Title: A day in the life 2: Boys will be boys.


Author: Mariana

(Ladymariann1@hotmail.com)

Pairing: Bruce/Dick


Rating: PG-13


Disclaimer: Not mine, never will be.


A day in the life 2: Boys will be boys.
by Mariana
~~**~~


Alfred Pennyworth came down the stairs of Wayne Manor cautiously. He was getting ready to go to bed when the unmistakable sound of glass breaking and chairs being moved around reached his ears. The noises came from the
kitchen, * his * kitchen. So he'd armed himself with his old shotgun and went to investigate, ready to teach a lesson to the nefarious intruders.

~~**~~

Silently, he approached the kitchen, standing right outside the door. There was someone in there all right. Faint light filtered from under the door and he could hear the sound of muffled voices coming from inside. Very slowly he opened the door. The light he saw before came from the opened refrigerator and it allowed him to see the mess on the floor. A broken glass, which apparently had been filled with milk and several other containers, the food so carefully stored in them now spilled all over his clean floor. An overturned chair blocked his path.

He caught a movement from the corner of his eye and the turned quickly towards it as his hand searched for the light switch on the wall.

"All right, you ruffians, show yourselves!"

He pointed his shotgun to the back of the intruder, his mind registering the fact that the man was dressed in nothing more than a silk robe. The tall man slowly turned around...revealing the mortified face of his employer.

~~**~~

"Master Bruce! What on earth...?"

"Ah, sorry Alfred we didn't mean to disturb you. Dick and I were...that is we just returned home and we were hungry so we came to look for something to eat and we, ah, we had a little...accident."

He looked decidedly sheepish as he spoke hurriedly; at the same time his hands were busy trying to tie his robe, but he wasn't fast enough to keep Alfred from noticing the fact that he was naked... and quite obviously aroused, underneath it. All the time his employer had been standing in front of the second intruder, no doubt to give the other man time to compose himself, but now his identity was revealed as he jumped down from the kitchen table.

"Hi Alfred."

"Ah, Master Dick, I should have known."

The young man smiled as he finished zipping his jeans. He was shirtless and barefoot, his hair looked as if someone had been running his fingers through it and there was a very suspicious mark on his neck. It wasn't hard to imagine the kind of...'accident' the two men had been involved in.

Alfred recovered from his initial surprise quickly; the mask of the imperturbable butler was back in place. After all, he was used to the peculiarities of the inhabitants of Wayne Manor. However, it would truly be better if their 'accidents' were restricted to the bedroom area. He cleared his throat and, with his most severe voice, he spoke to his charges.

"Sirs, I really think it would be better if you let me know when you're home, if only to avoid any more unfortunate incidents such as this."

"Ah, yes Alfred, you're right, of course."-Bruce Wayne, powerful businessman during the day and scourge of criminals at night, lowered his head like a guilty child as he spoke.

"Yeah, we really should do that."-Dick Grayson, courageous police officer and leader of heroes, cringed under the scrutiny of the older man.

"Well then, perhaps you two should go to bed now."

"But we should clean up this mess..."

"I'll take care of that. I'm sure you'll want to rest now."

He opened the kitchen door and motioned them out, allowing no more arguments. The two men walked out quickly, clearly relieved to escape from him. And, Alfred thought, most likely eager to return to their previous activities.

Shaking his head, he put down the shotgun, grabbed a broom and started to clean up the mess his boys had left behind. He almost wished they were back to the days when they had tried to be discreet about the new turn in their
relationship. Their efforts were rather naive for such intelligent men. After all, how could they believe he wouldn't notice something like that? The looks, the subtle touches and, above all, the happy glint in Master Bruce's eyes, which had been absent for so many years.

He may give his boys a hard time about their... amorous escapades. But in truth he was pleased with this turn of events. As much as he wished for Master Bruce to give up his crusade against crime and stop putting himself in danger, he knew, deep inside, that such thing was impossible. Gotham City needed it's protector and Master Bruce was the only man that could endure the pressure of wearing the mantle of the Bat. Besides, he wouldn't be a complete man without his dark half; he needed Batman as much as the good citizens of Gotham did.

Still, he'd always hoped that Master Bruce would find someone who could understand and appreciate what he did. Someone he could trust with his life as well as his heart. And Master Dick was clearly the only person who could
do all that. From the beginning, that boy became the only light in Master Bruce's dark nights. And now he was Bruce Wayne's chosen life partner and Batman's equal.

Yes, his boys were finally happy and that was good. But if they ever made such a mess in his kitchen again, they would be in serious trouble!


The end.