COPYRIGHT JUNE, 1999, BY: Sara Archer

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Winds of Change

Author: Sara Archer

Rated: Slash NC-17

Pairing: Johnny/Roy

Archive: Yes, please

Content Warning: Graphic sex between two men, death of a main character (I kill the squad:-))

Author's Notes, Reserves and Restrictions: This is the third in the "Confession" series. As I stated above, I'm killing The Squad off, so to anyone who dearly loves that truck, I'm sorry, but it had to be done (I couldn't think of a way to save it<g>).

And finally, I wrote some sex. I hope you enjoy the story.


The Winds Of Change
Sara Archer

As often happens, the storm in the mountains to the east changed the wind patterns that flowed over the city of Los Angeles. The early morning breezes that wafted through the east facing windows warned the residents of the city that the Santa Anna winds were blowing into their
lives.

To a fire fighter, the Santa Anna's brought an extra measure of danger to their already hazardous job. The winds would send a hot arid blast of air across the landscape, drying everything, making the area primed for wildfires. The slightest spark would be fanned into a raging inferno in a matter of minutes. No Los Angeles County fire fighter slept easy until the winds were once again blowing in from across the Pacific.

Paramedic Roy DeSoto wiped the sweat off his brow as he whisked at the eggs he was scrambling. The temperature outside was approaching eighty degrees, and it wasn't even seven o'clock yet. Roy opened first one cupboard, then another in his hunt for a frying pan. It seemed strange to be making breakfast someplace besides the firehouse or his home. Still it was either this or go to work hungry. Maybe next time he'd go home before falling asleep on Johnny's couch.

"Who keeps their frying pans under the sink?" Roy wondered aloud when he finally found the errant cooking utensil.

He knew why he had stayed the night. He doubted whether he could have gone home alone after all that had happened. It's not everyday that both a person's dreams and their nightmares came true.

Johnny loved him. The mere thought sent a rush of excitement and a touch of fear through his system. All of his hopes and dreams had led up to this moment, and now that he was here, he was truly at a loss of what to do next. There would be so many complications, so many changes. His life had been set off balance by his wife's leaving, and now it was threatening to fall to pieces if he wasn't careful.

The sound of the shower shutting off brought Roy back to reality, and he quickly dropped some oil in the pan before putting it on the stove to heat up. Two pieces of bread in the toaster later, Roy heard the bathroom door open up and out walked his partner, John Gage, wearing only a towel around his slim waist.

Roy tried to look everywhere but at John's mostly naked form.

"Don't you have any clothes?" Roy asked as he stared at the suddenly fascinating ceiling.

"Yeah, but I don't wear them in the shower." John shrugged, deliberately stretching so that the towel sank lower on his hips.

"Well, you're not in the shower now," Roy said in exasperation. "Could you put some on?"

"You know, you're really handsome when you blush like that," Johnny teased.

"Put some clothes on," Roy ordered, then added, "arrogant exhibitionist."

"I heard that," John called then headed into the bedroom.

"You were suppose to," Roy replied as he poured the eggs into the frying pan.

John was grinning like a mad man as he slid first his boxers on, then his pants. It was amazing how, in one night, he could go from thinking his world was coming to an end to being this happy.

Yes, they had a long way to go. Roy was still coming to grips with not only his feelings, but the physical side of their love as well, but John knew things would work out. He just had to convince Roy of that.

"The eggs are ready," Roy called from the other room, making John's grin grow even wider.

"Coming, honey," he shouted and grabbed a shirt.

"If you even think I'm going to let you call me honey, you'd better think again." John heard his partner grumble when he walked into the main room.

"How about darling?" John asked with mock innocence.

"No."

"Sweety?"

"Not on your life."

"Baby?"

"I might have to pop you one."

"Puddin' Pie?"

"Only if I can call you Shnookums." Roy threatened.

John put on a thoughtful face. "Let's see... 'His pulse is getting weaker, Puddin' Pie.' 'We'd better get an IV going, Shnookums.' Nope, I don't think it will work."

"Then, can we stick to Johnny and Roy?" The older man asked as he poured two glasses of milk.

"Until we come up with something better." John shrugged while carrying the egg laden plates to the table.

"You are going to put your shirt on before you eat, aren't you?" Roy joined his partner with the two glasses.

"I always eat shirtless at home." John explained.

"Put your shirt on, Johnny." Roy folded his arms and waited.

"You're acting like a prude," John complained as he pulled his shirt on.

"And you promised me you'd warn me before you tried to seduce me again." Roy stated one of the rules they had worked out during their long conversation last evening.

"Okay." John shrugged, then leaned over, putting his face mere inches away from Roy's. "Roy, I'm about to seduce you."

"Uh...n...not before...not before breakfast." Roy stammered, holding one of the glasses out like a shield.

"Coward." John smiled and took the glass.

"Egotist." Roy countered, taking a deep breath. "Besides, we decided to take it slow."

"You decided." John replied as he sat down to dig into his eggs, then with a sly grin added, "I don't know how long I can keep my hands off of you."

Roy swallowed hard. "Can we talk about something else?"

"But you're all I have on my mind."

"Johnny." Roy's voice took on a whiny quality.

"Okay, okay." John laughed then nodded his head toward the open window. "It's going to be a hot one today."

"Worse," Roy replied. "The winds are out of the east."

A worried look came to Gage's eyes. "I hate the Santa Annas."

"You and every other fire fighter in the country," Roy agreed. "If only we had had a little rain in the past couple of weeks, but it's as dry as a bone out there." Roy began fiddling with the salt shaker.

"Yeah." John nodded, then tried to think of a conversation that didn't have a sexual context to it. "Aaahhh...oh, I know. When are you going to get the kids next?"

"In two weeks. Why?"

"Well, I was thinking we could go to Disney Land or something." John shrugged as he mopped up the last of his eggs with his toast. "I've never been there, and I was thinking it might be...What?"

John paused at the incredulous look on Roy's face.

"You live in LA, and you've never been to Disney Land?" Roy asked in disbelief.

"I haven't lived here all my life." John defended himself. "And rides for me as a kid were on horseback, bringing the cattle down from the high pasture. Not exactly an E-ticket attraction."

"I don't know." Roy went back to fingering the salt shaker. "I think it sounds like a good time."

"Being in the saddle until your butt went numb, breathing the dust stirred up by the cattle until that was all you could smell, even after the drive was over? No thank you." John shook his head. "Roy, if you're giving massages, why don't you start with me instead of that salt shaker."

Roy looked up a Johnny sharply before glancing down at what his fingers were doing. He let go of the shaker a bit too fast, knocking it over and spilling the salt. When he reached to right it again, John's finger met his in a firm clasp, stilling Roy's nervous hands.

"Want to tell me what's bothering you?" John offered support.

Roy paused for a moment then shrugged. "The guys are going to see us drive in together."

"So? You slept on my couch, that's all. It's happened before. Why is this different?"

"Because...well...you know." Roy stammered.

"Because we kissed?" John lowered his voice to that seductive tone that alway flustered his partner quite nicely.

"Yes, that." Roy snapped before pulling his hand away.

"Well, don't feel so bad. All we did is kiss...not that I would have argued if more had happened... and that was at your place. " John took a pinch of the spilt salt and threw it over Roy's shoulder before gathering up his empty plate and glass and taking them to the sink. "Technically, all we did when you got here was talk, then you fell asleep on my couch. All nice and innocent."

"There wasn't anything innocent about it." Roy joined Johnny at the sink with his own dishes.

"Roy, we kissed, okay?" John finally decided to explain to the older man the way things were. "We kissed, and we're going to do it again, many time. And we're going to do more than just kiss, even if I have to yell, taunt, or seduce you every time. So, get use to it. In fact..." John gave his partner a look that could melt the polar ice caps. "I'm going to kiss you before we leave for work this morning."

Roy's eyes opened wide with shock. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"You will, when I kiss you." John shrugged before running water over the dishes.

"I can't believe what an arrogant jerk you can be." Roy snorted.

"I can't believe how you react when we kiss." John turned his enticing smile on Roy. "I mean you really lose it. I thought you were going to crawl right down my throat. It was like you lost total..."

"All right, all right," Roy held out his hands to stop John's flow of words, a flush of red spreading across his cheeks.

"You are so gorgeous when you blush like that." John murmured, taking a step forward. "It only works on people with light skin, you know. It's like your pale complexion was created for just those times when you become embarrassed...or excited."

Roy's eyes darted about as if looking for an avenue of escape.

"Shhh," John soothed as he reached out and took ahold of Roy's shoulders. "You know it's going to happen, so just let me kiss you, and it'll be over."

"Johnny..." Roy started to warn off his partner, then, with a sigh, decided to do as he was told. Still he was going to be damned if he responded in any way.

Any hope of remaining impassive fled the second their lips met. Roy opened wide under Johnny's tender assault, moaning when the younger man's tongue danced across his. While only lasting seconds, Roy felt as if the kiss went on for hours. When John finally pulled away, Roy found himself with his body pressed up against the younger man's, his fingers buried in Johnny's hair, and absolutely no memory of how he got that way.

"See," John whispered before giving Roy's lower lip one last stroke of his tongue. "You react so beautifully."

With that Johnny left his partner's embrace to gather up his keys.

"Ready to go to work?" John asked innocently.

Roy pulled himself together enough to glare at his partner before snatching up the coat he had worn last night, and yanked it on. The heat outside was forgotten for the heat that raged within him.

*Damn, this is going to be a long shift.* Roy thought to himself as he adjusted his too warm coat to cover the slight bulge that had formed in his pants.


Part 2

"That's not a good sign." Roy motioned toward station 51's front drive full of men and cars.

John rolled down the window of his truck as fire fighter Chet Kelly rushed out to greet them.

"Hi guys." Chet's normal jovial demeanor was replaced by a grim seriousness. "You'll have to park in the lot across the street. B and C shifts are showing up to go out with us."

Both paramedics knew that could only mean one thing. Something was burning, and if all three shifts were coming in at once, the fire had to be big.

"Where is it?" Roy asked, not bothering to qualify was 'it' was. Everyone already knew.

"Near Yorba Linda," Chet answered. "Information coming in says it's huge."

"We'll meet you inside," John said before checking his review mirror and pulling into the lot across the street.

"Don't even put on your blues." Captain Hank Stanley greeted them as they walked into the station's bay. "Go straight into your turnout gear."

Both men nodded as they made their way to the crowded locker room.

"Hi, Gage," fellow paramedic Will Slate called when he saw Roy and Johnny walk through the door. "You look a bit calmer than you did when you left last night. Did everything work out?"

John smiled when Roy ducked behind his locker door so no one could see his panicked look.

"Yep, doesn't it always?" John answered as he pulled his shirt off, then to save his partner from further embarrassment, he changed the subject. "What's the report on this one?"

"Not many houses in that area." Marco Lopez filled them in. "But they haven't had a fire up there in years, so there's tons of dead, heavy brush. Pretty rugged country too, lots of ridges and valleys."

"Earliest reports are saying it's already a bad one," Mike Stoker added. "With all that downed greasewood out there, it's like pouring gasoline on a lit grill."

"And with the Santa Annas pushing it along it's going to be one hot, fast fire," Roy said, giving Johnny a worried look.

They had all the ingredients to make this one of the worst fires they had ever had to fight. A troubled silence filled the room.

Captain Stanley walked in carrying a clip board. It was time to learn what position everyone was going to take to help battle the blaze.

"Okay, A-shift, short it's paramedics, you're going with the 23rd to help with containment. B-shift, since you've been on since yesterday, you're going to stay back and help keep the tanker choppers filled with water. C-shift, you're going to be on the firebreak and back burn with the 86th. Gage and DeSoto, meet me out by the squad for your assignment. Any questions?"

Each man gathered up their gear quietly and headed out to their assignments. It didn't need to be said, but each one silently wished the rest godspeed, and hope that they would all be returning home in one piece from this one.

John grabbed his and Roy's helmet off the shelf, tossing Roy his before they headed out into the bay. Hank stood waiting for them, a grim look on his face.

"Before I give you your assignment, I have to know. Are you two okay with each other? Because I'm not going to have time to be worrying that two of my men are too busy fighting each other to be watching out for themselves." Captain Stanley spoke bluntly.

"We're fine," John replied.

"It was all a misunderstanding." Roy added.

"Well, from now on, work your 'misunderstandings' out on your own time. Got it?" Stanley gave them both a critical inspection.

"Yes, sir," the two paramedics answered simultaneously.

"Good." Hank turned to a map he had spread out across the hood of the squad. "There's a campgrounds down in this valley." His fingers traced along the map. "The owner's pretty sure everyone who was there's gotten out, but HQ wants you two to make sure.

"There's a little creek that runs through the valley, and I want you to stay near it at all times. Whatever you do, stay off those ridges. You're not going to have anyone around for fire support, and I don't want any of my people being caught in a fire storm."

"Got it, Cap'." John grabbed the ma, folding it up as he climbed into the passenger seat of the squad.

"The drive in follows the creek." Hank told Roy as the paramedic slid in behind the steering wheel. "No heroics on this one, guys. That creek may be your last chance if things get hairy in there."

"Don't worry, Cap'." Roy assured his superior. "We'll be joining you on the containment lines in a couple of hours."

"I'm counting on it." Stanley gave them a concerned look as he stepped back to let the squad pull out of the bay.

No captain liked to send his men out on a assignment like this, but a fire fighter knew the dangers of their work. Hank sighed as he went out to join A-shift. There were times he really wished he had failed his captain's exam.

+++++++

The moment the squad cleared the high rise buildings of downtown Los Angeles, the smoke from the fire became evident on the south-eastern horizon. It billowed up like a huge dark cloud in an otherwise cloudless sky.

"I wonder how many acres it is," John murmured in awe of the smoky haze.

"With as dry as it is, there's going to be a lot more acres burning before this is through," Roy replied, his jaw set in a hard line.

The blacktop road leading towards the western edge of the blaze was deserted. The few residents had long since been evacuated in the face of the approaching inferno. The squad sped along at the fastest Roy could afford to go. They could already see the first glow of the wildfire even through the black smoke in the forefront. There wasn't much time.

By the time they turned off on the the dirt lane that led down into the back country camp area, the dry air was already dense with smoke. Both men knew they had very little time to get in, check the area, and get out if they wanted to stay ahead of the fire.

The campgrounds came into view as the squad rounded a small hill. Nestled in a bend of the small creek, it provided a picturesque site for people to get away from the big city. A pit toilet dominated the far end of the grounds, while a small office building stood near the entrance. It would have been a nice place to visit, some other time.

Now all the paramedics could think of was the trees and bushes that had been planted as screening for each campsite would mean more work for them. They would have to get out and search the grounds on foot to be certain they missed no one who might be hiding from the oncoming flames. That same brush also meant there would be more fuel for the fire when it reached here.

Roy parked the squad near the office before jumping out and grabbing his handy-talkie.

"I'll start in here." The senior paramedic hitched his thumb at the building. "Meet back here in no more than fifteen minutes. I mean it, junior, that fire is coming in awfully fast."

"Fifteen minutes." Johnny nodded, then headed out into the grounds, as Roy headed into the office.

Roy noticed the smoke was rolling in much thicker in just the short time he had been in the empty office. Already it was getting hard to see the toilet at the far end of the camp. John emerged from one camp site and moved on to the next. Roy chose the downstream side to begin his search.

Nine minutes later, Roy heard his partner cough somewhere off to his left. John stepped out from a stand of brush and waved.

"Anything?" Roy shouted.

"Nope, there's just a couple more up there, and then we can get out of here," John yelled back and disappeared up the hill.

Roy knocked on the men's side of the outhouse door before pushing it open. A quick inspection showed it to be empty. He did the same to the women's side, pushing the stall doors open to find no one there.

A strange sound greeted the senior paramedic as he exited the small structure. It sounded almost as if hundreds of people were all crumpling up pieces of paper, all at the same time. A sense of dread stole over Roy as he looked up at the eastern horizon. His dread turned to panic when he saw that it glowed with a flickering brightness.

The fire wasn't coming, it was already here.

What was worse, Johnny was somewhere up the ridge. Suddenly the creek, the squad, and their salvation seemed miles away.


Part 3

"Johnny, where are you?" Roy's voice came over the handy-talkie.

"Right here." John brought the transmitter to his lips. "I've just got one more to check out, and I'll be..."

John froze, his gaze rising to the ridge line above his head. A glow was taking over the horizon, and black smoke was pouring over the rise like water. Suddenly a shower of sparks flew up in the air, landing just uphill from him. The dry brush instantly burst into flames.

Forgetting anything else, the younger paramedic turned on his heels and sped down the hill. He cleared a line of brush just in time to hear the fire crackle to life behind him. He pushed his legs to run faster and, with a terror borne adrenaline rush, they gave him what he asked for.

Bursting through another boundary of small trees, John found Roy rushing up to find him. Without slowing his pace at all, John grabbed the sleeve of Roy's turnout coat and yanked him along behind him.

The crackle of the fire changed into a deafening roar as the blaze closed in on them. The dense smoke was turning night into day, making it hard to breath. The brush beside them was catching on fire and Johnny knew there was no way they would ever reach the squad in time. Their only hope lie in the creek. If only the fire didn't beat them to it.

John could feel the heat of the flames clawing at the back of his neck like a wild animal, trying to take him down. He was certain his hair was already starting to smolder. He didn't dare turn back to look at the holocaust bearing down on them for fear of slowing down or losing his footing. It would be all over for them if he did.

Sparks suddenly flew out in front of them, lighting the brush instantly. The fire was now between them and the creek. There was nothing left to do but lower their heads and plow through the flames. John felt them licking up the legs and waist of his turnout gear, turning the very clothing that was suppose to be protecting him into an oven hot enough to cook him.

Roy stumbled for a moment, pulling Johnny down, but Gage never loosened his grip. He simply dragged his partner's weight for the few seconds it took Roy to regain his footing and continue his flight.

John only knew they had reached the creek when he felt the water splashing up around his feet. With a strong pull, he practically threw Roy into the creek before diving head first into the cooling liquid himself. Their headlong flight had depleted both men of their oxygen supply though, and they quickly had to surface to breath, only to find themselves caught in an inferno.

The fire was on them now, so hot it seemed to burn the very air itself, stealing away the life giving oxygen. Johnny dove back under the water when he saw his turnout coat beginning to smolder.

Once again the need to breath sent him to the surface, only to be force back under by the heat before he could even fill his lungs.

John's chest ached, his lungs felt as if they were about to burst, he needed to breath so badly, but the pain that greeted him every time he surfaced made him dive back down into the safety of the cool water.

A darkness began to eat away at the edges of his vision as his body was depleted of oxygen. He briefly wondered if Roy was faring any better, but he couldn't find the strength to turn and find out.

One last foray to the surface made him decide it would be so much less painful if he just stayed down here, in the sanctuary of the water. A small part of him argued that he needed to go to the surface to breath, but a stronger fear kept him away from the agony that awaited above.

Suddenly strong hands were under him, pushing him to the surface. Johnny own body forced him to to take a deep lungful of the searing air before he felt his nose pinched close, his mouth covered. The hands then dragged him back into the soothing water.

John weakly struggled against the hands holding him. He did not want to go back up there again, but the arms were stronger than he was, the hands powerful enough to keep him from breathing under water.

Just when John felt his lungs were about to burst from the air he held inside, he was once again pushed to the surface, allowed to breath, then, once more, his nose and mouth were covered and he was dragged back under. Several times the cycle repeated itself until John no longer struggled, he just did what seemed to be expected of him.

Finally the surface air seemed a bit cooler, easier to breath. He was then brought up to the surface to stay and cupped hands poured water over his head.

As his body refilled with its precious oxygen, Johnny felt the fog in his mind slowly clear. His eyes focused on the barren landscape that stretched as far as the eye could see. He could still hear the roar of the fire, but it had diminished, moved away. The next sensation that came to him was the strong arms that surrounded him, pulling his back against a warm chest.

"Roy?" John croaked, feeling the rawness of his throat.

"Right here." Roy's voice sounded equally as hoarse.

"Are you okay?" John asked, leaning his head tiredly against his partner's shoulder.

"Yeah." Roy replied in a hushed tone. "You?"

"Uh huh, things are starting to make a little more sense now than they did earlier."

"Good. Sorry about that pinching your nose thing, but for a second it did look like you weren't going to go to the surface to take your next breath."

"For a second there, I wasn't." John sighed, then pushed himself shakily away from Roy. "I suppose we'd better go find the squad."

Roy pulled John back down into his embrace. "Not yet." Roy threw a handful of water onto the shore. It burst into a cloud of steam the moment it hit the heated ground. "It's still too hot. We'll stay here for a little longer. Besides...I doubt there's too much left of the squad, anyway."

"Great." Johnny murmured as he settled back down against Roy's chest."Oh, thanks."

"For what?"

"Saving my life...again."

"I figured I owed you for dragging me along after I fell back there."

"Yeah, turnout gear was not designed to help a person in a run-for-your-life situation." John's attempt at humor gained him a chuckle of agreement from his partner.

Despite the cold of the water that flowed around them, or the heat that still radiated from the lunar-like surroundings, each man fell into a relaxed silence. They were savoring the fact that even though they were a bit uncomfortable, they were still both drawing breath, they were still both alive.

John turned his face into the warm pocket of flesh where Roy's shoulder and neck met. He heard the older man inhale sharply at the sensation, but other than that, Roy made no protest. Even over the smoke that clung to them, John could smell the intoxicating scent of his partner. It seemed the right thing to do just to lay back and breath in Roy's fragrance while being held in his arms.

After a brief pause, Roy lay his cheek against John's wet hair and closed his eyes. Just holding his partner, knowing they had both survived was enough for now. There would be plenty of time later to worry about how to work out their relationship, how they were going to get out of there, how the captain was going to react when he heard the squad was gone. Right at this moment, being alive and in each others arms was enough.

+++++++

An hour later, the rescue helicopter that had been sent to discover why HQ had not heard from squad 51 for some time, came across the burnt out hulk of what looked like some sort of truck, and the only two living creatures for miles huddled together in an ash choked creek. The extraction team was at a loss to explain that despite the fact that the two men were quite battered and obviously suffered from some smoke inhalation, both wore a smile of contentment as they were airlifted to safety.


Part 4

"John Gage, if you don't keep this oxygen mask over your face, I'm going to glue it on," Rampart's head nurse, Dixie McCall threatened as Johnny attempted once again to check on his partner's condition.

"I'm just making sure..." Johnny tried to explain, only to have Dixie place the mask back over his mouth and nose.

"I wouldn't argue with her, Johnny." Doctor Kelly Brackett looked up from his examination of the burns on Roy's hands. "Around here Dixie always gets her way."

"I'm doing fine, Johnny," Roy said to placate his worried partner.

"Well, I don't know about that," the doctor said as he brought his stethoscope to Roy's chest. "You're both suffering from smoke inhalation, and from the sounds of it, your lungs are pretty irritated."

John raised the mask off his face to say something, but the warning look Dixie gave him made him quickly replace it. "How about Roy's burns?" The younger paramedic's muffled voice was full of concern.

"Mostly first degree." Brackett assured him. "There's only slight blistering just below the wrist. Nothing to worry about there. All in all, I'd say you were both very lucky. A couple of days of rest and you should be ready to face down another wall of fire."

"I'll never be ready to face down another wall of fire." Roy disagreed. "There were a couple of minutes there when I was asking myself, 'What kind of fool does this for a living?'"

"See, that proves you're not a fool." Dixie smiled as she straightened the oxygen tube that ran to Roy's nose.

"How's that?" John wondered before pushing the mask back against his face.

"The difference between a fool and a brave man is that a fool rushes into danger feeling no fear. A brave man feels fear, but takes the chance anyway," Dixie quoted. "If you were scared, you weren't a fool."

"Well, I was scared to death," John said.

"I don't think that rule applies to you, Johnny. You could play the fool no matter what." Roy teased.

"Look who's the comedian." John glared at his partner, then turned to Brackett. "So, we're not going to have to stay overnight?"

"Nope." The doctor patted Roy on his shoulder as he finished the examination. "But I do want both of you to take it easy for a day or two. No overworking those lungs. I'm recommending you don't go back on duty, and find some family or friends you can stay with, just in case your lungs start to fill. If your breath becomes more difficult in any way, I want you back in here right away. Do you both have someone you can stay with?"

"We've got that covered, Doc'." John promised. "Can I take this thing off now?" He pulled at the mask.

Dixie just shook her head and smiled before taking the mask from the impatient paramedic.

+++++++

Chet Kelly met the pair in Rampart's waiting room, relief showing in his eyes before he quickly covered it up.

"You guys had us worried sick," Chet lectured. "The least you could have done was stay in touch by the radio."

"Jeez, Chet, I didn't know you cared." John rubbed his eyes as he teased the fire fighter.

"I don't, but you know Cap', he hates the paperwork he's got to fill out to get new men." Chet shot back.

"Well, we were a little busy." Roy offered an excuse. "And handy-talkies don't work so well after they've been soaked in water."

"Did you get to see the squad?" John changed the subject.

"Yeah, I did." Chet sadly shook his head.

"Well, what does it look like?" John snapped out his question.

"Total loss," Chet informed them. "All the rubber just disintegrated and the glass must have exploded in the heat. You wouldn't even know it was the squad by looking at it."

"Damn," John sighed. "I loved that truck."

Roy shot his partner a disbelieving look. "We made it out of there alive and mostly in one piece, and you're upset about the squad?"

"But it was The Squad." John tried to emphasize his point with a wave of his hands.

"Gage, you scare me sometimes." Roy was shaking his head as he walked toward the exit.

"We just left her there to die." John continued to bemoan the fate of the beloved vehicle.

"We'll get a brand new one." Roy shouted over his shoulder.

"It won't ever be the same." John called as he hurried to catch up with his partner.

They left behind an amused Chet Kelly. The fireman wondered how two such opposites personalities got along so well.

"Must be love." Chet said sarcastically as he left to inform the captain of the well being of his two men.

Dixie stood unobtrusively behind the supply counter, smiling to herself.

"Must be," she agreed quietly as she filed away the paper work of her two favorite paramedics.

+++++++

The two men caught a quick ride back to the station with B-shift's paramedics returning from a run. Roy noticed the Johnny was swaying on his feet when they checked on the progress of the fire. It was quite obvious the John needed to get home and get some sleep before he fell over. The senior paramedic snagged Johnny's car keys out of his hand as the younger man stifled a yawn.

"You are yawning almost non-stop." Roy explained, stopping Johnny's protests before they could start. "I'll drive, and you can take a nap until you get to my place."

"We're staying at your place tonight?" John wondered, as he rubbed his eyes.

"No, I'm staying at my place, you can drive to yours from there." Roy answered.

"Oh no, you heard Doctor Brackett. He doesn't want either of us to be alone tonight." John shook his head vigorously.

"I'm fine, and so are you." Roy disagreed.

"Hey, I'm just following doctor's orders." Johnny tried unsuccessfully at hiding his sly grin. "If you don't come over, I'll give him a call, he'll call Cap', and you'll catch holy hell on our next shift." The younger man threatened.

"You wouldn't." Roy's eyes narrowed.

"Try me." John dared him.

"You can be such a pain-in-the-ass." Roy snarled as he turned and walked to Johnny's truck.

Johnny just smiled and followed.

+++++++

They made a quick stop at Roy's home to pick up a few things, where Roy made one last failed attempt to convince Johnny that they would better off sleeping in their own homes. The younger man did not give an inch, quoting Doctor Brackett until Roy felt like strangling both his partner, and the good doctor just for good measures. Finally Roy gave in. It seemed as if John had a way of getting under his defenses and changing his mind. Roy wondered if arguing with his partner would always be a losing battle for him.

"I can not believe how tired I am," John said around yet another huge yawn as he set Roy's bag down by the bedroom door. "I'm going to grab a quick shower, and then I'd like to go to bed."

"I'll make a couple of sandwiches and and when you're done with the shower I'll take mine." Roy offered as he pick up his bag and deliberately moved it over by the couch.

"You are just so domestic." John laughed "Breakfast this morning, a sandwich tonight, at least I know I'll never starve with you around."

"Don't get use to it, junior." Roy warned. "This is only for tonight."

"You'd let me starve?" Johnny put on a poor-waif look.

"You're an idiot." Roy waved at the bathroom door. "Now, hurry up, I want to wash this smoke smell off of me."

"We could always share the shower." John suggested.

"Don't you ever stop?" Roy asked in exasperation.

"Not when it comes to you." John smile then, before Roy could complain further, he ducked into the bathroom.

The warm mist of the shower felt heavenly against John's sore muscles, and for a long time he just stood under the spray, letting it wash away the last of his tensions as well as smoky smell that had seemed to permeate his skin. By the time a fog of steam rose around him, John felt his body relax into a pleasant lethargy.

Johnny stumbled out of the bathroom, half asleep already, mumbling something about it being Roy's turn. Roy smiled at the almost child-like way his partner knuckled his eyes, trying to rub the sleep from them.

When Roy emerged clean and refreshed from the shower, he found there were only two bites out of the younger man's sandwich, and Johnny's head hung over the unfinished food.

"Johnny." Roy prodded his partner gently. "time to go to bed.

"Mmm." John turned his heavy lidded eyes to Roy. "I thought you'd never ask."

"Enough kidding around." Roy sighed. "You just fell asleep over a plate of food. Obviously you're more tired than hungry. Come on, let's get you to bed."

Roy took his partner by the arm and had to almost lift him from the chair. Johnny allowed Roy to lead to the bedroom door, only then did he pull away.

"You are coming with me, aren't you?" Johnny's sleepy look made the question seem much more innocent than it was.

"I'll be right out here on the couch." Roy answered as he tried to lead John to the bed.

John pulled away from Roy. "Then I'll sleep out there too." The younger man headed out towards the sofa.

"We're both not going to fit on the couch." Roy pointed out.

"Then I'll sleep on the floor." John was adamant.

"Why can't you sleep on your bed?" Roy asked as he attempted once again to steer his partner back into his bedroom.

"I've gotta keep an eye on you." The words slurred a bit. "Make sure you're still breathing."

"I tell you what." Roy came up with an idea to placate the exhausted younger man. "I'll come in every now and then to wake you up and tell you I'm fine."

"No." John shook his head. "It's okay, I'll just turn the TV on and watch you sleep."

"Oh, now that makes me feel comfortable," Roy said dryly. "What will it take for you to sleep in your bed tonight?"

"If you're there with me." John answered with a finality that made Roy knew that arguing about this would be a waste of time.

"Johnny," Roy wanted his partner to understand. "Crawling into bed with you is a big step, and I don't know that I can deal with it tonight."

"I know, but I need to know you're okay." John said. "Today, when the fire went over us, I wanted to know your were safe, but I couldn't find the strength to do that. It scared me, Roy. Then, when I knew we both survived...and there you were holding me...it felt..." For the first time since Roy had known him, Johnny seemed at a lost for words. "It felt...uh...safe...right...and I didn't want it to stop. All I needed was you and...oh hell, I don't know what I'm trying to say."

The two men stood staring at each other for a long time, finally Roy grabbed John's arm and lead him to the bed.

"We're just going to sleep." Roy dictated the rules.

"Okay."

"No touching, stroking, kissing, and NO trying to seduce me."

John nodded.

"One false move, and I'm out on the couch with you staying in bed."

"I'm too tired to make any false moves."

"Okay, but I mean it. If this is one of your sneak attack seductions, I'm going to..."

"No sneak attack, no seduction, just sleep, scout's honor." John held up two fingers in a pledge.

"As if you were ever a scout."Roy grumbled as he stripped down to his boxers.

Johnny followed suite before crawling under the covers. The cool, clean sheets felt wonderful next to his skin. He felt the bed dip as Roy settled in on the far side. John couldn't help but notice that if Roy attempted to lay any further away from him, he would be falling onto the floor, but Gage was too sleepy to get into an argument over it. It was enough to have Roy here.

With a deep sigh, John reached up and turned off the light. plunging the room into darkness.

The steady sound of each other's breathing lulled both men into a deep dreamless sleep.

Part 5

John awoke to the feeling of a pleasant weight draped across his chest.It took him a moment to remember who his sleeping partner was, but when he did, a smile spread across his face.

Somewhere in the night, Roy's sleeping body had rolled over and claimed John as its pillow. Roy's head rested just below Johnny's chin, his right arm curled around Johnny's chest. John could feel the warmth of Roy's breath across his throat every time the older man exhaled. Roy's chest hairs tickled Johnny's stomach in time with their breathing.

The hard plains of Roy's chest were some what different than the soft curves of a woman, but not at all unpleasant. John felt a sense of being watched over, protected under the firm pressure of his partner's body. Here he could be safe.

Roy shifted slightly in his sleep before murmuring an incoherent phrase. John felt those lips move against his collar bone, and instantly a uncontrollable rush of excite course through his body. Totally awake now, the younger man could feel every inch of Roy's body that was press up against his. The soft cotton of Roy's boxers did not prevent John from feeling Roy's relaxed organ resting on his thigh. John longed to explore his way across his partner's body. To stifle the moan that threatened to burst from his throat, John buried his face into Roy's clean hair, and took deep calming breaths.

Roy stirred against him, breaking Johnny out of his thoughts. The older man sighed lightly, his fingers curved to scratch deliciously against Johnny's bare chest. Seconds later, John felt as well as heard Roy's sharp intake of breath.

"Good morning," John whispered into the blond hair near his mouth.

Roy did not reply, but John could feel the rapid heartbeat of his partner as he woke to the full understanding of just where he was. Johnny slid an arm around Roy's hips, anchoring the older man to his side.

"Just lay here for a minute and feel this." John murmured enticingly. "This is the way I woke up. You draped across me. We're so close I can feel the texture of your skin, the softness of your hair, the strength of your heartbeat."

Roy's body was tense, but he was making no move to pull away.

"This is how we were meant to wake up." John continued to weave his spell of seduction. "Warm, relaxed, safe in each other's arms. Our bodies stretched out next to each other, with nothing to separate us."

John felt the muscles of Roy's back slowly easy out of their tightness.

"That's it," John encouraged. "You're starting to feel it too. The two of us together, our legs entwined, you're riding the rise and fall of my chest as I breath, feeling the air of my words as they blow across your hair."

The fingers of Roy's right hand slowly splay as if on their own accord until they lay flat against John's chest.

"Can you feel my heartbeat?" John questioned.

"Yes," Roy replied softly, his hand sliding to the center of John's chest.

"Mmm, I like it when you touch me." John arched his neck ever so slightly at the sensation of his partner's roving fingers.

"I like touching you," Roy responded, creating a stirring in Johnny's heart that moved a little lower.

"It looks like this could be beneficial to both of us." John sighed as Roy's hand began to stroke against him with more confidence.

Roy propped himself up on his elbows so to meet his partner's eyes. What Johnny saw there set his pulse racing. Roy was surrendering to his passions. The doubt that John had watch for so long vanished from Roy's lust darkened blue eyes.

Roy seemed to be searching for something in Johnny's eyes as well. John felt almost lost in those bottomless blue orbs, as if Roy was stripping away the layers to find John's very core, his very soul.

The smile that came to Roy's face proved that he had found what he was looking for. With a suddeness that took John's breath away, Roy descended to claim John's lips in a fiery kiss. John opened up under the onslaught, giving in to his partner's silent demands. Roy ran his tongue across the enamel of John's teeth before dipping it into the far recesses of John's mouth.

A groan rose up from Johnny chest when it seemed that Roy was drawing the air straight from his lungs. The younger man's eyes fluttered closed as he yielded to Roy's touched.

It was as if Roy had to drag himself away from John's mouth, taking the younger man's lower lip between his teeth and tugging on it gently before pulling away. Roy nibbled out along Johnny jawline, taking in the difference of the stubble there compared to John's smooth lips.

Just when John didn't think it could get any hotter, Roy blew a warm stream of air across the path his mouth had just taken, causing Johnny to arch his neck, exposing his throat to Roy's gifted mouth. Roy took advantage of the succulent flesh offered to him by drawing a piece of it between his teeth with a strong suction, marking John as his.

*Who's seducing who here?* was Gage's last coherent thought before Roy brought his hands into the game.

With feather light touches, Roy traced over all of Johnny's face, starting by stroking the thick locks of hair off of Johnny's sweaty forehead. He then moved to brush his finger tips across the younger man's closed eyelids. By the time Roy's fingers had grazed down over his high cheek bones to reach Johnny's passion swollen lips, the younger man was moaning quietly with every exhale.

John felt Roy's fingers smooth over his lips. He opened his mouth to flick the tip of his tongue against one of the digits before sucking it into his mouth. Roy's responding groan was music to his ears. John kept the finger prisoner with a strong suction, batting at it with his tongue while Roy uttered small sounds of appreciation. Finally Roy decided to move on. It took a sharp nip to John's ear to distract him enough to release his prize. His mouth followed the retreating digit, hoping to recapture it, but to no avail. He groan when Roy's tongue soothed over the tiny hurt he had created at John's ear.

Roy then turned his attention to Johnny's body, stroking down Gage's throat to the hairless expanse of Johnny's chest. Roy seemed fascinated with the smoothness of John's torso. His fingertips moved lightly from the younger man's throat to the waistband of his boxers over and over, leaving nothing untouched.

Up to this point, Johnny had tried so hard to stay in control so as not to frighten his partner into stopping, but he couldn't hold himself in check any longer. His hips began to shift, then to undulate, his boxers bulging obscenely. He needed Roy to touch him, take his erection into his hand. He whimpered as Roy's hands moved away from where he wanted them. The blond was perfectly content with his slow exploration of Johnny's body.

"Roy." The name came out of John on a rush of air.

"Hmm?" Roy made a questioning sound as he felt along John's collarbone before moving down his chest.

"I need...I..." Gage swallowed hard as Roy's fingers discovered one of John's dusky pink nipples.

"What was that? I didn't hear you." The smile was evident in Roy's words.

*He's playing with me,* John thought in amazement. *He's got me where he wants me, and now he's playing with me.*

Yet Johnny was not above begging. "Please, Roy I...oh...I need you."

"I'm right here." DeSoto Gave John's mouth a quick kiss before he went back to tracing around John's nipple, never quite touching the hardened nub in the center.

"Touch me, please." John moaned when Roy finally batted at the excited nub with the pad of his thumb.

"I am touching you." Roy made this point by pinching John's nipples.

"Yes...no...lower...please." John was hardly aware of the words coming from his own mouth. His hips were now rising off the bed, his clumsy hands plucked uselessly at the waistband of his boxers. He need them off, he needed to feel Roy's hands on his straining erection, he needed...he needed...

Still Roy continued slowly, his hands sliding down to rest on the flat of John's stomach, his index finger dipping into the indentation of John's navel. Finally Roy slid just the tips of his fingers under the waistband of John's boxers.

John's whole body lurched at the feeling of Roy's warm fingers getting closer to where he wanted them. His head arched back against the pillow, his body lifted up to give Roy better access.

Roy gazed down at his partner as John abandoned the last of his ability to think and gave himself over totally to the sensations that Roy was creating.

"I always knew you would be beautiful if I could see you like this." Roy breathed the words more to himself that to his enraptured partner. "You're always in control, always know just how to entice me, but here you are, turning yourself over to me, letting me be the one in control." Roy moved his fingers lower under the short, watching Johnny writhing form. "I could go on touching you forever."

A strangled moan came from Johnny's throat, and Roy knew it was time to give his the younger man his release. With one quick move he yanked John's boxer's over his hips. John's hardened member caught in the waistband for a moment, then sprung free. Roy was touching it before he even finished pulling the boxers off.

John screamed as Roy's finger closed around his shaft. The touch was at first delicate, tentative. This was the first time Roy had ever held another man's cock in his hand. Roy traced along the throbbing vein that ran up the underside of the heated flesh, marvelling at the feeling of silken skin stretched over steal-like flesh.

John spread his legs wider, tightening up the muscles in his butt to raise his groin up in offering to his partner. He was awash in feeling, his body tight as a violin string. He was moments away from his long awaited orgasm, and it was all he could do to hope that Roy would not stop now that he was so close.

Roy had no intentions of stopping though. His fingers tightened their grasp, moving in an ever quickening rhythm. He marvelled at each new reaction John gave, especially knowing that he was the one making them happen.

Finally Roy felt a clenching of muscles beneath his hands. John arched up and held himself as his seed shot up across his belly. Roy continued to milk at Johnny's shaft until the spasms of the younger man's body ended.

John's form seemed to melt against the mattress, every muscle relaxing and going limp. Roy gave one final caress to John's now lax member before sliding up to stretch along his new lover's body.

John pulled great gasps of air into his tired lungs, trying to bring himself back to reality. Roy's touches had been more than he had ever dreamed about. The strength of the older man's fingers, the way he knew just how to touch him, the knowledge that it had been Roy doing that touching had driven him to a height of ecstasy he never knew existed.

John opened his eyes to the sight of his partner looking quizzically at his own fingers. It took John a moment to realize the were sticky with his semen. Roy brought his finger's to his mouth and, with a movements that would have brough John to hardness again if he had the strength, stuck out his tongue to taste the salty fluids that clung to the digits.

John let out a long groan before grabbing his startled partner and rolling him over. John pressed his body over Roy's, feeling the older man's erection grinding into his hip. John gave his partner a wicked smile.

"My turn," he snarled before lowering his mouth to claim Roy's.


Part 6

It was Johnny's turn to explore Roy's mouth, and he did so at his leisure. His tongue slid along Roy's teeth, then dipped into the pocket of the older man's cheek and gums. Roy opened his mouth even wider, giving Johnny more access, and Gage took full advantage of it. He lapped across Roy's palette before finally stroking his tongue against Roy's causing the blond to gasp and lurch up against him. A few more moments of this, and Roy fell back against the mattress, whimpering.

"You like that?" John smiled at the trembling form in his arms as he slid Roy's boxers off, removing the last barrier between them.

Roy's eyes were wild with desperate passion, and John could feel his partner's hips rising, trying to bring his erection in contact with Johnny's body again.

"Shhh, not so fast," John soothed, stroking the backs of his fingers up and down Roy's flanks.

"Easy...easy for...you to say," Roy ground out as Johnny's touch calmed him a little.

John chuckled quietly and brought one finger up to stroke along Roy's swollen lips. "The tables are turned. I know I told you this before, but I love the way you respond when I kiss you. I wonder if I could make you come just by playing with you mouth. What do you think?"

Roy didn't know how to answer. All he knew was that he loved the taste of his partner, his lover. He couldn't seem to get enough of it. The more he had, the more he wanted. He kissed the finger at his mouth, savoring even this light flavor of John's.

It was too hard to think of anything to say. Roy wanted so much for Johnny to not tease him. After all, he was the one his partner had driven to distraction, and touching John's body only served to heighten his excitement. He brought his hand down to touch his own painfully hard shaft, seeking relief from his growing tension.

''Uh uh." John quickly caught Roy's hands, lifting them over the blond's head before pressing them firmly into the mattress. "You're mine now. You lay back, keep your hands there, and let me have my way with you." There was a wicked glitter to Gage's eyes.

"But, I just wanted..." Roy's moan was cut short as John traced lightly down his arms until his fingers came to rest on his shoulders.

"I know exactly what you wanted." John whispered. "But I don't want you to have it just yet. Right now, everything about you is mine to play with. I'll say when you can have your release. Understood?"

Roy focused his lust filled eyes on John's and gasped when he saw the commanding look that radiated from them. John Gage had claimed him as his own, and now he was going to demand his prize. Roy nodded his understanding to John's orders and was rewarded with a kiss.

When their lips parted John said in a tone that sounded wicked and heavenly all at the same time. "You can touch yourself for me some other time. Right now, I'm going to be the one touching you. Close your eyes."

Roy did as he was told, feeling John's hands skim just over the surface of his skin, so close to touching, but not quite. When the fingers made their first contact it was at Roy's collar bone. From that almost innocent touch, Roy felt as if a bolt of electricity shot through his body. He realized that by making him close his eyes, Johnny had turned his whole body into an erogenous zone. Roy's total focus was on where the next touch would land, his skin became super sensitized as if he were nothing more than a bundle of nerves for Johnny to play with.

And play with him he did. John touched his partner everywhere, always on a different place, a different degree of pressure. By the time he stroked through the hair on Roy's chest to find the rosy bud of a nipple, Roy was nothing more than a quivering mass of flesh. When Johnny replaced his fingers with his mouth, sucking the hardened kernel up between his teeth to bat at it with his tongue, Roy cried out, and arched up into his mouth. The older man's fingers grasped at the sheets above his head as if that were the only thing holding him from flying off the mattress.

John moved from one nipple to the next, savoring the sounds of excitement that were forced almost involuntarily from Roy's throat. When the nipples were so stiff they looked painful, Johnny began his journey down Roy's body, taking long swipes with his tongue across Roy's twitching stomach.

John knew Roy was trying so hard to do as he was told and just lie still, but his body was betraying him. John could feel the tightening of the muscles beneath his hands and mouth. Roy was long past his need for release.

John pulled away, eliciting a loud groan of frustration from his partner. The younger man sat back and took a long look at the man he had come to love.

Roy was lost in the throes of passion. His fists were tangled in the sheets to the point of tearing them. His muscles so tight, there wasn't a part of him that didn't bulge. His chest heaved in an attempt to get enough oxygen into his system so he wouldn't pass out before the act of completion. His shaft pointed proudly upwards, twitching with every beat of his heart.

Yet it was Roy's face that captivated Johnny. A sheen of sweat covered it, the droplets of perspiration flowing over it like rain on a window. Those blue eyes were close so tightly that tears leaked from their corners. His lips were swollen from John's kisses, and they parted as the air rushed in and out of them. Roy was the picture of eroticism. He was everything Johnny could ever desire.

"Open you eyes." John whispered his command.

Roy could only shake his head no.

"Open them," John repeated softly. "Let me see you, see where you are, where I'm about to take you."

Roy obeyed with a whimpered. John gazed down into the bottomless pits of Roy's desire. The pupils were so dilated, Roy's eyes appeared black. and from their lack of focus, Johnny knew his partner had gone long past seeing. The only sensation left to Roy was to feel.

And that was what John wanted. It was time to finish this.

John leaned over and took the base of Roy's shaft in his hand before lowering his mouth to its swollen head. He gave it a quick swipe of his tongue before, by pure suction alone, he drew the firm flesh up into the hot, moist cavern of his mouth.

The sound that issued from Roy's mouth could only be described as a cross between a growl and a scream. At no other time could a human throat create a sound like that. Still Roy never heard himself, all he knew was John's hands, John's mouth, and his impossible hard staff being caressed by both.

John felt the blunt head of Roy's cock hit the back of his throat and, repressing his gag reflex, John swallowed, stroking the hard flesh with the muscles of his throat. With the final touch of a low hum, John used the vibrations to send Roy over the edge.

Roy heaved up, the sheets finally shredding in his hands. His body arched into a tight bow as his seed shot down Johnny's waiting throat. It felt as if his whole self was being ripped out through his cock to be taken by his partner and absorbed into John's very being. John owned a part of him now and forever.

Roy was unaware of anything besides the gentle lapping of Johnny's tongue as it cleaned off his now oversensitive flesh. Roy felt a parting kiss being given to his softening gland, and then the warm weight of Johnny's body as he slid up into Roy's relaxed embrace. The two men lay in each others arms drifting in and out of a light slumber.

Roy felt John stir and pull away, and he opened his eyes to see what was wrong.

"I'm sticky." John explained as he brushed ineffectively at the drying semen on his stomach.

"Just a minute," Roy whispered, and quickly went into the bathroom for a warm, wet washcloth.

He returned to find John laying seductively on his side, waiting for Roy's return.

"You can put those come hither eyes away." Roy laughed. "I'm too spent for them to work now."

He pushed Johnny over onto his back and softly wiped away the evidence of their love making. John stretched and sighed with appreciation as the warm cloth cleaned him.

"Thank you." John murmured when Roy had finished.

"For what?" Roy settled back down into his lover's arms.

"For...making love to me, for trusting me enough to let me make love to you, for being my partner and my best friend, for keeping me safe, for letting me feel safe, for..."

Whoa there, junior." Roy gave his partner an affectionate kiss. "I think you're getting carried away there."

"Was I getting too mushy?" John smiled as he felt the rumbling chuckle through Roy's chest.

"Yeah, but that's okay."

They lay quietly for a few more moments until Johnny's giggle broke the mood.

"Now what?" Roy tried to make himself sound annoyed, but it just too much effort.

"Do you think this is what Brackett had in mind when he told us to take it easy?"

"I can't imagine that Doctor Brackett ever had this in mind," Roy answered.

The silence came again, and again John broke it.

"Roy?"

"Are you always this chatty after sex?" Roy asked.

"Sorry, I just needed to know something."

"Okay, what is it?" Roy sighed.

"This isn't just...I mean you're not just...What I'm trying to say is...well...this isn't just a one night thing, is it?"

"I'm not the one with your record for lovin' them and leaving them." Roy snorted. "I should be asking you that question."

John raised his head, a shocked look coming to his eyes. "This is important to me. I put a lot of effort into this and I don't want you to leave me now. You're the one thing that's been a constant in my life and I would think..."

Roy put a finger to Johnny's lips to silence him.

"I'm not leaving you unless you want me to." Roy made the statement into a vow. "I love you, John Gage."

A smile came across Johnny's face, and he settled back down against Roy's chest.

"Just checking," He murmured.

Roy pulled his lover closer, snuggling down under the warmth of John's body. Both men slowly drifted off into sleep wrapped in each other's arms.

Just before they lost themselves to slumber, Roy felt John stir and plant a tiny kiss on his chest.

"I love you, Roy DeSoto." John sighed out his last words before he drifted to sleep.

It was with a smile on his face that Roy joined him.



+++++complete+++++