Copyright: March 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Hero Worship

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: Johnny gets an unexpected suprise a few days after the events in "Messin Around."

Content Warning: Harsh Language. Violence.

 

Hero Worship
by Robin R. Neher

A few days after rescuing a child from a burning tree, Johnny Gage and the rest of 51's A-Shift were gathered around the station's kitchen table, having coffee before the start of their shift. As they talked, the phone in Captain Stanley's office rang. Hank ran to answer it. A few minutes later, the tall, skinny Captain returned to the kitchen, a look of utter shock on his face.

"Cap?" Engineer Mike Stoker asked, quietly.

"I don't believe it." Hank whispered. "Gage, do you remember Cynthia?"

"That little girl we rescued from the burning tree?" Johnny replied. "Cap, was that Betty?"

"Pal, that was Chief Houst. It seems that this Betty put you in for a medal of valor." Hank informed the young Paramedic. "She told the Chief how you went above and beyond to save her baby."

All the guys watched as John buried his head in his hands.

"I thought I'd straightened her out the other night!" Johnny said.

"Obviously, you didn't." Roy DeSoto said, pointedly. "Johnny, what the hell did you tell her?!"

"Nothing!" Johnny yelled. "I told Betty that I was just a fireman doing my job, no more, no less!"

"Johnny, this Betty seems to think you're a big hero!" Chet Kelly sneered. "Where do we fit in?! As hired help?!"

"Guys, honest! I didn't know this was gonna happen!" Johnny argued. "I did not mislead her!"

"First, she gets it into her head that Johnny's the Captain of this station, then she thinks that Johnny's a big hero because he was doing his job!" Marco Lopez yelled. "I say this is all Johnny's fault!"

"I couldn't agree more, Marco!" Cap sneered. "Johnny, you did nothing to correct her assumptions!"

"What was I supposed to do?" Johnny asked.

"Tell her the truth!" Roy yelled.

"Dammit, Roy, I didn't lie to her!" Johnny yelled. "I did not misrepresent myself in any way!"

"Johnny, you let her assume things that were not true! It's lying by omission!" Roy yelled back. "Johnny, if you accept that medal, I'll transfer out!"

"There's the door!" Johnny challenged, pointing toward the apparatus bay. "Roy, I'm proud of what I did that day! I was the one up there in that tree, you all were just holding the ladder! You all are just a bunch of jealous nothings because I got a little acknowledgment! I'm accepting that medal, so screw you, all of you!"

The guys watched as Johnny stormed off toward the lockeroom. Roy then turned to Hank.

"Cap, I'd like to put in for transfer." Roy requested.

"I'll get the papers, Pal." Hank replied, sadly, getting up and walking toward his office.

"Roy, you aren't serious!" Mike sobbed.

"Mike, I can't work with a partner that has no morals." Roy told the Engineer. "I can't just stand there behind the scenes while John takes the credit for something we did as a team."

"Roy, I don't disagree with your reasoning, but A-Shift is a family." Chet argued. "Can't you and John work this out?"

"We all heard John's opinion on the issue." Roy answered. "I thought I'd trained Johnny better then that. Obviously, I was wrong."

"Roy, It wasn't your fault." Marco said. "John only thinks about John Gage, he always has."

"Yeah," Chet agreed. "Betty may have done the assuming, but Johnny did nothing to correct her."

"Guys, I don't think Johnny is selfish, just nice to a fault. He has no idea how to say no or hurt people's feelings." Mike stepped in. "Johnny's just too polite."

"Polite enough to forget about us?" Chet asked.

"Chet, Johnny just forgets sometimes that we are supposed to be a team." Roy replied. "I think the attention he got for this rescue just went to his head. "Betty didn't help either."

"I really don't think Johnny wanted the attention to begin with. Betty shoved her gratitude in his face and Johnny might've felt he had no choice but to accept it." Hank said as he returned to the kitchen with the transfer papers.

"Thanks, Cap." Roy said, taking the papers and heading toward the bay after cleaning out his locker.

In the bay, Roy found Johnny, sitting on the hood of the squad.

"Good luck, Fireman Gage." Roy said, quietly. "I hope all your dreams come true. I can't stay here, knowing you plan to do something that's just plain wrong. Johnny, I have values and if I continue to work with you, I'd be compromising them."

"I understand." Johnny replied. "Good luck, Fireman DeSoto."

Roy then left station fifty-one without looking back. Hank then joined Johnny in the bay.

"That was one of the best Paramedics I ever had." Cap told Johnny. "He's gone now."

"It was his choice to leave." Johnny uncaringly replied. "Partner come and partners go."

"Johnny, do you feel the same about best friends?" Cap asked, softly. "Johnny, Marco, Chet and the others are not jealous, but hurt. They're hurt that you're getting recognition for something that they participated in too."

"Cap, I never asked for or wanted that medal!" Johnny reminded his boss.

"I know, Pal." Hank nodded.

"And I did not tell Betty I was anything other then a Paramedic." John added. "For Roy to call me a liar hurts!"

"Johnny, in his place, what would you believe?" Hank asked. "Johnny, you should've corrected her as soon as she started making assumptions. Johnny, I know she thinks you're a hero, but she's living in a fantasy world. I know that in the heat of stress, people only see you or Roy to the rescue, but just once would it hurt to recognize us lowly hose jockeys too?"

With that, Cap got up and headed for his office to get a new partner for Johnny. Johnny, meanwhile wondered out back and sat on the stoop. As he stared at the ground, Dixie McCall pulled up in her station wagon.

"Hi, John." Dix waved, getting out of her car.

"Dix,." Johnny replied, without looking up

"What's this?" Dix asked. "I thought the hero would be happy."

"Dix, I don't know what to do. Those guys in there are all mad, my partner transferred, all because Betty put me in for that stupid medal!" Johnny told the nurse as she sat down next to him. "Dix, I was the one that was in that tree! They just put out the fire!"

"Is that what you think the engine crew is there for? Just to handle a hose here or hold a piece of equipment there? Johnny, those guys in there make your rescues possible! If they hadn't been able to get that fire out, that little girl would've died and so would you!" Dix told the young man. "Johnny, I know you Paramedics get all the praise and applause, but don't you think the engine crew deserves some too?"

"I guess I did hurt some feelings." Johnny realized. "The problem is, how can I not accept this medal?"

"Johnny, only you can answer that. You must listen to your heart and follow it. Ask yourself what a medal really is." Dix replied. "Is a chunk of metal more important then the morale of this crew?"

"Morale?" Johnny asked.

"The crew's spirits." Dix explained. "You see, John, if you accept that medal, the guy's morale could plummet. Eventually, some of them could leave the fire service because they don't feel appreciated and valued. That would be a waste of training and talent."

"But how can I not accept that medal? If I don't, it'll hurt Betty's feelings!" Johnny worried.

"On the other hand, if you do, they'll be four other firemen that are hurt." Dix reminded the young man. "Johnny, Betty will be gone from your life before you know it, but those guys in the station you'll have to live and work with every shift."

"There is another solution. I can transfer out." Johnny told Dix.

"What the hell kind of solution is that?!" Dix demanded. "Johnny, that's running away, not solving the problem!"

"Dix, I can't work with a bunch of Jealous Jimmys!" Johnny argued. "How fair would that be to the department?!"

"How fair is it if station fifty-one loses one of the best Paramedics there is?!" Dix shot back.

"I don't know! Why don't you ask DeSoto?!" Johnny yelled, getting up and storming back inside the station.

Storming back inside, Johnny went directly to the radio stand in the apparatus bay.

"LA, squad fifty-one out of service!" Johnny growled into the mic as Cap gaped.

"Gage, what are you doing?!" Hank demanded. "Have you lost your mind?!"

"No, I've had it!" Johnny yelled. "I've had it with all of you! I get a little medal and you all turn against me! If I don't accept the medal, I'll hurt one person's feelings, if I do, I hurt yours! I can't win, no matter what I choose!"

"Johnny,-" Dix said, trying to calm the young medic.

"Shut up, Nursie!" Johnny growled. "I'm talking now!"

All watched as Johnny poured lighter fluid all over the engine and squad, then struck a match on the bay floor.

"Johnny, please, we're sorry!" Cap sobbed.

"Not as sorry as I am!" Johnny hissed, blowing out the match "I'm sorry that this shitty Paramedic program ever started! I'm tired of all the so-called attention we attract! Either we deal with fireman buffs, or people like Betty who wanna give us medals or people who think we're just dumb firemen! Back at the old station house, I get stuck with Practical jokers like Chester B and goody-two shoes like Roy. I also get to deal with a mentally unstable Captain who goes to pieces at the mere mention of a Chief, any Chief!"

All watched in silence as Johnny took off his badge and placed it in Cap's hand

"I quit!" Johnny announced. I didn't join the department for this!"

With that, Johnny went to the lockeroom, changed into civvies, cleaned out his locker and left before anyone could react.

*

Two days later, Dix paid Johnny a visit on his ranch on the outskirts of LA.

"Dix, About what I said the other day-" Johnny began, only to have Dix cut him off.

"You've got alot of nerve, John Roderick Gage!" Dix hissed. "Where the hell do you get off pulling a stunt like you did the other day?! You may have been angry, but that did not give you the right to douse the squad and engine in gasoline! Station fifty-one is out of service because of that stunt! They have to clean and decontaminate those vehicles and apparatus bay, thanks to you! Let me tell you one more thing, Johnny-boy! If you EVER talk to me the way you did two days ago again, I will yank your pants down and give you the spanking of your life!"

Dix watched as Johnny started to cry.

"Oh, god! What have I done?!" Johnny sobbed. "What have I done to my friends?! Johnny the jerk strikes again!"

Dix sat down next to John on his sofa and held him as he cried.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, I feel the same way as a nurse sometimes. Between the demanding patients, the just as demanding doctors and administration, I feel like giving up too." Dixie soothed the crying man. "But I don't. Know why?"

Johnny shook his head.

"Everytime I feel that way, I remind myself I why I went to nursing school. I became a nurse to help people." Dix explained. "Good or bad, that's why I'm a nurse."

"That's why I became a fireman." Johnny sniffed. "It's hard enough doing that. Why should I have to put up with a Chet or a Cap?"

"Honey, there are people like that everywhere." Dix replied. "Just like there are Bettys and fireman buffs. You just have to deal with them as they come. Chet uses humor as a way of dealing with what he sees on the job. Jokes are a buffer for him. We need Roy DeSotos in this world to remind us of what's really important. Roy's kids look up to their Uncle Johnny. It's up to you help set a positive example for them, Stanley's kids too. As for Hank, one day, you may be a Captain yourself and may be just as nervous around Chiefs as he is."

"I never thought of that." Johnny realized. "I've been such an ass lately."

"Johnny, it's not to late to go back." Dix said. "This world also needs Johnny Gages to remind us to take time to enjoy life. You bring an innocence to all of us."

"Thanks, Dix." Johnny smiled.

"That's what friends are for." Dix smiled as Johnny hugged her.

*

Two days later, Johnny was back on duty at 51's. He stood proudly in his dress uniform as Chief Houst pinned the medal of valor on his chest. Johnny then prepared to make a speech.

"Betty, it's nice that you think so highly of me, but I was not the only one who helped save your daughter that day. Standing to your right are the rest of team fifty-one. Captain Stanley, would you please introduce the rest of our little family?" A smiling Johnny requested.

"Gladly." Hank smiled. "Next to me is Firefighter Chester Kelly, Firefighter/Specialist Michael Stoker, Fireman Charlie Dwyer and last but not least, Fireman Marco Lopez."

"Nice to meet you all." Betty smiled.

"Betty, we all saved your child, not just Johnny." Cap told her. "I don't know what he told you, but I run this station. You must realize that the staff of a fire station works as a team."

"I'm sorry if I caused you all any trouble." Betty replied. "I was just trying to show my gratitude."

"We understand." Hank replied. "Johnny, this doesn't mean we aren't proud of you, Pal."

"Cap, I acted like an ass and I'm sorry." Johnny replied. "I guess the idea of getting a medal overwhelmed my sense of right and wrong. Cap, I want this medal to go to the station, not just me. We worked together to save Cynthia."

"Johnny, I can see to it that of A-shift gets medals." Chief Houst offered.

"With all due respect, Sir, I think I'll just put this medal in a nice frame on the wall here for all to see." Johnny grinned. "As far as I'm concerned, this medal belongs to us all."

*

Two days later, Hank arrived for work to see Johnny's medal on the apparatus bay wall.

"Well, Cap, what do ya think?" Johnny grinned.

"It's nice, John." Cap smiled approvingly. "The guys will love this."

"Look at the plaque I had made." Johnny invited.

Hank stepped up to the framed medal and read the plaque underneath.

TO STATION 51 A-SHIFT. FOR PERFORMANCE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY. TO ALL THE FIREMAN THAT HAVE DIED DOING THEIR DUTY. LET THIS MEDAL BE A CONSTANT REMINDER TO ALL WHO SEE IT OF THE FIREFIGHTERS WHO RISK THEIR LIVES EVERYDAY TO SAVE LIVES. THANK YOU, ONE AND ALL.

Firefighter John Roderick Gage

"That's beautiful, Johnny." Cap said, his voice shaking.

"If only Roy were here to see it." Johnny sobbed.

*

As the rest of the crew arrived, they all scowled at Johnny.

"Hey, Guys, come see what I made." Johnny grinned, extending his hand toward the framed medal.

"No thanks, Gage." Chet coldly replied. "You did it again, didn't you?!"

"Did what?" Johnny asked.

"C'mon, Gage, don't tell me you didn't read this morning's paper!" Marco yelled. "You get it all, a medal, a field promotion to Captain, and you get a street named after you!"

"What the hell are you guys talkin' about?!" Johnny demanded.

"Read it and weep!" Mike Stoker sneered, throwing the paper in front of John.

As Johnny read the article, he gasped in shock.

"Guys, I didn't know about this!" John pleaded.

"Sure, Johnny." Dwyer too sneered as Cap came out of his office.

"Johnny, go put on your dress uniform." Hank instructed. "You have a full day ahead of you, Pal."

"You mean." Johnny squeaked.

"John, as of now, you are promoted to Captain. Congratulations." Hank smiled. "I only wish I'd made Captain as fast as you have."

"Here, Pal, don't forget your medal!" Chet hissed, then smashed the frame.He then placed the medal in Johnny's hand. "Wouldn't want the hero to leave without his medal!"

"Better hurry, John, the Chief himself expects you in his office at nine." Hank prompted.

A confused Johnny ran to the lockeroom and put on his formal uniform. He the went to rejoin the guys in the kitchen.

"Guys, Honest! I didn't know!" Johnny pleaded.

"Go, Johnny, your public awaits." Chet said, pushing Johnny out of the station.

*

While all this was going on, Roy DeSoto sat watching it all unfold on his TV at home with his wife, Joanne.

"Honey?" Jo asked, her voice tinged with concern as she sat next to her husband on their couch.

"GGGGRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Roy screamed, smashing his left fist through the TV in front of him as Jo screamed in terror.

Roy then grabbed all his manuals for the Engineer's test off the bookshelf next to the TV as Jo ran to the neighbors to get help. Meanwhile a raging Roy got a book of matches from the kitchen, then returning to the living room, took the books and stacked them all in the hearth. Roy then lit them ablaze.

"Fuck you, John Roderick Gage!" Roy muttered over and over as the manuals burned. "Fuck you!"

*

Outside the DeSoto home, Cap Stanley and his crew arrived.

"Cap, Roy's gone mad!" Jo sobbed. "Please, you have to help him!"

"Jo, I need you to stay out here." Cap instructed. "All the rest of you guys too! Dwyer, open a line to Rampart and tell them to stand by."

"Right, Cap." Dwyer replied.

"Mike, I'm going in." Hank informed his Engineer, then entered the house.

"Roy? It's Hank Stanley." Hank called as he stepped inside. "Come out so we can discuss this!"

"What's there to talk about?!" Roy growled. "I see how the fucking department works now! It bows to the wishes of politicians looking for heroes!"

"Roy, that isn't true!" Hank argued. "Johnny deserves those honors!"

"And what about the men who studied and worked their asses off to be promoted?" Roy demanded. "Do they lose out to a guy who couldn't lead a garbage detail?!"

"Roy, listen to me, Pal. You have as much chance of making Engineer as anyone else." Cap tried to assure the irate medic.

"Cap, I've taken the test four times in a row!" Roy yelled. "The highest I ever scored was ninth!"

*

"Cap, you have no idea what's it's like to sit and watch as John Gage gets all the applause and acclaim!" Roy cried. "It isn't fair to the others!"

"Roy, What's Johnny supposed to do? Turn all that down?" Cap asked. "He can't do that and I think you're being mighty childish about it! I don't think that you're ready to be an Engineer or anything else! You're just too immature!"

Roy paled as Cap's words hit home. He knew in his heart that Cap was right.

"Cap, I'm sorry. I guess I have been behaving like a jackass." Roy realized. "I won't test for promotion again."

"I think you wait a few years before testing again." Cap advised. "Roy, you've only been a Paramedic for two years. I also think you should transfer to Johnny's command. You could learn alot from him."

"Like what?" Roy asked.

"I think you could learn alot about modesty and checking your ego at the door. Roy, I think you've been trying to make Johnny be another you when you should accept him as is." Hank replied. "He didn't ask for Betty's gratitude, nor anything else."

"He didn't do anything to stop it either." Roy sniffed. "He misrepresented himself to her."

"How?" Hank asked.

"Cap, you saw him! Johnny let Betty think he was a Captain! To my way of thinking, that's wrong." Roy answered. "He should've corrected her as soon as she assumed that!"

"Roy, Johnny did not lie to her!" Cap yelled. "He didn't tell her he was anything other then a Paramedic! As for Betty, she wanted a knight and shining armor and Johnny just happened to be the one she chose!"

"Cap, are you saying that my values are worthless?!" Roy challenged.

"No, I just think you're being a lousy example to your kids by behaving this way!" Hank yelled. "Would you want your kids acting like this if they lost at a game?!"

Roy suddenly lunged at Hank before he could react, knocking him to the carpeted living room floor.

Outside, Mike and the rest heard the crash and rushed inside to help, along with several police officers. The police officers grabbed Roy and subdued him as Cap slowly got to his feet.

"You okay?" Dwyer asked.

"Yeah." Hank replied, shakily. "Thanks."

Dwyer caught Cap as he nearly collapsed.

"I don't think so, Cap." Charlie disagreed. "Will you let me examine you or do I have to call in Dixie? Your choice."

*

Hank ignored Dwyer, getting up and walking outside.

"Officer, I want DeSoto taken to Rampart for psych evaluation." Hank ordered.

"Yes, Sir." The police officer replied, getting in his patrol car where Roy sat, handcuffed and drove away toward the hospital.

Hank then turned to Jo.

"Hank, ever since Johnny started getting all this attention, Roy has been acting like a caged tiger." Jo informed the tall, skinny man.

"Jo, I think Roy's hurt that he and the others weren't recognized too. It seems that Betty only has eyes for Johnny. She has this delusion that Johnny rescued her kid single handedly." Hank replied. "She sees Roy and the others as bit players."

"I think Johnny feeds her fantasy by letting himself play the hero." Mike Stoker added, joining them. "He doesn't want to hurt her by telling her the truth. At the same time, he doesn't want all the attention either."

"Kinda the reluctant hero, huh?" Joanne asked. "Johnny's being manipulated like a puppet on a string, not only by Betty, but by the people of LA County as well as his friends."

Cap paled, realizing that Joanne was right.

"I guess like Johnny said a few days ago, either way, he's the loser." Mike whispered. "We've been playing tug of war with a human being, pulling him in all directions."

"We sure have." Chet Kelly agreed, sadly. "Roy didn't help things any by turning his back on John."

"He what?" Jo gasped.

"Joanne, when Roy found out Johnny was getting that medal, he threatened to transfer out if John accepted it and he did." Hank told Jo.

Jo just stood there, letting this new information sink in.

"Why didn't he tell me?" Joanne whispered. "I didn't realize Roy hurt this bad."

"Mike, we better make ourselves available, Pal." Hank advised. "Jo, can you make it to Rampart okay?"

"Yeah, go ahead." Jo replied, brokenly as she watched the firemen drive away in the trucks.

*

Minutes later, all were back at the station and were suprised to see Johnny there, standing proud in his dress uniform.

"John, what brings you here?" Cap asked.

"I just came by to thank you." Johnny grinned. "Cap, you guys made it possible for me to find the love of my life. Meet Mrs. John Gage."

All the guys gaped as Betty came and stood by Johnny's side.

"Betty and I were married earlier this afternoon at the county courthouse." Johnny proudly announced. "Ya know, fellas, I've learned a lesson from all this. I've learned that people couldn't care less about medals or streets in your name. What they care about is the person. I straightened things out with Betty and she loves me anyway."

"That's great, Pal. Congratulations." Chet smiled.

"From all of us." Hank added. "So you're not a Captain, huh?"

"Nah, I turned all that down." Johnny smiled. "Nothing, even a medal, is worth losing your friends over."

"But what about Roy?" Betty asked her new husband.

"Betty, I can't worry about Roy right now. As a matter of fact, I couldn't care less about him." Johnny stated, honestly. "I have our future to think about."

"Look, Johnny, I said I'd marry you, but I will not move in with you or go to bed with you for six months. You go on and be with who you wanna be with." Betty said, much to the shock of the others. "I don't need or want anything from you."

"But-" Johnny protested.

"Johnny, you agreed to this." Betty insisted. "Johnny, our marriage is in name only til you're ready to settle down. I can't put mine or Cynthia's future in the hands of someone who may want his freedom in six months."

"I know, It's just hard to accept that I can't sleep with my wife on my wedding night." Johnny sighed.

"You can find some nurse to be with at Rampart." Betty soothed. "I'm sure there has to be one free."

With that, Betty left the station.

"It's okay, Pal. You're on shift anyway." Hank reminded Johnny. "Welcome back."

"Yeah," Johnny muttered. heading toward the lockeroom to change.

*

A few minutes later, Johnny joined the others at the kitchen table. All could see the disappointment over not being able to enjoy his wedding night in his eyes.

"If it's any comfort, you can always find a hooker." Chet Kelly joked.

"Kelly, Shut up!" Cap hissed. "Ignore him, John."

"I always do. Cap, when you were first married, you got a wedding night, didn't you?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah, but I didn't marry a total stranger either." Hank replied. "Johnny, Betty just wants to be sure you're ready to be a husband before lets you bed her. You two barely know each other."

"Yeah, John." Agreed Charlie Dwyer, who was now Johnny's partner. "Give Betty time to get to know you and you her. Hey, you got a six month bachelor party, enjoy it."

"Yeah," Mike agreed. "If Betty decides she wants a divorce before the six months are up, nothing is lost. You'll just live your life as if the marriage never happened."

"You guys are right!" Johnny grinned. "Betty's given me a gift. Why shouldn't I enjoy it?"

*

One hour later, the now Betty Gage sat outside the courthouse where she and Johnny had been married that very afternoon. She was having second thoughts about both the marriage and Johnny. She just wanted time by herself to really be sure she loved this man before setting up house with him. As Betty sat lost in thought, Joanne DeSoto pulled up in her car.

"Betty?" A concerned Jo asked, exiting her car. "Why aren't you with Johnny?"

"Because, I'm not sure I want to be with him." Betty tearfully replied. "I already lost one husband in Vietnam, I'll be damned if I lose this one in a damn rescue!"

"Betty, being a fireman is what John loves." Jo told her, sitting down beside her on the step. "Being a fireman's wife is not easy. Our men do a very dangerous job, one that they could die doing. You saw how dangerous firefighting was during Cynthia's rescue four days ago. Someone has to do it, Betty."

"Jo, don't you get scared when Roy goes to work?" Betty asked. "Aren't you afraid that when you kiss Roy good-bye that it might be for the last time?"

"I was at first." Joanne admitted. "Then, I learned not to let that fear be a part of my every waking moment. I can't make Roy give up the job he loves for me. Neither can you Johnny. If you take firefighting away from him, Johnny may resent you for it."

"I know Johnny loves his job, but I'm also worried about how faithful he can be." Betty cried. "Johnny is very attractive and girls are always after him."

"Betty, Johnny could be a wonderful husband if given a chance." Jo soothed. "He knows now that he can't have the freedom he used to."

"Jo, I told John he could be with who he wanted and that I wasn't gonna sleep with or live with him for six months." Betty replied.

"What?!" Joanne hissed. "Betty, I can't believe you did that!"

"Jo, I was afraid that I couldn't trust Johnny!" Betty sobbed.

"Betty, do you love Johnny?" Joanne asked.

"Joanne, I just don't know." Betty sniffed. "All I know is that Johnny is a busy Captain."

"What?" Joanne asked. "Who the hell told you that Johnny was a Captain? Johnny is a Paramedic, nothing more, nothing less. Betty, Johnny was a member of a crew that saved Cindy. He didn't do it single-handedly."

Betty paled as reality finally hit. Rising to her feet, Betty got in her car and drove toward station fifty-one.

*

At the station, Johnny was getting ready to turn in. As he climbed into bed, the back doorbell rang. A few minutes later, Betty stormed in.

"YOU LYING, GOOD FOR NOTHING, SON OF A BITCH!!!" Betty screamed, then punched Johnny in the face. "YOU'RE A NOTHING PARAMEDIC!!!"

Johnny just sat dazed and bleeding as Betty raged on

"HOW COULD I HAVE FALLEN FOR A CRUD LIKE YOU?!" Betty screamed. "HOW COULD I HAVE MARRIED YOU?!"

"Betty," Hank tried calming her.

"SHUT UP, CRAP!!!" Betty screamed. "YOU CALL YOURSELF A CAPTAIN?! YOU ALLOWED A GOOD FOR NOTHING FIREMAN TO LIE TO ME!!!"

"Betty, you wanted to believe that Johnny was a Captain." Mike Stoker stepped in, quietly. "What you fell in love with and married was a fantasy. You never wanted to see Johnny as he really was. A few hours ago, you loved John. Now, you say he lied to you. I think you were really lying to yourself."

"Yeah." Chet added. "Johnny didn't tell ya he was a Captain. You assumed that. Johnny went along with it cause he didn't wanna hurt you. Don't blame Johnny because you couldn't see reality that day."

"Betty, I'm sorry I wasn't man enough to tell the truth." Johnny winced. "Betty, if you don't wanna be my wife, I understand. If you decide to love me, it must be the real me, not your fantasy. I'll do my best to be a good and faithful husband to you and a good Daddy to Cindy if you give Paramedic Gage a chance. Will you give me a chance, darlin?"

Betty just turned and walked out of the station. Johnny ran to catch up to her.

"Betty, wait!" Johnny called.

Betty turned to face Johnny as he caught up to her.

"Betty, I love you!" Johnny cried.

"Really?" Betty sniffed.

"Really." Johnny smiled. "Honey, I love you, the whole package, as is. Why can't you love me as I am?"

It was then that Betty realized that Johnny was right.

"Honey, I knew what I was doing when I said I do. I know that when I took those vows this afternoon, that it meant I was committed to you for the rest of my life." Johnny told his love.

"But are you ready to be?" Betty worried. "Are you sure you wanna be married?"

"Yes." Johnny assured her. "I'm nearly thirty, Betty. I'm ready to settle into married life. I don't wanna be a dirty old man at eighty and regretting that I never married. Please, Baby, give me a chance. I promise I'll make the best of it."

Betty looked into Johnny's pleading brown eyes, but they did not ease her fears.

"Honey, as much as I want to believe you, I can't." Betty finally stated. "I've heard of your reputation with the nurses at Rampart and frankly, it scares me. Johnny, I'll get this annulled tomorrow. I'm sorry, but it just seems you want us to be married because you fear growing old alone. Marriage is not a game or to be taken lightly. You should marry because you truly love someone, not because you fear loneliness."

With that, Betty handed Johnny back his ring and kissed his cheek. Cap then came out as Johnny started to sob.

"C'mon, Pal, let's go inside and let Animal have a look at you." Hank said, gently, leading Johnny inside the station.

*

A few hours later, Cap found a forlorn looking Johnny sitting on the hood of the squad.

"Can't sleep?" Hank asked.

"Cap, I'm doomed." A depressed Johnny sighed. I'm doomed to be alone. I'll never know the joy of having a wife or bouncing Johnny Jr. on my knee."

"Johnny Jr?" Cap asked.

"I swore if I ever had a son, he'd be my namesake." John elaborated.

"Hey, Pal, you can still have that someday, when the time is right." Cap soothed. "Johnny, you have a life that us married folks wish we could have again. You don't have to be married right now. Your heart will let you know when the time is right. There are alot of people who never marry."

"Really?" Johnny asked.

"Just look at Chet and Marco. They're happy single. Look at Dix and Dr. Brackett, they're not in any hurry to marry even though they love each other." Cap replied. "Johnny, sometimes, a long term relationship is better then marriage. That's what Kel and Dix have."

 

END PART 14: Hero Worship