Copyright: July 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: No means no.

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: Set during the events in the Emergency episode "Nurse's Wild", Johnny tries to find out why Nurse Bart is not speaking to him.

Content Warning: Harsh language. Violence.

 

No means no.
by Robin R. Neher


Johnny Gage and Roy DeSoto were leaving Rampart General after getting supplies when Johnny spied Nurse Bart , walking down the hall.

"Make it fast." Roy sighed, then walked toward the double doors of the ER.

"Hi," Johnny grinned.

"Johnny, get out of my face!" Bart snapped. "I'm here to do my job!"

"Look, all I wanna do is talk!" Johnny pleaded.

"Johnny, leave me alone!" Ellen yelled. "I don't wanna go out with you, got it?!"

"Didn't we have fun last night?" Johnny persisted.

"Johnny, you had fun, I didn't!" Ellen yelled. "You took me to a damn strip club! I barfed when you asked for a lap dance! You're a selfish person! You didn't care at all about me!"

"Ellen!" Johnny whined.

"Johnny, just go away!" Ellen huffed. "Don't you get it?! I don't like you!"

Johnny was about to follow her when Roy grabbed him.

"Leave her alone, Gage!" Roy ordered, coming back inside.

____

"Let's go, Gage." Roy said, quietly.

Johnny glared at Roy, defiantly. He then tried following Ellen again. Roy grabbed his partner by the arm.

"Hey, she said no!" Roy told Johnny. "Didn't you hear her? She said no! Now, let's go!"

John glared at Ellen as Roy led him out to the squad. As Johnny got in the squad's passenger side, He looked at Roy, his eyes filled with hate.

"Thanks alot, DeSoto!" Johnny growled.

"Johnny-" Roy tried calming him.

"Some friend you are!" Johnny raged. "You just had to open your big mouth!"

"John, please, listen to me!" Roy pleaded. "You were crossing the line in there! Nurse Bart wants nothing to do with you! What you were doing in there was bordering on sexual harassment! Don't you remember your sensitivity training?"

Johnny calmed down as Roy's words sunk in.

"All I wanted was for her to talk to me!" Johnny yelled, slamming his fist into the squad's dash.

"I know, Junior, but you were going about it the wrong way. You don't get people to talk to you by getting in their faces when they're trying to do their job. You could've gotten Ellen in trouble with Dixie." Roy told him. "Remember, you're here to do a job and Rampart is not a dating service. You'd better make us available."

"LA, squad 51 available." Johnny reported.

Squad 51, respond with Engine 51. Structure fire at the K-Mart. 12th and Alameda 12th Alameda. Timeout:12:01.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny acknowledged, then hung up the CB's mic as Roy activated the squad's lights and sirens.

************

Four hours later, Roy and Johnny were back at Rampart for some much needed supplies.

"Now, Johnny, just stick to business." Roy reminded him as they entered Rampart's emergency room.

Upon going inside, Johnny again spotted Ellen, but this time, she was talking to a well-built orderly.

"Dinner tonight?" Johnny heard the burly man ask.

"Eight O'clock?" Ellen smiled, wrapping her arms around the big guy. "My place?"

"Perfect." The orderly smiled, then much to Johnny's dismay, the orderly kissed the nurse deeply.

Johnny just turned and left the ER, his dark head hung so nobody would see his tears. Roy, however, had too witnessed the scene between the nurse and the orderly and knew immediately how hurt his friend felt. After the orderly left, Roy approached the nurse's station.

"Nurse Bart?" Roy asked.

"Hi, Roy." The Honey Blonde smiled. "What can I get ya?"

"Dixie's got me sat up with supplies, but thanks anyway." Roy replied. "Ellen, My partner just witnessed that kiss."

The nurse turned pale.

"Oh, Did Johnny think-?" Ellen asked. "He didn't think that I-"

"Apparently, he did." Roy quietly replied.

"Roy, Johnny's just a boy!" Ellen laughed. "I only went out with him as a friend, nothing more!"

Roy pulled Ellen into the supply room in back of the nurse's station.

"Ellen, Johnny is not a boy! He is twenty-one years old, a man! John Gage is a proud man!" Roy hissed. "It makes me sick that you'd lead him on like that! He thinks that you love him!"

"Look, Roy, I can't help it if Johnny's dumb enough to believe that we're anything more than friends!" Ellen hissed back. "Johnny Gage thinks with his penis instead of his brain! He's a Redskin, for god's sake!"

"Oh, so you're prejudiced too!" Roy yelled.

"I am not prejudiced! It's just that Johnny is a skinny Redskin! That's why he gets rejected all the time! We girls dream of a man! A muscular, bulging man! Not a man/boy!" Ellen yelled.

"What's going on in here?!" Yelled head nurse Dixie McCall as she entered the room. "I heard you all the way down in Dr. Brackett's office! Now, what is going on here?! DeSoto?! Bart?!"

Both just shrugged.

"It's just a little difference of opinion, Dix, that's all." Roy said, then left the back room.

Ellen went to leave too, but Dixie stopped her.

"Now, Nurse Bart, did I just hear you call one of LA's finest Paramedics a Redskin?" Dix asked, glaring at Ellen.

"Dix, it just slipped out!" Ellen stammered.

"Huh uh, I don't buy that!" Dix said. "My office.. NOW!!!!"

Ellen obediently followed Dix out of the room. On the way out, Dix turned to Roy.

"Fireman DeSoto, I will be reporting your unprofessional conduct to both Captain Stanley and Chief McConnikee!" Dix told him. "You seem to have forgotten that this is a hospital! My nurses are mine to deal with and I don't appreciate a lowly fireman yelling at a nurse!"

With that, Dix stormed away with Ellen in tow.

"Lowly Fireman!" Roy muttered to himself as he walked out to the squad.

"LA, Squad 51, Available." Johnny reported as Roy guided the squad away from Rampart.

Squad 51. Dispatch came back.
________

Upon arriving back at the station, Cap called Roy into his office.

"Wanna tell me what the hell happened at Rampart?!" Hank demanded. "Dixie McCall wants your head on a platter!"

"Cap, Ellen Bart was making fun of Johnny." Roy told Hank. "I'll admit things got a little out of hand-"

"Out of hand?!" Hank yelled. "Roy, what you did was damned unprofessional! There were patients in that hallway as well as doctors and other nurses! I had to beg McCall to to report you to McConnikee! You just put my ass as well as yours in her sling!"

"Cap, I'm sorry!" Roy stammered.

"Roy, what got into you at that hospital?!" Cap demanded.

Before Roy could answer, the tones sounded.

Squad 51, unknown type rescue. 11 Marshall Place. 11 Marshall place. Timeout: 18:02.

"Squad 51, 10-4-KMG-365!" Cap growled into the mic. "Roy, this isn't over!"

"Cap, You weren't there, so shut up!" Roy growled as he drove the squad out of the apparatus bay.

"Tell me to shut up!" Hank mumbled to himself.

"Cap, DeSoto is right, you weren't there." Chet said.

Cap just threw Chet a dirty look, then went into his office. Mike Stoker entered shortly after.

"Cap, don't take it personally." Mike soothed. "You weren't at Rampart and you've only heard Dixie's side of things."

"For him to tell me to shut up!" Hank yelled. "Of all the nerve!"

"I do agree that was uncalled for." Mike replied. "I'll talk to him when they get back."

"Thanks, Mike." Cap smiled at his Engineer.

______

Meanwhile, at Rampart, Dix was being forced to rethink her telling Stanley on Roy.

"You were wrong, Dix!" Kel insisted. "Roy was defending Johnny!"

"He still had no right to yell at her!" Dix argued. "DeSoto should've come to me!"

"Dix, you were wrong!" Kel told her. "Is Roy just supposed stand there and let nurses belittle his partner?!"

"It seems to me that Roy picked that fight!" Dix sneered. "He walked up to that nurse's station and started yelling at her! You know, Doctor, I've had it! I've had it with boundaries always being crossed, with low tolerance Paramedics, with even lower threshold doctors! You can find yourself another head nurse! I quit!"

"Dix, don't go!" Brackett pleaded.

"Doctor, you want a war, you've got one!" Dix said, then stormed out of the ER.

 

END PART 4