Copyright: June 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Locked out

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: NC-17

Pairing: Roy/Joanne

Fandom: Emergency!

Archive: Yes

Summary: Set after the events in "Family ties" Roy arrives home to a chilly reception from Joanne.

Content Warning: Harsh language. Violence. Graphic M/F Sex.

 

Locked out
by Robin R. Neher

A whistling Roy DeSoto pulled into his driveway, thrilled that Joanne's mother was not coming after all. Going up to the front door of his home, Roy turned the knob but the door wouldn't open. Roy tried his key but no avail.

"Joanne! Honey, let me in!" Roy called, pounding on the door.

Roy waited while Joanne opened a window and tossed her husband's things on to the ground below. Roy gaped as he watched his stuff being thrown out.

"Roy, the locks have been changed!" Joanne called through the window, her anger with Roy clear in her voice. "You don't live here no more!"

Roy reeled at those words. Then he realized why Jo was angry.

"Honey, I'm sorry about the way I sounded at the station!" Roy pleaded. "Please, Baby, let me in so we can talk this over!"

"There's nothing to talk about!" Joanne yelled. "You made it perfectly clear how you feel about my mother! Now you can join Johnny in his single life!"

With that, Joanne retreated back inside the house and slammed the window shut. Roy just picked up his things, got into his truck and headed toward a motel

________

After getting settled in his room, Roy called his fellow married man, Cap Stanley, who after hearing what happened with Jo, immediately invited Roy to stay with him. Upon arriving at Hank's twenty minutes later, Roy found that Hank was in the same fix he was.

"Mother-in-laws!" Roy griped. "Wives!"

"Hey, Roy, you can't blame Jo for being angry." Cap said, handing the other man a beer, then joining him on the sofa. You did put down her mother."

"Cap, I hate the woman!" Roy yelled. "She's riding me each and everyday she visits!"

"Stop and think a minute." Cap advised. "Did it ever occur to you that you may not have been the dream guy Jo's mother wished her daughter to marry? Most mothers want their daughters to marry doctors, lawyers and such cause that's what they equate with success."

"And the rest of us are losers in their eyes!" Roy finished, taking a sip of his brew.

"Roy, my wife's mother feels the same about me." Hank told him. "Barbara got upset because I wouldn't go with her and the kids to her mother's."

"That's rough." Roy sympathized. "The question is, how do we keep the peace with the in-laws, yet not hurt our wive's feelings?"

______________

Joanne, meanwhile, was packing her own things to go and stay with her mother. As she was packing, a knock was heard from downstairs. Joanne grabbed a ball bat and carried it downstairs
with her.

"Roy DeSoto, if that's you behind the door, you take one step further and I'll bust your skull!" Joanne warned, raising the bat above her head.

"Does that go for me too?" Johnny Gage grinned, entering the house.

"I'm sorry, John." Jo sighed, putting the bat down.

"I take it you and Roy had a fight." John guessed. "And I'll bet you kicked him to the curb."

"Johnny, he put down my Mom!" Joanne cried.

"He told me he doesn't care for his mother in law." Johnny nodded. "Roy is your husband, he should be first in your life, not your mother! This is his home too and he should have been asked before you invited your Mother over. Jo, do you like seeing Roy and your Mom fight?"

"No, but I don't wanna exclude her from mine and the kid's lives either!" Joanne wept. "Mom was there before that lazy bum I called my husband came along!"

"Jo, stop right there!" John yelled. "I will not let you put Roy down that way! He works very hard to provide for you and those kids! I don't see you bringing in a paycheck!"

Johnny watched as Joanne sank to her sofa.

"Johnny, it's just that I get so frustrated sometimes!" Jo cried. "It's not fair!"

"What? That you're stuck at home with two kids while Roy goes out and earns a living?" Johnny probed, sitting down next to the dark-haired woman. "Jo, Roy just doesn't hang around the station at work, we're constantly running from one call to the next. When we're not doing that, there's paperwork and chores to be done or a Chief's inspection happening."

"I know, it's just that I feel like Roy just doesn't care about us!" Joanne wept. "Just two days ago, Chris asked Roy if they could go fishing! Roy told Chris to go by himself and leave him alone! A seven year old! Johnny, you should've seen Chris! He cried his little heart out!"

"Jo, maybe Roy just wanted some time to himself." Johnny soothed. "He was probably tired and just wanted to rest. Our job is draining both physically and emotionally. When he comes home, Roy doesn't want a bunch of problems thrown in his lap. He wants to be able to come home and relax. Jo, if you want out, I'll gladly help, but Roy is sitting somewhere waiting for you to call and talk about all this, calmly, without threats or yelling."

"Johnny, tell that to Roy. I'm ready. My things are upstairs." Joanne softly answered.

"If you're sure." Johnny sighed.

"I am." Joanne was adamant. "I won't have my boy or girl let down by their father again."

 


END PART 2