Copyright: April 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Smoke Eater II-Respect is a two way street.

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: In this sequel to the E! ep "Smoke Eater", we follow our heroes in their continuing struggle with Captain Robertson. This story begins at scene just after the Cap collapses during the last fire in this episode.

Content Warning: Harsh language. A little violence against Johnny.

 

Smoke Eater II-Respect is a two way street.
by Robin R. Neher

As Roy and pulled away from the scene with the victims of a chemical fire, one patient was coughing and argumentative, one by the name of Captain Bob Robertson.

"I said I don't need a damn hospital!" Cap Robertson coughed. "Let me off this gurney, Gage!"

"Cap, at the station, you may be in charge, but here, you are my patient and I outrank you!" Growled Paramedic John Gage "I'm doing my job!"

"Dammit, Gage, I said I don't want treatment!" Robertson yelled as he pulled the IV out of his arm and leapt off the gurney.

Shoving Johnny aside along with the ambulance's EMT, Robertson jumped out and rejoined the engine crew. Roy too was shoved out of the way when he tried to stop the senior Captain.

"Roy, Robertson was unconscious a few minutes ago!" Johnny told his partner. "God knows how long he was in that building before we found him!"

"And how long he was breathing those chemicals." Roy agreed, worried. "But this lady is a lot more critical right now."

Johnny sighed as he picked up the biophone.

"Rampart, this is squad 51." Johnny said into it. "Victim number 2 is refusing treatment."

"10-4, 51." Dr. Joe Early's voice came back. "Transport remaining victim."

"10-4, Rampart." Johnny acknowledged, then hung up the biophone. "Roy, I'll meet you at Rampart."

Roy nodded as he took John's helmet and turnout coat, then walked toward the squad. As he did, he caught sight of Cap Robertson, hose in hand, helping with the firefighting efforts.

Damn fool! Roy thought as he got in the squad's driver's seat and started the motor. He the got on the CB.

"LA, Squad fifty-one, 10-8 to Rampart for follow up." Roy reported.

Squad 51. The dispatcher's voice came back as Roy followed the ambulance toward the hospital.

____________

A few minutes later, Johnny and Roy were standing at the nurse's desk, just having turned over their victim to Dr. Brackett's care.

"I just don't get it, Roy." Johnny began. "What isn't Robertson impressed with us?"

"John, Robertson was trained differently than we were." Roy explained. "In his day, there were no such things as Paramedics or SCBAs. They were unheard of then. At that time, many a fireman died because of stunts like Robertson's, but it was chalked up to being part of the job."

"That's right, Johnny." Nurse Dixie McCall agreed, taking her place behind the desk. "At the time I went to nursing school, a nurse didn't even take a blood pressure. All we did then was what a nurse's aide does now."

"I guess with time, the methods change." John realized.

"Exactly. It's the people who sometimes don't." Roy agreed. "That doesn't mean Robertson isn't a good fireman, he's just a little out of step. Like a lot of folks, Robertson is resistant to change."

"The trouble is, can we trust him now?" Johnny worried.

"We have to." Roy answered. "We'll just keep an eye on him while he's with us."

"What do we do if the engine gets called out, but we don't?" Johnny asked as the HT in Roy's hand came to life.

Squad 51, are you available?

"Squad 51, Available." Roy reported.

Squad 51, respond with Engine 51, structure fire. 1117 Ash. 1117 Ash. Timeout: 17:01.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Roy acknowledged as Johnny followed him out the double doors of the ER.

As they raced to the scene, Roy and Johnny were unaware they were being transported back in time. Back to Robertson's time. As they arrived, Roy and Johnny noticed the changes. First they noticed a change in their equipment and squad number.

"Roy, Look!" Johnny yelled, pointing to the squad.

"Squad 14?" Roy asked, in suprise. "Where's our gear?"

"Check the compartments." Johnny encouraged.

Roy did so and found only a recesuitator.

"What's going on here?!" Johnny demanded.

"Johnny, I think we've been taken back in time." Roy whispered in the younger man's ear.

"Back in time?" Johnny repeated.

"Sssssshhh!" Roy hissed. "We can't let anyone here know we're from the future! If we do, we could alter time as we know it!"

"Oh, I get it!" Johnny whispered back. "We're squad 14 cause 51's isn't built yet!"

"You got it." Roy replied. "There's no Paramedic program yet either."

 

END PART 2
TBC.......