Dylan's Angel

Author: Ahnjunae

Story rating: NC-17

Theme: Dylan/Tyr Slash Subtext

Summary: This story picks up where Angel Dark, Demon Bright leaves off. It isn’t over till I say it’s over.

Disclaimer: They’re not mine, I just borrow them to play with. Text that is italicized was taken directly from Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda

 

DYLAN'S ANGEL

By Ahnjunae

 

"My people have a legend about the Battle of Witch Head Nebula. They say that the Nietzschean forces arrived here with overwhelming numbers, their victory seemed assured. But then, in the critical hour, the Angel of Death appeared, summoning forth the Fires of Hell. The Nietzschean fleet was struck down, crippled, their glorious victory turned to ashes…"

Tyr’s words still echoed within Dylan’s mind as he traversed the corridors of the Andromeda, uncertain of what he searched for. Perhaps it was his need to find absolution for the death he had bestowed on so many. So many lives lost just to make history. Maybe it was just his need, no; desire to make amends that he found himself at the entryway to Tyr’s quarters.

‘What am I doing here?’ he mumbled. Dylan could remember the heat he felt from Tyr’s gaze as he retold the history of Witch Head. His dark eyes penetrated Dylan to his core. "I’ve never seen an angel before…" Those words were reason enough for Dylan to make his way to Tyr’s quarters. Battles weren’t only being fought outside the ship anymore. A major skirmish was raging between Dylan’s mind and body. It had been quite a while since he shared intimacy with anyone.

Gaheris had been his first experience with a man. By nature, Gaheris dominated everyone, except Dylan. Try as he might, Gaheris couldn’t bully his affections on Dylan. Perhaps that is why he changed tactics and seduced Dylan instead. They spent many hours together discussing various topics. Gaheris was always finding ways to endear himself to Dylan. Dylan had a genuine desire to learn all he could about Gaheris and his race.

After one particularly enlightening conversation, Gaheris told Dylan that although a Nietzschean’s first priority is to procreate, that most male Nietzscheans preferred to spend time with a male consort. Dylan always welcomed new challenges and bedding Gaheris was way up there. From that time on, it seemed that nothing would come between the two. Nothing until Sarah came into the picture.

Dylan knew that Gaheris understood his need to be with her. In fact, Gaheris encouraged Dylan to take Sarah and create a family. What Gaheris hadn’t bargained for was Dylan wanting to stop the physical aspect of their relationship. Dylan prayed each night that his reluctance to continue being Gaheris’ lover wasn’t one of the reasons he betrayed the Commonwealth.

Now as he stood at the entryway, Dylan wondered if he should open himself up enough to let another Nietzschean in. Tyr’s actions, in light of recent events, were the reason why Dylan was here now. Slowly, over time, perhaps he could win more of Tyr’s respect. He just needed to keep it physical, no emotional strings.

As the entry doors opened, Dylan’s thoughts about no emotional strings took flight. Tyr sat on his bed, back to the entryway. ‘No Nietzschean would expose himself that way.’ Dylan thought to himself. Dylan no longer sought absolution. He now wanted to absolve Tyr of his guilt.

"I wish there had been another way." Dylan said as he approached Tyr.

"Guilt is a wasted emotion, or so I keep telling myself." Tyr answered without looking up. It was readily apparent to Dylan that he had been crying.

"You blame yourself for what happened." Dylan said.

"I didn’t say that." Tyr bit out. "But I could have sabotaged the Andromeda. I could have killed us all and saved 100,000 Nietzschean lives. I didn’t do it." Tyr said solemnly.

"No, you didn’t." Dylan silently willed Tyr to look at him. He needed Tyr to know that he did the right thing. "I let my own need for survival outweigh the fate of an entire people, my people." Dylan sat down next to Tyr. He struggled to find the right words to say. Finally he turned to face Tyr and said, "That’s a very Nietzschean thing to do." Tyr laughed at Dylan’s attempt at humor, "Yes it is, isn’t it." Dylan continued, "Maybe on some level you knew that what we did was somehow necessary and right."

"Dylan do you really believe that?" Tyr asked, a tear rolling down his cheek, "I have to." Dylan finished.

Dylan and Tyr sat in silence until Dylan rose to leave. "Wait." Tyr whispered while placing a hand on Dylan’s arm. "There is something I want to discuss with you if your time allows." He added.

"I’m always willing to listen to any member of the crew." Dylan answered. He sat back down beside Tyr and prepared himself to listen.

Tyr began slowly, without looking at Dylan. "You once told me that you trusted me, to be me. Until this day I very much wanted you to believe that about me. Today, I wanted you to see and believe something else. Do you know what that is?"

Dylan nodded his head in acknowledgement. "I suspect that some part of you wants me to trust you. Otherwise, you would have succeeded in acquiring the Maru and warning the other Nietzscheans."

"Nothing slips past you does it Captain?" Tyr leaned back onto his elbows, opening his self up to more intimate communication. "I wonder just how much you know about Nietzscheans, males specifically." Tyr challenged.

Dylan turned more to face Tyr and raised his hand to stroke the side of his face. "I know that for your kind, sex with a female is required to keep your lineage alive. Intimacy with another male is solely for pleasure; for only a man can truly relate to the complex problems of another man and provide solace." As Dylan spoke, a devious smile was beginning to widen on Tyr’s face.

Tyr shifted his weight to one elbow to be able to touch Dylan’s hair. He was happy to find Dylan’s hair was as soft as he imagined. Dylan closed his eyes and savored Tyr’s soft touch. "You’ve been taught well."

Dylan opened his eyes and shifted away from Tyr’s touch. Being reminded of Gaheris, his love and betrayal, was enough to bring Dylan back from the precipitous edge of desire.

Tyr mentally kicked himself. He knew to tread carefully. The fragile link developing with Dylan could be severed with one careless word or action. He had known that Dylan’s First Officer had been Nietzschean, that he had betrayed Dylan. Now he knew that he had been Dylan’s teacher in many aspects of Nietzschean male intimacy. What a blow it must have been to be so horribly betrayed by your lover. Tyr had newfound respect for Dylan’s tolerance. "I’m sorry Dylan. I didn’t know." Tyr said to Dylan as he moved farther away.

"It’s not your fault. I have trust issues I need to deal with before we go farther." Dylan reassured.

"Then we will be together." Tyr stood to go to Dylan.

Dylan raised his hand to stop him from coming closer. He knew that if he didn’t stop him he would give Tyr the control he couldn’t afford to loose at this point in time. Finally he said, "I won’t make any promises, but in time, I would enjoy continuing my education on Nietzschean bondage rituals." Dylan turned and left Tyr to stand astonished in the wake of another new knowledge. He smiled then laughed as he told himself, "Who would have thought, the Captain likes kink."

=30=