COPYRIGHT October 1999, BY: K-rock

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Just A Little Bump

Author: K-rock

E-mail: JG-4-me@webtv.net

Rated: Prob R for now

Pairing: Roy/Johnny implied

Archive: Yeah

Content Warning: Implied relationship between two men; medical procedures Author's Notes, Reserve and Restriction: This is just a crazy story and I know its probably not even a medical possibility, but you never know!

Just A Little Bump

By K-rock

Roy and Johnny have been together as partners about 2 years. Roy has been divorced about a year, and he and Johnny have been together about 6 months. Roys kids live with Joanne, and Chris is 9, and Jenny is 5. Roy and Joanne are still good friends, but she just couldn't handle being married to a fireman, and she is happy for both Roy and Johnny.

On this particular day, the station is called out to a three-alarm fire at a dynamite warehouse. It is Sunday, and no one is there, so Roy and Johnny are assigned to help with the fire. As they get to the middle of the building, there is a huge explosion, and Johnny is banged around a lot before landing on some boxes. Roy is immediately at his side, and Johnny says he is OK, just dazed. Roy gets him outside and checks him over, but can only find a little pea-sized bump on the back of his head. Everything else checks out fine, and Johnny says he doesn't need to go to the hospital. Even though Roy and Cap want him to, they agree that he doesn't have to go since he seems to be OK. They are released to head on back to the station.

As Roy is driving back to the station, he realizes Johnny is very quiet. "Hey, Babe! Are you OK?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. My head just is sore and kinda hurts, but no, I don't need to go to the hospital."

Roy drives on in silence. About half way back, Johnny suddenly cries out in pain, grabs his head, and loses consciousness, slumping down in the seat. Roy hits the sirens, grabs the mic, and tells dispatch they are heading to Rampart on a Code I. Cap hears him, and calls him on the HT.

"Engine 51 to Squad 51. What happened?"

"Cap, Johnny suddenly cried out in pain, grabbed his head, and lapsed into unconsciousness. My ETA is 2 minutes."

"10-4 Squad 51. Rampart is being notified that you are on your way in."

Roy gets to Rampart, backs in, races around to Johnnys door. Opening it, he picks up Johnny in his arms, and races inside. Dixie is on her way to meet him, and sends them to Treatment Room #7.

As Roy enters the room, and lays Johnny down on the exam table, Johnny begins to stir, and opens his eyes as Dixie comes in. Roy sees that he is awake, but looks very confused and very scared. so he leans over close to him. "Its OK. I'm right here!"

Johnny looks up at him, darting his eyes over to Dixie. "Daddy, I hurt. Head hurts, Daddy."

Both Roy and Dixie look at each other in amazement and shock. Dixie goes to the phone and has Dr. Brackett paged to TR 7, STAT! Roy starts asking Johnny questions.

"Johnny, do you know where you are?"

Johnny just shakes his head, scooting a little closer to Roy. He glares a little at Dixie.

"Johnny, do you know what happened."

"No. My head hurt."

Dixie comes over, and places her hand on Johnnys arm. "Johnny, can you tell me how old you are?"

Johnny nods his head, "I 5!"

Dixie raises her eyebrows in shock. Roy just shakes his head. Dixie smiles, and brushes the hair out of his eyes. "You are 5 years old?"

"Uh hu."

"Johnny, can you tell me if you hurt anywhere else?"

"My head hurt."

"Is that the only place?"

"Uh hu."

Dixie and Roy go over by the door to talk, and Dr. Brackett walks in. Dixie tells him whats going on. v "Kel, Johnny was knocked around pretty good at an exposion. He was fine at first, but then collapsed on the way back to the station. Just before he did, Roy said he grabbed his head, and screamed out in pain, and lost consciousness. He came to as Roy brought him in here, and now he says he is 5 years old. AND, he thinks Roy is his daddy."

Kel looks at both of them, and just shakes his head. "Oh boy. Sounds like he got knocked around enough, that his brain was bruised. He has regressed 20 years, and he associates you as his dad, because deep down he knows he loves you. If he says he's 5, then he's gonna act like a 5 year old. Roy, when I examine him, you are gonna have to stay close by to comfort him, because I have seen this happen before, and I guarantee you, he is gonna be crying before long."

"But, Doc, how long will this last?"

"Roy, I don't know. We will know more after we run tests, but maybe only a few days. We will talk later."

Roy, Dix, and Kel walk over to Johnny, and Roy walks around to the other side and holds onto Johnnys hand. Johnny looks scared when he sees Kel.

"Johnny, this is Dr. Brackett, and he is gonna help you feel better." Dixie smiles, as she brushes Johnnys hair out of his eyes.

"Hi, Johnny. What happened to your head?"

"It hurts. I fall down."

"Okay, I am just gonna take a look at your eyes and your ears."

Dr. Brackett looks into his ears, and Johnny is quiet. Then, when he looks into his eyes, Johnny starts whimpering, and tries to get his head away. Roy holds his head still.

"Daddy, hurt! Daddy, hurt!"

Dr. Brackett looks at Roy, and then talks to Johnny. "Johnny, do your eyes hurt?"

"Hurt my head."

"OK, we're gonna find out whats wrong and help your head to stop hurting. Dix, lets do a brain scan, a CAT scan, an EEG, CBC, urinalisys, and lets get a catheter in him. I don't want to take any chances on any accidents in the bed. Also, get his temp and BP"

Dixie laughs, "Kel, Johnny as a 25 year old was bad enough when it came to inserting a catheter. Johnny as a 5 year old is not gonna be easy!"

"I know, but I'm not sure he is 5. I am thinking more like 3."

Roy nods his head, "I agree. Jenny is 5, and I can remember she talked like that at 3, and she loved to tell people she was 5 or 6."

"Dix, let me know when the tests are done. Roy, stay with him!" Kel goes out, and Dix orders the tests. Roy helps her get Johnnys clothes off. Dix gets the thermometer, and sticks it in Johnnys mouth. He spits it out. She sticks it back in.

"Johnny, you need to leave this in your mouth under your tongue."

Johnny spits it back out. Roy takes it, and tries to stick it under his arm, but Johnny won't let him. Dix and Roy look at each other.

"I hate to take it rectally, but I'm gonna have to. I'm afraid if we force him to hold it in his mouth, he will bite it or something."

Roy just nods his agreement, and rolls Johnny over on his side. Boy, does he have a fit when Dix sticks that thermometer in! Roy talks softly to Johnny, but he is not happy! After she takes his temp, Dixie looks at Roy.

"You are gonna have to hold him down while I put this in."

Dixie inserts the catheter and the whole ER could probably hear Johnny crying and yelling, 'NO, NO! DADDY HURT!" Roy does his best not to laugh, so that Dixie won't laugh.

After that little procedure, Dixie gets the hospital gown on him, and then they start the tests. On most of them, Johnny is okay, but Dix saved the CBC for last, knowing it was gonna be tough to get the blood. She has Roy sit next to Johnny on the bed and try to distract him, but Johnny can feel the band being tied on his arm, and watches Dixie swab down his arm.

"Roy, you better hide his eyes and hold on to him, cause he is gonna freak when he sees this needle."

"Johnny look over here at this pretty picture." Roy manages to divert Johnnys attention, and he is OK until Dixie sticks that needle in, and fortunately, Roy has a strong hold, cause Johnny screams, and tries to get his arm away, but can't, and that makes him madder.

"Okay, Johnny, its all over now!" Dixie kisses his forehead, and leaves the room. Johnny is holding on to Roy for dear life.

"Daddy, go home! Head hurts."

"I know it does, Johnny, but they are gonna help you feel better."

In a few minutes, Dr. Brackett walks in with Dr. Early and Dixie. Johnny frowns at them and moves closer to Roy. Dr. Brackett explains to Roy what they are gonna do.

"Roy, he doesn't have a skull fracture or even a mid-line shift. There is some swelling in the brain and it is bruised, but thats all the injury I can find. His eyes are very sensitive, but Joe needs to examine his eyes, to see if he can spot any problems I missed. You are gonna have to hold his head still!" They all kinda laugh. Roy and Dixie lay Johnny back, the whole time Dixie telling Johnny to just relax and he will be okay. And he is. Until Dr. Early comes toward his eyes with that penlight!

PART TWO

Previously.....
Roy and Dixie lay Johnny back, the whole time Dixie telling Johnny to just relax and he will be okay. And he is. Until Dr. Early comes toward his eyes with that penlight!
**********************

Dixie has a firm grip on Johnnys left arm, while talking quietly to him, telling him to just relax. Roy is holding Johnnys hand on the right side, and rubbing his shoulder. Dr. Brackett is holding down Johnny's legs, because Johnny is squirming and kicking and trying to get away from these people who are hurting his eyes and his head. Dr. Early examines his eyes, holding Johnnys head firmly with one hand to keep his head still. He checks both eyes, and also checks his ears. When he finishes, he speaks to Johnny.

"Johnny, I'm Dr. Early. Can you tell me if your eyes hurt?"

"Yes."

"Do they sting or do they hurt like your head?"

"Hurt" Johnny squints his eyes against the overhead light. Dixie reaches up and turns the light on low.

"Johnny, can you see OK out of your eyes?"

"Yes. Hurt."

"Your head hurts and your eyes hurt? Does your tummy hurt?"

"No. I sleep. Hurt." Closes his eyes, and then all of a sudden opens them, with a fearful look on his face, which Dixie immediately recongizes.

"Get back and grab the bedpan or something. He's fixing to throw up!"

Roy quickly grabs the trashcan, and gets it in front of Johnny just in time for him to throw up in it. When he finishes, he is crying and Dixie cleans him up.

Dr. Brackett talks to Dixie and then to Roy. "Dix, start an IV with Ringers, and give him some Thioridazine to help him relax. Roy, you need to go fill in Capt. Stanley and the guys. I know they are out there waiting for word. Let admit him so we can run some more tests, and find out where the pain is. Also, see if he can keep something light on his stomach. If not, and if he continues vomiting, give him something to calm his stomach."

Dr. Brackett and Dr. Early leave the room. Dixie looks at Roy. Johnny is laying on the table with his eyes closed.

"Roy, you want to help me with this IV?"

Roy laughs, "Yeah, I better stick close till he can relax and hopefully go to sleep."

Dixie gets the IV supplies ready, and she thinks Johnny is asleep----until she picks up his arm and starts to swab it. Johnnys eyes pop open, and he looks at Dixie, then looks at his arm. At first he doesn't say or do anything, and Roy has his hand on his shoulder. Then, he sees the needle! He tries to scoot closer to Roy, but Roy just holds him down, and he starts to cry again.

'NO! NO! DAD------DDDDDYYY!!!!!"

Roy holds on to him, and Dixie finally gets a vein, and inserts the needle.

"NO!!! HURT DADDY!!! HURT!!!!"

Roy just kisses him on the forehead, and tries to calm him down. "Its OK Johnny. Its all over now. You are gonna feel so much better. Go to sleep, okay. I bet when you wake up, you will feel much better." Roy stays by him till he falls asleep and the orderlies come in to move him to a room. Dixie takes hold of Roys arm.

"I think you better tell Hank what's going on."

"I wish I knew, Dix! If he stays like this, I am gonna have to become his guardian and get a power of attorney."

"Just cross that bridge when you come to it. Lets go get a cup of coffee!"

They exit the treatment room, and walk to the Doctors Lounge. Hank, Mike, Chet, and Marco are waiting for them. Hank speaks up first.

"Roy, what is going on? No one will tell us anything." V Roy sits down, while Dixie gets the coffee. He takes a deep breath, and looks at all of them.

"Guys, Johnny has suffered some sort of severe head injury and it has caused a little bit of a change in him."

Hanks face pales, "He's not retarded, is he?"

"No. But, his brain got shaken around pretty good in his head, and there is some bruising. Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, but he has the mind of a 3-5 year old, and acts like one, too."

They all look at Roy in amazement. Hank just shakes his head, "You mean, that was Johnny doing all that yelling down there?"

"Yep, and he thinks I am his daddy. Cap, I don't know how he is gonna respond to you guys. Right now they have him calmed down, but I am gonna stay with him. He is very scared and confused right now."

"Roy, take as much time as you need. I will drop by later to see him." Cap looks at the other guys, "Check with Roy before you go see Johnny. Especially you, Chet. I don't want Johnny getting hysterical because he doesn't know who we are."

They get up and go back to work. Roy and Dixie stay in the lounge and drink their coffee. Roy is quiet for a few minutes, before he looks up at Dixie, with tears in his eyes.

"Dix, I love Johnny so much. What am I gonna do if he is like this permanently?"

"You are just gonna keep on loving him, Roy. If, and thats a big IF, he does have some sort of brain damage and he stays like this, you have 2 options. You are his next of kin. You can either put him in an Adult Care Center, or take him home and love him as your own child every day. I don't think you could ever put him in an Adult Care Center."

"Oh, Dixie. Of course I would take him home and love him as my own child. But, it just scares me that he is like this."

"I know it does. Look, why don't we go check on him and see how he is doing. Lets not jump the gun here on his condition. Just wait and see. And Roy, keep telling him you love him. He knows that you do, or he wouldn't be calling you Daddy."

Roy and Dixie get up, place their cups in the sink, and go upstairs to see Johnny. As they get off the elevator, they can hear him yelling "NO! WANT MY DADDY!"

PART THREE

Previously.....
Roy and Dixie go up to check on Johnny, and as they get off the elevator, they hear him screaming.
***************************

Roy and Dixie hurry down the hall to the room where Johnny is. A nurse is sitting beside him trying to get him to eat, but he won't open his mouth. When Johnny sees Roy walk in, he cheers up a little bit.

"Daddy! Go home!"

Dixie looks at the nurse, "What happened?"

"I was trying to get him to eat a little soup, but he won't even open his mouth."

"OK, go on back to your station. We'll take care of him."

The nurse hands the bowl of soup to Roy, and leaves. Roy sits down next to Johnny, and brushes his hair back out of his eyes.

"Johnny, are you hungry?"

"No. Daddy, go home!"

"Johnny, you can't go home yet. We have to see why your head hurts. You need to try to eat something so you can feel better. Does your tummy hurt?"

"No feel good, Daddy."

Roy looks at Dixie, and she take the bowl from his hands.

"Try to get him to sip some 7-Up."

Roy picks up the glass and holds in to Johnnys mouth. He drinks a little of it and then lays back.

"Are you sleepy Johnny?"

"Uh hu." He lays back and closes his eyes, but then gets sick again. After Dixie gets him cleaned up, she looks at Roy.

"I am gonna give him a shot of Dramamine to help him sleep, and settle his stomach. Hopefully that will work. If not, he won't like what I'll have to give him next."

"Oh Dixie! I don't even want to think about having to hold him down for that!"

They laugh and Dixie gets the shot ready. Johnny sees the needle and starts crying. Dixie just pats him on the leg.

"Johnny, its OK. I am gonna put this in your IV."

"No hurt bottom?"

Dixie and Roy try not to laugh, and Dixie shakes her head. "No, Johnny, it won't hurt your bottom. Not yet, anyway."

Johnny fusses a little bit when she injects it cause he can feel the medicine go in, but within a few minutes he is asleep.

Roy plops down in the chair. "Well, you know, this is really interesting! This reminds me of the time Chris was in the hospital when he was 5 and had to have his tonsils out. He was miserable and make sure he kept Joanne and me hopping."

"Well, he is acting like a typical 3 or 4 year old."

The door opens and Dr. Brackett comes in. "How is he doing?"

Dixie smiles and answers, "He is asleep now, but he threw up again. I gave him a shot of Dramamine and it settled him down."

Roy looks at Dr. Brackett, "What did you find out, Doc?"

Dr. Brackett shakes his head and sits down. "All we can tell is that there is some bruising around the brain, and on the brain, and behind his eyes. He got shaken up pretty good, and it may take a few days for him to get back to normal. I am hoping so anyway. I want to keep him here for a few days, and watch that swelling. Tomorrow morning we will do another cat scan, and Joe is gonna examine his eyes later. Change the IV to Normal Saline till he can keep something on his stomach. If he continues to throw up, try to give him something by mouth. If he won't take it, you know what else you can do." Dr. Brackett smiles at Dixie and Roy. Dixie just shakes her head.

"Yes, I know, and hopefully we won't have to do that cause the whole hospital will hear him yelling then."

"Well, I will check back later. I have rounds to make." Dr. Brackett leaves. Dixie changes out the IV bags, and feels Johnnys forehead.

"He feels a little warm. I am gonna take his temp again. I will try sticking it under his arm."

Dixie manages to take his temp without Johnny waking up. "Its 99 degrees so thats not too bad. I am gonna go back to the ER. If you need anything, I will let the nurses know you are staying."

Dixie leaves and Roy stays by Johnnys bedside. He dozes off a little bit. About 7:30 pm, Dr. Early wakes him up.

"Whats wrong, Doc?"

"Nothing, Roy. I just need to examine his eyes again. Has he been awake?"

"No. He has been asleep for about an hour. You know he is gonna scream his head off if you wake him up to do that."

"I know. I'll wait and do it when he wakes up. Lets let him sleep."

"I agree." Dr. Early starts to leave, but Dix comes in. "I am gonna wait to examine his eyes. He is finally asleep, and I think that will do him more good."

"OK, I am gonna take his temp again, cause it was up a little earlier."

Dr. Early leaves, and Dix sticks the thermometer under Johnnys arm. She looks at Roy. "Have you gotten any sleep?"

"Yeah, some."

Dix takes out the thermometer, and frowns.

"Is it up?"

"Yeah, its 100.1. The last thing he needs right now is an infection. I am gonna try to take it in his mouth. The arm isn't always real reliable." She sticks the thermometer under his tongue and it stays in Johnnys mouth. He stirs a little bit when she removes it. "Its 99, so its not that high."

Dixie turns and Roy sees Johnny open his eyes, and look around, a little confused and a little weary.

Roy moves closer to the bed, and Johnny sees him, but doesn't say anything. "Hi, Johnny. How are you feeling?" Dixie turns back from the door when Roy speaks to Johnny.

"Hurt, Daddy."

"Does your head hurt, Johnny?" Roy asks as he looks over at Dixie.

"Yes, No feel good."

"I'm gonna go get Joe." Dixie hurries out. Roy holds Johnnys hand, and brushes his hair back out of his eyes.

"Johnny, does your tummy hurt?"

"No, HEAD daddy!"

"OK, I know your head hurts. The doctor is gonna come check your eyes. I want you to be a good boy, and lay still so he can check your eyes, OK?"

"Hurt, Daddy?"

"It might hurt your eyes a little bit, but they need to find out what is wrong. OK?" "OK"

The door opens and Dr. Early and Dixie come in. Johnny grabs hold of Roys hand. "Its OK Johnny."

Dr. Early smiles at Johnny. "Here is what I am gonna do. I am gonna put some eye drops in your eyes to dilate them to help me look deep into your eyes, and behind your eyes. I need you to be real still for me, OK?"

"'kay. I be good boy."

Dixie smiles at Roy. Dr. Early looks at Dixie, "Dix, hold his head still just in case. Roy, keep holding his hand."

Dix moves over to Johnny. "Be real still for me, Johnny. You are gonna be OK." She keeps talking softly to him and holds his head firmly. Johnny is still and fine until Dr. Early puts those eyedrops in, and then he starts fussing cause it burns.

"DADDY, HURT! NO! STOP! HURT DADDY!"

Roy holds him down firmly, "Its OK, Johnny. Be real still. I am right here."

Dixie and Roy keep a firm hold on Johnny while Dr. Early examines his eyes. He also checks his ears.

"Well, all I can tell is that there is still some swelling and bruising around the back of the eyes, and near the brain. The cat scan should tell us if there is more extensive damage when we do it tomorrow. Dix, draw some blood for a check on electrolytes and brain chemestry. See if you can get him to keep some soup down. Keep a watch on his temp, too, because if he develops an infection, that will complicate matters."

Dr. Early looks at Johnny before he leaves. "Bye, Johnny. You get some sleep and feel better, OK?"

"'kay."

Dr. Early leaves. Dixie gets the thermometer and looks at Roy, and they both try not to laugh. Dixie looks down at Johnny. "Johnny, I am gonna take your temperature now. I need you to be a good boy and keep this under your tongue." Dixie slips the thermometer under his tongue, and he is real still. So, thinking that all is well, Dixie moves her hand. Johnny promptly spits it out. Roy catches it before it falls on the floor.

"Johnny! This has to stay under your tongue. Do you remember what happened last time you spit it out. Do you want her to have to stick the thermometer in your bottom to take your temperature?"

"Noooo" Johnny whines, looking like he is about to cry.

"Then keep this under your tongue for a few minutes, and you will save yourself a lot of grief!"

Roy slips the thermometer under Johnnys tongue, and keeps his hand under Johnnys mouth. He keeps it in, but he wiggles it around with his tongue, and lets it bob up and down. Dixie and Roy both just shake their heads. Dixie removes the thermometer after a few minutes, but it reads 98 degrees.

"Johnny, I am gonna put this back in your mouth, " Dixie shakes the thermometer down again, "and you need to let it stay there without moving it."

"Noooo. Don't like it!"

"Well, OK, then I am gonna have to stick it in your bottom!'

"Nooooo! DADDY! NO!"

Dixie looks at Roy, "I am gonna have to wait to take it. He is getting too upset right now, and that will make it higher. Let me go get him some soup and see if he will eat that, and then I will take the blood. He isn't gonna be easy, no matter what."

Dixie leaves the room, and Roy sits down next to Johnny on the bed. He holds his hand and talks to him. "Johnny, I know you aren't feeling well, but you need to cooperate. Can you tell me where it hurts?"

Johnny gets a pouty look on his face, and doesn't say anything for a minute. "My head, Daddy. It goes boom, boom, boom. Tummy feels funny. Shot hurts."

"What shot, Johnny?"

Johnny points to the IV. "Not like it."

"I know you don't but you need it so you will not be so sick. Do you hurt anywhere else?"

Johnny nods and points to the catheter.

Roy tries very hard not to laugh. "Johnny, that has to stay in so you don't wet the bed."

"I big boy Daddy. Me not pee in bed. Babies pee in bed."

"Well, lets just wait and see what Dixie has to say about that. You need to be a good boy and show Dixie that you are a big boy by keeping the thermometer in your mouth."

"Don't like it."

"Johnny, if you don't let her stick the thermometer in your mouth, which is the nice and easy way, then we are gonna have to roll you over and stick the thermometer in your bottom, and that is not much fun, is it?"

Johnny just shakes his head.

"Then please help us out and leave it in your mouth. She is also gonna have to take some blood out of your arm again, and we need you to be real still and not scream."

There is a knock at the door, and Johnny looks scared. Roy stands up and walks over to the door. Capt. Stanley is standing there.

"Hi, Roy. How is Johnny doing?"

"About the same. What are you doing here now? Did someone get hurt?"

"No, we all came up here and so if we get a call, I'll have to leave, but I wanted to see if he would know me."

"Its worth a try. Dixie went to get him some soup. He's not being very cooperative."

"Why don't you go get something to eat. I will stay here with him."

"Come in first, and see how he reacts to you."

Roy opens the door and Cap comes in. They walk over to the bed, and Johnny just looks up at Cap, kinda fascinated by this uniformed person.

"Johnny, this is Capt. Hank. He is my boss."

"Hi."

"Hi, Johnny. How are you feeling?"

"Head hurt. Daddy say me big boy. I not pee in the bed."

Roy turns bright red, and Cap tries really hard not to laugh, and retain his composure. "Uh, thats great Johnny. You wouldn't want to wet the bed. Can I sit with you awhile so your, uh, daddy can go get something to eat?"

Johnny just looks at him warily, and then looks at Roy. "Daddy?"

"Its OK Johnny. I will be right back. Capt. Hank is a fireman. You like firemen!"

Johnny brightens up a little and as Roy slips out of the room, he hears Johnny telling Hank about his firetrucks at home. Roy just shakes his head, wondering where in the world he got that from. As he head for the cafeteria, he runs into Dixie. She looks a little surprised to see him.

"Hank came by and he is sitting with Johnny, who is telling him all about his firetrucks at home. I don't know where he got that from!!!"

Dixie laughs, "Well, one thing about all this. He is keeping us entertained."

Roy just rolls his eyes, and they sit and talk for awhile. At 9:00 p.m. they head back upstairs. Johnny is asleep and Hank is reading the paper.

"How did you get him to go to sleep?" Roy asks in amazement.

"He said he was sleepy and went to sleep right after you left. I need to go, so I will talk to you tomorrow."

Hank leaves, and Roy sits down. Dixie slips the thermometer under Johnnys tongue. "Its 99, so its not too bad."

Dixie leaves and Roy settles in to read the paper and wait to see what the night holds.

PART FOUR

Previously.....
Roy settles in for the night beside Johnnys bed, hoping for a quiet night.
***********************

For the next few hours it is quiet, as the hospital settles down. Roy drifts off to sleep. Around midnight, he wakes up when he hears Johnny calling out for him.

"Daddy! Daddy!"

Roy jumps up and goes to Johnnys side. "I'm right here! Whats a matter?"

"Hungry, Daddy."

"OK, let me get that soup for you." Roy calls down to Dixie. In about 10 minutes she comes in with some soup.

"How are you feeling, Johnny?"

"Hungry."

"Does your head hurt?"

"Uh hu"

"Does your tummy feel sick?"

"Hungry, not sick."

"OK, we will soon see, I guess. Roy, I need to get back downstairs. Let me know if he eats it all, and if it stays down."

"OK." Dixie hands Roy the bowl of soup, and leaves. Roy sits down beside Johnny and feeds him the soup. After about half a bowl, Johnny turns his head away.

"Are you full, Johnny?"

"No more. Tummy not feel good."

Roy sets the bowl down on the table, and gets the basin in case he throws up. Johnny starts to cry a little bit.

"Johnny, whats wrong?"

"Tummy feel bad."

"Ok, listen to me. Try to close your eyes and take a deep breath and don't cry. Try to go back to sleep. Think about something else." Roy sits beside him, using a wet cloth to wipe his face. Johnny closes his eyes, but in a few minutes they pop open. "Shhh. Stay calm. Here, sip some 7-UP. Just relax." He helps Johnny sip some 7-UP, and keeps wiping his face with the wet cloth. After about 10 minutes, he looks to be asleep, so Roy moves back to the chair. Right after that, Johnny wakes up and throws up all over the bed and himself. Roy buzzes the nurse, and starts cleaning up the mess as best as he can. Johnny is crying cause he feels bad.

"Daddy! I sick! Head hurts Daddy!"

"I know it does, Johnny. Just hold on, Babe."

The nurse and Dixie come in, and help Roy get everything cleaned up. Dix strips Johnny and bathes him. He also had a slight mishap so its just as well that they gave him a bath. While Dix has him turned on his stomach, and bathing him, she nods to Roy to hand her the thermometer. He smiles, and hands it to her. Dixie talks softly to Johnny as she bathes him.

"Johnny, you are gonna be all nice and clean and I know you will feel so much better. I am gonna take your temperature now, so you just be a good boy and relax." Dixie slowly slips the thermometer in. Johnny is about asleep and doesn't realize right away what she did. She continues to bathe his back, but right before she removes the thermometer, he starts to get upset again.

"NOOO! Daddy!"

Roy holds on to his hand. "Shh, it's OK. See, she's all done."

"It's still at 99." Dixie gets a fresh gown on Johnny.

"Dix, earlier he said he wanted the catheter out." Roy informs Dixie, smiling as he tells her this.

"Well, maybe tomorrow. I am gonna have to give him something to settle his stomach and help him sleep. I am gonna start with some Pepto, and if that doesn't work, I will give him an aspirin suppository."

Roy just groans, "I hope he will take the Pepto, but he has never liked Pepto. But, then he doesn't like any of that other medicine either."

Dixie looks down at Johnny, who has his eyes closed. "Johnny, does your head still hurt?"

"Yes, don't feel good."

"I know you don't and I am gonna give you something to help you feel better."

Dixie smiles at Roy as she leaves the room.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, Johnny?"

"Me not feel good."

"I know you don't. I'm sorry." He sits beside Johnny for a few minutes. Dixie comes in about 1:30 with a few things.

"Johnny, how is your tummy feeling?"

"Feel bad. Head hurt."

"I know it does. Let me give you some medicine to help your tummy feel better. Roy sit him up and let me give him this Pepto." Roy sits Johnny up as Dixie pours the Pepto. "OK, open your mouth." He does, and all is well, until he tastes it, and then he promptly clamps his mouth shut but not before Dixie gets him to swallow it. He makes a funny face.

"No like! Sick, Daddy!" Dixie grabs the basin just in time for Johnny to bring up everything that wasn't lost earlier, including the pepto. "Daddy! I not feel good!"

"I know, Johnny."

Dixie and Roy look at each other, and she holds up the suppository. "I am gonna have to give this to him."

"I know. He isn't gonna get any rest otherwise, and neither will we. Let me talk to him first."

Roy sits down beside Johnny on the bed, wiping his face with a cool cloth. "Johnny, do you want to feel better and go to sleep?"

"Uh hu."

"OK, then I need you to be a good boy. We are gonna turn you over and give you some medicine in your bottom so you can sleep."

"Nooooo, Daddy!"

"Shhh, calm down. It isn't gonna hurt very much, just be a little uncomfortable. But, your tummy will feel so much better, and even your head might not hurt so much, once you get some sleep." He brushes Johnnys bangs back. "Can you act like a big boy and not scream?"

"Not want nuthin in my bottom, Daddy!"

"I'm sorry, Johnny. Come on, Dix, lets get it over with." Roy rolls Johnny over, so that he is half-way draped over Roys lap. Roy holds the hospital gown out of the way. Johnny starts to whimper, until he feels Dixies hands on his ass cheecks.

'NOOOOOOO!!!! DAD-----DDYYYYY!!! Nooooo!!!!! DON'T WANT NUTHIN IN MY BOTTOM!"

"Johnny! Quit yelling! Its not that bad. Calm down." Roy rubs his back but it doesn't help much.

"Johnny, relax your bottom. I am not gonna hold this in there." Dix slips the suppository into Johnnys ass, and it pops back out.

"Johnny! Stop that! Calm down and relax!"

"NO! HURT, DADDY, HURT!" Johnny starts kicking his legs best that he can, and then Roy pops him one on the butt!

"Stop that, Johnny! Settle down!"

Johnny is so stunned from getting swatted that Dix is able to get the suppository in. She waits a few minutes to make sure he doesn't expel it, and when he begins to quiet down, she covers him up, and Roy lays him back. Roy gives him a kiss on the forehead, and Dixie leaves. Roy stays next to Johnny until he falls asleep. A few minutes later, Dixie comes right back in.

"Whats wrong?"

"I forgot to draw the blood with everything that has gone on. He looks like he is pretty quiet now, so I will go ahead and do it." She quickly swabs Johnnys arm, and takes the blood. He whimpers a little bit but that is all. After Dixie leaves, Roy falls asleep in the chair.

Around 7 am, Roy wakes up, and Johnny is still asleep. Dixie and Kel come in a few minutes later.

"Did you find anything out?"

Kel shakes his head, "No, the blood tests were inconclusive. I think the best thing to do right now is to sedate him. All this crying and thrashing around isn't helping things any. By keeping him sedated, his brain will have a chance to heal, and his eyes, too. I think I am gonna wait on another cat scan for now, and just let him sleep. Dix, get his temperature and wake him up to see if he feels any better."

"Doc, I guess you heard about our adventure early this morning."

Dr. Brackett kinda laughs, "Yeah, sorry it had to come to giving him that."

Dix wakes Johnny up, and he just kinda looks around. "Johnny, how are you feeling?"

"Daddy?"

Roy looks at Dr. Brackett and shrugs, "I'm right here, Johnny." He walks over to stand by him.

"How are you feeling?"

"Not feel good. Head hurt."

"Well, you will feel better soon. Dixie is gonna take your temperature. Now, be good and leave it in your mouth."

Dixie tries to stick the thermometer in his mouth, but he won't open it. Dr. Brackett walks over to stand over Johnny.

"Johnny! Cut the foolishness and open your mouth! Otherwise, she is gonna stick the thermometer up your bottom."

Johnny just looks at Dr. Brackett with a pouty face. Dixie sticks the thermometer in his mouth, and he leaves it alone.

"Well, its up to 100."

Dr. Brackett sighs, "OK, lets knock him out. Johnny, you are gonna go to sleep for awhile. You should feel so much better when you wake up."

Dixie gets the shot ready, when there is a knock at the door. Roy goes over to the door, and it is Chet and Marco.

"Hey guys."

Chet smiles, "Can we see little Johnny?"

Roy turns around to ask Dr. Brackett. "Doc, Chet and Marco want to see Johnny. Can they talk to him before you sedate him?"

"Yeah, but not too long, guys." he says as they come in, "He isn't doing very good, and we are gonna sedate him to give him a chance to sleep."

Roy looks at Chet, "Chet, don't upset him."

Both Marco and Chet walk slowly over to Johnny. Roy and Dixie and Dr. Brackett are interested to see what Johnny does when he sees Chet, or if he even knows him. As they approach the bed, Johnny looks at them. Roy stands nearby.

"Johnny, these are your friends, Chet and Marco."

"Hi."

"Hey, Johnny! I hope you feel better soon!" Chet grins at him.

"My tummy not hurt anymore. Her give me some medicine in my bottom, and....."

Roy jumps in before Johnny gives Chet too much information. "Uh, guys, he doesn't know what he is saying! Uh, Johnny, do you remember these guys?"

Johnny looks at them for a minute, and then points to Marco. "Him my friend. Him be nice to me." He looks over at Chet and frowns, "Him not my friend no more, Daddy. Him be mean to me."

Roy, Dixie, and Dr. Brackett are trying very hard not to laugh. Chet looks at Johnny in amazement. "Johnny! What did I ever do to you?"

"You made me wet my pants."

They all crack up laughing. Dixie moves over between Marco and Chet. "I think you two better go on now. We are fixing to sedate him to give him a chance to heal."

Marco and Chet leave. Dixie injects the medicine in the IV, before leaving with Dr. Brackett. Roy sits beside Johnny as he drifts off to sleep

Over the next 3 days, Dr. Brackett and Dr. Early keep Johnny pretty well sedated. Dixie draws blood every day and Dr. Early examines his eyes every day. Roy does go home for awhile, and also works one shift.

It is Tuesday morning. Roy comes to the hospital about 8:30. Dr. Early is gonna examine Johnnys eyes and see if they can bring him out of sedation. Roy sits with him as he comes around. About 10:00 Johnny stirs. Roy sits beside him on the bed. "Johnny, can you hear me? How do you feel?"

Johnny's eyes flutter open, and he looks around. He doesn't say anything for a few minutes.

"Johnny, can you hear me? How do you feel?"

Johnny looks over at Roy, and says.....

PART FIVE

Johnny's eyes flutter open, and he looks around. He doesn't say anything for a few minutes.

"Johnny, can you hear me? How do you feel?"

Johnny looks over at Roy, and says "Where am I?"

"You are in the hospital. How do you feel?"

"Groggy and my head hurts. What happened?"

"Remember you got thrown around in that explosion?"

"Oh, yeah. How long have I been out?"

"Four days. We were really worried about your head injury. Uh, Johnny, you kinda had a regression in age."

"Say what?"

"You were acting like a 3-5 year old."

"No way, man!"

"Fraid so. I sure did miss you." Roy leans over and gives him a light kiss on the lips. "I love you so much and I was afraid you were really ill."

"I love you, too. My head kinda aches, and my stomach feels wierd, but would you see what you can do about getting this fuckin' catheter out."

"Yeah, let me get Dixie up here" Roy calls the desk and talks to Dixie. Roy sits next to Johnny and just holds his hand, as Johnny dozes.

About 10 minutes later Dixie and Dr. Brackett come in. Roy smiles and moves out of the way. Dr. Brackett looks at Johnny.

"Hey, John! How are you feeling?"

"A little groggy, and achy and my stomach feels wierd. But, Doc, can you please take this damn catheter out."

"Not just yet, Johnny. I want to check and make sure you aren't gonna need surgery."

He examines Johnnys eyes, and smiles, "It looks good. You have had a tough few days. If you can eat some soup and keep it on your stomach, then I will take the catheter out later today. If not, I am gonna sedate you for another day. Dix, lets get some vitals on him."

Dr. Brackett leaves, and Dix sticks the thermometer in Johnnys mouth, and takes his BP, while trying not to look at Roy, who is trying not to laugh.

After they leave, Johnny looks at Roy. "Okay, fess up. What is so funny that you guys are about to crack up laughing?"

"Well, you see, you regressed to a 3-5 year old and you weren't always very cooperative when Dixie needed to take your temperature!"

Johnny covers up his eyes and shakes his head. "Don't tell me! She had to take it rectally?"

Roy just laughs and nods his head, "Well, that, too, but you were pretty vocal about not wanting to have it taken. Also, your stomach was pretty upset and after you had thrown up several times, and you wouldn't keep Pepto down, she had to resort to another alternative."

Johnny just groans as Roy laughs. "Roy, please tell me that none of the guys saw me like that!"

Roy starts laughing harder, and Johnny covers his head with the sheet. Roy stops laughing, though, and takes Johnnys hand. "Babe, I was so worried about you, and I love you so much, that I was prepared to take care of you forever and ever. Even if it was to take care of a 3 year old."

"Oh, man! I don't believe this!"

"Johnny, don't you remember anything?"

"I remember us making love the night before we went to work, and I remember going to the fire. I remember my head hurting at one time and a light shining in my eyes. I don't remember too much, though. Did I know you?"

"Yeah. You thought I was your Daddy."

"Oh, my gosh! I wonder why I thought that."

"Dixie thought maybe it was cause of our love for each other."

The door opens and Dixie comes in with a bowl of soup, and some 7-UP. Johnny smiles when he sees her. "Dix, I am sorry if I caused too much of a problem the last couple of days."

Dixie looks at Roy and laughs, "Don't worry about it, Johnny. It was very interesting. Now, see if you can eat some of this soup, and keep it down. Eat it slowly." She hands him the soup, and turns to Roy. "Did you tell him what happened?"

"Yeah, he kinda guessed, though, when I told him he was rather sick."

"Well, Johnny, lets see if you can keep something on your stomach. I'd hate to have to give you another suppository."

Johnny just groans, and shakes his head. "I can't believe you gave me one. Why didn't you give me some Dramimine?"

"Didn't help. You weren't getting much sleep, and you needed to rest. That was when Kel decided to keep you sedated for a few days. I will be back later to see how you are doing. You try to get some rest."

Dixie leaves, and Johnny finishes the soup. Roy hands him the glass of 7-UP and he drinks a little bit. Roy takes the bowl and sets it on the table.

"How are you feeling now, Babe?"

"Just tired, and my stomach is trying to decide if it is gonna keep that soup. My head is kinda sore. You know what would help me more than anything, though?" Johnny takes Roys hand in his.

"What?"

"A big ole juicy kiss from the man I love might just take my mind off my stomach."

Roy smiles, and sits down beside Johnny gently on the bed, being careful not to bother any wires or anything. He cups Johnnys face in his hands, and looks at him. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Babe."

Roy gently kisses Johnny, using his tongue to wet Johnnys lips. Their tongues battle for a few minutes, and Johnny moves his hand over to cup Roys crotch. Roy just moans into the kiss, before he backs off. "Johnny, we better not get carried away here. If you get aroused, that catheters gonna make your cock hurt."

"I know, but I just needed a kiss."

"Does your stomach feel better?"

"Kinda. Hand me the 7-UP." Roy hands him the drink and he drinks a little bit. Roy sits beside him, holding his hand, and Johnny lays back and tries to go back to sleep. Dixie comes back about 30 minutes later.

"How he is doing?"

"His stomach is still a little queasy, and he is trying to sleep. Johnny, are you awake?"

Without opening his eyes, Johnny speaks, "Yeah."

Dixie moves over by him, and places her hand on his forehead. "How is your stomach?"

"Kinda queasy, but a little better. My head is sore, though. I don't think it really hurts, though. Its just sore."

"OK, I am gonna give you some Dramamine in your IV and see if that helps."

Johnny opens his eyes, and looks at Dixie. "What if I need to, uh, you know?"

Dixie smiles, as she injects the medicine into his IV. "I don't think you are gonna need to "you know" but is you feel like you might be, get Roy to help you." She starts out of the room, and then turns back to look at them. "By the way guys, hold off on the kissing. Catheters can make you feel very uncomfortable!" Dixie smiles and leaves. Both Roy and Johnny look at each other.

"Roy, how did she know we were kissing?"

"I don't know. Maybe she started to come in earlier. Look, you try to get some sleep, and I am gonna stay right here. I love you!" He leans over and kisses Johnny, and pretty soon Johnny is asleep. Roy falls asleep shortly after that.

About three hours later, Roy wakes up. Johnny is still asleep. He goes in the bathroom to freshen up, and when he goes back, Johnny is waking up. "HI! How do you feel?"

"Hmm. Better than I did earlier. That Dramimine did the trick, and my head feels better. Would you hand me the 7-UP?" Roy hands him the drink, kissing him as he does. As he sits back down, Dixie and Dr. Brackett come in.

"Well, you look a lot better now!" Dr. Brackett says as he comes over by the bed. "How is your head?"

"My head feels a lot better and my stomach does, too. Please, Doc! Take out this fuckin' catheter!"

Dr. Brackett laughs, "Hold on a minute. Let me check out some things here. I am gonna check your eyes." He checks Johnnys eyes very carefully. "OK, looks good and no sign of swelling. Tell you what. I will take both the catheter and the IV out, and if you keep down solids for 24 hours, I will release you tomorrow. But, you know what you have to do before I will let you go."

"Yeah, I know."

"OK, lay back and just relax. You know this is gonna hurt a little bit." Johnny holds on to Roys hand as Dr. Brackett removes the catheter, taking a couple of deep breaths to keep from yelling. Dixie removes the IV.

"Dix, can I take a shower, please?"

"Only if Roy is gonna help you. Its not a good idea for you to try to take one by yourself cause you are gonna be weak. But, you do need to get up and move around."

Dix and Dr. Brackett leave and Roy helps Johnny get up out of bed. He turns on the shower, while Johnny sits on the chair. And then Roy gets undressed and helps Johnny into the shower. Roy holds him close against him, and helps him wash his hair and his body. Then he holds him and they kiss heavily for a few minutes.

"Roy, let me sit on the bench and give you a blow job!"

"OK!" Roy helps Johnny sit down, and then Johnny proceeds to blow his mind. After Roy explodes, they get out of the shower, and he helps Johnny into some pajamas. Johnny is pretty weak by now, so he just carries him over to the bed. He is asleep within a few minutes. He sleeps most of the day. Roy goes home for awhile to change, and comes back around 7 pm. Johnny is about half awake and watching a ball game with Chet. After Chet leaves, Roy walks over and gives Johnny a kiss. "How do you feel?"

"A little tired but a lot better!'

Roy leans over and kisses him deeply. Johnny wraps his arms around Roy's neck, and pulls Roy down to lay down with him.

"Oh, Johnny. We need to be careful. Your head is still sore!"

"Roy, don't worry! It was just a little bump!"

Johnny kisses Roy deeply as they both drift off to sleep.

 

THE END