title: Emergency-Madness

Author: Reets

Fandom: Emergency

Pairing: Johnny/Capt. Stanley

Rated: Well, Slash, but only pg-13 this round.

Status: Complete-for now.

Archive: Yes, but let me know the url please.

Disclaimer: The characters of this story don’t belong to me, just borrowing them. No infringement is intended by their use and they will be returned unharmed when I’m done with them. Any original characters that pop up belong to me.

 

Madness

By Reets

It had been four weeks since Heather Stanley died in a house fire, her husband unable to rescue her. Four weeks had passed since the Captain had taken his leave of absence and four weeks since anyone had seen him. The team of station 51 had called, left messages and even dropped by his apartment. But the captain was wrapped in his own web of sorrow and refused the company, comfort and kind words. Today he had planned to try to get his life back in order. Planned to return, at least part time to work, but when he woke up he changed his mind. He awoke with a harsh nightmare of reliving his wife screaming as the house became engulfed in flames. He watched in horror through the flames as she fell down the steps. As the smoke overtook him, gentle hands pulled him free. Stanley wondered each day why he had regained consciousness and that his wife, had not. He pushed back the sweat soaked sheets and pulled his long legs over the side. The new apartment was small and had little furnishings or personal items. Most everything he owned burned in the fire. Besides, he thought, why keep those things that just reminded him of his loss. He groaned and pulled himself up just as someone knocked hard on the front door. "Go away." The knock came again and this time he ignored it.

"Come on Cap. I know you’re in there." Johnny Gage banged on thedoor again. "Please."

"Come on Johnny, he doesn’t want company." His partner Roy DeSoto tugged on the younger man’s arm.

"Roy it’s been a month, he’s got to come out sometime. It’s not healthy for him to keep it all bottled up inside."

"Yeah, but evidently it’s his way, so let him be." Roy tugged again and Johnny followed him a few steps down the hall. At first he had balked at the idea of visiting their former superior, but when Johnny said he’d go anyway, he decided that it would be a better idea to accompany him and pull him away if necessary.

"But Roy."

"Johnny stop. I know you mean well, but he’s hurting."

"Roy, he lost his wife, it’s a horrible tragedy. But he’s alive and hecan’t stop living just because she’s gone."

"True, but he has to come to that knowledge by himself John, sometimes your interfering hurts people more." He knew he was hurting Johnny’s feelings, but it was necessary. Ever since the fire Johnny had been obsessed about, Captain Stanley and Roy could not figure out why. They were all close, to a point. But Johnny’s obsession went beyond a normal ‘comfort’ zone for Roy. He began to wonder if his partner wasn’t just a little attracted to the captain. "I’m sorry, you mean well, but…" Roy stammered for the words. "Just come on, we’re going to be late."

Gage looked back toward the Captain’s door one last time, the frown very prevalent on his face. He nodded and followed Roy back to his car.

The ride to work was quiet, neither man revealing what they’re feeling. Once they arrived at the station and got ready for work Johnny cornered Roy in the locker room. "Do you think he’ll come back?"

"What?"

"The cap. Do you think he’ll come back?"

"I don’t know." Johnny’s face fell, this wasn’t the news he wanted tohear. "Listen, I’m sorry for what I said earlier." An easy smile thistime. Roy only told him the truth although it hurt sometimes.

"Thanks, I’ll see ya in the kitchen."

**

Stanley ate in silence, the day wasn’t going well. His sister in-law had already been there and made him open the door. She wanted to check and see if he was okay and that everything was getting back to normal. The state of the apartment didn’t make her very happy, so she vowed to come back and help him out. When the knock at the door came at dusk, he was expecting her and a crew of her crone friends to come in and redecorate for him. By this time he’d worked up enough anger to shove her over the balcony railing, so when he pulled the door open he was very surprised to find John Gage standing there with a bag of groceries.

As the door flew open Gage dropped the bag he was holding and took a step back. He reached down to get the bag and bumped heads with Stanley. "Ouch."

"Yeah." Both men stood in silence for a few seconds before either made another move.

"Can I come in?"

Stanley sighed heavily and stepped aside. He watched the younger man fuss over the groceries and make it into the living room without hurting himself. It was a known fact that trouble followed Johnny Gage. Bless his heart it wasn’t his fault, but it did. Many times he’d saved Johnny’s butt or helped him out after what could have been a serious accident. Tonight he wasn’t sure he’d welcome the mindless babble that sometimes filtered through the lovely mouth. Lovely mouth? Where did that come from? He scratched his head and followed Johnny into the small kitchen. "Look Johnny, I don’t think…"

"Dinner?"

"What?"

"Can I cook you dinner?" Johnny pulled several things out of the brown bag. "I have steaks, potatoes, carrots…"

"I don’t think so."

"Come on Cap. You have to eat."

"I need to be left alone, but no one seems to understand that."

"We do, it’s just…it’s been a month already. I know you’re hurting but…"

"What do you know about it." The words were harsher than he wanted and he took a step toward Johnny. "Have you ever had someone die on you like that?"

Johnny took a step back. "Well, no, but..."

"Then don’t pretend to know what I’m feeling."

"I’m not, but I know you can’t just shut yourself off from the world. You’re alive and still relatively young, you might even get married again someday."

"So that’s it, I get back to work, find a new wife and forget this. Is that your great solution to my problem Gage?"

Johnny staggered a bit at the anger in his friend’s voice. He fought the urge to run from the room and nurse his wounded ego. He stood firm and cleared his throat. "Well, no not exactly, but you need to get back to work. Chet has been driving me crazy, you know how he picks on me for no reason." Stanley smiled as Johnny rambled. It felt better than he had imagined, to hear it. Johnny stopped and stared at him. "Hey, you’re smiling."

"Yeah, so."

"So, is dinner on?"

"Okay, just don’t hurt yourself. Wouldn’t want to have to call the paramedics." Johnny almost laughed but caught himself at the teasing insult. "I’m in the shower."

"Okay." He searched the cabinets, shelves and cupboards and found only a few cooking utensils. Then an evil thought hit him. He picked up the phone and dialed.

**

The spray of warm water cascaded down his firm chest and he moaned. Maybe Johnny Gage was right, maybe he’d let himself go for far too long. A little quiet company with one of his favorite paramedics couldn’t hurt right. As the water began to cool he got out and toweled off. It was a hard search to find clean clothes, but he did. After checking the clock, he wondered why Johnny hadn’t complained that he had taken almost an hour to emerge from the bathroom. When he opened the door, the sight that greeted him was almost overwhelming. In the time he had been in the bath, Johnny had transformed his living area. Two new chairs and a smalltable were nestled in the corner of the living room, making a dining spot of sorts. As he wondered how the young man had gotten everything done on time, Johnny came up to him and took his arm. "Everyone came by, dropped something off. They wanted to know if you’re okay."

A single tear escaped the older man’s eye. "I think I will be Johnny." He cautiously put his arm on the younger man’s shoulder and pulled him close. "Thanks."

"You’re welcome. Can they come in?"

"They?"

"Yeah, the gang, they’re outside. They agreed to leave if you don’t want more company, but they’d really like to see you Cap and let you know how sorry they are for what happened. They care about you. I care about you."

"Sure Johnny," He smiled and reached out an unsure hand. When the younger man didn’t pull back he caressed his cheek. "You can let them in on one condition."

"Sure," He smiled as a warm thumb ran across his lip. "Anything."

"You stay after and help me clean the mess up."

"You got it Cap."

**

Three hours later Roy and Joann DeSoto said their good-byes to the Capt. Roy pulled Johnny to the side. "I can’t believe he let you do this."

"What can I say, I have a way with words."

"You sure you don’t need any help with the cleaning up?"

"Nah, I’ll do it. Thanks for coming." He hugged his best friend, grateful that he got a hug back. "You need to get Joann home with the kids. You guys were great for coming."

"I second that." Stanley reached out his hand and Roy shook it. "Thanks Roy."

"Well the thanks fall to this man, he got his foot in the door." Stanley nodded and put his arm around Johnny’s shoulders. Roy shook his head and tried to clear the image of them together. In his mind they turned and kissed and seemed oh so perfect together standing there in an innocent embrace.

"True, but if he keeps pulling these pranks, I'll have to take him across my knee." Johnny scoffed at the idea and went to hug Joann. "He’s such a brat sometimes."

"Yeah, but today he did a good thing." Stanley didn’t seem to be listening; he was staring at Johnny with Joann. "Well, I’m glad you’re feeling a little better. I know how hard it’s been on you."

"Yeah, well thanks Roy, nite." Stanley headed toward Roy’s wife as she laughed and touched Johnny’s face. "Thanks for coming Joann."

"Take care of yourself." She hugged him briefly and headed for the door.

"Johnny can I see you for a moment?" As Johnny joined him in the hallway, Roy asked Joann to go down to the car and wait. "Johnny have you seen the way the Cap’s been staring at you?"

"Staring? What do you mean?"

"I mean, he’s been watching you ever since I got here."

"So, what difference does that make?"

"Just be careful."

"Of what?"

"I don’t know. He’s suffered a terrible loss; it wouldn’t be unheard of for him to form an unnatural attachment to someone close. Especially someone who’s persistent and annoying and in his face."

"Are you saying I’m annoying?"

"Just watch yourself."

Johnny shook his head and headed back inside. He pondered Roy’s words for a bit, but forgot everything when Stanley smiled at him. "So I wash and you dry?"

"Sounds like a plan, but first," Stanley stepped close and took Johnny’s hand. "I wanted to say thank you for everything you’ve done tonight. I didn’t realize how much of a push I needed." He pulled the younger man close and ran his hands down the strong back.

Johnny froze as the captain’s hands caressed him. It wasn’t his intention to come on to his superior officer, nor to have his superior officer come on to him. But when he pulled back from the embrace, his lips were just inches from the older man’s and then the captain’s lips brushed against his lightly. He jumped and stepped back. "I’m sorry."

"No, I’m sorry. I should be ashamed of myself. You should probably go, it’s not a good time to be around me."

Johnny smiled that crooked smile. "So that’s what this is about. You want me to get out of here and leave you alone. Well it won’t work." John picked up several plates and headed into the kitchen. Stanley came up behind him and sat down two glasses, one on each side. He was trapped against the counter. "It won’t work, if you want to play, you have to pay. And dishes are on the agenda today. Wow, that rhymed."

"Yes it did." Stanley laughed and pulled away. He gathered the rest of the party stuff, then he and Johnny finished the dishes and the cleaning of the small apartment.

Johnny sat down and took a long cleansing breath. He had accomplished something that he had wanted to do for ages. Now he felt better. He closed his eyes and smiled. The relaxation was almost complete but then something cold touched his cheek and he jumped.

Stanley let the beer slide down Johnny’s cheek, to his neck then down to his chest before he released it. "You’re a good friend Johnny, thanks."

"Not a problem Cap. I’m glad you finally let me in the door."

"Well, I didn’t actually." Johnny sat up and tilted his head. Stanley went on to explain about his sister-in law. "I’m very glad it was you instead of her."

"Me too. She sounds pushy." They both laughed and Stanley sat down beside Johnny. "But I guess she means well." He looked up as Stanley’s arm came around his shoulders and pulled him close. He leaned his head back and for what seemed a lifetime the pair staired into each other eyes. Finally Stanley leaned in and kissed him. His entire body tensed, but he opened his mouth to assault.

Stanley pulled him up and settled the younger man on his lap. He kissed him repeatedly and caressed his body. The phone rang, but it was ignored. When the answering machine picked up Stanley broke the kiss and worked his way down the long neck, nipping at the Adam’s apple causing the younger man to moan. "Johnny, if you’re still there, I need to talk to you." Reluctantly Stanley pushed Johnny to the side and picked up the phone.

"Hello. Yeah, Roy he’s right here." He handed Johnny the phone and headed into the kitchen.

"Yeah Roy?"

"Is everything okay? I just got the strangest feeling when I was there. You’re not going to do anything stupid are you?"

"Stupid, me? Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Has he touched you?"

"What are you talking about? If I want him to he will, so leave it alone Roy."

"Come on Johnny, you’re not…" Johnny hung the phone up and Roy swore to himself. He turned to his wife. "I tell you Joann, something’s not right here."

"Don’t you think you’re making a little too much of it. I mean if that’s what Johnny wants, then why not leave him alone."

"You don’t get it do you? Stanley’s in a bad way right now, I just don’t want Johnny to think it’s more than it is."

"What are you going to do?"

"Head over there I think."

"Roy, don’t you think that’s a bit much."

Roy slid his pants on and headed toward the door. He grabbed his coat and headed out the door, praying the entire time he wouldn’t be too late.

**

Stanley was putting away the dishes as Johnny crept up behind him. "Is everything okay?" The older man asked as Johnny’s arms snaked around his waist.

"Yeah, just Roy being Roy." Johnny hopped up to the counter and took the glasses, placing each where they went in the cabinet.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing of any importance."

"Come on Johnny," Stanley pushed his knees apart and stepped between them. "He was warning you off me and he’s right." Johnny tried to get down but Stanley held his thighs. "Hear me out. I loved my wife dearly, but before we were married, I had several lovers of the same sex. Once I married I was faithful and never touched another person again. I’ve been in a lot of pain Johnny and I won’t lie to you. It would be very easy to take you to bed and make love to you all night. But I don’t think that’s a good idea." Again Johnny pushed against him, but he held him still. "Listen to me. I’ve been so torn up about this for lots of reasons, but the main one was the guilt."

"You have nothing to feel guilty over."

"Yes I do. I found myself wanting to be at the station more and more. Wanting to spend more time away from her. I feel guilty because I was going to leave her and she knew it. She died because of me Johnny. She set the fire on purpose."

"No way."

"Yes, she was so upset that I would want to leave that she killed herself. I’m having a really hard time dealing with that."

"Cap, I don’t know what to say…"

"You can call me Hank you know."

"Hank," Johnny beamed and Stanley leaned in and captured those lovely lips in a passionate kiss. When they parted, Johnny blushed. "Wow."

"Wow indeed."

"Take me to bed Hank, let me help you forget, even if just for a little while."

"You’re sure about that Johnny."

"Are you? I mean is this a one time thing?"

"No Johnny, I want you all to myself. Could you handle that? With all your women I mean?"

"Oh I think I can handle it, but can you. I get horny a lot."

Stanley laughed and pulled Johnny’s hips forward until their groins touched. "I can take care of that problem Johnny. You’ll never be horny again." Their lips met and Stanley kneaded the soft mounds of flesh beneath his hands. He lifted Johnny from the counter and walked them into the bedroom just as someone knocked on the door. Johnny’s legs slipped down. "Better get that."

"Wait, Cap." Johnny grabbed his arm. "I think we should hold that thought one second. If we go to the door like this, everyone will know what’s going on."

Stanley looked down at his crotch and rubbed his very prominent erection through his jeans. "You’re right. Think about baseball."

"Baseball?" Stanley nodded and headed toward the door. When he got there his erection had subsided somewhat and he glanced back at Johnny. The confused look on the man’s face was priceless. "Ready?"

"What? Oh yeah."

Stanley pulled the door open and Roy rushed inside. "Evening Roy, what’s up?"

"Oh, hi Sir. I think Joann left her purse, can I look around for it?"

"Sure, go ahead."

Johnny scratched his head and looked up at Stanley. "Baseball?"

"It worked, didn’t it."

"Worked? Oh right, yeah." Johnny laughed his goofy laugh for a moment and smiled at Roy. "Hey, what’s up?"

"Joann forgot her purse."

"No, no, she had it. We’re cleaned up already, didn’t find it."

"Oh, well," Roy stood nervously for a moment. "Hey, since I’m here, why don’t I give you a ride home?"

"I’ve got the truck."

"Oh, right." Roy thought for a moment. "How about I walk you down then, looks like you’ve gotten everything cleaned up, ready to go?"

"Well, actually no…"

Stanley patted Johnny on the back, interrupting his sentence. "Thanks for everything Johnny. I think we should call it a night, why not let Roy walk you down."

"What? Why?"

Stanley pulled him aside. "Listen, Roy isn’t happy with this, just go for now. I’ll call you in the morning."

Johnny thought for a long minute. "Promise?"

"Promise." Johnny leaned up for a kiss, but Stanley stepped back. "Nite John."

"This sucks." Stanley shrugged and held the door open for the pair. Roy went through first and Johnny grabbed the door and slammed it. He pushed Stanley against the door and kissed him hard on the mouth. "Nite."

"Johnny!" Stanley swatted his behind as he reached for the door. "I’ll call you in the morning. Nite." He shut the door after the younger man and sighed. Roy was evidently going to be a problem.

Roy grabbed Johnny by the arm and practically dragged him from the building. "What was going on in there Johnny?"

"What are you talking about."

"Look even if I approved of this, you’d be nuts to sleep with your boss. Just nuts."

"It’s not your business Roy."

"You make it my business Johnny. I care about you, don’t you see that?"

"Right now all I see is your nose sticking in my business." Johnny was headed for his truck, almost at a dead run. Roy stopped him from using the key.

"He’s hurting and vulnerable Johnny. He’s not making sense, he’ll take advantage of you."

"He wouldn’t."

"Did he touch you tonight?"

"No Roy, I touched him. Get it, I touched him. I kissed him too and I would have made love to him if someone we know hadn’t interrupted."

"See," Roy fought to keep his voice down, but the anger in his heart and mind burst forth. "He’s not sincere Johnny, he just wants someone to be close to. I don’t want to see you get hurt."

"How do you know he’ll hurt me?" Johnny wiped a tear away. "How can you say that? Is that what you think of me, just someone to lay then leave? Am I not worth anything more than that?"

"Of course you are, don’t say things like that." Johnny lowered his head and sniffed. "Don’t, come here." He wrapped his arms around the slighter man and held tight. "I love you, I just don’t want to see you get hurt."

"What about happy?" Johnny pulled back. "Don’t you want to see me happy, or would that be too much for you?"

"No Johnny, I want you to be happy. I’m just afraid you’ll get hurt."

"That’s my problem, isn’t it."

Roy nodded and stepped away. "Is it because of what happened between us?"

"What?"

"Is that why you want to be with him?"

"This has nothing to do with that. I’ve felt this way for a while, I just never would have acted on it. I don’t have a great track record with married men." Roy smiled a bit. He had wanted to make love to Johnny, but several things had stopped them. The least of which was his wife. "Let me go back to him, he needs me Roy."

"I need you too." Roy caressed his cheek and pulled him close. "Let’s go somewhere."

"No," Johnny pushed back. "I can’t Roy, I couldn’t then and I still can’t."

"I need you Johnny."

"Not fair." Roy reached out and rubbed Johnny’s chest. "It would ruin our friendship, you know that."

"Do you…feel something for Stanley?"

"Of course I do, I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t."

Roy fidgeted with his keys for a moment. "You know I’ll be thinking of you while you’re with him."

Johnny met his eyes. "That’s not fair Roy. I like him, I want to be here with him."

"Sorry, but you know how I feel."

"Jealous, angry, hurt?"

"Something like that."

Johnny nodded. "Now you know how I felt when you went back to Joann." Johnny walked away and headed up the stairs back to Stanley’s place.

 

~finis for now~