Vision Boy and The Initiative

Series: Vision Boy (Re-write of Buffy Season 4)

Author: Shara Nesu

Feedback: Shara-Nesu@supanet.com. Something lighter than some of my other stories - like it?

Disclaimer: Joss & TV company owns them all! I'm just correcting them.

Category/Pairings: Spike/Angel, Angel/Willow

Rating: Series rating NC17 (on the safe side) This one R. Warning: M/M/& M/F sex

Distribution: Want, Have, Take.

Spoilers: What if... Events had gone the way show in Birthday (Angel Season 3.) Cordelia finds fame and fortune while Angel receives the visions when Doyle dies. In this timeline Angel decides that he is unable to cope with the visions alone and it’s time to go home to one woman he trusts - Buffy - unfortunately things don’t go to plan.

Summery: Timeline Changes: Angel Season 1: Hero - Angel receives the visions from Doyle’s kiss the same time as in Sunnydale - Episode: The Initiative - Spike is just getting captured by the Initiative. In this universe I Will Remember You will never happened. Oz has already left Willow & she has meet Tara - A friend. Basically this is a re-write of The Initiative with the new character of Angel - vision boy - hence the title.

Archived: Shara's place: http://www.shara-nesu.supanet.com/index.html

Many, many thanks to Lisa!

Upon arrival home after HERO - Angel’s POV:


Vision Boy and The Initiative
by Shara Nesu


Doyle’s dead. Gone. He sacrificed himself for me. A vampire. It should have been my death, not his. I’ve lived for so very long - over 240 years. How long did he live? Not even 30.

I don’t remember coming home, but the next thing I do is crawl into the shower. Thoughts of how unfair the fates are scream through my brain. Doyle was just a child compared to me. He should have lived. I won’t understand, not until my dying day, why he sacrificed himself. I stand under the shower and let the hot spray wash away the dirt and grime from fighting the Scourge. My hands are shaking and I cannot clean myself. I just stand there with the hot water flowing over me.

What I can’t understand - what I’ll never get my head around, not matter how much I try - is: why did he kiss me? I wasn’t attracted to him and nor him I, but there was always a deep friendship there. A friendship I’ve never experienced before - not even with Buffy. And now I never will again. My friend is dead, and his parting gift was one last kiss.

I rest my head on the white tiled shower wall and sigh. I feel too tired and weak, but thankfully the hot water slowly relaxes my body. I could almost....

*Pain... broken glass... flash of a knife... burning... girl’s face...*

What the fuck?

A blinding throb of agony rips through my brain and in seconds I’m on the floor of the shower. Blood drips on the floor mixing in with the water. I realise I’ve cut my arm from wrist to elbow on the broken shower handle.

*A bloodied knife*

Oh god, what is this? Pain burns its way through my mind again and I see more flashes of light. I think they are supposed to be pictures but I can’t make them out. I can’t see them properly. I try harder to look, but the shooting anguish only increases. I hear someone howling in torture. Their screams almost animalistic in nature. So much pain.

*Hotel room... bloodied knife... girl’s face... broken glass... bloodied knife... broken glass... girl...*

“STOP!” I scream. I can’t comprehend the images. They are too painful, too fast.

*Burned sheets... bloodied knife... broken glass... knife... girl... glass... sheets... burning...*

“No! Please... Please... stop!” I’m sobbing on the floor of the shower, the water still flowing over my quivering form. My head feels as though someone’s put a hammer through my brain, and all that’s left is a pile of mush. My hands clutch desperately at my face, ripping at my flesh, trying to stop the apparitions. My eyes burn with the aftermath of the vision as if scorched. I just can’t picture them. They were confused flashes of something I couldn’t understand. The howling returns again and I think the beast making that sound is me. It feels as though I’m becoming detached from myself... distant.

*Laughter.... broken glass...*

“No more!” I scream. Please, I can’t take anymore. I don’t understand!! I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. “I don’t understand,” I howl into my silent apartment. No one answers; there is no one here anymore. I have no friends, the last one just died. Doyle is dead and I’m alone. Doyle kissed me and now all I have left is the visions. I start to cry now, cry not for that girl I can’t save, but for myself. There is no one around to comfort me either. My tears dry up and I look down at my bloodied fingers. Ah... food. I stay in the shower all night, the water falling on my pounding head, and lick my fingers clean.

~*~*~*~

Next Morning

My flesh is shrivelled and sore. I stayed in the shower all night, desperately afraid to move in case the visions filled my mind again. Finally, I got over my ridiculous fear of moving. I slowly crawled from the shower and wrapped myself into a white towel. My next step was to find whiskey. Isn't that what Doyle used to have after the visions? I’m not sure; thinking just makes my brain hurt more. My trembling fingers won’t open the damn whiskey bottle when I find it and I throw it against the wall in a fit of temper. The broken glass shatters across the floor, brown liquid staining the wall.

*Broken church glass... screaming girls... a white habit...*

I clutch my head, squeezing my eyes tightly closed, trying to shut the visions out. My knees give out and I’m back to lying on the floor, my body convulsing. This time the vision’s aftershock of pain wares off quicker and I catch my unnecessary breath. I smell blood and I bring my hand to my face. I must have cut myself on the broken glass, and the red blood is slowly staining my pale skin.

*Screaming girls... red blood dripping from my fangs...*

With my other hand I pick up a large piece of glass next to me and with one quick movement slash my wrist. The pain burns through my arm, replacing the vision anguish lancing through my brain. Oh, thank you. Any pain is better than that. I continue to distract myself from one acute pain with another. The only trouble is the floor is getting kind of slippery, and I can’t feel my fingers anymore.

*Screaming girls...*

Then blessed unconsciousness.

~*~*~*~

When I awaken for the second time this day my body no longer throbs from the vision aftermath, but from the lack of blood. At least this is something I can deal with - it’s a pain I can understand. It takes me awhile, but I manage to crawl over to the fridge and open it. Inside is my salvation - 4 packets of pig’s blood. I really need more with the amount of blood loss I’ve suffered, but it will have to suffice until I can get out. When I’ve finished off the last of the blood, feeling a little more alive - well, un-alive - I carefully make my way into my bedroom. It takes awhile to get dressed, my body feeling I’ve gone ten rounds with Lennox Lewis.

After dressing I make my way up into the office. My office looks just the same, but when I step into the reception... It’s the same. Nothing’s been moved since Doyle and I rushed out of here the day before. A spare leather coat of Doyle’s still rests on the back of the chair. There are used glasses smelling of strong Irish whiskey, scribbled notes in well grammar-ed English, and the computer keyboard with the missing return button because he couldn’t get it to work. My hand trembles as I reach out and touch his jacket. My mind flashes back to last night, his burned face, his flesh falling away - his death. A death that should have been mine.

“No!” I shove the jacket aside, knocking over the chair and sending it flying into a pile of papers. Everything scatters across the floor...

*Broken glass*

Doesn’t it ever stop! I grab my head, ripping at my hair - anything to stop it! I can’t do this alone! I don’t understand them... I don’t... I stumble back knocking the flashing telephone off the desk. There is a clicking noise, then a voice.

“#You have one new message#... Angel? Eh... I hate this damn machine... Do I speak now, Willow?” There is a mumbled sound in the background, “Yes, well... Hello Angel, this is Giles. We’ve been having some problems here in Sunnydale... Oh, nothing to get worried about, Buffy’s fine. Just some bizarre demon activity and I was hoping you could send me that book you have on Demon migration patterns. We have demons showing up dead that should never been seen this side of the equator and... Oh, Willow says I have to fin.... #End of Message.#”

Sunnydale. There are people there that know me. Not anyone I could call friend, but people I can trust. People like Giles who might be able to help me understand what’s happening. Or Willow, maybe she could magic this away. I can’t face this by myself even though I’m afraid of going back to Sunnydale. I know Buffy won’t be happy to see me, but I need help and now.

*Bloodied fangs...*

I squeeze my eyes shut and push the image away. Whatever it means I can’t help anyone if I can’t understand what the visions are telling me. I dig around for my car keys, and then wait for the sun to set. I should pack some clothing, but I can’t get my head around doing anything. I just sit curled up at the door waiting. My head pounding with the residue of another vision I can’t comprehend. With the last ray of sunlight I move, grabbing a coat to cover my head I run out to my car and start the engine. I need help and I need it now. The engine roars into life and I press the accelerator to the floor boards. The only thought on my mind is getting to Sunnydale and ending these vague predictions.

~*~*~*~

Somewhere under Sunnydale - Initiative compound: Spike’s POV:

I don’t believe it! Someone must really hate me up there. That’s the only answer I can think of. Fate hates me. First, I lose the bloody ring of Amarra to the slayer. Next I lose it again to my bloody poof of a Sire. Then I get electrocuted by a band of wannabe soldier boys. Now, I wake up here.

The cell is white - blindingly so - with a glass door. The handle is electrified. I got my fingers burned testing it. Before the cell is a plain white corridor. There are no windows, no other entrances, nowhere to escape to and nowhere to see where the hell I am. This is all the slayer’s fault. I bet she’s behind it, and...

Suddenly, a panel in the white ceiling is opened, and a blood bag is dropped down. I grab it, giving it a testing smell. It smells human, well at least the food’s good. I start to tear it open with my teeth, but a voice stops me.

“Don't drink it. It's drugged.”

I don’t believe it! Damn it, I sound like Victor Meldew! I throw the pack aside and kick the wall with frustration. “Uh-huh. And who are you, mate?” Is he vampire, like me? Does the slayer capture vampires to play with since her lap dog vampire left her? Still, this is still a little high tech for her. She’s more of a broadsword and axe kind of gal.

“I'm a rat. I'm a lab rat, just like the others. They're gonna kill us, you know.”

“And how are they gonna do that?” Yeah, I’d like to see them try. The big bad can take any humans on. I’ll show them what a master vampire can do.

“They starve you, and when your ready to bite your own arm, they shoot out one of those packets. You drink, and the next thing, you're gone. And that's when they do the experiments.”

“And, uh, they are? The government? Nazis? A major cosmetics company?”

“Who cares? All I know is, one minute I’m running from the slayer, and the next thing I’m here.”

“The slayer! I knew it! I knew it!” I knew the Slayer had to have her claws into this!

“Yeah, she took apart my crew, and led me straight to these guys.”

“She set me up, too. I always worried what would happen when that bitch got some funding,” I howl, slamming my hands into the wall. I can’t believe she would stoop this low. What happened to a clean fight, one on one kind of thing? Where’s her honour gone? “She's wised up a bit. Fine! I'll take her apart. I don't care how brilliant she is!”

Suddenly, there’s a whole lot of noise from down the corridor. I press my face to the glass door, trying to peer around it. Damn it! I can’t see a bloody thing. Whatever is happening. there is a hell of a lot of screaming going on. From the sound of it the captive is vampire. He’s growling, whining and then howls in pure agony, almost loud enough to hurt my ears.

“Strap him down!” yells one of the humans - female from the sound.

“Damn well, sedate him then!” Another shouts - a man this time.

“I have!”

The vampire continues howling, and I can hear him fighting his captors. If he makes it out then I’ll have my escape route.

“Pain... Glass... Blood... Noooo!” howls the vampire.

Oh god, no! It can’t be... No way! That sounds like my bloody poof of a Sire - Angel. The sounds of fighting continue and the vampire - Angel? - starts to sob. I can hear punches impacting on hard vampire flesh and screams of pain while the woman yells for the vampire to be held down. This is unbelievable. That can’t be my Sire. Angel would never let himself be captured. Anyway he’s one of the good guys... Still, what if the slayer as nothing to do with this place. Where the hell am I?

The sound of fighting lessen and the trolley is dragged down the hall. I jump away from the glass door, and sit on the floor, trying to look uninterested as they pass. There are 4 men in uniform and a short blond woman with a syringe in her hand. They are still struggling with the writhing vampire on the trolley. They have managed to strap his legs down but he continues to fight them off with his hands. To my surprise and extreme interest they stop just outside my door. The vampire fights the woman back with a violent push, and she falls against my door.

“Hold him!” she screams at the soldiers. One of them, a tall man with dirty blond hair, uses the butt of his gun and impacts into the side of the vampire’s face. The vampire screams in pain as his skull splits, splattering blood on my door. His struggles weaken and the men strap him firmly down onto the trolley. The blond woman stabs him hard in the neck with her syringe and the crying ceases. The soldiers finally step away from the restrained vampire.

“Angel...” I murmur. I can’t get over the shock. That screaming, howling vampire is my Sire. I don’t make another sound, I don’t want these humans to realise I know him. Instead, I listen carefully to their words.

“Agent Finn, were was this hostile found?” The woman with the blond hair leans over Angel and flashes a light into his golden eyes. “Hmm... Unresponsive,” she murmurs to herself.

“There was an accident just outside of town; one of our patrols picked him up.”

“He’d caused a traffic accident?” She questions.

“No, he was driving a black Plymouth convertible, no one else was involved. It looked like he had just driven into a tree. When the unit found him, he was incoherent and writhing on the ground in agony.”

“Pain?” The woman studies Angel’s face again, with a sudden movement she stabs the needle into his cheek. Angel doesn’t even flinch. “He doesn’t show signs of feeling pain,” she comments coldly to the soldier.

“I was told he was screaming about some woman in a hotel room, a bloodied knife and broken glass.”

“Do you know what it means?” she asks.

“No, he doesn’t respond to any questions.”

Angel suddenly murmurs on the trolley, his body convulsing. “Pain... blood... knife... girl...” he whimpers softly.

“I was told he’s been having fits like this one since they picked him up.”

“Interesting...” the woman opens Angel’s golden eye again and stares at him. He shows no response to even knowing she’s touching him. “It could be some sort of seizure. Epilepsy maybe.”

“What do you want to do with him?” asks the blond soldier Finn.

“Leave him here for the time being. When one of the laboratories is free, transfer him there. This one needs to be carefully studied.” The woman gives Angel an appraising look and for some reason her attitude makes me shiver.

“Yes, Professor Walsh.”

The professor leaves and Finn turns to one of his men. “Strip the hostile down, then check if one of the labs is free,” he orders. The rest depart, leaving just the one soldier. I don’t move from my sitting position, showing no sign of my desperate need to have a closer look at Angel. I haven’t got a clue to what’s happened to him. He’s never done anything like this in all the time I’ve known him. Angel, or Angelus for that matter, never had seizures.

I watch as the solider cuts away Angel’s clothing, leaving him in his shorts. He checks over the restraints, pulling them tight before he leaves. At last I can move. Slowly I edge over the glass door, checking there’s no one around.

“Angel?” I whisper. I don’t know if he can hear me, maybe it was all a show for the humans. If it was then it’s a pretty stupid idea. I wait a moment and there is no response from Angel. “What the hell are you doing in Sunnydale?” I ask his unresponsive form.

I check out his body. Angelus has always been a handsome man. Bastard used to have women throwing themselves at his feet. Now, he looks ill. Which is almost impossible for a vampire. He reminds me of Drusilla. In Prague they cut her to shreds; it was amazing she survived - that’s how Angel looks now. His body is pale, thin, and there are half-healed scars on his arms and wrists. It looks as though someone’s slashed his arms over and over again. There is a large healing gash running from elbow to wrist on the arm nearest me, and the head wound from the Solder’s gun isn’t healing as quick as it should. The smell of his strong blood is making my mouth water. I also notice that every now and then Angel’s body convulses as if in shock.

Down the corridor the sound of a door slamming shut brings me out of my contemplations, and I step back away from Angel. The soldier returns, this time with another older man dressed as a doctor. He looks Angel over and checks his eyes again.

“Hmm... Heavily sedated. Was he violent?” he asks the soldier.

“No, he was having some sort of seizure. Professor Walsh wants a full examination.”

“Hmm... He’ll need to go to lab 12. I’ll need special equipment to see what’s going on inside here.” The doctor taps Angel on the forehead and laughs. Together they pull the gurney down the corridor and out of my sight.

I sit quietly for a long time. I haven’t decided yet how I feel about all this. For some reason the thought of those humans cutting into my Sire’s head enrages me. I really don’t understand why - I hate him. I’ve tried to kill him on more than one occasion, I’ve even had him tortured. So why should this bother me? They’ll study and then kill him, and I won’t care. No, I won’t even shed a tear for him or his passing. No! Now, I have to think about my own survival. I have to escape this hellhole before they take me away on one of those trolleys.

~*~*~*~

Two days later and the only idea I have to escape is to play dead. It’s simple and I just hope these soldier types are going to fall for it. The vampire next door said that you drink the blood and fall unconscious, and then they take you away. Well, that’s how I’m going to play it. I empty out the blood in the packet and lie down on the floor. I have no idea how long this will take, so I’ll just have to try not to move until someone comes.

Finally four hours later, two men in medical clothing arrive at my door. I play dead - which is very easy considering I am dead - and don’t make a move as they open the door. I don’t listen to their chatter, playing possum until both of them start to lift me up onto a gurney. As they begin to strap me in, I make my move. My eyes flick open and I grab the nearest guy by the throat.

“Sorry, can't stay. Got to go see a girl,” I tell him. I grab him by the arm and flip him over the gurney. He crashes onto the floor with a loud grunt. The second orderly is better prepared and manages to grab my arm and slam me into the opposite wall. He’s strong for a human, but not strong enough to hurt me. Next to me the other vampire starts shouting.

“Let me out!” he yells, banging against the glass door.

“Bit busy right now,” I answer back

“Look, I know where the exit is. You spring me, you're free. You don't, you're dead.”

Ah... he has a point. I throw the second orderly off me and into the first who scrambles off the floor, and pulls out a large syringe from his pocket. I cringe as the second man backs onto the wickedly sharp end. That’s one out for the count. The first orderly looks up alarmed while I vamp out, and I slam his head into the wall, and he‘s collapses before me.

“Hurry! Hurry!” screams the young vampire. Impatient and stupid from the sounds of it. I run over to the drugged orderly sprawled out on the gurney. Quickly checking his pockets, I find a security card, and swipe the door handle. Yes! I use it to free the vampire and he grabs my arm, pulling me down the corridor.

“This way!” We run down the corridor, and dive under the closing security door at the end. In the next room is an elevator and another security door leading to a corridor with large numbered doors. For the first time I pause. Are those the labs where Angel was taken? No... I’ve got to remember that I don’t care about him. He’s not a part of me anymore. Not my Sire, not my Yoda, and certainly not my lover... Oh, shit why did I have to remember that part? Damn it!

“Come on!” screams the vampire. Suddenly, behind me I hear the elevator start to hum. I’ve got to make a quick decision - Angel or elevator?

“Bugger!” I cry. I run towards the lab doors and swipe the card.

“What are you doing?”

“New plan! We split up.” I quickly dash through the opened door and slam it shut. It’s a damn good job I did choose this route. Upon checking through the door’s window, I see that the elevator has opened and inside it’s full of ops guys. They grab their guns and shoot the other vampire down. Sucker! While they are dealing with him, I turn my attention back to the laboratory doors. On each door is a number starting with a three - Great! Oh well, I just have to hope that 312 is going to be Angel’s room. I locate the door, but unfortunately it doesn’t have a window so I can’t check if anyone is inside. I just have to chance it.

Carefully, I open the door and peek around it. Inside, I notice the doctor on a stool looking over my Sire’s head. He is far too engrossed in his work to notice me, and I quietly enter. My face immediately morphs into vampire features when I walk towards my Sire. Even as a demon the sight of him makes me queasy. They have started their tests. There are tubes and needles injected all over his body. Pieces of skin are missing on his arms and legs. It looks like they’ve even taken a sample of semen.

“I haven’t finished the samples yet,” the doctor informs me, “wait a moment, and I’ll have the brain tissue sample ready.”

He must believe I’m one of the lab technicians. I approach him slowly and notice he has a long scalpel in his hand, making an incision into my Sire’s forehead. In his other hand he holds a drill piece. What shocks me more than anything - is that Angel is conscious. Large golden eyes stare terrified at the ceiling, tears running over his cheeks. Well, I just snap. I grab the doctor around the head and twist.

“Arghh!” I scream as a shockwave of pain rockets through my brain. I don’t loosen my grip, and I hear the satisfying snap as his neck breaks. When I finally let him fall, the pain in my head lessens. What the hell was that? Testing it, I kick the dead human - nothing - weird.

“Angel?” I whisper, turning my attention back to my Sire. I pick up a cloth beside his head and wipe the blood from his face. A part of me wishes I had gotten here sooner, before they started the tests. His body is a testimony of human cruelty. “Angel!” I repeat louder.

“Blood... glass...” he moans. His eyes move suddenly and find mine. For a moment they are unseeing and then... “No!!! Pain... I don’t know... please, I don’t have it... Hurts... Please, I don’t have the ring!”

Huh? Angel tries to scramble away from me, but he can’t escape the bonds. So instead he starts to cry. Huge sobs rack his body and he trembles violently on trolley.

“Please, I can’t... I can’t give it you... I would, but you can’t use it right... Please, forgive me... my beloved Will.”

“What?” I gasp.

“I can’t...” he moans again. His eyes close and his body tenses as if awaiting the next blow.

I think he believes he’s back in that warehouse, where I took him to be tortured by that pillock, Marcus. I couldn’t do it myself. I couldn’t bring myself to mark his body, a body that had been my Sire and my lover‘s. A deep part of my heart feels suddenly guilty, but it’s pushed aside when I remember his words. *My beloved Will* Yeah right, if I was so bloody beloved why the hell did ya leave me? Bastard! I turn away from him, resolute to leave him to his fate.

Oh god, they’ve branded a number on his leg - 312. It’s like he’s a piece of meat to them. Bloody hell, what the hell do I do now? Leave him or take him? Let him suffer as I want him to or show mercy like Angelus never showed me... Oh, shit!!

“Damn it! I hate you, Angel, so why the hell am I saving you?” I shout at him as I unbuckle his restraints. I yank out tubes and needles, cringing with every scream he makes. I pull him up, his body slippery from blood, and he stands up unsteadily. Great, now I need clothing. Lugging him around nearly naked is sure to bring attention. I wrap my arm under his, and guide him to the door. He limps painfully, but makes no sound. His eyes are open, but I don’t think he really understands what’s happening.

I open the lab door, and check the corridor, thankfully I find no one around. I pull Angel out of the lab, hobbling behind me. Down the corridor there is a door labelled - Doctor’s restroom. Ha... Clothing. Dragging Angel in behind me, I quickly find an open locker and grab some scrubs. I pull them onto his injured body, staining the blue material red.

“Are you real?” he whispers suddenly. His face has returned to its human plans and brown tearful eyes look into mine.

“Yeah, of course I am,” I answer briskly. The fear in Angel’s voice jerks something alive within my dead demon heart. It starts a need that throbs deep inside me. A need that I don’t understand and grows with each moment I’m near him.

“Spike, wouldn’t help me... you are just another vision,” he sighs sadly.

“Hey! I’m bloody real mate! If I weren’t - would you really dream about me helping you?”

Angel looks confused and then something flashes across his eyes. Soft bloodied fingers touch my cheek, and then fall away. “You are real,” he answers in awe.

“Fine, I’m real. Now, can we get the fuck out of here before both of us are dust - then neither of us will be real.”

Suddenly, there is shouting down the corridor and I pull Angel away from the door. Shit! I grab a chair and shove it in front of the door, forcing it shut. Now what? I spin around looking for another escape route.

“Err... Spike?”

“What!?” I shout back. I really don’t have time for more stupid questions. I turn and stare at Angel, noticing he’s pointing upwards. I look up and see a huge air conditioner duct.

“Yes!” I shout. Without realising it I grab Angel into a quick hug, but then just as quickly disengage myself. What the hell am I doing? Angel stares at me with wide startled eyes and a bemused smile on his lips.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Damn well help me.” I indicate for him to give me a lift up, and he does. I notice he’s not as strong as he should be, but I manage to grab a supporting cable. I haul myself up and give a hand down to Angel. For a moment, he hesitates and I know what’s going through his head. He’s wondering if he should trust me, the only problem is I’m his only choice. He gives a deep sigh and catches my hand.

Half an hour later, we climb our way through the air conditioning system and follow it up until we reach an outside vent. Guessing from the smell and feel of the facility, we must be underground, which hopefully means this vent should lead us to the surface. With our combined strength, we manage to push the vent open. I’m greatly relieved to find myself outside in the open air.

“Yes!” I shout, jumping up and giving a little victory dance. I look over at Angel and notice he’s giving me another bemused smile. That smile immediately tugs at my heartstrings, and I find myself smiling back at him. Damn it, I’m turning into a bloody poof. I’ve had enough of this!

“Well then, mate, this is where we part company. It was nice and all, but I really have to go back to hating you.” I straighten my jacket, search out a new fag and start walking away from him.

“Thank you, Spike,” he calls after me.

I walk away into the night without looking back... Okay, I sneak one quick look. He’s still at the open vent, cleaning the grass from his stolen clothing. I snigger softly, still so damn... What the?

“Arghhh!” Angel screams. In seconds, he collapses onto the damp grass, his body convulsing in agony.

“No!” he hollers again. His hands claw at his hair and eyes. “No more... Please... no more!”

For a moment, I don’t move. Should I help him? I mean I don’t even like him, but... I feel something. When I’m around him, I feel... What? Warm? Hot? Horny? Damn it. I drop my unlit fag and run back towards my Sire.

“No! No!” he’s yelling over and over. His hands ripping at the flesh of his face. There are large gorges over his eyes which are bleeding profusely.

“Have you lost your fucking mind!” I scream at Angel, grabbing hold of his clawed fingers. He still continues to try and claw his eyeballs out. His eyes are bloodshot, and his face covered with his own blood.

“No!” he howls, “Girl... running... trees... fangs...”

What the hell is going on? Angel starts to convulse in my arms, his mouth frothing slightly. “Running... trees... fangs... blue car... running... NO!” Angel’s body arches, and I hear bones grinding until he finally collapses unconscious.

He’s finally done it. He has gone bloody nuts. Insane - wacko - barmy. You name - he’s it. I realise now that a lot of his injures must have been self-inflicted, but only recently. These injuries are no more than a couple of days old, and not all caused by those Nazi doctors. They must have feed him, so the injuries were deep, and it amazes me that he could cause himself so much agony. Why? What the hell is his damage? Damn it. Things are going from bad to worse. I told ya, someone has to hate me. First Dru, next the ring, then those fucking soldiers boys capture me, now I have an insane Sire to deal with.

“Why me?!” I scream out into the night.

Suddenly, behind me I hear a noise. It sounds like someone running. Huh? I leave Angel lying on the ground and venture out. The sound is coming from just beyond a group of trees. I run through them, and I find myself standing before the main building of Sunnydale College. So this solider base is right under where the Slayer goes to school - what a surprise! Out of the blue, a young man runs the corner, and slams directly into my chest.

“Save me!” he begs. He looks back panicked, and gives a sharp yelp when he sees a tall blond woman running towards us. Harmony? The boy jumps up, runs away from me and towards the parked cars. Harmony doesn’t stop, but continues after the boy, fangs dripping. Now this feels familiar, but I can’t understand why.

I watch as the boy rummages for something in his coat pocket and pulls out a set of keys. He runs towards a small blue car. Bloody hell! What was it that Angel said? Girl, blue car, running and fangs. That’s exactly what I’m seeing here. The boy doesn’t make it to the car, and Harmony brings him down by landing on his back. His yells are cut off as she drains him of blood.

“Spike? What are you doing back here?” She asks when she’s finished draining the boy.

“Hey, is that any way to talk to your lover?” I laugh.

“I can’t believe your,” she slaps my face hard, “Back! You bastard!” she screams.

I guess she’s not forgiven me yet, about that little misunderstanding we had... What am I saying? There was no misunderstanding, I just couldn’t stand her anymore.

“No!” A voice screams behind her. With one sudden flash, a stake is driven hard into Harmony’s back and she bursts into dust. Behind her stands the dishevelled Angel. His bloodshot eyes stare right though me and then he notices the boy. For the second time ever I witness Angel start to cry. He collapses onto his knees and stares at the dead boy.

“I didn’t understand...” he mumbles, “It hurt too much... I couldn’t see...” He buries his head into his knees and starts to weep.

I kneel down beside him and touch his flat hair. “Angel, what do you mean you couldn’t see?”

“It hurts... It hurts...” he cries. Suddenly, he looks up into my face. “I tried to save you. I was too late... I’m so sorry... so sorry.” His cool hand touches my cheek and he leans forward. For a moment, I think he’s going to kiss me, but at the last second he draws away. His face shocked and pale.

“Bloody hell, you had a vision!” I cry. My voice upsets Angel, and he curls himself into a ball again. “That demon chap you worked with... what’s his name... Damen, Ducus, Do..”

“Doyle,” Angel whispers in reply, “he kissed me, then he took my death.”

“Huh?” He kissed Angel! A sudden wave of jealously passes though me and I grab his arms. “You kissed him...” Whoa! What am I doing? I don’t care who the hell Angel kisses. I haven’t in a long, long time. Not even when he was Angelus when he used to do it make me envious. However, through my shell-shocked brain I work it out. Doyle died and somehow Angel received the visions. Unfortunately, they seam to be sending him a little insane.

“William, men are coming,” Angel suddenly shouts, his face screwed up with what I think is another vision. “Quickly, get Drusilla and we’ll run to the mines!”

“Angel!” I grab his arms and shake him. “I’m real; you remember that, yes?” Angel gives attentive nod. “Drusilla is gone, we’re not in Yorkshire anymore, this is Sunnydale, right?”

“William,” Angel answers in a panicked voice, “men coming, burning lights!”

“Bloody hell, you’re worse than Drusilla! We aren’t... Oh shit!” I stand up shouting at Angel, when I suddenly notice a group of spotlights jumping around in the darkness. Men with lights - bloody soldiers, with guns and torches more like!

I grasp Angel’s arm and drag him to his feet. He moans in pain, his hands clutching his head. “What else do you see!” I growl desperately.

“Burning... red... burning girl... red...”

What the hell does that mean? I pull Angel behind me and we set off running towards a 3 storey dormitory building. Now this looks familiar - doesn’t the slayer and her friends live here? That’s it! Red girl - Willow! That’s what Angel sees in his vision. The only question is will she help us or betray us? Or maybe we should kill her, or... I grab the door and swing it open. Behind me Angel holds on desperately to my jacket as I drag him along. We run down the hall, when I suddenly come to a screeching halt. On the wall is a list of student names, I grab it and quickly scroll down the names....

“Come on... come one... Yes, Willow!” I shout. “Hello, gorgeous!” I grab Angel’s arm again and drag him up the stairs.

~*~*~*~

Willow’s POV:

I can’t believe it. My life officially sucks. Oz leaves me, my friends ignore me when I need them most, then I go to a party and what do they play? Oz’s music! I can’t escape it! The fates must hate me. That’s why I’m here now in my shared dorm room listening to depressing music. I should have stayed at the party with Buffy, but that boy Riley never left me alone. Goddess, if he wants to get inside her pants so bad, why doesn’t he just say it! I fall onto the bed and thump it hard. Ow!

Suddenly there is a knock at the door. I sigh, I bet it’s Riley or maybe Buffy has forgotten her keys again. “Come in.” I turn around and... No!

“Spike! Wh-what do you want? Uh, a spell? I can do that.” Just great! I’m babbling to a vampire that I’ve just invited in, and who’s going to kill me. Very clever, Willow! My life just gets worse! I do the only thing I can think of - run! I push past him, and towards the door. Instead of running out of the door, I run into something large and hard. The force sends me flying back, and Spike grabs my arm. He grunts with a sudden pain, and shoves me back.

“What the hell!” we both yell in unison.

Spike rubs his head and slams the door shut. My eyes drift down and I see the large barrier I ran into. Well, not a barrier - a man - Angel. He’s dressed in doctor’s scrubs that are bloodstained, and dirty. He’s covered in lacerations and bruises. His face is a mass of gorges that look like nail marks. Spike reaches over to him as Angel curls into a tighter ball on the floor.

“You did this!” I scream at him. I dive on top of the blond vampire, and he attempts to push me off.

“Hey!” he yells as I pull his hair. “What are you fucking doing!”

I slam his head against the wall with strength I didn’t know I had. “What have you done to him? You bastard!” I scream.

“OW!” he yelps as he tries to grab me. His hands clutch his head, and he moans in pain.

“Hey, I hardly touched you!”

“Men... burning... hurts...” Angel moans from the floor. Bloodshot eyes find mine and I approach him slowly.

“Angel, it’s okay now, Spike is going!” I give Spike a glare and he stares back.

“Men... golden hair... coming... coming...” he sobs.

Spike jumps up and strides towards Angel, who’s whimpering softly. I might not know Angel well, but I won’t let Spike hurt him. Angel has saved my life many times before, the least I can do is return the favour. I jump on Spike’s back and try to pull him away from Angel. Spike grabs my hands and swings me around. Suddenly, we both collapse to the floor as he howls, protecting his head again. I slap him hard.

“That’s it,” he yells. He grabs my arm, pulling me forward, and with a loud grunt of pain tries to bite me. “OW!” he howlers and falls back again, clutching his head.

“What the hell is happening!” Spike screams. He clutches at his forehead, moaning softly. “I mean this has never happened before!”

“Good,” I yell. I don’t want to be bit.

“I’ll starve! Angel will starve. I can’t help! I can’t help myself!” Spike starts to moan and complain incoherently now. I can’t make out everything thing he says, but he’s truly upset. Then Angel starts to moan in distress. His reactions seem to be connected to Spike.

Why is around one around me miserable? Doesn’t anyone see I’m hurting too! I shudder, with surprise at my self-misery. I turn to Spike and notice that he looks totally dejected. His head in his heads, and muttering to himself. It’s strange, but... I feel so sorry for him. Even Angel is quite, staring at his distressed Childe.

“Maybe you were nervous.” What am I saying? I just can’t help it. Here I am standing watching Spike, the big bad, a vampire who tried to kill me on several occasions, and I feel sorry for him. “You were looking for Buffy weren’t you, get yourself all worked up, but then you just find me. Useless, undeserving little Willow! I‘m not even good enough to be vampire bait!”

“Huh?” he turns and stares at me.

I feel even more depressed. Not even big bad vampires want me. No one does. “It's me, isn't it?” I whisper suddenly. There is something seriously wrong with me. No one wants me. Even Angel must have come here looking for Buffy.

“What are you talking about?” Spike grumbles back.

“I know I'm not the kind of girl vamps like to sink their teeth into. It's always like, `ooh, you're like a sister to me,’ or, `oh, you're such a good friend.’ I start to weep softly. Goddess, I feel such a failure.

“Don't be ridiculous. I'd bite you in a heartbeat.”

“Really?”

“Burning... red... girl... Burning girl...”

“See even Angel wants you,” Spike laughs.

“What?” Oh goddess, Angel! I forgot all about him in my self-indulgent misery. “What did you do to him Spike!” I scream.

“Nothing! It was those bloody solider boys. They tortured him, and...”

“Commando guys, in green suits and guns?” I interrupt. I just knew they were bad news.

“Yeah,” Spike answers cautiously.

“Buffy ran into them a while back. We’ve been looking...”

“No... Not Buffy!” shouts Angel from the door. He trembles and claws his face again as if trying to fight something off. Spike approaches him, but I push him out of the way. I kneel down before Angel, pulling his hands away from his face.

“Shhh, it’s okay, Angel, you’re safe,” I comfort him. He seems so scared. I’ll kill those commandos for what they did to him. His beautiful face is all bloodied and he’s so pale and gaunt. I touch his cheek gently, and he leans into my touch. Suddenly, however, his whole body stiffens and convulses in pain.

“Angel!” I cry, trying to soothe him. I turn to Spike, “what did you do to him?!”

“He’s having a bloody vision,” Spike yells back. He drags Angel from my arms and crushes him to his own chest. His hands gently stroking Angel’s face as he holds him tight as his body convulses.

“It’s okay, Sire... I have you...”

I watch amazed as Spike continues to pet Angel gently, while talking softly into his ear. Spike’s calm voice seems to relax Angel and the tremors are less violent. Angel clings to Spike desperately, his wide eyes searching vainly as the vision takes hold.

“Tell me what you see, luv,” Spike murmurs softly into Angel’s ear.

“Men... coming... burning... it hurts! Will, it hurts!” Angel weeps, “it hurts... it hurts...”

I start to cry too. I can’t help it. All this time I’ve been so lost in my own pain, I ignored everyone else's. Well, I won’t ignore Angel’s. I creep forward and gently touch his face. Angel sobs with his eyes squeezed shut and the aftershocks of the vision are still passing through his muscles making him quiver under my fingers.

“What do you mean, visions?” I whisper to Spike. He gives me a dirty look, and I know he doesn’t trust me. However, when Angel gives another violent tremor, he answers.

“Look, a couple of weeks ago, I went to LA to get the ring from Angel. I meet this half demon called Doyle; he was Angel’s messenger from the powers. He had visions of people in trouble.”

“Like a seer, and Angel helped them,” I interpreted.

“I’ve just said that,” Spike rolls his eyes and continues, “anyhow, this geezer died and somehow the visions passed to Angel. The thing is I don’t think he can understand them. He had a vision about Harmony in the park, and then he started going on about the time we were in Yorkshire and had to hide in an old mine while running from a local mob.”

“Oh, Angel,” I whisper. I stroke his damp forehead, my fingers touching a recent hole in his skin. “Who hurt him then?”

Spike sighs and reluctantly tells me, “I came back to Sunnydale, got captured by these commandos, they have lots of vampires and demons imprisoned. I believe Angel crashed his car, and they found him and brought him there. They were interested in him because he must have had a vision when they picked him in. They sent him to be examined. I found him in this lab; some doctor had already started cutting him up.”

“Angel,” I whimper, kissing his forehead. I would never wish his misfortune on anyone. All three of us have been on the cutting edge of misfortune lately. Spike and his inability to bite, me and Oz, and now Angel and his visions. We are three of a kind. Maybe that’s why I feel such empathy with him and Angel. Why I can trust a vampire, who messed up my life and then moments ago looked to be hurting Angel. It’s like deep down - in my soul maybe - I can feel he’s sincere. I can sense that there is no deception in Spike, and that he’s scared for himself and for Angel.

“Willow,” Angel suddenly mumbles. His eyes are open again and he’s looking into my face. I think he recognises me. “Are you real?” he asks softly.

“Yes, I am. It’s Willow,”

“William?” he says, reaching out to touch Spike’s cheek. I swear for just a moment there was something like love in Spike’ eyes.

“I’m real too, Sire,” Spike answers softly. I’ve never heard him speak like that. He sounds almost human. “What did you see, Angel?”

“I don’t understand...” he starts to weep again.

“Angel, tell Spike and me, and maybe we can.” I grasp his hand and he looks hopeful a moment.

“Men with lights... pain... gun... Willow! Buffy... run... betrayal... hurts...” he whimpers. I can see him trying so hard to concentrate, but the pain burns him. “William, the pit, run to the pit... I’m so sorry... I never meant to be angry... I couldn’t lose you...”

“I’m here, Sire. We made it.” Spike continues to stroke Angel’s face and I realise that was something old and private between them. From the looks of it, it was an event that hurt Spike so much. His jaw jumps as he tries to contain his anger.

“Coming... Coming!!!”

“Angel, you’re safe here...”

“No, Spike! I think he means they are coming, now!”

“Oh, shit! How the hell are they tracking me?”

“Flashing light... Burning bright... The rabbit finds the fox.”

A tracking device! Damn it. These commandos are good, but I’m better. “Spike, you have to run.”

“What! I won’t leave Angel!”

“You have to! I think what Angel is trying to tell us is that they have some sort of tracking device on you. Angel was kept to be experimented upon, so I doubt it they gave him one. I might be wrong, but we can’t risk it. I’ll hide Angel from them and Buffy.”

“The slayer and the commandos? I can just see them hitting it off,” Spike laughs.

“He was afraid of seeing Buffy; therefore it’s best we don’t. You run and I’ll take Angel to my house, my parents are out of town.”

“Hey, how do I know you aren’t working for them?”

“Angel, sent you here with a vision, didn’t he,” I state. I realise now that’s why Angel brought them here.

“Fine!” Spike answer back. He climbs out of the window and balances on the ledge. “You promise you’ll protect Angel!”

“I promise!”

With that Spike jumps down and vanishes from sight. I run to the window and I spot his quickly moving form cutting through the trees. There are shouts down the corridor, so I grab Angel and tug him to his feet. Suddenly, all the lights go out and we are plunged into darkness.

“There’s a cold spot down here!” a man shouts. I’m guessing that the Commando‘s are back again. I drag Angel out of the dorm and across the corridor to the girl’s bathroom. I’ve just had an idea and I pray it’s going to work. We run into the bathroom, Angel limping painfully along, and I drag him into the shower. I turn on the spray and the hot water cascades down onto both of us. I hold Angel close, rubbing the hot water into his skin, hoping this is going to work.

“Where is it?” shouts another man.

I don’t hear the answer, but I think my plan is working. Angel feels warmer, but I continue to rub him, making sure they can’t find him. I hear the sounds of fighting and then nothing. I think they’re gone, but I’m terrified to move. I promised to protect Angel, and I never want those bastards to touch him again.

There is silence for what feels like forever. Angel remains pressed against my chest crouched here in the warm shower. His face is so pale, even though warmed and his body still trembles from the aftershocks of the vision. I’m a little confused on how those work. I would have thought he would just have the one vision - say - girl in danger from big bad vampire and then it would be over. Angel’ visions seem to be almost continuous. He had a vision about the commandos, about me; next he saw them storming the dorm, after that he knew about Spike’s tracking device. I think something is seriously wrong with Angel’ visions. They are slowly breaking him apart bit by bit.

Finally, when I can’t stand the water anymore, I pull Angel out of the shower. He’s weak but follows my directions. We don’t talk as I towel him down, and surprisingly he’s been aroused by my closeness. It makes me blush. I’d never thought that Angel could find me attractive. He stared at my body through the wet clothing for a long moment after we climbed out the shower, and then turned away. For the first time, I feel alive again, that someone sees me. I haven’t felt that since Oz left. Well, apart from seeing Tara. When I see her it’s like the lights dim.

“Angel, we have to leave here. I told Spike we’d be at my parent’s house.” Angel nods and dries himself the best he can. That’s one problem I’m going to have to sort. Angel has no other clothing. I just hope my father’s old jeans will fit him, but they shall be very short. No one in my family is as tall as Angel is.

When I return to the dorm for a quick change, I find it empty. Thankfully, Buffy hasn’t returned yet. I change into jeans and a jumper, then quickly run out to Angel. We make our way down the stairs and out through the back entrance. Great, I have to get Angel back home and I haven’t any transport. We can’t walk there with Angel soaked through like this. Tara! Tara has access to a friend’s car. It doesn’t take me more than 10 minutes to get to Tara’s dorm, and convince her to help me. I just smiled and asked and she said yes. I’m still smiling when we pick up Angel in her friend’s car.

Tara is very worried about Angel’s appearance. I tell her he’s been sick but nothing more. She doesn't ask questions. One day I hope I can tell her the truth. Half a hour later, we are at my parent’s house. I thank Tara profusely, and I know I want to see her again. When I finally have Angel changed into my father’s old jeans, and a clean shirt he’s much more rested. I just hope Spike is fairing well. Boy, where did that thought come from? I shouldn’t be concerned for him... should I. Yet, Angel seems so attached to him, and for that reason alone I’ll help keep Spike safe. If it help’s Angel, I’ll give Spike my trust. Mind you, it’s just for my friend - nothing more. He’s still a vampire, and I shall have to watch my back.

Spike’s POV:

I make my way quickly away from Willow’s dorm. A couple of commando’s tracked me for awhile, but I lost them. I have to wonder how the hell Angel knew about that. I should go to Willow’s house and see him again. A part of me doesn’t want to. He’s making me feel things I have denied for over a century. He reminds me of how Angelus and I were lovers all those years ago. Even though Angelus couldn’t really love anything, he did show me a little affection. Of course, the only time we were together was when Darla wasn’t around. When she was, she was everything to Angelus - mother, lover, wife. While I was ignored and pushed aside. It was the same in that pit in Yorkshire. Earlier that week Angelus had loved me in his bed while Darla was away on a shopping trip, when she returned I was neglected. I didn’t know at the time how jealous Darla was of anyone who took Angelus’ attention. In my fury, however, I had taken my revenge out on the town’s people. In the end, we were chased by a mob and ended up hiding in a coal mine. I always thought Angelus hated me at that moment. I think I was wrong. In fact, looking back, Angelus’ whole attitude around me with Darla was one of hatred and fear. Fear of Darla discovering her Childe’s relationship with me. Hatred because he couldn’t show he desired me. I think it was a facade to make sure Darla never knew of our affair or of his probable depth of emotion for me. She never did know, not from him and certainly never from me. The only trouble was I never saw how much he wanted me, either.

When I look back, what hurts me more is that time in China. I remember him watching me, silent and alone. He would watch me for hours and it would just make me angrier and angrier. Now with unbiased eyes - I see that he was trying to tell me that he had a soul, trying to work out how to say the words. He never did and then he left. I certainly didn’t tell him how I felt either - I lost myself in Dru’s attentions and he never knew that I... loved him?

I sigh to myself. I have to go back to Angel. I have to know he’s escaped and not dust. He and his visions saved me in that facility. Also, I have to understand how he really feels - or felt - about me. I have to know if he ever loved me.

I make it to Willow’s house in good time. I knew where she lived; I made sure I knew about the slayer’s helpers the first time Dru and me came to Sunnydale. It’s dark when I arrive, but there’s a note waiting for me on the door. I open it and read: If you're Spike, come in. Real clever, Red. I open the door and step inside. The whole house is dark and silent. They must be asleep. I make my way up the stairs and I catch the soft sounds of someone talking in the main bedroom. There is a glass door leading inside and from my position I can see Angel and Willow lying on the bed.

They aren’t together, and I fight down the sudden flicker of jealously. Angel is under the covers and thick blankets, while Willow lies above them, with his head on her stomach. She gently runs her fingers through his hair, calming him into sleep.

“You never saw him again?” I catch Willow asking.

“No, I left China the next night. Darla threw me out again,” Angel answers in a tired voice.

“Angel, what did you really feel for him?”

“Willow, don’t ask me that. You see me as Buffy’s ex...”

“You’re a vampire, Angel. I know what vampires are like, I met my vampire self, remember?”

The both laugh softly. Then Willow calms, and thoughtfully continues to stroke Angel.

“I’ll tell you my secret, if you tell me yours,” she whispers in a conspiratorially way.

Angel is quite for a long moment, “err... okay,” he finally agrees.

“My secret is that,” Willow begins dramatically, “I think I’m in love with Tara.”

A girl’s name? Sweet, innocent little Willow is in love with another girl? Damn, I wish I had met this Vampire Willow.

“Tara, the girl that drove us here?” queries Angel, and Willow nods. Angel gives a little grin.

“I think I’m still in love with William,” Angel admits back.

Willow chuckles and asks: “What do you say about coming out of the closet one day?” Angel gives a soft laugh, and rests his head back onto her chest.

I fall back away from the open door, stunned. I can’t believe what Angel has just said. Does Angelus’ soul love me? Bloody hell! My life is a mess, I can’t bite and now I have emotional issues over my soul-ed Sire! Things can’t get any worse! I step back, attempting to make a quick exit out of the house, and away from all the emotional angst my sire is causing me. I step back, and... Damn it! I walk directly into a large oriental style vase. It rolls on its edge of its perch, and before I can catch it, it tipples over with a loud crash.

“Fuck!”

“Spike?” Willow shouts out, fearfully.

“Yeah, it’s me,” I call back.

Damn it!! Damn it!! I should just go. Walk away. Just say - “how are you, mate and now I’m leaving.” I wander slowly into the main bedroom and look onto the bed. Angel’s lifted himself up on his elbows and gifts me with a 100-watt smile. Wow! Unfortunately, he looks so pale and weak. That smile doesn’t reach his eyes. His injuries are numerous, and slowly healing... Stop it! No! Stare him straight in the eye and say - “goodbye!” Unfortunately, my mouth doesn’t listen to my brain. Damn traitorous thing it is, and answers to my heart instead.

“Angel, you okay?” He gives a quick nod. “You love me?” I blurt out. Oh god, just shot me now!

“Yes, I do,” answers Angel directly. He’s lying with Willow, watching me with serious brown eyes. He’s in full control of his facilities too. Willow says nothing, just grins happily next to him.

“Okay, I’ll be leaving now... Wait - you said - yes?”

“Yes, William, I do.”

“Okay, wanna shag?”

“No,” he laughs, “I hurt too much, but I would like you to sleep with me.”

I start stripping out of my clothing as Willow quickly covers her eyes and turns away. I leave my jeans on and jump into the bed next to Angel. I’ll worry about all the emotional angst tomorrow. I just want to hold him. I wrap my arms around my Sire and snuggle closer.

“I’ll leave you to sleep then,” Willow says disheartened.

Angel catches her arm and pulls her back down. “You are alone too, Willow. We all are. We all have suffered. I don’t understand everything but I felt that in my visions. You belong with us.”

Willow gives the biggest smile I’ve ever seen for a long time. I don’t fully understand Angel’s words, since I’m far too exhausted to care. Tonight has been the longest of my life and I don’t want to ever repeat it! Willow climbs into the bed and snuggles into Angel’s other side. So the three of us entangle around each other, sharing our loneliness and sleep.

~*~*~*~

Initiative facility, Deep underground.

A blond woman steps out to greet Agent Riley Finn and his team. She is far from pleased with the outcome of their mission. In fact, her anger is barely contained as she notices they have returned empty handed.

“I'm sure you'll understand if I seem far from happy,” Professor Walsh informs Agent Finn.

“Yes, ma'am. If you read my report you’ll see...” begins Riley, his voice trembling with nerves. He’d never seen this type of vexation from his superior before.

“That Hostile 17 avoided recapture. That somehow he was pre-warned of your arrival. Then you have the audacity to lose Project 312! You fail to understand the importance of its recapture. That demon could...” she trails off, not wishing to deluge too much to just a lowly solider, even if he is her most trusted. “Then you say you had to fight someone else, who somehow escapes description,” she finishes, clearly unhappy with the state of events.

“Whoever he was, the guy was big,” Forrest confirms.

“Strong, too,” agrees Graham.

“Whoever... Or whatever,” adds Riley, clearly agitated to losing to some unknown demon.

Walsh is not amused by their attentions at defending themselves. She had trained them to be the best, not to be defeated by one measly demon. “I'm not interested in guesswork, gentlemen. Call me old-fashioned, but I like results. This report reads like a child's riddle book. Agent Finn, tell me something good. My implant?”

“The implant works. Hostile 17 can't harm any living creature, in any way without intense neurological pain. We'll bag it,” Riley confirms, trying to save face.

“What of the project 312, did you receive any feedback from the interface,” Walsh asks, not Riley, but a Doctor that steps forward. The soldiers look on in confusion at the laptop the doctor holds in his hands.

“The interface experienced some difficulties; the subject’s neuro-pathways are rejecting the implant. We have only received a few confused images, but they are getting clearer each time. Unfortunately, if we don’t get Project 312 back soon to monitor its progress, we might lose the uplink.”

“That will be a great loss, wouldn’t you agree Agent Finn?”

“Err... yes. We’ll have them both back here soon,” he confirms, still unsure about the whole Project 312 subject, but knows better than to question the Professor.

“Yes, you will. Dismissed.” Professor Walsh takes up the laptop and presses enter. Images flicker across the screen. Hostile 17 and red headed girl, surround Project 312. The images change to flashes of violence. A blond female vampire killing a young man beside a blue car, and so on.

“Project 312, you shall be my greatest achievement,” Professor Walsh tells the laptop. The image of the subject’ face appears when the replay of visions has finished. A tall, dark haired vampire stares back at Walsh from the screen. “You shall give me glory.”~

END I promise Sex in Part 2.