Title: Running Scared

Authors: Creed Cascade and Echo's Revenge

Fandom: Batman

Pairing: Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson

Rating: R

Status: new

Archive: If you want it, go ahead. Just knock me upside the head and let me know.

Feedback: creed_cascade@hotmail.com and echosrevenge@hotmail.com

Other websites:

http://insaneasylum.slashfanfiction.com

http://www.geocities.com/echosrevenge7/index.html

Disclaimers: We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You don't ask where we get these strange plots starring mysteriously familiar characters, and we won't tell you that I make no money, only deliriously happy satisfaction. Very hush-hush.

Notes: Sequel to "Secrets".

Summary: Bruce really is clueless and Dick has to deal with it.

Running Scared

By Creed Cascade and Echo's Revenge

Dick had gone from disappointment to hurt throughout the day, but now, after they returned from a brief patrol, he was livid. He'd woken up alone and when he'd gone downstairs Bruce had left for an all day trip to the corporate offices of Wayne Industries. That was when he'd started to get upset. Bruce never spent a full day in the office on Thursdays, only Mondays, so he had to be avoiding him. Then he'd snuck home and called Dick down to the cave after he was already suited up. Dick could handle the distance between Batman and Robin, but this was too much.

He realized he was staring at Bruce with a shocked look and an open mouth, and quickly schooled his face into a look of disinterest before stalking off. Once in the elevator he started to rant. "Goddamn asshole. Runs off as soon as I fall asleep, avoids me all day, and then tells me I should go to bed early." His voice deepened as he mimicked Bruce, "You look tired, Dick. You should go get a good night's sleep." His voice shifted back to normal as he continued to rant, walking down the hallway. "No shit I didn't get a good night's sleep, and you should know that, asshole."

"Master Richard? Is there something I should know about?" Alfred asked as he rounded the corner.

"Not a thing, Al. From what I can tell there isn't anything to talk about," he felt bad brushing past Alfred like that, but he was not going start talking to him and say too much or lose his lead over Bruce.

"You don't look very rested, young man," Alfred scolded. "Master Bruce hasn't been taking care of you properly."

"I'm fine, Al," Dick said heading into his room. "You should get some rest yourself," he added as his stepped into his room. One look at his bed and he knew he wasn't going to spend the night there if he could help it. He opened his window and scaled down the wall. It had been a few years since he'd snuck out but it wasn't something you forgot. He headed for the garage and picked out a bike to take for a ride.

Alfred decided it was best if he let Dick blow off steam and "sneak" out. He was heading down to the Batcave to have a little "discussion" with Bruce. He road down the elevator a placed the disappointed scowl on his face that always stricken fear into man when he was younger. "Master Bruce," he called out. Oh yes, even tone was just right.

"What's wrong?" Bruce asked. He knew he was in trouble for something and was not really in the mood for any games with Alfred tonight. It was bad enough that Dick seemed upset that he'd suggested he get a good night's sleep.

"I didn't think I would have to have this conversation with you just yet about inappropriate conduct concerning your ward," Alfred said coolly.

"What are you talking about, Alfred? You're the one who told me to talk to him about how I felt when the time was right." Bruce said massaging his temples with one hand.

"I didn't tell you to break the boy's heart."

"He's fine, just a little tired. I sent him to bed, Alfred. Don't worry about it."

"Sent him to bed alone I might add. I thought he was the one you'd settle down with. But instead of pampering him, he's the one sneaking out in the middle of the night."

"He left?" Bruce asked. "I told him to go to bed, and what do you mean pamper him, Alfred? If Batman starts pampering Robin how long do you think he'll last out there?"

"Robin is a survivor, he'll be fine," Alfred answered. "I'm more worried that Bruce should pamper Dick. He needs to be loved."

"We can talk about this later. I'm going to go after him," Bruce said putting his cowl back on. "Which bike did he take?"

"I'm not sure as I came down to see you immediately, but I do not doubt he took his favourite one. Do you even know that he loves the Yamaha YZF600?"

<><><><><><>

Meanwhile, Dick had driven several miles out of town and was sitting on his bike just off the road while tossing his phone from hand to hand. Finally he gave in and dialed the number Hal had given him when he first started covering for Batman. When he got the computer he typed in the non-emergency notification code and snapped the phone shut and waited. If Hal wasn't busy, he'd probably show up within ten minutes.

Right on cue, Dick noticed a familiar green glow come over the horizon and Hal set down beside him. "I came as soon as I could."

"You weren't busy were you?" Dick asked. "I thought I punched in the non-emergency code."

"Nothing life threatening. I was just doing laundry," Hal laughed. "Even superheroes need clean underwear."

"I guess that's one good thing about having a butler," Dick said with a small grin. "Although, if you needed a sidekick I could probably learn to do laundry."

"I thought you had a full time, long term position as number one obsession of Batman?"

"So did I, but he got what he wanted last night then treated me like I was fourteen year old again for the few moments he wasn't ignoring me today. I think he's decided it's a mistake and doesn't even want me around anymore."

"Dick… I know Bruce ranks up there as a genius, but that doesn't stop him from being one of the stupidest men I know."

"Hal, he couldn't get out of there fast enough when we were done. He only stayed until I fell asleep because I made him feel guilty." He scuffed his boot in the dirt. "I didn't want this. I thought, after what you told me, he wanted to be with me. Either he didn't, or he realized he didn't enjoy being with me like that. Now I'm not sure if I can stay there anymore."

"I didn't know you were a coward, Dick."

"A coward? What the hell are you talking about? I told him how I felt and he practically ignored me. Then he shows up in my room, barely talks to me while we have sex, and then sneaks out to hide at the office all day. What do you want me to do?"

Hal sighed.. "And this surprised you? This is *Bruce* we're talking about. This is the same man who didn't talk to me for a month after we got together for the first time. He's a pig-headed, stubborn fool and I suspect that's one of the reasons you love him. You strike me of the kind of man who likes a challenge."

"You think he was really just being an idiot?" Dick asked ignoring the part about Hal and Bruce together. "That would be a lot easier to handle then him just not being interested now."

Hal reached out and patted Dick on the shoulder. "Bruce has a lot… a *huge* amount of issues. I think the smartest thing he ever did was fall in love with you."

"God, maybe I am some kid. It hasn't even been twenty-four hours since we did it and I've run away and called you out here to complain. Maybe I should give him some time. If he really doesn't want me around he'll make it clear pretty quick."

"Dick, you're young, but you're not dumb… just inexperienced. This is the first time you've been really in love, isn't it?"

"Other then some high school crushes? Yeah, I guess so. Why?"

"Because the more real it is, the more it hurts and the harder work it is."

"Look, I'm used to putting up with him, and I can put up with his shit if that's what it takes. I just... I just have to know he wants me to."

Hal pulled Dick into a loose hug and whispered into his ear, "He'd have to be an absolute moron not to love you."

Bruce had tracked the motorcycle pretty easily and showed up just in time to see the hug. Dick didn't notice him, but Hal did. He motioned for Bruce to stay out of sight while his hands were behind Dick's back. "You'd better go home, Dick. Bruce is going to worry if you stay away too long."

"He'll probably just try to ground me like some teenager," Dick grumbled. Technically, he was still a teenager, but he was *almost* twenty years old.

"I'm sure he knows you're old enough to decide when to go for a ride, Dick, but you should let him know when you take off in the middle of the night. Whenever you need to talk though you're can always call me."

"Maybe I can crash on a glowing green couch of yours if we get in a fight?" Dick laughed.

Hal laughed at that. "I think there's plenty of places in the manor to hideout of you need to, but don't let Bruce drive you away. You're going to have to push him."

"Maybe I'll just start wearing tight jeans… and leather… That should push him."

"It might.. Now go home before he or Alfred get too worried. You may be able to get past Bruce, but I doubt you can get out of there without Alfred knowing."

The threat of Alfred was enough to send Dick home after a quick thank you to Hal. Bruce might have been his guardian, but Alfred was much more of a father figure than Bruce had ever been.

As soon as the taillight on Dick's bike was out of sight he called out, "Get over here, Bruce. We need to talk."

"You touched him," was the first accusation out of Bruce's mouth instead of a greeting.

"You're lucky that's all I did, Bruce. After the way you treated him he probably would have been open to suggestions. Damn it, I know you've got your own demons to battle, but aside from beating the shit out of him I don't know if you could have hurt him worse.."

"First Alfred and then you," Bruce growled. "I don't know why he's acting like I betrayed him."

"Bruce, he's nineteen and really in love for the first time. You spent one night with him and disappeared before he woke up. He thought you either just wanted to try it once, or that he was so bad you decided not to continue any sort of relationship," Hal sighed. "Did you even think before you ran off?"

"I didn't run off," Bruce denied.. "I stayed with while he slept. That's more than I've ever done before."

"Bruce, staying with him when he's asleep and being gone when he wakes up is not good enough. He loves you and he might even be willing to put up with your shit. You have to show him you want him around though. If he doesn't think you care he's not going to wait for you to get your head out of your ass."

"And what? You'd be there to step into my shoes?" Bruce growled.

"Won't matter who he turns too, Bruce. You drive him off and he'll be gone. Yelling at me won't stop him from leaving. You need to talk to him, or show him you want him around.."

"Of course, I want him around," Bruce grumbled. "I almost told him I… well, he knows it."

"No, he doesn't. God, Bruce, when he found out I thought maybe it was for the best, but now I wonder. You do what you want, you always have, but if you drive him away by convincing him you don't care... if he comes to me I won't send him back again."

Bruce moved towards the Green Lantern menacingly. "He's my world, Hal. I just don't know how… never mind. You just stay away from him."

"Go home, Bruce. Your fight isn't with me and you know it," Hal took off before Bruce could say anything else. He knew from long experience that arguments like these could go on for hours with him without talking about anything important.

Bruce grumbled the entire way back to his own bike. He had to work the relationship stuff out with Dick. He couldn't loose him. The only problem was he had the feeling that he wasn't going about it the right way. He would have bought a girl flowers, but he could just image the ass kicking he'd get if he walked in with roses for Dick. So he settled for stopping off at Dick's favourite pizza place on the way home and got his new lover's favourite food. He thought maybe he could surprise him with two of Dick's favourite things… food and sex. And this time… he'd spend the night.

<><><><><><>

While Bruce was just getting back on his bike, Dick was climbing back up to his bedroom. He still wasn't sure if Hal knew what he was talking about but he had decided to give Bruce another chance in the morning.

Dick was pretending to sleep when Bruce skulked into his room. He continued to "sleep" even when felt Bruce sit down on his bed. He felt Bruce gently touch his face and ghost a kiss over his lips.

He knew Dick was awake, but didn't open his eyes or say anything. He felt Dick tugging him gently into bed and kicked off his boots as he laid down. He wrapped Dick in his arms and said the first thing that he came to mind after he kissed him again. He hoped it was romantic… "I got you a pizza…" Oops, guess not.

Dick was trying very hard not to snicker. The incongruity of it all made him want to bust out laughing, but he knew if he did that Bruce wouldn't understand. He settled for a mumbled, "Thanks," and settled himself more securely in Bruce's arms. He was not getting out of bed right now to get pizza.

"I figured… that if we get hungry, we don't have to leave the bed," Bruce explained earnestly. "And I know you like pizza… you're always eating it. And I was big asshole, so…"

"Thanks, Bruce," Dick said giving him a quick kiss. "Not really hungry though. Maybe we can have it for breakfast." He was hoping Bruce would just go to sleep with him. Even if he was trying, Dick was not ready to do anything and wake up alone again.

"I think you should sleep now," Bruce said. "I will try to sleep. If I can't, I'll just hold you."

"Would it be easier if we started sleeping in your room? You're going to have to be able to fall asleep if we're going to be sleeping together," Dick said wondering what Bruce's reaction would be.

"My bed is bigger," Bruce agreed quietly.

"Okay, let's go," Dick said worming his way out of Bruce's grasp. He thought for a second and decided he'd come back for clothes in the morning. "Come on." he grabbed Bruce's hand and pulled him out of bed.

"Dick, I… I want to spoil you," Bruce said abruptly.

"You don't have to spoil me, Bruce. Just don't treat me like a kid or ignore me, and trust me enough to sleep when I do."

"Sometimes I don't sleep because of the nightmares," Bruce admitted, even as Dick pulled him towards the master bedroom. "And maybe I want to spoil you for real. Not big stuff. I'm not good at saying things… and maybe, I can show you with small things? Like the pizza?"

"Pizza's fine, Bruce. You don't have to say you love me as long as you show me," Dick said letting a smile slip out.

Bruce grimaced superficially and smacked Dick's ass lightly. "I do. Now let's get to sleep."

<><><><><><>

Dick had woken up sometime just before sunrise with a sleeping Bruce wrapped around him. They'd both stripped down before getting in bed and feeling Bruce with him was about perfect. He must have dozed back off because the next time he opened his eyes he was still in Bruce's arms but Alfred was saying good morning and setting down a breakfast tray and a paper on the table next to the bed.

"Ahhh… morning, Al," Dick pulled the sheet up and grinned up at the butler over the edge of it.

"Good morning, Master Richard. I brought breakfast for you both. Should I move your things in here while you are both out today?"

"Go ahead and do that, please Alfred," Bruce said, without even cracking open an eye.

"Thanks, Al," Dick said with a huge grin. "You're not going to be coming back in here anytime soon are you?" Bruce needed to be rewarded, but he couldn't do that with Al popping in and out of the room.

"I'll summon you for a late lunch via the intercom," Alfred said. "Good to see you've come to your senses, Master Bruce."

As soon as the door closed Dick was all over Bruce. "Love you, Bruce," he said in between kisses. "Love you."

"What you said…" Bruce whispered back.

 

END.