Title: Ares' Chosen

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: The characters Belong to Joss, Ren Pics and the Gods belong to themselves.

Pairings: Ares/Wes, Angel/Spike, Cupid/Strife, Giles/Ethan

Sequel: Yes, to Chosen, my 200 word odd couple pairing

Summary: Ares aids his chosen one'


Ares' Chosen
by Kate R.



Prologue: Seeing Himself

Wesley woke up hen his alarm went off feeling rested and refreshed as he always did after one his Spectacularly good nights. Those nights where he was loved. He knew it was real but it felt like a dream so he often thought of them as dreams. The only sign it was real were the gift that were always there in the morning whether he had been with his lover or not.

"You'd look divine in leather and silk," his lover often told him, as they lay entwined together. "It would suit you so much better than the tweed."

"I couldn't carry it off," Wesley had replied.

"Bullshit," his lover had said. "You can do it and one day I will prove it to you. Don't you know what I see in you?"

After that the gifts had started. First was the mirror.

Hephaestian metal he was sure. It wasn't pewter or silver so it had to be the only other silver metal. The mirror was the first gift. The note had said "Look and See."

The second gift was a pair of leather pants. The note with them had said simply "Try."

The third gift had been a beautiful silk shirt. Pale ivory in color and smooth as anything. "Touch" the note had said.

A vest had been the third gift. It matched the pants. "See yourself as I do," that note had said.

Wesley had tried the outfit on and was amazed that it fit him. And it felt wonderfully indescribable. The next day, there had been boots. They fit with the rest of the outfit. Simple cuts, which suited his personality. Nothing flamboyant or ridiculous. Just...Wesley.

The day after that, he had woken up with his ear pierced and a dagger shaped earring there. He had slipped it in and taken to wearing it. Even if it did look odd with the tweed.

Today's gift was a dagger. Ornately made and with a feel of power. Also there was a belt that went with the pants. The note said simply "Dress and Look at yourself."

Once he was dressed he looked in the mirror, a floor length version of the smaller one he had that he always kept with him, and he froze. He carefully slipped off his glasses and slowly smiled at what he saw. The man looking back at him was a confident looking man who knew someone loved him. Even if it was just a man who only came at night. He looked in the mirror for a full ten minutes before slowly setting his glasses down on the table next to it. He did not need them so it was time to stop wearing them. They were part of a mask he wore. Nothing more.

His alarm clock buzzed again and he cursed looking at the time.

No time to change and if he were honest with himself, which he tried to be, he really didn't want to change.

"You look divine," the rich voice whispered in his mind. He smiled and left, taking the dagger and belt with him. Someone believed in him.

It was a feeling he was still getting used to. He headed to the high school with a swing in his step and feeling lighter than he had in awhile. For the first time in his life, He was happy. Truly Happy.

Walking into the library and he felt rather than saw everyone staring.

"Ignore the snide," the voice whispered. "They cannot see what is in front of them. Perhaps they should look in my mirror?"

Wesley chuckled as he walked past Buffy and took his seat at the table. He didn't just sit there, he took that seat.

It was new for the kids to see him do something like that. He casually reached for the book and opened it, ignoring the whispers and the snideness of the children. There was not time. Work had to be done. He finally saw it. And he saw himself and he realized, for the first time in his life, there was nothing wrong with him at all.

It was a nice thing to see.



Chapter 1: Reflections

"That outfit suits you Wesley," Giles said as he came out of his office. "It looks as if it was literally made for you."

"I think it was," Wesley said softly. Giles raised an eyebrow.

"Oh?" the elder Watcher asked sounding almost as paternal to Wesley as he was to the other children. "By whom?"

"Someone who loves me," Wesley said softly as he continued to translate. He was speaking in his normal tone as opposed to the affected, high attitude voice he normally spoke with and Giles was surprised to hear it.

"Well, you look good, whatever the reason," Giles said. "Will we get to meet this person who loves you?"

"Maybe some day," Wesley said as he kept working.

"What is he trying to prove?" Buffy asked acidly. Wesley did not respond but then, he didn't have to. Giles responded for him.

"Nothing, Buffy," Giles said. "He is not trying to prove a damn thing anymore. He's simply being Wesley. And that is all he needs to be."

She stared as Giles then chose to sit by Wesley and work with him as opposed to training her. She couldn't believe Giles chose him over her.

She fumed wondering what was wrong with everyone now? Wesley not dressing like a dork and looking totally hot though she'd vehemently deny it. How did he pull that outfit off? He didn't normally have the confidence to pull tweed off let alone leather and silk.

"Hi all," Cordelia said as she walked into the library. "Wesley, you're like a total boy scout. Do you have a mirror I can use to check my make up?"

"Mm," Wesley said not paying attention to what he pulled from the inside pocket of the vest. "Here."

"Thanks," she said as she looked into it. "I...Wow! Is this me?!"

Wesley looked up and saw the mirror she was looking in. He chuckled and nodded.

"Whatever you see is the truth of what you are," he said. "Within you is the potential to be the person you see in that mirror."

"But I see a person who doesn't need..." She began sounding stunned.

"Then you don't need whatever you don't see," Wesley said. "It's a special mirror, Cordelia. It reflects your very soul."

"Really?" she said. "Cool. Here Giles. What do you see?"

Giles raised an eyebrow but took the mirror and looked into it. He inhaled sharply as he saw a face he'd tried so hard to forget. "Ethan," he whispered as he stared. "I see Ethan."

"Really?" Cordelia asked. "Why?"

"Because Ethan...Ethan is...I...Ow!" Giles yelped and clutched his head and Wesley caught his arm. He felt the touch of his lover as he held Giles and realized his lover was doing something to help.

"My soul," Giles finally managed to say. And when he did it seemed something snapped. "Ethan. Is. My. Soul."

"Then go to him," Cordelia said. "He's never very far right?"

"Right," Giles whispered as he stood, slowly shaking off whatever had held him for this long. Everyone realized he looked a lot bigger now. Bigger and full of power.

"Giles?" Buffy asked. "What is it? What did you see?"

She grabbed the mirror from the table, looked into it, and screamed.

"And so we see the nastiness of ourselves," Wesley said as she stared at the mirror and then threw it as hard as she could at the wall. It never hit though. It stopped and hovered in mid air before returning to the table by Wesley's arm.

"Veritas," Giles whispered as he saw the word.

Willow looked and she too shrieked in horror. "That isn't me!" She yelled. 'I'm not an ugly crone."

"True," Wesley answered. "You are a hag. Xander? Would you care to try your luck?"

"Yeah, sure, Wussly," Xander snarled as he took the mirror and looked into it. He was angry with this man for upsetting his friends. His jaw dropped when the image coalesced in front of him. He saw a baby, screaming and throwing a tantrum. "What is this? A damn joke?" he demanded.

"No," Giles said as he looked and realized what each had seen. "The word at the top of the mirror is Veritas. Veritas is the Latin word for truth. What you see is the truth of what you are. Your own personalities decide what you see. Do not blame him, for it."

"I don't believe it," Buffy yelled. "I want it destroyed!"

"You tried that already," Giles said. "It didn't work. This mirror belongs to Wesley. Just as the dagger at his side does. I doubt you can destroy anything given to him by the person who gave him that."

"NO!" Buffy screamed. "It isn't true! I'm not ugly."

"Yes," Giles said softly. "You are."

"I'm not!" Buffy yelled stomping her foot. "I'm not like that. His mirror is lying!"

"It can't lie about your own soul, Buffy," he said. "You are like that inside. Just as Willow and Xander are what they saw. Now, excuse me, I have someone to go find."

"Oh? And just What was your reflection?" she demanded.

"Ethan," he said walking out of the library and leaving her stunned.

"ETHAN?!" She shrieked.



Chapter 2: Humanity

"How can Deadboy reflect?" Xander squawked. "He's an evil thing! No vampire should reflect!"

"You do not like being proven wrong, do you?" Wesley asked as he kept working. "I'm sorry to disappoint you child, but Humanity is not always reliant on a soul. Adolph Hitler was a human. He had a soul. And yet he did more damage and was less human than a million demons put together. His Evil was so great it makes Angelus at his worst seem nice. I think you need to sit down and shut up because you obviously know nothing of which you speak about."

Xander growled finally snapping as the New Wesley gave as good as he got and Xander Harris was not used to being told he was being an immature child and to grow up.

"Look, Wussly," Xander growled. 'I've had it with this new attitude of yours. I think you need to go home and put your tweed back on. We don't need you showing us up. You don't belong here. You aren't welcome here."

"And who are you to say that?" Giles asked from behind.

Xander spun around and stared as he saw Ethan Rayne standing next to Giles.

"You are the one who is not welcome here, Xander. You are the one who was a complete bastard about everything because the world doesn't follow your rules. I'm sorry the world isn't staying black and white as a child needs it to be and I'm sorry you are too much a bloody bigot to get over yourself. I'm sorry you can't have your perfect world where good and evil can be told by the presence of absence of a soul. I'm sorry most of all that you won't let yourself see a damn thing around you. Now, if you are going to run your gob, do it somewhere lese. We have work to do here that you are interrupting. Angel? How is Spike tonight? Oh, you've me my reflection before. Ethan, this is Angel. Angel, this is Ethan."

"Hi," the two said to each other.

Giles then handed everyone a book, even Spike when he came out of Giles' office a few minutes later and sat with them helping.

They were working with the books and ignoring Xander's pouting, when the library doors were slammed open and a group of demons came in. Everyone grabbed a weapon and started fighting. They were doing okay but they were losing and Giles knew it. He was expecting to die when there was suddenly a flash of light just as a demon was about to skewer Wesley.

"Oh," a dark voice said. "I so think not."

Giles watched as the demons began dying quickly and then it was just they and their savior.

"Beloved," the dark man said gently as he lifted Wesley's chin. "You did fine. I haven't taught you to use that yet so the fact that you did as well as you did is damn impressive."

"I nearly died though," Wesley began.

"Almost only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons. You live and that is all I care about."

"Excuse me," Giles began. "But....who are you?"

"I am Ares, God of War," the man said. "And this is my Chosen: Wesley."



Chapter 3: The Choice of the Ultimate Warrior

There had been ten minutes of dead silence in the library before anything happened. It seemed after the announcement everything seemed to freeze. As if no one could process what they had heard. Finally it seemed Xander could no longer keep his mouth shut.

"You can't be serious!" The teen finally exclaimed. "I mean you are the Ultimate Warrior! How could you want that cowardly little bastard as
your chosen? He isn't a fighter!"

'I want him because I want him. War does not need a Warrior to be his chosen," Ares replied. And just who the Tartarus are you to say who I
should love or want as my Chosen?"

"My name is Xander," the youth said. "And I'm a real Warrior."

Ares barked a laugh then as he looked at the youth. The laugh was seeming to say "Yah, Right."

"Lets take this one by the numbers, infant," Ares spat.

"1: You are by no stretch of the imagination a Real Warrior. What knowledge you have, you did nothing to earn. You did not sweat for it or bleed to learn it or shed blood in a real battlefield facing humans. 2: Soldier guy as you call him was not a Leader. He was a drone. A foot soldier, he was not a Real Warrior as you say. 3: Just Who in Tartarus do you think you are to presume to tell me whom I should Love and Want? What gives you the knowledge to know the heart of War? You know nothing about true War and it's purposes. You know nothing of the battle you fight except what your prejudiced, bigoted little mind has twisted things to be. You are a child. You still want everything to be black and white. Well, only little babies need everything to be Black and White. I see a word for someone like you in Mr. Giles' mind: Nazi. And it fits I think. You are a Nazi, not a
Warrior. Ripper is a Warrior. He learned to fight for his own survival on the streets. He learned to see what was bad from what only looked bad regardless of species and he does not judge an entire Race based on the actions of only a few. Until you stop doing such things you will never be a true Warrior. You will always be a Nazi little bastard committing a greater evil than any vampire who actually has a purpose in this world. Unlike you who wont even try to be anything else!"

Ares walked over to Wesley and wrapped the younger man into his arms then ignoring everyone in the room but his chosen for the moment. He
would get back to them shortly. After his conversation with his family. There were things here, which needed to be judged. The vampire doing the body time share with a soul, the one who had turned wrong, the Slayer who had abandoned her post, the Council who had destroyed pure, innocent souls to try to make Mage Warriors, the Unstable child who was lost in herself and the gypsies who had hurt a vampire for doing it's job. And the asshole that wanted to ascend to a demon. Dammit, Hades could have that one although it would likely take all of them and why the hell was his key here and human? Who was the idiot? Oh, well. He would deal with it later. After he dealt with the selfish little bitches his daughters had become. Hades would deal with the council. Ares alone would deal with the Slayers.

Starting right now.


Chapter 4: Slayers? Ha!

Buffy walked into the library with Willow after storming off the think how to prove the mirror wrong. She came in and found a big man in black leather sitting at the table near Wesley. Buffy felt herself getting drool as he looked good and hot.

"Hi," she said.

"Hello," the man said. "Not interested."

She stared at him in curiosity.

"In you," he said. "I'm not interested. I have all the lover I can handle right here."

So saying, the man pulled Wesley to him and kissed him. Buffy stared at him in shock finally intervening.

"Who are you and how could you want him?" she demanded.

"Name is Ares," he told her. "God of War. I want him, as I told the Nazi over there, because I want him. Why is no one's business but my own. Now, please, go away before I strip your power without giving you a chance."

"What makes you think you can?" she demanded haughtily. Ares sighed. "Because I created the Slayer lines. Piss me off and I'll erase them and start again."

She stared in slack jawed shock as he returned his attention to Wesley seeming to ignore her.

"If you created Slayers you must be proud of me," she said.

Ares laughed harshly. "No, I'm disgusted by you. I created Slayers to fight All Evil. Human and Demon. Vampires are not by the way. They are a godly Population control. Anyway, you have disgusted me by how you treat those around you. You disgust me in your every act because you do it for Glory. That is no reason to fight. A side effect yes but it should never be a reason. Now, excuse me, I have things to think about."

He sat with Wesley against his side almost as if he were protecting the slighter man and Buffy found herself staring.

She looked around and saw Xander lost in thought, as he seemed to be working something out. Angel and Spike were talking quietly and she saw Giles and Ethan in Giles' office just talking and holding hands. Cordelia came in then dressed in casual clothes. Still good labels but not gaudy or outrageous. She sat at the table and took the books that Wesley had been working on. She began to read them then.

"It is not just his job, Buffy," she told the blond Slayer as she started making notes. "Maybe you should research for yourself sometimes and see if it's as easy as you claim it is. Wesley, what am I looking at?"

"Notes on a previous ascension," Wesley said.

Cordelia nodded and went to work. She wrote notes down and read finding it was not as easy as they, the Scoobies, thought it was. Ares smiled as he sat holding Wesley's hand tightly.

"You will not fight alone," he said. "That is my vow. My family will be there."

"All of your family," a new voice said.

Ares head snapped up and he found himself staring at someone he hadn't seen in years. "Hercules?" he asked as the blond hero walked towards him.

Behind Hercules was Iolaus.

"Hello, Ares," Hercules said. "It's good to see you again."

"You...think it's Good to see me, brother?" Ares asked.

Hercules laughed before he pulled a stunned Ares into a hug.

"I was wrong, Ares," Hercules said. "2000 years has taught me that. I was wrong and I'm sorry. The world needs you again. But I don't think that's why you woke is it?"

"No," Ares said. "Mine woke me up. He needed me. I came. Just s I did once in the far distant past. Hercules, this is Wesley. Wesley this is my half brother, Hercules. Oh, the family will be checking in on you, brother. They all woke when I did. I...well; Wesley needed me so I came. Just as I came for Joxer. Just as I always come when I'm needed."

"You are a better man than I was, Ares," Hercules said. "Tell me about the family and that includes this group you are involving yourself in."

"Have a seat, Herc," Ares said. "This will take some time..."

Chapter 5: The Quality of Joxer

"Okay," Ares said after a few moments of silence "You all know something of the Twilight. You know my family mostly went to sleep. None of us died, Herc. We knew we'd be needed again so we went to sleep and we waited. Waited until now when it has been proven The Way does not work. But, that is not what woke me. No, what woke me was someone needing me. Someone needing to b believed in by someone. Have you ever heard of the Xena Scrolls, Mr. Giles?"

"I have and I scoff at her and that stupid, blond bitch for destroying a balance," Giles said.

"Yes," Ares said. 'Gabrielle. There was a third companion there and his name was Joxer. And he…well, he looked past Gabrielle's words about me. Continued to call on me and talk to me as a person. She was cruel to him and he considered ending it. Joxer was…well he was truly special. He was pure in a way that I have not encountered since…until now. He was pure and innocent and good and decent. Hades said when we have a mortal like that that touches us, that mortal has a quality of Joxer. One has to be special to have that Quality of Joxer. One has to have all of the things I mentioned as well as being under appreciated, belittled and yet still retain decency. Wesley has it. All of it. Wesley is the one person in 2000 years I've met who has this Quality of Joxer that lets us have renewed hope that the world will eventually find a balance without us having to maintain it."

"What about Xander," Willow said tightly. "He's been hurt by everyone around him. And he's funny and goofy and..."

"And not nice," Xander himself said. 'I've been jealous and spiteful and cruel, Wills. I'm not the person Ares is looking for. I don't have the Quality of Joxer. I've lied and cheated and hurt people. I get the feeling Joxer wouldn't do that, would he?"

"No," Ares said. "Jett would, but not Joxer. There was a need for Jett in the world too but child, you aren't him either. You are too speciesist in how you see things and you judge without knowing truly what you are judging. Vampires are a population control. They cull populations when a group gets too big. The Gypsy Clan will have to be dealt with as well. They hated that they were called on over populating. They punished a Child of Lust and Bacchus for doing its job."

"That was wrong, wasn't it?" Xander asked. "They did exactly what I...I'm doing what they did...I...I think..." Xander then turned and ran for the bathroom looking sick and Ares smiled softly.

"And so one learns," Ares said softly. "There is hope after all."

"But vampires are evil!" Willow cried stomping her foot like a child throwing a tantrum. "They are!"

"No, child," Ares said. "Humans can be evil. Vampires are merely a part of the natural order. As is Chaos."

And Ares smiled at Ethan who looked down. Giles nudged him and smiled when Ethan looked back up.

"Anyway, to continue," Ares said when Xander came back in. "The quality of Joxer is a precious, precious thing. To have it means the person has a goodness in them that lets them rise above abuse. Once someone, me in this case, stopped treating Joxer, and indeed, Wesley, like a fool or an idiot, they got better. Joxer became a powerful warrior but unlike Xena, the murderous bitch, he only fought for good. He never let himself be swayed away from his faith. Joxer was loyal and caring, strong and loving and honest and true. Wesley has tried to be what he was expected to be and it has nearly killed him. This is not the life he was meant for. Wesley is an artist, much like Joxer's other brother Jace. I do not need someone as mired in blood as I am to be my chosen, I need someone who is gentle and loving and can see all the colors that I cannot because all I see a good deal of the time is Blood Red. That is why Wesley. Wesley has The Quality of Joxer."

And then, dead silence filled the room as Ares turned his attention back to Wesley. He could see them each thinking about things. Well, everyone but the Slut and the Witch. But he would deal with them in time. That was his way. All things in their time.

END PART 5