Copyright: April 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Fair Play

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: Picking up where "Dealer's Wild" left off, we follow Johnny Gage as he tries to get out of constantly losing at cards and ending up with the dishes.

Content Warning: Some harsh language.


Fair Play
By Robin R. Neher

As Johnny Gage washed the dishes for the sixteenth straight time, he sighed in resignation.

"Junior, fair is fair. You knew the rules when this whole thing started." Roy DeSoto reminded his young partner. "You're just upset cause you lost again. Johnny, when you play a game, you've got to be prepared to lose. You also have to be a good loser."

"Roy, I lost at a game I made up!" Johnny whined.

"What does that tell you?" Roy asked.

"That I'm a lousy card player!" Johnny griped as he washed and dried the last of the lunch dishes. "There, they're all done! I'll just end up doing them again at dinner!"

"Johnny, somebody has to do it." Roy soothed. "Everyone has to do their fair share here."

"I know, I know." Johnny sighed. "I just think it's a little unfair that I should get stuck with the fucking dishes sixteen times in a row!"

"Johnny, you lost sixteen times in a row." Roy laughed. "We haven't been unfair to you or taken advantage of you in any way, have we?"

"No." John admitted. "I just wish there was a better way to divide up the chores around here."

"What's wrong with the card games?" Roy asked as he and Johnny joined the rest in the station's rec room. "Everyone has an equal chance."

"Roy's right, John." Captain Dick Hammer agreed. "We played fair, I saw to that. You knew the rules going in."

"I know, It's just that washing dishes sixteen times in a row sucks!" Johnny complained.

"Can you think of a better way to divide the chores, John?" Cap Hammer asked. "Can you think of a way around them?"

"Uh, Cap." Roy warned.

"Ya, Know, I think I can find a way to make life around here easier." Johnny grinned.

"Then, this is your baby. You're labor officer for this shift." Hammer smiled, evilly, then headed toward his office.

"Cap!" Johnny protested.

"Johnny, how many time have I told you about volunteering?" Roy giggled.

*

When Roy and the rest reported for duty two days later, Johnny was waiting, having arrived earlier then usual.

"Gather around, My friends. Today is the start of a labor saving station fifty-one!" A grinning John announced.

"What have you got, John?" Cap Hammer asked as he and the crew gathered.

"My fellow firemen, look around the kitchen here." Johnny invited. "I've done away with all the cups, dishes, pots, pans and silverware. In their place will be frozen dinners and paper or plastic untensils.I've also had vending machines installed in the rec room for that quick snack between calls."

All the guys looked on as Johnny led the way through the rest of the station.

"In the apparatus bay, I've designated an area for a mud room. When you arrive in the morning, you will remove your shoes and leave them out here. The same goes for our work shoes between calls. This is so the floors in the main station won't get dirty as often." Johnny continued. "Also, if you get wet or dirty at a rescue, you will strip down to your underwear and put the wet or dirty uniform in baggies which I have placed on the engine and squad. If we make more of an effort, we won't have to clean them as often either."

"I like what you have so far, Gage. Go on." Cap Hammer encouraged.

"As for the latrine, Roy, you will be responsible for it for the next eight shifts. Mike, you'll be in charge of the rec room, Marco, the dorm. Cap, the kitchen and I will take the office." Johnny concluded.

"What about the squad and engine?" Chet Kelly asked.

"That'll be your department, Chet. It'll be up to you to make sure that the squad and engine are operationally ready and clean at all times, understand?"

Chet nodded.

"Chet, at the beginning and end of each shift, you will inventory the squad and engine and make a list of any supplies needed and or needed repairs. You will then submit them to me. Roy, from now on, we only do one supply run a shift."

"Agreed." Roy acknowledged. "That will save hospital time and our feul."

"Speaking of fuel, Roy, from now on, we will carry two cans of fuel on board the squad. This is so if we get alot of runs, we can fill up on the spot. Also, cap, has that reel line arrived from supply yet?" Johnny asked.

"It just came in." Hammer replied.

"Great. The squad will have a reel line to get a jump on fires until the engine arrives." Johnny announced.

"Great idea, Johnny." Cap nodded.

"Okay, that's it. Let's make this work, okay?" Johnny grinned.

*

After the rest of the crew scattered, Roy approached Cap.

"Cap, are you sure this is a good idea?" Roy worried. "I don't think we should encourage Johnny this way."

"If this keeps him quiet and out of trouble, then why shouldn't we let him try his plan?" Hammer replied. "I think John has some good ideas."

"Like what? Us riding to calls in our underwear?" Roy asked. "Us eating off paper plates and eating frozen dinners? Cap, this crew deserves better then that!"

"Are you questioning the judgment of a superior officer?" Hammer demanded. "Roy, this is Johnny's experiment and we will go along, understood?"

"Yes, Sir." Roy sighed. "I just want you to know that I don't agree with any of this."

"Noted." Hammer replied. "Roy, be flexible for once. Try something new for a change. Who knows? This might work."

With that, Cap went to his office to fill out reports.

"Captain Hammer, all the paper work is caught up, Sir!" Johnny barked, coming to attention.

"How?" A shocked Cap asked.

"I came in a six this morning, Sir! The forms aren't that hard!" Johnny barked.

"At ease, Gage." Hammer said. "Have a seat, John."

Johnny sat down in a chair opposite Cap.

"You're really fired up about this plan aren't you?" Hammer asked Johnny.

"Yeah, Cap." Johnny replied. "I'm already sensing that Roy is against this."

"You know how he is. Anything new scares him." Hammer smiled. "Johnny, I know Roy already asked you this, but now, you can be honest with me. Do you think that your constant losses at cards may be because someone here cheated or rigged the games?"

"That thought has crossed my mind." Johnny admitted. "The problem is, I can't picture anyone on this shift doing that."

"Neither can I." Hammer agreed. "It does trouble me that you've been stuck with the dishes that many times in a row, however. It also bothers me that you lost at a game that you created, John. I've played cards with you off-duty and I know you're not that lousy at card games."

"And I wouldn't throw any game for anyone." Johnny added. "But why would anyone purposely stick me with the dishes?"

"Because, this person may not want the responsibility." Hammer replied. "Who in your mind, would be reluctant to do their fair share of the work?"

"Roy." Johnny replied. "Cap, he's my best friend! He wouldn't do that to me!"

"Can you be sure?" Hammer insisted. "John, you saw his face when you told him he had latrine duty for eight shifts."

"He didn't look too happy, that's for sure." Johnny agreed. "Cap, what if we played my game again, but with a brand new deck of cards?"

"We could be sure if you won that someone is cheating." Cap realized.

"Okay, how bout my place, tomorrow night at seven?" Johnny suggested.

"Perfect." Cap smiled.

"I think I'll invite Dixie McCall to join us, that way, we'll have someone who can look at things with an objective eye. She's never played my game and nothing gets past her. It's like she has eyes in the back of her head." Johnny stated.

"That's a great idea." Cap nodded. "If anyone can spot anything sneaky, it's her."

*

After Johnny left the office, Cap stuck his head through the door.

"DeSoto, see you a minute?" Cap Hammer requested.

"Yes, Sir." Roy replied, going to the office and shutting the door.

"DeSoto, I think someone cheated Johnny into doing dishes." Cap began as Roy snapped to.

"It wasn't me, Sir!" Roy barked.

"Well, I don't believe you!" Hammer yelled. "I think you cheated at the card games!"

"Cap, I didn't!" Roy insisted. "I'd never do that to John!"

"Wouldn't you? I seem to recall that you didn't exactly seem to lift a finger to help John with the dishes!" Hammer hissed. "Roy, in my eyes, you're guilty!"

"Sir, I didn't do it!" Roy sobbed.

"Roy, someone did and you're the likely guilty." Johnny said, coming back in. "I'm a good card player."

"I can't believe you'd think I'd do that!" Roy yelled.

"Then how come I lost at my own card game?!" Johnny demanded. "I shouldn't have lost at a game I made up!?"

"That's right, Roy." Mike Stoker said as the rest of the crew entered the office. "Johnny should not have lost at his own game and been stuck with the dishes that many times!"

"Guys, you have to believe me!" Roy pleaded.

"Roy, we all know how you hate doing any work!" Cap insisted. "You leave poor Johnny to do it all! I'm sorry, Roy, as much as it pains me to do this, I'm gonna have to relieve you of duty pending an investigation. As of now, you are suspended, indefinitely without pay."

"Fine!" Roy sobbed, handing over his badge.

All watched as Roy left for the lockeroom, changed into his street clothes, got his stuff and left the station.

*

The next day, Johnny paid a visit to the DeSoto home. He was relieved to find Roy not there. Joanne greeted Johnny and led him inside.

"Jo, this wasn't my idea." Johnny told Roy's wife.

"Johnny, I know. Something's wrong at station fifty-one. I'm apt to agree with you guys." Jo replied. "Roy has cheated at card games before. I'm the one that called Captain Hammer."

"Why, Jo?" Johnny asked.

"Johnny, I think you were taken advantage of." Jo said. "I think Roy is the one that did it."

"Where is Roy now?" Johnny asked.

"Who knows? I threw that bum out a few days ago. Johnny, I'm just so tired of Roy's attitude!"

"What do you mean?" Johnny asked.

"Roy won't help in the house. I just want him to do his fair share." Joanne explained.

"You mean, he won't help with household chores?" Johnny asked.

"Johnny, getting him to do anything around here was like pulling teeth." Jo answered. "Roy is lazy and worthless."

"Jo, maybe Roy just thinks a man should be a breadwinner He may think that the home is woman's domain." Johnny soothed. "Maybe that's the way he was raised."

"Johnny, maybe you could talk to him." Joanne suggested. "You always seem to be able to reach him."

"Do you know where he is?" Johnny asked.

"He's probably at headquarters, appealing his suspension." Jo guessed.

A few minutes later, Johnny met Roy as he was leaving headquarters.

"The suspension's been upheld." Roy hissed at Johnny. "I have nothing now, thanks to my so-called friends! No job, no wife, no home!"

"Cap had to do what was best for the station." Johnny told Roy. "Roy, what would you do in his place?"

"He was judge, jury and executioner!" Roy sobbed. "He didn't care about what I said!"

"Roy, I'm sorry, but I think Cap acted properly. I'm not sure I believe you myself. You can find another job and a place to stay until your suspension's up." Johnny offered.. "In the meantime, I hope you'll grow a little and learn to do your part."

With that, Johnny walked to his Land Rover, leaving Roy to ponder his future.

*

Two days after that meeting, Chief Houst came to station fifty-one for a meeting with Johnny and Cap. They met in Cap's office.

"Captain Hammer, do you honestly believe that DeSoto took advantage of Gage?" The Chief asked.

"Sir, the evidence points to it." Cap replied. "Roy has always left Johnny to do most of the work, both at rescues and at the station. He never seems to want to help John."

"Did Gage not know the rules when the card game started?" Houst asked.

"Yes, Sir, he did." Cap replied.

"Fireman Gage, you knew the rules going in, didn't you?" The Chief asked.

"Yes, Sir." Johnny nodded.

"Gage, I think you're just a sore loser! You can't stand the fact that you're a lousy card player and are scapegoating DeSoto cause you don't wanna do your share, aren't you?" The Chief asked.

"No, Sir!" Johnny growled. "Chief, I lost at a game I invented!"

"Because you're just plain dumb!" The Chief yelled in Johnny's face. "You're dumber then the station's mascot!"

Johnny paled at the Chief's words, then got up and stormed out back, slamming the back door behind him.

"Chief, did you have to hurt him like that?" Cap Hammer asked.

"Captain, Gage asks for everything he gets." The Chief replied. "I don't apologize for that! He lets people walk all over him, then comes squealing to us when he doesn't get his way. I think he lost those games, fair and square, he just can't accept that and is taking his anger out on DeSoto."

"What do you want me to do, Chief?" Hammer asked.

"Captain, these are your men. Deal with them as you wish." Houst replied, getting up to leave.

Cap came to attention and saluted his boss. The Chief returned the salute and left the station. Cap then went to find Johnny. Going out back, Hammer found Johnny, crying on the stoop.

"Johnny, you are not a dummy." Cap Hammer soothed, sitting down next to the young Paramedic. "If anyone's the dummy, it's me."

"Cap?" Johnny asked.

"Roy didn't take advantage, I did by placing you at an unfair disadvantage. Hell, I was changing the games left and right and not giving you a chance to learn the rules." Cap explained. Not only that, I wasn't making sure that Roy and the others did their fair share. You were being picked on and I let it happen."

"Cap, maybe the Chief was right too, I was being a poor sport. For any station to function, everyone has to pitch in." Johnny replied. "Cap, we have to find a way to fairly divide the chores."

"You're labor officer, John. Any ideas?" Cap asked.

"Yes. First, no more card games. That is not a fair way to run a station." Johnny replied.

"Agreed." Cap Hammer smiled.

*

Two days later, Roy was back on duty at 51's. As he and Johnny changed before their shift in the lockeroom, Johnny spoke,

"Roy, I'm sorry I got you in trouble." Johnny began. "I was a sore loser and took it out on you."

"John, what happened was not your fault. Jo's the one who sat me up." Roy comforted his friend. "She's resented both you and my job for a long time."

"Why? What did I do?" Johnny asked.

"It wasn't anything you did, Johnny, it was the fact that I was rarely home. This job makes a home life hell. Jo never had a husband, nor the kids a father. I was just someone who stopped by to change his shirt and shave between shifts. There was no life for me outside this. All work and no play is what I was." Roy explained.

"Roy, is there anything I can do?" A concerned Johnny asked.

"Can you put me up for awhile, Junior?" Roy pleaded. "Joanne threw me out."

"Sure, Pally." Johnny grinned.

"What am I gonna do?" Roy asked, sobs overtaking him. "Joanne served me with divorce papers yesterday!"

"Roy, I'm sorry to hear that." Johnny replied, going over and gathering his partner in his arms.

"Do you have any idea what a broken heart feels like?!" Roy sobbed. "Johnny, It's just so damn unfair!"

"Life is unfair, My friend." Johnny soothed. "Is Jo leaving you because of your job?"

"She states irreconcilable differences." Roy sniffed. "Just a fancy word for good-bye! Johnny, take my advice and don't get married! It ain't worth it!"

"Roy, I know you're hurting now, but you will love again. Maybe not Jo, but you will love again. One day, you'll find the right woman for you." Johnny said. "I've been dumped enough to know."

"How do you do it?" Roy asked. "How do you go from one rejection to another without missing a beat?"

"Roy, I can't say it doesn't hurt when I'm dumped, but I try to learn something from each rejection about myself." Johnny replied.

"I sure learned from this!" Roy sniffed. "I leaned you can't take those you love for granted. One minute, I had a wife and kids, the next, they're gone because they got tired of waiting on me to be there, not that I blame them. Johnny, I failed my family!"

"Roy, I can't tell you how sorry I am about you and Joanne." Johnny offered. "I'll put you up for as long as you need. Are you sure you can work with all this going on?"

"Johnny, my job is all I have now." Roy sniffed. "My wife and kids are gone, all because of my workaholic attitude."

"Roy, you still have me and the guys." John soothed. "You'll have our support."

"Thanks, Junior." Roy sniffed.

"Anytime." Johnny grinned. "Let's get to work, huh?"

"Speaking of, have you resolved the labor problems around here?" Roy asked his partner.

"No, and it's really getting ugly." Johnny shook his head. "Last shift the guys refused to eat the frozen dinners."

"Johnny, those do get old. Take it from me." Roy laughed. "Johnny, the whole idea of the home cooked meals were so that the crew feels like they're at home, with family."

"I was only trying to make things better." Johnny shook his dark head.

"How? By taking away the only comforts these guys have?" Roy countered. "By taking away the responsibilities the guys need? Johnny, while we're on duty, this station is our home. We have to care for it just as we would our own homes."

A second later, Captain Hammer stormed in.

"Gage! Go take a look out there!" Hammer demanded. "This station is a shambles, thanks to you!"

A startled Johnny ran from the lockeroom and was immediate confronted by a huge mess.

"What the hell?!" John exclaimed, looking around at the trashed station.

Johnny was shocked at the overflowing trash cans and toilets in the latrine as well as the unmade beds in the dorm. The only neat room in the station was Cap's office.

"Are you happy now, Johnny?" Roy asked as he walked up beside the young man. "Is this what you wanted?"

"Roy, you think this is bad, go take a look at the squad and engine!" Cap suggested.

Roy was shocked as he saw the disarray in the apparatus bay.

"Johnny!" Roy bellowed.

"Roy?" A nervous John asked, running into the bay.

"Fireman Gage, how can you expect us to fight fires or save lives in dirty vehicles and with no equipment and supplies?" Roy demanded. "How can an engine function with no hose? The squad with it's equipment missing? Huh?"

"Guys, I'm sorry." Johnny said, hanging his head. "I screwed up again."

"How do you intend to fix this?" Cap wondered.

Johnny looked around the messy station, then back at Roy and the rest. He then handed his badge to Hammer, then left the station before anyone could react.

"Cap?" Roy asked.

"Go ahead, Roy." Cap sighed. "We can't do anything with this mess anyway."

Cap Hammer turned and made his way to the station's radio.

"LA, station 51 out of service." Cap reported as Roy left the station to go after Johnny.

 __________

As Roy rushed outside, Johnny was getting in his Land Rover.

"Johnny, wait!" Roy hollered. "Don't go!"

As John was about to start the motor, Roy took the keys from the ignition.

"Johnny, I'm sorry. I know you meant well." Roy said, "Let's go back inside and talk about this."

"What's there to discuss? I screwed up again." Johnny told his best friend. "No matter how good my intentions, something always goes wrong."

"I'm not letting you leave this way." Roy insisted, getting in the truck next to John. "Your heart was in the right place."

"Then why is the station a mess?" Johnny countered.

"Because, you left the division of labor up to too many people." Roy explained. "You were giving them too much freedom."

"When the cat's away-" Johnny began, only to trail off.

"Exactly." Roy answered. "Even though those guys in there are adults, they need direction and guidance or nothing gets done. That;s what the Captain's for and you as labor officer are for. It's your responsibility to make sure that everyone pitches in and does their share."

"I think I know what I have to do." Johnny smiled, evilly.

_______

Minutes later, Johnny had organized a work detail.

"Everything under control, John?" Cap Hammer asked.

"Yes, Sir. You got those hoses hung?" Johnny replied.

"Yep, and the engine hose loaded too." Cap Hammer replied.

"They why don't you go help Mike and Marco in the latrine?" Johnny suggested.

"You're the boss." Cap smiled, then walked away toward the latrine.

"Roy, how are those floors coming?" Johnny called to his partner loud enough to be heard over the floor buffer.

"They're coming along!" Roy shouted back as he fell for the umpteenth time. "Do these floors have to be so slick?!"

Johnny chuckled as Chief Houst arrived for a visit.

"Ah, getting everything up to standards I see." The Chief smiled. "Gage, I want to apologize for what I said the other day."

"Sir, there is no need." Johnny smiled. "I was wrong. I was a poor sport and a sore loser. I was acting stupid. The card games may not have been fair, but I knew the rules and the consequences if I lost."

"I was wrong to say those things about you too." Chief Houst. "You should not have been stuck with the dishes sixteen times in a row. That was unfair."

"Johnny, we're ready to go back in service." Cap Hammer reported as Roy fell again.

Johnny grew concerned when Roy didn't get right back up. Johnny and Chief Houst made their way over to Roy.

"You okay?" Johnny asked.

"Johnny, I think I just broke my leg." Roy hissed, holding his right knee.

 

END PART 8: Fair Play