title: Blood for Blood 4. Out of the Forest

Author: otsoko

e-mail otsoko@hotmail.com

Summary: Riley and Graham meet the enemy.

Rating: NC-17

Content: Riley/Graham SLASH!

Category: Blood for Blood #4

Spoilers: BtVS, Season 5

Distribution: Help yourself, just let me know.

Feedback: It really helps to know someone is reading it. Criticisms welcome.

Disclaimer: Joss owns them. just playing. promise

ACK: For the beta-ing and encouragement, Mistress Ace and Wirrrn. May Lord Bow-Hunter and Lord Small-Jaguar protect all whom you love from the forces of Xibalba.

 

Blood For Blood 4: Out Of The Forest

by Otsoko

Suddenly we were at the edge of a clearing in the jungle, and there it was, rising out of the flat terrain, rising stories in the air, a man-made mountain of stone, overgrown with green. There was another overgrown building off to left, forming the corner of a sort of plaza. We all stood there for a moment taking it all in.

The Colonel gave a hand signal, and we all snapped back into mission mode. My eyes opened, scanning the surroundings, I undid the safety on the flame thrower and carefully fingered the trigger. I took a deep breath, and got myself calmed down and ready. I glanced over at Riley, who held his weapon at the ready. Riley glanced over at me and we exchanged nods. I nodded towards the smaller ruin, Riley nodded back and carefully made his way over, while I headed towards the side of the smaller building next to the taller pyramid.

The Colonel went with Bauer as he led his squad towards the pyramid.

As they approached the building, I picked up the sound of ... chanting. But more familiar. I motioned for the other guys to hold up. I cocked my head. then moved closer, slowly, quietly. Still listening.

Riley made his way silently towards the doorway. I moved in from the other side. From the trampled plants in front of the stone lintel, it was clear that this doorway was being used, a lot.

The report had been that the demon tribe had been preying on the missionaries. I leaned just outside the stone doorway and listened carefully.

Not chanting. Preaching, in that rhythmic preaching style that I remembered from my youth. I began to make out the words. English, with an American accent:

"For it was the *human*, in the garden,
who had the disgrace to go first
in that horrrrrrrid transgression
of their first parents
that has been the source of ALLLLL our misery ... "

There was a demonic chorus of 'Amen's.

"And many sons and daughters of Eve
would yet stray from virtue..."

There was a stream of laughs and applause from the congregation, and more 'Amen's.

I swallowed hard. The Colonel's report had it wrong: the demonic tribe wasn't preying on the missionaries. The demonic tribe *were* the missionaries.

Probably preying on the locals. I had to smile at that one, preying on the locals instead of praying for the locals.

OK, I got a childish sense of humour.

I quickly motioned for the squad to be ready to move in. A signal to Riley to watch the other side of the door, and for two of the guys to circle round to see if there was another entrance. I worked hard at controlling my breathing, staying calm. Keeping my body ready for action.

It seemed like forever for the two doing the recon to report back, both shook their heads. Ok. One way in, one way out.

I looked at Riley and raised a quizzical eyebrow. Riley gave me a curt serious nod in return: Ready.

I nodded slowly once, twice and on the third, we both eased inside, weapons at the ready. There was just enough light from the candles to see about 25 demons facing an altar of sorts, above which a guy was hung upside down, his throat slit, a trickle of blood still dripping down into a shallow bowl.

The demon preacher saw us. "Humans!" He screeched. The demonic congregation turned as one.

I opened up on them with the flame thrower even as Riley sprayed them with his machine gun.

Two other guys from the squad burst in and joined in the massacre.

Riley practically had to cut the preacher in half with bullets before he stopped his charge.

The whole thing took maybe 40 seconds. But I knew that in my dreams, it would seem like hours, remembering every detail as bullets and flames hit the demons, as the light from the flame-thrower illuminated the body hanging upside down of the demons' latest ... and last ... victim.

Riley and I checked out the rest of the building looking for other demons or other demons, as the squad pulled the rest of the bodies out, some still smoldering. They tossed them in a pile in front of the building, and once we had swept the building, I came out and emptied the flame thrower on the pile.

The plaza reeked of kerosene and burning flesh. Almost like human flesh burning, but slightly sweeter. It was starting to worry me a bit that I was beginning to be able to distinguish the smell of different species of HSTs burning.

I looked around, the Colonel waved me over. I started to pull the empty tank of my back. "Ri, gimme a hand here!"

Riley nodded and came over and helped me get it off. "Thanks, bro."

He nodded. It had been good to see the old Riley, the real Riley back.

As I headed over the Colonel, I put a hand on Riley's shoulder, "Glad you're here, Ri."

"Thanks." Riley said softly and then nodded manfully, like it was an effort.

I strode over to the Colonel. "Yes, sir?"

The Colonel looked grim. "Around back ... " He looked down. I sighed. Worst part of the job. The guy hanging up wouldn't have been the first of their victims. I nodded. The Colonel led me to the back of the pyramid. There was a pile of bodies, human bodies. Maybe twenty of them. All of them drained of blood. Some were fresh, some were decomposing, some were almost completely decomposed. It was clear that this had become a favourite feeding place for a number of jungle animals.

I turned away, the stench was overwhelming. I was working hard to choke back the urge to puke.

 

==================

END PART 4