Copyright: December 2000 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY
PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS
AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON
ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: I'm not Mr. fix-it

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: N/A

Summary: Johnny goofs while trying to repair something, again!

Archive: Yes.

Content Warning: Some harsh language.

 

I'm Not Mr. Fix-It

by Robin R. Neher


"Gage, you twit!" Captain Hank Stanley yelled as he viewed the scattered parts of Squad 51 spread all over the apparatus bay floor. "What the hell have you done to the squad?!"

"Cap, the squad has an oil leak." Johnny answered from under the squad. "I called Charlie about it."

"Charlie told us to fix it ourselves." Roy DeSoto, Johnny's partner and best friend added. "Johnny, you're just making a mess! Get outta there!"

An oil-covered Johnny Gage crawled out from under the squad and getting up off the floor, handed his wrench to Cap.

"Okay, so I'm not a handy man! At least I try, unlike you!" Johnny growled, then stormed out back.

"Roy, talk to him!" Hank ordered. "You seem to be the only one that can get through to that boy!"

"Cap, Johnny was only trying to help. Charlie's got his hands full at the garage." Roy told his superior. "I'll see to it the squad gets put back together. I'll go call my mechanic right now. It won't take much to get the squad up and running again."

"And what do we do in the meantime without a squad?!" Hank hissed, angrily.

"Cap, I'll take care of it!" Roy insisted. "We'll get another squad to cover our territory til our squad is fixed. Now, go in your office and cool off!"

Cap spun on his heels and stomped into his office, slamming the door behind him. The other guys all scattered to different parts of the station, wanting to avoid Cap at all costs. Roy called his mechanic, who agreed to come immediately to the station and begin work on the gutted squad.

"Mike, take the squad out of service." Roy requested of the Engineer. "I'm gonna go talk to Grease Monkey Gage."

______________________________________

Roy found Johnny out back, cleaning himself up.

"Go away!" John hissed. "If you're just here to yell at me, go away!"

"John, calm down!" Roy told him. "Cap's just upset right now. I know you were trying to help."

"Stanley sure doesn't though!" Johnny growled. "He acts like not having a squad is the end of the world!"

"Johnny, we are a rescue company." Roy calmly reminded his partner. "That squad is vital to that job. I know you didn't mean any harm, but the fact is, you had no business laying a hand on that squad without some knowledge of what you were doing. Fixing a squad is not like fixing your Land Rover. The squad is alot more complicated."

"I guess I blew it again." Johnny shook his head. "Everything I try to fix, I destroy."

"Not everyone is a handyman." Roy told his partner. "I'm not, Chet's not."

"It's obvious Chet and I aren't. Remember the TV and that kid's motorcycle?" Johnny asked, laughing.

"Remember Chet's skis?" Roy laughed with him.

"Oh yeah! He put too much wax on them!" Johnny guffawed. "What the hell would Chet want with snow skis in LA anyway?"

"Who knows?" Roy laughed. "And since when does he know how to ski?"

"Since when does Chet know how to do anything?" Johnny laughed. "Remember when we worked that accident where one car was flooded and he opened the door? Water went all over his feet!"

Roy and John laughed loud and hard as Hank joined them on the stoop. Johnny eyed Cap, wearily.

"Uh, Johnny." Hank stammered. "This is so hard to say!"

"What, Cap?" Johnny asked.

"Johnny, I-" Hank stopped short. "Damn, this is hard!"

"Johnny,I-" Hank tried again. "Aww, forget it!"

Cap got up and went back inside as Johnny shook his head.

"Johnny, don't take it personally." Roy said. "I'm sorry is sometimes hard to say."

"Hey, I'm not holding my breath for that blowhard to apologize! Cap's too stubborn for that." Johnny answered. "Hank Stanley will never admit he's wrong!"

Roy's mechanic came out then.

"Squad's fixed." The guy grinned.

"Thanks, Bob." Roy smiled. "C'mon, Partner, let's get back to work."

"Gage, next time, call Charlie." Bob suggested as Cap came out.

"Roy, get Gage out of my station!" Cap ordered. "The less of him I see for awhile, the better!"

"Yes, Sir." Roy replied. "C'mon, Junior."

"Cap-" Johnny began, only to have Roy stop him.

"Junior, you want to get in even deeper?" Roy asked.

Johnny shut up and joined Roy in the squad.

"LA, Squad 51, Available." Johnny reported as he and Roy left the station.

_____________________________________

A few minutes later, Johnny turned to Roy.

"Why can't Cap forgive me?" Johnny asked. "I didn't mean to make him mad!"

"Johnny, you do things that make him mad." Roy told the younger man. "I know you don't mean to, but you can piss people off sometimes."

Johnny sighed as Roy made a right turn.

"Maybe we should stay out of the station all shift." Johnny said.

"No, maybe you should just avoid Cap for awhile." Roy smirked. "Seriously, you'd be best to keep your distance from Cap til he calms down. On a call, I'll do the talking."

The CB radio beeped three times.

Engine 51, Squad 16 in place of squad 51, structure fire, 222 Sable Street, 222 Sable Street. Timeout: 11:45.

"Roy, we're available and closer to the scene!" Johnny yelled.

"Johnny, let it go. The call isn't for us!" Roy told him. "Remember what I told you? Keep your distance."

Johnny could only watch as he and Roy drove past the fire and squad 16 arrived on scene.

"Junior, we'll get a call soon enough." Roy assured Johnny. as they drove on toward Rampart.
___________________________________

At the fire, Chet Kelly approached Cap.


"Cap, why did you have 16's dispatched?" Chet asked. "Roy and Johnny were closer!"

"I don't want Gage anywhere near me right now." Cap told Chet.

___________________________________________________


As the morning faded into afternoon, there were still no calls for squad 51 and Johnny was bored.

"Why don't we go by Rampart and see if they could use some help?" Roy suggested, before Johnny had a chance to complain.

"Why not? There's nothing else to do. I'm not wanted at the station." Johnny sighed.

"Johnny, Cap didn't say that. He just wants distance between you and he for awhile." Roy soothed. "Johnny, have you ever tried to look at yourself through Cap's eyes? See this incident with the squad from his perspective."

Johnny closed his eyes and imagined what it would be like to be Hank Stanley when he saw the squad torn apart. He could now see why his Captain felt the way he did and why Cap wanted him out of the station.

"I don't blame Cap for being mad. It must be hell to have me under his command." Johnny mused. "What if the Chief had pulled a suprise inspection and saw the squad in pieces? Stanley's ass would've been in a sling."

"Exactly." Roy nodded, keeping his eyes on the road ahead. "You see, John, a Captain's responsibility extends way beyond ours. How Cap leads us could determine whether he makes Battalion Chief or not. That's part of the reason why we have inspections. Another reason is so the Chief can see and meet the men under him and so he can see that the station is operationally ready."

"But why the stupid hats?" Johnny asked.

"The dress hats are a part of our uniform and when we wear them, it shows that we have them and shows respect for the Chief." Roy replied. "Some Captains are very lax about
procedure and inspections keep them on their toes."

"Guess that's why Cap wanted us gone. Inspection is today." Johnny realized.

"Johnny, you did embarrass Cap last time." Roy reminded him. "Coming in with a hangover was a bad idea. You should've called in sick that day."

"I guess I did act a little unruly." Johnny admitted. "Throwing up on the Chief didn't make the greatest impression. I forgot I was working new year's.day."

"Johnny, no party is worth your job. You were lucky the Chief didn't bring you up on charges." Roy said.

"You're right, Roy." Johnny agreed. "I can't blame Cap if he brings me up on charges now. I tore up county property. The squad wasn't mine to fix."

"John, you should always think before you act. Think of the consequences before you act." Roy told him. "There's always consequences for your every action."

Johnny nodded as they pulled into Rampart.

"LA, Squad 51 available from Rampart Emergency." Johnny reported.

"10-4, squad fifty-one." Sam responded.

Roy grabbed the HT and the two Paramedics headed into the ER. Upon arrival, Dixie met them.

"Hi, Guys." Dix smiled. "What brings you here?"

"Johnny got himself in hot water with Cap." Roy smirked. "He tried to fix an oil leak on the squad, but took the squad apart instead. I told Cap I'd keep John away from him."

"Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, what are we gonna do with you?" Dix teased, shaking her blonde head. "Haven't you learned by now that you're not a handyman?"

"That's what I've heard all day!" Johnny griped. "I was only trying to help!"

"Sometimes the best way to help is not to." Dix laughed. "I'll bet Cap wants to strangle you!"

"He does!" Roy laughed.

The HT in Roy's hand beeped at this time.

Engine 51, squad 59 in place of squad 51. Man injured. 1000 Asp. 1000 Asp. Timeout: 11:03.

"Damn! Another call we should've got!" Johnny hissed.

"Cap must be holding a grudge." Roy guessed.

"Damn him! I say we go to that call!" Johnny yelled.

"Johnny-" Roy warned.

"Dammit, Roy, it's not fair!" Johnny yelled.

"Johnny, that isn't our call!" Roy yelled. "You get your butt over to that chair and sit there til you calm down!"

Johnny glared at Roy as he stomped to the waiting room.

"Roy, Johnny just wants to do his job." Dix said.

"Dix, he's acting like a child!" Roy insisted.

"Who could blame him?" Dix replied. "Calls that you guys should've gotten are being given to someone else! That's not fair! Johnny looks forward to calls and now that he doesn't get them, he's bored!"

"It's not up to me too keep him occupied!" Roy told Dix. "Johnny should be able to find something to do on his own."

"Like what, Roy?" Dixie asked. "Twiddle his thumbs?"

*

Dix sighed at seeing Johnny glaring from the lobby where he sat.

"Johnny, come here." Dix requested.

Johnny got up and made his way over to Dix, Dixie took his hand and led him into the lounge.

"John Roderick Gage, you either straighten up or I'm gonna smack your ass til it's red!" Dix hissed. "You got a problem with Cap, take it up with him!"

Johnny's eyes went wide with terror.

"You wouldn't." Johnny whispered.

"Wanna try me?" Dix challenged. "You act like a kid, I'm gonna treat you like one!"

Johnny hung his dark head.

"I'll go apologize to Roy and Cap." Johnny said.

"I'm gonna call Cap up here where you and he will have a long talk." Dix told Johnny. "You wait here while I call Stanley."

~

Hank Stanley arrived at Rampart minutes after getting Dix's call. Hank met with John in the lounge, albeit reluctantly.

"Okay, Gage, what do you want?" Hank demanded.

"I wanna talk about what happened with the squad." Johnny stated.

"There's nothing to talk about." Cap replied. "You wrecked the squad."

"Cap, I'm sorry, okay?" An annoyed John snapped.

"No you're not!" Cap told him. "You just love to piss me off, don't you? You just love embarrassing me in front of the Chief!"

"Cap!" Johnny protested.

"Yeah, I know, you forgot you were working New Year's!" Hank sneered. "Life's one big party to you!"

"Hank, I embarrassed you, I know that. I'll do anything to make it up to you!" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, you can't take back something like that!" Hank yelled. "What do you think McConnikee thinks of me now?!"

"Why should I care?" Johnny answered.

Roy stuck his head in then.

"Johnny, we have a call." Roy said.

Hank sighed with relief as Johnny left with Roy,


*

Later as they were heading back to the station, Roy turned to Johnny.

"How'd things go with you and Cap earlier?" Roy asked.

"They sucked! I can't stand to be around that SOB! It was a shouting match, Roy!" Johnny answered.

"Give it time." Roy advised. "By next week this will all boil over."

"And what if it doesn't?" Johnny worried. "I can't work with a Captain who hates me."

"Johnny, he does not hate you. He's just being stubborn and so are you." Roy told Johnny. "One of you has to back down sooner or later."

It won't be me. John thought as Roy backed the squad into the bay. Roy and Johnny heard the others eating supper in the kitchen.

"Man, am I hungry!" Johnny grinned.

"Me too." Roy agreed. "Who's turn was it to cook this shift?"

"Mike's," Johnny replied as he and Roy entered the kitchen.

"Hi," Roy smiled. "Hope you saved some for us."

"Sorry, Pal." Hank replied. "New rule in this station. If you guys aren't here when we eat, you'll get your own."

"Cap!" Johnny whined in protest.

"I'm sorry, Gage." Hank snickered. "I won't save anymore food for you or Roy."

"C'mon, Johnny." Roy said. "There's stuff for sandwiches in the fridge."

Johnny glared at Hank as Roy opened the fridge door.

"Cap, where's the sandwich stuff?" Roy asked.

"I gave it to Henry." Hank replied, matter of factly.

"YOU WHAT?!!!" Johnny roared.

"Easy, Junior." Roy stepped in. "We'll just go out and get our own food, Okay, Cap?"

"Fine with me." Hank shrugged, not looking at the two men.

Roy saw Johnny's fists clench in anger as they walked back to the squad. Johnny slammed his door as he got in. Roy just started the motor and drove out of the station. Cap then turned his attention to the rest.

"With Gage not here, we should get through this inspection unscathed." Hank grinned. "Let's get ready."

*

In the squad, Johnny fumed.

"Johnny, anger won't solve anything." Roy told the younger man.

"He doesn't want me there when the Chief comes!" Johnny fumed. "I feel like I'm being swept under the rug!"

"Johnny, remember what happened last inspection." Roy reminded him. "Cap just wants things to go right this time. He wants to impress McConnikee."

"Why does he care so much about what McConnikee thinks?" Johnny asked.

"Because, Cap's future could depend on what the Chief thinks." Roy replied. "To be promoted, Hank must show that he can run the station properly."

"I thought promotions were based on test scores." Johnny cut in.

"They are." Roy nodded. "In the case of Captain to Chief, it's also depends on how well you command your station."

"I understand." Johnny nodded. "He depends on us to make him look good."

"So, what do you want to eat?" Roy asked, hoping to take Johnny's mind off Cap.

*

At the station, the remaining crew nervously waited for the Chief to arrive. A few minutes later, he did.

"Ten hut!" Hank commanded.

"At ease!" McConnikee barked. "Stanley, why aren't your medics here?"

"Sir, I felt it best that Fireman Gage not be here when you arrived." Hank replied. "Sir, I can assure you that kind of behavior is not tolerated in this station!"

"Throwing up when ill?!" McConnikee yelled. "Hank, you idiot! Gage had the flu, not to mention an ear infection!"

"What?" A shaken Cap stammered.

"I talked to Dr. Early myself after John was examined!" The Chief stated. "There was no alcohol in Gage's blood!"

"Oh." A pale Stanley said. "I guess I owe Gage an apology."

"I agree." McConnikee boomed. "Now, let's go into your office so I can rake your tail over the coals."

"Yes, Sir." Hank replied, leading the way.

*

One hour later, squad 51 returned to the station. Both men headed straight to the dorm for some sleep. Mike Stoker greeted them as they headed toward their bunks.

"Guys," Mike yawned.

"Mike, where's Cap?" Roy asked.

"McConnikee reassigned him to HQ." Mike replied. "Hank got his ass handed to him."

"What happened?" Johnny asked. "Didn't we pass?"

"We did, but McConnikee chewed Hank out cause you guys weren't here." Mike told the medics.

"That wasn't by choice." Johnny reminded the Engineer.

"I know, Johnny." Mike soothed. "Hank did violate department regs though."

"All of a shift's staff must be present for inspection." Roy nodded. "What else happened?"

"McConnikee chewed Hank out for assuming that John was drunk last time he was here." Mike told the men.

"Mike, How could Cap have known I was sick? I wasn't exactly able to speak, much less stand up." Johnny told the quiet one.

"Still, he should've called Rampart to find out what your problem was." Mike told Johnny. "Hank was wrong to assume anything."

"So, who's gonna be our new Cap?" Chet asked.

"We're not getting a new Cap for awhile. HQ can't spare anyone." Mike replied. "The engine's stood down til further notice, Kelly, you and Lopez are dismissed."

Chet and Marco changed into civvies along with Mike.

"Gage, DeSoto, you two will be business as usual." Mike told them. "You guys will take the squad and report to station eighty-six."

"Let's go, Johnny." Roy said.

Johnny just sat, unmoving.

"Johnny?" A concerned Mike asked.

"I got Cap in real trouble this time." Johnny whispered.

"Johnny, it wasn't anything you did." Mike soothed.

"Damn it, Mike! If only I'd called in sick that day, Cap wouldn't be in trouble now!" Johnny cried. "I've got to get to HQ!"

"Johnny, we have a squad that needs to be staffed." Roy reminded the young man..

Johnny got up and went into the bay. Then, opening the squad's hood, Johnny removed the distributor cap from the engine.

"Johnny, what are you doing?!" Mike demanded.

"Mike, take the squad out of service!" Johnny hissed. "Get another squad to cover our territory!"

"Johnny, come back here!" Roy ordered as Johnny ran out of the station to his Land Rover.
"JOHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!"

Johnny ignored Roy as he sped off toward headquarters.
__________________________________

A few minutes later, Johnny arrived at Battalion headquarters. Going inside, Johnny went straight to the office of Chief McConnikee. Johnny barged into the office without knocking.

"Chief, don't punish Captain Stanley! Please!" Johnny cried. "What happened was my fault, not Hank's!"

"Whoa, Son! Slow down and start at the beginning!" Chief McConnikee said, grabbing John by his shoulders.

John sank into a chair and caught his breath.

"Breathe easy, Son." McConnikee soothed.

"Sir, punish me, not Stanley!" Johnny pleaded.

"Gage, what in the hell are you babbling about?" The Chief demanded.

"Sir, I got Cap into trouble!" Johnny cried. "If I'd called in sick that day, this wouldn't have happened!"

"John, let me tell you something. Hank Stanley assumed that you were drunk that day." McConnikee soothed.

"Chief, Cap didn't know I was sick. He's not a doctor." Johnny shot back. "With the way I was behaving that day, what was he supposed to think?"

Before the Chief could answer, Roy entered.

"Johnny, go wait for me in the squad!" Roy ordered.

"I beg your pardon, DeSoto!" McConnikee bellowed. "Fireman Gage and I are having a private conversation!"

"Sorry, Sir." Roy said, chastised. "I'll wait outside."

A humiliated Roy quickly left the office and sat down in the lobby.

"Rough night, Hon?" Joanne DeSoto asked from her desk.

"Jo, Johnny's flipped again." Roy sighed.

Joanne worked as Chief McConnikee's secretary.

"Honey, be patient." His wife soothed. "This whole thing with Hank is rough on Johnny."

"It's rough on us all!" Roy reminded his wife. "I have a right to a partner!"

At that moment, Johnny emerged from McConnikee's office and left headquarters without a word. Roy followed him outside.

"Johnny, let's get back to the station." Roy said.

"No." Johnny flatly replied. "You can call in a replacement. I'm going home to bed."

"Dammit, Johnny, I gave you an order!" Roy yelled.

"Up yours, DeSoto!" Johnny yelled, flipping Roy the bird, then walking toward his Land Rover.

Roy caught up to Johnny and grabbed him by the arm.

"Let go of me, Roy!" Johnny growled. "You're not my father!"

"Johnny, you are on duty and you will do your job!" Roy hissed.

"I said, let go of me!" Johnny growled, wriggling free of Roy.

As Johnny struggled to get free, his right fist connected with Roy's nose, knocking Roy to the ground. Johnny watched in horror as Roy slumped to the ground, unconscious.

"Roy!" Johnny sobbed. "I'm sorry, Roy! I'm sorry!"

Joanne and the Chief ran to Roy's side as Johnny ran to his truck and sped away.

_________________

Two days later, Roy lay in Rampart with a broken nose and a concussion. Dixie was checking his vitals.

"Has Johnny come to see you?" Dixie asked.

"No," Roy replied. "I don't understand why Johnny hit me. What did I do to him?"

"Honey, Johnny didn't mean to hit you. You shouldn't have grabbed him." Dix soothed. "Roy, who are you to tell Johnny what to do?"

"Dixie, I am senior medic at station fifty-one!" Roy argued. "He was on duty!"

"Roy, Johnny was upset, couldn't you see that?" Dixie asked, gently. "Johnny should not have been on duty in that state."

"Dixie, all stations must be staffed around the clock. Johnny had no right leaving the station. What if there had been a call?" Roy asked. "People depend on us to be ready to respond at all times. If Johnny can't handle that, he shouldn't be a fireman!"

"So John Gage has to be a robot when on duty?" Jo asked as she entered the room. "Honey, You have to allow both you and John to be human on duty, the guys too. Johnny blames himself for what happened to Hank!"

"I know, Hon." Roy sighed as Dixie left to tend to other patients. "It's just that when I think of all we had to do to get a Paramedic program-,"

"I know." Joanne soothed. "You feel alot of pressure because you were the first to complete Paramedic training, but you also have to remember that Johnny is Johnny, don't try to make him be your idea of a perfect partner or person. Accept Johnny Gage as is."

"He just makes it so hard though." Roy told his wife. "Jo, you have no idea what it's like to work with Johnny sometimes. Some days, it's like having a two-year old for a partner. Johnny does everything on a whim!"

"Like what?" Joanne prompted.

"Jo, there was a time where Johnny thought he could ride in rodeos just cause he grew up on a ranch!" Roy remembered. "There's that time he tried creating his own card game."

"Roy, you started that one." Jo laughed, remembering.

"I didn't think he'd actually do it!" Roy laughed with her.

"Honey, you should support Johnny's interests, whether it be music, cards, rodeos or whatever." Joanne suggested. "That's why Johnny gives things up so easily. The lack of encouragement."

"Jo, are you telling me that the guys should put up with Johnny playing bagpipes or trombone?" Roy asked. "Are you telling me that we should put up with Johnny's rodeo roundup?"

"Roy, all I'm saying is that you should be more supportive and not knock him down because he takes an interest in something." Joanne replied.

"Oh great! Let him make us all deaf with the bagpipes and trombone! Let him make a fool of himself at the rodeo!" Roy yelled. "Let Johnny have free run of the station! You forget, Joanne, that I'm the one that has to live and work with him every shift!"

"Roy, nobody said you have to be Johnny's partner! If you want free of Johnny, transfer out of 51's!" Joanne yelled back.

"Maybe I will!" Roy growled. "Anyone would make a better partner then Gage!"

*

Outside Roy's room, Johnny Gage dropped the vase he carried in his hands to the floor. A concerned Dix put a comforting hand on Johnny's shoulder.

"So, Now I know what Roy really thinks of me!" Johnny sobbed, quietly. "He tells me what big buddies we are! Some friend he is!"

"C'mon, Johnny. I'll buy you a cup of coffee." Dix said, leading John toward the break room.

Once there, Dix pulled Johnny into her arms.

"Dix, why does Roy hate me?" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, Roy does not hate you." Dix soothed. "I think that being paired with you caught him off guard. You see, you're everything that Roy never got to be. Handsome, single, can have your pick of any girl. Roy, overweight, married, family, boring and plain looking. Johnny, Roy is jealous of you."

**

At the DeSoto home, Roy sat in his favorite chair, reading. Joanne had not spoken to him during the return trip from Rampart after Roy was released.

"Jo, I was being honest!" Roy pleaded.

"Roy, you hurt Johnny beyond belief!" Jo yelled. "That's always been your problem, you want people to live up to your ideals! Never mind their needs, feelings or dreams! It's either Roy's way or the highway!"

"What's wrong with that?!" Roy yelled, nasally. "My way is usually right!"

"The gospel according to Roy Austin DeSoto!" Joanne sneered. "Roy is the universe. Roy is the sun, moon and stars! News flash, the world does not revolve around Roy!"

"Then tell me, Jo, where do I fit in?!" Roy demanded. "I'm I supposed to just hand Johnny the whole damn squad?! Am I supposed to trust a brainless redskin with people's lives?!"

Joanne's mouth fell open at her husband's use of a racial slur against Johnny.

"I can't believe you just said that!" Jo cried. "I can't believe I married a racist pig!"

"Jo!" Roy pleaded as she ran to their bedroom and slammed the door. "Joanne, I'm sorry!"

Roy got up and went to the bedroom. He softly knocked on the door.

"Joanne, please, Honey. Talk to me!" Roy sobbed. "I was wrong to use that word!"

Joanne opened the door and looked her husband square in the face.

"How could you?" Joanne quietly sobbed. "You know that I too am Indian. Roy, I'm proud of where I come from. I thought you were better then that!"

"Honey, I am!" Roy pleaded. "It was a slip of the tongue!"

"No, Roy. What you said, you said intentionally. Nothing is ever your fault." Jo told him. "You never take responsibility for anything you do or say."

"Jo, Please, let me make it up to you." Roy begged. "I'll do anything!"

"The only thing you can do is get the hell out of my sight!" Jo hissed. "Oh, and you can kiss my ass!"

Roy cried as Joanne's message sunk in.

"I know when I'm not wanted!" Roy sobbed as he walked out the front door to his house, got in his truck and drove away.


**

Two hours after kicking Roy out, Joanne sat about packing Roy's things. She had decided that Roy had shown his true colors by using that racial slur.

I can't have that kind of hatred around the kids. Joanne thought as she packed Roy's bags. Those kids are not gonna have any further contact with Roy.

Just then, there was a knock on the front door, which Joanne quickly went to answer.

"Roy, if it's you, get the hell out before I call the cops!" Joanne yelled as she opened the door. "Oh, Dixie, thank goodness it's you! Come in!"

"I take it you and Roy had a fight." Dix guessed, stepping inside the home.

"Dix, I threw him out." Joanne told the blonde. "I married a racist!"

"Jo, what happened?" Dix asked, gently.

"Dixie, that pig called Johnny a brainless redskin!" Joanne sobbed.

"I see." Dix nodded. "I think I just figured out Roy's problem with Johnny. Roy is scared of Johnny cause he's a minority."

"I'm part Indian too." Joanne told Dix.

"Did Roy know that?" Dix asked.

"No." Jo admitted. "He still had no right to say that about Johnny though."

"I agree." Dix assured her. "It doesn't tell me why you kicked Roy out."

"Dix, I've had it with him!" Joanne cried.

**

At station fifty-one, Roy lay in his bunk, crying as Johnny came in.

"You." Johnny said, flatly. "I thought you'd be at another station by now."

"Johnny, I shouldn't have said those things!" Roy sobbed.

"You're right, you shouldn't have said those things!" Johnny yelled. "Your problem is, you have no sense of other people's feelings! Other people don't exist to Roy DeSoto! Roy, I can live with the fact you don't like me, but, I will not have you saying that I'm not good at my job! Roy, you and I started as Paramedics on the same day. I have just as much training and experience as you!"

"Johnny, what can I do to make it up to you?" Roy sobbed.

"Roy, the only way I'd be satisfied is if you transferred to another station." Johnny honestly replied.

"Message received." Roy replied, softy as Johnny headed toward Cap's office.

**

Entering the office, Johnny sat down opposite Captain Robert Stowe. Captain Stowe was 6'2 with blond hair and blue eyes.

"DeSoto out there?" Stowe asked.

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied.

"Gage, I'm denying DeSoto's transfer." Cap Stowe told Johnny. "I've been hearing about the fight you two had the other night and frankly, you both are disgraces to the department and this
station! DeSoto had every right to be mad for the stunt you pulled then! You don't EVER abandon your station or your partner when on duty! When you come to work, you should be
ready to roll out with Roy at anytime!"

"Sir, I was upset and wasn't thinking clearly." Johnny defended himself.

"Gage, you knew damn well what you were doing when you disabled the squad!" Stowe roared. "Do you realize that someone could have died because there was no squad that night?! People depend on us to be fully ready when those tones sound!"

"Sir, are you gonna give me latrine duty?" Johnny asked, fearfully.

"That's too easy for you, John." Stowe smirked as Roy came in. "DeSoto, you're transfer's denied!"

"Cap!" Roy protested.

"DeSoto, starting now, you and Johnny will be on round the clock duty til Monday, without pay!" Cap Stowe informed both medics as he came around his desk to get right in their faces. "I
don't care if you two kill each other, but you will respect each other! You two will work together and do so in a manner becoming two of the best Paramedics we have, understood?!"

"Yeah, Cap." Both men replied, hanging their heads.

"You guys have to realize that for us to function, we must do so as a team or not at all." Stowe said. "I hope that while you two are here, you'll be able to resolve your differences and be friends again."

"Cap, I'm not sure that's possible." Johnny whispered.

"Make it possible." Cap Stowe insisted. "You don't have to be each other's best friends, but I ask that you at least get to a point where you can work together without fighting. Do it for your fellow firemen and for the department. The engine is out of service til Monday so you two can be alone. Til then, you two will stick to each other like a married couple, wherever one goes, the other follows, clear?"

"Yeah, Cap." Roy and Johnny replied, in unison.

"Dismissed." Cap Stowe told them.

**

On Friday morning, after the engine crew had gotten off duty. Roy and Johnny were alone in the station.

"Gage, from now on, you will go your way and I will go mine! You will sleep out in the camper from now on!" Roy told him. "You are not allowed in this station for anything!"

"Fine, living with you is torture!" Johnny agreed, getting his turnout gear off the squad and heading out back.

Once in the camper, Johnny turned on it's TV and settled in to relax.

**

Back in the station, Roy marveled at the station's quietness. He was relieved not to have Johnny there. He basked in the peace. Just as he was about to relax, the tones sounded.

"Damn!" Roy muttered.

Squad 51, man down. 1515 Dixie place. 1515 Dixie place. Timeout: 0900.

"Squad 51, 10-4-KMG-365." Roy acknowledged, then jumped in the squad's driver's seat and siren blaring, rolled out of the station. Johnny came running out of the camper to join Roy. But instead of driving by the camper, Roy just left for the scene.

"Roy, wait!" Johnny called, trying to catch up to the squad. "Roy!"

Roy smiled as Johnny got smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.

How does it feel, Johnny? Roy thought as he drove toward the scene. How does it feel to be abandoned in the line of duty?

"Son of a bitch!!!" Johnny screamed as he walked back to the camper. "I'll kill him!!!"

Once inside the camper, Johnny slammed stuff around as his anger took hold. Johnny then went back outside with a switch blade knife and slashed the tires on Roy's truck. Johnny then took a baseball bat to Roy's windshield, shattering it.

Johnny smiled as he strutted back into the camper.

**

Two hours later, Roy was back at the station. Heading into the kitchen, Roy fixed himself a glass of milk. He then went to the rec room to watch TV. A few seconds later, Johnny stormed into the apparatus bay, then into the rec room.

"How could you?!" Johnny demanded. "How could you not wait for me?!"

"Now you know how it feels!" Roy hissed. "Fireman look out for each other!"

"Dammit, DeSoto, I was upset that night!" Johnny yelled.

"I had a right to a partner!" Roy yelled. "I have a right to expect that whoever my partner is can function and not go insane with guilt!"

"Yeah, I felt guilty!" Johnny growled. "I caused Hank Stanley to lose his command! All because I came in sick! I have a right to do my job!"

"Then show me you can handle it!" Roy yelled as the tones again sounded.

Squad 51 with engine 127, structure fire. 10th and Main, 10th and Main. Timeout; 11:30.

"Squad 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Roy responded as Johnny ran to get his turnouts from the camper.

 **

By the time Johnny got back to the bay, the squad was again gone.

Okay, Roy thinks he's better off without me, so be it. Johnny thought as he changed into his street clothes and cleaned out his locker and left the station.

**

On Monday morning, Johnny turned in a request for transfer to the Chief at battalion headquarters, then went home to await the decision. Meanwhile at 51's, an angry Cap Stowe was
tearing into Roy.

"I can't understand you, DeSoto!" Stowe yelled. "I was hoping you and Johnny would've worked things out by now!"

"Sir, it's you who don't understand! I don't feel that I can trust Johnny to be there at a call!" Roy argued. "Cap, I might as well handle calls by myself with Johnny as my partner!"

"Is that why you did?!" Cap demanded.

"Exactly!" Roy shot back. "I think Gage did the right thing by requesting a transfer! Johnny is like dead weight at calls! Most of the time I spend transporting Johnny to Rampart after he gets himself hurt because he trips over his own feet!"

"Like the time he was bitten by a snake?!" Stowe hissed.

"That happened because he left the Handi-talkie behind! That just shows how devoid of any intelligence he is! He may as well be one of the Three Stooges!" Roy yelled.

"One of the Three Stooges, huh?" Johnny asked, softly from the doorway. "Roy, How could I have known that snake was there? How could I have known that drunk was going to hit me in the
nose? Roy, I'm not a psychic. I got hurt by things that were beyond my control most of the time."

"Why are you here?" Roy asked.

"I just came to say good-bye to everyone." Johnny replied. "Don't worry, Roy, I won't interfere with you again. You want an intellectual for a partner, that's fine with me."

With that, Johnny said his good-byes and left

**

"HE SAID WHAT?!" Dixie McCall yelled as she sat in her living room with Johnny twenty minutes later.

"Dix, Roy said as clumsy as I am, I may as well be one of the Three Stooges." Johnny repeated. He also said I was devoid of any intelligence."

"THAT SOB!" Dix yelled, furiously.

"I can't help but think that Roy's right." Johnny stated. "Maybe I am as stupid as he thinks I am."

END PART 16: I’m Not Mr Fixit