Copyright: February 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: The Talk

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: Roy talks to Johnny about his on-duty behavior.

Content Warning: Harsh Language.

 

The Talk
by Robin R Neher


After returning from a run one Monday afternoon, Roy decided it was time he and his partner of two months, Johnny Gage, had a talk about Johnny's womanizing during work hours. Roy was still thinking of what he'd say to Johnny. Roy did not want to hurt Johnny's feelings, but at the same time, Roy felt that Johnny's nurse chasing was distracting him from his job.

As Roy entered the kitchen, Cap and the others greeted the senior medic.

"Roy, how are you and Gage working out?" Engineer Mike Stoker asked as Roy poured himself a cup of coffee, then joined the others at the kitchen table.

"Frankly, Mike, I'm having my doubts about Johnny." Roy sighed. "He's a good medic and all, but his girl chasing is making me crazy!"

"What do you mean, Roy?" Cap Hammer prompted.

"Cap, everytime we're at Rampart, Johnny's always chasing some nurse." Roy replied.

"So? What's wrong with that?" Fireman Chester "Chet" Kelly asked.

"Chet, when we're on duty, Johnny's mind should be on the job. Everytime he chases some girl, he totally forgets about the job."

"Do you want me to have a talk with him?" Cap Hammer asked.

"No, Cap, It should be a peer that talks to him." Roy shook his head. "It has to be me that talks to him."

"Roy, could your concern be because Johnny is single and you're married?" Fireman Marco Lopez asked. "Girl chasing is part of single life for a guy."

"Yeah, but should Johnny be using Rampart as a dating service?" Roy asked.

"Has Dixie complained or one of her nurses?" Cap asked.

"Not yet. I just want to prevent things from going that far." Roy told his Captain.

"Roy, let Johnny be for now. If Dix or one of her nurses complains, then, I'll have a talk with John." Cap Hammer assured Roy.

"Okay, Cap, if you think that's best." Roy agreed.

"Where is Johnny anyway?" Chet asked.

"He's outside, washing the engine." Roy replied as the tones went off.

Squad 51, Man down. 4567 Hollywood. 4567 Hollywood. Timeout: 16:32

"Squad 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Cap Hammer responded as Johnny and Roy sped out of the station, sirens full blast
___________________

Later when the squad returned from their run, Roy could be heard yelling at Johnny.

"Thanks alot, you Son of a bitch!" Roy growled as he and Johnny entered the rec room. "I nearly got shot cause you were eyeing some girl!"

"I didn't know the guy had a gun!" Johnny argued.

"Yeah, because you weren't giving a fuck about my safety!" Roy argued. "John, all you cared about was the pretty lady! You have a one track mind!"

"Roy, it is not my job to protect your fat ass!" Johnny yelled back. "I've got enough to protect my own!"

"Johnny, I could've died on the run! Don't you see that?" Roy softened. "Partners are supposed to look out for each other."

"Roy, I'm sorry. You're right. My mind should've been on business." Johnny sobbed. "I guess I'm just easily distracted!"

"John, I hate to say this, but I don't think you and I will work out as partners. Johnny, your life is just one big party, all fun and games! I need a partner that's more like me." Roy told him. "I need to know that I can trust my partner with my safety. I need a partner who shares my values."

"I understand." Johnny sniffed. "I'll request a transfer."

"No, John, I will. I'm sorry things didn't work out for us." Roy said, then made his way to Cap's office.

____________________

One hour later, Roy left for his new post Johnny chose to be at headquarters when Roy left so he could avoid an emotional scene with Roy. While he was there, Battalion Chief Carl Howe called Johnny into his office.

"You wanted to see me, Sir?" Johnny asked, snapping to attention.

"Sit down, Gage." The Chief ordered.

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied, sitting in the chair behind him.

"Gage, what does being a fireman mean to you?" The short Chief asked, looking Johnny in the eye.

"Sir, could you elaborate?" A shaking Johnny asked.

"Gage, what I wanna know is why you joined the fire service." The Chief asked.

"Sir, is this about DeSoto?" Johnny asked the Chief.

"Gage, DeSoto nearly died cause of your girl chasing!" Chief Howe yelled. "Johnny, your partner depends on you for his very safety! His life is in your hands! If DeSoto had died, you would've been responsible! We don't need guys in this department who use it as a way to find a date! If that's why you joined, then turn in your resignation now!"

Johnny shook as the chief's lecture continued.

"Gage, when you're in uniform, you should be all business." Howe said. "Do your girl chasing off-duty. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir." A pale Johnny nodded.

"Gage, you're a good firefighter, you just need to grow up. Dismissed." Howe told him.

Johnny stood and saluted his superior, then left the office, then headquarters. Arriving back at 51's minutes later, Johnny went directly to the rec room where Cap and the others watched TV.

"Got a problem, Johnny?" Chet Kelly asked as Johnny sat down on the sofa next to Captain Hammer.

"Yeah, I nearly got my partner killed today." Johnny replied, trying not to cry.

"Johnny, you just need to learn to focus on business when on duty." Cap soothed. "Firefighting is a serious business. It's even more so for you cause you're a medic."

"Cap, I didn't mean to make Roy mad or make him leave." Johnny sobbed. "I didn't know the guy had a gun!"

"Johnny, that guy could've shot, maybe killed Roy." Cap Hammer stated. "If Roy hadn't turned around when he did, he would've been dead. As his partner, you are his safety net. He relies on you to look out for him on a call, especially in a fire or on the squad. You are each other's eyes and ears out there. You are your partner's safety net."

"I can't blame Roy for leaving. I let him down." Johnny realized.

"You did, but you learn from this and go on." Mike Stoker replied. "John, I think you see things differently because you don't have a wife and family who depends on you as Roy does. How would you have explained what happened to Chris and Tammy DeSoto if their dad had died? How could you look those kids in the eye? How would you have explained it to Joanne?"

"The Chief would do that." Johnny replied.

"Johnny, Joanne would look to you, his partner, for answers." Cap Hammer told him.

"Then maybe there shouldn't be partners. I have enough to protect my ass, why should I be responsible for someone else's too?" Johnny shot back. "Maybe, everyone should be on their own in this department!"

Before Cap could argue, the tones sounded.

Engine 51, station 127, Structure fire with explosion. 32 Love St. 32 Love St. Timeout: 15:02.

"Engine 51, 10-4-KMG-365." Cap acknowledged, then boarded the engine.

Once they were gone, Johnny lowered the apparatus bay door, then went to the dorm to lay down. As sleep took over, Johnny was glad the Roy was gone.

"Johnny! Johnny! Wake up!" Johnny heard a voice command.

Johnny opened his eyes to see an elderly gentleman standing before him.

"Grandfather?" Johnny whispered. "You died long ago!"

"Johnny, come, let me show you something!" The old man hissed, taking Johnny's hand.

Johnny soon found himself at station eight.

"Johnny, you have your way, no partners, no teamwork!" His Grandfather told him. "No Captain either!"

The old man faded from view as Johnny looked around. The first thing he noticed was that the station was a shambles. Dirty dishes were piled up in the sink, paperwork sat undone, beds were unmade in the dorm. The trucks and apparatus bay needed a good cleaning along with the rest of the station. As Johnny gazed in shock, the other members of the crew came in.

"Morning, Gage." Roy DeSoto smiled and slurred.

Johnny almost gagged on the booze on Roy's breath.

"Roy, you're drunk!" Johnny yelled. "You're all a mess!"

"Johnny-Baby, take it easy!" Roy slurred, clapping Johnny on the shoulder. "We're all fit for duty, right, Stoney?"

"Right, Roy." Stoney agreed, drunkenly.

"Stoney, where are your bugles?!" Johnny demanded.

"Bugles?" Stoney giggled. "Am I the Captain or somethin'?"

Johnny gritted his teeth and walked into the dorm.

"Grandfather!" Johnny called.

"Yes?" The old man asked, appearing to Johnny once more.

"Grandfather, this station is a mess!" Johnny cried.

"It's just what you asked for, John." His Grandfather smiled. "No partners, no teamwork and no Captains and most of all, no regulations."

"A fire station can't run this way!" Johnny sobbed. "I never meant to hurt Roy!"

"The fact is, you did." The old man told him. "You see, you left Roy vulnerable in a dangerous situation. You were so distracted by that young lady that you forgot all about him. That was like inviting someone or something to kill him."

"I guess I never thought of his safety." Johnny realized. "Roy's right, I do have a one track mind."

***

Roy, meanwhile, was being delivered some bad news by the Chief at headquarters,

"I'm sorry, DeSoto, there are no openings on squads at other stations." Chief Howe told him.

"Sir, I'll take anything you have. An engine, a snorkel, a patrol, even a brushfire station. Anything, as long as I don't have to work with Gage."

"DeSoto, six months ago, you were excited about training Gage to be a Paramedic. What's changed?" The Chief asked. "Is Gage a good medic?"

"Yes, Sir." Roy nodded.

"Does he do his fair share?" Howe asked.

"Yes, Sir." Roy again replied.

"Then what's the problem, DeSoto?!" The Chief demanded.

"His girl chasing." Roy replied. "You heard what happened earlier today, Sir."

"Yes, I did." The Chief nodded. "DeSoto, I already tore into
John about that.

"Sir, I like John as a medic, but the person sucks." Roy told his superior. "For him, life is all fun and games. It's as if he lives in a cartoon."

"What would you recommend I do?" Howe asked.

"Sir, with all due respect. I just don't think John Gage has what it takes to be a Firefighter. I respectfully suggest that John Roderick Gage be dismissed from the fire service."

"On what grounds?" Howe countered. "He's done nothing wrong, procedurally. He hasn't broken any regulations. He can't be dismissed without a hearing."

"Then I'd like to file a complaint on the grounds that he purposely jeopardized my safety with his carelessness and incompetence." Roy told the Chief.

***

Two days later, Johnny got the news from Chief Howe.

"I don't believe this!!" Johnny shouted. "I didn't know the guy had a gun!!"

"DeSoto says otherwise." The Chief informed Johnny. "He says that you recklessly disregarded his safety at that rescue. We'll convene a disciplinary board as soon as possible, in the meantime, I'll have to relieve you of duty."

"Don't bother. I quit!" Johnny yelled handing over his badge and a letter of resignation to the Chief. "You know, I dreamed of being a fireman ever since I was a kid, but I never dreamed back then that my fellow firemen would stab me in the back! I thought we were supposed to support each other! I was wrong and I'm glad that if I had a fire at my house, you sons of bitches wouldn't be the ones toned out! All of you can jump off a bridge for all I care!"

All watched in shock as Johnny cleaned out his locker and left the station.

________

A few days later, Johnny had a new job. He didn't tell any of his friends or family because he felt he brought shame on them all as well as himself. As Johnny mopped the high school's halls, he kept his head down, never looking anyone in the eye, never speaking. He was there to do a job, not make friends or get dates. Johnny had even given a false name on his application to protect his privacy.

For the most part, the teachers and other staff left Johnny alone as did the kids. To them, he was just a janitor, there to clean up after them. Johnny was happy because he no longer had responsibility for others or their safety. His job was just cleanup.

As the days turned into months, Johnny became a hermit, drifting further and further from people, until he was living alone in a cabin in the woods. He had lost the janitorial job just months after being hired because he failed to show one too many times for work. Johnny now made his way picking up cans On the sides of roads and freeways. Even the cabin in the woods was too much for Johnny to handle so he moved into a cave, joining the ranks of the many lost and wondering souls throughout LA.

As months turned into a year, Johnny Gage no longer officially existed anywhere. Johnny was careful not to fill out any documents for he did not wanna be found. He was happy living on the fringes of society and had little use of people or things. Whatever Johnny got, he got through Charities or handouts from kind people, but those were few and far between, so most of the time most of what Johnny got came from dumpsters.

Johnny was hardly recognizable now for his hair almost touched his feet and was dirty and tangled. He also sported a beard which went to his belly. Johnny rarely washed nor groomed because he lived alone. He figured that he no longer had to be clean for anyone, so why waste the energy?

As another Christmas came around, It found Johnny at a local soup kitchen, waiting in line amongst the other homeless people for his share of the soup and bread. The now Dixie Brackett worked at the mission as it's director and as she walked by the line, she thought she saw a familiar face, so she went over for a closer look.

"It is you, isn't it?" She asked.

Johnny quickly turned to walk away, but Dixie grabbed him.

"C'mon, John, you think I wouldn't recognize those eyes?" Dix smiled at him.

"Dix, you look great." Johnny whispered, knowing that he couldn't run anymore.

"Johnny, what happened to you?" Dix asked, almost crying. "Why'd you let yourself get this way?"

"Dix, you wouldn't understand." Johnny replied. "Just forget you saw me."

With that, Johnny turned and left the mission. Dix followed him and cut him off at the pass.

"Johnny, I'm not letting you disappear again!" Dix told him. "C'mon back inside."

"Dix-" Johnny hesitated, but was led inside despite his protests.

Dix then led Johnny into her office and called her husband, Dr.Kelly Brackett, who arrived moments later.

"My god! That is Johnny!" Kel exclaimed. "Gage, what the hell has happened to you?!"

"Doc, I live the way I want now." Johnny replied. "I have no need of anyone."

"So, you just dropped out." Dix guessed. "People were sore and demanding too much, so you just dropped out."

"If you were me, wouldn't you have done the same?" Johnny asked of both.

"No, I would've been a man and faced up to Roy and his charges." Kel answered. "Instead, you've cut yourself off from people and become just another lost soul."

"Johnny, you were a good Paramedic, but you got distracted by any pretty face." Dixie added. "Johnny, it's time to rejoin the world again."

"It's too late." Johnny replied. "My firefighting days are over. I was a boy of Twenty-one then. A bit foolish maybe, but a fireman nonetheless. Even if I was to go back, what station would have me? Would anyone want me as their partner?"

"Johnny, look, I know that you didn't leave on the best of terms, but I still think you're worth another chance." Dix encouraged. "I just hate to see a talent like you go to waste."

**

TWO MONTHS LATER.........

A cleaned up, retrained and recertified John Gage returned to active duty as a Los Angeles County firefighter at station 51. As he walked through the apparatus bay, John was delighted to find the old squad still there, but shocked to find a new Ward LaFrance engine in place of the open cab Crown that had been there when he was last there.

"You must be John Gage." A new voice said as a tall, lanky Captain joined Johnny as he admired the new engine. "I'm Captain Hank Stanley."

"Nice to meet you, Cap. You can call me Johnny." Johnny grinned. "What happened to Captain Hammer?"

"He was transferred just after you left." Roy DeSoto smiled, coming in from the lockeroom and embracing Johnny. "Still skinny, huh, Junior?"

"Yeah. You've got a bit of a paunch there, Pally." Johnny teased. "Joanne's feeding you good."

"C'mon, let's go stow your stuff." Roy smiled. "I've got your bunk and locker all ready for you."

 

END PART 7