Paper

By Chicago

Disclaimers: Characters belong to DC Comics, borrowed for fun, not profit. "The Poisonwood Bible" was written by Barbara Kingsolver.

Canon Notes: The unique scent that accompanies Aquaman is canon - from JLA SF&O #1. Clark Kent's skill as a novelist is canon; the nom de plum "Lavender Larkspur" is compliments of Darklady, as is the idea of J'onn playing that role when needed. J'onn's time in Japan is canon; in MM #2 he suggested that had he landed there rather than the US he likely would have settled happily in Tokyo. Canonically, J'onn helps street children in Rio de Janeiro defend themselves against kidnapping (MM #17), but that identity was exposed, so I moved him to Sao Paolo. Plasticman's son Luke first appeared in JLA #65.

Extra Note: Broussonetia papyrifera is the scientific name of the paper mulberry.

Continuity Note: Year 2 of the J'onnverse. The furor over the accusation of Lex Luthor in the Bruce Wayne frame has died down for the moment. The Obsidian Age never happened, replaced in this 'verse by "All's Fair" in year 1; Aquaman remains king of Atlantis. Eel O'Brian's struggle to come out of the closet began in "Waking" and continued in "Bedtime Stories" and "Issues." J'onn's faulty memory can be attributed to the events of canon's "Terror Incognita" (JLA #55-58) and the extension of those events in the first several stories in year 1 of this 'verse.

Rating: G-PG (one four letter word, adult themes)

 

J'onnverse, Year 2: Paper 1
By Chicago

Midnight:

The monitor womb smelled brinier than usual - even for a night when Aquaman was winding up his shift. It didn't particularly bother J'onn, but he made a mental note to intensify the refiltration process in the Watchtower before one of the younger heroes arrived to grumble about fish odors. He nodded a greeting to his Atlantean teammate. "Orin."

"Hello, J'onn." The monach sounded distracted.

J'onn rose lightly to the higher platform he preferred. "Anything I should be watching?"

"Hm? Oh, it's been quiet. I was doing a bit of environmental clean up before my shift, but it seemed well in hand when I left."

J'onn glanced down curiously, noting the aquarium that sat near his teammate. "Rescue?" he asked.

Orin looked up. "Come see."

J'onn paused to transfer the monitor controls to his protocols, then floated down to the lower level. Inside the glass tank was a delicate shell shape from which peered the pale blue eye and translucent white tentacles of what appeared to be a small octopus. This close he could feel the mental vibrations of the little creature, a mix of anxiety and relief. "What is it?" he wondered, mesmerized.

"I think they call it a paper nautilus on the surface. She's protecting her eggs."

The vibrations from the creature began to make sense, and J'onn found himself sending soothing, congratulatory thoughts. "The shell is a cradle," he observed.

"Yes," Orin confirmed. "It is hard when the ocean is hurting to focus on the larger problems, to let some die because you cannot help them all. Her distress was so loud, I just couldn't-"

J'onn knelt to gaze into the tank. "I understand."

"She was injured, but not so badly that she cannot recover and see her brood hatch." He glanced at J'onn. "She likes you."

"She is very beautiful," J'onn noted, letting his fingers rest softly against the glass.

"I know. I want to take her back to the ocean, but I think it will be a few hours yet before it is safe."

"You wish to leave her here in my company?"

"If you don't mind."

J'onn projected the octopus equivalent of a smile at the primitive mind that hummed to meet his. "Why would I mind? She is a welcome guest."

Aquaman's face took on a relieved expression. "Very well, then. I want to return to the clean up, but I will collect her by and by. Have a good day, J'onn."

"And you, my friend."


4 am:

J'onn glanced at the teleporter display and opened a comlink. "Good morning, Diana."

The Amazon emerging from the teleport tubes offered the monitor camera a beautiful smile. "Hello, J'onn. I just wanted to stop by my quarters to collect something. How are you?" She continued talking as she started out the door and down the hall to the apartment wing where she sometimes stayed.

"I am well, thank you." J'onn let his eyes drift across the monitors, active but showing nothing of League scale. "And you?"

"Enjoying the quiet while it lasts. In fact, I was just retrieving a novel I half-finished before Circe acted up again and then totally forgot about."

J'onn chuckled wryly. "I need to pick up a new novel. I was just considering finding something to re-read in my quarters."

"A little bored?"

"Not at all. Orin has left me a friend to keep me company, but I suspect he will come to collect her soon and then I will miss her and want a distraction."

"Her?"

"A little refugee from that waste spill in the south Pacific. He called her a paper nautilus. You should see her."

"I will," Diana decided, "and... you haven't read 'The Poisonwood Bible' yet, have you?"

"I have heard good things about it, but not yet, no."

"Well, then, let me bring you that. I think you'll like it. It's about a family caught in the repercussions of one member's fanatical mission."

"Diana," J'onn rumbled warningly.

She just laughed. "Truth does not mitigate love, J'onn. I do think you'll like it. It is very... human."

"Very well," J'onn allowed. "I shall look forward to it."

"You can let Bruce read it, too. There's a lot in it that he will understand."

"I'll see," J'onn hedged, quietly pleased at her easy acknowledgment of their relationship.

"Yes, you will. I'll be up there in a few minutes."

"I look forward to seeing you."

J'onn closed the comlink and settled back to listen to the quiet proto-thoughts of the paper nautilus.


8 am:

"J'onn?"

"Here, Kal," J'onn answered, drifting down from the very top of the monitor womb and slipping his finger into his book to mark the page.

Clark Kent - and it was Clark Kent, J'onn realized belated - gave him a puzzled look. "Why were you all the way up there?"

"Multitasking. I'm afraid I got rather engrossed in this novel and found it easier to be attentive to the monitors if they were all below me rather than surrounding me."

Clark nodded. "I suppose that makes sense." Then he gave a wry smile. "I don't suppose you need any more reading material?"

"Perhaps not today, unless those galleys you've brought need immediate attention?"

"It's really no use to try to surprise you with something, is it?"

"As a rule, no. Although I am surprised that you would produce two Larkspur opuses in one year."

Clark settled into an available chair and opened his briefcase. "Well, this is more a compilation piece than anything. And it's your fault anyway."

J'onn raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" He found a slip of paper to serve as a book mark and set his book aside.

"'Reclusive romance writer dating Bruce Wayne?'" Clark pulled out a thick stack of printer's galleys. "Lavender's publisher is chomping at the bit for more Lavender anything with press like that."

J'onn took the stack of paper from Clark and glanced at the title page. "Ah. We've moved beyond steamy plots to real life advice."

Clark shrugged. "Lois' idea actually. As a joke, but then I made the mistake of mentioning to my publisher and..."

"...the rest, as they say, is history," J'onn finished.

Clark fidgeted a little as J'onn scanned a couple of pages. "Lovelorn Press is really keen to have you - Lavender - tour this one. I know you just did the European release of 'Serenity Falls,' but I was hoping-"

"Of course, Clark. I'm sure Bruce won't mind having Lavender around for a couple more months."

A hint of a blush colored Clark's cheeks for a second, a curious reaction but one J'onn dismissed without much thought. "I appreciate it," Clark said. "You don't mind if I leave the galleys with you?"

"Not at all. I look forward to reading it."

Clark relaxed a little, setting his briefcase back on the floor and stretching out his legs to prop them against one of the work surfaces that dotted the monitor womb. "So I take it it's been a quiet shift so far?"

J'onn smiled, setting the galleys next to his book and Clark's feet and floating into a half lotus position. "Thus far. I saw you had some disruptions to the early morning commute."

Clark rolled his eyes. "I've never understood criminal grandstanding. 'If I don't get what I want I'll blow up the Ferrier Bridge.' 'You mean with this bomb I just found and disarmed while you were telling us about it?'" He tsked a bit. "Not that I'm complaining - it's the quiet, scheming ones that are trouble. But still-"

"Clark, not every human has your modesty, and few have your humility."

"I'm not *completely* ego free," Clark objected, his eyes wandering the monitor womb. "Um, why do you have a fish tank in here?"

"Orin had a paper nautilus in it; he took it back planetside about a half hour ago. I offered to clean the tank and put it back in his quarters, but he insisted he would be by to do that himself later."

"And no sense pissing him off if that's the way he wants to do it," Clark acknowledged.

"A truth about any being, but yes, Orin is best allowed to assert his sovereignty when no harm will come of it."

"You manage us all, don't you, J'onn?" The question was curious and without rancor.

"Not at all," J'onn denied. "But I have learned through time to pick my battles."

"Speaking of," Clark said, glancing at his watch, "I should probably not be late to work again today. Perry's been in a foul mood lately." He elevated himself out of his chair and picked up his briefcase. "See you, J'onn," he called, already flying out the door.

J'onn let a fond smile follow his friend before picking up his novel and returning to the top of the monitor womb.

End part 1

chicago_haven@yahoo.com