TITLE: Child Of Prophecy

Author: The Tenth Muse

WARNING: this story is slash so if you don't enjoy or sigh at the thought of two men together in a romantic and sexual relationship skip right on out of here. Same thing if you are under 18, vamoose and come back when you're old enough.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own these characters. I am writing these stories with no monetary gain. Andre Norton wrote the original books. Alliance Atlantis is borrowing them from him and Tribune Entertainment distributes. I'm only borrowing from them, in turn, for a bit. I will leave them as undamaged as I can, I promise! :o)

PAIRING: Dar/Tao

SUMMARY: This was written in response to a challenge on the BeastMaster_slashfic group. My good friends and fellow maniacs. *grin* Tao gets pregnant. Yes, Dar is the daddy. No overt sex in this one but obviously we know what happens prior to the blessed event

 

Child of Prophecy

By The Tenth Muse

"Tao, this is the third morning in a row that you’ve been sick," Dar said, looking at his lover with concern.

Taking a drink of water to rinse his mouth out, Tao spit over to the side then groaned. "I know, Dar, I’m the one getting sick, remember?"

Dar moved to touch Tao but the other man held up his hands to stop him.

"Don’t touch me right now. I’m not in the mood," Tao ordered shortly.

Surprised, Dar apologized, "I’m sorry. I just…"

"No, Dar, I’m sorry. I don’t know what is wrong with me," Tao sighed, reaching out to take one of Dar’s hands. "I’m sorry that I’ve been so moody lately."

"It’s all right. I’m just concerned," Dar said.

"I know. And I appreciate it but I’ll be fine." As soon as the words were out of his mouth, the urge to throw up returned and he spun away just in time, heaving the remains of his breakfast onto the ground. He felt Dar’s hand on his lower back, rubbing it soothingly but couldn’t spare any thought to it just then.

Dar had been wonderful since he’d started this odd sickness. Patient and comforting no matter what his strange moods spiraled into. When the heaving finally stopped, Tao rested his forehead on a cool rock and stayed there. "Maybe I’m dying."

"Don’t say that!" Dar said sharply. "We just need to get you to a healer, see what’s wrong."

"Where? It’s not like there’s one around the corner," Tao exclaimed, horrified to find himself on the verge of tears.

Dar looked almost terrified as he stared at Tao and blurted, "I’ll send Sharak to look for one. There has to be a village nearby."

"You hate me."

Dar’s mouth opened in shock at the tearful declaration but no words came out.

"You do! You think I’m hideous because I’ve gained some weight over the last month or so. We don’t make love nearly as often as we used to!" Tao exclaimed, wiping at his eyes. Pulling away from Dar, he stormed away and shouted back, "You can just go jump off a cliff, BeastMaster!"

Now Dar really was terrified. What was going on? When had the reasonable, logical Eiron scholar been replaced by this mood-swinging stranger? Merging thoughts with Sharak, he thought desperately, "Find a healer! Quickly!"

* * *

Tao scowled at himself as he plopped down on the ground. He was fat. Dar didn’t want him any longer and it was his own fault for eating like a goat. If he hadn’t been eating everything in sight, then he’d still be fit and strong and Dar would still want him. But it was like he couldn’t stop! He was hungry all the time, no matter how big his previous meal had been. Of course, the throwing up didn’t help, he was sure.

Shifting uncomfortably under the unaccustomed weight, Tao sighed and closed his eyes, his hand resting on his stomach. In the warm, morning sun, he drowsed on the soft grass and tried not to think. It was much better just to feel right now. He didn’t know why but his senses were much more sensitive these days. He could feel the faintest stirring of the wind and even the shift in temperature that foretold of rain to come.

As he drowsed, he felt the baby move inside and smiled, his hand rubbing the area soothingly. Tao’s eyes snapped open. Baby?

"Dar!"

* * *

His name was screamed and Dar took off running, never having heard such panic since traveling with Tao. When he reached Tao, the man was alone and staring at his stomach, as though it was alive. Heart pumping with reaction, Dar demanded, "What’s wrong? Tao? Tao answer me!"

Green-brown eyes met his as Tao whispered, "I’m pregnant."

Almost collapsing in relief that Tao wasn’t mortally wounded, it took a moment for the words to actually penetrate. Anger replaced the relief and he exclaimed, "Don’t ever play a joke like that again, Tao! It isn’t funny!"

"Dar, I’m not joking! The mood swings, the morning sickness, the constant eating, they’re all symptoms of a woman with child," Tao whispered, looking back at his stomach.

"Tao. You’re a man. You can’t get pregnant, remember?" Dar pointed out, still angry.

"I felt it move. Inside me."

Frowning now, Dar watched as Tao poked his own stomach hesitantly, experimentally, looking at his belly as though it belonged to someone else. A delighted look came over Tao’s face, as if listening to something internal. A look that Dar had seen before, on women who were with child and feeling it move within them, surfaced on Tao’s face. Was it true? How could it be true? How could Tao be pregnant? How? It was impossible! "There has to be another explanation."

Tao looked up at Dar’s voice and asked, "What then? Gas?"

"Why not? With all the food you’ve been eating it wouldn’t surprise me," Dar said flatly.

Haughtily, Tao replied, "You’d be eating a lot too, if you were going to have a child."

"Tao. You aren’t going to have a child. It’s impossible," Dar said patiently.

"With everything we’ve seen together, you’re saying that anything is impossible is just ludicrous." Tao snorted. "Improbable, certainly, but impossible? Nothing is impossible. And now we’ve got this…this new life from our love! Dar, it’s incredible!"

Tao’s very certainty frightened Dar. If this were true, how could either Tao or the baby survive? Kneeling beside Tao, Dar said, "If it is true then it can’t happen, Tao. We have to find a way to stop it."

Looking at Dar with shock, Tao exclaimed, "How can you say that?"

"You wouldn’t survive it, Tao. I can’t risk losing you for anything, not even a child," Dar replied.

Covering his stomach protectively with his hands, Tao stood and said, "There’s nothing you can do about it. This is our child Dar and I’m not going to let anything endanger it."

Taking a deep breath, Dar said, "Let’s find out if it even is a child first. Then we’ll worry about the rest."

For the first time, suspicion colored Tao’s gaze as he thought about what Dar said. Reluctantly, he nodded. "All right. Let’s find a healer."

* * *

"He’s pregnant," the woman announced.

"Excuse me?" Dar hadn’t thought that it would be true. Had prayed that it wouldn’t.

"You can expect the child in about four months. He’s kind of small but then, I don’t know how big a pregnant man should be. All I know is that movement of the child in the moth…er…father takes place around the third or fourth month," the woman explained. "If he follows the regular ah, pattern, then he should give birth, somehow, in about four months."

"How is this possible?" Dar whispered.

She snorted. "I don’t know. The Gods must be involved is all I can say."

"The Gods."

Dar looked at Tao who still sat on the raised bed, deep in thought. "What is it?"

"Don’t you remember? That time we…ah…you know. In the cave when it was raining?" Tao said, flushing. "How much do you want to bet there was a fertility goddess hanging around somewhere?"

Dar flushed as well, remembering that night so clearly that his body stirred at the memories. It had been as though they were under a spell, even given the fact that he’d been ‘suffering’ from the mating season going on. They’d had incredible, mind-blowing sex so many times that it had seemed inhuman. It had been interspersed by intensely powerful and intimate sessions of lovemaking. He looked at Tao and forgot that they weren’t alone and reached for Tao.

Tao held up a hand, pointing a stern finger at Dar and said smartly, "Oh no you don’t. That’s how we got into this mess in the first place!"

The midwife laughed. "Now I know for sure that he’s with child."

Clearing his throat, Tao asked, "So how do we do this? Can I survive the birth? Can the baby?"

That sobered the midwife who shrugged helplessly. "I don’t know. I’ve never heard of this happening before, not even in legend. Wait, I do remember there being this old prophecy. I never really paid it any attention, of course, but there was something about a man bearing a Child of Promise."

"That’s all you can remember?" Dar demanded.

She nodded. "I’m sorry. You should visit Jasen. He’s always been up to his ears in the old prophecies and legends. He’s a bit odd but harmless and knows all those old texts like the back of his hands."

"Thank you for your help," Dar said.

Patting first Dar, then Tao, on the shoulder she offered, "If I can be of any help, just let me know."

"We will, thank you," Tao agreed, getting off the bed. "Where do we find this Jasen?"

"Can’t miss him. Lives in a hermitage at the base of the mountain," the midwife informed them.

"Thanks again," Dar said, putting an arm around Tao’s waist and leading him out of the small home.

* * *

"Sweet Goddess! You’re the one!" the man gasped upon laying eyes on Tao.

They’d been traveling all day, going to the mountain that the midwife had pointed out to them. She’d said Jasen would be short and solid of stature with red hair and blue eyes. A dark eyebrow raised in surprise as Tao asked, "The one for what?"

"The man of prophecy," the man replied, blue eyes drinking in the sight of Tao almost greedily.

Dar stepped in front of Tao protectively. "Are you Jasen?"

The man nodded. "I am. Who are you?"

"I’m Dar. This is Tao. We’ve come to find out more about this prophecy," Dar informed him shortly. He didn’t like the way the man was eyeing Tao.

"Of course, come inside with me, I think it’s going to rain," Jasen offered.

He was right but Dar still didn’t like the thought of going into this man’s home. He had a strange feeling about the rundown hut. The first drops of cold, hard rain decided him, however, and he motioned both Jasen and Tao to precede him. The inside was even smaller than it appeared and there was an odd smell in the air that Dar immediately disliked. Tao occasionally smelled of herbs but they were earthy and good. This just smelled wrong to him.

"There isn’t a lot to tell about the prophecy," Jasen said. "Just that the Child of Promise will be born to a learned man in a time of great need."

"Any mention of just how the birth is to happen?" Dar asked tightly. He didn’t like the overly bright look in Jasen’s eyes as he continued to look at Tao.

"Nothing specific. It says that under the watchful eyes of the Goddess, the Child of Promise will be born," Jasen replied. "Why don’t I get something for us all to eat while we wait out the rain."

"We’re fine," Dar said, looking at Tao and willing him not to argue.

Tao seemed to get the message, or perhaps felt uneasy on his own, and agreed, "I’m fine, thank you."

"You do know that people will be after you now," Jasen said, moving towards the fireplace.

"Why is that?" Tao asked, meeting Dar’s eyes.

"This is a child of impossibility. A child of power. That attracts enemies," Jasen explained.

If Dar hadn’t been watching him so closely, he might have missed the dagger flying through the air. As it was, he barely deflected it with his staff, sending it across the room instead of into its target: Tao. Dar had Jasen by the throat and against the wall a split second later. "What do you think you’re doing?"

Eyes glittering madly, Jasen hissed, "That child is an abomination and needs to be destroyed. As does Tao so this can never happen again!"

Dar didn’t even think. His fist just slammed into Jasen’s head hard enough to knock the other man out. He turned and held his hand out to Tao. "Let’s go before he wakes up."

Tao took it and they walked out into the rain.

* * *

"I just can’t get comfortable! Dar, stop it!" Tao ordered crossly.

Sighing, Dar stopped moving in their makeshift bed and prayed for patience. They’d spent the last three months retracing their steps to find the cave where all this had started. Tao had grown much bigger over the last month and actually looked pregnant. It was so strange to look at Tao and see the rounded belly that promised the child within.

The morning sickness had stopped shortly after they began the trip back to the cave but Tao’s other complaints had grown in proportion to his stomach. One minute his back hurt, the next his feet were swollen. If Dar even looked at Tao too long, the other man was positive that Dar didn’t want him any more. Then there were the food cravings! If Dar had to spend another day looking for hard red apples in the middle of the dormant season, he was going to go insane.

When they rested, Dar sometimes saw the movement in Tao’s stomach and an ache started deep inside. He did want this child but not at the cost of Tao’s life! The first time it had been visible, Tao had stopped short and grabbed Dar’s hand, pulling it to rest over the moving skin. Dar had been amazed into silence. They had stood there with Dar’s hands over Tao’s stomach for several minutes. When the movement had stopped, Dar had kissed Tao in love and gratitude. Their child. Truly a miracle and no matter what happened, he would always be glad that they’d had this experience.

Even with the mood-swings.

A few days ago, they had actually found the right cave and, sure enough, Tao had discovered a fertility goddess’ stature and alter. He hadn’t been able to say which Goddess it was, being unfamiliar with both the region they were in and the writing.

"So now what?" Dar had asked.

Tao had shrugged. "Now we wait, I suppose. Not that I trust much of what Jasen said but he did mention being under the Goddess’ watchful eyes. This qualifies, in my opinion."

Dar shifted once more, only this time he slid his arm under Tao’s neck and drew Tao’s back to Dar’s front, resting his arm over Tao’s rounded belly. Sighing into Tao’s ear, he murmured, "I love you."

Tao sighed deeply then placed his hand over Dar’s and squeezed. "I love you, Dar." He shifted awkwardly until they were face to face and looked into Dar’s eyes, raising a hand to cup his lover’s face. "You’re too good to me."

Smiling, Dar shook his head and replied, "I really wouldn’t trade this for anything…except knowing that you’ll be safe."

Sighing, Tao said, "We’ve talked about this."

"I know. That doesn’t stop me from worrying," Dar admitted. "You know how I feel."

Squirming as close to Dar as he could, Tao nodded, closing his eyes against the knowledge. Though he didn’t typically bury his head in the sand, this particular circumstance made him wish to do so. Tao knew that if it was a choice between himself and the baby, Dar would choose him. It was hard, knowing that, hard and painful because he didn’t know if he could take losing the baby let alone facing Dar if that happened. The fact that this had happened at all was a miracle. That he’d carried the baby this far even more so.

Part of him didn’t expect to survive. It almost felt like a bargain that if he died, the baby could live. Tao just didn’t know which God, or in this case Goddess, to whom he was praying. Sighing again, he simply tightened his hold on Dar and rested his head against his lover’s shoulder. This was good enough for now, being in Dar’s arms with this life inside him; he was content.

* * *

"Don’t you touch me! You did this to me! If you even look at me again I will kick you so hard between the legs that you won’t even be able to breathe!" Tao gritted through clenched teeth as another pain hit him.

Dar hovered anxiously just out of range of Tao’s legs. Earlier that morning Tao had started complaining that his back was really bothering him. He’d been nauseous and irritable, more irritable than usual Dar amended silently. Then the pains had begun and things had quickly gone from bad to worse. Dull panic set in when Dar realized that it was the birth and there was nowhere for the baby to come out. All his fears were coming true and he didn’t know what to do. None of his powers or strength mattered here. There was literally nothing that he could de except try and soothe Tao through the pain.

That had only worked for the first few hours. Tao’s threats had been growing in scope and frustration in direct proportion to the pains. Now Dar was even afraid to get within reach of Tao not for his own sake but for that of his lover. Until Tao wanted him there, it would only cause the other man greater stress if Dar tried to get close. He suddenly understood what all expectant fathers did: they were there on the mother’s sufferance.

"Maybe if you try to breathe through the pains that would help," Dar suggested. "Most pregnant animals do that."

"Do I looking like a fucking pregnant animal to you?" Tao snarled.

"I think I can be of assistance."

Dar spun around at the soft voice and found a tall, willowy woman standing at the entrance to the cave. Pale blond hair was braided around her head in a thick crown and pale blue-gray eyes looked at him compassionately. Tensing, Dar demanded, "Who are you?"

"Bria," the woman answered.

"Are you a midwife?"

A faint smile crossed the woman’s face. "You might say that, yes."

A particularly pained grunt from Tao decided him. It wasn’t as though he knew what to do for Tao after all. He nodded shortly and motioned the woman in. He stood close by as she ran her hands over Tao’s stomach, pressing gently and even listening with her ear to the stomach. Some of his tension relaxed when the woman smiled at him; it was so completely honest that he automatically trusted her. "What?"

"Your lover is going to be fine," she said.

"How can you say that?" Dar asked. "There’s nowhere for the baby to come out! Tao’s a man in case you hadn’t noticed."

Her smile didn’t abate as she turned back to Tao who was gritting his teeth against another pain. "Take his hand, BeastMaster."

He literally could not disobey, even as he realized that she wasn’t who she appeared to be. Moving stiffly to Tao’s side, he took Tao’s hand and held it, watching the woman closely. Her hands began to glow as they hovered a few inches above Tao’s belly. Dar looked at Tao but the other man seemed to have relaxed, and it looked like the pain had lessened or stopped altogether. Dar recognized the strain of birth in Tao’s face but the edge was off and the smaller man was breathing easier.

"Will this child into life, Tao. I know how much you want this baby to live," Bria murmured.

Tao nodded, closing his eyes tightly and clasping Dar’s hand in an excruciatingly painful grip. Dar’s mouth opened but he refused to let even a whimper escape at Tao’s iron-like grip. He wasn’t sure if there would be any feeling left in his fingers, or even if they’d remain unbroken, after this but he was determined to give Tao whatever support he could as this birth took place.

The glow surrounding Tao’s stomach increased and soon Dar couldn’t look at it for the brightness. Tao was gasping and cursing between breaths though there didn’t appear to be any pain involved, just tremendous effort. Then Tao uttered a triumphant shout and collapsed back into the bed, breathing heavily. At the same time as Tao’s shout, the light flared sharply then disappeared altogether. Heart in his throat, Dar’s free hand came to rest on Tao’s face and he leaned closer. "Tao? Tao, are you all right?"

Green-brown eyes looked up at him, a dazed happiness shining through as the Eiron nodded with a tired smile. "Fine, Dar."

Breathing a long sigh of relief, Dar hesitantly kissed Tao, who responded briefly but lovingly. That was when a piercing baby’s cry echoed through the cave and his eyes automatically focused on it. In Bria’s arms was a wriggling baby and she was wrapping it in a small white blanket. Hesitantly, Dar asked, "Is it all right?"

Bria smiled brilliantly. "He’s fine, Dar."

Stunned, Dar said, "A boy?"

Nodding, Bria held the baby out to him. Dar was going to protest but she was too quick and he found himself gingerly cradling the precious bundle. The baby had thick dark hair, dark eyes and stared up at him solemnly. Speechless, Dar just looked at the baby for an eternity, drinking in his fill. It took a long time but he eventually noticed more than the eyes. He saw that the baby had dusky skin, also like Tao.

"Dar. Can I see him?" Tao whispered.

Startled out of the spell, Dar nodded and moved over to Tao, resting the baby on Tao’s chest. The rapt expression on Tao’s face showed that he was even more moved by the experience than Dar; which only made sense since he’d carried this baby.

"So you’re the one who’s been kicking me in the ribs the last few months," Tao murmured with a tired grin. One of his fingers traced a path over the baby’s face before he looked up at Dar. "He’s beautiful, isn’t he?"

Dar nodded, still speechless.

"He has your eyes," Tao continued.

Dar shook his head. "Too dark."

"All babies have dark eyes to start. I meant the shape of them, and your nose," Tao explained. Glancing back down at the baby, Tao pressed an infinitely tender kiss to the soft patch of hair on the baby’s head then held him out to Dar.

Frowning, Dar took the baby and asked, "Are you all right?"

Closing his eyes painfully, Tao nodded. "I can’t hold him longer or I won’t be able to give him up."

Frowning in earnest now, Dar repeated, "Give him up?"

"He’s coming with me, Dar," Bria said softly.

Arms tightening instinctively around the baby, Dar shook his head. "No, he isn’t. This is our child."

"Dar, do you really think you can protect him? He is a child of prophecy," Bria pointed out. "You will all be hunted if you stay together. I can keep him safe until the time comes for him to be in the world with you, helping to protect it with you."

Dar looked into the baby’s tiny face then at Tao who nodded. How did Tao know that she was telling the truth? How could they trust her with something so precious? And yet, Tao did trust her. And Dar trusted Tao. Feeling as though his heart was breaking, he kissed the downy soft hair then handed the baby to Bria. "If I find that he comes to harm, I will hunt you down."

Bria nodded solemnly, as though expecting nothing less, and took the baby from him. "He will be fine. What shall you name him?"

Dar snorted in amusement, glancing at Tao. This was something they hadn’t been able to agree on through all the long months of waiting. Tao echoed his grin as their eyes met and Dar said, "You name him."

Tao shook his head. "You do it."

Surprised, Dar nonetheless spoke without hesitation, "Taosin." It meant ‘Tao’s son’ in Sula and Dar had long ago decided on it if Tao gave him the option of naming the child. Still looking at Tao, he didn’t miss the convulsive swallow as Tao tried to keep his emotions in check.

"A good, strong name," Bria complimented with a gentle smile.

"What now?" Dar asked, refocusing his attention on the woman.

"Now you return to before," Bria whispered, waving her free hand over Dar and Tao. Smiling benevolently, she continued, "Live and love well. You will need that strength when your son returns."

* * *

Yawning, Dar stretched before attempting to crawl even further into Tao’s embrace. They’d spent far too much time making love in this cave but he wouldn’t trade if for anything. Every moment with Tao was precious and he fully intended to make Tao pass at least another day or two right here. It did come fully furnished with a bed, after all. He nibbled on Tao’s throat and the other man woke with a warm chuckle. Curious, Dar asked, "What?"

Squeezing Dar tightly for a brief moment, Tao said, "I have the oddest craving for hard, red apples."

Eyebrow raising pointedly, Dar observed, "They don’t grow this time of year."

Tao’s eyes widened and he pouted. "You wouldn’t get some for me if I really, really wanted them?"

Groaning, Dar couldn’t figure out why this conversation felt so familiar. Running his hand down Tao’s back, he pressed his lips to Tao’s in an attempt to make the other man forget the strange craving. Fortunately for them both, he succeeded.

END