Title: Accept No Substitutes

Author: Gileswench

Contact: gileswench@yahoo.com

Date: 7/3/02

Spoilers: Through Grave/general spoilers for the first four eps of Manchild

Summary: Buffy heads to England to meet Giles, and does...or does she?

Rating: NC17

Pairing: Buffy/James, heavy Buffy/Giles implications

Category: Smut/crossover

Distribution: If you've had my permission in the past, you have it now. All others, ask and ye shall receive.

Feedback: Constructive criticism always welcome. Praise abjectly sought.

Disclaimer: It all belongs to Joss, Mutant Enemy, etc., etc., etc. I just let them have all the fun Joss won't. I own nothing except my twisted mind which you really don't want. Please don't sue.

Notes: This one comes to you courtesy of Blaire's Gloveslap #119, which reads as follows: Buffy is needing a break from Sunnydale for just a bit. She's been cleaning up the emotional messes of season six's finale, and decides that she's going to visit Giles. This is an irrational decision, and she knows it, considering her financial situation and duties, but she does it anyway. This is where it gets skewed.

When Buffy arrives in merry ole England, and tracks Giles down, she doesn't quite make it to his residence. Because, she thinks, she meets up with him in a coffeehouse along the way. But Giles isn't acting himself, and is with a group of friends who call him James. See where this is going, Wenchie? This is not Giles, or even a relative, just someone who looks just like him, as she discovers however you may want to put it. Now, remember, James is in a bad state right now. He's a former player, but can't bring himself to let it out of his pants. But Buffy is just the type of girl he goes for. And somehow, they develop a friendship, be it involved or just a brief one. It's your job to take it from there. Anything from PG-13 to NC-17 is welcome. Oh, and it would be interesting to throw Giles, or at least Spike (traveling around with a soul by now of course) into the mix. I just NEED to see something from this idea.

Dedication: To Blaire, whose mind is a truly frightening place. (shakes head) A Buffy/Manchild crossover; who'd have thunk it?

 

Accept No Substitutes

By Gileswench

"You do know you're completely insane, don't you?" Xander asked his passenger as he drove to the airport.

"For the fifty-millionth time, yes. I know. I'm nuts. Just keep driving," Buffy said cheerfully. "Got any messages for Giles or Will while I'm there?"

"Just...tell 'em I said hey, and I hope nothing end of the worldy is going on in their neck of the woods."

The two rode in silence a while longer. At last Xander spoke again.

"Buffy, are you really, really sure about this?"

"I think so."

"'Cause it's not too late to turn back."

"Just make sure Dawn doesn't kill anyone who doesn't need it while I'm gone," she quipped. "Besides, I spent too much money not to do this now."

Xander shook his head and pulled into the parking lot.

*****

As soon as she was safely ensconced on the plane, all Buffy's confidence melted away like snow in a heatwave. At last there was no activity, no Xander, no Dawn and no Hellmouth to distract her from the little voice in the back of her mind that said this was quite possibly the worst idea she'd ever had.

"And that's after I slept with two vampires and got so chummy with Maggie Walsh," she thought to herself.

Still, what was done was done. And what wasn't done...would probably be done before she got back to California.

Unless Giles objected.

But he wouldn't.

Would he?

But it would make things so much simpler. Watcher/Slayer, yin/yang, Man/Woman...wouldn't life be simpler and more fulfilling if they just took the next logical step?

And wouldn't an emotionally balanced Slayer be a better, more effective Slayer? Plus Dawn could use a good role model. Not to mention Giles could bring Willow home where she could get the benefit of all the love the gang had to give to help her get back on her feet again.

Yes, it would be better all the way around if she brought Giles home and proved that she really did care.

Maybe not in a hearts and flowers way, but still...

And maybe what she wasn't sure she felt yet was something she could feel given time and the good old college try.

Once in England she would devote her entire heart and mind to convincing Giles this was a good idea. After all, if she could talk him into it, it had to be the right thing to do.

*****

One long plane ride, one confusing, jostled ride on the Underground into London proper, and one train trip to Bath later, Buffy had definitely decided that leaving the Hellmouth unprotected while she wandered off to carpe her Watcher, who she might or might not actually want that way, was about as ridiculous an idea as she had ever had. In fact, she'd pretty much come to the conclusion that Giles was going to fume at her in that long-winded, constipated, really annoying way he had.

Maybe he was even going to yell at her.

Well it was his fault, anyway.

When he left the first time, she'd fallen straight into Spike's bed. Okay, so she had to admit she'd been moving in that direction already and she couldn't blame Giles for not wanting to be around when she hit bottom and did that. Still.

And okay, Spike had disappeared a while ago. And she'd made real progress since the day Willow tried to destroy the world. Still, the dam had broken on her emotions, leaving her confused and wildly unbalanced. After almost a year of inability to feel anything, with the occasional exceptions of anger, self-disgust, and fear, there was suddenly too much emotion to deal with.

Much of it was good: happiness, humor, desire, love. In fact, all of that was good. It was just...sudden. Unexpected. Confusing. Scary.

And just as she discovered a reason to live, her Watcher and her best friend both left. Together. For another continent.

She knew Willow needed help. She knew Willow needed to be as far from the Hellmouth and its temptations as possible.

She just knew she needed Giles at least as much as Willow did.

And she knew he was gone.

Besides, it had been a whole month. Maybe it was safe for Willow to come home now. Or maybe Buffy could stay in England for a while.

In the end, the one thing Buffy knew was that if anything was ever going to make sense again, she needed Giles to help her figure it out. If it got her smoochies too, so much the better.

She trudged up the street, grim-faced and determined to find him.

Suddenly, Buffy stopped in her tracks. She turned around and looked again. At an outside table at a coffee bar there sat four middle-aged men. One was a thin blonde with an aquiline nose and a predatory air. Another was a non-descript, pop-eyed, overweight man in a loud, royal blue suit. The third was a large yet oddly elegant black man with a studied air of indifference that barely camouflaged a boyish delight in everything around him. Buffy barely noticed the three.

She was too busy looking at the fourth man.

Giles.

But a Giles she had never seen before.

A hunky, sexy, relaxed Giles.

No glasses, tousled hair, pale blue oxford cloth shirt worn open at the neck, tight blue jeans, long legs crossed casually, he sipped at an espresso and joked with his companions. He smiled broadly, gestured freely and generally acted like a Giles she'd never seen before.

Maybe her idea of carpe-ing the man hadn't been so far-fetched after all.

She hurried to his side and grabbed him in a huge hug. A moment later, she felt his arms snake around her waist and return the embrace.

"I missed you so much!" she told him.

She pulled back slightly, taking in the combined confusion and humor in his green eyes.

"Hello," he greeted her. "It's nice to see you."

"Nice to see me? Is that all you can say when I've flown halfway around the world just to be with you?"

"Did you really? That was awfully nice of you."

He looked genuinely gratified at the idea, but faintly puzzled at the same time.

"Again with the 'nice'. What, did you forget all those big words when you got back here? I know; you didn't really sit around researching prophecies and stuff all that time," she teased. "You were really reading the thesaurus from cover to cover, weren't you?"

The other three men exchanged knowing glances during this conversation. At last, the thin one spoke.

"James, where have you been hiding this vision of loveliness? You really must join us...?"

He raised an eyebrow to ask her name. Buffy shot Giles a disgusted look.

"You didn't tell your friends about me? And since when do you have friends, anyway?" She turned to the thin one and held out her hand. "I'm Buffy."

The thin one took the proffered hand a bit too familiarly.

"I'm Terry and this is Gary and Patrick. James, you already seem to know."

"James? What, is that like your middle name, Giles?"

James goggled frankly and sat bereft of speech. Terry looked from his friend to the girl. At last he took James' arm and led him a few steps away.

"Will you excuse us a moment?" he called to Buffy over his shoulder. Patrick quickly rose and followed with a sly grin on his face. Gary smiled uncomfortably at Buffy. For some reason she couldn't help thinking of Spike's friend, Clem.

She smiled back, equally uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, the other three men huddled together speaking in urgent whispers.

"She's obviously mistaken me for somebody else," James protested. "I can't let her go on thinking I'm this...Giles fellow, can I?"

"Of course you can," Terry assured him. "The gods have dropped a piece of Heaven in your lap, James. Only a great fool would turn that down. Play your cards right, and she'll be in your bed tonight."

"But she said he knows big words and...and researches things. The only things I know are railways, dentistry and sex."

"But you do know sex," Patrick urged. "If she asks you what you've been researching, tell her the Kama Sutra and offer to demonstrate your new-found knowledge."

"Besides," Terry added, "she can't know him all that well if she's mistaken you for him. My guess is she's not terribly bright."

"Is that a good thing?" James asked faintly.

"For you, yes," Terry assured him. "For this Giles person, probably not."

"But she's going to figure it out eventually," James protested. "What do I do then? What if she turns violent?"

Terry and Patrick scoffed.

"That little thing?" Terry laughed. "I doubt she could hurt a fly if she wanted to."

"It's not as if you can't decide later to tell all," Patrick reminded him. "And in the meantime, consider it performance art. The sort that really appreciates over time. The sort with the best possible fringe benefits."

"But...what about...I mean...I haven't..."

Patrick and Terry gave twin groans of disgusted frustration.

"Still?" Patrick asked pointedly as his eyes flickered over James' crotch.

"Well, once," James admitted. "But what if something goes wrong? What if...I can't, after all?"

"Carpe diem, James," Patrick crooned in his ear. "Seize the day!"

"Veni, vedi, vici," Terry added. "Go on. Do it. Trust me, she'll thank you for it later."

Under the combined conviction of his companions, James crumbled utterly.

"All right," he said, "but I can't see this working for long."

James squared his shoulders, took a deep breath, popped a fresh stick of chewing gum in his mouth, and headed back to the table. Terry and Patrick shared a gleefully triumphant grin as they followed him.

James took Buffy's arm and bent to kiss her cheek.

"Shall we go, then?" he asked her.

Buffy blushed and smiled.

"Sure. I can't believe how different you're being."

"D - different? Really? Um...sorry?"

Buffy took his arm in a proprietary fashion and steered him away from the coffee bar.

"Don't worry, Giles. I'm no way complaining about it."

Gary joined his friends.

"Is he really going to do this? Go off with a bird who thinks he's somebody else? That's mad."

"I shouldn't worry, Gary," Patrick mused. "It's not as if she won't figure it out in the end."

"Yeah, but what if she figures it out while he's in her end?"

"Then it's a good lesson to her to pay more attention," Terry said firmly. "In the meantime, James will spend a fantastic time with a model half his age, discovering the hedonistic pleasures of going to bed with a firm, young woman. God, it's good to be fifty!"

*****

Part 2

Notes and Disclaimers with Part 1

 

Buffy stared at the motorcycle.

"Okay, I thought you got the whole midlife crisis thing out of your system when I went off to college," she teased. "Now I see it could have been...well, I guess this isn't really worse. At least it looks like more fun."

"I've always liked motorbikes," James said, mentally crossing his fingers that Buffy didn't know anything to contradict the statement.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I saw the magazine. Now if I find out you have a dune buggy, too, that's when I'll worry about demon possession."

James wasn't quite sure what Buffy was talking about, so he just smiled and swung one long leg over the motorcycle.

"Come on," he encouraged her, "get on and hold on tight."

"Where are we going?," Buffy asked as she complied and took the helmet he offered her.

"You'll see."

"Your place? Will Willow be there?"

James' jaw worked as he tried to think of an answer. At last he decided to say as little as possible.

"Um...no. Willow's...not there just now."

"Oh," Buffy said, clearly disappointed. James hoped Willow wasn't a beloved pet Buffy had been counting on seeing.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Ready," Buffy confirmed as she slid her arms around his waist.

"Hang on tight," James instructed.

He flipped the visor down and gunned the engine.

*****

Buffy was surprised when she found Giles had driven her back to London...if this was really Giles. She was rapidly coming to the conclusion that something was seriously wrong with the situation.

But if this man wasn't Giles, who was he?

And if he wasn't Giles, how could he be such a perfect replica?

Okay, he didn't dress or talk or act like the Giles she knew, but he was a perfect physical copy. This guy didn't just look like Giles in a close but no cigar way. He had the same green eyes with the funny amber patch in the left one. He had the same little mole on his left cheek. He had the same dimples around his lips and the same pattern of laugh lines and wrinkles and the same slightly receding hairline. She couldn't find one single thing wrong with this doppleganger. He even had the same ear pierced. Buffy wondered if he was left-handed, too.

She followed him cautiously into his flat.

"So...Giles," she began, "Where's Willow? Is he doing okay? Y'know, with his gambling?"

"Yeah, sure, fine," James answered unconvincingly. "You know Willow."

Buffy nodded.

"Yeah, I know Willow. Unfortunately, you don't." She sat on the sofa and crossed her arms over her chest. "Who are you and what have you done with Giles?"

He stuffed his hands in his pockets and gave Buffy a guilty look that made her think of a six-year-old caught with his hand in the cookie jar. His lips screwed up into a wry smile and he sat next to her.

"I told Terry it wouldn't work."

"How long did you think you could pull it off?" she asked icily.

James shrugged.

"I'm not really sure. I knew this was a bad idea."

"So why'd you do it?"

"Well, you seemed to want me to be this Giles chap so much...and I like to make beautiful women happy."

The unquestionable honesty of the excuse and James' puppy dog look were too much for Buffy. She began to laugh. James joined in her merriment, more out of relief than anything else. When she'd finished laughing, Buffy stood.

"Look, I really better go. Can you drive me to the train station? It is sorta the least you can do after taking me this far out of my way."

"Can I...at least let me take you to dinner first. As an apology. I promise I'll be myself the entire time. I can drive you up to Bath in the morning. Please."

"Well," Buffy said, "I am sorta hungry, and it is sorta getting late. And it's not like Giles knows I'm coming so he won't worry if I'm not there by a certain time, so yeah, okay. Dinner. A girl's gotta eat, right? And jetlag apparently makes me babble. Please feed me."

"Come on, then," James smiled. "I know just the place."

*****

A good meal and a bottle of fine wine later, Buffy felt much better. James was funny and sweet and generous with the wine. Buffy's glass never seemed to empty. Between the jet lag and the alcohol, Buffy found herself loosening up in a way she hadn't in years.

"I can't believe I ever mistook you for Giles," she told her companion with a giggle. "I mean, yeah, total twin lookswise, but you're like...the anti-Giles."

"Is that good or bad?" James asked as he lit a cigarette.

"Not sure, yet. It's...it's funny, 'cause I keep expecting you to be one way and you're not. But I like what you're like. It's just...not Giles."

"What's so different?" James asked. "I mean, what's he like? I'm a bit curious."

"Well, there's the smoking thing, for one. He doesn't. And don't take this the wrong way, but he's way smarter than you. He's maybe the smartest person I've ever met, and I've known some pretty brainy people. So it's not like you should feel bad about it...and I'm making it worse, aren't I? I think maybe I shouldn't have had so much to drink."

"You haven't had that much," James said as he refilled her glass.

"Yeah, but I'm a total lightweight when it comes to booze," Buffy said, not that it stopped her taking another sip. "This is good. Let's just hope it doesn't lead to giant snakes or cave-Buffy."

"It would take a great deal more than this to make you see pink elephants, I think."

"That would be a new one for me. I usually end up with a lot worse stuff to deal with. Of course it's not like I need to drink for badness to happen in my life. It just usually adds a few layers of awful."

She drained her glass again. James gestured to the waiter for another bottle.

"Tell me more about this Giles. Is he your boyfriend?"

"No. At least not yet. I came here to fix that. Not that he has any idea I'm doing it."

"Does he know you love him?"

"Yes. No. I'm not even...I mean, I do, I love him, I just don't know how, if that makes any sense which I don't really think it does. I just know when he's gone my life turns to crap. Not that it isn't when he's there, too...I'm saying this all wrong." She took a deep breath and started over. "I do love him. I'm not sure if I'm in love with him, but I know I want him. And as bad as things are when he's there, they're about a million times worse when he isn't. So, here I am. Pretty dumb, huh?"

"I don't know. Sounds as if he's a lucky guy to me."

"Lucky?"

"If I had beautiful women traveling halfway round the globe to seduce me, I'd be pretty thrilled, I think."

"Even a total basket case like me?"

"Especially someone like you."

James fell silent as the waiter arrived with the fresh bottle. When the waiter was gone, he poured Buffy another glass, and one for himself. Then he spoke again.

"Look, you're lovely and good company and a very sexy woman. A man would have to be dead or insane not to want that."

"Don't count the dead out," Buffy said grimly as she took another drink. "You'd be surprised."

James looked quizzically at his companion for a moment, then laughed, deciding Buffy had been joking.

"That's funny," he said. "So tell me more about this twin of mine. What's he like?"

"You really want to know, don't you? Okay, well, he's smart and way sarcastic and he's really, really stuffy. Oh, and he so needs to take a look at how you dress and learn from the experience. And he's always pushing me."

"Pushing you? That doesn't sound very pleasant."

Buffy shrugged.

"It's only because he wants me to be the best Buffy I can be. And he's not mean about it...usually."

"So far I'm not sure why you want him. Is it that he's amazing in bed or something?"

"I - well - that...I wouldn't really know...though I've heard...what I mean is, we haven't. Ever. It hasn't been like that."

"What has it been like?"

"I'm not sure I can really explain. Not so anyone else would understand. He's just...Giles. My Giles. We're supposed to be together."

"Ah, destiny, I understand," James nodded.

"Yeah, that's it exactly. Destiny."

"Well, in the absence of your destiny, would you like to dance?"

James stood and offered his hand. Buffy stood and took it with a slight blush. This might not be Giles, but James looked so much like him it was impossible not to think about what it would be like to have Giles take her dancing. When James pulled her close and molded her body to his, Buffy felt a tingle that started in her belly and radiated outward. She wondered if this was what it would be like to be held by Giles.

She decided to close her eyes and indulge in the fantasy.

So nice.

So warm.

So right.

Maybe the fantasy could last a while longer.

*****

 

Part 3

Notes and Disclaimers with Part 1

 

They walked into his flat hand in hand, still laughing at some silly joke they'd thought of along the way back. James unlocked the door and guided Buffy in with a hand at her waist. She leaned into the touch and giggled some more.

"I had way too much to drink," she told him yet again.

"Nonsense. No such thing. You're fine."

She flung her arms around his neck.

"Oh no, I'm not. I'm forgetting."

"Forgetting what?" he asked as he slid his hands up her sides.

"That you're not Giles."

"Lucky me," he murmured as he lowered his face to hers.

Buffy hesitated only a moment before she accepted the kiss. It had been so long since she'd been kissed, let alone by someone who made her laugh and enjoy herself. She responded accordingly.

Several deep kisses later, Buffy pulled back slightly.

"I really shouldn't be doing this," she said.

"Why not? Aren't you having a good time?"

"It's not that. It's...you know this can't be more than tonight, right?"

"And he's the one you really want to be with, I know."

"How can you take this so calmly? I've just pretty much told you I'm using you to practice for the real thing."

James tugged on Buffy's hand and led them to the sofa. When she sat, he sat beside he, as close as she'd let him.

"I didn't think it was such a big thing," he told her. "Look, all I want is a pleasant night with a beautiful woman. I'm not looking for commitment or forever. I'm no good at that. I think you're lovely and I'd like to make love to you. Wouldn't you like that? To make love?"

"Well...yeah...I would...but..."

James pulled her close and smiled at her.

"So would I."

Then he was kissing her again. A piece of Buffy's brain tried to protest that this was wrong; that casual sex never did her any good. Buffy's libido told Buffy's brain to take a walk.

It did.

It didn't even try to come back when she felt James' hand caress her breast, teasing the nipple into a sharp peak of desire. She sighed into his mouth and kissed him harder. Her fingers moved to his tie and undid the knot. She shoved his jacket off his arms. He moved his hands only long enough to get the excess cloth out of the way, then returned to exploring Buffy's curves. They took a moment to unzip Buffy's dress on the way.

Buffy climbed into James' lap as she deftly unbuttoned his shirt. She ran her fingers through the light mat of tawny curls on his chest. James giggled a bit and pulled her tighter still. Buffy moved her kisses to his earlobe.

"What's so funny?" she demanded as she gently worried his earring in her teeth.

"Nothing," he replied. "Just feels good."

Buffy pulled back slightly. Her expression was a bit puzzled.

"Something wrong?" James asked.

"No, not really. It's just...sex and laughing? Not a combination I'm used to."

"Well sex and talking is new to me, aside from the occasional 'do me, baby' or 'harder'."

"Sorry."

"No, it's all right, I think. I don't mind."

"And I don't. Mind. The giggling. As long as it isn't because I'm no good at this and you don't want to say."

"You're fantastic at it."

"You're sure about that?"

"Absolutely."

"Oh." Buffy frowned and looked at James quizzically. "It's just...I'm on your lap, and clothes are getting seriously gone, and normally, I'd sort of expect to feel...something...reacting by now...and I'm not."

James looked away uncomfortably. Buffy took his chin in her hand. He was surprised at the strength with which she turned his face back to hers.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked. "Am I not doing it right?"

"No," he assured her. "You're fantastic. It's me."

"Oh," Buffy said as she slid off his lap. "Is it...is there something wrong with it?"

"Not according to the doctor. Not now. Look, I did have a problem a while ago, but it's been fixed. I just...it's...I haven't..."

"And you're not really sure...it's back to normal?"

"Something like that, yeah."

He looked miserably at the floor. He waited to hear Buffy laugh at him or just walk out the door, or even suggest one of them sleep on the sofa. His stomach twisted when she stood up.

When he heard her dress hit the floor, he looked up. She stood there wearing nothing but a tiny wisp of silken knickers and a smile.

"If the doc says it's okay, it's okay," she told him. "Maybe you just need to relax and take things a little slower. Where's the bedroom in this place, anyway?"

Numbly, James stood and took Buffy's hand. He led her to the bedroom. She crawled onto the bed and motioned for him to join her.

"Come on. I can't help you from over there," she teased. "Besides, you got me all hot and bothered, so if you don't finish what you started, I'll be cranky girl in the morning."

"Cranky? Are you that bad?

"Trust me, you wouldn't want to see it."

James smiled in confusion, but moved to the bed. When he got there, Buffy slid his shirt off completely. She moved behind him and began to run her hands gently over his shoulders and arms. When she pressed a soft kiss to the nape of his neck, James groaned at the sensation.

"Good?" Buffy asked.

"Very," he replied breathlessly.

"Good."

She went back to work, nibbling at his neck and shoulders. Her hands caressed his sides and slid around to touch his chest. When James tried to turn around, she held him firmly in place.

"Uh uh. Later. Right now we need to relax you."

Buffy continued her explorations of James' body, touching, mouthing, and kissing every part she could reach from where she sat. She firmly ignored the part of her brain that told her she just wanted to know what Giles looked and felt like naked. She reminded that part of her brain that she was helping a nice guy with a problem, really. That and having a good time in bed for the first time since a while before Riley left.

She could worry about the morality of the situation later. First she had something important to do.

She moved her hands to James' belt buckle. He flinched slightly. She held him for a moment and kissed his shoulder.

"It's okay. Up or down doesn't matter right now. I just want to make you feel good," she told him. "We can take this as slow as you need to."

He turned in her arms. He looked so confused and so grateful Buffy didn't know whether to laugh or cry. She kissed him instead.

"You're really not used to this, are you?" she asked him. "Someone worrying more about you than what you can do."

"It's a bit odd," he admitted.

"Then you've been sleeping with the wrong girls."

"I'm beginning to think so."

Buffy smiled and kissed him again. This time, when she reached for his belt, he allowed her to unfasten it. When she moved to help him take his trousers down she found that he'd begun to harden nicely.

"I guess I'm doing something right after all," she teased.

She drew his underwear down his legs and looked at his naked body for the first time.

"Wow," she breathed. "Not bad. I never guessed it would be so big."

James smiled a bit smugly, but didn't inform her of how recent a development that was. He just watched as she lowered her face to his crotch and took his rapidly expanding penis into her mouth. He groaned as she swirled her tongue over the sensitive head and pumped one hand up and down the shaft. He smoothed her hair back so he could watch her pleasure him.

Buffy wasn't sure how much of James she could fit in her mouth, but she knew she was enjoying his body. This might not be true love, but at least this was a warm lover who made her feel attractive and worthy of being wanted. There was a joy in this, even if it wasn't something meant to last forever. In fact, the very impermanence of the act seemed to center Buffy in a way she couldn't have expected. For the night, she would share James' bed. In the morning, James would drive her up to Bath where she would see Giles. At that time she could make her decision as to what part she wanted Giles to play in her life.

But for just this moment, she didn't have to worry about expectations or duty or right or wrong or what anybody would think if they knew; she could just take pleasure in her body and that of another living being who only wanted a bit of fun. No guilt, no regrets, no hurt feelings.

It was oddly peaceful.

And a bit thrilling in a naughty - but not too naughty - way.

At last, James urged Buffy away from his fully erect member before he could lose control completely. He handed Buffy a condom and watched her roll it on him. While she performed this task, he caressed her body. He rolled her tight nipples between his fingers and lightly petted the tangle of curls between her legs. He found her wet and ready for him. He helped her remove her knickers.

"Top or bottom?" he asked.

"Huh?"

"Do you want to be on top or bottom?"

"Oh, that," Buffy said. "Um...top, I guess. Is that okay?"

James' only answer was to lie fully back and help Buffy settle herself astride him. He helped her position his cock to enter her tight channel. He groaned happily when she sank down on him, slowly taking him completely in.

Once Buffy had fitted him inside, she held still for a moment to adjust to his size. Then, with a serene smile, she began to ride him, slowly at first, but at a rapidly increasing speed. Her face was a mask of blissful concentration as she rode him faster and faster.

James raised his hips to meet her every downward stroke. He took hold of Buffy's hips, moving his pelvis more and more rapidly. She took him so easily, with such strength. James had never been with a woman like this before. He found himself craving her strength, her confidence, without being threatened by it.

Faster and faster they moved, sweat forming on their bodies and pooling between them. Buffy lay atop James and he rolled them over until he was pounding into her. She wrapped her legs around his hips and urged him on, faster still. Then she was coming. She yelled her pleasure even as she tried to draw him still further into herself. A few more thrusts, and James allowed his orgasm to overtake him. Spasm after spasm passed through him, each wave accompanied another spurt of semen from his penis. Each moan was echoed by his companion.

At last, it ended, as all good things must. James opened his eyes to find Buffy smiling up at him. He smiled back.

They kissed softly a few times before James had to deal with the condom.

Neither spoke when he returned to the bed. With another kiss, they rolled into one anothers' arms and fell asleep.

*****

Buffy was the first to awaken in the morning. When James drifted up into consciousness some minutes later, he found Buffy sitting cross-legged, regarding him curiously.

"Good morning," he murmured huskily.

"Hey," she returned.

James sat up and moved to kiss Buffy. She stopped him with a hand to his chest.

"No. Not this morning," she said, not unkindly, but firmly.

"Why not?"

Buffy shrugged.

"It's just...it was okay last night, but it isn't now. Or maybe it's that once was great but twice is a bad idea. At least for me. Sorry. Either way, I can't now."

"Is it because of this Giles chap?"

"Last night or now?"

"I'm not sure, really. Either."

"Oh. Yes and no. To both, I guess."

"Well at least that's clear," James grumbled. "Look, I don't know about you, but I think something special happened last night. Can't we see if it's special twice?"

"James, I told you last night," Buffy explained, "one time deal. You knew what it was. I didn't lie to you or mislead you. And it was incredible. But we both knew it wasn't forever." She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "How do you like your eggs? And do you want coffee or tea?"

"Buffy...are you sure?"

"Yeah. Very sure. Look, James, you're a nice guy and I like you a lot. And that's sorta why this won't work out if we push it. See, in my world, nice guys get smooshed or hurt really bad. I don't want to see that happen to you."

"And Giles? Will he get smooshed?"

"Nah," Buffy smiled. "He can take care of himself. No hard feelings?"

"Well some...but you already said you won't help me with them this time," he grinned.

"Don't think it isn't tempting." Buffy stood and headed for the kitchen. "Breakfast in fifteen minutes...or so. I need to find where everything is first.

James watched her go with an unfamiliar feeling of regret in his gut. At last, he went to take a shower.

*****

The drive to Bath, this time in James' car, was pleasant and surprisingly unstrained. They chatted of this and that as they sped down the motorway.

"So have you decided?" James asked when they'd nearly reached their destination. "What are you going to do about Giles?"

"I'm going to ask him to come back."

"As your lover?"

"Jealous much?" she teased. "No. Not yet. I think we have some middle ground to cover first. Like I need to know what the hell I'm feeling other than confused and needy. Some quality Gilestime will help me get that figured out, and we can go from there. Ask me again in six months and I'll have an answer. I think."

James pulled to a stop.

"Here we are," he said with a slight smile. "Thanks for last night. I - well..."

"Feeling a bit more confidant now?" she grinned back. "Me, too. Thanks." Buffy gave him a soft kiss on the cheek before she slid out of the car. As she started up the path, she turned back to James. "Oh, and your friends? The ones who told you to pretend to be Giles?"

"Yes?"

"Thank them for me. And tell them if I ever hear about them pulling that kind of shit on someone again, I'm going to make them hurt. A lot."

"I'll tell them."

The pair shared a final smile. Then Buffy turned to Giles' door and James headed on his way. He decided to go see Elizabeth. She might laugh at his woes, she might even threaten him, but there really was nobody like her when all was said and done.

Buffy watched him drive away, then took a deep breath and knocked on Giles' door. When he opened it, they simply looked at one another for a moment. Then they were embracing, neither one certain who had made the first move. It didn't matter.

It was where they both wanted to be.

 

THE END