A day in the life 1: Terms of endearment.

Author: Mariana

Ladymariann1@hotmail.com

Pairing: Bruce/Dick

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: Not mine, never will be.

Warnings: No angst, no sex (sorry!). Unadulterated sweetness ahead.

Notes: This is the first in a series of short stories that will describe small moments of the boys' life together. I got the idea (and the title) from issue #8 of The New Teen Titans

A day in the life 1: Terms of endearment.
by Mariana
~~**~~


"Bruce, sweetheart, I'm done here. I'm heading upstairs to take a shower."

I nod and watch him as he dries the sweat from his face with a towel. We had been working on our daily exercise routine down at the cave. He walks towards the stairs and I stop for a moment, watching as he disappears from my view.

The word "sweetheart" brings back precious memories. I remember clearly the first time he used it. Strangely, it wasn't the first time we made love or the second. We'd been together for two months already when he called me that. This might seem strange to others, but for us, it was normal. We were still feeling our way around each other back then, our relationship was still too new and fragile. We were ridiculously cautious with our words and our acts, but I suppose that was understandable. In a way, we were getting to know each other all over again.

We had just made love that night and were laying on the bed, happily recovering from our vigorous activities. His head was resting on my chest and his fingers played lazily with the hairs on it. He loves to do that. Suddenly he lifted his head and kissed me softly. He smiled sleepily and moved off of me, settling comfortably next to me, getting ready to sleep. I closed my eyes and was almost asleep when I heard the softly whispered words.

"Good night sweetheart."

And suddenly I was completely awake. I turned my head so I could look at him. He seemed so peaceful, so happy sleeping next to me. I stayed awake for a long time that night, watching him sleep and thinking. The endearment came out of his mouth so naturally and to me, it had felt so right. It was absurd to let that simple, silly word affect me so much, but I couldn't help it. Just listening him say it had made me feel warm, loved...happy. Because it was then that I knew he felt completely comfortable with me and our relationship.

At last I slept, with the certainty that we could make things between us work after all. Just because I'd heard him say that simple word.

~~**~~

Since then he's said many other tender words to me. At first it felt a bit strange. After all, I'm not exactly used to being called "honey". And he uses those words not only when we are alone or making love, but in our everyday life. Sometimes it can be embarrassing. Like the first time Alfred heard him called me "baby" we were in the kitchen having dinner and Dick said something like "Baby, could you hand me that plate?" Mercifully, Alfred decided not to make any witty comments, he just looked at me with this funny little smile on his lips all through dinner.

~~**~~

Last night he asked me if I wanted him to stop.

It was one of those rare quiet nights and we were taken advantage of it. We were in bed, kissing, teasing each other playfully, both of us anticipating a night of sweet, slow love- making. He locked my ear and began whispering all those sweet words to me. Suddenly he stopped, pulled a little away from me, and, taking my face in his hands, he asked me very directly.

"Bruce, does it bother you? Do you want me to stop?" -He looked at me with a serious expression on his face as he waited for my answer.

He didn't need to say anything more. I knew exactly what he meant. And I knew he would stop if I asked him to. But, surprisingly, I think it would actually hurt me if didn't hear him say those words. I know come out of his lips naturally, almost unconsciously really, because they feel right to him, because he means all of them. And I like that. They're just another way of expressing his love for me. And that's why I would never ask him to stop doing it. I only wished I could be as uninhibited with my own words. It's hard for me to express my love so openly, but he deserves to hear those same words from my lips.

So I kissed him and smiled reassuringly at him before answering his question.

"No, sweetheart, I don't want you to ever stop."

His bright smile and the look of pure pleasure in his eyes were more than enough reward for me. From now on, he'll be hearing that word every day.

The end.