Copyright: March 2002 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Ruined

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating:R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Fandom: Emergency!

Summary: Hank loses his dream of being a Battalion Chief.

Content Warning: Harsh language. HANKY ALERT!!!!

 

Ruined
By Robin R. Neher

Hank Stanley sat alone in his darkened office at station fifty-one. He was in a deep depression due to scoring 76th on the Chief's test. His men were concerned. "That poor man." Engineer Mike Stoker whispered as he and the rest of A-shift sat slumped around the station's kitchen table. "He must be taking this so hard."

"I'll bet he's cursing McConnikee." Paramedic John Gage speculated.

"Why would he blame McConnikee?" Fireman Marco Lopez wondered. "The Chief didn't make up the test."

"No, but he was on the board for the oral exam." Paramedic Roy DeSoto reminded his friends. "I'll just bet the burned hat came up."

Hank came in from his office at this time.

"Guys, I failed to make Chief cause I'm a dummy. I saw that test in front of me and I just went blank." Cap told them. "I studied so hard, yet, when it was time for the test, I froze."

"Cap, you can take the test again next year." Roy offered.

"Nah, it's over." Hank shook his head. "I'll never be a Chief. Might as well accept it."

"Cap, it's not the end of the world." Mike offered.

"It is for me, Pal." Cap replied, softly. "I blew it. I spent so much time freaking out over McConnikee that I froze when the real test came. I lost sight of the fact that I'm a fireman, just like all of you."

"No, Cap, you aren't just a fireman, you are a great Captain." Johnny again spoke up. "You are a great leader and an even greater man. You'll make Chief someday. Keep trying."

"It's nice of you to say that, John, but you have no idea what it's like to be in my shoes." Cap said. "I know you think I'm nuts because making Battalion Chief is so important to me."

"Why is it so important, Cap?" Fireman Chester Kelly asked. "Aren't you happy as a Captain?"

"Yeah, but if I made Chief, McConnikee might finally respect me." Hank revealed.

***

All watched as Cap poured himself a cup of coffee from the pot on the stove. A second later, the stillness was broken by the klaxon.

Squad 51, possible jumper. 455 Van Arden. 455 Van Arden. Crosstreet: Nelson. Timeout. 08:23.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Mike Stoker answered as the squad rolled out, lights and sirens on.

"Cap sure is in a funk!" Johnny noted as he and Roy sped to the scene. "Why is he so upset on a Chief's test?"

"Johnny, stop and think about it." Roy replied as he drove. "That test meant alot to him."

"He can always take it again." Johnny offered. "So, he didn't make Chief this time around, big deal!"

"Johnny, you wouldn't think that if you were in his shoes." Roy told him. "Being Chief is everything to Cap."

"Why?!" An exasperated John demanded.

"Johnny, remember when we first started as Paramedics?" Roy asked. "We weren't exactly welcomed with open arms, were we?"

"What does that have to do with Cap?" Johnny hissed.

"Don't you remember how hard we had to work to impress Brackett?" Roy asked of his partner.

"You're thinking that Hank is trying to impress McConnikee by taking the Chief's test!" Johnny realized.

"Exactly." Roy replied. "I have a theory about Cap and the Chief. Wanna hear it?"

"Sure," Johnny answered.

Squad 51. The CB alerted the men.

"Squad 51." Johnny answered.

Squad 51, informant advises that the call was a child's prank. LA advised.

"Squad 51." Johnny sighed as Roy killed the code R response. "Kids! Somebody ought to show them what can happen to a real victim when we get tied up with prank calls!"

"Johnny, we visit the schools and canvas the district. That's all we can do." Roy soothed.

"There oughta be a law!" Johnny griped. "Parents of prank callers should be prosecuted!"

"You'd just fill up jails needlessly." Roy replied. "I think the parents don't educate kids that a phone is not a toy. The also don't make kids understand that emergency numbers are for emergencies only."

"If I had my way, Parents of prank callers would face life in prison!" Johnny growled.

"Johnny, we have bigger fish to fry." Roy reminded him.

"Cap." Johnny guessed.

"What are we gonna do about him?" John wondered as Roy turned the squad around. We have to make Cap feel good about himself again. How bout we give him a party?"

"Nah," Roy hedged. "I don't think Hank Stanley would enjoy your idea of a party. I think we should do our darndest to show Cap what a good Captain he is."

"How?" Johnny asked.

"We do our jobs strictly by the book." Roy smiled. "When we get back to the station, I wanna be able to be able to see myself in the squad's paint job."

"Aw man!" Johnny moaned. "I just polished the squad a couple days ago!"

"Johnny, we have to make Stanley see that we trust him enough to carry out his orders." Roy insisted. "See, I think that part of Cap's problem is that he feels that he isn't getting the respect that should come with both his rank and years of service, especially from you."

"Roy, I do what Cap asks me to!" Johnny argued.

"Not without a fight." Roy countered. "Your fights with Chet don't make it any easier for him either. Your best present to Cap would be a full shift without any argument."

Roy and Johnny were back at the station minutes later. Leaving the squad, both men walked into the kitchen. The engine was on a run, so the both assumed that they had the station to themselves. Both were startled when Hank emerged from his office.

"Fellas," Hank greeted.

"Cap." Roy answered. "How come you're not on the engine?"

"Don't worry, Captain Jacobs is filling in temporarily." Hank replied. "I needed some time by myself."

"What am I gonna do?" Hank asked.

"Cap, what's wrong?" Johnny asked. "Is it the Chief's test? McConnikee?"

"Nah, it's the fact that I talked a big game about being a Chief, then the day comes to prove myself worthy of the title and I freeze." Cap replied. "How can I be taken seriously as a Captain, much less a Chief after that? I can just see it now, there's Captain Stanley, the one who froze during the Chief's test."

"Cap, nobody will say or think that.": Johnny soothed.

"Even you?" Hank asked.

"I have never thought you anything but a good Captain. Roy?" Johnny looked over at his partner.

"How long have you been in the fire service?" Roy asked of Hank.

"Thirteen years." Hank answered.

"Don't you think that after that amount of time, that you are trusted and respected?" Johnny asked. "I trust you with my life."

"Me too." Roy agreed.

"Really?" Hank brightened.

"Do you think that the powers that be downtown would've made you a Captain if they felt you weren't competent?" Roy asked. "You have proven time and time again that you are above reproach as a Captain and a man. You have proven yourself a competent fireman and a more than capable Captain."

"Guys, that's all well and good, but you guys aren't on the promotions board, McConnikee is." Hank sighed. "As long as he's there, I'll never be anything but a Captain."

A few minutes later, the engine returned to the station and Hank retreated to the safety of the dorm. Captain Jacobs and the engine company entered the kitchen.

"Gage, DeSoto." Captain Bill Jacobs greeted.

"Cap." The Paramedics replied.

"How's Stanley?" The 6'2 and blond Cap asked.

"Depressed." Johnny stated.

"Can we talk in the office a minute?" Bill requested.

Roy and Johnny followed the Captain and once inside the office, Roy shut the door.

"Sit down, Boys." Jacobs said, his tone serious.

John and Roy obeyed. Bill the took a seat behind the desk.

"I know you both care deeply for Hank Stanley, but what I need from you both now is an unbiased opinion of his ability to command." Jacobs stated. "As Paramedics, what would you say Stanley's current mental state is?"

"Cap, with all due respect, we are not psychiatrists." Roy replied. "Would you mind telling us what this is about?"

"I know what it's about, Roy!" Johnny hissed. "Captain Jacobs here wants to relieve Stanley of command! Ain't that right, Cap?!"

"I only want what's best for A-shift." Jacobs tried to assure Johnny.

"Cap, we are not about to help you railroad Hank Stanley." Roy told the fill in Captain. "If you want Hank removed from his command, you'll have to see Chief Hout. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have work to do."

Roy and John got up to leave. As they did, Cap Jacobs called after them.

"I will go to Chief Hout!" Jacobs called as the medics headed toward the bay.

As Roy and Johnny started to inventory the squad, the tones sounded.

Squad 51 in place of squad 86, engine 86, Possible suicide. 7000. W. Stanley St. 7000. W. Stanley St. Crosstreet: Jackson. Timeout: 08:50.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Roy acknowledged. "Let's go, Johnny."

Johnny quickly took his place in the squad and he and Roy sped out, lights and sirens full blast. As they got closer to the scene, both wondered if this call was a prank as the earlier one had been.

"What's squad 86 got?" Johnny wondered.

Squad 51, engine 86. What is your ETA? The voice of 86's Captain came over the radio..

"Engine 86, squad 51, ETA 10 minutes." Johnny reported.

10-4, squad 51. 86's Captain acknowledged.

A few minutes later, squad 51 arrived on scene. Engine 86's Captain ran to meet it.

"Let's move it, Boys, this lady's pretty bad!" The Captain advised.

****

Forty-five minutes later, Roy and Johnny were at Rampart. After being assured that their victim was in the care of Dr. Brackett, the Paramedics were talking to Dixie at the ER nurse's station.

"Johnny, you seem a little down." Dix noted.

"I am, Dix." Johnny admitted. "This thing with Hank has really got me down."

"Yeah, Captain Jacobs too." Roy agreed.

"He wants to have Cap removed from command." Johnny said. "Stupid asshole!"

"Johnny, don't say that." Roy stepped in. "The man is a Captain and no matter how we feel about Hank, the station must come first, along with the safety of the guys."

Roy watched as Johnny stalked off down the hall. Roy started to go after him, but Dix gently restrained him.

"Let him go." Dix advised. "He's just upset and cares deeply for Captain Stanley."

"I do too. I just don't want those men we work with put in unnecessary jeopardy." Roy replied.

"I'm sure Johnny doesn't either. It's just that he has a hard time separating friendship from duty at times. He'll realize soon enough that Jacobs concerns are valid."

"I only hope so." Roy worried.

****

When Roy and Johnny returned to the station minutes later, they were met by Captain Jacobs.

"Hank's been removed from command, pending psychiatric evaluation." He informed the medics.

"Whoopie for you!" Johnny sneered.

"Johnny, please, listen to me." Bill pleaded. "I didn't enjoy having to do that. Hank was and will be a danger to you in his current state. Certainly the Paramedic in you must understand that."

"The only thing I understand is that you're an asshole!" Johnny growled. "You don't even know us, yet you have the gaul to come in here and decide what's best for us! Captain, I don't respect you and I will never obey your orders!"

Both Roy and Bill watched as Johnny disappeared out back.

"Is he always like that?" Cap Jacobs asked.

"He's just mad, not at you, but at what you did. I know you did what you felt was right, but to that man out there, Captain Stanley is a hero." Roy soothed. "Cap is a good Captain and Johnny trusts him. For Johnny Gage, that's rare."

"Has a hard time trusting anyone else." Jacobs realized.

"There's been friction between him and other Captains." Roy replied. "Johnny and some of the older Captains just don't mix."

"So, I've read in his record." Jacobs nodded. "I guess I'll just have to earn John's trust."

"Just like Hammer and Stanley had to." Roy nodded.

"Roy, I want to have a line up in five minutes. I want you to make this clear to Gage. He can hate me all he likes, but he will do his job or I can find someone else who can." Bill declared. "I will not put up with stuff like he pulled a few minutes ago."

"I'll make sure he understands." Roy promised. "Can you delay the line up for now? Let's just give Johnny some time to cool down and think things out. I think he'll see we're right once he calms down, he usually does."

"Okay, DeSoto." Jacobs agreed. "You know him better than I do, so I'll trust your judgment."

"Thank you, Captain." Roy nodded. "Johnny really isn't a bad guy, he's just hot headed at times and doesn't always think before he opens his mouth."

With that Roy went into the kitchen where Chet and the others were.

"What's with John?" Chet wanted to know as Roy pulled up a chair.

"He's just having a tough time of Cap being removed from command." Roy informed him. "You know how hot headed John can be."

"We sure do." Marco agreed.

****

Out back, Johnny was fuming as he sat on the stoop. He didn't know who he was the most angry at, Captain Jacobs or himself for reacting as he did to the news of Stanley's removal.

I really should go in and apologize. Johnny thought. Captain Jacobs did what he felt he had to. Maybe he was seeing something in Hank that we weren't. As much as you care about Cap, he isn't really fit for duty right now, Johnny-boy. How fair would that be to the guys. They need and deserve a Captain who can think clearly and focus on the job at hand.

As Johnny thought things through, he realized that he'd been out of line in speaking to Jacobs the way he had. Getting up, Johnny made his way back inside the station and joined the rest in the kitchen.

"You okay?" Roy asked.

"Fellas, I'd like a word with Roy, in private." Johnny requested.

Chet and the rest took their coffee to the rec room so Roy and Johnny could talk.

"Roy, I feel so torn apart by this." Johnny began.

"Why?" Roy asked.

"The Paramedic in me says that Jacobs did the right thing. The friend in me says he was wrong." Johnny explained.

"Johnny, what does the fireman in you think?" Roy asked. "Suppose for a minute that you work on the engine."

"Kay." Johnny replied.

"Now, as that fireman, knowing the condition that Cap is in, what would you do?" Roy asked.

"I know that my first duty is to the safety of my colleagues." Johnny mused. "And to the safety of any potential victims. That sometimes must outweigh any friendship or loyalties to a particular person."

"Exactly." Roy nodded.

"I was wrong." Johnny stated as Captain Jacobs entered the kitchen. "Cap, I'd like to apologize for my earlier outburst. It was way out of line and I'm sorry."

"That's alright, John." Bill smiled. "I heard you telling Roy how torn apart you felt by all this. I also understand that Hank was real close with you guys. I wish all Captains and their crews were close like that. I'm not trying to take Hank away from you. I just wanna be sure he's okay."

"We understand." Roy replied. "Cap, didn't you used to work with Hank when he was an Engineer?"

****

An hour later, the line up was conducted and went off without a hitch. After chores were assigned and completed, all went in their own directions. Bill approached Roy.

"Talk to you a minute, Roy?" The Captain requested.

"Sure," Roy smiled, putting down the newspaper he'd been reading. "Shoot."

"During the line up, I still detected hostility from Gage." Bill said. "I'm really worried that he'll carry out his earlier threat and not listen to me when it really counts."

"Have a seat, Cap." Roy invited, patting a place beside him on the rec room sofa.

Bill sat down a little ways from Roy.

"You're a fairly new Captain, aren't you?" Roy wanted to know.

Jacobs nodded.

"The first thing that any new Captain realizes is that just because he wears bugles on his lapel does not mean automatic respect." Roy explained. "That has to be earned and established over time. As far as Johnny is concerned, he's been on the job long enough to know that the Captain is in charge and that he must be respected, no matter how new he is to the job. Johnny would never do anything as stupid as not following your instructions on a call, would you, John?"

Bill turned in time to see Johnny walk briskly past the rec room. Johnny just walked off without a word in response.

"See what I mean?" Bill asked, throwing his hands in the air. "The engine crew is following him and acting the same way."

"I didn't know that." Roy replied.

"I'm beginning to think that I don't have what it takes to command a station." Bill worried as the tones sounded.

"We shall soon see." Roy smiled.

Station 106, engine 51, engine 8, engine 209. Structure fire. 100 Walters Ave. 100 Walters Ave. Crosstreet: Cronkite. Time: 11:01.

"Engine 51, KMG-365." Bill acknowledged, then joined the crew on the engine.

As the engine rolled out, Roy decided it was time for another talk with Johnny.

***

Meanwhile, at HQ in downtown LA, a long awaited confrontation was just starting.

"You blame me, don't you, Hank?" Edward McConnikee asked of the man who was sitting across the desk from him. "You blame me for failing to score in the top ten on the Chief's test. C'mon, Hank, there's no more hiding at the station now! Let's get everything out in the open and clear the air."

"How do you expect me to feel, you son of a bitch?!" Hank spat. "You've been out to flush me down the toilet ever since I accidentally burned your hat as an Engineer!"

"Why would I wanna do that?" McConnikee asked. "It was a hat, for god's sake! Your problem is that you weren't man enough to just come to me and tell me what happened! The fear that you feel now is your conscience bothering you! I know that you made excuse after excuse for what happened that day! It's just so much easier to lie than to admit to what you did, isn't it?!"

"Hank, it's time to tell the truth now." His wife, Sandy encouraged. "Please, Honey."

Both the Chief and Sandy watched as Hank's face clouded with fury. Hank's long held rage was bubbling to the surface.

"I've hated you ever since that day!" Hank hissed. "You worked me like I was an ox! Nothing I did was ever good enough! I was your Engineer, yet I was nothing to you! Nothing!"

"Hank, what did you want from Captain McConnikee?" Sandy asked. "What drove you to burn his hat that day?"

"I know why he burned my hat." McConnikee said. "He did it cause he knew what a screw up he was then. Sandy, Hank was a puddle everytime I came near him and even when I wasn't around, he was a klutz of an Engineer. He'd lose his own head if it weren't screwed on back then."

"He's right, Honey. Our engine was the worst in the department with me as Engineer. We were lucky to have any hose at all on board most of the time." Hank remembered. "I was breaking more equipment than I was maintaining."

"If you'd have just focused on your job instead of me, you wouldn't have been so clumsy!" The Chief countered. "Hank was a worse suck up than Chet then. He still is an ass kisser."

"I'll admit that my husband worries over you too much now, but then, wasn't he a brand new Engineer?" Sandy asked. "He was young and just learning new responsibilities and of course he'd wanna impress his new Captain."

"Burning a hat is not the way to impress." McConnikee replied.

"Are you saying Hank did it on purpose?" Sandy demanded.

"What do you call setting up a campfire in the parking lot, dousing the hat with gas then setting my hat aflame?" The Chief demanded.

****

Back at 51's, Johnny was sitting alone in the dorm. He was at the desk, typing a letter to the Chief Engineer. He was furious at Cap Jacobs even though he tried to hide it during the line up.

"Complaining to the Chief?" Roy asked, coming in.

"Roy, I'm busy! Leave me alone!" Johnny huffed as he typed.

"Johnny, stop! Think for a minute!" Roy yelled. "What's that letter gonna do?! You wanna get a guy we barely know in trouble?! You're acting on pure anger!"

"Roy, am I just supposed to accept this?!" Johnny asked.

"I can't let you send this." Roy said, ripping the letter from the typewriter.

"It's okay, DeSoto. Let him send it. The Chief will side with me and John will end up with egg on his face." Jacobs smiled.

****

Both men watched as Jacobs left the dorm. Roy then turned to Johnny.

"Gage, if you send that letter, you're gonna ruin any trust the guys have in this Captain." Roy told him. "Cap Jacobs says the engine crew is starting to feel the same as you. He really wonders weather he has what it takes to be a Captain now. Give Captain Jacobs a chance, please?"

"Roy, why don't you let me try?" Requested Engineer Mike Stoker as he entered the dorm.

"It's all yours, Mike." Roy replied, then left the two men alone.

"Why don't you like the Captain, John?" Mike wanted to know.

"He doesn't know us." Johnny replied. "He doesn't know anything about us, yet he comes in and removes Hank from command."

"I see." Mike nodded. "Johnny, I don't think you know all the facts. What you don't seem to understand is that a Captain is a Captain, whether it's Stanley or Jacobs. The rank is the same. A captain's first duty is to the safety of his crew and to all other fireman."

"I know." Johnny sighed. "I'm upset cause I should've seen it."

"What?" Mike asked.

"How devastating not making Chief would be to Cap." Johnny answered. "I never thought he'd react like this. I'm a Paramedic, yet I just thought he was depressed."

"You're not a psychiatrist." Mike soothed. "You're punishing Captain Jacobs for something he didn't do. Hank should've never tested for Chief to begin with."

"Why not?" Johnny asked.

"He was doing it for the wrong reason." Mike replied. "He doesn't wanna be a Chief for himself, he wants to be a Chief to impress McConnikee."

"I never thought of that." Johnny admitted.

"Hey, guys, lunch!" Marco called from the kitchen.

Johnny and Mike left the dorm and joined their friends in the kitchen. Johnny took a place next to Captain Jacobs.

"What station do you normally work out of, Cap?" Johnny asked.

"110 C-shift." Bill answered. "They're a good bunch of men."

"You're lucky, you don't have work with Tom Wheeler." Johnny grinned.

"I'm glad to see a smile back on your face." Roy noted.

"Let me tell you something, Gage. I've worked with Wheeler." Bill smirked. "I subbed on A-shift once there. I can tell you right now that you're a better fireman and Paramedic than he'll ever be."

 

END PART 9