Copyright: July 2002 by Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PRE-EXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Catching Hell

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Fandom: Emergency!

Summary: Roy is under pressure when people start complaining about Johnny's peskiness and nuisance behavior in this response to the "Decisive manner" challenge

Content Warning: Harsh Language. Graphic violence

 

Catching Hell
by Robin R. Neher


"DeSoto, I've got a major bone to pick with you!" Captain Hank Stanley informed the senior Paramedic on A-Shift. "I've been fielding alot of calls over the last few days from some very irate people!"

"Oh?" Roy DeSoto asked. "What about?"

"What else?! Gage!" Hank answered. "Roy, Johnny is getting to be a real nuisance!"

"What do you what me to do?" Roy asked. "I'm Johnny's partner, not his keeper."

"Roy, I'm catching hell from Dixie McCall to Chief McConnikee due to that partner of yours! You're his best friend, do something about Gage!" Cap ordered, then stormed back into his office, slamming the door as he went.

Oh boy. Roy thought. This is gonna be one of those shifts.

Roy went to change in the station's lockeroom. Upon arrival there, Roy encountered Craig Brice.

"Brice." Roy greeted.

"DeSoto, I'm not too happy with you right now." Paramedic Craig Brice informed him as he buttoned his workshirt.

"I know, Johnny." Roy guessed. "I take it the two weeks while I was on vacation did not go well."

"DeSoto, just what kind of training officer are you?!" The bi-specticled medic demanded.

"Tell me what happened." Roy sighed.

"It was two weeks of pure hell." Brice informed Roy. "Gage whined and complained about anything and everything. Nothing was ever right with him! Nothing I did was right! All I got out of two weeks with Gage is a migraine and an ulcer!"

*

The complaints about Johnny piled up as Roy and Brice arrived at Rampart for supplies after roll call at the station.

"Dix, how's Johnny this morning?" Roy asked the emergency room's head nurse, Dixie McCall.

"Why don't you ask Johnny?" Dix replied, coolly. "I'm sure he's home by now."

"What does that mean?" Roy wanted to know.

"I sent him home with Brackett's blessing." Dix answered. "Roy, I can't have him harassing my nurses or other female staff members here."

"I get it." Roy nodded. "He put his hand up a nurse's skirt."

"Yeah, Mine." Dix scowled. "He did it while I was helping him out of bed a little while ago."

"What did you do?" Roy asked.

"I told him that if he ever tried that again, I'd make sure he'd never use his hands again." Dixie deadpanned. "Then, to make sure he got the message, I bit him on his penis, hard."

"Ouch!" Roy winced.

"My nurses said they heard him scream all the way down the hall." Dix smiled. "Roy, I enjoyed every moment of it. Anyway, talk to him, will you?"

"I will." Roy promised. "How is he physically?"

"He should be back on duty next shift." Dr. Kelly Brackett assured Roy and the rest. "Roy, you have to do something or next time, Johnny won't get away with just a concussion. The next time he says or does the wrong thing, the person he does it to may have a gun, knife or even a baseball bat. Get my meaning?"

"Loud and clear." Roy nodded.

*
"Brice, why should I be the one to deal with Johnny?" Roy wondered. "Why not Cap?"

"DeSoto, you are the one who works the closest with Gage and as senior Paramedic on A-shift, it is your responsibility to act if John fails to conduct himself properly. You also owe it to him as his best friend to say something to him." Brice replied as he and Roy were on the way back to 51's.

"Johnny is an adult." Roy reminded Brice.

"Roy, you only contribute if you make nice all the time. You can't be afraid to get tough with Gage. The same goes for everyone else at the station and at Rampart. You gotta step up to the plate, DeSoto, be a man."

"Are you implying that I'm not?!" Roy demanded.

"If the shoe fits." Craig shrugged as the three familiar beeps sounded over the squad's radio, followed by SCU alert tones.

Engine 51, squad 51, unknown type rescue. 2154 Adrian Ave. 2154 Adrian Ave. Crosstreet: Danko. Time: 08:30.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Brice responded as Roy turned on the squad's lights and sirens.

Engine 51, KMG-365. Cap's voice came over the radio.

Brice and Roy were first on scene with the engine arriving shortly after.

Going inside the house, Brice, Roy and Cap found an empty flop house. Cap got out his HT.

"LA, engine 51! Can we have a verification on the address of our incident?!" Hank angrily requested.

Stand by, engine 51. Sam returned.

"Watch out. There could be dirty syringes laying around." Roy warned.

Engine 51. Sam's voice came over the HT in Hank's hand.

"Engine 51." Hank replied.

Engine 51, the corrected address is 3154 Adrian Ave. Sam Lanier advised. Original timeout: 08:30.

"Engine 51, 10-4." Cap sighed. "Respond police to this location, please."

10-4, engine 51. Dispatch acknowledged.

"Let's roll." Cap instructed his crew as they ran back out to the trucks.

"As soon as we get back to the station, I'm taking a shower!" Chet commented as Mike Stoker guided the engine away from the house behind the squad.

"No kidding!" Cap agreed.

*

An hour later, the squad and engine were back at station 51 and chores got done. As soon as Roy completed his inventory of air bottles, he went to the rec room to think.

"Roy." Cap greeted. "Problem?"

"Sort of." Roy replied. "You were right about Johnny and the complaints. He got kicked out of Rampart this morning. He put his hand up Dixie's dress. She bit his penis, hard."

"See what I mean?" Hank asked.

"Yeah." Roy nodded. "Trouble is, he's my best friend."

"Roy, being a good friend means being firm and saying no at times." Hank said. "You aren't doing him any favors by standing by and letting him run roughshod over people."

"I know." Roy nodded. "I know he's been quite a pest as of late. Chet was humiliated in public thanks to that."

"The guys are still sore over that game." Hank told Roy. "Does Gage not know what no means?"

"I wonder that too." Roy agreed. "I wonder if no's even in his vocabulary?"

*
Two days later, Roy arrived for his shift at station fifty-one to find Johnny, sitting on the lockeroom bench, looking depressed.

"Hi," Roy greeted the dark haired man.

"Morning." Johnny mumbled.

"You okay?" Roy asked.

"I'm fine." Johnny muttered.

"You don't sound fine." Roy probed. "Is that blood I see on your lip?"

"Roy, please, I don't wanna talk about it!" Johnny hissed.

"Okay." Roy nodded, understandingly, then opened his locker so he could change into uniform. "How'd you get that shiner on your eye?"

"Tell him, John." Hank encouraged. "We all wanna hear what happened at the club the other night."

"What are you talking about?" Roy wanted to know.

"I got beat up by a girl, okay?!" Johnny exploded. "There, I said it! I was beaten to a pulp by a woman! Are all of you satisfied?!"

Johnny's eyes flashed with anger as Chet and the others started to snicker. The snickers and titters then turned into full blown laughter. The only ones who weren't laughing were Roy and Cap.

"That's enough!" Hank yelled.

Chet and the others stopped laughing as their boss glared at them.

"Real mature, Guys!" Hank hollered. "What is this?! A high school lockeroom?!"

"Johnny, let's go in the kitchen, Okay?" Roy suggested.

Johnny followed his partner from the lockeroom. Once they were gone, Hank really let the remaining crew have it.

"You no good Sons of Bitches!" Hank hissed. "Is this how you treat a man who'd risk his life to save yours, no questions asked?! I think I understand why Gage acts as he does sometimes now! All he gets is laughed at and put down by people who are supposed to be his friends! Add to that, being as skinny as he is! No wonder he acts as he does! He's shy and awkward around people!"

"So?" Chet asked.

"Chet, what Cap is saying is that John is so shy that he overcompensates for those feelings by doing things he shouldn't and by acting in ways that you all perceive as his being a pain in the rear." Joanne DeSoto spoke up. "Captain, I'm sorry to interrupt."

"Not at all. What can we do for you, Joanne?" Hank smiled.

"I'd like to talk to Johnny if I may." Roy's wife requested. "Where is he?"

"In the kitchen with your husband." Hank replied.

"Guys, I want you to do something for me." Jo requested. "I want you to go into the latrine and strip. I want you guys completely naked."

"You heard her! Move!" Hank ordered.

The engine crew obeyed without protest. Cap went to the base radio and stood engine 51 down for two hours. He then joined the crew in the latrine. Once all were naked, Joanne looked them over.

"A fine bunch of specimens you are." Joanne licked her lips. "Roy, Johnny, come in here!"

The Paramedics came in and gasped at the sight before them.

"Honey, what's going on here?" Roy stammered, blushing beet red. "You're not looking to replace me, are you?"

"No, Hon." Jo gently assured him. "I'm conducting an experiment of sorts. Captain Stanley, front and center."

A nude Hank stepped forward as Jo handed Johnny a pad of paper and a pen.

"Johnny, if you were a woman and met Cap in a bar, would you find him attractive?" Jo asked.

Roy quickly pulled his wife into the kitchen.

"Jo, what the hell are you doing?!" Roy demanded. "Why are the engine crew standing in the apparatus bay in their birthday suits?!"

"Roy, I want them to see what it's like to be vulnerable and awkward the way Johnny is everyday." Joanne explained. "I want them to experience a taste of what Johnny went through after that beating."

"Oh, I get it." Roy smiled his understanding. "Let's get back out there."

As Roy and Joanne rejoined the others in the bay, the tones went off.

Station 8, squad 51, gas leak. 2267 Bogart St. 2267 Bogart St. Crosstreet: 4th. Timeout: 08:15.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Roy acknowledged, then got behind the wheel of the squad.

As Roy and John rolled out, the Battalion Chief's car arrived at the station.

"Are they ever in trouble now." Johnny remarked to Roy.

"They're gonna have a hell of a time explaining themselves." Roy laughed as they sped away, lights and sirens full blast.

*

At Rampart hospital, another plan was being hatched for a certain Paramedic.

"Gage." One nurse shook her head. "I wish someone would knock some sense into that so called man. He just never learns."

"Of course not." Another replied. "He's never been pestered for a date or groped. He doesn't understand how it feels."

"I don't think he appreciates us nurses at all." A student nurse piped up.

"He doesn't." Another student nurse agreed. "Gage and DeSoto only had to train three months to be Paramedics. We have to train for four years to be nurses. They don't have to put in the hours we do, nor are they on their feet all day long."

"Eunice, what's your plan?" The first student asked the first nurse.

"Simple, we boycott Gage, DeSoto and squad 51. We make it clear they aren't welcome here anymore."

"But we're the closest hospital to their station." The second student fretted.

"What about Dixie?" A nurse asked. "She's not gonna like this. Gage and DeSoto are her favorite Paramedics."

"That's why she must never know about this." Eunice snickered. "She's gone to San Francisco for two weeks to visit her mother anyway. So, she can't do anything about it."

"No, but I can." Dr. Joe Early told them.

"Doctor, we can explain." Eunice stammered.

"Let's hear it then." Early directed.

*

"Okay, Stanley, let's have it!" Chief McConnikee ordered. "Why were you and your men naked in the apparatus bay?!"

"Sir, We didn't know that you'd be coming." Cap stammered. "It won't happen again, Chief."

"Damn right it won't!" McConnikee bellowed. "As of now, you and your crew, with the exception of Gage and DeSoto, are on report! There's no excuse for this, Captain!"

"Yes, Sir. I mean, no, Sir." Hank stammered.

"Hank, stop your stuttering!" The Chief ordered, annoyed. "As for the rest of you, I want to see you in dress uniform in five minutes! Move out!"

The crew all scrambled to carry out McConnikee's orders. As they did, Joanne approached him.

"Chief, it was my idea." Joanne told him. "Don't be too hard of the fellas."

"Mrs. DeSoto, this is a fire station. The men that work here, including your husband, must be ready and able to roll out at anytime." The Chief told her. "What you did just may have cost someone their property or maybe their lives."

"Yes, Sir." Joanne replied.

"We cannot afford to have any piece of equipment or it's crew unavailable for any length of time." McConnikee finished.

"Yes, Sir, I apologize." Joanne replied as the squad arrived back at the station.

As John and Roy exited the squad, they snapped to.

"At ease." McConikee ordered.

At this time, the engine crew came in and lined up according to rank in front of the Chief, their dress uniforms neat and clean.

"Look sharp, Men!" The Chief boomed as he looked them over. "You've all just volunteered to become department representatives at schools, fairs, etc. You all are gonna be out in the community, providing information on careers in the fire service. Captain, I want you and your men out on engine 51 in dress uniform, being goodwill ambassadors for the department."

"As for you, Gage and DeSoto, as of now, you guys are on unpaid overtime duty til further notice." McConnikee told the Paramedics.

"But, Sir, I have a family!" Roy protested.

"I'm sorry, DeSoto, but with all the complaints about Gage, I'm inclined to believe that something was overlooked during his training process that needs to be corrected, by you." The Chief replied. "Mrs. DeSoto, you can visit your husband here on weekends and bring him whatever necessities he may need."

Joanne nodded, then kissed Roy.

"Don't worry, Hon. The kids and I will be fine." Jo assured him, then left the station.

"I'm sorry, Pally. I didn't mean-" Johnny stammered.

"No, the fault is mine." Roy told him.

"Gage, maybe by not being paid for awhile, you'll remember what the service in fire service is supposed to mean." The Chief said. "Being a fireman is not a right, it's a privilege. Think about it."

With that, the Chief bade his farewell and left as did the engine crew shortly after for their first visit to a school. Johnny then turned to his partner.

"Roy, I didn't mean to get you in trouble." Johnny said, then left for the dorm.

*

As the first day of the unpaid duty passed, Johnny pretty much stayed to himself in the dorm. This had Roy very concerned.

"Gage is taking this whole thing pretty hard." B-Shift Captain Hookrader noticed.

"I think he feels responsible for getting me and the others on the hot seat with the Chief." Roy replied, sullenly.

"He is responsible in a way." Hookrader replied. "So are you, Miss McCall and everyone else that has not had the guts to talk to Gage about his behavior."

"Now wait a minute, Cap!" Roy jumped up.

"DeSoto, Cap's right." B-shift fireman Ken Andrews soothed. "You claim to be his best friend, what kind of a friend are you to not to say something to Gage when he's being a pest or roping you into doing something you don't wanna? Tell me that."

"Okay, but where does Roy's responsibility end and Gage's start?" Asked Engineer Wally Sanders. "It seems like Roy's getting the heat unfairly for what Johnny does. If people have a problem with Gage, they should take it up with him, not Roy."

"You're right, Sanders." Hookrader agreed. "Gage needs to be held accountable for his actions."

As the guys continued talking, the tones went off.

Engine 51, squad 36, Auto accident with people trapped. At the corner of 12th and Vine. 12th and Vine. Police are responding. Timeout: 11:20.

"Engine 51, KMG-365." Hookrader responded as the crew boarded the truck. As the engine rolled out, Johnny came in from the dorm.

"You okay?" Roy asked.

"If there were complaints, why didn't the Chief or Stanley come to me?" Johnny asked.

*

"You've been catching hell from all sides on the count of me." Johnny realized. "I never thought you'd get in trouble cause of me."

"Johnny, we're a team, in the squad or at Rampart." Roy told him. "If one takes heat, we both take heat."

As Johnny went to reply, the phone rang.

"Station 51, Fireman DeSoto." Roy answered.

Johnny waited patiently as Roy talked to whoever was calling. A few minutes later, Roy hung up,

"Johnny, the acting head nurse wants to see you, right now. Alone." Roy informed him.

"Betty?" Johnny asked.

"Carol Williams." Roy replied.

"You stay here, Roy. I'll go alone." Johnny offered. "I'll take my truck."

"You sure?" Roy asked.

"I can take my own lumps, Pally." Johnny grinned.

*

Several minutes later, Johnny arrived solo at Rampart in his Land Rover. He was determined that whatever was about to happen once he got inside that he'd face it without Roy.

Entering through the double doors, he made his way to the nurse's station.

"Ah, Johnny Gage." Nurse Carol Williams remarked. "Just the man I wanna see."

"Here as requested." John replied.

"Where's Roy?" Carol wondered.

"I left him at the station. I gather this is just between us?" Johnny guessed.

Carol nodded.

"Let's go in Kel's office. He's in surgery, so he won't mind if we use it." She said.

Johnny followed the dark haired woman into the empty office.

"Shut the door." Carol requested.

Johnny did so and sat down in a chair as did Carol.

"Johnny, I know that you, Roy and Dixie are close friends, but for the next two weeks, I'm head nurse here and as such, I feel we need to have this talk." Carol began.

"I think I know what this is about." Johnny said.

"You do, Huh?" Carol replied.

"I think I do." John nodded. "It goes something like, this is a hospital, not a dating service. Am I right?"

"So far." Carol answered. "Johnny, I know that you're single and like most single guys, your mind is on pretty girls. The trouble is that you cross the line over and over again. You interfere with nurses that are simply trying to do their jobs. They're here to work, not be a Paramedic's personal harem."

Johnny hung his head at those words.

"Is that what you think I act like? A pimp?" Johnny asked, afraid of the answer.

"Truthfully, yes." Carol told him. "I think that that's how you see women. As hookers, there to pleasure John Gage. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. You wouldn't want anything less, would you?"

"No." Johnny answered. "Have nurses complained?"

"Yes, and some have quit." Carol told him. "They've left because you were always in their faces for a date."

"Dix never said word one about it." John gasped.

"She didn't have the heart to tell you. She thought that you'd be hurt if she told you." Carol replied.

"I must admit to being stunned." Johnny told her. "I never meant-"

"I know." Carol nodded. "I know that you don't do it on purpose."

Johnny rose to his feet and began to pace.

"I'm an ass!" Johnny declared. "I'm an ass, plain and simple!"

*

TWO WEEKS LATER...................

Dixie was back from vacation and none too happy about what Carol had done in her absence.

"Dix, somebody had to confront him!" Carol explained as she sat across the table from her boss in the break room.

"You called him a pimp!" Dixie accused. "You called one of the best Paramedics in LA County a criminal! Is that what you think he is?!"

"Dix, he's just short of stalking right now!" Carol told her. "It's only a matter of time before some nurse complains that he assaulted her or worse! You need to quit making eyes at Gage and DeSoto and start protecting these nurses!"

With that, Carol finished her coffee, got up and went back to work. Dixie followed shortly after and made her way into a darkened hospital room where her favorite patient lay injured.

"Johnny?" Dix whispered.

"Who is it?" The young man asked, his voice full of a fear that the head nurse had never before heard.

"It's Dixie." Dix gently replied. "Can I open the curtains? It's awful dark in here."

"Okay." Johnny consented after a minute.

Dix opened the drapes and was shocked by what she saw. Johnny Gage's face was bruised in several places. His nose was broken and there was a cut on his forehead, covered by a dressing.

"Someone decided to do some cosmetic improvements of my face." Johnny joked

"They sure did a lousy job." Dix noted as she sat beside Johnny on the bed. "Who did this to you?"

"I'll just say that Carol was right." Johnny told Dix. "Brackett and Roy too. I finally asked the wrong woman for a date and paid dearly for it."

"Jealous husband?" Dix guessed.

Johnny nodded.

"One minute, I was just sitting at a bar, having a beer with this lady, the next, I was in a world of pain." He told the head nurse. "The most damaged area is between my legs. The guy stabbed me in my manhood."

"Ouch!" Dix winced. "I can see why you won't let my nurses near you now."

"And risk another hubby gunning for me? I'm already on one too many hit lists, thank you." Johnny winced.

"I hear you and Carol had a talk while I was gone." Dix remarked. "Johnny, I want to apologize. What Carol said was out of line."

"Don't worry about it." Johnny soothed. "She was right. How come you didn't come to me about it?"

"I guess I could never figure out how to do it without hurting your feelings." Dix answered. "Carol had no right to confront you as she did either, nor did she have the authority."

"Dix, better yet, why didn't you come to me?" Hank Stanley asked, coming into the room. "Or Chief McConnikee?"

"I guess I thought that Johnny would realize himself that he was going too far." Dix replied. "Besides, he was behaving the way most single men do."

"Dix, most single men I know don't act the way I do." Johnny said. "I apologize if I cost you some people."

"John, I'm gonna tell you something." Cap said. "When you are on duty, I expect you to conduct yourself in a manner becoming a Los Angeles County firefighter. You represent not only the county, but the department in uniform. If you can't do that, then maybe you should consider a different line of work."

"Captain, how do your men treat each other in the station?" Dix wondered.

"What do you mean?" Hank prompted.

"How do they act around each other?" Dix elaborated.

"Dixie, most firestations are huge lockerooms!" A familiar voice piped up. "Station 51 is a boy's club! When I was there as a trainee, there was so much mutual backslapping and fourth grade horseplay that it's a wonder that those men can respond to calls at all!"

"Karen, I'll admit that some things happened while you were there that shouldnt've." Cap explained to Paramedic Karen Overstreet.

"Just what did happen?" Dix wanted to know.

"It was basically five men behaving like schoolboys and a Captain who's main goal in life is to please McConnikee!" Karen answered. "The Captain is more of a mouse than a man! It's no wonder Gage behaves as he does! John, I'm here to invite you to transfer to the station where I work for a while. I'll just bet that after some shifts there, you'll change your tune."

"I accept." Johnny answered.

Three weeks later, Johnny reported for duty at station 202 in Redding, California as part of an exchange program suggested by Captain Stanley. As he looked around his new surroundings, he realized he wasn't in LA anymore. As he entered the station, he got a big shock.

"Fireman Gage?!" A female voice boomed.

Johnny turned around and faced a muscular woman of about 5'8. Her blonde hair was closely cropped and she wore a scowl as she looked the Paremedic over.

"Don't you know that you're supposed to report to the Captain as soon as you arrive at your new station?!" The woman demanded.

"I just got here!" Johnny replied, quickly snapping to attention.

"Is this how they train you in Carson?!" The woman asked of John. "Their rules must be lax if they allow that mop you call hair!"

"Now, wait just a-" Johnny began.

"Fireman Gage, shut up!" The woman yelled. "You're not at station 51 now and you aren't the boss here, got it?!"

Johnny nodded. It was then he realized that he had to rethink the way he operated or he'd be in big trouble at this new station.

"Now, Captain Murray wants to see you. I'm Lt. Alice Waxman, second in command here. Welcome to Redding and station 202."

"Thank you." Johnny nervously replied. "Look, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone!"

"I know." Alice nodded. "John, the rules here are simple. You be nice to us, we'll be nice to you. This way, please."

Johnny followed as the Lieutenant led him into quarters separate from the dorm where the others slept.

"If you haven't figured it out by now, this station is staffed by women." Waxman told Johnny. "We are the only station in California that is at this time."

"Now I know how Karen Overstreet felt." Johnny grinned wryly.

"Not so easy, is it?" A woman in her fifties smiled. "I'll take over now, Alice."

Alice nodded and went to rejoin her colleagues.

"John Gage." Johnny introduced himself to the newcomer.

"Captain Pamela Murray." The 5'4 woman with gray hair smiled. "Call me Pam."

"Johnny." Johnny grinned.

"Karen had alot of good things to say about you, Johnny." Pam said. "Your colleagues, however, she was not so impressed with."

"I know why." Johnny said. "They didn't exactly put their best foot forward, neither did I. We were kind of ambushed by her. We had no idea she was a woman til she showed up."

"I know." Pam nodded. "I don't think she was prepared either to be in a station full of men. She did take alot of flack."

"I tried to apologize, so did my partner, Roy." Johnny told Pam.

"I know that too." Pam replied. "I wanted you in particular for a reason for the exchange. Karen tells me that you tend to cause trouble for the nurses at Rampart."

"What did she say?" Johnny asked.

"She said that some nurses there have quit over you." Pam replied.

"I never meant to do that." John responded, hanging his head. "I never mean to hurt or embarrass anyone."

"I know you don't." Pam soothed, raising his head. "Roy knows that too."

"You talked to him?" Johnny gasped.

"He knows you best." Pam replied.

"Who will my partner here be?" Johnny asked.

"You're looking at her." Pam smiled. "You'll notice there's no office here. I requested it that way cause I believe that a Captain is just a firefighter with bars and should be a part of his or her crew, not be separate from them. You get dressed now, then meet me in the apparatus room."

Johnny nodded, glad that he'd arrived early so he and his Captain could talk.

I think I'm gonna like it here. Johnny thought as Pam left so that he could dress.

*****

A few minutes later, Johnny met Pam in 202's apparatus room.

"This uniform's a little different from what I'm used to." Johnny admitted, tugging on his uniform T-shirt. "We wear badges, button down shirts, the whole nine yards."

"Son, this isn't the big city." Alice spoke up from behind. "Redding is a small town and we are a small department. We don't have the time or the budget for the nice things you all get there."

"Alice is right." Pam agreed. "In this station, what you see is what you get. All we have is an engine and a rescue truck."

"That's what we have at 51's." Johnny told her.

"Johnny, we're it. We're engine company, rescue company, ladder company, we're the be all and end all in this town."

"Holy shit!" Johnny swore. "Do you get alot of calls?"

"We get every emergency call." Pam told him. "The Sheriff handles what we don't."

"Okay." Johnny nodded. "I grew up in a small town in Montana on a ranch."

Just then, the station's phone rang. Alice ran to answer it. A few minutes later, she rejoined Johnny and the Captain.

"Cap, it's Terry Lewis again." The lieutenant sighed. "He's locked himself in his mom's car."

"Oh, boy. Johnny, with me." Pam ordered.

Johnny and Pam got in the rescue truck as Alice opened the door. Pam was at the wheel as she and John rolled out.

"I take it you know this kid?" Johnny guessed.

"Brat is more like it!" Pam scowled. "This kid hates school and will do anything to avoid going!"

"We get that alot too." Johnny nodded as they arrived on scene five minutes later.

"Why don't you take a crack at Terry? I'll see if I can get through to his mother." Pam suggested.

Johnny nodded as they approached the car in question.

"Hi, Pam. Here we go again." Debbie Lewis shrugged.

"Deb, we can't keep doing this." Pam said.

Johnny meanwhile was approaching the car in which a blonde little boy sat. The boy's blue eyes widened at the sight of the muscular Paramedic approaching.

"He's actually scared of you." Deb gasped.

As Johnny got closer to the car, he did his best to look menacing. Pam hid a smile as Johnny tapped on the passenger window.

"Terry, you open this door, right now!" Johnny commanded the boy of about nine.



END PART 9