Copyright: April 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: The Money Pits

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: SLASH

Pairing: Hank/Johnny/Roy

Archive: Yes

Summary: Picking up where the E! ep "Inheritance tax" leftoff, we follow Roy and Johnny as the deal with the bad news that Lawyer Marshall has just given them.

Content Warning: Harsh Language. Graphic M/M sex. Graphic Violence.

 

The Money Pits
by Robin R. Neher

"Eighteen dollars and seventy-five cents! Some remembrance!" Johnny Gage muttered. "All the rest went to a stupid, worthless cat!"

"Johnny, shut up about it already!" Roy DeSoto yelled. "That's all I've heard for the last two shifts! That's life, Gage! Like it or leave it!"

Johnny just glared as Roy drove the squad toward the station after an early morning fire. It had been four days since Lawyer Marshall had been at the station with news of Roy and Johnny's
inheritance sum and Johnny had not taken the news well.

"I guess I was askin for it! You were being realistic about things, Roy! All I could see were dollar signs!" Johnny griped.

An exasperated Roy pulled the squad over on a deserted road. He and Johnny were gonna get this out, once and for all

"Okay, out with it!" Roy ordered. "You've had a bug up your butt ever since you found out we didn't exactly get a million dollars from the old lady! Johnny, we were remembered, that's what counts!"

"Roy, When I think of an inheritance, I think of large amounts of money!" Johnny told his best friend.

"So that's it. You feel this lady let us down because she didn't leave us a pot of gold." Roy realized, calming down. "Johnny, don't you realize that it's the thought that counts? Sweetheart,
Money is just spendable paper that can be gone before you know it. You're better than that. Johnny, you carry far more treasure then you realize."

"How so?" Johnny asked.

"Honey, you have people around you that love you for you. A rich person doesn't have that. You have a job you love, how many people can say that?" Roy asked. "So, you don't come to work in a limo or own a yacht, does it matter? So, we don't own houses with white picket fences, my kids don't go to private school and my dog is just a mutt, so what? Johnny, I'm happy with my life and you should be with yours."

"I guess you're right, Roy." Johnny sighed. "It's just that there are times when I wish I had a bigger place or drove a Lambrigini, ya know? After all, we live in Los Angeles, entertainment capital of the world.

"I know, Junior, but we do a far more important job. Let me ask you, Could Rock Hudson or Gary Cooper put out a fire or save a life like we can? Could you bring a part to life like they do?" Roy asked.

"I'll admit I'd make a pretty lousy actor." Johnny laughed. "I'll bet Rock and Gary would make lousy firemen too!"

"They probably would!" Roy agreed. "I believe that our life's journey is to help people. That's what we were destined to do from the time we were born. The rich life just isn't for us."

"We wouldn't fit in anyway with all those snooty folks." Johnny agreed, as the CB radio came to life.

Squad 51, what is your status?

"Squad 51, available." Johnny acknowledged.

Squad 51, return to quarters.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny acknowledged.

"Sounds like Cap's horny for you again." Roy smiled as he and Johnny raced toward station fifty-one.

_________________

As soon as the squad arrived back at the station, Captain Hank Stanley came to meet it.

"John, there's someone here to see you, Pal. He's in the kitchen." Cap said.

"Thanks, Cap." Johnny replied, getting out of the squad and heading to the kitchen.

Upon arriving there, Johnny was shocked by who he saw sitting at the table.

"Hello, John Roderick, it's been a long time." Stated the gray-haired man.

"You have alot of nerve, Adam!" Johnny growled. "How dare you just show up after all these years!"

"John, can't you call me dad?" The older man asked.

"Why should I?" Johnny hissed. "Just because I come from your sperm and mom's egg?! You were never a father to me and you never will be! You're just a deadbeat who walked away from his responsibilities twenty years ago!"

"Johnny, please!" His father pleaded.

"Get the hell out of this station before I throw you out!" Johnny yelled. "I want nothing to do with you, nor do I want anything from you!"

"Okay, Son, I'll leave." The older man replied, softly. "I just wish you could see past your bitterness and forgive the way your brothers have."

Johnny watched as the man left the station then went to inventory the squad. Roy came in to help shortly after.

"Johnny, what was all the shouting about?" Roy asked as Johnny checked the drug box.

"Just taking out some garbage, Pally." Johnny replied. "No big deal."

"John, I heard the man call you Son." Roy pushed further.

Roy soon wished he hadn't asked as Johnny delivered a stinging slap to his face.

"Don't you ever mention that scum again!" Johnny yelled, then stormed out back, leaving a stunned Roy behind.

**

Two hours later, Roy went to check on Johnny, who was still out back. Roy found the younger man hanging hoses.

"Johnny, can we talk now?" Roy asked, cautiously. "Why'd you slap me?"

"Roy, I'm sorry." John sighed. "It wasn't you I was angry at."

"What are you angry at?" Roy asked. "Was it that man who came to see you earlier? C'mon, Junior, talk to me."

"Roy, I don't wanna talk about it! Now get the fuck outta here!" Johnny screamed.

Roy just turned and walked back to the station, leaving Johnny to hang the hoses again

________________

Once back inside, Roy went to Cap's office.

"Hank, you gotta talk to Johnny. First he slaps me, then takes my head off!" Roy told Cap.

"Roy, sit down." Hank invited. "That man that you saw with Johnny was his biological father, Adam Roderick Little Feather. He walked out on Johnny's mom and their kids when Johnny was five. Johnny has never forgiven him for that."

"I see." Roy nodded from his chair across the desk from Cap.

"What made things even worse was that Adam always came to see Roscoe and Ross, Johnny;s twin brothers, doing things for them, taking them places, being at school events, etc, but Adam ignored Johnny completely."

"That poor baby." Roy shook his sandy head. "No wonder he got so upset. Who could blame him? He never had a father. Now, he just shows up after all these years. Cap, could he have heard about the inheritance?"

"Adam? I suppose it's possible." Cap replied. "But you guys didn't get that much."

I know, but when there's money involved, all kinds of people come out of the woodwork." Roy mused.

"Roy, Johnny's just dealing with lots of old hurts right now." Hank said. "Just give him time. Be patient with him."

"Okay, Cap." Roy replied, getting up to leave. "Thanks."

"Anytime." Hank smiled.

Once outside the office, Roy went out back to try and talk to Johnny again. This time, Roy found Johnny crying in the camper.

"Johnny, Hank told me everything." Roy whispered. "I wish I could say that I know what you're feeling, but I don't."

"IT'S NOT FAIR!!" Johnny screamed and sobbed. "ROSS AND ROSCOE HAD THEIR FATHER, BUT I NEVER DID!!!"

"No, Johnny, it wasn't.". Roy agreed. "Did it ever occur to you that Adam just came to see if you and he could reconcile?"

"It's too late!" John sobbed.

"It's never too late, Honey." Roy said, gently. "So he wasn't there for you as a child, but you have the opportunity to know him now. At least give him a chance to tell his side of things. I have a feeling you really don't know the whole truth as to why he left. What were you told about that?"

"Nothing. One day he was there, the next he was gone." Johnny sniffed. "Shortly after, my birth certificate was changed and I was made to go by mom's maiden name, Gage."

"Maybe your mom threw him out for all you know. Johnny, nobody says you have to call Adam dad, but would it hurt for you to at least let him see his son and get to know him?" Roy asked. "Will you at least hear what he has to say?"

"Okay." Johnny relented. "Will you and Hank be there?"

"Sure, Pal." Hank smiled, joining them. "We can have the meeting right here at the station. Johnny, this man is your father like it or not and you should let him be a part of your life in some way. If not as your father, then as a friend."

"Should I tell him about us?" Johnny asked.

"Only if you want to." Hank purred, kissing Johnny.

Roy too kissed Johnny.

"Johnny, why don't we get you a nice hot shower?" Roy suggested. "You'll feel a whole lot better."

"Umm, I like the way you think, Pally." Johnny smiled, crookedly.

END PART 3: The Money Pits