Title: Secrets Kept

Author: Hunter

Rating: R

Feedback: YESYESYESYESYES!!!!

Archive: Anyone who wants it, just ask.

Spoilers: Season 4 BtVS/ Season 1 Angel

Summary: Willow goes to a fortune-teller who predicts the future and, for once, is right.

Disclaimer: All these wonderful characters belong to Joss Whedon and friends
(SOB!!!).

Notes: WARNING: Character Death.

 

SECRETS KEPT

By Hunter
-*-*-*-*-*-*-

" I see a dark, good-looking person in your future." The fortune-teller said in a fake Gypsy accent, traditional carnival style." You have loved this person for many years but never said so. Many will reveal their secrets to you and this person will be one of them. You will know who it is when they reveal their secret."

Willow laughed and dropped five dollars in the bowl on the table. "Thanks, I think." She walked outside to rejoin Buffy and Xander.

"Well," They prompted her, " how'd it go?" She shrugged and took her Fairy Floss back from Xander, who had been eating -no- looking after it for her.

"OK I guess." Willow replied warily, she really didn't want to talk about it. To her, having her fortune told was a very private thing. " Ohh, look. Rollercoaster. Come on, let's go." She grabbed Xander by the hand and dragged him over to the ticket booth with Buffy trailing behind.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Willow spent that evening reflecting on what the fortune-teller had said. Her spellbook lay forgotten in her lap as she puzzled over the message. /A dark, good-looking person...../ she thought, /that's gotta be Xander. I loved him for years, but now I love him as a friend. I love Tara, don't I?/

At that point, the phone rang. She got up quickly, unceremoniously dumping the book on the floor. She scooped it up as she leapt for the phone. She snatched up the receiver and breathlessly greeted the person on the other end.

" Buffy?"

" Angel? Hi, how are you? It's me, Willow."

" Oh, is Buffy around?"

"No, she's not. Can I take a message?" Willow felt a bit disappointed at Angel's dismissal of her question.

"Yes, please. Could you tell her I'll be in town on a case this weekend? I'd like to meet with her."

"Sure, I'll pass it on. So, what's the.........." She didn't finish the question as Angel had hung up the phone. She angrily slammed the phone down and slumped unhappily to the floor. /Why does everyone overlook me? Am I so easy to miss?/ Tears started to stream down her face, but she was interrupted by the door being wrenched open and Buffy leaping on her bed in tears.

" Buffy, what's wrong?" Willow forgot her own tears out of concern for her friend. Buffy said nothing, she just passed a piece of paper to Willow.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Buffy,
I'm so sorry to do this to you, but I can't take it anymore.Since the incident with Adam, my life has spiralled downinto the depths of Hell as I know it. My life isn't worth living and so I've ended it. I love you but I don't know whether you reciprocate, which hurts me deep. You probably think me weak, giving up like this. You're so strong. And you're right, I am weak.

I'm Sorry,
Riley

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my Goddess." Willow breathed. " Buffy, are you going to be OK?Come on, talk to me."

Buffy hiccuped a few times and cleared her throat. " I don't know, Wills. I just don't know."

Willow went over and hugged her friend. She tried to calm Buffy down, but Buffy pushed her away and ran out the room.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Next Morning

The phone rang again and again. Willow groggily opened her eyes and picked up the receiver.

"Willow, have you seen Buffy? She's disappeared." Giles said, his voice laden with concern.

"No, but I'll be right over."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Giles opened the door hurriedly when he heard Willow knock. She looked a little frazzled, her hair everywhere and her face sweaty. He realised that she had run from the campus to his place. He ushered her inside and asked her if she wanted a drink.

"Water, please." Willow flopped down on the couch to catch her breath. He brought a glass of water over to her. She thanked him and drank the clear liquid thirstily. When she finished, she placed the glass on the coffee table in front of her. Giles sat in a chair opposite the couch.

"Willow, where is Buffy? Her mother called an hour ago to see if she'd stayed here after patrolling. I telephoned everyone and there was no sign." He looked worried and tired.

Willow thought for a moment, remembering the night before. She began her tale in a rush of words "Idon'tknowwhereshe'sgone.ShewascryingandRileyand....ohnoIdidn't realisewhathappen ed.I.............."

"Breathe, Willow, breathe." She took a deep breath and started again, slower this time.

"Buffy ran in to our dorm last night. She was crying. She showed me a note from Riley. He....he.....he...." She burst into tears, not being able to say the words. Giles went over and sat beside her, awkwardly putting his arm around her shoulders.

"Shhh, it's alright. Don't cry." She leaned into him and sobbed for a while. Eventually she sat up and wiped her eyes with the backs of her hands. Giles offered her a tissue and she gratefully accepted it. She dabbed at her eyes until they were dry then drew up her courage.

"Riley committed s-s-suicide last night. Buffy had a note from him to her. He kept saying that he was weak and she's strong. Then she just ran out. I tried to comfort her, to help her. I really did, Giles" He shushed her.

"I know. Buffy deals with things in her own way and on her own. But I am not sure that is such a good thing. I'll telephone her mother, you go find the others and organise a search party. Meet me here in a hour and we'll work with my house as a base." Willow nodded, got up and left in search of the other Slayerettes.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

"Hey Will. Whassup?" Xander looked up from the video he was watching as Willow walked down the stairs to his basement apartment.

"Have you seen Buffy?"

"Ya know what? Giles asked me the same thing earlier. I figured the Buffster would be with Soldier Boy." A sneer accompanied the last words. Xander got up from his seat and walked over to stand in front of Willow.

"No, she can't be." Xander quirked an eyebrow, disbelievingly. "Xander, Riley's dead. He killed himself." Xander's looked of shock was marred by a slight twinkle of satisfaction in the depths of his eyes. Willow noticed it and hit him on the arm. "You insensitive........so-and-so. Buffy's in pain and she's disappeared. We have to find her."

"Owwwwww!" He yelped and rubbed where she'd hit him. "Alright! We'll go find her." He grabbed a jacket and followed her up the stairs.

<I'LL all at her catch I if rebound the on Buffy

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After gathering up Anya, Tara and Joyce, they made their way back to Giles' house. He looked even more worse for wear when he opened the door.

"Come inside, all of you." He motioned for them to enter and then moved over to the whiteboard he'd set up. "Willow, Tara, you cover this side of Sunnydale." He pointed to a map he'd stuck to the board. "Anya, Xander, you search this side. Joyce, you'll stay here with me. We'll man the telephone and find out where she was last seen." The group nodded and got their equipment together. After checking that they had everything, each couple set out.

Each couple had a set of missing posters with Buffy's picture and details. Every day, they put up more after noticing that the posters had been torn down during the night. Willow thought that the casualties due to Sunnydale's vampire population would go up after the Slayer's disappearance, but they seemed to be almost non-existant.

Day by day, Willow searched for her elusive friend, even after everyone else had given up on finding the Slayer. She missed classes in her vigil, but she had begun not to care about her education. The idea that Buffy might be somewhere drove her on.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

In the time Buffy had been missing, Angel and his employees had turned up. Their case involved an Akhkaru demon, somewhat like a vampire but more powerful. They quickly found out the information they needed from Giles' archives and killed the demon. After hearing that Buffy had gone missing, Angel decided that he and his employees would stay in Sunnydale a little longer.

Willow walked into Giles' house late one evening. "Any news?" "No." She looked dejected, tired and lost. Willow collapsed onto the couch and closed her eyes briefly, before shaking herself awake.

Angel looked at her concernedly. "Willow, take a break. Get some sleep, you're wearing yourself out."

"I have to," *yawn* "find Buffy." *yawn* Her eyes drifted closed again. Seconds later, soft snoring was heard. Angel gently lifted her up and Giles nodded his head towards the stairs. Angel took the witch upstairs and lay her on the guest room bed. He smoothed her hair back and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. She grumbled and rolled over, making herself more comfortable. Angel quietly left her to sleep and went downstairs.

"She's exhausted." Angel said as he walked down the stairs.

"I noticed." Giles deadpanned. He flicked through the book on his lap, not really reading the words. His mind was churning with thoughts of Buffy and of Willow. <SHE'S her I and get to together. back life down slow do How Buffy. finding closer any not she?s hard too herself pushing

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

 

END PART 2