I NEVER LOVED MY FATHER
by StoryMorgan

 

LA County Station 51
2:13 am.

The claxon alarm sounds in station 51 brought six men to their feet instantly awake and pulling on their turnout gear.

"Station 51, bar fight with injuries, 2174 Clairmore, cross street Lamar. Time out 02:14 hrs."

"Station 51,10-4, KMG-365," replied Captain Stanley.

The squad and engine roared down the road and stopped in front of The Lamp Post Bar and Grill. Several police cars where there already. There were several men standing around outside with their hands cuffed behind their backs, with two cops standing guard. There were several more cops on the ground helping those who were injured.

Roy was the first out of the squad, as Johnny gathered their equipment. "Hi, Vince, what we got here?"

"We got four inside with injuries, those three have minor cuts and these four have bruises only." Vince moved towards the bar doors. "They didn't like one guy, and all hell broke loose."

Johnny moved up next to Roy along with Cap, Chet and Marco, as they all entered the Bar. Roy walked into the dimly lit bar, or what was left of the bar. There were broken chairs and tables, beer bottles and glass all over the floor. The first man Roy stopped to look at was bleeding from his stomach and applying pressure to the wound.

Roy looked around to see who needed attention. Johnny moved next to a man who was face down. He placed his hand to the man's neck to check for a pulse, but didn't find one. He moved to the next man. He got the same result from the second victim.

"LA Engine 51," Cap spoke into the HT.

"Engine 51," was the reply.

"We have multiple injuries, dispatch another squad and three additional ambulances to our location."

"10-4 51"

"What you got there, Johnny?" Roy asked.

"Two DOA's, Roy. I'm going to check over here," Johnny replied as he moved to the next injured man. "Okay, I got a stomach wound here." As Johnny kneeled over the next victim, a shadow moved over him. "Hey man, get out of my light," Johnny said as he turned to look up to the man standing behind him.

The first blow knocked him over, and then the man straddled him and began to pummel Johnny in the face. The man was yelling something at Johnny.

Vince moved fast and tried to pull the man off the downed paramedic.

The words the man was saying were foreign to Chet, but he moved to help his friend who was being hurt. Cap also moved to help get the man off Johnny.

Finally, Vince got the man on the floor and put the cuffs on him. The man continued to yell at Gage as Vince pulled him outside.

"Johnny, you all right?" asked Cap, as he kneeled beside John. Johnny didn't
answer.

"Hey Roy, better come take a look at Johnny too," yelled Chet.

Squad 10 arrived and was working on the other injured people. Roy moved over to Johnny. "Hey partner, you ok?" he asked.

Blood covered Gage's face and he was out cold. Roy took his vitals and called Rampart on the biophone.

"Rampart, Squad 51."

"Squad 51, go ahead." Dr. Bracket replied.

"Rampart, we have a male firefighter, age 27, he has multiple cuts and abrasions to the face, and he is unconscious. Stand by for vitals."

Roy worked on getting his BP as Cap got his respiration and pulse. "Rampart, BP is 110 over 70, pulse is 25 and respiration is 15."

"10-4 51, start IV normal saline, and transport."

"10 - 4 Rampart, normal saline and transport." Roy started the IV and packaged Johnny for transport to the hospital.

"Go on Roy, I'll have Chet bring in the squad," Cap said as he pointed to Chet.
~~~~~~~~~~

Rampart Emergency Hospital

The ambulance backed into the space outside of the emergence bay. The attendants removed the stretcher and the doctors and nurses inside could hear Roy DeSoto speaking as the group came into the building. "Johnny, you were out for the last 10 minutes, you are going to see the Doctor."

"Roy, I'm all right. I just want to go back to the station."

Nurse Dixie McCall met them as they came in. "Room three," Dixie closed her eyes in sympathy as Johnny moved past her.

Both of his eyes were swollen, there was still blood coming from his nose even with the bandages covering it, and his lips were split in several places.

Dr. Bracket met them in room three. "Roy, you didn't say it was Johnny who was hurt." Dr. Bracket looked at Johnny. "What happened?"

"Some guy jumped him on our last call. Beat him real bad before we could get the guy off of him. He was out for about 10 minutes, doc."

Roy helped from the side of the bed as Johnny was transferred to the gurney.

"I'm all right, Doc." Johnny's voice was low and strained from the pain.

"Yeah, I can see that, Johnny." Dr Bracket removed the gauze from Johnny's nose and blood flowed freely. "I think you are going to need some stitches for that and maybe a couple in your lip here." He pointed to John's lower lip.
"Do you remember what happened, why this guy would do this to you?" Brackett asked as he replaced the gauze and readied the suture tray.

"Yes, I remember what happened, and as for a reason. He never needed one before. . . just because I was still breathing was as good as any." Johnny looked away.

"You know who this guy was?" asked Roy.

"Yeah, I know him.. I had hoped I would never see him again." Johnny winced as the pain in his face was getting worse. "Hey Doc, this is really starting to hurt."

"Okay, let's get you back in one piece then, you want to stay Roy?" Brackett picked up a syringe and filled it with clear liquid. Roy nodded as he stood by the bed. "Okay, I'm going to numb your lips and nose and stitch you up and then we will get you a room for the rest of the night. I want to keep you for twenty four hours at least."

"Why is it every time I get near that man, he has to put me in the hospital?" Johnny cringed as Dr. Brackett put the Novocain into hislip. He closed his eyes. Dr. Brackett exchanged looks with Roy at the lastcomment. "I don't want to stay Doc, I just want to go home. I will take it easy till my next shift. Okay?" Johnny looked at Dr. Brackett. He really didn't want to stay overnight.

Johnny was released and told to go home, and take it easy for a few days. He could return to work on his regular schedule as long as he didn't mind looking like he did. Roy drove Johnny back to the station to pick up his Land Rover. The shift was over now. Roy was still wondering about what Johnny had said at the hospital. Once in the locker room Roy asked the question.

"Johnny, you never did answer my question at the hospital!"

"What question?" Johnny knew what Roy was talking about, but he needed a minute to come up with a story.

"You know damn well what question," Roy said angrily. "Who was that guy and why would he hit you like that?"

"Look, he is just some guy that I knew on the Rez, okay, can we just drop it? It's not important."

Johnny pulled on his civilian shirt, and tossed what was left of uniform shirt in the trash. "I'm going to head for home, my face is really starting to hurt. I'll see ya on Monday."

Johnny turned and walked out, got into his Land Rover and drove off.

Roy was not fooled with what Johnny had said, there was much more to this than met the eye. As Roy drove home, he was making plans for the next shift.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday morning arrived too soon for Johnny, he knew that Roy would want answers. He pulled into the parking lot and got out. He was not going to tell Roy anything about this, of that he was firm. None of the guys would ever know of his secret shame.

"Morning, Gage," called out Chet as he dressed.

"Yeah." Johnny was not in the mood to deal with Chet this morning.

Chet looked at the man standing behind him. His face was still bruised and swollen, though not as much. 'He must still hurt,' thought Chet. He closed his locker and went in for roll call. Roy came in just as Johnny was closing his locker.

"Morning Junior" Roy said. "How you doing this morning?"

"Oh I'm fine.. how are you?" Johnny was making small talk and he knew it.

Roy watched as Johnny left the room. "I'm fine" he called out to his friend's back.

The tension in the kitchen reached him as soon as he entered the room. He went over to get his first cup of coffee. There was nothing for them to do as the Engine and Squad were still out on a run. Captain Stanley broke the ice. "You sure you are okay John?"

"I know I must look like hell Cap, but really I'm okay." Johnny hid behind his coffee cup.

"That was a hell of a ordeal that you went through Pal. Just remember that if you need to talk, my door is always open." Stanley knew that something was wrong, he could feel it. He had made the offer, now it was up to Gage to take him up on it.

"Thanks Cap, I'll keep that in mind."

The Engine and squad were backing in as they left the office. Cap tried to broach the subject again several times and was always interrupted by the claxon sending them onto another rescue. They were very busy this day and it left very little time to talk. Around two AM the runs finally slowed down.

The crew of station 51 dragged back into the station from the last run, which had been a house fire. The structure was totally engulfed by the time they arrived. The house was a total loss but at least everyone had gotten out without any injuries.

It took several hours to overhaul the place, but now they were home again, tired and hungry. The men gathered around the kitchen table. Sandwiches would make this late night meal perfect, fast and easy.

Cap was determined to get the answers, even if he had to follow Johnny home in the morning, and that indeed that was what he had to do.

Johnny pulled into the parking lot of his apartment building and was surprised as Cap pulled in beside him. He had not even noticed that Cap was following him. Johnny exited the Land Rover and walked over to the Captain's car.

Cap got out and began to speak. "Johnny, I want to talk to you."

"Did I do something wrong, Cap?" he asked.

"No, John.. I just think there is more to this than meets the eye here. Who is that man? Roy said that you knew him and that you said he always puts you in the hospital every time you meet up with him. What the Hell is going on?"
Captain Stanley had grabbed hold of Johnny's arms.

"Cap, please don't do this. It is none of your business." Johnny was almost yelling.

"You will tell me, Gage!" The look in his eyes told him to keep up the pressure to find out what was happening.

"NO, I DON"T HAVE TO." Johnny pulled away and pushed Cap into his own car, then ran to his truck, jumped in and drove away.

Cap shook his head. He would find out, but not now.

From Johnny's apartment above the parking lot a man watched the exchange between the two men. A deep scowl etched his face. 'that damn boy is in trouble again.' he thought. 'Why can't he be good? I'll have to make him be good' He moved away from the window.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Johnny was gone for several hours, he needed time to think, How was he going to explain this to cap later? Cap was going to be mad as hell at Johnny for shoving him.'Damn, I'll be lucky if I have a job to go back too' he thought.

Returning to his apartment, all he wanted to do was go to sleep. He opened the door and stepped in.

The hand that grabbed him was large, and it slammed him into the wall.

"What the hell was that all about in the parking lot, BOY?"

"Papa," Johnny said, "I didn't do anything wrong"

The man threw him face first to the floor. The large hands now doubled into fists and rained down on him. Over and over again he was struck in the side and back.

"Papa, I'm SORRY, please..."

"Who was that man and why was he touching you?" his father yelled.

"He is .. my boss.. at work." Johnny was stuttering the words. His breathing was fast, and his eyes stung with tears.

"That gives him the right to TOUCH YOU like that?"

"I'm sorry Papa, I'm sorry." Johnny was holding back the tears.

"DON'T YOU CRY YOU LITTLE SHIT, you know I'll get the belt out if I see one tear." His father made his point by slamming Johnny's head into the floor several times.

"I won't Papa, I won't... I promise." Johnny wiped the lone tear off on the carpet.

"What did I tell you?"

Johnny heard the belt being pulled from the pants loops.

"I'm sorry Papa, I'm sorry... please don't hit me! Please."

The sound as the belt sailed threw the air was all Johnny could hear.

"Don't ever let that man touch you again, he only wants one thing and if I ever hear that you let him, I'll kill you and that son of a bitch." Each word was punctuated by the fall of the belt. Johnny heard the last word as all went black.

When Johnny awoke a while later, he was alone in the apartment. He slowly got up and went into the bathroom. Looking into the mirror, he sighed.

His lip was split open again, and he had new bruises on his face. He took off his shirt to try and look at his back. There were several welts and alot of red angry stripes. His ribs were bruised again.

Slowly the tears rolled down his cheeks.

Stripping off his pants and boxers he turned the water on. He stepped into the shower and let the water cascade over his body, taking away some of the shame. Nothing would ever erase all the shame he felt, but the water felt good on his back.

Two days later, Johnny was still sore as he dressed for work. He had changed the lock on his front door. He would have to remember to give Roy a new key.

As he drove to work he was thinking of what he was going to tell the cap. He was not going to get away with shoving Cap. He would have latrine duty till he retired.

Pulling into the parking lot he saw the Cap waiting for him. He parked and walked over to his Captain and started to talk.

"Cap, I want to apologize. I'll except whatever disciplinary action you wish to give me." Johnny kept his eyes down cast.

"That was not something that requires disciplinary action at work. But I will tell you this, if you ever do that to me at work..." Cap left the sentence hanging. "John, all I want is to help you. You are my friend, I saw that something was wrong and I wanted to help." Captain Stanley lay his hand on Johnny's back.

Johnny gasped and moved away.

"He was back wasn't he?" Cap stated. He moved his hand toward Gage's chin, he intended to lift the face to better see the damage, only to have Gage gasp move away as if he expected to be hit. "John, you do know I would never hurt you?"

"I know Cap.. I'm sorry.. Can I go now... if I don't hurry and change I'll be
late for roll call."

Cap could hear the slight stutter. He knew that Johnny stuttered only when he was really upset. "Okay, we'll talk later though."

"Yes, sir." Johnny hurried into the locker room.

Roy was still changing, he had seen the Cap talking to Johnny, and he has seen Johnny flinch when he was touched on his back. Roy still wanted answers, but now he just wanted to make sure his best friend was all right.

As Johnny took off his shirt, Roy stopped him. "Let me take a look at your back, Johnny, " he said softly.

"I'm all right, Roy." Johnny stated flatly, his eyes lowered again.

"No you're not Johnny, let me look." Roy reached over and raised Johnny's chin. "Look at me," he requested.

"I can't," was all Johnny could say.

"Yes, you can. I'm your friend and I want to help. Please" Roy raised his face again. He moved around to Johnny's back and raised his shirt.

Chet was just coming out of the bathroom and he saw Roy raising Johnny's shirt. 'Maybe I can needle him about something.' Chet thought as a smile spread across his face. The smile disappeared quickly as he took in the view before him.

Johnny's back was a mass of fresh bruises.

"My God, Johnny!" Chet swallowed hard, and ran out the door. "Cap! Cap, come quick, " he called.

Johnny jumped at the sound of Chet's voice, and turned as Chet ran out the door. "CHET!" he yelled as he pulled his shirt down. He looked at Roy and saw the blank face.

"My God, Johnny... why?" he asked, shaking his head.

Captain Stanley entered the apparatus room with Mike and Marco in tow. Chet was standing there white as a sheet.

"Cap, you have to do something for Johnny," he exclaimed.

"What are you talking about?" Cap asked.

"Cap, his whole back is black and blue. Please do something." Chet was out of breath.

"Enough, Kelly." Cap walked into the locker room. "Gage?"

"Yes sir?"

"Let me see your back."

Johnny looked at Captain Stanley and knew that he would have to show him. He slowly lifted his shirt and turned around facing Roy, lowering his eyes.

Cap refrained from gasping at the man's back. "Gage are you fit for work?" he asked.

"Yes, Cap."

"You can wear your gear without any trouble? You Sure?"

"Yes, Sir. I'm okay."

"Roy, you keep an eye on him today? If he has any trouble, I want to know about it." Cap looked at Roy as he nodded.

"You got it, Cap," Roy replied.

As Cap left the room he yelled, "Roll call in 5 minutes."

"Cap?" Chet asked.

"Drop it, Kelly. He says he is fit to work." Cap moved to the front of the group as they gathered for roll call.

Chet looked at Gage as he stepped into line. "You sure you're okay, Johnny?" Chet asked with concern in his voice.

"I'm fine Chet. Thanks." Johnny smiled for the first time that day. Chet's concern for him was touching.

"Okay, listen up." Cap gave out the assignments for the day.

It was a slow day, and Johnny was forever grateful. His back and ribs were hurting. Everyone was watching him as he finished the dinner dishes.

"Let's go get some supplies at Rampart, Junior." Roy walked out the door and got into the squad before Johnny could say a word. Johnny walked out to join his partner. As they drove away Roy asked, "You okay?"

Johnny looked over to Roy. "Yeah, I'm all right."

"Johnny, you will tell me if you're not okay?" Roy had been watching Johnny just as the others were. He was worried about his friend. He had been moving slower tonight then he was earlier in the day. He planned to have the doctor
at Rampart take a look at him.

A few minutes later they arrived at their destination. Dixie McCall was at the nurse's desk as the two walked in. "Hi Roy, Johnny." She looked at the pair.

"Hi Dix, we wanted to get some supplies." Roy said.

"Sure, you got your supply request?" She held out her hand for the sheet of paper.

"Right here." He handed her the sheet. As she looked to see what supplies where needed, Roy asked. "Hey Dix, is one of the docs available to take a look at Johnny?" Roy glanced at Johnny.

"Sure, Roy. What is wrong with Johnny?" she asked.

"Nothing" Johnny said hurriedly.

"He has some bruises on his back and side. I just thought that as long as we were here, he may as well have it looked at."

Dix noticed that Johnny was giving Roy a nasty look. "Kel?" Dixie walked over to where Dr Brackett was coming out of his office.

"Yes, Dix?" Brackett walked over to the desk.

"You got time to take a look at Johnny?" She pointed at Gage.

"Sure. What seems to be the problem, Johnny?" he asked.

"Nothing Doc, I got a few bruises and my partner is having fits about them."

"Well, let's take a look anyway." Brackett led the way into treatment room 3.

"Go ahead and take off your shirt for me." Brackett turned on the overhead lamps.

Johnny threw a look at Roy that said 'Please don't do this.'

"Come on Johnny, I don't have all night."

Johnny unbuttoned his shirt and took it and his undershirt off.

"A few bruises Johnny?" Brackett began looking at his back. "What happened?"

Johnny spoke before Roy could. "I fell down the stairs at home, Doc."

"Well, you didn't break anything at least." Brackett looked to Roy for more info. These where not the bruises that would come from a fall. Roy lowered his eyes, but said nothing.

"Like I said, Doc, I'm fine."

"Well, I wouldn't say you are fine. You have a lot of deep bruising here."

Brackett poked and prodded Johnny's back and sides. Johnny flinched several times as Brackett touched on a few sore places. "When did you fall?"

"Day before yesterday."

"Well, I think you should be home in bed, not working."

"Doc, I'm okay and want to finish my shift."

"Well, it's against my better judgment, but try not to push it if you can help it, those ribs are bruised and could easily become broken."

Brackett didn't like the idea of sending Gage back to work.

"Thanks Doc." Johnny pulled his shirts back on and almost ran from the room.

"Roy?" Brackett looked at Roy. "What the hell is going on with John?"

"I don't know Doc, but you know as well as I do that those bruises didn't come from falling down the stairs like he said."

Roy walked out the door, picking up the supplies as he went to look for Johnny.

The shift went without a single call that night. The wake up tones sounded at 7:00 am.

Breakfast was cold cereal, toast and coffee. At eight AM B shift arrived. The men changed clothes and started out for their homes.

Captain Stanley stopped Johnny. "I want to talk to you now, Johnny."

"Yes, Sir. But I don't want to talk here, please." Johnny knew that he was going to have to share in his shame today.

"All right, my apartment will work." Cap looked him in the eyes.

"Apartment?" Johnny was confused.

"I'll explain later, right now we need to talk about you. I want you to follow me home." Cap moved to his car, not waiting for Johnny to answer.

Johnny followed his boss to a small apartment complex. They parked and walked up the stairs to the 2nd floor and into Apt 24.

"Cap, I don't understand! Why do you have an apartment?" Johnny looked around the small, almost empty apartment.

Cap looked at Johnny. "My wife and I are separated, I filed for a divorce two weeks ago." Cap spoke calmly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know.. none of the guys know, do they?" Johnny was dumbfounded.

"I haven't told anyone yet." Cap shook his head.

Johnny said nothing. What could he say?

"It's okay, John. I am the one who wants out. But that's enough about me. We need to talk about what is happening to you." Captain Stanley moved Johnny to the old couch and made him sit down.

"Okay, first, I am not the Captain here! I am Hank, and that is what I want you to call me." Hank pointed his finger first at himself and then at Johnny as he spoke. Hank sat down next to Johnny. "You okay with calling me, Hank?" he asked.

Gage shrugged his shoulders. "I guess so." Johnny lowered his eyes.

"Okay. Then tell me what in the Hell is going on with you." Hank leaned in closer.

Johnny closed his eyes. "The man from the bar is my.. real father." Johnny rolled his hands together.

"WHAT?" Now it was Hank's turn to be dumfounded. He had met Bob Gage several times over the years. He knew that Johnny's only resemblance to his dad was that they were both tall and of wiry build. But it had never crossed his mind that Bob Gage was not Johnny's biological father.

"Bob Gage is my stepdad." John took a deep breath and swallowed several times before continuing. "My real father left when I was 10 years old. He took mom and me back to the Rez and then disappeared. I didn't see him again until I was 14. Damn, I'm getting ahead of myself here." Johnny shifted uncomfortably. "My real father traveled around and he made mom and me go with him most of the time. He used to get fired a lot. He would get drunk,and get into fights on the job. When they fired him he would come home and take it out on me and mom." Johnny paused and took another deep breath. "He used to hit mom when I was little and as I got older he started hitting me too. Mom tried to protect me, and I would try to protect her, but I was just too little to do much. From the time I was about 4 till I was almost 10," pause "he put me in the hospital more times than I can count."

Silent tears slid down Johnny's cheeks, and he lowered his face into his hands. "I'm so ashamed, Hank." He closed his eyes and let the tears have their run.

Hank moved closer and placed his arm around John's shoulders, pulling him to his chest and letting the man cry. "You have nothing to be ashamed of John, you were a small boy, you did what you could to protect your mom." He slowly rocked the other man in his arms.

Johnny pulled back, and Hank wiped his fingers over John's face to remove the tears. Johnny wiped his face and started to talk again.

"When I was about 9 1/2, he took us back to the Rez. He moved us into a shack on the outskirts of town. He worked for a while and then he got fired." Johnny's voice was soft and low, he was no longer in the apartment with Hank Stanley, he was back on the Rez reliving his childhood. "He came home late one afternoon. He was drunk. He started to hit mom and me again." Johnny closed his eyes. "Mom was on the ground and my father was hitting her. I was so scared. I thought she was dead.... I grabbed a poker and hit my father across the back with it." Johnny paused and took a deep shuddering breath. "He came after me. My ribs hurt so bad I could barely move. The last thing I remember was his fist coming down again. When I woke up, mom was carrying me across the field to the neighbor's house. They took me to the hospital; I don't remember anything of the ride there. I was in the hospital two weeks. My father had broken five ribs, my left arm and had given me a concussion." Johnny stopped to draw a breath.

Hank pulled him into a hug again. "You are doing fine, Johnny. I want you to tell me everything. I know you have never spoken about this to anyone and I want you to get it out of your system." Again Hank held onto Johnny tighter. "I'm right here for you to lean on."

He brushed his hand through John's hair. Johnny looked up at Hank and gave him the slightest smile. Hank lowered his lips to Johnny's forehead.

Johnny closed his eyes and leaned his head onto Hank's shoulder. Hank continued to run his fingers through John's thick hair. Johnny wrapped his arms around Hanks waist.

"When we got home my father was gone, and so was everything we owned. Over the next few weeks mom worked a few odd jobs when she could, but it wasn't enough. I went into town one day and saw a newer pick up truck by the store; there was a full basket of apples by the tailgate. I walked around and took two of them. As I turned, I ran into a big tall man. He grabbed my shirt. I tried to run, my shirt ripped off and I fell to the ground. It knocked the wind out of me. I felt the man grab my arms and pull me up. I thought he was going to start beating me, so I closed my eyes and waited."

Johnny had almost curled up onto Hanks chest.

"The man knelt down to me and asked me my name and where I lived, so I told him. He took a small sack, filled it with apples, handed it to me and told me to go home. I ran away as fast as I could. But, I did take the apples with me. We hadn't eaten in several days, and I really wanted the apples for mom and me. You could see every bone in my small body. Later that day the same truck pulled up to my house. The man got out and took out of the back, two large bags full of food. Mom met him at the door. At first she refused the food, my mom had a lot of pride," a small laugh escaped his lips as he spoke. "She still has a lot of pride. I was so hungry, I didn't care about pride, I just wanted to eat something."

Hank kissed the top of his head. He had tears in his eyes as he envisioned the small boy who John Gage had been.

"Mom told him she would not take charity from anyone. The man said that it would not be charity if she were to come to work at his house for him. They talked for several minutes and finally, she took the bags. He said he would come by in the morning to pick her up. He started to leave, and then he turned around and pulled a shirt from one of the bags. He handed it to me. He said he was sorry that he had torn mine and hoped that this one would be okay as a replacement for it. I had never had anyone say that to me before, that they were sorry. I took the shirt and thanked him and said that it would be fine. Over the next few weeks we found out that the man's name was Bob Gage and that he was a widower. His wife and son had been killed two years before by a drunk driver. He owned a large ranch on the edge of the Rez. He had a small cabin on his ranch and moved mom and me into it. It was almost a year later that he married my mom."

Johnny was slowly winding down, he was exhausted.

"He must love you very much, to give you his name." Hank continued to hold John tight.

"Things on the Rez were different. If you had small children and remarried, the children would then have the man's name as their own. There is no adoption. Just a notice in your birth record." Johnny snuggled deeper into Hank's shoulder. "My name became John Roderick Two Bears Gage. I dropped my father's name from mine when I moved into Bob Gage's home."

Johnny's face was so close; Hank had no control over what he did next. Hank moved his hand up and down gently on John's back. He slowly pulled John's face from his shoulder and lowered his lips to John's. The kiss was soft and gentle. Hank cupped John's face to deepened the kiss, his tongue asking for entrance.

Johnny opened his mouth and started to kiss him back in earnest. Johnny closed his eyes and gave in to the sensation.

Hank played his hand over Johnny's chest, feeling the nipple on the right side perk up, and sliding over to the left one he got the same response.

Pulling away for a breath, he continued to caress John's nipples and Johnny began to unbutton Hanks shirt.

"How did you know?" Johnny removed the shirt from Hank's shoulder.

"Know what?" Hank pulled Johnny's shirt off over his head.

"That I would want this." Johnny moved his hands over Hank's barechest, the light covering of gray hair sliding through his fingers.

"Well.. I wasn't really sure until today." Hank kissed him again, running his hand through John's thick hair, and breaking the kiss he looked deep into John's brown eyes.

"Face it John, you have chased a lot women since I have known you, and you have yet to catch one." Hank smiled. "But, today you let me hold and caress you, and I think you even purred a few times. I always knew you had nine lives, and now I know that you purr like a cat as well." Hank kissed him again.

Johnny moaned as Hank pinched his left nipple. "See what I mean?"

Johnny latched onto Hanks right nipple with his mouth, suckling gently. Hank began pushing Johnny off of his chest. Johnny was stunned, "Hank, did I do something wrong?" Johnny looked into Hank's eyes, he was willing to do anything, and he looked for a sign, anything to make it right again.

"No, John, you didn't do anything wrong. I want to make love to you, I want to ravish your body, but I want to do it in comfort. Let's go into the bedroom."

He stood up as he talked and pulled Johnny up into his arms, kissing him again. He walked towards the closed door.

As they entered the room, Hank touched Johnny, his hands roaming over the smooth skin. "You have the softest skin, John." He kissed him again and moved down his neck to his adams apple, causing Johnny to moan again."You like that?"

Johnny held onto Hank harder. "Yeah, I like it."

Hank steered John over to the bed and lowered him onto it. Pushing him to get into the middle, he climbed on top of him. Their jeans were straining at the crotch. Hank began kissing his way down John's chest. He stopped at the left nipple, roaming his tongue around the small nub. Gently he nipped at it, using his rough tongue to tease it erect.

Johnny ran his fingers through Hank's short hair. He pressed his hips up so that they were rubbing their cocks together through their jeans. The friction was maddening. Johnny was eager to get his hands on Hank's cock.

Hank moved lower, running his tongue into John's navel. He sucked at the slight hole that was there. Johnny pushed his belly into the eager mouth.

"Hank... please " Johnny was almost beyond words.

"Please what?" Hank pushed his hands into Johnny's tight jeans.

"Please get these damn jeans off me... Please." Johnny was breathing fast. Now that Hank had hold of his cock, he wanted to get rid of not only his own clothing but Hank's as well.

Hank pulled Johnny's jeans and boxers in one movement. He ran his hands up and down Johnny's hips and legs, amazed at the lack of hair. "Other than that thick mane on your head and what's between your legs, how come you don't have any other body hair John?" Cap looked up at Johnny to find a look of fear on his face. "Johnny, what's wrong?" Hank pulled away.

Johnny turned his head away. 'I guess that I'm not as cool with this as I thought I was,' he thought to himself. "I.. guess.. I better.. I'm.. not.." Johnny hated it when he stuttered.

"Johnny, you have done this before haven't you?" Stanley's voice rose as he talked.

"Ah.. No." Johnny's voice was so small Hank barely heard him.

"NO?" Hank sat back away from Johnny. 'Why would he do this if he didn't know what he was doing?' he thought to himself. "Why, Johnny? I thought you had experience with this. Why would you come on to me if you have never done this before?" Hank moved off the bed and started to put his boxers on.

"Cap..Hank.. wait.. you're right I don't have any experience with this, but it is not because I didn't want to do. It.. I just never found anyone I wanted to do it with.. till now!" Johnny looked at his friend and soon to be lover, he hoped. "There have only been two men I would have wanted to do this with and both where married... 'til now."

Hank looked back at Johnny, seeing the lost puppy look on his face made him move back towards the bed. "I don't understand, John. You go out with a lot of women. Is this some kind of experiment? Is that why you are doing it? Why me for gods sake? Why now?" Hank was losing his cool. He had wanted to have fast, hard, raw sex with John. Now it would have to be slow. He didn't know if he could go slowly. Although the idea was starting to grow on him, as he watched Johnny think of what to say to him.

"You were married before, and I would never have done anything to hurt you that way, it's not that I have..." he stopped, wanting to say the right thing. "I want to do this with you, I really do, I know I'm scared, but...please, will you come back to bed and show me how to make love to you?"

Hank Stanley looked at Johnny. 'He is so innocent in some ways' he thought, then leaned over the bed, kissing John slowly, "Okay, we will go slow, and we will not do anything that you don't want to." He kissed John again and removing the boxers again, crawled into bed beside him.

"We'll start with the kissing, I know you are good at that. Then I'm going to touch you, is that okay with you?"

Johnny flashed that crooked grin at him. "I can handle that."

He reached to pull Hank into another kiss. Slowly Hank moved on top of Johnny, rubbing their cocks together, kissing his neck and moving down towards his collarbone. Johnny was moaning again, his cock was fully erect, pressing hard against Hank's. The rocking motion was driving all thoughts from Hank's mind. He wanted this to be good for Johnny, but he want to cum so bad. He pushed himself harder against Johnny.

Johnny was trying so hard not to cum, he wanted this to last forever, his fantasies were never this good. He would do anything for this man.

Hank cried out as humped faster against John; he could feel the rush of his orgasm filling the space between his body and Johnny's. As the warm sperm crossed Johnny's stomach his own followed. He too cried out. Hank collapsed on top of Johnny. Hank tried to catch his breath.

He noticed that Johnny was gasping for air too. "You okay?" Hank asked.

"Oh yeah, that was wild, even my fantasies were never that good." Johnny ran his hands up and down Hank's back. Hank pulled up so that he could see John's face.

"I'm glad you liked that but it is only the beginning. We can do so much more in time, and I'm sure that you will enjoy all the rest of the stuff even more." He leaned down and kissed him.

As their bodies cooled so did the mess that was on their stomachs, and it was becoming sticky and uncomfortable.

"Come on, Lover, let's go take a shower." Hank pulled Johnny off the bed with him and moved to the bathroom.

As Johnny moved he pulled up short, and looked into Hank's eyes. "Lovers huh, I like that." Johnny smiled.

Hank pulled him on into the bathroom. Hank was facing John's back; he wrapped his arms around him and kissed the back of his neck. "You know that we will have to be careful at work. Nothing can change there. I will still call you a twit, and get on your ass about things that you do wrong. I don't want you to ever think that I don't care for you on or offduty." He talked as he nuzzled John's neck. "I think we could have the start of something good here John. I would like to see if we can make a go of it."

He turned Johnny around and kissed him on the lips gently. "You will have to make good use of your time with me, and not neglect doing stuff with the other guys, especially with Roy. They will know that something is up. And you will have to make up some dates that you have gone out on." He kissed John as he talked, and ran his finger down to the only other place which had hair on his body.

"You never did answer my question about your hair." The answer was lost as they stepped into the shower.

 

CHAPTER TWO

The next few week where a wonder for Johnny, the time he spent with Hank was great. He had learned so much from his new lover. He had learned about erotic places on his body that he had never known about before. There were places so unbelievable, so sensual that it took his breath away. It took sex to a new high for him. He never wanted this to end.

Johnny lay in his lovers' arms as they watch TV; the football game was almost off. He could feel his lovers' hand rubbing his crotch though his pants. He was getting very hard and uncomfortable in his tight jeans. He began to wiggle and worm around, pressing his cock deeper into the hand.

Hank Stanley watch his lover wiggle and move pressing his crotch into his hand. He had learned over the last few weeks that Johnny was quick to start and could last all night, 'ah to be young again' he thought. The time he was spending with Johnny was wonderful. He always knew that if given the chance Johnny could be the most considerate of lover'. He was always there to give as well as to receive. He always made sure that he was taken care of.. HE remembered back to when they first became lovers.Johnny was a virgin in more ways then one he had come to find out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Weeks Before

Hank watch as Johnny dried himself off after their shower. His hands worked the towel slowly over his body, starting at the top of his head and working their way to his chest, rubbing the skin till it almost glowed a honey brown. He followed as the hands and towel moved to his waist slowly moving in circles to dry the flat stomach; he moved on to caressing his cock and balls with the end of the towel as he lovingly dried them. Then he moved over his bare legs with the towel.

Hank swallowed hard, it was the most seductive use of a towel he had ever seen. He never realized that Johnny had such long legs before, not to mention such a graceful body.

Johnny turned to look at his lover and smiled. 'Lover' The word was foreign to him. He hated to admit it but he was not the Romeo that everyone thought he was. He was always so shy with a girl, that he tended to joke around with them so much that they didn't want to go out more then once with him. He was always a gentleman after the date; he would take them home and not even try to kiss them good night. If the truth were known, he had never had sex with a woman. He was 24 years old and still a virgin.

Looking at his lover still, he recanted that last thought, he was no longer a total virgin. He smiled, stepped closer to Hank and kissed him. It was slow and deep, he raised his hand and caressed his nipple, breaking the kiss, he moved down to his chest, and he tongued the small bud till it was raised and hard. Then moving to the other one and did the same. His lover voiced his approval with moans.

Hank took the kiss as deep as he could pushing his tongue into Johnny' mouth. The fingers lightly pinch his nipple. Johnny moaned, Hank loved the taste that was Johnny, slightly sweet but tangy as well. It was all Johnny. Running his fingers through the the mop of dark hair, he pulled him closer. Johnny let Hank pull him closer, he let his tongue wonder the inside of Hank's mouth. He too was running his fingers through Hank's graying hair, it was so soft and the musk smell of Hank was intoxicating.

Hank worked his hands down to the towel and let it drop to the floor. Following his hands Hank lowered himself down till he was looking right the hard cock. There was a drop of pre-cum on the tip; he liked it off with just the barest touch of his tongue.

Johnny watched as Hank dropped to his knees. He felt the tip of the tongue takes the pre-com from his cock, it was a wonderful feeling. He pushed his hips forward, trying to get Hank to take all of his cock into his mouth.

Hank looked up into Johnny's eyes; He opened his mouth and tried to swallow him whole. He let his hand grad the sac below the cock; he pulled on it and rolled the balls inside. He let one finger slide around to the small opening. He ran the finger around the outside but didn't try to penetrate him. Johnny tighten his ass as if afraid. He knew that that would come in time, he could wait.

Johnny felt the finger graze the outside of his asshole. He tightened up his muscles in his butt. He wanted this, but he was also afraid.

Hank pulled off of Johnny's cock. He had withdrawn the finger; he didn't want to frighten Johnny. " Its okay Johnny" He kissed the tip again and felt the shudder go through Johnny's body.

"I'm sorry Hank." Johnny spoke softly, his cock wilting a little.

Hank moved his hand and surrounded the failing cock; he began to gently pump it. "Nothing to be sorry about lover. We have the time to get you comfortable with the idea." Hank let his hands do the work of relaxing Johnny. He massaged the sac and balls as well as the cock. He heard Johnny moan as the cock began to swell again. Hank began to suck on the cock again

Johnny shoved his hips forward again as the warm, wet heat that had engulfed his dick was back. It didn't take long for the sucking mouth to make him cum.

Hank let the cock pump into his mouth; he swirled his tongue over and under it. He sucked hard and then backed off to the tip. Taking a deep breath he relaxed the muscles in his throat and dove back down to the root, squeezing the sac, he felt the balls contract and then tasted the warm bitter fluid as it went down his throat.

Johnny watched as his limp cock fell out of Hank's hot mouth. His knees where weak as he tried to stand still. He pulled Hank up off of the floor and kissed him soundly. He could taste his own sperm in his mouth. He had tasted it before and knew that he would have no trouble in doing this act on Hank. He let himself sink to the floor before Hank.

Hank watched as Johnny went down to the floor; he stepped closer so that his cock was right in Johnny's face.

Johnny let the cock bob in his face for a minute. He leaned forward and let it rub against his check; he let his tongue lick at it. It was a strange texture, it had veins bulging out all over and he let his tongue run the length of each vain. His own cock had the veins as well but he never able to lick at them.

Hank felt the smooth tongue as it licked at the veins on his dick. He was so close to cumming that he had to push Johnny away for a minute.

" Did I do it wrong Hank?" Johnny looked up.

"No Johnny, I just don't want to cum yet." Hank smoothed the hair back from Johnny's forehead.

Johnny lowered his head thankful that he had not done anything wrong.

Hank took a couple of deep breaths. "I want you to fuck me, Johnny," Hank said the works slowly and softly. Johnny snapped his head up. "Cap.. I .." words failed him for once.

"It's ok.. I want this." Hank reached his hands out. Inviting Johnny to stand up.

"I don't know what.. How.. I .." Johnny stuttered.

"Don't worry, I'll tell you what to do and how" Hank pulled him close and kissed him.

"I'm afraid I'll hurt you" Johnny pulled away.

"You won't hurt me as long as you do as I tell you." Hank led Johnny over to the bed.

 

CHAPTER THREE

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Previously: Johnny has told Hank of his abusive Father, Hank and Johnny has become lovers and now

~~*~~

Johnny let Hank led him to the bed and allowed him to slid him onto the bed. Johnny had never felt this loved by anyone his whole life. He could see the love this man had for him gleaming in his eyes. He could feel the love in his touch. Johnny closed his eyes as he thought. 'I am the luckiest man alive' the corners of his mouth pulled into a smile.

Hank lowered Johnny onto the bed and pushed him into the middle of it. He slowly let his eyes wonder over the young mans body. He looked at him with all the love he felt for Johnny. He used his fingers to glide over the smooth skin.

Hank lowered his body to fully cover Johnny's; he used his hips to rub their cocks together. He loved the feel of Johnny, the taunt lean muscles of his stomach, his tight slender ass. Hank kissed Johnny, letting his tongue run over his soft lips, then dipping inside the hot mouth.

Johnny deepened the kiss, he wrapped his arms around Hank's neck, and his let his hips move with Hank's.

Outside of Hank Stanley's apartment stood a very angry man; he paced back and forth in front of the Land Rover. He watched the second floor window. He knew what that man wanted from his son, and he was going to stop him. Even if he had to kill him. He took the steps two at a time

He walked over to the apartment door and waited to see if any noise could be heard. He knew they where in there. HE pulled his food back and kicked the door inward.

Hank heard the front door to his apartment slam open; he stood and looked at Johnny. He started towards the front room, Johnny was right behind him. He was pulling on his pants as he went.

The man took one look at Hank, he had no shirt on and his pants where not buttoned, the pipe in his hand was swinging towards Hank's head. The anger in his mind was all that there was. The pipe made a thud noise as it connected.

Hank saw the man and the pipe in his hand, but before he could say a word his world exploded in pain, he felt his body going down as his world went black

Johnny watched in horror as his father swung the lead pipe at Hank, he watched as the pipe connected with the side of Hank head and Hank fell to the floor, blood covering his face. "PAPA! NO!" Johnny moved to stand between Hank and his father.

"You little shit" the man dropped the pipe and raised his fist. He hit Johnny in the chest. That was to be the first of many.

Johnny gasped as the breath was taken away from him, and the searing pain ran across his chest. Johnny went to his knees; another blow across his back took him to the floor. He closed his eyes as a hand turned him over.

"What did I say I would do if you let that son of a bitch touch you?" Roderick Gage slapped Johnny across the face.

Johnny lay stunned; he was barely able to get a breath of air before his father hit him again. "Papa. please don't." Johnny lay on his back, his voice was covered with pain.

"What did I tell you?" Roderick hit Johnny in the face again.

Johnny folded again; his breath coming in short gasps. "Please Papa. don't hurt Hank. it was all me. I did.. it. I made. him." Johnny tried to get closer to Hank as he spoke; he wanted to cover Hank with his body to keep his father from killing him.

Roderick grabbed Johnny by the arm and twisted it back pulling Johnny down onto his aching chest; he grabbed a hand full of hair, and shoved his face into the floor, hitting his nose and forehead hard. Blood rushed out as Johnny pleaded with his father.

"I'm sorry Papa.please don't hurt me." Johnny cried out as his face impacted the floor hard.

"This all could have been avoided Johnny. All you had to do was come with me willingly." Roderick released the arm and let it hit the floor.

Johnny lay where he was, he was afraid to move for fear that he would set his father off again. He took the risk of speaking. " Papa.I'll go with you now.. Let's just go. okay Papa?" Johnny could see that Hank had not moved since he was hit. He didn't know if he was alive or dead. The tears started to flow.

Roderick watched as Johnny lay still, his voice was very calm as he spoke. "It's too late Johnny, he needs to die for what he did to you." Roderick pulled the small gun from his waistband.

" Papa, please.. Don't. I'll go with you.please! Just leave him. someone will hear... the gunshot" Johnny could see the gun in his father's hand, he was so scared that he would shoot Hank. Johnny closed his eyes and he waited for the sound of the gunshot. He knew that his father would have no trouble killing Hank.

Roderick looked back down at Johnny, he could see the tears coursing down his cheek. Johnny knew not to cry. It only pissed him off more. He moved back to stand above Johnny. "You want me to give you something to cry about Johnny?"

"No Papa. please can we. just leave." Johnny wiped his tears way and tried to stand, he was knocked back down to the floor, as his father slapped the back of his head hard.

"You telling me what to do, you little shit?" Roderick kneeled down over Johnny. He slapped the back of Johnny's head as hard as he could.

"No Papa. Please." Johnny tried to keep the tears from running down his face. He knew what he would get it his father saw them.

"Get up." The sound of Roderick' voice gave Johnny the motive to get up. He stood before his father; blood was still flowing from his nose. He looked at him with the hope that his father would leave and not shoot Hank.

"I want you to go get in the truck Johnny. I'll be right down." Roderick looked down at Hank.

Johnny knew that he would pay later for not going to the truck, but he could not let Hank die because of him. "Papa, please. I said I would go with you. What more do you want?" Johnny took a step back as he father reached out to him.

"I want this son of a bitch dead, that is what I want." Roderick yelled.

Johnny spoke softly back at him. "He's already dead, Papa." A tear slipped down his check.

Roderick looked down at Hank again then back up to Johnny's face. He saw the tear. He shoved Johnny out the door and closed it behind them.

 

CHAPTER FOUR

Johnny gave a silent prayer to the sprits that Hank was still alive and that someone would find him soon. He knew what his father was going to do to him and he was not looking forward to it. He knew that Papa was going to take his hide off for being with Hank and he would probably end up with a few ribs broke for back talking him. They had been traveling for several hours now. His father had made him ride on the floor boards of the old truck, Papa's beer and Whiskey had the honor of sitting on the seat next to him, he had drank his booze and reached out to slapped and hit him for the first hour as they drove. He had yelled at him and told him that he was no son of his. Johnny had only wished he were right about that. He wondered where they where going as they left the City of Los Angles behind them.

Hank moaned as he started to regain consciousness, his head felt as if it were going to fall off. He tried moving his arms and legs to see if he was still in one piece. Everything was still working except for his head. He could not see very well, it was all dark and gloomy looking. He would rest on the floor for a few minutes more then get up. that was the last thought he had as the world went black again.

Johnny watched as the old cabin came into view, he had not been here in years. This was one of the places that he had lived as a child when his father was dragging him mom and him around. He had told Roy about this place a long time ago, he had said that here was some of the best fishing around. Roy had asked why he never took him there, all Johnny had said was it held a lot of bad memories for his family as well, and Roy had let the subject drop.

If this was where they would be staying then maybe, Roy would remember about it and the guys would come for him. That was all the hope he had.

The old truck rattled to a stop in front of the cabin. Johnny knew this is where it would start. He wanted to stand up to his father but be was too afraid. If giving his life was what it took to save Hank then so be it. He waited in the truck as he father got out and walked around to his door, it was pulled open and he was roughly thrown out onto the ground. All Johnny could do was curl up and cover his head as best he could for the beating to come. And come it did.

Roderick Two Bears would not have a son who took to another man. He would beat that notion right out of him, and then he would make sure that it never happened again. He looked at his son who lay on the ground curled up, his anger was renewed and he pulled back his foot and kicked him again and again. He pulled his belt off and used that as well.

Johnny tried to protect himself as best he could, he was curled as tight as he could be, and his arms covered his head. The kicks hurt as much as he remembered them from years ago. But the belt hurt so much more then he remembered. The tears came and then at last the dark.

Roy walked into the station the next morning with a smile on his face. Johnny was coming back to work today and no more Brice. He hated it when Johnny would take time off and make him work with Brice. As he stood beside his locker he began to get dress. As the captain from C shift walked in, he looked up and stopped what he was doing.

"Morning Desoto! You didn't happen to see Hank on your days off did you? I called his house but there is no answer." Captain James was starting to get worried. It was not like Hank Stanley to be late for work.

"No Cap, I haven't seen him. Come to think of it I wonder where Johnny is." Roy looked at his watch; it was two minutes till time to start their shift.

Captain James looked at the frown that had come over Roy Desoto's face. "I'll give them a few more minutes, then I will have to call it in." As he turned and walked to the locker room door, he called over his shoulder. " Desoto, if something has happened to them I'm going to call in and request that the station be stood down for this shift until they get replacements for all of you."

"Thanks Cap. I hope they are just running late." Roy was now starting to worry as well. He closed his locker and walked into the kitchen for some coffee and to wait.

Johnny woke to the light coming in through the broken window. His whole body hurt, he was thirsty and in need of using the bathroom. He carefully shifted over onto his back. The pain was unbelievable. He lay there with his eyes closed, as he tried to slow his breathing down and get the pain under control.

Roderick walked back to the cabin and opened the door. He could see that his son was awake. He had rolled over onto his back and he was breathing hard. He walked over and stood above him.

"Get Up" his voice was harsh. He reached down and pulled Johnny up by his arm.

"No Papa. Please." Johnny let his voice carry his pain. As he rose to stand on unsteady legs.

"Outside" his father shoved him towards the door.

Johnny stumbled and fell to the floor. His father kicked him in the ass and yelled at him to get up again. Johnny crawled out the door and rolled down the steps to land on the ground.

Roderick was loosing his patience again with that boy. He wanted him to do as he was told when he was told to do it. He had been to the store to pick up the things he would need to clean Johnny with.

Johnny jumped as the cold water hit his bare skin; he had only his pants on and nothing else when his father had taken him from Hanks' apartment. He shivered and realized that his father had taken his pants at some point Roderick threw the water onto Johnny, he stepped down and using the brush and lye soap he began to scrub Johnny from head to toe. He would clean the other man from his skin as well as his mind.

*********

Twenty-five minutes had passed and still no word from Captain Stanley or Johnny Gage. Captain James had already called in and the department had stood down the crew of station 51 till further notice. Captain James was making calls to all the hospitals; he still needed to notify the police as well. All the men stood around looking at each other. Thinking of all the bad things that could have happened to their friends.

Roy stood up and started for the back door. He couldn't wait any longer.

"Where you going Roy" Chet Kelly jumped up and walked to stand next to his friend.

"I can't just stay here doing nothing. I am going over to Hanks house." Roy went out the door followed by Chet, Marco and Mike. Captain James walked into an empty room a few minutes later.

The drive to Hanks house was done in silence. The men exited the car almost before it came to a full stop in front of their Captains home.

Roy rang the doorbell again. He wanted answers to questions he was afraid to ask. The door opened and Jean Stanley looked at all the men from Hanks shift.

" Oh God. What's happened to Hank." Jean brought her hand to mouth. The faces of the crewmen were grim, so something bad had happened she knew.

Roy stepped forward and touched her hand "Jean, we where hoping you could tell us. Hank didn't show up for work this morning and neither did Johnny."

Jean looked back and forth between the men. It dawned on her that they didn't know that she and Hank where divorced. "Roy, Hank doesn't live here. We got a divorce. You didn't know?"

Roy looked at Jean Stanley. The words stunned him "He never said a word."

"He lives over at the Tower Apartments over on Delaware number 24. Let me know what happens okay Roy. I still love Hank very much." Jean watched as the three men drove away. She went back inside and closed the door.

Roy stopped the car at the Tower Apartments; he parked next to Hanks car. The three men ran up the steps and entered the front lobby. Taking the steps two at a time to the second floor. They ran down to number 24. Roy had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. He knocked on the door. There was no answer

Mike offered to go get the manager, but Roy felt the need to get inside as quickly as possible. He kicked the door in. They found Hanks Stanley laying in a pool of blood.

 

CHAPTER FIVE

Roy entered the room with care, not knowing if the attacker was still there. Seeing that no one was in the room, Roy ran to Hank's side. He checked for a pulse. It was there, but very weak. " Call for a squad." He yelled at no one in particular

Mike was already going for the phone before the words where finished. "Chet get me a towel, I need to stop this bleeding fast. He has already lost a lot of blood." Roy checked his vitals again. He was venting good and his pulse was steady but weak.

Mike looked out the window as he heard the sirens come. He had told dispatch to notify Captain James that Captain Stanley had been found alive, but was injured.

**********

Roderick used the lye soap to suds Johnny's body, the blood and water mixed into the gravel where he laid. He then used the brush to scrub the other mans touches from Johnny's body as well. He hit Johnny with the his fist several times in the mouth and nose as he tried to pull away, causing more blood to join in with the water and mud. He scrub his head and back till Johnny had blood running down onto the ground.

"You will not let a man touch you ever again. Do I make my self clear Johnny?" He spit and slurred the words at Johnny. Roderick let him go to get some more water.

Johnny kneeled on the ground as his father used the soap and brush to scrub his body; he could feel the blood running down his face and back. "Never again Papa.. I promise." His father was no longer holding him up, so Johnny slumped to the ground. He was covered in blood; the gravel under him stuck to his bruised body. The cold water hit him again and he began to shiver.

Roderick dumped the bucket of water over Johnny, pouring it down his body. Picking up the brush and soap Roderick started on the lower half of his body.

***********

Roy watched as the Paramedics from station 18's loaded Hank into the ambulance. Within a few minutes of establishing an IV Hank had woke up and told Roy about Johnny's father.

The police where at Hank's apartment, they where looking for any evidence, something that would tell them where Roderick Two Bears would have taken Johnny.

Vince walked up beside Roy. " Hank going to be alright?" " I hope they find something in there cause if they don't then it will be almost impossible to find Johnny or his father." Vince had pointed at the apartment as he talked.

Roy looked back at Vince, " Let me know if they find anything, I'm going to the hospital to be with Hank." When Roy finished he walked to his car, Mike, Marco and Chet were already there, and they all got in and drove to the hospital

*************

Roderick scrub the bottoms of Johnny's feet till they where bright red. He had to slap then several times with the brush when Johnny tried to pull away. He pulled hard on the ankle and dragged Johnny over to the edge of the porch.

Johnny was so cold his teeth where chattering. He tried to pull his foot away from his father's hold on it; he was rewarded with several swats to it. The water made it sting more. His father yanked on his ankle and dragged him across the ground to the porch.

"Get on the porch and stand there." Reaching down to grab Johnny by the arm, Roderick slapped Johnny across the face to emphasize his words.

Johnny dragged himself up the steps, he had to hold onto the rail to get to his feet, they really hurt from being hit and scrub. His whole body new nothing but pain.

Roderick filled the bucket one last time; he walked up to Johnny dumped it over his head.

Johnny let out a yelp as the cold water hit him again. He lost his balance and fell onto his ass on the porch

Roderick's fist reached out and punched Johnny in the mouth. " I said to stand there, not sit down. Did you get stupider as you got older Johnny? Or are you just heard of hearing?"

Blood ran from the cut lip as Johnny tried to stand up. He was shaking so bad that he could only make it part of the way before falling back down onto his knees. " Sorry. Papa." Johnny waited for the next blows to come.

Roderick walked back into the cabin; he returned a minute later with a large rag. He tossed it to Johnny "Get dried off and come inside."

Johnny let the old smelly rag cover his head and shoulders for a few minutes. He closed his eyes and let the tears run down his face. He took a minute to get his breathing under control and tried to take the rag and dry himself off. He was still so cold.

********

Roy waited outside of exam room 4, he was pacing back in forth, he watched as Marco and Chet paced as well. Mike just leaned against the far wall and watched the door.

Dr Brackett opened the door to find the crew of station 51 waiting for him. Brackett smiled and walked to the doctors' lounge.

Roy, Mike, Marco and Chet followed Dr. Brackett into the lounge. Roy could not hold out any longer, " How is he Doc?"

"Hank is going to be fine. He had a concussion, a deep gash on his forehead, and lots some blood, but he will be fine. I want to keep him over night. He is awake and asking about Johnny. Was Johnny injured too?" Brackett took a drink of the coffee that he had poured while he was telling the guys about Hank.

Roy looked down for a minute before he spoke. "We don't know about Johnny. His father took him, he left Hank to die in his apartment." Roy rubbed his hand over his face and head. "Can we see Hank for a minute?"

Brackett stopped at the words Roy was telling him. He knew what kind of damage Johnny's father was capable of doing to him. He could see that the men who stood before him were worried about Hank and Johnny both. At least he could let them see that Hank was save and sound.

 

CHAPTER SIX

Hank slowly opened his eyes to see Roy, Chet, Marco and Mike standing by his bedside. His head was pounding behind his eyes.

"Johnny?" The one word said so much.

Roy looked at his friend and Captain. His head was wrapped in gauze and both eyes where blackened. "We haven't found him yet."

"Oh. Johnny. His father. will kill.him." His voice was horse, and filled with emotion.

"I'm sure we'll find him soon, Cap." Roy placed his hand of Hank's shoulder.

"I hope so. I don't want . to find out. what it would. be like. without him.around." Hank closed his eyes at that thought.

**********

Johnny was still cold and damp as he limped his way into the cabin. He glanced around; his father was no where in site. The back door was open and the wind blowing in was cold on his bare skin. He had the large rag wrapped around his waist. He sat down on the old chair at the table. He looked around for his pants. Johnny looked up from where he sat to see his father enter carrying a coil of rope. His breathing grew faster, his eyes grew wide, and Johnny swallowed hard. He did not speak for fear of what would happen.

Roderick walk over to a bucket of water and dropped the rope into it. He glanced over to Johnny, every time he looked at him his anger would return renewed. He took the bottle of whiskey and took several gulps in a row. He pulled the rope from the water and walked over to Johnny.

"Stand up." Roderick's words were slurred as he spoke.

"Papa!" Johnny only said the one word as his father backhanded him across his face. He fell off the chair and onto the floor.

Roderick backed handed Johnny as hard as he could. "I didn't tell you to talk! I said Stand up." Roderick took the end of the rope and began hitting Johnny on his back and legs.

Johnny cried out as the wet rope stung and cut into his back and legs. "Papa, Please. I'm sorry. Don't hurt me." He tired to cover his head and face with his arms and to curl up into as small as target as he could.

********

Officer Vince Howard had put out an all points bulletin for the old truck and descriptions of both Johnny and his father. They had caught a break, a DPS officer just outside of LA had remembered seeing the truck. It was headed up into the Granada Hills area.

Vince made one last call before heading out. That call was to Rampart Hospital. He knew that is where Roy would be.

*********

The phone was ringing in Hank's ear it seemed. He was sound asleep when it started. Now he groped for it at the side of his bed. His head was still throbbing. He would do anything to get it to stop ringing.

"Hello" the sleepy voice droned into the phone.

"Hank, sorry to wake you. This is Vince, I think we have a lead on where Johnny and his father might be headed. I wanted to tell Roy, but I guess he isn't there is he!" Vince didn't want to have to chase down Roy Desoto, but if he weren't at the hospital, where would he be? "Well, we think he maybe headed up to the Granada Hills area." Vince gave the information freely to Hank. "Could you tell Roy that I'm headed up that way to start searching the area."

"Yes I will tell him. Thanks Vince." Hank hung the phone up and finished getting dress. He pauses for a moment as a wave of dizziness washed over him. He picked up the phone and dialed Roy's home phone number.

Roy answered the phone; he had not been able to sleep worrying about Johnny and Hank. "Hello."

"Roy? This is Hank, They think they know where Johnny maybe, I want head up that way, can you come and get me?" Hank's voice was full of emotion.

"Where do they think he is Hank and I will head out to help look for him." The news was exciting. Roy was making plans to call the rest of the guys and let them know.

"I'm not going to tell you unless you agree to come pick me up. I am dressed and ready to go, so get over here." Hank knew that Roy would not want him to go. He had to force Roy to come and get him before he would tell Roy where they where going to go look for Johnny. "Hank I don't think you should go with us." Roy knew it would do no good to argue with Hank but he felt he had to try and keep him from going.

"Either you come and get me, or I will go alone." Hank was determined to go. He had to find Johnny.

Roy finally gave in and told Hank he would pick him up in twenty minutes.Roy then called Mike, Marco and Chet. They would all meet at the hospital.

Johnny woke to the worst pain he had ever felt. His hands where tied behind his back and his feet where also tied. His back and legs burned from the beating his father had given him with the rope. He lay on his side in the middle of the room. He could hear his father snoring softly behind him somewhere. Even with the old rag tossed over him, he was still so cold. His eyes slowly closed, he welcomed the darkness.

 

Part 7

Hank had to fight his way out of Rampart General Hospital; Dr Brackett did not want him to leave, he still had a concussion and was still dizzy at times. Signing himself out against Brackett's orders, he hoped to find Johnny before it was too late.

Hank waited outside the hospital for Roy, He was so worried about Johnny, and he could not stand still and was pacing back and forth rubbing his hands together.

Roy pulled up, stopping beside Hank, who took a step back when he saw Johnny's Rover. He wanted to see Johnny get out of it, not Roy. Hank took a deep breath; he opened the door and climbed in. Roy had already called the police department and was told the search was being held in the Granada Hills area. Roy had a set of keys to Johnny's Rover, as well as to his house, he had to stop by Hank's apartment and get the four-wheel drive.

"Let's go!" Hank looked at Roy as he spoke.

"We have to wait for Mike, Marco and Chet. They should be here any minute." Roy wondered how he should ask the question he needed to ask his friend and Captain "Hank, I need to ask you something before the guys get here." Roy turned to look at Hank. There was no other way to ask this but to come straight out with it. " Do you and Johnny have more of a relationship then just a professional one?"

Hank would not lie. He loved Johnny more then anything else in his life. He looked Roy right in the eyes "Yes Roy, Johnny and I are lovers."

Rubbing a hand over his face. "Who started it?" Roy needed to ask. He had to know if Johnny was in the relationship on his own or if Hank had forced him.

Watching Roy's reaction, Hank answered "I'm sorry if that bothers you Roy. But I want you to know that I love Johnny, and I hope that Johnny loves me." Hank became quiet for a minute. " I have to find him Roy. Please help me." Hank fought hard to keep the tears from falling. " I was the one who started it. You can hate me if you want, but please don't let Johnny die." The tear did run down his face.

Roy listened to Hank plead for Johnny sake. He cleared his throat. " I don't hate you or Johnny. It is just a little hard to…" Roy stopped, he was not sure just what he was feeling. "Here comes Chet." he motioned his head in the direction of the parking lot

'We can talk about this later okay?" Roy was grateful for the time to let his mind take in what Hank had told him.

Hank closed his eyes for a minute and wiped the tears away. He didn't want to talk about this with Chet. He nodded his head at Roy.

Chet opened the door; Hank climbed out to let him into the back seat. Before Hank could get back in Mike and Marco pulled up in Mike's four by four.

" Where are we going?" Mike asked Hank. Roy had told him that Hank would not tell them where they where headed till Roy picked him up.

Hank told the guys that a DPS officer had seen Roderick's truck headed up into the Granada Hills area. This is where they would start to look.

The drive up into the hill was made in silence. It took almost an hour to get to the foothill. Roy had been trying to remember what Johnny had told him about this area. "I think that Johnny told me that when he was a kid that they stayed up here in a cabin. Damn I just don't remember where he said the cabin was." Roy hit the steering wheel with his hand. "Why didn't I listen to him? Why didn't I pay attention to where he said it was?" Roy was racking his brain for the information, he was so mad at himself.

Hank looked over at Roy. "Take it easy Roy, the harder you try the longer it may take you to remember. Just let it come to you." Hank placed his hand on Roy's shoulder.

"Yeah Roy, Hey I have a map here would it help if I read off some names of roads?" Chet really was trying to be helpful. He remembered what Johnny's dad had done to Johnny in only a few minutes. It had been two days, and Chet was really worried about what might have been done to Johnny.

"Ok Chet, but read off some of the creek names I know that he told me the name of the creek. Maybe if I hear the names I will remember" Roy watched the road as it wound its way up farther into the mountains.

Chet began naming the creek names as they drove. He had read about eight names when Roy suddenly stopped the Rover "What was the last name you read off?"

Chet looked back at the map. "Chino Creek?"

"That's it." Roy turned around and grabbed the map from Chet. Roy studied the map for a few minutes. Chet leaned over the front seat: he pointed to the area on the map that had the creek on it. There was a road several miles up that would take them to Chino Creek.

Mike seeing that the Rover had stopped. He got out of his truck followed by Marco. Mike walked up to the drivers' door and opened it. "What's going on?"

Roy jumped as the door opened. He swallowed hard and showed Mike the map. "This is where we are headed. I remembered that Johnny said that his family use to stay in a cabin by Chino Creek."

Mike looked at the map. " I have a CB radio in my truck I'll call for the police and let them know the area to look in." Mike walked back to his truck and picked up the mic.

Marco climbed back into Mike's truck and sighed. "Do you think that we will find Johnny alive?" Marco was not too hopeful. He needed someone to tell him it wold all work out okay.

" We can only hope and pray that we do." was all Mike could say.
*****

Johnny opened his eyes. He was no longer cold, now he was just numb. His mind was slowly shutting down along with his body. He had to fight to keep his eyes open now. He was still lying on the floor of the cabin. He could not hear any sounds at all. He let his eyes close.

Roderick watched with bloodshot eyes as the sun rose. His hangover was pounding in his head. He took several deep breaths. Today they would leave and head for Montana. Johnny was cleansed and it was time to move on. He rose from the ground and walked back to the cabin. It was time to get Johnny up and ready to travel.
******

Roy stopped the truck when he saw Vince standing beside his personal vehicle on the side of the road. Vince had heard Mike's call and was waiting for the crew from 51's to arrive at the turn off.

All the men shook Vince's hand and stretched their legs. Vince explained to them that the rest of the search teams would arrive shortly, and that they should wait here.

"I don't want to wait!" Hank was having trouble with the waiting. He was so close and yet so far away from finding Johnny. He needed to find Johnny now. Before it was too late.

Vince stood next to Hank. "I know you want to find Johnny, but if we rush in there someone could get hurt and we don't want that." Vince knew that if they found Johnny alive at all it would be a miracle.

"I know Vince. It's just… I can't explain it Vince. I think we need to get there now, If we don't… I'm afraid that we will not find Johnny alive…. He's going to die Vince… I can feel it." Hank turned away as the tears threaten to fall.

Vince took a moment to think of the consequences. Johnny was his friend and if Hank said that he might be dying now, then to hell with the consequences. "Ok lets go."

The cabin came into view a few minutes later. Roderick's truck was parked in front of it. They did not see Roderick or Johnny anywhere.

 

part 8

Roderick entered the cabin to find Johnny still lying on the floor. He was no longer tied and Roderick had expected Johnny to be up and moving around the cabin when he returned.

"Get up Johnny," Roderick toed Johnny over onto his back. The black and blue body that he moved meant nothing to him. He wanted to get going. "I said GET UP!" and he kicked him in the hip.

Johnny groaned as the pain flared through hid lip and leg. He tried to open his eyes. He could hear his father yelling but he was not able to understand what was being said.

Roderick reached down and pulled Johnny up by his hair. Getting him into a sitting position, he slapped his face. "GET UP damn you"

Forcing his eyes open, Johnny glanced around. He was on the cabin's floor with his father towering over him. He didn't see the next blow. His head snapped back

"Are you listening to me BOY?" His father's voice penetrated his mind slowly.

"Yes… Papa." Johnny let the blood flow from his nose and mouth. His body moved slow as he tried to rise. The welts on his back and legs hurt, he was stiff and sore everywhere.

"Good. Then get up, we're leaving." Roderick smiled. It was good to have his son back with him again. He did not see the bruised and battered body. He only saw Johnny as his nine-year-old son. In his mind his son loved him beyond all else. Roderick was a happy man as he walked out of the cabin to get his bottle of whiskey from the truck.
*****

Roy, Vince and Hank were making their way slowly up towards the cabin from the woods on the left. Chet and Mike were doing the same on the right.

As they got closer to the cabin they saw Roderick open the door and walk out.

Vince drew his gun and stepped out where he could be seen. " POLICE FREEZE!" he yelled.

Roderick heard the cop yell his mind kicked into gear and he turned and ran back into the cabin. "I'll never let you take him." he screamed as he shut the door.

Vince moved back behind a tree. He watched as Roderick run back into the cabin. Now he had a hostage situation.

Roderick was so mad; they had found them to fast. Now he would have to kill them all. He pulled the small gun from his pants and pointed it at Johnny. "I will not let them take you Johnny, I will kill you and myself if I have to."

Johnny was slowly getting his mind to work as he heard the shouting outside. He watched as his father came running into the cabin. His father pulled the small gun from his pants and pointed it at him.

Roderick walked to the window and looked outside. He could see one cop behind a tree. He could see two more off to the left of the cabin and two to the right. 'They're going to surround me' he thought. He took aim and shot at the cop to the left of the tree.

Vince gasped as the bullet hit his shoulder. He slid to the ground, keeping his back against the tree.

Roy watched as the red bloodstain grew on Vince's shirtsleeve. He had to get to him. He slowly crawled over to Vince then held himself close to the tree as he took off his belt and wrapped it around Vince's arm "This will stop the bleeding."

Roy could hear the sound of sirens in the distance. "Help is coming Vince. Stay here and don't move again." Roy picked up the revolver Vince had dropped. He crawled back to the safe cover of the trees.

Hank stood as Roy entered the cover of the trees. He took the gun from him. <> Roy tried to hold onto it. He didn't want Hank to be the one to kill Johnny's father. He knew it would have to be done but it didn't have to be Hank.

"No Hank, let me do this." Roy looked at Hank. He had placed his hand over the gun.

"Roy, I have to do this." Hank looked back to the cabin and he looked at the gun in his hand. He use to be a damn good shot when he was in the military. He hoped he had not lost his touch, cause he would only get one shot.

Roy could only shake his head. He was almost glad that Hank was going to do this deadly deed. But he worried that maybe their relationship would end as a result of it.
*****

Roderick was sure that he had hit the cop, he had not seen any movement outside, for the last several minutes. Maybe he and Johnny could get out to the truck and get away. He walked over to get Johnny onto his feet; they would have to try it now.

Johnny watched as his father approached him. He had jumped as he heard the first shot. Now he feared that his father would kill him.

"Let's go boy." Roderick pulled Johnny to his feet.

Johnny was not very stable on his feet and that made Roderick have to hold him up more. Roderick wrapped his arm around Johnny's waist and pulled him over to the door. He opened it and together they waked out onto the porch of the cabin.

Hank saw the door open. He took careful aim, but he had to lowered the gun when he saw that Roderick was using Johnny as a sheild. "JOHNNY DROP!" Hank yelled as he took aim again.

Johnny heard a voice that sounded like his lover's. He tried to turn to look "Hank?" He called out as he tried to drop as Hank had said. His father pulled him closer.

Roderick pulled Johnny closer to him. 'That bastard was still alive' he thought. He pointed the gun in the direction of the voice. He fired off a round and saw where it hit the tree.

Johnny could not let his father kill Hank. He grabbed for the hand that held the gun. His father's grip slipped from his waist and Johnny stumbled as a shot rang out.

 

part 9

Everything went into slow motion for Hank Stanley. He saw the two Los Angles County Sheriffs Department cars arrive, He saw the two Deputies getting out and to draw their guns. His mind shifted to Roderick, he was held Johnny close to his body. He watched as Johnny struggled with his father He raised the gun and took aim. He heard a shot and watched Johnny fall to the ground.

Roderick was in the open now Hank squeezed the trigger. He heard two more shots fire at the same time.

Roderick's body jerked as three holes ripped through his chest. He fell to his knees; the last sight he saw was his son. Roderick Two Bears fell to the ground dead.

Sargent Wayne Killion approached the suspect with his Smith and Wesson .38 still drawn. He kicked the small gun from the suspects' hand. He could see three bullet holes in him. He called for the other Deputy. He checked the hostage. He was still alive.

Hank looked at the gun in his hand, he let it fall to the ground, and he and Roy began to run towards the cabin at the same time. They watched as the Sargent kicked the gun from Roderick's hand, and as he leaned over Roderick. They both dropped to their knees beside Johnny.

Roy took Johnny's pulse. It was there but weak. He turned Johnny over and found what he was hoping he would not. Johnny had been shot in the lower left side of the abdomen

Hank watched as Roy checked Johnny over. He gasped as Roy turned him over and he saw the blood.

"Hank I need something to stop the bleeding" Roy had his hands covering the wound.

Chet pulled off his shirt and handed it to Roy. Mike and Marco gave theirs as well.

Sargent Killion needed to talk to the other men involved in the shooting. The man had dropped the gun as he came to the aid of the hostage.

Vince made it to his feet and walked slowly to the Sargent, he introduced himself. "Sargent, I'm Officer Vince Howard with the LAPD. These men are with me; they are with the LA County Fire Department. Roy Desoto is a paramedic, Hank Stanley is their Captain, Mike Stoker is an Engineer, Chet Kelly and Marco Lopez are Firefighters. The man on the ground is Johnny Gage, he is the partner of Roy Desoto." Vince had pointed to each man as he spoke his name.

Sargent Killion noticed that Vince was wounded." You all right"

"Yes Sir, I'm fine. At least I'm better then Johnny looks to be." Vince looked over at Roy as he tried to stop the bleeding from Johnny's wound.

Hank was in a daze, his lover was dying before his eyes and there was nothing he could do but watch and pray.

Roy had nothing, no equipment, no IV's. He had to get Johnny to the hospital. He could lose Johnny for the lack of a two-dollar IV.

"We have to get him to the Hospital" Roy yelled out to anyone who would listen.

Sargent Killion stepped forward. "Let's get him in my car. I'll call ahead and have everything set up when we get there."

Roy agreed; they had to move fast. "Don't call the hospital, call in for Station 16's they will have what we need. Make sure the squad is there."

Hank and Mike helped Roy to get Johnny in the back seat of the patrol car. Roy climbed in beside him. He tossed Johnny's keys to Chet.

"Chet, bring Vince in with you." Roy looked at Vince

Vince nodded his head and waved them off.
*****

The patrol car rolled out with Johnny, Roy and Hank. The sounds of the sirens disappeared after only a few minutes. Marco, Chet and Mike stood and watched as they left in a cloud of dust.

Hank watched as Roy pressed the shirts into the wound on his lover. He wanted to tell Johnny that he was safe, that he loved him and to hang on just a little longer, they where almost to 16's. Instead he had to settle for just saying a silent prayer that Johnny would live.

They pulled up to the station where the paramedics with 16 's were waiting for them. Roy began shouting what he wanted and they all worked to save Johnny's life. The IV's were established and the life saving drugs administrated, they loaded Johnny into the ambulance. Hank rode in the front of the ambulance and Roy in the back.
*****

To Roy it seamed to take forever to get to Rampart Hospital. His friend's vitals were stable now. Roy took the time to really look at what had been done to him.

Roy could see welts and bruises everywhere, Johnny was very dehydrated, and had lost some weight. His face had cuts; his eyes swollen almost shut. The wound it self was not as bad as it had seamed. It was a clean shot, both an entry and an exit, there was power burns around the entry site, and the bullet had entered an inch from his side down low, just above the hipbone. Johnny was lucky that the bullet had gone through him. Wounds from small guns had a tendency to ricochet around inside the body, causing massive damage.

Roy held Johnny's hand as they speed to Rampart.

The next couple of hours where the longest of Hank's life. Johnny had been taken first into a room at Emergency and then rushed him up to surgery.

Roy had watched Hank paced back and forth in the doctors' lounge. He had started to drink several cups of coffee only to leave them sitting on the table as he began to pace again. Roy slowly opened the door and slipped out.

Hank had sent Chet, Mike and Marco home, they where all missing their shirts and where covered in dirt and dust from the drive home. He jumped as the door opened.

Roy walked back in to the lounge, Dix had told him that Vince would be fine. The bullet had been taken out and he was in recovery.

"Roy?" Hank walked up to Roy.

"Dix said that Vince will be fine. She didn't have any information on Johnny but said she would try to find out how he is doing and let us know."

Roy laid his hand onto Hank's shoulders

 

part 10 soon