Copyright: June 2000 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Johnny's Driving

Author: Robin R. Neher

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: Johnny gives up driving after wrecking the squad.

Content Warning: HANKY ALERT!!!

 

JOHNNY'S DRIVING

By Robin R Neher

Johnny cried as he looked at the wreck of squad fifty-one sitting in the back of the station. Johnny knew that he had really done it this time. Not only had he wrecked the squad, but he'd put Roy in Rampart because of his carelessness, because he'd had to impress some girl.

Hope you're happy, Gage! Someone got hurt because of your actions. Johnny thought to himself. The department had cleared him of any wrong doing, but Johnny still felt he was to blame for the accident. Johnny had been driving the squad to Rampart while Roy rode in the ambulance with a patient. Unknown to John, the squad had bad brakes. When Johnny tried to stop, he couldn't and the squad slammed into the back of the ambulance, injuring Roy, who was riding with their patient. John had also been distracted by a woman in the car next to him.

Johnny felt a hand on his shoulder just then.

"When are you going to forgive yourself?" He heard Roy ask.

Johnny looked at his partner incredulously as Roy sat down next to him on the hood of his car.

"How can you ask me that?! I nearly killed you!!!" Johnny cried.

"Junior, it was not anything you did! The squad's brakes failed!" Roy told him. "That was beyond your control!"

"Yeah, and my looking at some girl instead of the road!" John replied. "My rubbernecking caused your injuries!"

"Johnny, the doc said I'm going to be fine." Roy reminded him. "My arm is healing as well as my lung."

"Roy, how can you ever forgive me?" Johnny asked. "You can't work for awhile because of me! This station no longer has a squad because of me! Your family has no income because of me!"

"John-" Roy pleaded.

Just then, Cap came out, with Roy and Johnny's paychecks, which he handed to them both. He then went back inside.

Johnny stuffed his paycheck into Roy's pocket, then got up to leave.

"Roy, you and Joanne need that money more then I do." Johnny said. "It's not fair for me to get paid knowing that you can't work because of my actions. I'm also giving up my driver's license."

"What!?" Roy exclaimed. "What do you mean you're giving up your license?"

"Roy, I can't be trusted behind the wheel!" John answered. "That became obvious two days ago! I could've killed four other people that day too! I know I'm a reckless driver!"

"John, you can't get around Los Angeles without a car." Roy argued.

"This city does have buses and taxis." Johnny replied. "All I know is that I'll never drive again!"

With that, Johnny went to the parking lot and put a for sale sign on his Land Rover. Johnny then hailed a taxi and left for home.

*****************

Two days later, The guys all watched as Johnny arrived for work on a bicycle. Nobody dared laugh at Johnny with Cap there. Johnny walked in and went straight to the locker room to change into uniform without saying a word to them.

"Guys, Johnny still feels bad about the squad, so, don't tease him about it, okay?" Hank asked.

"Okay, Cap," The guys replied as Johnny came back into the dayroom.

After pouring himself a cup of coffee, Johnny wondered out back. He just wanted to be alone with his thoughts. Craig Brice came out and sat down next to him.. He was filling in for the injured Roy.

"Gage, when the new squad arrives, only I drive it, agreed?" Brice asked.

"Hey, don't worry, I won't be driving anything motorized ever again. I gave up my driver's license." Johnny told him.

"Gage, the accident was not your fault. If anyone's to blame, it's Charlie, the mechanic. How many times did you and DeSoto complain about the brakes on the squad?" Brice asked.

"Hundreds of times." Johnny replied.

"He never even so much as looked at them did he?" Craig asked.

"No, he was always busy with engine Eighty-six. He was rebuilding it's motor." Johnny replied. "We could've just as well taken the squad elsewhere to get new brakes too, you know. Charlie's not the only game in town."

"No, he's not." Cap agreed, joining his medics in back. "The squad can be repaired by any mechanic. It has the same basic parts as a pickup truck."

"I just don't see why Charlie has to always be called for every little repair, even minor ones." Johnny said

"Well, these are city vehicles." Brice put in. "Plus, not anyone could repair the lights, sirens, CB, Etc. That takes someone with knowledge of the squad and engine inside and out."

"Charlie does have that." Cap admitted. "I'm just saying that maybe the department is too dependent on Charlie. Why cant we learn to do minor maintenance ourselves? Why can't we take the squads to repair shops in the area?"

Just then, Mike Stoker poked his head out the door.

"Cap, Charlie's here. He's demanding to see Gage." Mike said, softly. "He has two CHP officers with him."

"Okay, I'll handle it." Hank replied. "Johnny, you stay here."

Cap got up and went inside the station where Charlie was waiting with the officers in the day room.

"Hank, I'm pressing charges against Johnny." Charlie said. "Reckless endangerment and reckless driving."

"Charlie, that squad had bad brakes on it!" Hank yelled. "Brakes that you failed to fix! That wreck was not Johnny's fault!"

"So the department says! The wreck was Johnny's fault in my mind!" Charlie yelled back. "John let himself get distracted behind the wheel. He just had to look at that girl! Now, where is he?"

"Right here." Johnny replied, coming into the room. He stepped over to the police officers. "I'll go along peacefully. I won't resist."

The others watched as Johnny was handcuffed and led away as he was read his rights. Cap followed them out to the police car.

"Johnny, The department will make sure you get a good lawyer." Hank reassured him.

"Cap, I don't want the department involved in this!" Johnny hissed as he was driven away to jail.

Hank turned to Charlie, glaring at him.

"That kid feels bad enough about what happened, now you just go and make it worse!" Hank roared. "You're using Johnny as a way of concealing your own mistakes and I won't let you do it!"

"Hank, Gage caused Roy DeSoto to get injured! Gage should've never been allowed behind the wheel to begin with! You knew how careless a driver he was! I'm sorry, Hank, but I can't let Johnny get off scott free with this. Someone was hurt because of him." Charlie said, as he left the station.

An hour later, Johnny was fingerprinted and booked into the jail. As he sat in his cell, the guard opened his door.

"Well, Redskin, you have a new cellmate!" The guard sneered, as he tossed Roy into the cell.

The guard then closed and relocked the cell door then left.

"Roy?" A suprised Johnny asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Charlie had me arrested too." Roy replied. "That man is an arrogant son of a bitch!"

"A man who doesn't want to admit his own mistakes." Johnny replied. "The accident was partly my fault. I was distracted by that girl. Charlie's right, my carelessness got you hurt."

"Johnny-" Roy pleaded.

"Roy, I was behind the wheel of the squad, so therefore, I'm responsible for wrecking the squad!" Johnny insisted.

Roy sighed and turned away for a minute.

"Johnny, the squad's brakes were bad and we can prove it!" Roy grinned. "Let's call a lawyer and get out of here!"

*****************

Thirty minutes later, Roy and Johnny were free on bail and back at the station. They immediately went out back to where the wreck sat. They saw Charlie looking underneath it.

Johnny cleared his throat. A shocked Charlie rolled out from underneath, holding one of the squad's brake pads.

"Guys, I'm sorry." An ashamed Charlie said. "Johnny, you were right about the brakes. In my arrogance, I didn't want to admit my errors."

"Charlie, that squad should've been taken out of service when we first spoke to you about those brakes." Roy told him. "Johnny and I both could've been killed that day!"

Charlie hung his head, knowing Roy was right.

"Guys, the charges have been dropped against you." Charlie told them.

Just then, a tow truck pulled in with a brand new squad. Charlie's mouth gaped.

"I didn't order this!" He yelled.

"No, but I did." Johnny smiled.

Cap and the rest came out to see the new squad, their mouths wide open.

"Johnny, why?" Roy asked. "How?"

"Roy, I bought it to replace the one I wrecked. As for the how, I did it with my savings, all eight-thousand dollars of it. I hope you like it." Johnny replied, handing Roy the keys.

"Gage, you're alright." Charlie smiled. "You really feel bad about this, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do," Johnny replied, softly. "I loved that old squad too you know."

Charlie melted, seeing the tears on Johnny's face.

"Roy, Rampart is expecting us to outfit this with new medical equipment." Johnny said, getting into the passenger side of the squad.

Johnny was suprised when Roy handed Johnny the keys and the driver's license that he had thrown out days ago.

"I want you to take our new baby for it's maiden drive." Roy said, smiling. "I trust you."

Johnny took the keys and switched places with Roy. Brice watched with shock.

"DeSoto, are you sure this is wise?" Craig asked. "You don't want the new squad wrecked it's first time out, do you?"

"Brice, unlike you, I trust Johnny!" Roy snapped. "It wouldn't hurt you to do the same!"

All of 51's watched as Johnny started the motor and carefully drove the new squad out of the station. The drive to the hospital went off without a hitch. Dixie and the docs came out of the ER to see the new squad 51.

"Look what Johnny got us!" Roy grinned. "He bought this all by himself with his own money!"

"Johnny, you did?" Dix asked.

"I sure did!" Johnny grinned, proudly. "I spent my retirement savings on it."

"You did what?!" Roy yelled.

"I bought this with my retirement money." Johnny calmly repeated. "Roy, I did this for you."

"John, I can't let you do this." Roy said. "Charlie will order us another squad."

"We'll wait six weeks for it!" Johnny argued. "The station needs a squad now. If that means I have to work until I die, so be it!"

"Johnny-" Roy pleaded.

"Roy, I need to do this. Please let me." Johnny said, his brown eyes pleading.

"Roy, Johnny was nice enough to do this. The least you can do is appreciate it." Dix put in as she and Roy went inside the ER.

"Dix, He spent his pension on that!" Roy argued.

"So? It's his money. He can spend it any way he wants." Dix replied. "He does have his department pension too you know. Roy, relax, enjoy your new squad."

TWO MONTHS LATER...........

Roy was back on duty after recovering from his injuries. On this first day back, going through the apparatus bay, he stopped and looked at the new squad. As much as he loved the squad, Roy still didn't feel good about how it was obtained.

Johnny gave up his future for this! Roy thought. He gave his savings so this station could have a squad.

Just then, Johnny came in.

"Welcome back, Roy." Johnny grinned, clapping him on the shoulder. "I'm glad you're back, Pally."

"Me to, Junior." Roy smiled. "Joanne's glad to be rid of me. I was driving her crazy!"

"I can imagine! Having anyone staying at home for two months can get on people's nerves! Even the most patient of wives like Jo!" Johnny laughed. "God, she was glad to see me when I came visit you last night."

"Poor Jo, I guess I owe her for putting up with me during my convelesance!" Roy laughed.

"You owe me for putting up with Brice!" Johnny laughed even harder. "Ready to take your first official ride in the new squad?"

"I guess." Roy replied, taking the keys from Johnny.

Johnny watched as Roy headed around to the driver's side, albeit reluctantly. Johnny took his place in the passenger seat. Johnny could sense that his best friend was having a hard time with the new squad.

"Roy, what is it?" His junior partner asked.

"John, I just don't feel right about this." Roy told him as they left the station for Rampart.

"Why not?" Johnny asked.

"Because, you bought this with your own money. That bothers me." Roy admitted. "That money should have gone for your future."

"Roy, it's my money." Johnny argued. "I can spend it however I wish."

"But why this?" Roy asked.

"The truth?" Johnny asked.

"The truth." Roy answered.

"Roy, I bought this for you!" Johnny yelled. "When I wrecked that squad, I felt I'd let you down!"

Roy sat in shock at Johnny's outburst.

"Johnny, how could you feel that way?" Roy asked.

"You trusted me with that squad and I failed you!" Johnny sobbed. "I also failed Cap and the other guys too!"

"That's not true." Roy told him. "That accident was just that, an accident. Junior, stop punishing yourself. You did nothing wrong."

"Then why do I feel like I did?" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, what do you mean?" Roy asked.

"Roy, I see the way you guys look at me. I see the smirks on your faces. You all think I was careless." John replied. "Don't deny it, Roy. I know what I see."

"Junior-" Roy protested.

"Roy, I'm a failure, I know it." Johnny said, cutting him off.

Roy just sighed as he pulled the squad into Rampart. He knew that when Johnny was like this, it was best to let Johnny work through it himself. Turning off the motor, Roy said, "Wanna get something to eat while we're here?"

"No thanks," Johnny replied. "I'm going to go see Brackett."

"Suit yourself." Roy replied as they walked inside the ER.

Roy went straight to the nurse's station for supplies and coffee while Johnny headed to Brackett's office.

**************

Once he got to Dr. Brackett's office, Johnny knocked on the office door.

"Enter," Kel Brackett called from inside.

Johnny opened the door and entered the office.

"Johnny, is something wrong?" A concerned Kel asked as Johnny sat down opposite him.

"Doc, you heard about what happened to the squad, right?" John asked.

"Yeah, I also heard that you blame yourself for the accident." Kel replied. "Johnny, that accident was not, repeat, was not your fault! If you came in here to resign from the Paramedics, I won't let that happen! You are too good at what you do!"

Johnny sighed with acceptance.

"Doc, how can the guys ever forgive me for wrecking the squad?" Johnny asked. "They all loved that squad!"

"They'll just have to adjust to the new one." Kel replied. "Life is about adjustment. Nothing stays the same forever."

"I know, Doc," Johnny nodded. "Roy seems to be having the hardest time with it."

"He'll just have to learn to accept it, like it or not."Kel told Johnny. "You did the most unselfish thing I've ever heard of by buying that new squad for the station. The least your fellow firefighters can do is accept it, no questions asked. Now get back to your partner! He's probably wondering where you are!"

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied, then got up to leave. "Thanks for the talk."

"Anytime, Hose jockey." Kel smiled, as Johnny left.

*****************

Minutes later, Johnny joined Roy at Dixie's desk. Roy saw his partner smile for the first time since the wreck.

"Feeling better, John?" Roy asked.

"Yeah, Is that lunch invitation still good?" Johnny grinned.

"As long as your buyin'." Roy grinned back.

"Your buying for me too, John." Dix reminded him. "You owe me for the poker game last night."

"Junior, don't you know that if you play poker against Dix, you'll lose?" Roy laughed.

I do now. John thought as Roy and Dix led him toward the cafeteria.

Later, when squad fifty-one arrived back at the station, Johnny and Roy went straight to the dayroom where the other guys were.

"We have something we all need to talk about." Johnny announced.

"What is it, Pal?" Hank asked.

"Guys, over the past few days, I've sensed that you all blame me for wrecking the squad. I want you to tell me the truth, do you guys think what happened to the squad was my fault?" Johnny asked.

"I know what happened wasn't your fault." Roy replied. "Guys?"

The other four firemen all shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

"Guys, do some of you blame John for the accident?" Hank asked.

"I do," Chet Kelly answered. "John, your mind is always on girls. When you're on duty, your mind should be on your job."

"Are you saying you don't like the way I do my job?!" Johnny demanded.

"Gage, you may be a good firefighter, but I wouldn't want you treating me. I'm sorry, but that's the truth." Chet admitted.

"Why, Chet?" Marco Lopez asked. "Johnny and Roy are the best medics in LA."

"I just think that it takes more then kissing boo boo's to be a medic. Gage may have the education, but his bedside manner sucks." Chet answered. "I've heard him brag about dating the female patients and he gets jealous if someone besides him gets publicity."

"So, that makes me a bad medic?!" An angry Johnny yelled.

"Johnny, you are sloppy and careless on the job. The incident with the squad is just more evidence of your clumsiness in my eyes." Chet calmly replied. "You cause your own injuries most of the time."

Johnny got up from his chair, tipping it over and left, slamming the back door behind him. Roy glared at Chet.

"Thanks alot, Kelly!" Roy yelled. "I just got him feeling good about himself again, then you go and tear him down! Why did you do that?!"

"Roy, Johnny has never wanted to face the truth about himself and his faults!" Chet defended himself. "That wreck was his fault!"

"Do all of you feel this way?!" Roy demanded.

"I agree with Chet." Mike Stoker spoke up, quietly. "Johnny caused that wreck and if you weren't so blinded by your loyalty to Johnny, you'd see that, DeSoto."

"Mike, Roy cares about John. What's wrong with that?" Hank asked.

"He cares too much." Chet answered. "Johnny can do no wrong in Roy's eyes."

"That's not true." Roy snapped. "Yes, I care about Johnny. He's my best friend!"

"All I'm saying is that maybe Johnny isn't suited to be a firefighter." Chet replied. "He has no concept of discipline or of professionalism. He also has no concept of responsibility for himself or others."

*************

Outside, A hurt Johnny listened to the words Chet was saying. The words stung deep in his heart. He thought that Chet was conveying the thought of the entire crew, including Roy.

I know now how much they really love me! Johnny thought, his anger growing. Johnny went back inside the station and before anyone could react, stomped into the apparatus bay. He the got in the new squad and started the motor.

"Since you guys don't seem to want this, I;m taking it with me!" Johnny yelled. "You'll never see it or me again!"

Johnny gunned the motor and sped out of the station. All the others could do was watch.

**************

After leaving the station, Johnny went to headquarters and turned in his badge, then returned the new medical equipment to Rampart. After that was done, Johnny drove the now decommissioned squad to his ranch on the outskirts of Los Angeles, where he parked it in his garage.

"At least I appreciate you." Johnny said as he began to polish his squad.

******************

Back at the station, the remaining crew sat at the table in silence. Chet knew that he and Mike had hurt Johnny beyond repair this time. They all knew John would keep his word and not return.

Roy sat in the locker room, away from the others, anger overwhelming him. He wasn't angry at the guys, but at himself for allowing things to go this far.

Here Johnny did a wonderful thing for us and we repay him by blaming him for the accident! Roy thought. How he must hate us all now.

*****************

Back at his ranch, Johnny was plotting his revenge on the guys.

Let's see how LA likes doing without it's paramedics for awhile and it's rescue squads. Johnny thought as a wicked smile crossed his face.

Going back inside the ranch house, Johnny sat down at his desk and wrote a letter to the editor of the LA times.

To the editor:

I am writing this letter because I am concerned about where our tax money is going. It is going to paramedic programs like the one in the Los Angeles County Fire Department. In this reader's opinion, medical treatment should be left to doctors. Fireman should just stick to firefighting. As for the rescue squads on our streets, they are just one more thing folks like us don't need to pay for.

Engine crews are just as capable of doing rescues as any so-called aramedic. If anyone is in bad shape, a rescue helicopter could get that patient to the hospital faster then any ambulance can.

Firefighter's are trained as EMT's and can provide any basic care. If someone needs more then that, they can wait til they get to the hospital.

A frustrated taxpayer.

Johnny placed his letter in an envelope, addressed it, then mailed it to the Times.

This oughta ruffle some feathers. Johnny thought, as he waked back inside the house.

******************

At station fifty-one, Roy had a bad feeling that Johnny was going to do something to get back at him and the rest of the guys. Roy was already missing Johnny.

"Chet, you and Mike are going over to Johnny's after end of shift and apologizing to him, understand?" Roy asked.

"Roy, we're sorry if we hurt John, but we were just being honest about how we felt." Mike replied. "It was just how I felt."

"Gentleman, I know Gage can be a pain sometimes, but he is a good firefighter." Cap told them. "He is a part of our family. This station wouldn't be the same without his crooked smile. You two miss him, admit it."

Mike and Chet hung their heads, in shame. They knew they had hurt Johnny.

"Cap, I loved that squad. That wreck to me was like a death in the family." Chet said, softly. "It's like John killed it."

"Chet, we all loved that squad, but it's gone now. We have to accept that." Hank told him. "Johnny didn't intend for that accident to happen."

"Cap's right." Roy put in. "Accidents just happen. You guys ought to be thankful that there were no serious injuries that day. A squad can be replaced, but lives can't."

Mike and Chet, sighed, knowing Roy was right.

****************

At the ranch, Johnny retrieved his letter from his mailbox and tore it up.

I can't do that to my friends after all they did for me. Johnny thought. "I can't ruin years of work on the paramedic program just so I can get revenge! It wouldn't be right!

The next day, after getting off duty. Roy had Mike and Chet in his car, taking them to Johnny's house.

"I expect you guys to act like gentlemen." Roy told them. "That means no jokes, Chet, of any kind. Understand?"

"Yes, Mother," Chet sarcastically replied.

"Mike?" Roy asked.

"Yeah, yeah," Mike flatly replied.

Roy sighed as they neared Johnny's ranch, knowing that these men were just doing this to please Roy, not because they wanted to. Roy knew that their apologies would not be sincere, but Roy felt that this was what Johnny needed. Johnny sat on the front step of his house as Roy pulled into the driveway. Roy put his car in park and turned off the ignition.

"You two wait here while I smooth things over with John." Roy told his fellow fireman, as he got out of his car.

Johnny scowled when he saw Mike and Chet in the car with Roy.

"Johnny," Roy greeted him. "I have some people here with something to say to you."

"Roy, I'll come back to the station." Johnny said. "As for those two, I don't want their apology unless it's sincere."

"Johnny, we have to work with these guys!" Roy exclaimed.

"They can go to hell for all I care." John answered, coldly.

Mike and Chet emerged from Roy's car at this time. Mike looked Johnny Square in the eye.

"John, what do you want from me?" Mike softly asked.

"Nothing." Johnny replied. "You made your opinion of me clear a few hours ago. I will work at station fifty-one, but I don't want you two anywhere near me. If I'm in one room, you go to another. On a call, if I get into trouble, I'll ask Roy or Cap, even Marco to help me. I'll just pretend that neither you or Chet exists."

Mike hung his head as he made his way back to Roy's car, along with Chet. Roy sat down next to Johnny.

"Johnny, they're trying. Doesn't that count for something?" Roy asked.

"Roy, I'm not stupid!" Johnny hissed. "They only came cause you made them, not because they wanted to! Roy, for them to be sincere, they have to want to apologize and come here themselves."

****************

In Roy's car, Chet and Mike knew that Johnny may never forgive them. They also knew that with Johnny ignoring them, it would be impossible to function at work.

"Did Cap approve our transfer?" Chet asked.

"Yes, you are to report to station eighty-six tomorrow." Mike replied. "I will be assigned to headquarters until a spot for an Engineer becomes open at another station."

"Should we tell John and Roy?" Chet asked.

"No, they'll find out soon enough." Mike replied. "Maybe this is for the best. Fifty one's A-Shift has been together too long."

"Yeah, time to move on." Chet agreed, albeit sadly.

The next day, when John and Roy reported for duty, They both noticed two new faces in their midst. When Cap started roll call, he introduced the newcomers.

"Guys, this is Marc Miller, our new Engineer and Reece Rose. Reece will be taking Chet's place." Hank told his men.

"Where are Chet and Mike?" Marco Lopez asked.

"They've been transferred." Hank replied.

Johnny was relieved that Cap didn't say any more about Chet and Mike after that. After roll call was over, Johnny went over to Marc and Reese.

"Welcome to station fifty-one. I'm Johnny Gage." Johnny said, extending his hand.

"I couldn't care less who you are!" The new Engineer hissed. "You are just a lowly paramedic maggot!"

Johnny flinched at the short and pudgy man's words. Marc turned back to tending engine fifty-one. Reece put his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

"Don't listen to him." The taller and skinner brunette said. "Marc is just a grouch."

"I can tell!" Johnny muttered, as he started inventorying the squad.

***************

Later, when station fifty-one sat down for lunch, Marc Miller sat on the couch, eating alone.

"Hey, Miller, come eat with us." Cap invited.

"No, thank you," Miller replied. "I don't eat with Paramedic maggots!"

Roy and Johnny tried to contain their anger by gritting their teeth. Cap sympathized with them.

Miller is getting on my nerves too! Hank thought. I bet Roy and Johnny want to hit this guy!

Fortunately, the tones sounded, sending them all to a fire in the center of town. As they worked to contain the fire, Marc stayed with the engine. Cap stood watching over his men. Johnny and Roy were on their way to Rampart with a victim on smoke inhalation. As Cap watched, the fire was put out after two hours.

*****************

When the squad and engine got back to the station, Marc headed into the dorm to lay down. Cap stopped him.

"Miller, I want Roy and Johnny to check you out." Hank ordered as the medics came over with their equipment.

"Captain, I just have a headache." Marc argued. "After some rest, I'll be fine."

"Marc, let 'em check you over." Reese encouraged.

"Let us do our job." Roy added, coming closer to Marc.

Marc, in turn picked up the sandy haired fireman and flung him across the bay. Roy landed with a thud on his back. Johnny stood in shock, not believing what he'd just witnessed. Cap advanced on the engineer.

"Miller, that man was trying to do a job!" Hank yelled. "Why do you hate Gage and DeSoto so much?!"

Marc just turned and walked into the dorm, shutting and locking the door behind him. Once he was gone, Johnny ran over to Roy, who sat dazed on the floor.

"Roy, are you hurt?" His concerned partner asked.

"No, just mad as hell!" Roy hissed. "How dare that Neanderthal refuse to be examined! How dare he disobey a direct order!"

Johnny, meanwhile, was banging on the dorm door with his fists.

"Miller!!! You open this door right now!!" Johnny demanded.

"Stay away, Maggot!" Miller answered from inside. "Neither one of you guys is touching me!"

"Marc, we just we to be sure you're alright!" Roy pleaded.

"You ain't doctors!" Marc yelled. "You guys think that with three months training you should have an MD after your name! You think you're gods!"

"All we want is to help you!" Hank yelled.

"Hank, you want to help me? Keep those medics away from me!" Marc replied.

Roy and Johnny grabbed their stuff and put it back in the squad.

"What do you guys think you're doing?" Cap asked.

"Cap, we can't examine him if he won't cooperate." Roy replied. "We've done all we can!"

Reese, meanwhile knocked on the dorm door.

"Marc? Will you let me in? It's Reese." Reese pleaded.

"Okay, but just you! No funny stuff!" Marc replied.

Cap silently signaled to Roy and Johnny, who got their equipment and took positions behind Reese. The door was unlocked and opened by Marc and Roy and Johnny charged in.

"You son of a bitch!!!!" Marc roared.

"Now, look!" Roy yelled. "You are going to sit down, shut up and let us examine you or I will report you to the Chief, got that?! I outrank you when you've been injured, so therefore, you have no choice!"

"Go to hell!" Miller hissed.

"Miller, either you get checked out or you will be suspended for a shift!" Hank yelled.

"Fine!" Miller replied, handing his badge to Hank, then leaving the station.

Hank turned to his remaining crew.

"I'll go call headquarters and get us another Engineer." Cap said. "Reese, my office!"

"Yes, Sir." Reese replied, swallowing hard.

Reese then followed Hank into his office and shut the door. Hank looked him in the eye.

"Reese, I've reviewed yours and Miller's service records and I must say I'm disappointed that the department would let scum like you and Miller in! Your record is dismal! It says here that you have been in trouble from the day you joined! You have been on probation for refusing to submit to examination on several occasions!" Hank yelled.

"Only by Paramedics!" Reese replied. "I don't trust them, any of them! I'd break their fingers before I let them near me!"

"What would you do if you were badly hurt and the medics were all you had?" Hank asked. "They may be your only chance of survival!"

"Then I'd rather die!" Reese stated.

Out in the rec room, Johnny Gage shook his head.

"What is with those new guys? Why do they hate us?" Johnny asked.

"Johnny, there are still people who don't like the program. There always will be people who are opposed to us." Roy told him. "We just have to keep on doing our jobs and ignore them."

"What do we do if Reese gets hurt? Do we treat him anyway?" Johnny asked.

"Depends on the injury." Roy replied. "If it's not that bad, just let him be. He does have a right to refuse treatment as long as he signs a release just like you do."

"What if Cap orders us to treat him? He's as big as Miller is! You know what Miller did to you." Johnny shuddered.

"If Cap orders us to treat him, we will obey, no matter how we feel," Roy replied. "If Cap gives us an order, we must carry it out. C'mon, Partner, let's go to Rampart for supplies."

"Okay." Johnny sighed.

*******************

Thirty minutes later, Roy and Johnny walked into Rampart's ER. Dixie's smile greeted them.

"Hi, Boys, what can I do for you?" Dix asked.

"We need some supplies," Johnny replied, handing Dix a supply requisition.

"I hear Mike and Chet transferred out of 51's." Kel Brackett said as he joined the firemen at the desk.

"Yeah, the replacements are a real pain in the ass!" Roy griped. "They hate paramedics with a vengeance!"

"Let me guess, Miller and Rose?" Kel asked.

"Yeah," Johnny replied, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Reese Rose is in the clutches of Marc Miller. He can't breathe without Miller's okay." Dix put in. "Miller controls Reese's every move."

"You should've seen what Miller did to me when I tried to examine him. He picked me up and threw me across the bay!" Roy told Kel and Dixie.

"Roy, are you hurt?" Kel asked.

"Just a few bruises, that's all." Roy replied. "Miller's been suspended for a shift."

"Roy, you and Johnny watch out for those two." Brackett warned. "They will hurt you if you even so much as attempt to examine them. Reese decked Dixie when she tried to take his vitals once."

"You're kidding!" John exclaimed. "Someone actually decked big, tough Dix?!"

Dix wanted to be anywhere but there at that very moment.

"Guess your not so tough, are you, Dix?" Roy laughed.

"Oh?" Dixie purred. "Why don't I show you what I do to people who laugh at me!"

Dixie took her steaming hot cup of Java and poured it into Roy's pants.

"AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH HHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Roy screamed in pain and jumped up and down.

Johnny just stood, trying not to laugh at his best friend, who now looked like he wet his pants.

"Shit, that smarts!" Roy yelled.

"That'll teach you to laugh at me!" Dix smiled, then walked away.

"Johnny, help Mr. Coffee into treatment two." Kel giggled, indicating Roy.

A snickering Johnny led a writhing Roy down the hall. Kel followed minutes later.

*********************

After Kel examined him, Roy walked out of the treatment room, now wearing scrub pants He had his uniform pants in a plastic bag to be cleaned later, along with his underwear. When Roy saw Dix, he went to his knees and bowed to her.

"Dix, you are tough! You are tough!" Roy groveled. "Please, forgive my earlier behavior!"

"Get up!" Dix laughed. "I can't stand to see a grown medic grovel. Just watch your mouth next time."

"Yes, Ma'am, I will." Roy stammered as he got to his feet. As Roy walked away, Dix grabbed his privates and gave them a painful squeeze.

"OOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Roy squealed.

"Just to make sure you remember what happens when you antagonize me! Johnny, I hope that you're taking notes." Dix said, then walked away.

Johnny just shrugged his shoulders as Roy limped toward the ER doors.

"If you're wise, you'll keep your mouth shut and not say a word to the guys when we get back to the station!" Roy warned Johnny.

***************

The guys in the station were all shocked when Roy limped in. Roy went straight to the dorm to change into fresh pants and underwear. As Roy was taking off the scrub pants, Cap came in. He was shocked to see how bruised and red Roy's privates were.

"Don't ask!" Roy warned.

"I didn't say anything." Cap replied.

******************

In the rec room, Steve Williams, Miller's replacement, was pumping Johnny for information.

"C'mon, Gage, you might as well tell us." Steve grinned. "We all know what a big mouth you have."

"C'mon, Johnny, tell us what happened to Roy." Marco urged.

Roy came in at this time. He looked Johnny in the eye.

"Gage, you haven't told, have you?" Roy asked, coming over to Johnny.

"No, Roy," Johnny replied.

"Make sure you keep it that way or else!" Roy warned his partner as he walked toward the kitchen.

The other guys advanced on the younger medic. Johnny backed away from them. Just then, the tones sounded.

Engine 51, Squad 86, Battalion 14, Structure fire. 457 Dixie Place. Time out 12:13.

"Engine 51, 10-4-KMG-365." Cap acknowledged, then boarded the engine with the rest of the engine crew, much to Johnny's relief.

"This isn't over, Johnny!" Marco called as the engine sped out of the station.

Roy put an arm around Johnny.

"I'm counting on you to keep this quiet, Junior." Roy told him. "Remember that I have dirt on you."

"You wouldn't!" Johnny yelled. "You promised!"

"Oh, wouldn't I?" Roy smiled. "How do you think Cap and the guys would react if they knew that before you joined the department, you worked at a strip club? Hmmmm?"

"Alright, so I worked as a stripper for awhile. I had to make a living you know." Johnny replied. "I had to eat."

"Johnny, you could've found other work." Roy told him. "I think working in a strip club is degrading! For my bachelor party, my friends took me to one! That was the most uncomfortable experience of my life!"

"Roy, it's all done in fun and entertainment! There's no actual sex involved!" Johnny argued. "We were never allowed to date customers. It was company policy,"

"Really?" Roy asked.

"It was just as degrading for me to have to use my body to entertain a bunch of drunk and amorous women! They would all take turns fondling me. One even tried to rip off my G- string once! After that, I quit and entered the academy."

"Why didn't you ever tell the guys about this?" Roy asked.

"Can you imagine the field day Chet would've had if he'd known? I would have never lived it down." John replied. "Roy, please, don't tell them about it!"

"That all depends on you and if you keep what happened at Rampart earlier a secret." Roy replied.

"How are you going to explain it to Joanne? She's gonna wonder why you're walking funny." Johnny laughed.

"Good question." Roy agreed. "She's gonna notice my swollen privates and the stained pants."

*************

Sure enough, when Roy arrived home from his shift the next morning, Jo did notice how red and swollen Roy's privates were as he was preparing to take a shower.

"Honey, what happened to your love machine?" Jo asked.

"Dixie," Roy replied. "I learned the hard way you don't tease Dixie McCall."

"What did she do?" Jo asked.

Roy sighed.

"C'mon, Lover, tell me." Jo urged. "I promise, I won't laugh."

"She poured her cup of coffee down my pants!" Roy told his wife. "All because I said she wasn't so tough, because she got punched by a fellow fireman. Then to make sure I'd learned my lesson, she grabbed my privates and squeezed them, hard!"

Jo doubled over in laughter as Roy glared at her.

"You said you wouldn't laugh!" He yelled.

"Honey," Jo wheezed. "This is just too funny! I gotta tell Mom about this!"

Jo left the bathroom and went to call her mother, laughing all the way. When Roy emerged from the shower minutes later, he passed his son and daughter, who were on the way out to catch the school bus.

"Hi, Kids." Roy smiled as they ran past him.

"Wait until the guys at school hear that my dad got beat up by a nurse." Roy heard Chris tell his younger sister.

Roy stormed to his den and locked himself inside. He was totally humiliated.

Once in the privacy of his den, Roy quickly dressed then sat down to work on bills.. As the hours passed, Roy came to realize that the whole situation with Dixie was pretty funny. At twelve noon, Roy heard Joanne calling to him.

"Roy, Honey, Johnny's here." Jo called. "He wants to know if you'd like to go camping with him for two weeks."

Roy went out to the front room where Johnny was seated on the couch, a glass of milk in his hand,

"Hey, Junior," Roy greeted his best friend. "Here to mooch off me again?"

"Roy!" Joanne admonished her husband.

"Sorry," Roy said, feeling like a whipped puppy.

"Jo, he was just kidding, right, Roy?" Johnny grinned.

"Yeah, Johnny and I tease each other all the time." Roy put in. "Johnny, I'd love to go camping with you. Jo, is it okay?"

"Roy, you don't have to have my permission to go somewhere." Joanne smiled. "If you wanna go, go. You're a grown man who can make his own choices."

"I'll go get my stuff. Be right back." Roy smiled as he dashed upstairs,

Joanne then turned to Johnny.

"Thanks for doing this." She smiled. "Roy and my mother in the same room is like oil and water, they don't mix."

"Why? Gloria's a nice lady." Johnny replied.

"Mom never approved of Roy being a fireman. She always dreamed that I'd marry a doctor." Jo explained. "Roy thinks my Mom is a battle ax."

"I see," Johnny nodded. "Don't worry, I'll take good care of your husband. "

"I know you will, Johnny. Maybe with him gone, my Mom and I can have a nice visit for once." Joanne sighed.

"Haven't you before?" John inquired.

"No. How can we with Roy and she arguing from day one?" Jo answered. "Roy always ruins it and Mom ends up leaving early. What are you going to do with Roy for two weeks?"

"Jo, he and I have alot of fun when we're together. We will this time too." Johnny grinned.

Just then, Roy came downstairs with his stuff all packed.

"I'm ready." Roy grinned.

"We'd better get going if we want to make camp before sundown." Johnny told Roy as the headed out the front door. Roy stopped and gave Jo a good-bye kiss.

"Have fun." Jo called as the men headed out to Johnny's Land Rover.

Jo stood watching as the men drove away, then went to get the house ready for her Mom's arrival.

 

PART 20 SOON