirius' trick yet you cost him a job because of your hate. I will not stand for that kind of discrimination. If you do it again, you lose any chance with me. Is that clear?"

Snape just stared and nodded mutely as Merlin turned to the door. He knew Sirius and Ripper were already sniping at each other and that Ethan was again in the middle but he couldn't deal with it now. All he could do was offer Ethan a safe place, his own rooms which could accommodate both of them nicely. Ethan followed him getting the silent cue and they walked in quiet to the rooms.

"They bug you here and I kill them," Merlin said as he led Ethan to a bed that seemed to appear on it's own.

Ethan lay on it and curled into himself, trying to blot the tears away but they still came. Merlin let him cry. He turned his attention to his lesson plans. Time would sort everything out, he knew. But was there enough?



Chapter 5: Arguing Again

Snape walked into the great hall the next morning to see Merlin sitting next to his chair. He was nervous as he sat next to his son but Merlin smiled encouragingly. Merlin seemed to care. It shocked him. He was almost sure his son hated him. Now, he watched as Remus walked into the room slowly and if he were in pain. The full moon had just passed. Snape looked at Merlin and understood. This was a test. Could he get over his prejudice?

"Lupin," Snape called. "Please come to my classroom after breakfast. I have a potion to help you aches."

"Thank you, Severus," Remus said, trying to hide his shock.

Merlin smiled and looked at his father.

"See? It's not that hard, now is it?" Merlin asked teasingly.

"No, it isn't," Snape had to admit.

He was watching Black and Giles in the shadows and he felt anger. Black was needling Giles, trying to start a fight and he knew, without a doubt, that Ethan would be in the middle. Enough was enough. That man had been the focus of Black's needling for enough years. Snape stood then and walked to the shadows where they were. Merlin followed.

"Enough!" Snape hissed. "Black, you're disgusting. Your little brother is not an object to be fought over. He is a person. He is not a possession for your family. Have you not learned yet? He changed his name because of the fighting. Enough is enough!"

"What do you know of it, Snape?" Black asked, "Ethan has power my family wanted."

"And what was your family. Black? They hated his mixed blood. Well, his power is his and he uses it how he wishes to now. Leave him and Ripper alone. Neither of them needs your bullshit today. His Slayer died. He lost a piece of his soul when that happened. If you don't wish to be beaten within an inch of your life, you'll stop now. Am I making myself clear?"

Sirius sneered but backed off, for now.

"Thank you," Ripper said. "I promised Ethan I would try not to fight with him."

"And you're doing an excellent job. If you need help, let me know. Ethan matters to Merlin so he matters to me as well. As do you Rupert Giles"

Snape returned to his seat and Merlin and Ethan both smiled at him. Giles moved away from his brother Sirius, closer to Ethan. Ethan smiled and returned to his own breakfast. The meal progressed until Lucius Malfoy entered the hall. Merlin smiled coldly as he walked up to the head of the
table.

"I would like to meet my son's new DADA teacher. I do not think any Weasley should be teaching."

"Not even the premiere Aurorer in the Wizarding World?" Merlin said as he stood up. "My name is Merlin Weasley, Mr. Malfoy. I teach DADA this year. Tell your son if he wishes to pass my class, he'll do his damn assignments because Daddy's money cannot buy a passing grade from me."

"You---you're---but...."

"Seeing a shock here?" Merlin asked. "You know who I am. Don't make me angry with you. You know what I can do if you do."

Merlin hopped down off the dais and headed out of the hall to prepare for his class. Snape smiled at Lucius.

"You never knew what he looked like, did you Lucius?" Snape asked as he and Lupin went down to the dungeons. Lucius just stared after them
in shock, unable to make a single, coherent sound. Draco had no idea what was wrong with his father but whatever it was, he hoped to use it to his advantage.



6: Arguing about Blood

"Merlin is a wicked cool teacher," Ron exclaimed as he and Harry and Hermoine left the DADA room. Harry shrugged as he followed them down the hallway. Merlin Weasley. It could have been Snape when he got angry for a minute. But not at the class or the vampires helping him. No, he got angry about the prejudices in the Wizarding World. He'd snarled and his lip had curled just like Snape's. And then, then he'd told them that the textbooks were wrong and to not believe everything they read. Some things appeared Evil but weren't. Just like all humans looked human but some had blacker hearts than any demon could. He'd used Adolph Hitler as an example and that had rattled several of the muggle borns. For the pure bloods, Merlin had assigned a book and a 2-foot Essay on WWII to be handed in the next class. Everyone who didn't know about the World Wars had been sent to the library to study it. Merlin was going to get through to them, even if it hurt.

"Harry, is something wrong?" Ron asked.

"Your brother is a Snape. Doesn't that worry you?" Harry asked.

"I mean we know professor Snape was a Death Eater, what if it's Like Father Like Son?"

"Merlin wouldn't be a Death Eater Harry. You don't know what you're talking about."

"But he's half Snape," Harry began.

"And All Weasley, Harry, stop. Merlin is not a Death Eater. He's been fighting Evil in LA for years and he ought on the Hellmouth once. Merlin is not bad. Besides, he doesn't even look like Snape unless he's angry and that only happens once in a blue moon," Hermoine said.

Harry grumbled something under his breath and Ron grabbed him by the front of his robe.

"Harry, you're my best friend, ever," Ron said. "But don't pick on my brother. You'll have every member of my family after you if you do. Merlin is not evil. Merlin is Merlin. He's worked with Slayers and the Vampire with a Soul. Merlin is my brother. If you can't get over your prejudices, maybe we shouldn't be friends."

"Ron!" Merlin's voice called from the end of the hallway. "Enough. He's young and he's never dealt with this before but I'll wager he's heard his aunt and uncle's opinion on it. I am not a bad person, Harry. My parentage aside. You're behaving as Ron did when he discovered professor Lupin was a werewolf. Is that what you want to be?"

Harry stopped and thought about it for a minute. He looked at Merlin, his smiling face and gentle eyes and he saw a Weasley, not a Snape.

"I'm sorry," Harry said. "I guess I just didn't think."

"It isn't your fault," Merlin said. His head snapped around a moment later and he growled. "Dammit, I said to leave them alone!"

Harry, Ron and Hermoine followed Merlin and he seemed to fly down the corridor. Actually, he was just running very fast. The three teens chased after him and caught up with him where Sirius and Ripper were fighting physically this time. Actually, Ripper was kicking the crap out of Sirius. Ethan was in a corner, just trying to block it all out. The shouting the two of them were doing and the screaming and such.

"ENOUGH!!!!" Merlin screamed. He petrified both of them.

Ripper fell on his ass and Sirius just continued to lie on the floor. Merlin stalked over to the both of them, grabbing Ripper's arm after un petrifying him and grabbed Sirius by his as well.

"What the hell is wrong with you two huh? That is your brother! He is not a possession to fight over. Sirius, you were warned Ripper would beat you if you kept pushing, what is your problem?!?!"

"There is no Slayer," Sirius said softly.

Merlin growled. "Do not ever say that in front of Angel. He'll kill you for denying his mate's life and belittling her sacrifice. Get over yourself, Black. Ethan is not a thing to be fought over, he is a person. He has the right to choose his own life and he hurts with this constant fighting. I should have let Giles beat you because Gods know you have pushed him. Someone he loved Died, Ethan nearly died, he's emotionally raw right now. Knock. It. OFF!"

There was no spell to magnify his voice but there was power in the shout that sent Sirius staggering into a wall. "If you don't, Black, I swear you'll rue the Damn day you pissed around with me!"

He walked away then, anger seeming to drain off of him as he helped Ethan to his feet.

"We're going to our rooms now. When you can stop pushing Ripper, we'll be back. Ripper, come along."



7: And Voldemort Says?

"WHAT!??!??!! How can that be?"

"The Rape, master," Lucius said deferentially to Voldemort. "He lied about the results of the rape. The man has to be his son. Dark haired and no Weasley has dark hair. Merlin Weasley has power, master. Also, Ethan Rayne, Ripper Giles and Sirius Black are all at the school. Ethan Rayne is Chaos incarnate. His power would do you well. If he can be made to serve you."

"Chaos' Degenerate Son? No, Lucius, he will not serve us. He has made his choice, as have his brothers. And to kill him is to unleash Hell on earth. There will be nothing left as if Ethan Rayne dies, Chaos will have no check. I do not think even he is aware of what he truly controls. Perhaps sometime someone will tell him or he will figure it out. Merlin Weasley is an obstacle that can and must be removed however."

"Not so easily, master," Lucius said. "He is protected by Angelus the Butcher, Scourge of Europe."

"Really? I wonder how that came about. Perhaps you can discover that for me?"

"I shall endeavor to do my best, Lord. Merlin Weasley---Lord, he has blue Eyes."

"WHAT?!?! Impossible!"

"Lord, I assure you, his eyes are blue. He threatened me with his aura. He is not one to be taken lightly. He is---Powerful."

"Yes, he is, then," Voldemort, said. There was something about Angelus he was trying to remember but he did not know what. It was in his head somewhere; he just did not know what it was.

OOOOOOOO

At Hogwarts, Sirius black was thinking. Thinking long and hard about the past, about Ethan and why he had run away. Thinking about everything that led to him getting hit by a car. Everything. The arguing that had finally made him run into the middle of the street, the tears he had heard at night and ignored. All of those things. And when he looked in the mirror, he did not like what he saw looking back. He finally realized what Ripper had realized.

And he did not like himself very much. At least Ripper had had the balls to go after Ethan. At least Ripper had bothered to look.

In another part of the castle, Angel was sitting thinking. This had to stop. He had seen Harry and he had recognized him. Harry Potter. Angel looked down at a very old piece of parchment he had kept all his life.

"Liam Potter," it was addressed. He had gone to school here. He and Spike both. Angel looked down at the letter and just stared at it. If Harry was his relative, then there was going to be hell to pay by his Muggle Family. Angel would insure it. He looked up as Dumbledore came into his room. The old Headmaster sat down at the table and looked at Angel.

"You already know it's true, Angel. I do not know what you will do with the information but you know. He is your nephew."

"Then he leaves with me at the end of the school year," Angel.

"You should have called me when his parents died. I can protect him, hell my Demon could protect him better than those half assed relatives you left him with. He leaves with me and you had better not cross me on it."

"No, I wont, Angelus. Just, take care of him."

"Oh, I plan to," Angel said. "I plan to."




Chapter 8: Chaos Revealed

Ethan was dreaming. He'd been sleeping and then suddenly his dreams had turned nasty. He was seeing the arguments again and yet, he was seeing something else as well. Seeing patterns and energy and things he didn't quite realize he could touch and control. And yet, part of him knew he could.
Part of him knew that was not normal.

"Who am I?" he asked the whirling mass around him.

There was a face in the energy swirling about him. Janus himself. Why Janus though? Why was Janus here?

"Don't seek your answers where they are not," the God of Chaos said. "Seek in yourself, my son. Chaos' Child. Born in Chaos, Lord of Chaos. You are that which is feared by Voldemort. You are what he cannot kill as you are Power that he cannot master. Ethan, Son of my Soul, you are Chaos. He cannot kill you and so he knows he will never win. You are Chaos, Ethan. Chaos bows to no master. The Ministry cannot order you. Be that which you are, Son of my Soul. Be the Master of this power and use it to do that which is needed. You can stop Unforgivable curses, my child. Do so. You can heal the damage from those curses. Do so. Be the man you are, Ethan. Chaos Bleeds. But Chaos Heals as well. Wake now, my son. Wake and know yourself. There are those who need you. Wake."

Ethan woke with a gasp and gestured blindly for a moment. A lamp lit at his thought. He said nothing but he thought of what he wanted and he was dressed by his thoughts. What he wished to eat appeared at his thought. Ethan was confused. This was more than magic. This was power. Power that he had not courted and yet it was his. Power he could use to do wonderful things. Like healing Neville's parents. That would be first. That was important.

He moved himself to the great hall and sat looking up at the enchanted ceiling. He changed the clouds to the colors of a sunset and he just watched them, practicing with his gifts on them.

"Ethan?" Giles asked from the doorway.

Ethan looked at him and smiled. He gestured for Giles to come in. Sirius who looked up at the clouds followed Giles.

"What is that?" he asked confused.

Ethan looked up and the clouds changed again. To storm clouds.

Giles laughed as it began to rain inside but nothing got wet. Sirius looked and saw it was Ethan doing it.

"I understand now," he said to his brothers. "All that I am, all that I was intended to be, is here. It is the power of nature itself. Power that can never be ordered. Power that Voldemort does not want unchecked. I am Primal Chaos. That's why no wand could choose me properly until now. I have to go to Ollivanders soon. But I have to go to St. Mungo's first."

"Why?" Giles asked.

Sirius' expression said he wanted to know the same.

"Because there are those there I can help," Ethan said. "There are those there who are needed by their son. Frank and Annie Longbottom."

"You can heal them?" Sirius asked.

Ethan nodded curtly. "I was told that I could heal the unforgivable curses. I plan to do just that. I can also block them."

"Whoa!" Sirius exclaimed, as he finally understood what his parents had wanted. They wanted the power Ethan had. And suddenly, Lily's one shot at prophesizing came to him.

"When Chaos Rises, the Dark Lord will meet a force he cannot control or defeat. He will know his fall by Chaos' Blood."



Chapter 9: Chaos Heals

St. Mungo's was a fairly fearsome place, Giles thought using one of Faith's words. It was full of injured and sick but the ward they were in was full of mentally injured. He and Sirius had come along to see what Ethan was doing. They ahd never hard of this kind of healing but Ethan said he could do it and Giles had never doubted Ethan could do what he said he could.

Giles watched him stand between Frank and Annie and place his hands on their shoulders, giving a light squeeze to each before he placed his palms on their heads. Then he began a soft humming that led to a rush of air sweeping in to the rooms. Giles wasn't sure what it was that he was doing but it
was tremendous power being called.

Air was called to scour he knew. It was used to scour our bits of debris and Giles knew Ethan had begun by clearing away what was hidden I their heads. The damage to Crucitatus was being scoured off the metaphysical walls in their minds. Ethan was doing this by touch, which amazed Giles. He'd never thought to see Chaos used to heal anything.

Then came moistness in the air. Water to smooth and sooth and wash away the pain. Water to was away the pain and blood and the terrible images that were all Frank and Annie had in their minds. Ethan was very gently cleaning out the wounds to be sure he ahd everything and washing away the pain from the damage as he worked. Giles was aware that all the elements would be used during the biggest part of the healing yet to come.

Then Earth to ground. Giles tasted an irony tang in the room that signified that Ethan had called Earth. Earth to stabilize and lay a foundation to build from. Earth to ground the two minds in the here and now while he repaired what was broken. And that left Fire to be called. And then---Then there was a flash of heat and Giles knew he had called Fire but he wasn't sure what it was to be used for until lines of flame appeared in the room as if Ethan needed to map what he was doing for himself. He was rebuilding pathways. Using the fire to destroy the damaged ones and rebuilding them with new, clean and clear paths. Giles could not believe this. Nor could Sirius. They had known it would be spectacular to see but to actually understand what Ethan was doing was unbelievable. It was if the ministry and Medi-Wizards had the power Ethan did this curse would be curable. Ethan then began to meld the elements in the healing, using their natural Chaos to power his spell but using the Elements in their purest energies to restore Frank and Annie Longbottom.

Finally it was done. Giles felt each element leave. The temperature dropped and the irony tang left the air. That was earth and Fire. He kept Water and Air and Giles realized he was using it to sooth them back to the waking world. He released Water next as Frank and Annie opened their eyes and for the first time in 15 years there was recognition in them. Finally, Ethan released Air and then he dropped to one knee momentarily. He smiled at his brothers and Giles felt himself smiling back. Sirius did as well. Frank and Annie looked at them and knew time had passed.

"How?" Frank asked weakly. He was weak from not having moved in the past week.

Sirius chuckled. "Chaos heals," he said, as he understood. "Chaos Bleeds and Chaos Heals and Ethan used it to heal you. Oh, you never met my brothers. This is Rupert Giles and Ethan Rayne. Ethan is Chaos. And Chaos Heals."




Chapter 10: Reunion

Neville was scared. He'd never been called to the Headmaster's office before. What had he done now? He followed Professor McGonnogall who was looking happy about something. She seemed so happy she was crying in some ways. Neville just followed and hoped he wasn't about to be kicked out of school. Up the steps to the headmaster's office, past the gargoyle. (This week's password having been Gummi Bear) and into the circular office where his grandmother was standing talking to two people facing away from him. He recognized Professor Rayne standing to the side watching as well as Professor Giles and Professor Black.

"Albus," Professor McGonnogall called. The Headmaster smiled at Neville.

"Neville," he said, "Please come in."

Neville walked over and stood facing him.

"Neville, Professor Rayne has done something remarkable. A new form of healing. Both mind and body. He could have chosen to try it on anyone in St. Mungo's but he chose patients who were needed in the world by someone. He chose your parents, Neville. And he was successful."

"He---he was?" Neville asked nervously.

Dumbledore nodded and turned Neville so he was facing the same way as his grandmother. He stared at the smiling faces seated in the high back chairs before his composure broke an he ran to them, being engulfed in a hug from his parents for the first time in his life.

"Baby," his mother whispered. "Baby, you've grown. We are so proud of you."

"But I'm not powerful," Neville said quietly.

Frank shook his head. "You are you, Neville," he said. "I wasn't powerful in school either. Neither was your mother. Neville, you try, and that is enough for us."

Neville looked into his father's eyes and then his mother's and saw they meant it. It really didn't matter to them. He spied Ethan standing against the wall watching with a slight smile and he released his parents to run and hug Ethan as well.

"Thank you," Neville whispered. "Thank you so much."

"You're welcome," Ethan said just as quietly. "I was very glad to be able to do it. Now, go be with your parents. I think you can be excused from classes for a day or two."

"Oh, most definitely," Dumbledore said as Neville just hugged his parents again.

Ethan smiled and turned to leave.

Prudence Longbottom, Neville's grandmother, stopped him with a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Ethan," she said. "You don't know what this means
to us. And for anyone else's opinion? I think you grew up just fine. Chaos and all."

Ethan chuckled and kissed her hand before walking out of the office.

Giles and Sirius caught up with him a few moments later. "You did a good thing, Ethan," Giles said hugging his brother. "A great thing."

Ethan shrugged. "It needed to be done," he told them. "It needed to be done."




11: Brothers All

Merlin Weasley, AKA Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, looked up at the building in front of him and shuddered. It was hard for him to imagine Percy working in this place but then, since he'd left, he'd heard Percy had changed. Merlin hoped to hell it wasn't because of him leaving but he had a feeling it was.

Of all of the Weasley kids, only he and Percy had preferred books to anything else and he knew the others would have made cruel fun of his brother
for that difference.

He sighed as he walked in, heading for the office he knew Percy worked in.

This place was ordered and drab it wasn't funny. It seemed so...empty of anything even remotely nice and calming or amusing or relaxing. Even the break room was barren. Wesley wondered if the people who worked here even got breaks? He walked to the office Ginny told him Percy worked in and he saw his brother immediately, hunched over a desk writing. By the look on his face, Wesley could tell he was bored and God, he looked so tired. Wesley had a feeling Percy was rarely home anymore because he was never allowed to leave.

That was going to change, even if he had to call Angel to help him. He walked around so he was leaning over Percy's shoulder as he looked down at the parchment and he sighed.

"Tell me, Perce," he said. "Is that as mind-numbingly boring as it looks?"

He smiled as Percy spun away from his desk and looked up at him.

"Merlin!" Percy cried. Merlin chuckled and hugged his brother tightly as Percy got to his feet unsteadily. Wesley could feel how thin he was under the robe and he felt a sharp flare of anger.

"So, what's a kid like you doing working in this Anteroom of Hell?" Wesley asked as he flicked his younger brother's hair off his face.

Percy looked down slowly, not wanting to meet his brother's gaze not realizing Wesley had already seen the look.

"Perce," Wesley began, "You are an artist. Why did you stop drawing? I loved those cartoons you'd send me."

"No one wanted to look at them," the younger man said. "Father asked why I wasted time drawing when I could be playing Quidditch and mum said I'd never get a good job if I didn't learn to study more."

And Wesley sighed feeling anger at the family. This was...it was beyond infuriating. "I'm sorry, Perce," Wesley said. "I should have left my address for you. I like your pictures.

"You can't," Percy whispered. "No one does. Mother said they were..not good. Father...I just...they wanted.."

'Screw what they want, Perce. What do you want? You're my little brother, Percy. I know you. And this," he gestured around the office that was so neat and orderly and so...not his brother it was disturbing to see him here it was scary, "Is not you. You are an artist and a musician. Do you know no one else in your family can play music? No one, Perce. You're special in that."

"No one else thinks so," Percy whispered. "They mock my art, hate me. I'm sorry; nothing works for me, Merlin. This is what they wanted, me gone. I gave it to them. I was everything they pushed for and it wasn't enough. Never enough."

"I think it's time to go, Perce. You don't belong here. You aren't made for this. So, wanna come with me? Get some dinner?"

"But father..." Percy began.

"Just quit, Perce. I did from the Watchers, remember that job? I was offered a chance to come back and I said go to hell. Let it go. This isn't you. Come with me. There are better places for you in this world. This place is not one of them"

"O-okay."

Wesley nodded and pulled Percy's cloak on, wrapping it around his shoulders. He looked up at the man in the pinstriped suit and the lime bowler hat he saw standing in the doorway and raised his right hand. The hand was glowing, as he looked the man in the eyes.

"He's resigning, effective immediately," Wesley said. And then he wrapped his arms around his brother and teleported them out. They reappeared in the square and Wesley caught Percy as he collapsed. Wesley growled as he hauled his brother into his arms and transported again. This time to Hogwarts. He removed the ministry badge from his brother's robes and dropped it on the ground, stomping on it and then he carried him inside. There was something that needed to be discussed between him and his parents. Something major.

He took Percy up to his rooms and laid him down, seeing Angel walking out of the bathroom where he knew the vampire had gone to get cleaned up while he was collecting his brother.

"Do me a favor, Angel?" Wesley asked. When Angel nodded Wesley continued.

"Watch over this one for me and if anyone tries to bother him, hit them, really hard. I don't care who it is."

And then he turned around and walked away and Angel, having seen the blatant anger in his eyes, pitied whoever was going to be on the receiving end of it. Cause they'd be lucky to be alive before he calmed down or finished with them. Oddly, Angel smiled about that.



Chapter 12: Dressing Down

"What the hell were you two thinking?!" Merlin snarled at his parents seated in the formal chairs in the headmaster's office. 'Why Percy and not Ron? Why not me? Why the one who loved art more than anything? What the hell is wrong with you idiots? You can't have carbon copies. It doesn't work that way. You pushed him and he's broken. You punished him by withholding the love and support he needed. You punished him for not being me. And it had damn well better stop or I'll turn my power on you! God, maybe I should have chosen Snape and taken Percy with me! At least he would have cared that the boy was not like me. Or Bill or Charlie or Fred or George or Ron or your precious Ginny. Percy isn't perfect god damn you! He's a boy! A sad, frightened little boy inside who just wanted someone to look and see him and not his older brothers or his younger brothers and sister and see the personality he had as something special and a gift and not as something to be sneered at and looked down on! He's a child! Just like I sodding well was!"

"Merlin, please," he heard his mother plead. But he was long past listening. He was enraged about the deadness in Percy's eyes and he was no longer inclined to listen to them.

"You killed him," Merlin hissed. The worst words he could say to them but something had to get it across to them that what they had done was wrong. "You killed the most precious gift you'd ever been given. Differences should be Sodding well Celebrated, not sneered at and spat on! You don't deserve the gift that is that child. And you'd better pray I can fix him or I swear you wont have to worry about Voldemort killing you."

"Why?" his mother asked in the start of one her tempers, which he knew had caused part of Percy's problem.

"You scared him with this anger didn't you? I can just hear you now: 'No, don't draw, it's a waste.' 'No, don't play, the others can do that, you study.' Gods you make me sick. Both of you! And as for why? I'll bloody tell you why. If I can't heal him and bring him back to life, I'll kill you and save the dark wizards the trouble! I don't know what's more evil, what you do to your children or what they do to people they don't know! At least with them it's impersonal! You're sodding torturing your own flesh and blood and it stops now. Because if it doesn't? I'll. Stop. YOU!"

And Wesley spun, his coat flaring out behind him as he stormed out of the headmaster's office and ran into his father.

"I'd like to borrow part of your house this summer," Wesley/Merlin told him. 'If only so I can try to heal my brother away from those two vipers."

"Of course, Merlin. I'll se to it a key is made for you. Do you think you can heal that boy?"

"I can but try," he told his father. And then he headed back to his room. Snape looked into the headmaster's office where the two Weasley parents sat stunned and staring at the rage that was Wesley/Merlin. My, he was certainly angry.

"I don't want to be you if he can't fix Percy," Snape said. "I may have forgotten to mention those of my family have extremely long fuses to our tempers mostly but Heaven help you if you set one of us off for real. AND I am afraid you did in how you treated Percy, set Merlin off very badly. SO, May God have mercy on your souls. Because he won't."



END PART 12