Title: Enlightenment

Authors: Creed Cascade and Echo's Revenge

Fandom: Batman

Pairing: Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson

Rating: NC-17.

Status: new

Archive: If you want it, go ahead. Just knock me upside the head and let me know.

Feedback:
creed_cascade@hotmail.com and echosrevenge@hotmail.com

Other websites:
http://insaneasylum.slashfanfiction.com and http://www.echosrevenge.com

Disclaimers: We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You don't ask where we get these strange plots starring mysteriously familiar characters, and we won't tell you that I make no money, only
deliriously happy satisfaction. Very hush-hush.

Notes: Sequel to "Discovered".

Summary: Bruce and Dick realize there is no such thing as perfection, but there is love.


Enlightenment
By Creed Cascade and Echo's Revenge

Dick was thinking about how quickly things had moved after their night out as he curled up around an exhausted Bruce. There had been a rash of articles about them and people had tried to get pictures, but Bruce were too upstanding for anything to stick. They'd been 'out' for two weeks now and things were calming down. Bruce had been working way too hard though, and he was barely making it through patrols.

The next morning Bruce still seemed exhausted. "Bruce, you need to take a night off," Dick said while they were getting dressed. "I can handle it for a night or two."

Bruce reached and ran his hand over Dick’s cheek. "I can’t let you go out alone."

"We've been over this before, remember. I WAS you when you were gone. I went out alone every night," Dick said. "I just don't want you getting hurt because you're so tired. You wouldn't let me go out if I was as tired as you are."

"That’s different," Bruce argued with a growing scowl on his face.

"How is it…" Dick's voice trailed off in frustration. "Hey, I haven't seen Hal in a while and I know it's been quiet up there. I can call him down and he can patrol with me for a few nights. Can even have him use his ring to look like you so no one in town knows."

"That settles it," Bruce grunted, rolling onto Dick and pinning him to the bed. "You’re not going out alone. You’re not going out with anyone but me."

"You don't own me, Bruce," Dick said. There was a note of warning in his voice. "You get some rest today and a short patrol tonight. As long as you catch up on your sleep I won't mention it again, and stop being all jealous about Hal. If it weren't for him we wouldn't even be together."

Bruce started to nuzzle Dick’s neck. "I’m not giving in…" he mumbled, "I’m just compromising. I’ll limit my hours on patrol tonight, but I’m still going out with you. And don’t discuss HIM in our bed."

Dick chuckled, but it felt good in a way to have Bruce so jealous. "If I let you fuck me good morning will that make it all better?" he asked innocently.

"You always let me fuck you good morning," Bruce noted and started to suck a hickey onto Dick’s neck.

Dick wracked his brain for a minute. "Okay, if you come home for a nap, you get a nooner too." He grabbed the lube next to the bed, carefully not thinking about the fact that Alfred replaced it every day. The first time he'd thought about that it had broken the mood. He dribbled some on Bruce's fingers then tossed it on the bed where they could both get to it easily.

"I like nooners," Bruce grunted as he started to slip two fingers into Dick. "But this time on the hood of the Batmobile." He liked to fuck Dick in the Batcave sometimes, making him somehow closer to the Bat.

"Fuck, yes, whatever," Dick moaned. He pretty much gave up on coherent thought once any part of Bruce was inside him... a fact that had been used against him more then once. "More? Please."

"I like it when you beg for it," Bruce groaned, taking his fingers out and replacing them with his cock.

"I always beg for it," Dick said. "If I'm really, really good you beg too." He started moving underneath Bruce. He couldn't move much with while pinned to the bed, but he knew how to rock back into Bruce just a little and tighten his ass enough to drive Bruce crazy.

Bruce growled like he always did when Dick did that. He started to drive into Dick harder. Sometimes he could fuck Dick for over an hour, using the control of the Bat, but at times like this Dick snapped his beloved control.

Dick's constant moans increased in volume until they were echoing off the walls. "Bruce, love you," he yelled as he came, still moving against Bruce, using his spasms to pull him to the edge.

Bruce collapsed on top of Dick after he came and muttered something sounding suspiciously like, "Me, too."

Dick enjoyed the few minutes of cuddling before they had to get up for real. At least Bruce was finally letting Dick shower with him before work. "Okay, Bruce, I need to get to college and you need to get to work so we can make it back here for a nap and… playtime," he said as he started to pull himself out of bed.

Bruce caught Dick’s wrist to stop him from escaping completely. "I really meant what I said," he mumbled. That was Bruce-speak for ‘I really do love you’.

"I know," Dick said with a blinding grin, as he leaned back down for another kiss. "But you still need to get more rest over the next few days."

<><><><><><>

Later that afternoon, after a very entertaining playtime and enjoyable nap, Dick was wandering downstairs when Alfred cornered him.

"Master Dick, you need to do something about Master Bruce's lack of sleep. He never listens to me about his sleep patterns, but he might listen to you," he said.

"That’s already taken care of Al," Dick laughed. Bruce was still upstairs sleeping. Dick’s strategy was to wear Bruce out sexually and it seemed to be working.

"He went back to work as soon as you left to use the bathroom," Alfred said with a snort. "He's not that easy to convince you know, and I'm not sure your… methods… leave him that rested."

Dick’s face fell a little and shivered at the proof that again Alfred did indeed know everything. "Bruce is an insomniac, guess that will never change."

"Master Bruce is stubborn and driven, but there's nothing stopping him from sleeping if he wants too. If you can't get him to sleep you'd better be ready to deal with him being even grouchier," Alfred said. He was absently straightening pictures in the hall while he talked.

"What did you use to do to get him to sleep when he was a kid?" Dick asked, following behind Alfred.

"He still listened to me when he was a child. Now I have to guilt him into resting and even that seldom works. You'll have to find your own way in this Master Dick."

"Alfred…" Dick hesitated before he asked Alfred this. "Do you think I’m good for Bruce?"

"Yes, you are the only one he could ever feel safe with, and the only one who can know all of him. If it weren't for you I think he'd always be alone," Alfred said with a small smile. "I know he's a lot of work, but I think he's good for you, too."

"He’s a pain in the ass…" Dick said and then realized how that could be mistaken, or at least by someone with a young male mind. "I didn’t mean it like that."

Alfred just grinned at Dick's rising blush. "I know exactly how you meant it," he said, all traces of the grin wiped quickly off his face. "Now I believe you have homework and I have more cleaning to do. Just try to get him to rest for the next few days."

"Yes, Al," Dick agreed immediately. "I wonder if I could drug him…"

"Don't," was all Alfred said as he wandered off, purposefully cleaning as he went.

<><><><><><>

"Just a quick patrol right, Bruce? Then back here and bedtime?" Dick asked as they were pulling on their costumes in the Batcave.

"Quick and dirty," Bruce grunted. He was watching Dick as he dressed. "I’m still not thrilled with the design of your costume."

"I needed something more grownup," Dick said as he ran his hand over his chest. "Does it need to be tighter?"

"It’s too tight already," Bruce grumbled. "And what’s with the nipples?"

"Like I said, all grownup. Just be glad Alfred talked me out of making an anatomically correct codpiece." Dick doubled over laughing at the look on Bruce's face. "God, Bruce, I love it when you get jealous. You're cute and intimidating at the same time. Now lets get this done so we can go to bed."

"I’m going to fuck you just for laughing at me," Bruce grumbled, already making plans to use rope in a new and interesting way.

"Patrol, then fuck, then sleep." Dick ticked the items off on his fingers to make sure Bruce got the point. "Are we taking the car or the plane?"

<><><><><><>

Of all the stupid ways to get himself injured, Dick couldn't believe it had been like this. They'd been fighting some punks in a back alley and Dick had slipped on some garbage after doing an elaborate back flip. He had landed wrong and probably just sprained his ankle, but that didn't stop the bad guy from laughing at him as he landed a few well-aimed kicks. Of course, it also didn't stop Batman from beating the shit out of said bad guy.

"Batman, don't kill him," Robin gasped out. "Fuck, I sprained my ankle and I think he cracked one of my ribs." He started trying to pull himself upright.

"Not going to kill him," Batman growled, landing another solid kick and smiling when he felt another of the asshole’s ribs crack. "Just teaching him a lesson."

"Little help getting to the car would be nice," Robin said. His breath was coming in short gasps and the pain was getting worse. He knew Batman would stop to help him back to the car.

At Robin’s small gasp of pain, Batman left the thug groaning and bleeding on the ground. He walked up and scooped Robin into his arms with a grunt. "You’re much heavier than you used to be."

"Wait until I'm hurt then call me fat. That's not very nice," Robin said, trying to smile. Now that he had Batman on his way to the car he needed to calm him down so he didn't get too upset about the injury. "We're still having sex after you tape these up."

"Of course," Batman agreed and settled Robin in the passenger’s side of the Batmoblie. He wanted to kill someone for hurting Robin.

"Wasn't your fault, Bruce. I landed bad after a flip and ended up on the ground." Now that they were safe in the Batmobile, Dick could slip out of his Robin persona without flipping Bruce out. After he made sure the windows were set to opaque, he reached out and brushed his fingers over Bruce's jaw. "Stop grinding your teeth like that. I'm fine and the cops are picking up the bad guys right now I bet."

"You’re hurt," was all that Batman replied, gripping the steering wheel tight. He wasn’t like Dick, able to switch easily in and out of his persona. When he had the mask on, he was Batman. Batman was a separate person from Bruce Wayne. But one thing was the same. Batman loved Robin and Bruce loved Dick. Whenever he was really upset, Batman was lucky if he could get a full sentence out.

Dick settled back in his seat. He knew he wasn't going to get through to Batman so he'd have to wait until they were back and Bruce came out. He kept one hand moving over Batman's arm and leg the whole drive back though. He knew that a physical touch helped get across the fact that he was okay and not upset.

Batman even insisted in carrying him out of the car and setting him down on a cot. "Don’t move," was his simple command. He stripped off his armour quickly, growling at Dick when he shifted to sit up.

"Bruce, I was just sitting up. You'll need me sitting to wrap this," Dick said. "It really isn't that bad. Just a cracked rib and I don't think the ankle is even sprained. I just kinda twisted it. I've been hurt a lot worse then this before."

"Don’t you think I know that!" Bruce snapped, still mixed up in the headspace of Batman. He was now just wearing the small cotton shorts he wore under his armour as he trudged over to Dick, pushing him back on the cot. "Don’t you think I know how much I’ve failed you?"

"Bruce, I slipped and fell down. Bad guy kicked me and you saved me. You didn't do anything wrong, okay? Now, get me bandaged up and take me to bed," Dick said. The last thing he needed was Bruce getting overprotective again. He was not a kid anymore, and he could handle getting hurt every now and then.

Bruce was now running his hands over Dick’s body obsessively. "You’re going to be on bed rest while your injuries heal."

"Long as you're in bed with me, I'll stay there. I can heal up and you can rest up," Dick said. "It's the weekend and I'll be fine by Monday." Dick grabbed Bruce's head and pulled him down for a kiss.

Bruce’s hands went up to frame Dick’s face as he kissed him deeply. He’d stay in bed this time if it meant keeping Dick safe. His mind was already turning over alternatives to keep him permanently safe.

<><><><><><>

Dick yelped the next morning when Bruce's arm snaked around him, avoiding his injured rib. "I just need to go to the bathroom, Bruce. I'll come right back to bed."

"I’ll go with you," Bruce said easily enough. "If you won’t accept crutches from Alfred, then you can accept me helping you around."

"Will you hold it for me?" Dick asked with a smirk as continued his wiggle to the edge of the bed with Bruce right behind him.

Bruce groaned darkly and scowled at Dick. "It’s too early in the morning to be playful. I’ll help you to the bathroom, but then you’re spending the rest of the day in bed. I’ll have Alfred bring the laptops up." This was Bruce’s way of ‘suggesting’ that he could get work done and Dick could play video games or surf the Internet.

"That's a good idea," Dick said as he tried to wiggle against Bruce as much as he could with his injuries. "It'll be nice to just spend the weekend in bed with you, and maybe I can start learning more about Wayne Industries. I'd like to find something I could do to help that I enjoy."

"That’s good," Bruce nodded. "You are, after all, going to inherit Wayne Industries."

"Not for a long, long time," Dick said, sounding kind of panicky. "We can adopt a business loving kid before then and you and I can get an island somewhere. I just want to be able to help you out for now. Give you some more free time to spend with me."

Bruce smiled a little at Dick’s reaction. The truth was, he wanted Dick to need him and always stay close to him. He was a possessive bastard and Dick put up with it. He ran his hand through Dick’s hair. "I’m not sure I want children… it would take away from my time with you."

Dick slumped back against Bruce as he finished up in the bathroom and let himself be almost carried back to bed. "We can talk about it later. I'm a little more tired then I thought. Can we take a nap before we get up for real?"

Bruce took a look at Dick’s tired face and set him back on the bed then started to fluff the pillows. He knew Dick slept better with him there. "We can sleep a little while."

<><><><><><>

By Monday evening Dick's injuries were feeling much better, but he was going quietly crazy. Bruce had gone beyond his usual over protectiveness during the weekend. Telling Dick that he was going out alone, and to stay out of the Batcave altogether had been too much. There hadn't even been argument. Bruce just told him and left.

Dick just about lost it when Bruce came home with some more college course catalogues the next day. "I though maybe you could take more classes," Bruce suggested. "I know you’re only taking a few part time."

"We decided I was just going part time so I could work with you, do my work as Robin," Dick said in a voice that was so calm Bruce should have realized he was upset. "I don't think I have time for more college classes right now."

"We can make time," Bruce insisted and opened the course catalogue to art history. Art was safe. "I can take care of the streets."

"You want me to give up being Robin and go to school?" Dick asked. "We've been through this before. I'm old enough to make my own choices and I want to be Robin. You can't decide my life like that."

"I just want to keep you safe, Dick…"

"You can't keep me locked away from Robin," Dick said. "Batman and Robin, Bruce and Dick, they're both partners. Don't you understand that if you cut Robin off like that…" Dick stopped talking and turned away when Bruce's face remained blank.

"If anything happened to you Dick…" Bruce said quietly, leaving the rest of the sentence left unsaid. Of course, he didn’t know what would happen to him if he lost Dick or Robin. "Bruce needs Dick more than Batman needs Robin."

"God, Bruce. You're not my father and I'm sure as hell not some wife you can order around." Dick was shouting now. "I. Am. Robin. You think I don't worry about you every time we go out? It's part of who we are though, and if you won't let me be Robin here…"

"Don’t you dare threaten to leave me," Bruce growled dangerously, stalking towards Dick. "And I may not be your father, but I was the one who cleaned up your scrapped knees and when you had a nightmare, I held you at night. And you are like my wife…" Bruce stopped when that didn’t sound right to him either.

"Just drop it," Dick said as he headed to one of the Batcave entrances. "I'm going out tonight. You can come with me, or we can each go out on our own."

"You can’t go out!" Bruce bellowed from behind him. "I locked you out of the system."

"I overrode that yesterday," Dick called back. "You forget that I'm the one that does most of the maintenance on the systems. I'm not a fucking kid, Bruce. You can't just lock me out of the Batcave and send me to my room."

"Then I’m coming with you, you stubborn little shit!" He’d go with Dick and he’d make sure he didn’t get himself killed, but he wasn’t going to like it. The Bat was not a happy man.

By the time they were halfway through the patrol, Robin was sure he was going to top Batman in the jaw grinding. As soon as the uniforms had gone on it was all business, but the mood was absolutely oppressive. When the patrol was over, he just wanted to get away from the angry silence and rushed through changing. He was standing halfway between his room and Bruce's room, trying to decide which one to sleep in, when Bruce caught up with him.

"You don’t sleep alone," Bruce growled softly. He didn’t care if they were fighting, Dick didn’t like to sleep alone.

"Wasn't sure if you wanted me there," Dick said quietly as he walked toward Bruce's room.

"I’ll always want you," Bruce said, looking away. Expressing his feelings was always hard for Bruce. He didn’t want one fight to split them up.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow, okay? You want me and Robin comes with the package." Dick got into bed still wearing his sweats and started to relax.

Bruce started on his side of the bed but lying next to Dick did the same thing it did to him every night. His hand snuck over to Dick’s side of the bed and started to tease under the top Dick’s sweat pants, just above the crack of his ass.

Dick reached out and took his hand, twining their fingers together. "Good night, Bruce."

"Just because we’re… you know… fighting, doesn’t mean we can’t…"

"Bruce, you know I love you, but it feels weird to be doing anything when we don't even know if we're gonna be able to work things out," Dick answered.

Bruce removed his hand like he had been burned and then promptly removed himself from the bed. Dick thought they weren't going to make. Dick had always been the one to have faith in them.

"Bruce, come back to bed," Dick said pulling himself up with a groan as his ribs throbbed. "I'm tired, I'm sore, and you're upset. I just want us to go to sleep and talk about this in the morning. Didn't want you to leave bed."

"I don’t need much sleep," Bruce said, backing away from the bed and towards the door. "I need to train. I’ve been slacking off lately."

"But," Dick started to say then sighed. "Fine. You'll do whatever you want to anyway. Good night, Bruce."

"I’ll be up later to do some work," Bruce mumbled. "I know you don’t like to sleep alone… I’ll be in the room."

Dick just nodded and closed his eyes. Bruce would know he was upset but if he tried to talk he'd realize just how upset he was.

<><><><><><>

"Mister Jordan," Alfred greeted as he opened the door, taking the man’s coat. "I’m glad you could come."

"Alfred, it's good to see you," Hal said. "I was perplexed by your invitation though. What's going on?"

"I’m afraid that certain young men under my care have the emotional maturity of a rock," Alfred sighed heavily. "I thought that since you were their age and persuasion…"

Hal grimaced at Alfred's words. "You didn't talk to Bruce before you called me did you?"

"Of course not," Alfred made a tsking sound at Hal. "I’ve dealt with Master Bruce since he was a boy. I know he doesn’t play well with others."

"I told him after the last time that if he drove Dick off again I'd have no problem taking his place," Hal said. "So what did he do now? If it can be fixed I'll help, but if not I'm taking Dick out of here."

"He loved Master Dick too much," Alfred said simply.

"That fucking idiot tried to get him to give up Robin didn't he?" Hal snarled after he figured out what Alfred was hinting at. "How can you think he really loves Dick if he can't even understand how import being Robin is to him?"

Alfred remained calm during Hal’s rant. "As I said, Master Bruce has the emotional maturity of a rock. This is the only remotely successful relationship he’s had, and, yes, he did try to make Master Dick give up Robin. The operative word there is try."

"Aside from this has he been happy?" Hal asked quietly, not having to specify whom he was talking about.

"Deliriously so," Alfred admitted. "Master Dick just has to mature a little more and learn to manage Master Bruce properly. He’s still rather… insecure."

"If he's happy then I'll talk to them, but I'm warning you. If Bruce won't see reason I won't hesitate to take Dick out of here. Where are they?"

"You’re acting as if Master Dick would go with you," Alfred pointed out. "They’re in the game room."

Hal didn't answer Alfred's challenge about Dick. Instead he stalked off in the direction Alfred had pointed out. What did Alfred know anyway? Last time Dick and Bruce had really fought he'd been ready to leave with Hal.

Hal found Dick in the game room watching television and Bruce watching Dick from across the room. Even when they were at home, Bruce Wayne loomed over Dick.

"Hey, what are you doing here, Hal? Is everything okay?" Dick asked as soon as he saw who'd entered the room. He flicked the remote and turned off the TV before he got up.

"Yes, what are you doing here, Mr. Jordan?" Bruce repeated the question from the shadows. He was scowling at Hal, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Alfred seemed to think I needed to visit," Hal said with a matching scowl for Bruce. "You want to go for a walk Dick?" He dismissed Bruce with a flick of his eyes and focused on Dick. He wasn't going to do anything to help Bruce until he was sure it was for the best.

"Sure, we could go for a walk," Dick replied. He was somewhat agreeing just to piss off Bruce.

"Don't make me have to hunt you down, Jordan," Bruce snarled as he shoved his way past Hal and out of the room.

Dick was happy to see the jealous flare in Bruce, even though he knew he shouldn't encourage it. "Let’s go. If you don’t mind doom and gloom, you’ll love the Wayne Manor grounds."

"So," Hal asked after they were outside. "You want to tell me what's going on that got Alfred so worried he called me in?"

"Alfred called you?" Dick moaned under his breath.

"I know some of what's going on. He tried to make you give up Robin, but what else did he do. You two looked like you'd had more then a simple fight."

"You know Bruce is crazy, right?" Dick muttered. "He’s fucking crazy."

"Tell me what happened," Hal said. He bit off the answer he wanted to give regarding Bruce's sanity.

"He’s trying to make me into some sort of fucking housewife," Dick spat.

"I figured that out already. What caused it? Has it been going on for a while or is it something new?" Hal asked.

"Well, he’s always been an over protective bastard," Dick grumbled, now strolling in the back acres of the Wayne estate. "But it all got triggered when I got injured, I suppose."

"So before this injury things were okay, I mean you two were getting along?"

"Well yeah, but he wasn’t taking care of himself. He forgets to sleep and eat if I don’t remind him. But he was starting to expressive himself better. He says ‘me too’ now… then, when I tell him I love him," Dick said that with a small smile on his face.

Hal wanted to start blowing things up. They were obviously in love and the bastard was probably even good for Dick. He'd caught the soft look in Dick's eyes as he talked about Bruce, and he wasn't going to ruin things for him. "So he's an idiot, but he's doing it because he's scared of losing you. I suppose I could talk to him and try to explain how important Robin is to who you are."

"I don’t know Hal," Dick answered uncertainly. "Bruce doesn’t like you very much."

"Yeah well, the reason he doesn't like me much is the reason he'll listen to me," Hal said without going into more detail. "I'll go hunt him down while you go let Alfred know you're okay. Bruce is probably in the training room beating things up right?"

"Probably," Dick agreed, again with a smile. The image of Bruce working out with that scowl on his face always made him smile. "He has a bit of a temper."

Hal reached out and snagged Dick's arm, pulling him into a brief hug before pushing him toward the house. He was going to do the noble thing here, but he deserved at least a hug for fixing things here. "Go on now, and ignore any yelling," he said as he activated his ring and slid into the earth toward the Batcave.

When Hal found Bruce he was indeed beating the shit out a punching bag. He had to admit that Bruce was an attractive man, especially seeing him in those low riding sweat pants. Hal also realized that Dick’s life and destiny were completely intertwined with this man.

"Have fun talking to Dick?" Bruce asked without looking over at Hal. "Didn't take you long to show up here to ride to his rescue did it?"

"I was called here," Hal pointed out. He looked at the green punching bag and arched his eyebrow. "I didn’t know they made punching bags to match my uniform."

"Is it the same colour? I didn't notice," Bruce said as he landed a few particularly brutal punches. "So, are you here to threaten to take Dick away again? You should be happy I'm keeping him safe you know."

"Safe perhaps, but what about happy?"

"I'm just protecting him. I'd rather have him upset with me for a while then dead. He's just doing this because he's used to it. He doesn't have to do it like I do." Bruce finally stopped punching and started unwrapping the tape from his hands. "Tell me whatever it is you think you have to say and get out of here."

"Alright, Dick loves you, you piece of shit," Hal growled. "As much as I don’t understand it, he loves you."

"I know that and I don't want him to get hurt because of me," Bruce growled back.

"As much as you may not want to believe this, Dick is his own man. He stays with you because he loves you, not because he needs protecting. He would put himself in danger regardless of whether or not he was with you. He has the same calling to save people that we both share."

"No!" Bruce whirled back to face the punching bag. "I saw his family die because of Batman. I don't want Dick to die because of him, too."

"Then put Batman to rest," Hal reasoned. "Choose Dick over the Bat."

"He's not something I can put away. I am Batman. You should know that," Bruce answered quietly.

"I do," Hal nodded his head moving a little closer to Bruce. Bruce really was a thick son of a bitch, but Hal was starting to understand how much Bruce loved Dick. "So does Dick. But do you understand the same thing applies to your lover?"

Bruce gave a bitter laugh. "I can see even sending him with you wouldn't keep him safe would it. You'd just let him go out and keep putting himself in danger."

"Yes, it’s what we do," Hal answered simply. "It’s what we are. Would you really love him if he was some simpering desk jockey?"

"You don't understand," Bruce said bitterly. "How could you understand? With that ring you're actually safe out there. You're not going to fall to your death if your partner screws up." He hit the bags a few more times. "So are you here to try to convince Dick to go with you?"

"No. He loves you," Hal told Bruce. "I’m jealous of what you have with him. Do you think it’s a coincidence that most superheroes work alone? We’re hard, if not impossible to live with."

"If he stays with me I'll get him killed," Bruce yelled back. "I don't want him to die and leave me."

"So you'll settle with pushing him away and spending the rest of your life alone? Bruce, he's going to be Robin even he leaves. Only difference will be that then he will be alone and he won't have your tools or your help. You want him out there alone?"

"No!" Bruce growled and punched the bag savagely again. He pulled back and realized he had split his knuckles open. He looked down and the blood seeping out of the wound and said, "Dick hates it when I do that."

"Because he hates to see you hurt as much as you hate it when he's hurt. He doesn't ask you to give it up though does he?" When he got no answer, Hal sighed in disgust as he started to walk out. "Just think about it Bruce. You're hurting him far worse then whatever injury started all this."

"He’s my whole world," Bruce answered just before Hal left the room. It wasn’t a lot of words strung together, but it said more than perhaps anything else could have.

Hal found Alfred dusting just two rooms away from the training room. "I talked to him. God only knows if he listened," he said. "If Dick leaves, tell him he's welcome to give me a call."

"I think not, Mister Jordan," Alfred said. "Master Dick belongs here with his family."

"If you weren't afraid he was going to drive Dick away you wouldn't have called me, and I'm not sure if I got through to him." While he was talking a green glow settled over Hal and he shimmered into uniform then took off, flying straight through the roof.

"Kids," Alfred tutted under his breathe and continued to dust. He truly believed that his young men would make it together. After all, some one had to take care of them when he was gone and they only had each other.

<><><><><><>

Dick had headed down to look for Bruce in the Batcave as soon as Hal had left. He knew Bruce would make his way to the cave eventually and he wanted to be working. He was pretty sure Hal would take his side, but, just in case, he wanted to be busy when Bruce showed up.

Bruce came into the Batcave a few minutes later, his knuckles taped up to stop them from bleeding. After Hal had left the room, Bruce had worked the bag over until his knuckles looked like raw hamburger. "You’re still here," he said in a monotone voice.

"And where did you think I was going?" Dick asked. He saw Bruce's hands and got up to pull him over to the medical area.

"Thought you might go with Hal," Bruce admitted, following behind Dick.

"You really think I'd leave because we had a fight? Are you hoping I'll leave, Bruce?" Dick asked as he started to bandage the bloody hands.

"No," Bruce answered sullenly. "But you said if… IF we were going to work this out the other night in bed. I’ve never thought about us as an ‘if’. I’ve always thought we would always work out."

"So did I, but you can't force me to give up Robin. I love you, even if you are an idiot sometimes, but you can't ask me to change who I am," Dick said quietly. "I don't want to leave. I'm not the one who called Hal."

"Alfred called Hal," Bruce told Dick. Dick was now leaning in close between Bruce’s legs and their heads were close. "And I am an idiot and do…" Bruce had to stop and take a deep breath. "…love you."

"So you're going to let me be Robin? I've been doing dangerous stuff since I was a kid you know. I grew up in the circus, and…" Dick voice got quiet. "I can't sit here and watch you go out by yourself every night. Robin has to be with Batman as much as I have to be with you."

"I, well you know… what I said before… all of you," Bruce answered him, a little puzzled look on his face. "I think I understand that it's not up to me if you are Robin. You are Robin, right?"

"Yeah, just as much as you are Batman," Dick said as he pulled Bruce down into his lap for a kiss.

 

END