Title: Berserker Consequences

Author: Kate R.

Disclaimer: Everyone belongs to Joss I think

Rating: R I think

Pairings: None yet

Summary: Buffy gets mad and someone pays the price.


Berserker Consequences
By Kate R.

He heard thuds as he approached the library. Repeated thuds like something being hammered. He was coming to see Giles about help in English and he hoped the librarian could do it. Giles was so busy after all, Xander thought. Researching for Buffy and all.

"My life sucks, Giles! I failed another test because I was patrolling last night and not studying!" He heard Buffy screaming as he opened the doors to the library. "I hate it! I hate not having a social life! I hate not having fun! I hate it. I Hate It. I HATE IT!!!"

Xander froze at what he saw as he walked into the library: Buffy was holding Giles by the throat slamming him into the wall. His face was turning and interesting shade of blue as his hands scrabbled at Buffy's trying to make her release the grip. She seemed to tighten it then and Xander heard the gasping get worse as Giles began to get frantic. He couldn't breathe and Xander could see red from where his head was impacting with the wall over and over again. Xander knew it was blood. He could se Blood on Giles' face too and bruises.

"ANGEL! SPIKE!" He yelled as he ran at Buffy taking her down from the side. "HELP!!"

He knew the tow vampires were in the school and he heard the doors to the library slam open as they heeded his call and ran in to where Xander was trying to hold Buffy.

"One of you hold her!" Xander yelled as Angel grabbed her feet and Spike her upper body. Xander got over to where Giles was laying like a broken toy against the checkout desk where the force of Buffy's arm swinging when Xander had hit her sent him.

"Giles?" he asked worriedly. "Giles? Can you hear me?"

The gasping sound was getting worse, not better, and Xander could see Blood on his face from what was obviously a punctured lung. Giles could not breathe. Xander grabbed the phone behind the counter and dialed 911 telling them he needed an ambulance and where. Then, he held Giles' hand even though he knew Giles had long since lost consciousness.

The doors to the library opened again and the EMT's came in with a gurney and bags of equipment. They got over to the man on the floor and even they could hear the wheezing.

"How long?" one asked.

Xander looked at him confused.

"Has he been unconscious?" the medic clarified.

"Oh," Xander began. "Uhm---I guess about ten minutes. He's having trouble getting air into his lungs and he can't breathe right."

"Okay, son, can you tell us what happened? Who beat this man like this?"

"She did," Xander, said pointing to where Buffy was still struggling against the vampires. "She was screaming about how her life sucked and she was hitting him and choking him and you can see where his head impacted with the walls a few times and I don't know what else she did. I just came in about---."

"He asked for it!" Buffy screamed. "He asked for it! It's his fault! All of it!"

She slammed her foot down against Angel's instep and he lost his grip on her. Then, she kicked Spike and ran out of the library through the stacks.

"Dammit!" Angel growled.

The EMT shook his head. "Later!" He called the big vampire. "We have to get him to the
hospital now! He's not doing well."

Angel nodded and got moving with the gurney.

Xander got into the ambulance and Angel said they'd be right behind them in his car.
All through the ride, Xander held Giles' hand and begged him to hold on. He couldn't die. Not now. He was the only father Xander had. The only father that cared about him enough to pay attention to him.

"He's strong, son," the older EMT said as his partner drove them to the hospital. "He's held on this long, shows a good sign cause son, he's been beaten badly and has a lot of broken stuff inside so if he's still with us here, there's a good chance he ain't going anywhere."

Xander nodded and swallowed. He held Giles' hand until they got to the hospital and then he had to go to a waiting room because Giles was going into immediate surgery. The damage was that bad and all Xander could do was wait, hope---and Pray.

"Please, Giles," he whispered. "Please be okay. Please."

END PART 1

abelard950@aol.com