Title: The Game We Play, Chapter 5 - The Game

Author: Co-written by Jay Narra & Liana Kerzner

Rating: G

Pairing: Batman/Joker

Fandom: Think "The Killing Joke," & "Arkham Asylum." Mildly BTAS. Some point after the comic "Death In The Family."

Feedback: Definitely! Appreciated! raytheoncentaur3@yahoo.com

Archive: Yes, certainly! Just let me know it's there!

Disclaimer: Batman, Joker and Harley are (c) DC! Not mine!

Summary: Joker is very easily captured and taken off to the hospital...

 

The Game We Play, Chapter 5 - The Game
Co-written by Jay Narra & Liana Kerzner


BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

...click click click...

Harley peered at Batman, the gun... Batman... the gun... and then threw the empty six-shooter aside, getting up from the bed to face him. "H-how was traffic?" she asked, giggling nervously. She glanced over her shoulder at Joker, and then back in front again. "What do I do, Mistah J?"

"Shut up," Joker answered sullenly. He rolled over and sighed, giving Batman a look that could kill. "Well, look who decided to make an appearance tonight. Figures." He scooted to the edge of the bed, pulled on a shirt and his pants, and ignored Batman for a good long couple of seconds. "Aw, Bats.. I haven't all night. Are you here to apologize or what?" He smirked, lifting one brow as he peered across the room. Had he the strength, he would've risen to his feet and bounded for the exit. Instead, he sank back down into the mattress, leaning against the headboard.

Batman stood stone still. He was trying to determine whether there was a different edge to the Joker's voice, or whether it was his perceptions that were different.

"Really... you should give it a rest on the occasion. I mean, c'mon.. what did we talk about last night, eh?" Joker raised his pointer finger into the air and moved it back and forth a few times. "Tsk, tsk." When he realized how shaky his movements were, he let his hand fall back down to the bed.

The Prince of Crime couldn't help the next part of his train of thought...

*What if he doesn't remember? What if last night only served to add to my list of misfortunes? And if he doesn't, it means he's likely to drag me right back to Arkham... and... our conversation will have been in vain.*

Batman looked over at Harley, having determined that the Joker wasn't any immediate threat. In fact, he didn't look so good. Then again, Bruce Wayne's reflection today hadn't been all that great
either.

"What's wrong with him?" The Bat asked Harley, trying to find out how much she knew.

"You beat him up! That's what's wrong!" Harley retorted, her voice scratchy as her emotions boiled. She took a few steps to the left, standing between the two men. "An' I'm not gonna let you do it anymore!" She clenched her fists in front of her and ground her teeth.

Batman stared at her, a slight move of his arm making a creaking sound in the quiet room.

Harley choked on a rise of fear, her eyes narrowed but fearful anyway. "What?" she asked softly. "Aintcha gonna say anything?"

Joker sighed and rolled away from the both of them, placing his hand over his ear. "Be quiet, Harl... He's going to beat you up and take me back to Arkham." He rested his other hand on his stomach, frowning just beyond their view.

Batman stared at Harley for a moment, then snapped around and headed for the Joker. He started examining him for injuries.

"Why couldn't you just stay put?" He grumbled.

Joker protested faintly, pushing Batman's hands away a few times. "Why couldn't you?" he retorted.

Harley's muscles twitched as she watched on. What was the Bat doing? She watched him nervously, seriously considering taking advantage of the fact that his back was turned.

"Don't even think about it." the Dark Knight said, raising his voice just enough so she could tell he was talking to her.

Harley folded her arms over her chest and rubbed at the bruised area under her costume. "Yessir," she grumbled, stepping closer to keep an eye on things.

Batman found a soft patch on Joker's chest, around the collar bone. He frowned.

"I didn't do this." He said to the Joker.

"No," Joker managed, closing his eyes in response to the pressure of Batman's fingers. "Harley did it."

Behind the both of them, the henchwench winced, hoping the Bat wouldn't get on her about it. It wasn't as though she'd done it on purpose. "I'm sorry, puddin'.." She backed away and hung her head, leaning on the wall sadly. "Wh-what are you gonna do, Batman?" she asked.

"He needs medical attention." Batman explained. "Probably surgery."

Joker looked up at this. *Medical attention?* "And who do you propose will be willing to do that?" he asked sourly, glaring up at his foe from under his fingers.

"Anyone I tell to." Batman said violently.

The tone in Batman's voice startled Joker and drew his curiosity out from under his angry demeanor. "Oh, Bats... a little touchy today, are we?" He snickered softly and pulled away from him just a bit. "I don't think you slept very well last night. Am I right?"

"You know where I was last night." Batman snapped.

Joker smirked despite himself, feeling his heart jump a little. Part of him was a little worried Batman would lash out... but that part was too buried underneath his other mental qualities to care. "Oh, yes.. that's right. You were on the floor of a cell in Arkham," he hissed. "What did you think of the place? Comfy?" He narrowed his eyes at the Bat.. and then turned away, his body shaking as he rolled onto his side.

Batman bit his tongue and used the opportunity to check the Joker's back. He had a nasty blunt trauma across his shoulderblades. "Harley do this too?"

"Yeah," Joker muttered, vaguely disappointed that Batman had neglected to answer his question. He closed his eyes and sighed just barely. His mind continuously returned to last night, rethinking the things they had said to each other. It seemed so long ago... so unreal. And Batman had been so mentally strained. Something he had said had hit a chord with the Dark Knight.. or maybe a compilation of everything.

"Actchally da wall did that." Harley whimpered.

Batman paused, absorbing that. Then he realized that Harley wasn't the one he should be concentrating on.

"Let's go, Joker." He said.

"Oh, no! Like I have a CHOICE!" Joker spat, coughing immediately afterward. His shoulders moved back and forth violently as he covered his face with his hands.

Harley gasped and hurried over to the bedside, her eyes wide with worry. She glanced from Batman to the Joker.. and pulled at his cape. "What's wrong with him?!" she demanded.

Batman grabbed her hand and pressed it against the Joker's back at the spot of the injury.

"That rib feels like it's about to go into his lung." He explained. "Has he been coughing up blood?"

Joker whined a little at the harshness of Batman's movement, moving to urge them away. He answered Batman's question on his own; his fingers were dotted with fresh splats of crimson.

"It has gone into his lung." Batman growled, reaching into his belt to get some bandages.

"Sit up." He told the Joker.

Suddenly vicious emerald eyes flashed upward at the Batman's cowl, daring him to force the Prince to move. He shook his head and let out a small gag as he fought off another round of coughing.

Harley paced in the background. "C'mon, already! Can't we just leave? I'm scared, B-man!"

"I said SIT UP!" Batman bellowed.

Joker bared his teeth, growling in the back of his throat. With an ill-chosen move, Joker tried to reach out for him, only succeeding in further harming himself.

Batman grabbed him and pulled him to a sitting position. Then he started to bind the Joker's ribs to stop them from shifting further.

"This isn't funny." He said. "Knock it off."

Joker gasped when Batman pulled him upward, unable to control the yelp of pain that forced it's way out through his lips. "Y-you're hurting me!" he whispered. "Stop it!"

Harley snarled and grabbed for Batman's throat, her thin fingers getting a handful of cowl.

Batman smacked her away like she was a black and red fly. He ignored the Joker's protests and started wrapping the bandages tightly.

Harley fell to the floor on her stomach, propping herself up with her hands to stare in shock upward at Batman. She didn't dare move out of pure fear, noting immediately the change in attitude. He wasn't going to tolerate her... not even in the slightest. She could recognize this, at least.

"B-batman!" Joker choked out, his words forming between each labored breath. "Cut it out, already!" He reached up to grab at Batman's wrists, staring into his slitted eyes - demanding attention be paid to him. But even as he did so, the rise of a certain off-balanced mentality squeezed out a good couple of giggles. His eyes watered as Batman's rough hands tightened the bandages around his chest.

Batman still said nothing as he secured the bandages and stepped away. He saw Harley on the ground and gave her a kick.

"Get up."

The frightened woman leapt to her feet, backing away with a few quick stumbles of uncoordinated legs. "W-what? What're ya doin', B-man?"

"Getting him to a hospital." The Dark Knight replied, forcing his anger down. Kicking Harley had been unnecessary. "I'll carry him. You open the doors. Move."

Harley glanced at the Joker and then hurried to do as she'd been commanded. She scooped the keys to her car off the ground and headed for the door, glancing over her shoulder to be sure they were coming.

Joker sat on the bed miserably, his face skewed with a mingling of pain and unbridled anger. He looked like he was thinking up every swear known to man, just glaring from his completely still position. This was NOT what he'd been expecting to have to deal with. Tempering with the Batman's mind was dangerous... and yet... undeniably intriguing.

*
END