(Not So) Sweet Sixteen

by seby

(Batman/Robin slash, PG-13)

Ahhh, the consequences. You knew there'd be some! Special thanks to the World's Best Beta, nw's chick.

Disclaimer: I don't own the boys. I just play with them.


^.^ Chapter 4 ^.^


Dick was glad he had left a message at the library for Babs. He didn't want her to ask any questions when he asked that she let Alfred know he'd be coming home a little later than usual and was getting a ride from a friend. Alfred wouldn't like that the plans hadn't been made in advance. Plus he was sure they'd be able to tell just from his tone of voice that he wasn't calling from the school. Dammit, Grayson, you've got to learn how to lie, he told himself, knowing that he'd never succeed. As long as no one asked him, he wouldn't volunteer any information and then they'd never know. As long as he didn't have to look someone straight in the eye when he told less than the full story, that is. He couldn't do that, either.

He reminded himself of that thought as he turned around to wave goodbye to Steve. He hoped that they wouldn't somehow decide to ask him if his ride home had been by a fully licensed driver. Geez, Grayson, now you're paranoid, too!

Dick frowned. And why? I deserve to have some fun! It's not like I wanted to go to school every day, anyway. "Home schooling" was what his previous education had been, and it served him well. He wasn't struggling at the public school. He stopped as he reached the walkway toward the house. Were those tire tracks in the light dusting of snow on the driveway heading into the garage? Bruce shouldn't be home from Wayne Enterprises yet, and Babs would be at her job. Maybe Alfred went out for groceries, he thought as his heart skipped a beat.

Alfred met him at the front door. "Good evening, Master Richard. Master Bruce would like to speak to you in the study."

Dick froze. "Bruce?! What's he doing home?"

Bruce stood in the doorway to the study. "How was school today, Dick?" His voice was toneless.

"Um, the usual, I guess. Why are you home early?" The tremor was barely audible.

"Where have you been?" the growl in his voice sounded more like Batman's than Bruce's.

"Whaddaya mean? Didn't Babs call?" Sounds of desperation snuck in.

"Do you mean you expected Barbara to lie for you?" The voice said 'all bets are off.'

"No! I just mean she told you I was getting a ride home, right?" The attempt at composure was battling with the thoughts of making a break for the door.

"Yes. And where did that ride come from?" The toneless voice returned.

"Umm, Steve." Uncertainty.

"Dammit Dick! Do you think I'm stupid? Do you think the school doesn't notice when students wander out and don't return? Don't you ever think about the consequences of your actions!?" Bruce tried to restrain his anger. His first thought when the school contacted him was that Dick had been kidnapped. He knew Robin had defensive skills, but this was Dick, with no Robin gear, at school. By the time he had contacted Alfred and the tracking equipment was trained onto the homing device planted in Dick's watch, the coordinates read the mall. The movie theatre was pinpointed. A discreet call to mall security and a brief patrol revealed five high school aged students immensely enjoying free refills of popcorn and pop. A boy fitting Dick's description seemed intent on killing an entire box of Goobers before the opening credits concluded.

Bruce hadn't thought as he blew out of Wayne Enterprises, demanding over his shoulder that his secretary cancel all his meetings. He tried not to think as he drove to Wayne Manor, keeping in constant contact with Alfred. But he had plenty of time to seethe as he waited in the study for Dick to end his joyride. By the time Dick spotted the tire tracks, Bruce was livid, and laying in wait.

"So was it worth it? Thumbing your nose at your obligations, at the rules, at me; acting like a child with no regard for those responsible for you?"

Dick's temper went from 0 to 60 in two seconds. "I'm not a child! You just treat me that way. And you're not responsible for me! I'm 16 and I'm responsible for myself! And yes, it was worth it! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!" He tried to storm by Bruce, who had moved between Dick and the stairway as he had been interrogating him.

Bruce grabbed his arm and spun him around, snatching Dick's other arm and pinning his back to the banister, leaning just inches from the youth's face.

"I am responsible for you until you are 18 years old. What you did today was completely childish, foolish, senseless. And I cannot believe you think the concern you put us through was worth less than 8 hours at the mall." A face of steel glared into Dick's, who had a similar _expression on his own youthful countenance. He didn't back down, although a glimmer of regret over the thought of their worrying flashed through his eyes.

"I'm sorry if I worried you. But you've been so occupied I didn't even think you'd notice. Going to that stupid school was your idea, not mine. It would have been lame again today, anyway, and when my friends cared enough to celebrate my birthday, I decided I wanted to. I had a good time and you didn't have to bother, so what's the big deal? What I did today is called living. You should try it sometime." He was breathing hard now, feeling more hurt and anger than he realized he had been harboring.

"Today was a *school* day. It is *your* responsibility, as well as *mine*, that you be *in* school today. *Tomorrow* is your birthday. While I do have duties *requiring* my attention, I have *not* been so *occupied* that the *event* would have gone by *unnoticed*." Bruce realized he was shaking Dick with each emphasized word. Bruce's tone was colder than Dick had ever heard it. "However, since you decided to celebrate today, and your actions caused me to cancel all my duties today, so that I could sit and wait for you to come to your senses, it now appears tomorrow's plans have changed." He had managed to bring a little more control over his anger.

"You failed to attend seven hours of school today. Therefore you will serve seven hours of detention tomorrow. Since you feel school would have been 'lame,' you will serve physical detention, instead. That will keep your mind free to consider the stupidity and childishness of your actions." Dick started to open his mouth to protest the accusations and argue Bruce's demeanor when Bruce's eyes flashed in an anger Dick had only seen Batman reveal to the worst of the criminal underworld. Bruce suddenly noticed something new about Dick's appearance, and his struggle to maintain an even temper abruptly ended. Bruce Wayne retreated and allowed Batman to take over.

"Don't you dare say another word, Richard Grayson. You are too reckless to even realize what you have done today. You will go to your room right now, and get that thing out of your ear!" Bruce practically threw Dick at the stairs as he whirled around and stormed toward the Batcave.

"Shall we have dinner first?" Alfred asked tentatively.

"He will not be having any dinner, Alfred. And he will not be joining me tonight." The door slammed solidly behind him. Tears of hurt and fury burned at Dick's eyes. "I wouldn't want to anyway!" he shouted at the closed door. "And I already had dinner." He turned and ran blindly up the stairs.

"And I'm not taking out my earring!" he screamed, running down the upstairs hall and slamming his bedroom door, furious but fearfully hoping Bruce hadn't heard his last comment. Judging by the look on the man's face, Dick was sure Bruce would have easily ripped his entire ear off if he had.



To be continued...