Title: Going Through the Motions

Author: StarStorm

Email: knightstarstorm@lycos.com

Pairing: Superman/Batman (in past tense conversation only)

Rating: PG-13

Summary: When Superboy can't figure out what's wrong with Robin, he calls Superman and Nightwing for help. With the Titans involved, minor mayham ensues.

Warnings: Contains no rape or death of a major character, but some people don't like reading song-fic. I use Buffy The Vampire Slayer's "Once More With Feeling" liberally, and sometimes the characters sing.

Archive: Sure, just tell me where when you do.

Random Notes: My beta readers never got a chance with this one, so everything wrong is my fault. First in a series.

Okay, on to the fic!

 

Going Through the Motions
By StarStorm

Titan's party night. A once a month occurrence, barring interference from outside forces. Tonight's was special though, since a few members of the Justice League had shown up, and most of Young Justice.

Toni made herself comfortable on one of the couches in front of the big screen t.v. "Hey gang, I'm not waiting much longer!"

"I must've watched this a thousand times." Tara sat down next to her.

"Audience participation or are we just watching?" Roy asked, sitting in the big arm chair, his daughter on his lap. "If you know it, show it." Grant laughed. "That's my vote."

"Sounds good to me," Kyle replied. "Thanks for inviting me guys."

"Hey, once a Titan, always a Titan. Except when you hog the couch," Donna said sternly, plopping Wally down next to him, and taking the last space.

"What's your excuse for us?" Cassie asked.

"Honorary Titans. Same as Big Blue and my Brother in Bows." Came the instant reply from Roy.

Superman stifled a snort as he heard the comment from the kitchen where he and Nightwing were talking. The pair kept casting subtle looks at Robin, one of the few people in the room still in full uniform. YJ's leader was being quietly bullied into a seat by Superboy.

A flash in blue jeans and a gray sweatshirt appeared in the kitchen, then Bart was back in the recreation room, passing out extra sodas. The lights went dim, conversation ceased, and music began.

*Every single night, the same arrangement, I go out and fight the fight. Still I always feel the strangest strangement, nothing here is real, nothing here is right.*

Several voices joined in with the song, but Robin wasn't one of them. He was staring out the window, ignoring the glowing t.v screen.

"When you called me, I didn't think it was anything much to worry about. I mean, he's always been a little moody, but this takes the taco." Nightwing watched his "little brother" openly now. "To tell you the absolute truth, I was a little surprised when Kon-El called me." Superman replied. "But then I realized he doesn't know the network the Bat family has."

*You crawl out of your grave, you find this fight, just doesn't mean a thing. *

'Wing gave an ironic smile. "Oh yeah, we're the next generation of Waltons." He sighed. "I don't know what's going on with him, Kal. First the Ra's Al Ghul mess, now something's happened with Tim. It's like he's losing it."

*She does pretty well with fiends from Hell, but lately we can tell, that she's just going through the motions, faking it somehow.*

Young Justice seemed to sing this part louder than the Titans, though it was Gar who sang

*She's not even half the girl she..ow.*

and sprawled out on the floor as if dead.

* I can't even see, if this is really me. And I just want to be. A-li-ve.*

Thanks to the window glass, Nightwing could see Robin's lips move with the final words of the song, but the Boy Wonder continued to look out over the city.

"Let me see if I can shake him up a little. Be right back." Half a beat behind the man on screen, Dick stepped out of the kitchen and blended his voice with the new song. *..A theory that's it a demon. A dancing demon, no something isn't right there.*

Superboy grinned in surprise, but it faded at the non reaction from Robin. Nightwing shrugged, but kept singing. Donna picked up the next line, Roy the third. Everyone sang the fourth, then Wally joined in.

*It could be witches, some evil witches, which is ridiculous, 'cause witches they were persecuted Wiccagood and lovetheEarth and womenpower and I'llbeoverhere.*

The Flash zipped off the couch, away from Donna's mock angry expression, and ducked behind Green Arrow for protection. The archer gave his Justice League teammate a long suffering look, then moved over on the floor mat he was sitting on. Superman smiled at their antics, though he kept a weather eye on the Teen Wonder.

Even Toni's little Rock and Roll performance a second later, complete with strobe effects and green rabbits, failed to get a grin from the boy. Nor the group verse.

He stepped forward. It had been forever since the night he watched it, a flu sick Robin using his chest for a pillow, but his memory didn't allow him to forget the words.

*I've got a theory, it doesn't matter. What can't we face if we're together?*

THAT got a reaction. Robin's head snapped around so fast Superman was afraid he'd given himself whiplash.

*What's in this place that we can't weather? Apocalypse? We've all been there. The same old trips, why should we care?*

Everyone froze, only one voice managing to meet his for the verse that followed.

*What can't we do if we get in it? We're working through with every minute.*

Dick's blue eyes locked with Kal's.

*We have to try. We'll pay the price. It's do or die.*

With an flippant smile, Superman sang,

*Hey, I've died twice.*

*What can't we face if we're together? What's in this place that we can't weather? There's nothing we can't face.*

The group had regained it's equilibrium by then, and a few shaky voices joined the first line, everyone singing by the end. Argent finished with a quiet *Except for bunnies* that almost went unnoticed.

"That's quite a voice you have Superman." Conner complimented from the floor. "Oh my God, who thought the Man of Steel could sing?" The green rabbit near the t.v commented. It changed quickly into a Gar with a dumbfounded expression on his face.

"Who'd believe us if we told them?" Donna giggled.

From his seat at his leader's side, Superboy's face was again lit up in a smile at the sheer amazement he saw in Robin's eyes. Kon-El winked at his mentor as Superman cleared his throat. "And thus ends my singing career. Take it away, anyone." He gestured to the screen.

"Aw, no." The gang protested, but Kal remained firm. "It's got to be a woman for the next one. I'll sing later maybe." He pointed to Donna. "You sing."

"Watch out windows!" Wally teased. Laughter abounded and the moment was over.

Dick, Kal and Kon were happy to note that Robin was more firmly engaged in the here and now, talking quietly to Cissie, who was determined not to let him go back into a funk. As Donna claimed she was 'Under Your Spell' in time to the next song, Nightwing slipped back into the kitchen, peeling his mask off. "I didn't know you remembered that."

Kal's smile was gentle and sad as he sat down. "Yeah. Those were good days." The two men were silent for a while, lost in thought. "What happened?" Dick asked eventually.

Superman avoided his eyes, picking up his Soder bottle and twisting it around in his hands. "What do you mean?"

"Come on." The World's Second Best Detective prodded. "I'm old enough now. I've got enough scars of my own to understand."

*And why you come to be with me, I think I finally know.*

A quick swallow of the Soder to get another moment to think. "We grew apart," Kal finally answered. "We just. Stopped. Then Lois and I started seeing each other." He shrugged. "It was never mentioned again."

*Being with you touches me, more than I can say.*

"Do you still love him?" Another long silence. "I don't know." Kal looked up at Dick. "It's..changed. I can't turn my back on him anymore. And I don't know what he's done to Tim, but..." He cut himself off, shaking his head.

*Let me take my love and bury it, in a hole six feet deep.*

The younger man blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected that. Then he thought about it. Superman had been extremely protective of him when he'd been Tim's age, and younger. It was only since taking the code name Nightwing that the Man of Steel had stopped watching over his shoulder as much.

"You know, the only nights he slept all the way through were when you were there?"

Kal grunted. "I wore him out," he answered sarcastically. "He couldn'tve stayed awake with an IV of pure caffeine."

*You know, you've got a willing slave. And you just love to play the thought that you might misbehave.*

Dick shook his head. "He felt safe with you."

*But till you do, I'm telling you, stop visiting my grave.*

"He never feels safe. That's why he never lets anyone in." Superman took a final swallow of his drink. "I was closer than most, but that didn't stop him from plotting to kill me."

*Let me Rest in Peace.*

"You know that he had..."

"Included a way to kill himself in the files?" Alien blue eyes burned.

*There's a traitor here, beneath my breast. And it hurts me more than you've ever guessed. *

"Yes. I knew about it. But he's human Dick. If he went completely insane, he'd be five minutes in the ground before he knew what happened. It's not hard to rip someone's head off. Even if it is covered in kevlar."

**So leave me be, and let me rest in peace, let me get some sleep, let me take my love and bury it, in a hole six feet deep. I can lay my body down but I can't find my sweet release. Let me rest in peace. Why won't you? Let me rest in peace.*

Kal abruptly got up from the table, crushing his Soder bottle into a ball. Nightwing didn't know how to respond to that, so he stayed quiet. He seriously doubted Lois knew of her husband's past with Batman, or if anyone else in the Justice League knew. Which meant that in this, like in many other things, Kal-El was alone.

The man staring holes through the wallpaper, trying to get control of his emotions, had once listened to his childhood worries about whether to get Bruce something for Father's Day. Had taken him into his home, without question and without reservation, when Batman felt he could not protect him well enough. Had held him and listened to him sob his drunken heart out the night Koriand'r had completely called their relationship quits.

It was the very least Dick could do to listen to Kal-El's problems, if Kal was willing to vent them. Once they were past it, they could go after Batman together to solve Robin's problems.

*Does anybody even notice? Does anybody even care?*

"Could you do it?" Dick asked with morbid curiosity. "Could you kill him?"

The answer came swiftly. "I couldn't before. We would have done the same dance that he does with the Joker." Only the monster Doomsday had seen Superman's face as very cold as it was at this moment. "I could now. I might feel guilty about it for as long as I live, but yes. I could kill him." He stared at Dick. "Could you?"

"I don't know." Nightwing answered honestly, meeting the other man's gaze. "Like you said, he'd be my Joker. As long as there was a chance that he'd get better, I'd keep trying. You don't kill people because they're sick." The noise from the other room ceased abruptly.

Grant came into the kitchen then, a guilty look on his face. "Taking an intermission," he explained quietly, seeing the expressions on the older men's faces. He moved quickly to the refrigerator, grabbing a case of Soder from inside and hurrying out.

Kon-El hesitated in the doorway for a moment before he came in. "You guys see what I mean?"

Nightwing nodded. "Yeah."

"Do you have an idea of what happened? Maybe something he's said?"

Superboy snorted at his mentor's words. "Red's not the most talkative guy when he's normal. The only time he talks now is when we're in a fight or you surprise him. Like you did earlier." He thought about it. "But I think it's got something to do with that purple chick the Bat's been seen with."

"Spoiler?" Dick asked, his gut turning an uneasy somersault. Spoiler was okay to work with. As long as you didn't count on her to watch your back. He was glad that he stayed in the Haven most of the time, where he didn't have to deal with her too often.

The Teen of Steel nodded. "I think that's her name. Rob gets nasty when you mention her."

Superman watched the clone for a minute. "You care about him don't you?"

Two dark heads jerked up. "Wha..?" "How'd you..?"

Then Kon answered miserably, "Yeah. That's why I hate seeing him like this." He looked at Nightwing. "You can help right?"

"I'll do everything in my power Kon-El. I promise."

"Thanks." Superboy glanced over his shoulder. "They're settling down again, I best get back there." His face scrunched in concentration, and a bag of potato chips floated into his outstretched hand. He grinned at Superman's surprised look. "I've been practicing."

Quick as the grin was there, it faded, and Kon went back into the recreation room. Kal grimaced when the younger hero was out of earshot. "You Bats must have some kind of pheromones that make anyone with Super in their name lose their senses."

Dick laughed, unable to help himself. "Wouldn't you'd rather have us in the family tree than Lex Luthor Junior?" The Kryptonian joined him. "Definitely. You're better looking."

Bart zipped into the room, giving them both a stern look. "Shhh!The showsbackon!" That said, he zipped back out.

"You want to finish it out?" Dick asked. "Why not? Maybe we'll think of something to fix this mess while we do it."

*Your path's unbeaten and it's all uphill. And you can meet it, but you never will. And I'm the reason, that you're standing still.*

Several people were harmonizing with the show, but no one was outright singing. Dick joined them for a few verses, then a solution to the Robin problem hit him like a bolt of lightening. He moved carefully away from his corner, and knelt next to Garth, whispering quietly into his ear.

*The cries around you, you don't hear at all.*

The sorcerer gave him a puzzled look, then glanced at the television. Reluctantly, he nodded, and as Nightwing stepped away, Tempest's lips began to move.

*I wish I could lay your arms down, and let you rest at last. Wish I could slay your demons, but now that time is past. Wish I could stay here, your stalwart standing fast. But I'm standing in the way. I'm just standing, in the way.*

Robin's barely there voice surprised everyone. *I'm under your spell. God how can this be, playing with my identity. You know I've been through Hell. Batman don't you see, they'll be nothing left of me. You made me believe...*

The rest was lost to mumbles, the television providing the words. When Bart opened his mouth to make a comment, Superboy silenced him with a glare he must've learned from Robin.

*Wish I could trust that it was just this once, but I must do what I must. I can't adjust to this..*

*Wish I could stay.*

The next song was pure music, but Gar convinced Tara to join him in a quick spin around the floor.

A green demon appeared in the room, and started singing to the following tune.

*I come from the imagination. And I'm here strictly by your invocation. So, what do you say, why don't we dance awhile?*

Tempest blinked as the creature pointed to him during the line, then frowned. It took him a moment to realize that it was made by Kyle's ring, and he shot an annoyed glance at Green Lantern, who shrugged and grinned unrepentantly.

It danced over to Nightwing, who jerked back away from it.

*You brought me down, and doomed this town.*

Seeing the blue eyes light with anger, Kyle bumped Gar with his foot, and made him take over, dispersing the image he'd created. He might razz Garth with abandon, but Nightwing always got even.

By now, some of those assembled were beginning to sense that something was going on. Fun was seeping out of the room, and something strange was taking it's place. Some, like Roy and Kyle, kept casting odd looks at Garth, then over to Nightwing and Superman. Cissie had started watching her leader and his lieutenant, and was nudging Cassie.

Power was thick in the air when Robin sang the bitter words of next song's first verse. Nightwing joined his little brother, as the rest of the team watched in silence, no longer even surprised.

*I touch the fire and it freezes me. I look into it and it's black. Why can't I feel? My skin should crack and peel. I want the fire back. Now through the smoke, he calls to me. To make my way across the flame. To save the day, or maybe melt away. I guess it's all the same. So I will walk through the fire. Cause where else can I turn? I will walk through the fire, and let it...*

Kon-El and Superman together. *The torch I bear is scorching me. He's laughing I've no doubt. I hope he fries, I'm free if that man dies.*

Kyle's voice counter pointed Kal's. *'Cause he is drawn to the fire. Some people/He will never learn. And he will walk through the fire and let it.*

Nightwing, solo. *Will this do a thing to change him, am I leaving Rob in danger, is my mentor too far gone to care?*

Oblivious, in a sense, to the conflict around him, Bart cheerfully sang out. *What if Wendy can't defeat it?*

*Fleet feet here is right, we're needed. Or we could just sit around and glare* Cissie.

Young Justice, save for Robin and Superboy. *We'll see it through it's what we're always here to do, so we will walk, through the fire.*

Robin, alone. *So one by one, they've turned from me. I guess my friends can't face the cold.

Superboy, his counterpart, **What can't we face**

*But why I froze, not one among them knows, and never can be told.*

**If we're together?**

The vigilante's voice cracked, a possible sign that he was coming out of the spell he'd been put under. Garth looked to Nightwing, who shook his head. As he and Green Arrow --blushing furiously but somehow knowing he was needed-- began singing counterpoints to each other, Tempest pushed a little more energy into the spell. Then Nightwing's voice rang again.

*These endless days are finally ending in a blaze.*

Kon-El, Superman, Nightwing, Robin. *And we are caught in the fire. The point of no return. So we will walk through the fire and let it. Burn. Let it Burn. Let it Burn. Let it burn.*

Robin's eyes blazed now, his anger coming to the surface. He paced with pent up energy. Tempest kept careful watch. The magic he'd called was strong, the way it had to be to break through the wall the Teen Wonder had around his emotions. The Atlantean prayed that Dick's hastily telegraphed plan worked.

Indeed. Robin sang with the music, but he changed words to express his own feelings as he needed to. Only their trust was keeping the Titans and the Young Justice kids from bolting, or attacking, especially when Robin suddenly lashed out.

*Where there's life, there's hope. Every day's a gift. Wishes can, come true. Whistle while, you work, so hard, all day. To be like other kids. To fit into this glittering world. Don't give me songs, don't give me songs.*

*Give me something to sing about. I need something to sing about.*

*Still my friends, don't know why I ignore, the million things or more, I should be dancing for. All the joy, life sends, family. And friends. All the twists, and bends, knowing that it ends. Well that, depends. Or if they let you go, on if they know enough to know. That when I bowed, I left the crowd.*
*He told her my name. Showed her my face, and I'm in disgrace. To Batman.*

*So that's my refrain. I live in Hell, cause I've been exiled. From Gotham. He threw me out of Gotham.*

*So give me something, to sing about. Please. Give me something.*

Robin was fighting his emotions, and fighting the spell. He shook with the effort to keep still, tears and sweat dampening his face. Superboy wrapped strong arms around his leader, whispering quietly as Nightwing gave Tempest the signal to cancel the magic he'd wrapped around the young warrior. When Robin sank to his knees in exhaustion, Kon-El went to the floor with him, still holding him close.

Dick knelt next to his brother in arms, Superman joining the trio. Out of respect, Roy turned off the t.v and guided everyone out of the room. Young Justice wanted to stay, but Donna convinced them to leave with the adults. Garth's heart ached for what he had done as he heard Robin's harsh sobs from the circle of Superboy's arms.

Conner laid his hand on the other man's shoulder, surprising him. "It's not healthy for his emotions to be so contained." Green Arrow said quietly, nudging Tempest out the door. "Whatever you did, you did believing it would help. You must continue to believe that."

Purple eyes studied the green ones in front of him. "How did you know?"

"I guessed." The son of Oliver Queen answered simply.

END
**To Be Continued in "Where Do We Go From Here"**