Title: All For Love

Author: Kate R.

Disclaimer: They belong to Joss, all of them.

Rating: R I think

Pairings: Giles/Ethan

Summary: What would he do for the one he loves?


All For Love
by Kate R.


Giles was staring as the demon reached for him. He'd arrived and seen Buffy was not marked. Ethan had not done what Giles feared he would. No matter, it was him the demon wanted. He stood waiting when suddenly a voice called out.

"Ehygon, No! You promised me Randall. You swore to me when I made the deal with you. My life for Rupert's, you swore!"

"You left," the demon said as it released Jenny Calendar. "You left me to come here."

"To say goodbye to him," Ethan said as he slowly unbuttoned his shirt. "I wanted to see him one last time. To say goodbye. That was all I ever wanted. I left my Vow, Randall. I would return. I have never broken my word to you. Now, please? Please leave him."

"Remove that," Ehygon said a he gestured at Ethan's shirt.

Ethan was already in the process of doing so and Giles felt his stomach clenching at what was revealed as Ethan slid the shirt from his shoulders. Scars, years' worth of scars decorated his torso, back, shoulders and upper arms. Giles just stared as Ethan made his way to the demon's side.

"Kneel, Ethan," Ehygon said.

Giles watched as his old friend did just that.

"Very good. You know what is going to happen when we return home, do you not?"

"I know," Ethan answered. "I just wanted to see him, one last time. To know he was happy, that he had what he wanted and that he was safe."

"You did not ask my permission Ethan," the demon said. "Why did you defy me?"

"I knew you would say no and it was so very important to me, Randall. I know what the punishment will be. I accept it."

The hand wrapped around his neck and Ethan screamed in pain. Giles felt torn. Part of him wanted to go to his beloved Ethan and part was frozen where he was.

"He did this for you Ripper," the demon taunted as he forced Ethan's face against the floor. "He gave himself to me for your life."

Ethan cried out again as Ehygon tightened his hold on his neck.

"You wanted to say goodbye, Ethan," Ehygon said cruelly. "Very well. You may have five minutes. Do not stand. He has to come to your level."

Ethan nodded and the demon walked out of the shop.

Giles waved the others out and he knelt so he was on Ethan's level.

"You really did this for me?" he asked.

Ethan nodded not speaking.

Giles knew it was because he had not been told he could. "Ethan, look at me. Do you still love me?"

Ethan nodded expecting to be hit or laughed at. He had only wanted to see Ripper again, to be able to say a silent goodbye. He had one wanted one more hour to watch him at his life.

"You may speak," Ehygon's voice came from outside.

Ethan looked at Ripper. "Everything I do, Ripper," Ethan whispered. "I just wanted one last moment in you arms. Just a hug farewell was all I wanted. I know you hate me but I just---to see you, know you are living, that was what I wanted. I just---"

"I know, Eth," Giles said as he hugged his friend tightly to his chest. "You gave me life didn't you? You did this to yourself for me. I am sorry, Ethan. I am so sorry."

"I--- not your fault." Ethan said as he felt the hug. "Thank you."

Ethan made a choking noise as Ehygon grabbed him by the neck. He let Giles pull on his hand and the ring Ripper ahd given him 20 years ago came off. Giles stared at it as Ethan was dragged to a portal that had appeared.

As he was yanked through, Giles caught what he lipped to him: I love you.

"I love you too, Ethan," he said as he folded around the thin piece of gold in his hand. "I. Love. You. Too."

"Rupert," he heard Jenny say and suddenly he couldn't stand that name. He wasn't Rupert. He wasn't what Rupert represented. He was Ripper.

And Ripper would not have let this outrage go unpunished.

"Rupert," she said again and he sensed her reaching for him.

He batted her hand way and the look he turned on her had her backing away. He stood and walked to the desk where there was a CD Player set up. He hit play to see what message Ethan had left for him and the words that came from the music machine felt like a kick in the gut. He knew the artist's name was Bryan Adams and the song---The song was so what Ethan had done for him, what Ethan had been trying to tell him all this time:

Look into my eyes - you will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart - search your soul
And when you find me there you'll search no more
Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for
You know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you
Look into my heart - you will find
There's nothin' there to hide
Take me as I am - take my life
I would give it all - I would sacrifice
Don't tell me it's not worth fightin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
Ya know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you
There's no love - like your love
And no other - could give more love
There's nowhere - unless you're there
All the time - all the way
Oh - you can't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
I would fight for you - I'd lie for you
Walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you
Ya know it's true
Everything I do -

"I will save you, Ethan," Ripper vowed quietly as he sensed the children and the gypsy leaving. "I'll get you back from this hell---somehow."

I do it for you

 

END PART 1

abelard950@aol.com