Brightly Dawns The Day

By The Wicked Goddess

Email: shortstuff781@yahoo.com

The boys don’t belong to me. Bummer. They belong to Alliance/Atlantis and Tribune. I’m just borrowing them for a while. No money is being made from this. Go ahead and archive this one.

Thanks to Sean for the great edit work. You’re the best, boyo!

//words// denotes mind speech


Brightly Dawns The Day
By The Wicked Goddess
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“It’s strange how things happen to turn your world upside down and inside out.” Tao’s voice was holding the attention of the people gathered in front of him. “I have a story to tell you. One of pain, of trust, and of how love can conquer all obstacles.” The words hung in the silence. The audience barely breathed, waiting for the older Eiron’s next words. Even the smallest of the children Dar and Tao had “adopted”, and brought to their peaceful village, didn’t move.

The little ones saw the Beastmaster silently step behind the Eiron and place a hand on Tao’s shoulder. Tao leaned into the small embrace.

And just when they thought that the man would speak no more, Tao opened his eyes and began to tell his tale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Flash backs



Enjoying the mid-afternoon quiet of the forest, two men walked side by side. One was tall and blonde, a warrior, to be sure. Just by looking at the man, you knew that he was capable of defending himself. His traveling companion, however, was a warrior not. Shorter in stature than his walking partner, his brown eyes sparkling with intelligence, you knew that this man was a scholar. Interesting traveling companions, to say the least. If the observer had looked closer, the presence of additional wayfarers would have been spotted.

Two ferrets occupied the pouch that rode upon the warrior’s left hip. An eagle graced the sky. A tiger, investigating an interesting smell, was not far away. With these clues, one would know that the Beastmaster and his Eiron friend, Tao, walked these forests.

The men were softly conversing.

“Dar, did you know that the body compensates if it is unable to use a part of itself?”

“Really?” Dar replied with a small sigh, knowing full well that he was going to hear all about this subject, whether he wanted to or not. That was one of the many things he loved about Tao, even though it bugged him to no end, this constant sharing of knowledge.

As Tao opened his mouth to explain, Dar’s head snapped up towards the eagle. In doing so, he never saw the blow that felled him.

Two Terron warriors were wandering the forests and just happened to turn around to see the Beastmaster approaching. By turning quickly, one warrior was able to lay the Beastmaster out with a single well-placed blow. Hitting Dar in the forehead with a skull club, Enzo accomplished what no other Terron had ever done. He had killed the Beastmaster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dar lay at Enzo’s feet, blood flowing down the Beastmaster’s face. He was not breathing. As the Terron reached down to cut Dar’s throat, to take his head as proof to his king, the Mighty Zad, a growling from behind made him look over his shoulder. All Enzo could see was a mouthful of teeth and the tiger that owned them. Dropping the Beastmaster’s head, Enzo and his companion fled. In trying to take Dar’s life, Enzo gave it back to him. The jarring of his head hitting the forest floor made Dar take a life-giving breath.

Tao, paralyzed with fear, was still standing where he was before the attack. Ruh swatted Tao’s leg, breaking the smaller man’s trance.

“Dar! Dar!” Tao ran and knelt down beside the fallen man. Dar’s limbs were all akimbo. Blood coated his face and soaked into the ground beneath him. Tao touched him and to his relief, he found that Dar breathed. He did not regain consciousness. Not wanting to see if the Terrons returned, Tao hefted Dar’s inert form up and over his shoulder. Struggling under the weight of his unconscious lover, Tao trudged toward a safe place he knew lay a short distance away.

As he carried his beloved burden, Tao talked. “Dar, if you can hear me, hold on. We’ll soon be in that cave we used last night. I can’t believe it. I’ve never seen a Terron that fast. One minute we were alone, the next, you were on the ground. I, I don’t know what would have happened if Ruh wasn’t there.” Tao kept up his litany as he walked. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t do anything. I don’t think they even knew I was there. I mean, I‘m here with you now, aren’t I? Don’t they normally try to take me to get to you? Gods, I wish you’d answer me.” To Tao’s relief, the cave was close at hand.

Walking into the cool darkness of the cave, Tao gently lay his beloved down. Checking to see that Dar still lived, Tao then quickly set about making ready the things he would need.

“Gourds, herbs, bandages, water...water...where are my water jugs?” Tao spoke to himself. Reaching out a hand, he found the jugs and mixed a few herbs with some water.

He gently lifted Dar’s head and placed the gourd at his lips. “Please Dar, take a sip. Please,” Tao coaxed. He tipped the gourd and was relieved to see that a bit of the liquid made it down Dar’s throat. Laying the man back down, Tao reached for the readied bowl of water to clean Dar’s face.

Tao was not prepared for what he found. There was an ugly lump the size of his fist on the Beastmaster’s forehead. Tao gently cleansed the wound and applied some salve. He rinsed out the cloths he used and tenderly placed one on the bump, in hopes of bringing the swelling down. When that cloth grew warm, Tao applied another cool one. He repeated this cycle for a long time. Reaching behind with his hands to arch his tired back, Tao noticed the fading daylight. ‘I’d better get a fire going.’ Knowing that they had left the cave with a decent amount of firewood for the next traveler, Tao scrambled to light a fire. It wasn’t that he was afraid of the dark, it was what was in the dark that had him worried.

A noise at the mouth of the cave froze Tao in his tracks. Holding a large piece of wood as a weapon, Tao stepped away from the fire and stood over Dar. To his relief, the noise turned out to be Ruh.

With a shaking voice, Tao laughed at the tiger, “Ruh; it’s good to see you.”

As Ruh made his way to the Beastmaster’s side and lay down. As the tiger made himself comfortable, the ferrets scrambled out of their pouch.

“You just had to bring those two back, now didn’t you, Ruh?” Tao muttered as he put the wood on the blazing fire and carefully approached Dar’s other side. “I‘m worried about him too, Ruh,” the Eiron explained. “Between the two of us, we’ll watch over him through the night.” Tao lay down next to his lover and gently gathered him close. Dar didn’t make a sound and Tao wasn’t pleased with that. He hoped that by morning’s light, Dar would wake up. ‘Please,’ Tao wished, ‘Please.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pain. Deep, intense pain was the first thing Dar felt as he edged his way out of unconsciousness. He moaned and felt a familiar touch on his shoulder. Soft words reached his ears.

“Easy, Dar. I’m right here.” Tao’s voice was so calm. Dar didn’t know that Tao was a breath away from tears. “You’ve been out for a while. Rest and I’ll get you something for the pain.”

Dar lay still, waiting for the spinning feeling to settle down. Gods, how his head hurt.

“Here, let me help you up and you will drink all of this.” Dar tried to smile at the force behind Tao’s words, but he didn‘t have the energy for that simple gesture. A killer headache and one of Tao’s potions, he only hoped his stomach could handle it.

“There’s something in there for your stomach too, Dar.” It was as if Tao could read his mind, Dar thought. He sighed and let Tao help him drink the nasty brew.

“Euugh, Tao, that’s horrible,” Dar grimaced.

Tao pressed another gourd to the Beastmaster’s lips. “It’s water, just water.” Tao explained when Dar hesitated.

The cool liquid cleansed Dar’s mouth and felt good going down. He hissed as Tao laid him back down, then sighed as he felt a cool cloth on his forehead.

“What happened, Tao?” He asked.

“What do you remember?”

“We were walking and Sharak called me and..,” Dar hesitated. “That’s all I remember.”

“Well, we ran into a couple of Terrons. Dar, I didn’t even see them. One of them hit you in the head with his skull club and you went down. Ruh scared them away and I brought you here.”

“How long?” Dar asked.

“We’ve been here two days,” Tao replied.

“I’ve been out for two days?” Dar exclaimed.

“Yes. I don’t mind telling you, Dar, but these have been two of the longest days of my life.” Tao’s worry was evident in his voice. He leaned over and changed the cloth on Dar’s forehead.

Dar reached out a hand towards his lover. Tao caught it and Dar pulled Tao down on top of him. “They didn’t hurt you, did they?” Dar’s voice was hard and low.

“No, I don’t think they even knew I was there. Ruh scared them off so fast. They didn’t have a chance to notice me.”

“I’m glad.” The only reason Tao heard that last reply was because his ear was close to the Beastmaster’s lips. Tao raised his head and saw that Dar was asleep. Tao lay his head back down against the broad chest and the men slept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tao woke with a start. Strong hands caressed his buttocks. He smiled into the chest that was beneath him. Giving those pectoral muscles a quick kiss, he raised his head. “Dar, ooh!” Tao had moved just enough to feel Dar’s hard cock brushing against his.

A kiss captured his mouth as Dar’s tongue plundered deep. Tao felt his teeth, the roof of his mouth being explored and he joined in the dance.

“Hmmm, you feel so good, Tao,” Dar’s voice rumbled. His hands were making short work of Tao’s clothes.

Tao reached between them and undid the lacings on Dar’s loincloth. Laying the sides open, Tao reached down and caressed the bulge the loin cloth had hidden, laughing a bit as it surged into his caress. He slid his hand into the briefs and captured the hard length that begged to be set free. Giving the man a quick caress, Tao hooked his fingers and pulled off the briefs. Dar’s hiss of breath told Tao that his caress made the man tremble in pleasure. Moving his body down a bit, Tao captured a nipple and started to suck, then gently nip the hardening pebble of flesh. Dar arched his back, silently begging Tao to envelop his nipple deeper. Tao flicked his tongue over and over the hard point and with his fingers he fondled Dar’s other nipple until it too stiffened. Moving to that neglected pebble, Tao bit it and then caressed the pain with his tongue. Blowing a hot breath over it made Dar growl. Tao laughed.

Dar tried to roll Tao over, but the smaller man resisted. “My turn, Dar,” Tao whispered. Slowly, kissing as he worked his way down, he paid attention to Dar’s navel. His tongue darted in and out in an imitation of the final act. Dar shifted under the onslaught. Tao used his hands to hold the man still.

“Not fair, Tao,” Dar moaned as the Eiron’s nimble fingers started to tug and pull at the thatch of hair surrounding the base of Dar’s engorged shaft.

“Argh.” That strangled word escaped him as Tao’s hot mouth slowly encompassed the head of Dar’s penis. Holding Tao’s head with his hands, Dar thrust his hips upward, driving himself deeper into the moist, yet fiery depths, causing both of them to groan. Tao wet his fingers and slid them up and down Dar’s slick shaft as he licked the drops that escaped the slit.

“Ummm,” moaned Tao as he felt Dar’s release building. Taking Dar deep into his throat, Tao purred once more and then tasted Dar’s essence as the Beastmaster shouted out his throes of pleasure. Dar’s hands fell to his sides, his body convulsing in ecstasy. Tao savored every drop of the thick liquid. Kissing his way back up the sweat-coated torso, he reached and captured Dar’s mouth.

Dar was breathing heavily and as he tried to roll Tao under him, he groaned and fell back.

“Dar, you all right?” Tao queried.

“My head.”

“Hmm, a bit too much activity for you, a bit too soon.” Tao chuckled. “Let me get you something for that.”

Dar sighed and Tao laid his head on his lover’s torso for a moment. “Wait. Come sit on my chest, Tao,” Dar requested.

Tao cocked an eye at the man lying beneath him. “Why?” He drawled.

“I want to pleasure you,” Dar whispered. “Please.”

That whispered “please” was Tao’s undoing. Gently straddling Dar’s chest, Tao leaned back on those hard thighs and waited for Dar.

Nothing happened for a few moments and Tao glanced at his lover. There was a sassy smile on Dar’s face and the Sula slowly brought his hands up. Fumbling a bit, as his eyes were still swollen shut, Dar found Tao’s thighs and stroked his hands up and down their length, feeling the springy hairs under his fingertips. Each stroke reached a bit higher until his thumbs caressed the sac under Tao’s throbbing shaft.

An indrawn breath told Dar that Tao enjoyed the caress. Gently pulling the sac, Dar rolled the twin orbs in his hand. Reaching behind Tao, Dar pulled him closer. Tao’s shaft bopped Dar on the nose. Both men laughed. Tao leaned over to pull a few of the blankets up to support Dar’s head. As he pulled back, he found his erection quickly captured in Dar’s hot mouth. Tao groaned and leaned forward to allow his lover full access.


Dar sucked and pulled on Tao’s cock while using his hands to caress the length. Feeling the quivers that started in Tao’s thighs; Dar used one hand to find Tao’s opening. Thrusting in one finger, the Beastmaster stroked Tao’s inner passage. After some stroking, he inserted another finger. Tao bucked and groaned. A few more strokes and Tao bellowed, “Dar!” as he erupted with extreme pleasure. His shaft throbbed and spilled its seed. Dar lapped up every drop. As Tao stopped trembling, Dar helped the exhausted Eiron settle back onto his chest.

“You make a comfortable pillow, Dar,” Tao mumbled as he drifted off to sleep.

Dar chuckled and joined his lover in slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The early dawn cast its light at the mouth of the cave when Tao opened his eyes. He was still held against the Beastmaster’s broad chest by a sinewy arm. It was chilly in the cavern, so Tao tried to ease his way off Dar without waking him. He was worried that their lovemaking was a bit too much so soon after Dar’s injury. Tao was sure that he had made his way free, when a tug brought him right back to where he had started.

“Going somewhere?” A sleep-roughened voice asked.

“I was going to build up the fire. It’s chilly in here.”

“Hmmm, I’m nice and warm,” Dar replied, hugging Tao closer.

“Well, my front’s warm and my backside isn’t,” Tao pointed out, “so let me build that fire up and we’ll see how your head is.” Tao scooted off his lover, stood up, and gathered firewood. Blowing on the embers, he carefully laid more fuel on them. Soon he had a crackling fire going and he turned to Dar.

“What is it?” Tao was worried at the look on Dar’s face. “What’s wrong?” His forehead creased in concern.

“Tao, I can feel the heat of the fire,” Dar replied, “but I can’t see it. Tao, I can’t see it!”

Tao was stunned. Dar, blind? No, it couldn’t be. Not Dar. No, not Dar.

Tao hunkered down by his lover. Holding one hand in front of Dar’s face, Tao asked him, “Dar, how many fingers?”

Dar shook his head, his breathing growing faster as he answered, “I don’t know, Tao. I can’t see them!”

Tao laid a hand on Dar’s shoulder. “Take a deep breath. Calm down.”

“Calm down?” Dar snarled. “I can’t see, Tao, and you want me to calm down?”

“Dar, getting excited isn’t going to help us right now.” Tao’s voice reached through the panic. “Let me look at you.” Tao turned Dar’s head so the firelight shone on his face. The swelling on his forehead was still ugly and bruised. Since Dar could open his eyes, that proved that swelling around the Beastmaster’s eyes was gone. Tao looked into Dar’s eyes and was saddened to see that they were dull and lifeless. He couldn’t stop the sigh that escaped his lips.

“That bad?” Dar asked.

“I don’t know, Dar,” Tao answered truthfully. “I’ve never seen anything like this before. I just don’t know.”

Dar lay back against the blankets. He put his arm over his eyes and heaved a big sigh. Tao waited for the man to say something, but he didn’t.

Tao reached for a gourd and mixed a few herbs in with the tea the men usually had in the morning. “Dar, drink this,” Tao said as he pressed the gourd into his hand.

Dar propped himself on one elbow and drank the tea. When he was finished, he held the gourd out to Tao and lay back down.

The Beastmaster turned his face towards Tao’s voice as he was told to rest. Dar relaxed and fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dar was blind. Nothing could have shocked Tao more. What were they going to do? Tao glanced at the sleeping man. He felt guilty that he had slipped those sleeping herbs into Dar’s tea. He just needed some time to think. He needed a plan--something to tell Dar when he woke up. Gods, what a mess. There was no one near for Tao to ask for help. Tao gathered his clothes and as he dressed, he thought. That was what he was good at, thinking. Now if only he could come up with an answer to Dar’s blindness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dar slowly woke up. His mouth felt fuzzy. ‘That stinker put sleeping herbs in that tea,’ Dar thought. He wasn’t sure if he should be angry or not. He needed the rest, but wasn’t so certain that he appreciated the help.

Dar turned his head to look for Tao and all that met his eyes was darkness. He held his hand up to his face and he couldn’t see it. This harsh fact devastated him. How was he to care for the animals if he couldn’t see them? What was he to do? As he was sinking into a pit of despair, he heard footsteps. Turning his face towards the sound, Dar tried to make out who was coming his way.

“Ah, you’re awake;” Tao’s voice filled the cave. “Good.” Dar heard rustling and wondered just what the Eiron was up to.

“Tao, what are you doing?”

“You’ll see. I’m sorry Dar, “Tao hung his head, “I didn’t mean it like that. Dar, you know I‘ll always love you.”

“I know. I’ll always love you, too. ’I see’, it is just something we say, not mean, Tao. I understand.” If Tao was going to be so sensitive, Dar wasn’t sure how he was going to handle this.

“All right then,” Tao sounded chipper and that worried Dar. “Time to get you up.” Dar felt Tao take his hand and give him a pull. The Beastmaster gained his feet and swayed a bit. Tao was right there to hold him steady.

“Easy Dar. You’ve been down for a few days. Give your body a chance to get used to being up.” Tao held him and then asked, “Better?”

Dar felt stable enough to stand on his own. He shook his head and Tao stepped away. Dar was surprised at how he missed Tao’s warmth next to him. He sensed movement in the cave. Swinging his head, Dar couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.

“Dar,” came Tao’s voice. It sounded like it was in front of him. Reaching a hand out, Dar encountered Tao’s shirt. Tao handed him his staff. Clutching it, Dar felt its comforting weight.

“Dar, we’re going to have to teach you to work without your eyes.” As Tao talked, he changed position. “Now, I know it’s going to be difficult, but I know you can do this.” Dar followed Tao’s voice with his body. “See Dar, you’re learning fast. Now, don’t move and follow my voice. Point out where I am.” Tao stopped talking and Dar strained to hear his movements. He was surprised at how quietly the little Eiron could move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dar waited for Tao’s voice. The man was so quiet. There wasn’t a sound in the cave that Dar could hear. He strained his ears and he caught the sound of breathing. Was it his or Tao’s?

Dar tried to calm his breathing so he could listen better. Suddenly, a picture entered his mind. //Sharak?// Dar asked, knowing that it was the eagle who had just shown him that Tao was to his left.

//My friend, this is all my fault.// The eagle’s “voice” was laden with regret. //I am so sorry.//

//Sharak, this wasn’t your fault. Things happen.//

//If I’d only seen them sooner.......//

//Please Sharak, I forgive you.//

Dar reached out with his staff to his left and encountered Tao.

“Hmmm, I saw that.” Tao shook a finger at the eagle roosting outside the cave. “Sharak, no more help. He has to do this on his own.”

The mighty eagle ruffled his feathers. //He caught us. He’s getting good.//

Dar felt the “chuckle” that followed.

“He’s right, Sharak,” Dar spoke to both friends. “I have to learn this on my own.”

Tao continued the lesson until he saw Dar waver.

“That’s enough for now, Dar,” Tao suggested. “You must be starving.”

The ferrets squealed in hopes of a hand out.


“I was talking to Dar, not to you two rats.” Tao admonished.

Tao laid out several fruits and berries. “Come and sit Dar.”

Dar tried to follow Tao’s voice. He took a few steps and stumbled over his feet. He landed awkwardly and Tao had to restrain himself from jumping up and helping his lover. Dar slowly made it back onto his feet. He dusted himself off and winced upon finding a new bruise.

“Tao?”

“A few steps to your right,” was all the direction the Eiron gave him.

“A hand, perhaps?” Dar asked.

Tao sighed. He knew that he had to be strong and not help Dar all the time. “A few steps to your right, Dar. Feel the fire?”

“Thanks for the help;” Dar spat out as he slowly made those few steps. He felt the fire nearby and sat down carefully.

Tao felt torn. He so wanted to help Dar, but knew that if he started too, Dar would never be able to be on his own. This was the worst Tao had ever felt.

Dar was not pleased by Tao’s abandonment. Tao took his hand and filled it with a piece of fruit. Dar sniffed at it and discovered that his lover had found him a pear, his favorite.

Taking a bite, Dar asked, “What’s next?” as he wiped the juices running down his chin.

“For you, a rest,” Tao stated. Dar started to object, but Tao stopped him. “That rest is not subject to debate. You will rest.” The tone of Tao’s voice was firm and Dar knew that he’d never win in an argument with the Eiron.

“Fine, I’ll rest,” the Beastmaster replied begrudgingly. Tao could tell that Dar was not happy with the enforced rest. “What will you be doing?” Dar questioned.

“Me?” Tao laughed. “I will find us some dinner and then I’ll be working on a path for you outside.”

The Beastmaster gave no answer and finished his pear. Brushing his hands together, Dar slowly gained his feet. Tao watched in silence. “Tao,” Dar asked. “Which way?”

Tao closed his eyes; he wanted to go to Dar and help him to the bedding. He found himself fighting the urge to take his beloved into his arms and soothe away the pain the caused Dar’s forehead to crease. He wanted to make everything go back to the way it was before they ran into the Terrons. Knowing that he couldn’t do that, he gave directions. “A few steps to your left, Dar.”

Dar knew better than to ask for a hand. It seemed Tao wasn’t going to help him. Fine, he’d do it himself. Dar took a hesitant step to his left. As he placed his foot down, a squeal of outrage pierced the silence. “Podo, I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you there.”


//That was my tail!// The retort burned in his mind.

//I’m sorry.//

//Watch where you’re walking next time!//

Dar chuckled; “I’ll try harder next time, Podo.”

Tao was snickering at the exchange. He knew Dar was getting an “earful”, just from the look on his face. “Don’t tell him anything, you rat. He needs to find things on his own;” Tao admonished the indignant ferret.

“Tao, they’re ferrets, not rats.” Came the standard reply.

“Dar, rest. Now.”

“Bossy Eiron,” Dar muttered under his breath as he cautiously made his way to the bedding. Finding the edge of the blankets with his toes, Dar bent over to feel where he was. Laying himself down, Dar sighed. He’d made it, without too much trouble. He hated to admit it, but that short trip tired him out. The golden haired Sula moved about around to get comfortable and to his amazement, found himself drifting off to sleep.

When the Beastmaster’s breathing had evened out, Tao made his way outside. Raising his face to the sun, Tao pondered his next move. ‘We need to get to the Sanctuary. We’re too close to Zad and his men. I’m afraid that they will come looking for Dar’s body and I don’t want us to be anywhere close to them.’ With those thoughts whirling in his head, Tao went to forage for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next lesson was a disaster. Dar had fallen so many times; he was beginning to think he was Tao. Sweat trickled down his chest, leaving rivulets in the dust which now covered him. Finally, Dar gave up and sat himself down in a patch of sunlight. His acquiescence was the last straw for the Eiron.



“Oh Dar,” Tao cried with such exasperation. “Quit being so blind! Can‘t you see that we must, we need to get to the Sanctuary?”

“That’s cruel, Tao. I AM blind. How else should I be?” Dar’s voice was very low.

Tao ran his hands through his hair. He started pacing and looked over to his lover. Seeing Dar sitting there so complacent, so calm, so dirty, was driving him crazy.

Dar’s head cocked to the side. He heard Tao’s pacing and pictured the Eiron in his mind. “Tao, sit down. Pacing isn’t going to help.”

Tao glared at the man and giving himself a shake sat down. “Dar, you can move like the wind. Get up and let’s make our way back to the Sanctuary.”

“Tao, right now, I can’t move like anything. I can’t see at all and you want me to travel through the forests to the Sanctuary.” Dar shook his head. “I can’t make a move without stumbling over something. My feet seem to have a mind of their own and I don’t have a clue where they are. I‘m getting to be very well acquainted with the forest floor.”

Tao pondered Dar’s words. He stood up and approached Dar as quietly as he could. Touching the other man’s shoulder, Tao soon found his hand caught in his lover’s steel grip.

Using that grip, Tao hauled Dar to his feet. “We’re going to the Sanctuary. Now.”

Dar’s head snapped up at the tone of Tao’s voice. “What?”

“We’re leaving, now. I have everything packed and we’re leaving. Start walking.” Tao’s voice held a touch of steel that Dar had never heard before.

“Tao, you have got to be kidding. I can’t walk through the forest to the Sanctuary,” Dar complained. “Every predator will hear us for leagues!”

“That’s true, Dar. But, have you thought of what we’re to do if we run into Terrons? Hmm? Have you thought of that?” Tao’s finger jabbed Dar’s chest with each word. “Do you honestly think I can protect the both of us?” Tao was getting riled and his words continued to flow. “On the way to the Sanctuary, you will once again learn to be the fearless warrior that you are.”

“And just how I am to do that?” The warrior snapped.

“I will teach you,” Tao replied.

“Then lead on, Eiron.” Dar’s words were low and bitter.

Tao began the first steps of the long journey to the Sanctuary. “Remember Dar, I am ‘the way‘. Just remember that, beloved.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The journey proved to be one of the worst and yet one of the best of times for Tao and Dar. Tao’s determination that Dar regain his confidence drove Dar crazy. Tao was constantly throwing a jab at Dar, or darting behind trees and sneaking up on him. Dar knew he was in trouble when Ruh decided to join in the fun. He would be walking just fine when the tiger would lash out with a paw, sending Dar to the forest floor.

“Ruh,” Dar snarled after one smarting encounter with a small tree. “I think that a certain tiger better watch his tail!”

Ruh just huffed and walked away, feeling rather proud of himself.

“Tigers,” miffed Dar as he shook his head. He smiled and then laughed.

One time after Tao had tackled the Beastmaster, Dar had had enough. He gained his feet and charged the Eiron. Dar brought the smaller man down and was disgusted to hear Tao laughing.

“Finally! You finally trust yourself enough!” Tao grabbed Dar’s face and kissed him deeply. “It’s about time, Dar! Gods, it took you long enough!” Tao’s laugh was one of pure joy.

After that tackle, Tao’s ambushes eventually turned into playful grapplings. Most times, the men would find themselves going just far enough off the trail to be invisible to passers by while quickly loving each other.

Tao was not one to complain of the delays, as the loving was a healing for Dar’s confidence and soothing for Tao with his tiring, stubborn persistence to help the Beastmaster regain his warrior-sharp coordination and reflexes. One such loving was forever branded into the Eiron’s memory. He had been walking in front of Dar and decided to see if he could trip the man up. The Eiron felt bad about these little ambushes, but knew they were necessary for Dar to understand and learn from whence direction danger came.

Hunkering down, Tao lashed out with his foot, catching Dar behind the ankle. Tao gave a quick pull up and the Beastmaster found himself flat on his back. The Eiron cringed as he watched his lover land, knowing that falling on the staff had to be painful.

“You stinker!” Dar shouted as he regained his footing. “That was not fair!”

Tao laughed and danced out of the reach of Dar’s hands. “Yes, you’re right, it wasn’t fair. But since when do Terrons fight fair? Hmm?”

“Wait ‘till I get my hands on you, Tao. Just wait,” Dar growled.

Laughter greeted Dar’s threat. Tao knew Dar would never hurt him. But then again, there were different punishments. This threat could prove to be interesting.

Dar waited until he could feel the sun begin to set. The sun’s warmth made its way down the side of his face whilst the cooler evening breeze caressed his cheek. It was time to make his move. Walking up behind Tao, Dar threw an arm around his waist and dragged him off the trail. Tao struggled for purchase, but he was lifted up and over Dar’s shoulder.

“Ugh” gasped Tao as his stomach met a rock-solid shoulder. “Dar, what are you doing? Put me down.”

“Tell me Tao, is there a glade near here? I hear the breeze blowing through the grasses.”

Tao was stunned. “You hear the breeze?” he asked.

“Yes, can’t you?” Dar replied. “I can feel that it’s close to dark. The air is cooler now.”

Speechless, Tao stared at the broad back. ‘He did it! He can live in his dark world now.’ Tears came to the Eiron’s eyes. Dar could survive now. They would make it just fine.

“Tao,” Dar queried. “The glade?”

“Oh, yes,” Tao stammered. “We’re at the edge of it. Go in a bit further. There’s a tree to your, no my, left.”

Dar’s strides ate up the distance to the tree. Dar felt its presence. He sensed no danger in this peaceful area. Setting Tao on his feet, Dar quickly spun the smaller man around. “So, you’re enjoying these little ambushes of yours, aren’t you?” Dar growled as his hands made quick work removing Tao’s clothing.

Distracted by the question and Dar‘s amorousness, Tao stammered a reply. “You, I, well, no. I didn't enjoy the ambushes, but,” Tao quickly came to his own defense, “You needed to learn to trust yourself. I did this to help you...” Tao’s voice ended in a yelp and he found himself picked up once more. “Wwhaat?”

Dar used his foot to find a soft place on the ground for his captive. Tao was becoming increasingly curious at the expression on the Beastmaster’s face. “Dar?”

Dar’s answer was a forceful kiss that left the Eiron breathless. “It’s my turn to ambush, Tao,” Dar whispered against the smaller man’s lips.

“Oh really?” Tao waited to see just what his lover had planned. He found himself lowered ever so slowly down the Beastmaster’s hard, smooth body. As bare skin met bare skin, Tao started to shiver in anticipation. Feeling Tao’s feet touch the ground, Dar’s strong hands held tight to Tao’s buttocks as he knelt, kissing Tao’s chest and abdomen. His tongue frolicked in Tao’s navel, lapping in and out. Dar chuckled when Tao pulled his hair. “Not fair Dar.”

Dar lowered himself to his knees and slowly drew Tao’s erection into his mouth. Gasping for air, Tao clutched Dar’s shoulders to hold himself upright. Feeling that hot, moist mouth sucking on the head of his cock almost brought Tao to completion, but Dar had other plans. Sucking on his own fingers, Dar slowly inserted one into Tao’s tight rear passage. Greeting that invasion with a groan, Tao spread his legs apart to give Dar freer access. When Dar felt his lover was ready, he inserted a second finger and found that slick muscle which begged to be stroked. Sliding his fingers in and out, Dar set the rhythm. Tao moved his hips back and forth, groaning and clutching Dar’s shoulders. Just when he felt his passion start to release, Dar backed off. Tao almost wept. He was so close and Dar had stopped. Looking into his lover’s face, Tao saw a smile that told him this night was going to be a long and pleasant one.

“On your knees, Tao,” Dar whispered.

Tao eagerly went down on all fours. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Dar reach out with his strong hands and felt him caress his buttocks, bringing those long, strong fingers closer to his puckered opening. Dar gently spread Tao’s ass cheeks and bent to lave that rose with his tongue. Stroke upon stroke set Tao’s skin to rippling in delight. “Daaar,” Tao groaned, “Gods, stop, no, don’t stop.” Panting, the Eiron waited to see and feel what was to come next.

Dar raised his golden head and using one hand, slowly guided the head of his mighty penis to Tao’s prepared opening. The resistance that always met him was reduced by a gentle rubbing of Tao’s lower back. “Let me in, love. Let me in.” Dar crooned into the smaller man’s ear. That velvet tone of voice worked its magic and Tao relaxed enough for Dar to breach him. The sensation of fullness and completeness held both men still for a blessed moment. Dar then slowly began to stroke Tao’s inner passage. As Tao relaxed, Dar went deeper into his lover, nudging that pleasure point that lay rooted up inside. Jolts of pleasure shot from Dar’s cock though the rest of his body.

Tao was pushing back with such force that when the men’s bodies met; it was with a slapping sound, which delighted them both. Dar reached under Tao and found the Eiron’s engorged staff. Using the drops of pre-cum as a lubricant, Dar stroked Tao with the same rhythm as he used to plunge in and out of his lover’s backside. Dar could feel Tao tensing, oh so ready to come. One long, swift pull and the Eiron’s head rose up with a roar. Tao shouted his pleasure as Dar’s hand continued to stroke him. When Tao was a shaking mass in his lover’s arms, Dar brought his hand up to Tao’s face. He placed a finger on the Eiron’s lips and Tao drew that digit in, tasting himself on Dar. As Tao sucked Dar’s finger, the Beastmaster continued his thrusting until Tao was being forced over the ground. Tao could feel the grass beneath his knees and Dar still pounded into him. Dar’s strokes were so powerful that Tao felt himself being pushed forward and, just as quickly, he was drawn back again. It seemed that Dar was never going to stop.

Tao gasped and Dar leaned over his shoulder to whisper in his ear, “You all right?”

“Gods, yes, gods, it’s so good.”

“Oh yes, Tao. You’re so hot, so tight. Gods, I could stay here forever.” Dar’s whispered words were followed by a sharp bite to Tao’s shoulder. At his lover’s yelp, Dar laved the injury with his tongue, a silent apology.

Settling his buttocks on his heels, Dar used a strong arm to hoist Tao up to sit against his mighty warrior thighs. Tao struggled for breath as he was impaled further onto Dar’s shaft. The pleasure/pain was almost overpowering. Dar felt Tao’s inner thighs caress his upper legs and the feeling was exquisite. Reaching down, the Beastmaster claimed Tao’s staff and with a few strokes, brought his lover to a full erection once more. Riding the waves of pleasure that spiraled out from Tao to himself, Dar finally felt his climax start. His bellow shook the tree above as Dar’s essence poured into Tao. The Eiron’s cry followed as he exploded once more.

Dar held their combined weight while the men’s bodies trembled, dancing along on their collective orgasm. As the tremors left them jerking in pleasure, Dar laid himself and the Eiron down on each man’s side, while staying joined with his lover. Tao squirmed a bit and Dar reluctantly left the warm passage that held him. Dar turned the Eiron, enfolding him in his arms, and softly kissed the smaller man. Tao snuggled into Dar’s chest and with a heavy sigh fell asleep. Dar smiled, and kissed the darkly haired head that rested upon him. A soft chuckle rumbled from his chest. //Thank you, Ruh, for keeping watch.//

It was late the next morning when the men regained the trail. Dar heard a lack in the usual bounce in the Eiron’s steps. “Was I too rough with you, lover?”

The Eiron started at the low words. Rubbing his backside, Tao spoke over his shoulder. “A pleasant burn, that’s all Dar.” He turned and, laying his hands against Dar’s broad chest, Tao placed a kiss on the other man’s breastbone. “ ‘Tis a reminder of our love, that’s all.”

Dar enveloped the smaller man in his arms. “Sorry,” the Beastmaster said softly, kissing the top of the Eiron’s head. “Next time, I’ll be gentler.”

“You’d better not!” Laughed Tao. As he opened his mouth to say more, Dar placed a finger on his lips.

“Quiet, Tao,” Dar whispered. “We’re not alone on this trail.”

“What?!” Tao demanded.

“I hear two, no three men coming our way.” Dar pushed Tao behind him. He brought his staff up in one smooth movement.

Tao glanced around his lover to see three Terron warriors running towards them. “You were right, Dar. There are three of them!”

“How far away, Tao?” Dar softly asked.

“A body’s length..,” was all Tao could get out as the Terrons rushed in.

Dar could feel the men getting closer. He pushed out with his hand and made contact with the first warrior. Using the man’s impetus, Dar sent the man sprawling. The Terron did not rise.

The second warrior met with the club end of Dar’s staff. He lolled on the ground, unconscious.

The third warrior wisely learned from his comrade’s mistakes. He slowly approached the Beastmaster. “Beastmaster, King Zad wants you dead. I mean to deliver your head to him on a spike.” The warrior waved to Dar with his hand. “Come and meet your end.”

Dar could place the man by his voice. He replied, “Not today. I like my head where it is, thank you very much.” He stood his ground, letting the Terron come to him. The warrior rushed Dar with a speed he wasn’t prepared for. The Terron’s club landed a glancing blow to the Beastmaster’s head. Dar rolled with the pain of it, quickly recovered his footing, albeit a bit unsteady. Listening closely, Dar could hear the warrior ready himself for his next attack. Hearing the man start to move, Dar whirled his staff and using the club end, laid the Terron out before he could touch the Sula.

Dar staggered, his staff holding him up. “Tao,” he called. “Where are you?”

“Right here, Dar,” Tao spoke before reaching out and touching the warrior. He didn’t want to feel the business end of Dar’s staff. Not that the man would intentionally hurt him, but Tao knew he was still in a fighting frame of mind. Reaching the swaying man, Tao wrapped an arm around the supple back and provided the support Dar needed.

“Let’s get out of here before any of those cretins decide to wake up.” Tao gently pulled Dar in the direction the men needed to go.

“Tao, they didn’t hurt you, did they?” Dar asked.

“Nope, didn’t even get close,” Tao laughed. “You kept them away from me. Thank you, love.” He gave his lover an one-armed hug. “You were rather impressive.”

“Humph, impressive,” Dar snorted. He shook his head and Tao saw the grimace of pain waft over his lover’s face.

“You’re hurt!” Tao exclaimed. “Where?”

“While I was being impressive,” Dar snickered, “that last Terron got to me.”

Tao guided the tall, lithe man to a shady place off the side of the trail. “I think we’re far enough from that scum for me to take a look at you.” Tilting Dar’s head, Tao saw a small trickle of blood slowly streaming down the side of the Beastmaster’s face. Reaching into his bags, Tao found a scrap of clean cloth. Dampening it from his water jugs, the healer gently cleansed the wound. “It doesn’t look too bad. How does it feel?”

“Like I’ve been hit in the head by a club, nothing I can’t live with.” Dar got to his feet. “Let’s get out of here. I’m not in the mood to meet up with Zad’s goons again.”

Dar led the way to the trail. The men made good time and when the sun was ready for its evening rest, the men were too. Dar heard a small stream to his left. He ventured towards it. “Tao, this seems to be a good place to spend the night.” The ferrets’ pouch made a small thud as it hit the forest floor. Kodo and Podo scrambled out amid squeals of delight. As they made their way to scavenge for a meal, Dar turned to his lover. “Tao, think we’ll need a fire tonight?”

“Hmm, that’s a good idea. I could use a cup of tea, how about you?”

“That’s not what I was thinking about, but yes, a cup of tea sounds good. Maybe a bit of something for this headache?” Dar asked.

“You still have that headache, Dar?” Tao grew worried. It had been hours since their encounter with the Terrons and if Dar still had that headache, Tao was very nonplussed--especially if it had Dar asking for one of his potions. “That bad?”

“Hmm uhn,” Dar replied as he settled himself down. He placed his head in his hands. “It feels like a herd of gazelles stampeding in there.”

“I’ll get a fire going. Dar, just rest, please.” Tao’s concern flowed over Dar as a soothing balm. “I’ll be right back.”


Tao scampered off to gather firewood. As soon as he had enough, he raced back to the campsite to find Dar in the same position in which he had left him, a picture of abject misery. Tao gently touched the aching man’s shoulder before proceeding to build a fire. As the flames started their ferocious devouring of the wood, Tao made Dar a healing tea. As he waited for the herb-filled water to heat up, Tao sat next to his lover. Gently laying his head on the Sula’s arm, Tao spoke. “The tea will be ready soon. Are you all right?”

“It just hurts a lot, Tao. It’s a different kind of hurt. I, I just feel, I’m not sure how I feel. I hurt Tao. Please make it stop.”

Tao was startled at Dar’s confession. Never before had he heard the Beastmaster complain of pain. He reached for a few more herbs to place in the gourd.

The water was finally hot enough to brew the tea. Dar still hadn’t moved and that fact worried the Eiron further. Handing Dar the gourd, Tao laid his hand on the Beastmaster’s forehead, being careful of the faint bruise that lingered there. “You’re not hot. That’s a good sign.” Tao watched to be certain the man drank all the tea. “Any better?” He asked as the gourd was handed back to him.

“Not yet. That herd is still running around in there.” His hands muffled the man’s voice.

“Are you hungry?” Tao asked.

The reply was a long time in coming. “Not really, just tired.”

“Let me roll out the blankets for you.” Tao grabbed his packs, pulling things out in his haste. He found the blankets on the outside where they belonged. With a few shakes, Tao had the blankets spread over the ground. “Right behind you, Dar. Need a hand?”

“No, I’ll just roll over.” A groan followed the action. “Gods, this aches.”

Tao laid himself next to the hurting man. Dar gathered him close. Not liking where he had placed Tao, Dar pulled him up and over so the Eiron was lying on his chest. “I like you better here,” he rumbled.

“Then here’s where I’ll stay.” Tao lay his head down and the reassuring beat of Dar’s heart lulled him into slumber.

The men slept deeply watched over by their animal friends. The morning song of the birds woke Dar first. The warmth of the fresh sun making the night disappear touched Dar’s cheek.

A smile crossed the face of the Beastmaster as he realized something else. Hugging the sleeping Eiron, Dar woke him with the words, “Tao, brightly dawns the day.”


The End