[Aaddzz Advertisement]

Common FANFIC And Sexual Fantasy Terms

  • AU: Alternate Universe...A story where fan fiction characters are plucked from their usual setting and plopped down in an unfamiliar one.
  • ANGST: Hurt the characters and make them emote that emotional or physical pain.
  • BBS: Bulletin Board System
  • BDSM: Bondage/Discipline/Sadism/Masochism, in other words, consensual Dominance/Submission or Master/Slave love games. Not to be confused with non-consensual slavery or rapist stories (see NC, below) although it often is.

    NOTE: "Even BDSM people argue about what it means to be a top/bottom/slave/sub/etc. There is some general agreement that being the dominant means you are in charge, that topping means playing the active role, and even doms/tops can enjoy being penetrated. Top among Gay men means you are the penetrator*, but among BDSM people it means you are the "active party"/dominant-in-charge. Women can and do top. You can be a top without being a dominant too. Many switches sometimes top, sometimes bottom.

    In BDSM, you can top without any penetration being involved. You can be a top who whips, or who ties people up and tickles them, for example.

    Master/slave or mistress/slave relationships are dominant/submissive relationships. You can top, playing the dominant role, without being "a dominant". A switch who sometimes plays the dominant role is a switch, not a sometimes dominant.

    Most BDSM couples decide together what will happen, so it's not strictly speaking 100% true that the dominant is in charge and decides everything. Still, within the parameters of the scene the Dominant is formally the one in charge and on top. In dominant/submissive relationships that don't end when the scene does, the dominant partner is the boss, but that doesn't mean they don't listen to and respect their sub partner's wishes." Laura Goodwin

  • BONDAGE: Tie 'em up and play with 'em.
  • BTW: by the way
  • CANON: What we see on the series. The term originated in Classic Trek fandom to distinguish between what was on screen vs. all the tie-ins, like the Technical Manual and novels, as well as fanfic.
  • Death: Pretty self-explanatory, but what the hey; death of a character in the story; generally it will be noted whether the charter killed is a main character (series regular) or not.
  • FIAWOL, FIJAGDH: Fandom Is A Way Of Life, Fandom Is Just A God Damn Hobby;
  • FANON: Relatively new term to denote things that are so pervasive in fanfic, they've become canon in the fanfic.
  • FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.A list of questions and answers usually kept in the archives of a mailing list. Pages for these currently are going up on the WWOMB archive.
  • FTP: File Transfer Protocol. Defines the way that files are exchanged around the Internet. Also refers to the name of the application that uses the FTP protocol.
  • FYI: For Your Information
  • FWIW: For What Its Worth
  • FLAME ON: I'm going to begin ranting.
  • FLAME OFF: It's safe to read now
  • FLAME WARS: What happens when people continue to trade insults. This is grounds for expulsion from WWOMB lists.
  • GAFIAted, FAFIAted: Gotten Away From It All, Forced Away From It All--pronounced gaf-e-ate-d and FAFIAted rhymes;
  • H/C: Hurt/Comfort; someone gets hurt and someone else comforts, this can be with either a buddy, romantic or pre-romantic relationship between the comforter and comfortee.
  • HET: Heterosexual.
  • IMO: In My Opinion
  • IMHO: In My Humble Opinion
  • LOL: Laugh Out Loud.
  • LEMON: In yaoi...lemon means sexually explict and is not an insult. It's how we warn each other that things are about to get.....ummm....hot?
  • LURKING: No active participation on the part of a subscriber to a mailing list.. A lurker is a person who is jst 'listening' to the discussions of that list
  • M/B: man/boy, a coding used for gay fiction in alt.sex.stories.gay.moderated (ASSGM) archive. It means that one of the partners in the pairing is underage.
  • m/m, f/f, m/f: Generally an adult story and tells the sex of the adults involved with each other. Of course not all pair listings have the sexes involved; some authors assume a knowledge of the series and list the characters' initials
  • MPREG: Male pregnancy. Due to an alien's genetic tampering, or a mad doctor's, or to hermaphrodite characters, or to no explanation given, a male character becomes preggers. There is usually a slash relationship existing or precipitated by this event.
  • MST: stands for Mystery Science Theater 3000. Basically the authors would 'borrow' someone's story and go through it making funny comments about the plot, wording,ect just like the show did for bad scifi/horror movies. When the person has permision to MST the fic, it can be fun entertainment but a lot of times the person MSTing doesn't have permission and the comments can be hurtful to the original author.
  • NC or Non-Con: Non Consensual sex. Generally it's a slavery or rape story.
  • NETIQUETTE: a pun on "ettiquette" referring to proper behavior on a network
  • NETNEWS: A bulletin board system
  • NO ROM: No romance. The fanfic group the prefers to slash the characters or go against the established love interest or the series.
  • OFC: Original Female Character. This is the fanfic equivalent of the TV Tradition of the Bimbo of the Week.
  • OS: Operating System
  • OTOH: On The Other Hand
  • PWP: Plot? What Plot? An NC-17 story for the simple sake of SEX SEX SEX.
  • POST: To send a message to the list.
  • ROTFLMAO: Roll On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.
  • RTFM: Read The F****ing Manual
  • SHIPPER: Short for relationshipper. The fanfic group that prefers to pair the established series love interest. I.E: Mulder and Scully.
  • SLASH: A same sex romantic relationship.
  • SMARM: The sort of story you'd have if you could make melting chocolate into fiction: warm, gooey, and so sweet diabetics are warned to read at their own risk. Often sneaks into H/C stories.
  • SMILEYS: a popular way to show the emotions behind your words.
    Happy Smileys: : ) 8 ) : - )
    Surprised Smileys: : 0 8 0
    Winking Smileys: ; - )
    Unhappy Smileys: : ( 8 ( : ! : ^ (
  • SPAM: When someone sends an advert to many groups at once. I do not consider cross posting stories as spamming
  • SMUTFIC: Similar to PWP. Possibly with a hint that the author might have thought of and rejected a plot.
  • SONGFIC: There are three kinds.
    1. The story was written so that it was obviously inspired by a particular song.
    2. The lyrics are interwoven in the story.
    3. The lyrics are actual dialogue for the story.
  • SQUICK: in the old sense of meaning "Makes you flash hot and cold, hurl objects across the room and want to throw up" as opposed to the more recent meaning of "ewww!")
  • THREAD: Describes the various topics that may be simultaneously dsicussed on a list.
  • TORQUEMADIAN: Reference to Medieval style EPE, based on Torquemada, the infamous Spanish Inquisitor
  • TPE - Total Power Exchange
  • TPTB: The Powers That Be; generally the owners, creators, writers, etc. of the series and/or the network execs.
  • TIAC: TYPING IN ALL CAPS is the same as screaming, online; using all caps for a word means emphasis similar to underlining and was adapted because many e-mail programs can't read special characters for formatting that word processing programs use. Sometimes an author will designate some other characters as meaning underline or italics.
  • VANILLA: Straight sex without the embellishments. Gays can have vanilla sex too, not just Hets.
  • VICSS: Voluntary, Informed Consentual, Safe and Sane
  • Yaoi : The anime fan's slash. Japanese same sex.
  • ZINE: On-line magazine.

    This page of slash/fic terms came into being because a newbie to the realm asked what several terms meant. Just today, I discovered a new one that I've not seen before. In keeping with the WWOMBs commitment to bring light and knowledge (corny or what?) to the realm, we decided to add this list. This page will continue to grow and will be updated as new terms are brought to my attention and added.

    If you have one to add, or one to request defined, Email the ARCHIVIST.