Copyright: June 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Overslept

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: N/A

Fandom: Emergency!

Archive: Yes

Summary: Johnny has overslept. How will he explain it to Cap and Roy?

Content Warning: Harsh language.

 

Overslept
By Robin R. Neher

Johnny Gage awakened to bright sunlight streaming through his bedroom window. Looking at the clock by his bedside, Johnny gaped at the time.

"Ten O'clock! Oh man!" Johnny yelled. "I was supposed to be on duty at eight!"

As a panicked Johnny jumped out of bed, he realized there was no use.

Cap's already called in a replacement by now. John thought climbing back under the covers. Might as well enjoy my extra day off. I'll be suspended anyway. Not that I could blame Cap.

A station can't be shut down because I didn't get up in time. Roy can't be expected to wait on me either. May as well face it, Johnny. You're benched for a least one shift.

Johnny drifted back to sleep again. He awakened again around lunch time, Getting up, he turned on his TV and fixed himself a sandwich. As he ate, Johnny's thoughts again drifted back to the
station.

I'll bet Cap's mad as hell now. Johnny thought. I'll bet Roy and the other guys are getting the riot act about now, thanks to me. I'll bet they're just getting their asses chewed! But know what? I just don't care! Today is mine! The hell with them!

Finished eating, Johnny dressed, grabbed his keys, and headed out for a day of fun in the sun.

___________

Two days later, Johnny wasn't sure he should even go to the station, so he called headquarters and learned he was indeed suspended for a shift without pay. As Johnny angrily hung up the phone, he realized that the suspension was only fair, for Cap Stanley deserved men who cared enough to be on time, so did the taxpayers of Los Angeles County.

As Johnny wondered what to do with himself, there was a knock on his apartment door. Johnny answered it and escorted Nurse Dixie McCall inside.

"Dix, If you came to give me a lecture, I'm not in the mood." Johnny warned as they took seats on his sofa.

"Got suspended, huh?" Dix asked. "Can't say I'm suprised. Johnny, tardiness is becoming a habit with you. A habit that the department can't afford. Don't you think that Captain Stanley is tired of your lame excuses? Johnny, part of any job is punctuality, being there and in uniform at 8 A.M."

"I know." Johnny sighed. "I overslept last shift and by the time I woke up, it was ten o'clock. I figured that Cap and called in a replacement by then, so I didn't bother."

"Johnny, can you imagine how angry Hank was? What about the person who had to replace you?" Dix queried.

"Who did take my place?" John inquired.

"Brice." Dix replied, a smirk on her face.

"Poor Roy." Johnny shook his head. "Brice for two shifts is no picnic."

"It probably isn't for the other guys either." Dix laughed. "Seriously, you're putting all of them on the hot seat too."

"I bet Cap gave them all new assholes." Johnny agreed.

"Chet passed out, he was so shaken by Cap's rampage." Dixie informed the dark-haired medic. "He's still afraid to go to work."

"Chet? No way!" Johnny guffawed.

"I'm not kidding, John." Dix insisted.

Johnny stopped laughing when he realized the blonde nurse was indeed serious.

"He really is afraid to go to the station?" Johnny asked.

"Very." Dix answered. "Marco and the others and so panicked that they come to attention everytime Stanley gets near them. They won't even breathe without his okay."

"Man, I really did it." Johnny whispered. "I brought Cap's wrath on them all."
__________

Two days later, Johnny arrived for work and was in uniform on time. As he waited for the others to change, Johnny noticed that Roy had yet to speak to him.

"Morning." Johnny greeted his partner.

Roy just continued changing for work without response. As he finished, he turned to Johnny.

"Gage, I would advise you to be seen and not heard for awhile." Roy stated. "I also suggest that you stay well clear of Cap too."

With that, Roy went to the kitchen for coffee. Johnny realized that he would have to work hard to get back in the guys good graces. As Johnny closed his locker, Hank Stanley entered. Johnny snapped to.

"Captain Stanley, Fireman John Gage reporting for duty!" Johnny barked.

"Whatever." Hank shrugged, then went to join the rest for coffee.

Johnny just sighed as he followed Cap into the kitchen. Going in, Johnny grabbed a cup and went to fill it with coffee when Roy grabbed his arm

"That's for fireman who can show up on time!" Roy hissed.

"Do you not want me here?!" Johnny demanded. "Just say so and I'll be gone!"

"Johnny, it's not that-," Cap began.

"It's that we got in trouble cause of you!" Roy finished, angrily. "McConnikee pulled a suprise inspection on the day you decided not to show up! You got us put on report!"

"Guys, I didn't know!" Johnny cried, trying to defend himself.

"Cap nearly got demoted, thanks to you!" Chet Kelly added.

"Brice was here, wasn't he?" Johnny questioned.

"Brice didn't get here before the Chief arrived." Cap told Johnny. "I had to explain why there weren't six firemen here."

"Cap, guys, I'm sorry about the other day, but how was I supposed to know the Chief was coming?" Johnny asked. "I'm not a mind reader."

"We know that!" Roy hissed, trying to control his anger with his partner. "The problem is, you didn't bother to call! If you'd called, Cap could've gotten Brice here earlier! Johnny, time after time, you're late and always have some excuse as to why! Frankly, I'm tired of the whole damn mess!"

"Is that the way you all feel?" Johnny wondered, fearing the answer.

"Johnny, Roy deserves a partner he can rely on to be in on time. All the time, not just every blue moon." Cap said. "I'd like you to consider a temporary transfer."

"I get the message. I'll clear out my locker." Johnny answered. "I know that the good of the station has to come first. I understand."

With that, Johnny went to the lockeroom, got his things, got his turnout coat from the squad and his dress hat from the bay, and left the station. Roy followed him out, Johnny's helmet in hand.

"Don't forget this." Roy said, handing the helmet over.

"Thanks." Johnny softly replied, taking the helmet. "Roy, if I could take back two shifts ago, I would."

"I know." Roy nodded. "Johnny, you need to work on your work ethic."

With that, Roy turned and went back inside the station. A dejected Johnny got in his truck and drove away.
_________

The next afternoon, Johnny reported to headquarters to get his new assignment. As he waited, Chief Hout called to him from his office.

"Gage, see you a minute, Son?" The Chief Engineer called.

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied, making his way toward the number one Chief's office.

Going inside, Johnny snapped to.

"At ease." Chief Hout said, gently. "Have a seat, John."

Johnny sat down across from the Chief.

"Son, I hear you've been having a problem with constant tardiness." Hout began. "I'm not here to chew your ass. I wanna help if I can."

"John, the constant lateness for work isn't like you." Hout continued. "Is there something going on I should know about?"

Johnny sighed, he knew it was time to tell.

"Sir, my younger sister, Rhonda, she was badly injured in a car wreck a few days ago." Johnny revealed "It was during my trip home to Wyoming for vacation. I was driving."

"John, I'm so sorry." Chief Houst said. "Why didn't you tell Roy or anyone else?"

"Because, when my parents found out what happened, they blamed me!" Johnny said, his voice cracking. "I am the oldest
and I was supposed to protect her!"

With that, Johnny buried his head in his hands and sobbed. The Chief just patted Johnny's shoulder, trying to offer any comfort he could.

"Johnny, you can't protect or save everyone all the time, even family." The Chief said. "Being a Paramedic doesn't make you
God or superman. You can't be with your sister 24/7 either. You have your own life to lead."

"Tell that to my folks!" Johnny sniffed.

"Have you talked to them since the accident?" The Chief inquired.

"I can't face them!" Johnny cried. "I let Rhonda down in their eyes!"

"John, did it ever occur to you that your parents may have said those things out of shock and grief over what happened?" Hout whispered. "People can say things they don't mean in a moment of crisis. Surely, you've seen it as a Paramedic."

"Yeah, but it's different when it's family." Johnny sniffed. "I can't blame my parents for feeling as they do. I'm an adult, I have a full life. Rhonda is only seventeen and really hasn't lived yet. She's their baby girl and the family favorite."

"John, you and your folks need to talk this all out. Clear the air." Chief Hout advised. "In the meantime, you need to get you ass back on the job and your mind on the job."

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied. "I guess I have been more then a little distracted lately. I can't blame the guys at 51's for feeling as they do either. They feel they can't count on me."

"Johnny, Roy deserves a partner he can trust. If he can't trust you to be there and ready for a call, how can he trust you at a rescue?" The Chief countered. "Don't you think that unfairly compromises his ability to function?"

"Yeah, but where am I going to be assigned?" John inquired.

"Right here, to temporary desk duty." Chief Hout replied. "You will serve as Paramedic representee for this district, visiting schools, workplaces, wherever, spreading the word about the Paramedics. As of now, I'm putting you off-limits to any squad or engine, understand?"

"Yes, Sir." John nodded, his dejection obvious.

________

A week later, Johnny was reassigned to Rampart's ER. Dixie McCall watched with concern as did Dr. Kelly Brackett as Johnny worked at the hospital's base station, answering calls from squads as they came in.

"He looks so sad." Dix shook her head. "So depressed."

"Umm." Dr. Brackett agreed. "Poor kid. First, his sister's accident, then his parents disowning him, then being taken away from the squad."

"I understand why the Chief did that. Johnny really couldn't function out there, nor can he be expected to with all that's going on with his sister." Dix answered. "Add to that being constantly reminded of the squad by the squawking of that CB."

"Dix, I think I know how to lift Johnny's spirits." Kel smiled. "Roy and Johnny are supposed to be a team. If Johnny's transferred, Roy should be too."

"Kel, I don't think it's fair to take Roy off the squad too." Dix replied after a minute. "Johnny has to realize that in the state he's in now, he'd end up jeopardizing someone and maybe causing somebody to get hurt. Frankly, I wouldn't want Gage near me right now if I were a patient."

"You're right, Dix." Johnny said, coming over to join them, obviously trying not to cry. "I'm not safe for anyone right now. Victims, Roy, me."

"Johnny, I didn't mean-" Dix began.

"No, Dixie," Johnny cut the nurse off. "The Chief was right when he said that Roy deserves a partner he can trust. It'd be different if I worked in a telephone company or a factory. People don't rely on you for their lives in those jobs. In a fire station, one late person, even five minutes, can leave a much needed service out of reach for a lot of people, including firemen. Roy and the guys have a right to be mad."

"Johnny, they could've at least given you a chance to explain." Dix soothed.

"Dix, why should they listen? They have their own problems!" Johnny yelled. "They don't need or want me! I've made up my mind! I'm quitting the fire department!"

Dix and Kel reeled in shock at Johnny's sudden announcement.

"You're not serious!" Kel gasped.

"I've already turned in my badge and letter of resignation." Johnny informed both. "I'm no longer a member of the LaCoFd."

Kel and Dixie then watched as Johnny took out his paramedic pin and certification and laid them on the base station counter.

"Give those to someone who can handle being one." Johnny said, then walked out the ER's double doors, leaving Kel and Dix powerless to stop him.

________

Two days later, Roy was called into Captain Stanley's office.

"Have a seat, Roy." Hank instructed.

"Cap?" Roy asked, worriedly.

"Roy, I think you'd better sit." Cap solemnly insisted. "The news isn't good."

"Joanne?" Roy asked, taking a seat. "Is it my kids?"

"No, Roy, it's Johnny." Cap softly replied. "Johnny resigned from the department and the Paramedics."

"Tell me you're kidding! This is a joke, right?" Roy asked, his emotions welling up. "Kelly!"

"I wish it was, Pal." Hank soothed. "I honestly wish it was. The Chief called me yesterday with the news."

Hank watched as the sandy-haired medic rose from his seat and started to pace the room.

"It's my fault!" Roy cried. "If only I hadn't tore into him!"

"Hey, Roy, hey, it's nobody's fault!" Hank said, trying to calm his man. "We all tore into Gage, you weren't the only one. We didn't know about John's sister. How could we have? Johnny didn't exactly tell us about the accident."

"If only we'd let him explain!" Roy cried, racked with guilt. "If only we'd listened! If only I'd listened!"

"Roy-," Hank tried to cut in.

"If he gets hurts or killed, it'll be our fault!" Roy cried, sobs overtaking him.

_________

TWO WEEKS LATER........

Johnny Gage sweated as he pulled weeds from his mother's garden at her small home in Laramie, Wyoming The desert sun beat down on his bare back.

"Johnny, dear, it's too hot to be doin that now. Come on in and have a glass of iced tea." Angie Gage suggested.

Johnny looked at his mother. Angie, a Sioux Indian, had the same dark features and crooked smiled as her son. Johnny could never refuse her anything. For a woman of almost sixty, Angie was in better shape than most women half her age.

"Okay, Mama." Johnny grinned his own crooked grin, and after putting away the garden tools in a nearby shed, joined his mother inside the cool house.

Going into the kitchen, Johnny joined Angie at the table over iced tea and homemade cookies.

"Johnny, have you seen your father yet?" Angie asked her Son.

"Mom, he made it clear last time I was here, I'm no Son of his." Johnny replied. "In his eyes, I killed my Sister."

"Johnny, there's alot that you don't know about your father. John Roderick Gage, Sr. is a stubborn, pride-filled man, not unlike his Son. You both let bruised egos and hurt pride get in the way of expressing your love for one another and for people around you. You both are so private, so introverted, that neither one will let others into your hearts. Johnny, your father has lost alot." Angie told him.

"The ranch." Johnny realized.

"That's part of it." Angie nodded. "You see, it was your Dad's dream that you'd take over the ranch one day. He never saw you the way I did. I knew that you were destined for far more than that ranch. I knew that one day, you were gonna serve and help people. Johnny, you've had opportunities that your dad never did. He had to quit school to support his family in the 9th grade."

"I never knew. That's why dad used to ride me if I bought home anything below a B on my report card." Johnny realized.

"Your dad wanted you to have the education he never got." Roy finished. "The flip side of that was that he wanted you to go to college and earn a business degree so you could take over the ranch. He never dreamed that you had plans for the fire academy."

"Roy, how?" Johnny asked.

"Your Mom wrote me after you first arrived here." Roy replied. "Johnny, you're destined for a career in firefighting. You're a natural at it. As for your father, one day, he'll wake up and see all the things he's missed with you because of his foolish pride. Are you gonna be just like him and wish you'd come back to the career you loved?"

Roy laid Johnny's badge and paramedic certification on the table. Johnny took the things and placed them in his jeans pocket.

"Fireman John Gage, Jr." Johnny grinned. "I always did like the sound of that."

"Us too." Angie and Roy agreed.

****

Later that evening, Johnny and Roy were sitting in the guest room of Angie's house, talking.

"I'm real sorry about Rhonda, Johnny." Roy said. "I know her death must've been rough on you."

"Roy, Rhoda and I were so apart in age." Johnny sobbed. "Yet, we were so close! When I'd come home on vacation, we were inseparable! It's not fair! We should've had more time together! There was still so much to do and see! I was robbed, Roy! Some drunk took my kid sister from me!"

Johnny wept as Roy gathered him in his arms.

"That Son of a bitch father of mine didn't even tell me she died!" Johnny sobbed. "He didn't invite me to the funeral! I hurt too, Pally! I hurt too!"

"John, your father's hurting too." Roy reminded his friend. "Rhonda was his daughter. He's grieving too, not only Rhonda, but the loss of the ranch. You see, that ranch was more than a house and barn to him, it was a dream. Just like you dreamed of being a fireman, your father dreamed of having his own business."

"And I'm just an ugly reminder of those losses to him." Johnny wept. "It's not me he hates, it's the fact that I had my own dreams and plans and that they didn't include some stupid ranch!"

"Johnny, that's not fair." Roy told him. "Everyone has their own ideas of what success is. Your dad did his best to provide for you and Rhonda. Maybe he feels guilty that he didn't succeed with the ranch or his marriage."

"Your father was and is far from perfect." Angie said as she joined Roy and John. "He really did try with the ranch, but like everything else he did, that eventually failed too. More money was going out than coming in. I had to take a job in town just to keep you kids fed."

"I remember the day you told him that either he sold the ranch or you were leaving and we were going with you." Johnny sniffed. "I was so proud of you that day, Mama. You had the courage to stand up to a mean, selfish man. Your husband, my father."

"And, Johnny, you are more man than he ever was." Angie smiled with pride. "When I look at you now, I know that leaving him was the right thing to do. You have a rich, happy life with friends like Roy."

"When was the last time you saw your Dad, John?" Roy wondered.

"Two years ago, last tome I was here." Johnny wept.

"Would you mind if I went to see him?" Roy asked. "Alone?"

"Pally, John Gage, Sr. is a bitter, hateful man. You see him at your own risk." Johnny warned.

_____

Two days later, while Johnny was at the cemetery visiting his Sister's grave, Roy and Angie made their way to an isolated cabin two hours outside Laramie. Angie knocked on the rickety old door. After what seemed like forever the door was opened by a man close to seventy years old, John, Sr.

"Hello, Mr. Gage." Angie greeted.

"Angie!" The old man gasped. "It's been a long time. You're still beautiful as ever."

"I see time hasn't been as kind to you, old man." Angie answered. "John, this is Roy, a friend of Johnny."

"Sir," Roy greeted, politely.

"Johnny? I don't know any Johnny." The old man wheezed..

"John, stop it!" Angie hissed. "How much longer are you gonna keep this up?! Our Son has a life now! He's a fireman and Roy here is his partner! Your Son has been cited for bravery several times!"

"Sir, why do you act this way toward your own flesh and blood?" Roy asked, softly as John, Sr. stepped onto his porch. "I'd never treat my own kids this way."

"But that kid, as you call him, Roy, ruined my dreams!" John, Sr. countered, running a shaking hand through his gray hair."

"It's so easy, isn't it?!" Angie demanded. "It's so easy for John Gage to pin his failures on his namesake! You can't stand the fact that Johnny has a better life than you ever gave him! All you ever gave that boy was grief! Nothing he did was ever enough for you! Oh, how that boy tried, even almost killing himself in track to please you! Roy, Johnny worked himself into the hospital with exhaustion at the age of 15 because of his father! He pushed himself and pushed hard, too hard to get ready for one big track meet! He gave 110% and still, you ignored our Son!"

"John, go ahead, hate your Son if it makes you feel better." Roy took over. "Johnny knows that deep down, you love him. Would it hurt you to show him that love? He's the one that hurts over Rhonda the most. He'll have to live with that car wreck for the rest of his life. He'll wonder what he could've done to prevent what happened. I know that Rhonda was your daughter, but you have a living, breathing Son that's grieving too."

"She was my baby! My girl!" John Sr. wept. "Johnny killed her!"

"No, Sir, a drunk driver did that." Roy answered, softly. "Johnny and Rhonda just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That man will be in prison for a very long time, but should Johnny have to pay for a crime he didn't commit? C'mon, Angie, let's go."

Angie looked back at her ex-husband one last time as she followed Roy to their rented car for the trip back to her house.

***

A few days later, Johnny and Roy were back in LA, along with Angie. She'd flown back with the Paramedics to offer support to Johnny as he tried to get on with his life. She knew that the next weeks and months would be tough ones for her and her Son.

A few days after arriving home, Johnny was due back on duty at 51's, so Cap decided to have a meeting with the others before John and Roy arrived. He had them come in extra early on the
morning that Johnny was to return.

"Fellas, as you all know, Johnny lost his sister to a car wreck a couple weeks ago." Hank began. "Johnny's still going through a rough time, so I expect you all you be sensitive to his family's loss and to Johnny. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir." The assembled group responded.

"Kelly?" Hank asked of Chet.

"Yes, Sir, understood." Chet quietly replied.

"Chet, is something bothering you?" Engineer Mike Stoker asked, quietly.

"Cap, I feel bad, not only for Johnny, but for his family. It feels like we've lost Rhonda too." Chet revealed.

"I know what you mean." Cap somberly agreed. "When one of our own loses a family member, we feel their pain. We grieve with them."

"But, we never knew her!" Argued Marco Lopez.

"Yes we did, through Johnny's stories of her." Cap reminded all.

"I suggest that we lower the flags to half mast in her honor." Chet spoke up. "I'd also like for us to wear our ties and dress caps to show our respect when John and his mother arrive."

"Good idea, Kelly." Cap agreed. "I also think that we owe Gage a huge apology for the way we treated him we he was last here, especially me."

 

END PART 9