Title: Face To Face [or The Gloves... and Capes, and Cowls... Come Off]

Author/pseudonym: J.C.

Rating: G

Fandom: Superman/Batman crossover

Pairings: Superman/Batman (or if you prefer, Clark/Bruce)

Series: The True Adventures of Batman and Superman (Story One)

Feedback addy: jazzedup@prodigy.net

Author's Website: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/3603/jc.html

Disclaimers: All characters used in this story belong to someone else... but they still insist on hanging around me. And they're superheroes, after all, so nothing I'm doing seems to have any permanent effects on them.

Notes: This is the first story in a series that I'm calling The True Adventures of Batman and Superman. Right now it looks like it will consist of five stories to start. The first two pave the way for our heroes to get together, and are based on animated eps from WB's series, The New Batman-Superman Adventures. Story One deals with the ep, 'World's Finest' and tells the story of when the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel first cross paths. Story Two will deal with another meeting between the two crimefighters, and is based on the ep, 'Knight Time'. Then I get to bring them together for my evil slash purposes in Story Three. <bg> (Story Four is just a PWP that came to me on the way home from work one day, and adds absolutely nothing to the plot thread of the series, unless you're dying to know if Superman and Batman can be adventurous in the sex department. <g> And Story Five is where a certain former sidekick adds his thoughts.) Hope you enjoy and comments are welcome.

Summary: Superman and Batman and Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne come face to face. With Lois Lane in the middle. Or is she?

Warnings: none

 

Face to Face [or The Gloves... and Capes, and Cowls... Come Off]
by J.C
.

 

'Things are never what they seem with the Joker...' Those are the words that set the tone from the beginning. My own words which would come back to me, time and again - that things aren't always what they seem... not with the Joker or most anything else. That was only one of the eye-openers on the road ahead.

I knew that the Joker was broke, yet his latest heist had netted him only a single item: a jade statue valued at a mere $100,000. Everything else had been left behind. True, he could have just been trying to tide himself over, but I wouldn't have bet Timmy's allowance on that idea.

Sure enough, there was more to the story... a whole lot more. In fact, in another city, setups for the events that would unfold were already in motion. Scenarios that involved not just me and the Joker, but another crime-fighter, another villain, and a lady.

Relationship dynamics can be a fascinating thing. Until you personally get caught up in the fallout from the entanglements. And I can say, definitively, that the backlash of the Joker striking up a billion dollar deal with Lex Luthor -- which could have led to the demise of both Superman *and* Batman -- was nothing compared to the aftereffects of Superman making Lois Lane feel undesirable.

I'm a firm believer in 'knowledge is everything'. When my private jet took off for Metropolis, I had one very important piece of information, and I was sure that everything else I needed to know could be found once I got there. But when I entered into a professional partnership with Lex Luthor, I had no idea what I was getting into. First rule of corporate success: Always know with whom you're doing business. It doesn't pay to forget that... in fact, it can be downright dangerous.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

When I got off of the plane -- esteemed businessman Bruce Wayne come to unveil his latest accomplishment -- I was greeted by a throng of reporters. I find it hard to believe now that I didn't really notice Clark Kent. I mean, I know he was there... standing right next to Lois Lane as we made our introductions, (and I made a date with her), and it's not like he's a small man, by any means. Yet he barely made a blip on my radar. I guess he likes it that way... not drawing undue attention, but the Bat in me feels that I should have noticed, and, believe me, that was the last time that I wasn't aware of him.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

I know good and well how I come across once I put on the cape and cowl. I've cultivated that demeanor for years. That attitude... that forcefulness. I've found it necessary -- as necessary as the costume itself, or my focus and dedication. It's part of the package. I don't always have the luxury of finesse. I'm not superhuman... just very resourceful. It's to my benefit when the enemy fears me.

I'm a man that fills a need, and Superman's not the first one to call it vigilantism. To each his own... I can live with that. And if he didn't appreciate my methods, I know for sure that he appreciated my message.

That statue that the Joker had stolen -- solid Kryptonite.

I had lifted a piece from the crime scene and my analysis had revealed that piece of the puzzle. I'll admit that I enjoyed seeing the effects such a small chunk of rock could have on the indestructible Superman. True, I could have handled it better, but he started it. It wasn't enough to call me a crazy, stupid vigilante... he had to peek under my mask. He had been shocked to see Bruce Wayne lurking there. I enjoyed that as well.

So, he peeked and I just about brought him to his knees. He may be an alien superhero, but even the mighty have their weaknesses. I think he was in serious need of being reminded of that little fact.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

Payback... that's a concept with which I'm very comfortable. You could say that, in a way, payback is the very reason that I exist. So, I had no problem with planting a tracking device on Superman's cape. We mere mortals have to use what we can.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I don't think that I would have been more surprised if he had simply peeled away that Superman layer to reveal a green scaly being underneath. I don't think anything would have surprised me more than the truth.

Superman -- Clark Kent -- one and the same.

I was perched high atop a building watching through my special binoculars. Even from afar, I could clearly see him enter the apartment... and, stunned, I watched the change from crime-fighter to reporter. He flew in, immediately changing personas -- stripping out of his cape and tights, putting on pajamas, then glasses, face relaxing enough to show emotion as he talked on the phone. I saw the moment that he noticed the bug. Saw him walk across the room to confront me across the considerable distance through the glass of his bedroom window. I made a gesture with my hand -- a non-verbal "gotcha" -- stoically resisting the urge to give him the finger.

After that, there was no need to hang around. Point made -- I'd caught him with his pants down -- the gloves were off. But I wasn't worried about that, there were more important things that needed my attention. Still, having his identity helped... it made it easier to keep an eye on him.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

It hadn't been absolutely necessary to drop by the Daily Planet building the next day. I could easily have made other arrangements to meet up with Lois, but after my discovery, I thought it would be interesting for Clark and Bruce to meet face to face. This time with nothing between us but space. Or so I thought.

I've been in all kinds of social situations; I can chitchat when I have to... Alfred has had *some* influence on me. I tried engaging in a bit of small talk, but he brought Lois into it. He couldn't just let it go when I informed him that I hadn't had any luck in locating Joker.

"Of course, you *have* been dividing your time between work and Lois."

None of his business, and certainly uncalled for. "Is that a problem?"

"Let's just say that I'm concerned. Your reputation is... dubious... in and out of costume." A whole range of emotions crossed his face, but he settled on a hard-assed expression. Works better when he's Superman.

"Don't worry. I'm taking Lois very seriously. Besides, it seems to me, you *had* your chance." I couldn't resist a smug goodbye as I walked out... Lois on my arm. No matter where I turned, he had been in my face... in all his forms.

I didn't really care about his opinion about my reputation. Still, I did ask Lois about him... to see if I was stepping on any toes. It didn't take a genius to catch the reference to the competition that "flew away". In my face, yet again.

And still again...

It was true that I had let myself be distracted... both by my attraction to Lois, and my clashing with the Man of Steel. The last thing I really needed was for the Joker to come along and be proof positive of that fact. Not to mention that he had to throw out how Lois is Superman's girl.

Definitely wasn't my night.

I was caught totally unprepared which resulted in Lois getting kidnapped, me getting shot at, and Kent in my face again, this time as Superman.

I thought I was being helpful in explaining the Joker's interest in Lois: "You realize that she's just the bait."

"I'll be careful."

"Careful won't cut it. With the Joker -- expect the unexpected."

"Maybe *you* should have remembered that."

A kidnapping, a shoot-out, my quarry escaping, and a smug parting shot from Superman. I think that I already mentioned that that wasn't one of my better nights.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

Maybe I wasn't the only one distracted, or maybe 'unprepared' was the theme of the evening, because Superman blocked out my advice just as completely as that lead suit he wore blocked out the harmful effects of Kryptonite.

The lead suit he wore to meet up with the Joker. The lead suit that the Joker dissolved with the hydrochloric acid that Kent hadn't been expecting.

I've already admitted that I got a bit of a kick from that little stunt that I pulled with the chip of Kryptonite, but I felt like I had been kicked in the gut when I finally arrived at the place where the Joker had set his trap. Lois was dangling from the ceiling like a worm on a hook, and Superman was on the floor, in definite Krypto-agony. I can only imagine what it must be like for someone so invulnerable to feel so *vulnerable*. I've learned to accept my mortality. I do everything I can to avoid dying, but I recognize that I face it every day.

For him that sort of reckoning doesn't come around often... the word 'unexpected' comes to mind.

The room filling up with gas was enough to cut short my moment of reflection and move me to action. Or at least I wanted to act, but there didn't seem to be many options. You have to respect the will to survive, because even in his weakened state Kent gave me the obvious solution. Dissolve the Kryptonite with the remaining hydrochloric acid, and let him get us out of there. His revival rate was noteworthy, and after a little pep talk from me, he shook off the rest of the effects and, with me under one arm and Lois under the other, pretty much bust us out of that death trap.

Okay, there's something to be said for superpowers.

The Joker getting away hadn't been part of the plan; but then again... it hadn't been our night. At least Lois was okay, although the irony wasn't lost on me about how the evening had started with Lois out with me, and ended with her in Superman's arms.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

You'd think we were linked by some invisible length of chain -- I couldn't get away from him. Not that Clark Kent didn't have interesting news when he showed up at Lois' place. He seemed a little surprised to see me there, and I was more than surprised at the little bombshell he dropped.

Batman's nemesis in cahoots with Bruce's business partner.

I decided that a visit to Lex Luthor was in order. There were a few questions that Batman wanted to ask him. And even though the late night 'meeting' didn't provide me with any answers, I knew it was far from over.

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

I was really starting to hate Metropolis. All hell breaking loose didn't improve my opinion any. I have enough problems where I come from. The only pleasant distraction that I'd had since coming to town had been Lois. And she was making noises about transferring to Gotham, which suited me just fine. There'd be no reason to make a return trip any time soon.

Still, being on the receiving end of the Joker's twisted wit, and going up against Luthor's twisted version of our collaboration, didn't pack as much punch as Lois finding out my true identity. It was a freak accident as the result of battle, exposing me without the chance for explanations. She was not pleased. And even after going back to her place, though she agreed not to take it to the press, she didn't seem to be taking it any better. I think I preferred facing the robots.

And then *he* showed up.

"I see she's taking it well."

"It's ironic, you know. She likes Bruce Wayne and Superman... it's the other two guys she's not crazy about."

"Too bad we can't mix and match."

And those words ran deep, and I smiled at how crazy the whole thing was. We were standing there, those two exact men that Lois had feelings for... and it was funny in a way. If Bruce flew as Superman, or Superman could strip down to reveal Bruce -- well, Lois would be happy, but what about us? We're stuck with who we are, and why we do what we do. It was interesting to note that we had run into each other in all our guises... and not always smoothly, but he took that Bruce Wayne thing pretty much in stride. I guess having your own secret gives you a different outlook.

Wearing the mantle of the Bat isn't exactly fun and games. There are dark moments in my life when I cling to the knowledge that there are those who have seen and accepted the secret that I live each day.

But there was no time to waste dwelling on things. We had a situation on our hands. And it would take both of us to clean it up. Superman and Bruce shook on it. But it would be the Batman who would leave that room.

"She's not going to like this -- me leaving so soon for another fight."

"Tell me about it."

Not that his commiseration made him stick around for the outcome. Part of me didn't appreciate that. It was as if he didn't want to be associated with the whole Batman/Bruce Wayne fiasco in Lois' eyes. Or maybe he just wanted to give us some privacy. He didn't miss much. I just put on my suit, and told her what I had been telling myself for years.

"It has to be done."

<< ^^ >> << ^^ >> << ^^ >>

The final showdown took place inside of a lead-lined building. Testament to the fact that Lex Luthor was not to be underestimated. The lead blocked Superman's x-ray vision, but it wasn't enough to keep him out. Once I gave him a nudge in the right direction.

"There's always the direct approach."

The result of which was a custom made Superman-sized entrance.

I couldn't resist a smile and a quip. "You're learning." I've gotten used to having partners... I could have done worse. In fact, it turned out to be a hell of a fight. I was glad to have him on my side.

And after defeating the rogue machines that Luthor had created with the help of my money, and dissolving that hellish business partnership, and being let down gently by a certain Daily Planet reporter, I was glad to be going home. In a way.

I didn't really think he would come to say goodbye, and I had convinced myself that I had no reason to contact him. To say I was surprised was an understatement. I covered that all up in my usual manner. Banter with a bite.

"Come to make sure I'm leaving?"

"Actually, I thought we worked pretty well together. Not that I want to make a habit of it."

"She's all yours now. If you can handle that. But you better be good to her." I got in *his* face, then. Bruce Wayne up close to Clark Kent. And in a flash it occurred to me that Lois wasn't the issue between us anymore. In fact, I think he had made his decision regarding her long before I ever showed up. But I didn't let it go. "Cause I know where you live."

I was shook up. Just a little bit. As I turned and walked to the plane, thoughts tumbled randomly through my head. Memories of the past few days... which led me to a question. Why *had* he shown up? We taxied down the runway, and he hadn't moved. When we took off, I closed my eyes, not wanting to see him still standing there... or see him walk away.

I didn't understand this sudden emotional tangle. Lois hadn't worked out, I reminded myself, so I was glad to leave Metropolis. It was over. I had done what I had set out to do, which was get answers. But then again, I had also gotten an answer that I hadn't bargained for.

I know where Superman lives.

THE END of Story One <to be continued in "In Unfamiliar Space">